PDA

View Full Version : Schools that Don't Share Tapes

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Several reports out on the 'Net and in the print that schools are not exchanging game tapes...

Exchanging tape is an understood practice amongst schools, whether they be high schools or colleges. Most teams understand that this is the ethical manner in which teams should engage with each other before a contest. Not exchanging tapes is lame!

Have there been any other recent cases of I-AA schools not exchanging tapes? Here's two I found on the web...

-------------
According to Matt Jackson of Sportsradio 610 in Houston, Melvin Spears of Grambling did not exchange tapes with the Cougars of the University of Houston.

Yes, Grambling did have a game on ESPN2 against Hampton, but come on...
--------------------
TENNESSEE STATE WON'T TRADE TAPES

Comegy said he was a little irritated earlier in the week when Tennessee State decided not to exchange game tapes with JSU to help prepare for the game.

"Our assistant (Darrin) Hayes usually handles that stuff and up until this week it was good to go," Comegy said. "But then TSU said they didn't want to exchange with us because we weren't in their conference.

"I don't want to make a huge deal about it, but something the magnitude of this game should have some kind of tape exchange worked into the deal."

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pb...53/1073/SPORTS

AppGuy04
September 16th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Not trading tapes = "I'm scared"

swaghook
September 16th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Scared or they managed to get tapes of the opposing team already and don't want to give the opposing team the same opportunity to study their plays.:nonono2:

kats89
September 16th, 2006, 10:21 AM
UAM and SHSU didnt trade tapes for the game last week, not that it really mattered. Apparently we traded tapes with SMU, but we were so basic last week there was nothing to look at. You know though tha coaches have relationships all over the country and I am sure they can call another school to gain some tape on an opponent.

elkmcc
September 16th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Most Griz fans anyway are aware of the UNI refusal to share film of their 2000 team. Made for bad blood for the semi final event as fans and coaches alike took offense to it. In the end it didn't matter 38-0 Griz. The game in retrospect became more known for the streaker and the "punch" than anything else.

SDSU apparently refused to share with the Griz last week and I could sense that Bobby Hauck was a bit peeved about it. In the end, again it didn't matter. Griz 37-7. SDSU's coach got pissy at BH for faking the punt with less than a minute left in the game. Bobby got a little pissy with SDSU's coach because he took a time out with less than a minute left in the game. Bobby said something to the extent of " I guess they just wanted to play some more so we obliged".

Chi Panther
September 16th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Title of this thread made me laugh.....as I knew it would only take seconds for the UNI at Montana 2001 game to be discussed......:rotateh:

Reed Rothchild
September 16th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Actually, UNI was more than willing to share tapes with the Griz once they knew that they would be actually playing the Griz. The thing that Griz fans fail to realize is that Montana asked for game film a week before game week for UNI v Griz. UNI still had to play Maine in the playoffs before they were to head to Wa-Griz when the Griz coach asked for film.

elkmcc
September 16th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Title of this thread made me laugh.....as I knew it would only take seconds for the UNI at Montana 2001 game to be discussed......:rotateh:

I think you are right. 2001.

Chi Panther
September 16th, 2006, 10:44 AM
I think you are right. 2001.

2 fine spankings Montana put on UNI and SHSU

First Round (12/1):
Montana 28, Northwestern St. 19 (Missoula, Mont. 17,289)
Sam Houston St. 34, Northern Ariz. 31 (Huntsville, Tex. 8,143)
Maine 14, McNeese St. 10 (Lake Charles, La. 12,450)
UNI 49, Eastern Ill. 43 (Charleston, Ill. 6,824)
Ga. Southern 60, Florida A&M 35 (Statesboro, Ga. 9,884)
Appalachian St. 40, William & Mary 27 (Boone, N.C. 5,279)
Lehigh 27, Hofstra 24 (ot) (Bethlehem, Pa. 10,131)
Furman 24, Western Ky. 20 (Greenville, S.C. 6,143)
Quarterfinals (12/8):
Montana 49, Sam Houston St. 24 (Missoula, Mont. 18,125)
UNI 56, Maine 28 (Cedar Falls, Ia. 9,525)
Ga. Southern 38, Appalachian St. 24 (Statesboro, Ga. 9,352)
Furman 34, Lehigh 17 (Greenville, S.C. 10,189)
Semifinals (12/15):
Montana 38, UNI 0 (Missoula, Mont. 18,848)
Furman 24, Ga. Southern 17 (Statesboro, Ga. 11,827)
Championship (12/21):
Montana 13, Furman 6 (Chattanooga, Tenn. 12,698)

texcap
September 16th, 2006, 11:42 AM
For the most part it just creates a media and fan uproar and does little to help the team that is being obstinate. Most teams would be able to get tapes of the other teams through their opponents if they were not able to get them directly from the team. Even though Grambling did not give tapes to Houston I am sure that Grambling’s previous opponents would be more than willing to accommodate.

NoCoDanny
September 16th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Last season Western Illinois wouldn't exchange tapes with us.

Retro
September 16th, 2006, 06:01 PM
I know a few years ago Jacksonville State's Jack Crowe wouldn't or didn't send a tape to Mcneese despite indicating he would.

TexasTerror
September 27th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Deriso is reporting that PVA&M head coach Henry Frazier is not getting any tape from Grambling...

Frazier says Grambling never exchanged game film, a common courtesy - and something critical in that GSU ran a radically remade offense with new passer Larry Kerlegan in its last outing against the University of Houston.

"We haven't gotten any film yet; I know the conference is checking into it," Frazier said during that same teleconference. "We've been looking at last year's tape. We looked at two years ago with (injured former GSU starter) Brandon Landers."

http://www.thenewsstar.com/news/blogs/blog3/2006/09/bad-blood.html

griz37
September 27th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Actually, UNI was more than willing to share tapes with the Griz once they knew that they would be actually playing the Griz. The thing that Griz fans fail to realize is that Montana asked for game film a week before game week for UNI v Griz. UNI still had to play Maine in the playoffs before they were to head to Wa-Griz when the Griz coach asked for film.

Our coaches just knew that we were the 2 better teams & would be meeting the following weekend. Farley just needed to have faith. :smiley_wi

JMU2004
September 27th, 2006, 08:25 AM
CCU pulled this with JMU last year

rokamortis
September 27th, 2006, 01:06 PM
CCU pulled this with JMU last year

Hah - I knew a JMU fan would bring this up. Don't let facts get in the way of your post. The truth is that Micky wanted many tapes - I believe for the entire past season. Bennett said it is customary to provide the previous two weeks and that's what he offered.

ASU Kep
September 27th, 2006, 02:51 PM
NC State wouldn't trade with us.

jstate83
September 27th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Jackson State and Tennessee State has a looooooooooong history of not trading tapes.
Even the coaches talk shat to each other bout this.xlolx
Just add's to the "gameday Trash talk".

Nobody told Comegy this....................He know better now. :nod: xlolx :nod:

Tailbone
September 27th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Let 'em buy their own damn tape.

scotch tape: $1.39 /roll
Duct tape: $3.29 /roll

sending the opposing coach a roll of duct tape: priceless. :D

Proud Griz Man
September 27th, 2006, 07:55 PM

How did the timing (2 weeks = no, one week = yes) of the "request" change UNI's answer? I am not sure that I follow you Reed. :read: