PDA

View Full Version : Cullowhee, NC and WCU welcome two sports bars to campus!

catamount man
August 16th, 2013, 07:30 AM
http://www.smokymountainnews.com/news/item/11511-wcu-students-return-to-new-nightlife-landscape-this-year

May head up next week to sample Cullowings and Tuck's Tap and grille. Hey, at least the students don't have to drive to Sylva or Maggie Valley anymore. Growth is a positive thing! GO CATS!xthumbsupx

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 16th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Is it physically on campus? Temple had two on-campus bars given its location. The one, The Draught Horse, excepted meal money. It was incredible....

MR. CHICKEN
August 16th, 2013, 08:15 AM
18020.............YA'LL....GONNA NEED......WATERIN' HOLES...WHIFF YER SKEDULE.....AWK!

Smitty
August 16th, 2013, 08:16 AM
I think it is right outside of campus.

pike51
August 16th, 2013, 08:16 AM
Alcohol in Cullowhee? Shock and horror!!

Apphole
August 16th, 2013, 08:22 AM
I couldn't imagine going to a school without a bar scene. Good for y'all.

ASUG8
August 16th, 2013, 08:26 AM
Welcome to Boone circa 1990.

SpeedkingATL
August 16th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Now that's progress! Congratulations.

ASUG8
August 16th, 2013, 08:38 AM
I've always thought that Cullowhee had a lot of potential if they would just loosen up the laws a little. It's situated in a great spot with loads of space available for development.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 16th, 2013, 08:43 AM
I just checked out Collowhee on google maps, WOW!! I didn't realize how un-developed it was. There's literally not a town, rather a few sub-divisions. I'm assuming that's where most of the faculty live?

texcap
August 16th, 2013, 10:56 AM
I just checked out Collowhee on google maps, WOW!! I didn't realize how un-developed it was. There's literally not a town, rather a few sub-divisions. I'm assuming that's where most of the faculty live?

Most of the faculty that I have spoken with live in Waynesville, which is about 30 minutes from campus. I also believe that some live in Asheville and make the 1 hour commute.

It has got to be one of the most isolated mid to large size universities in the country. I know that URI does not have much development around its campus, but it has some larger areas close by.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 16th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Most of the faculty that I have spoken with live in Waynesville, which is about 30 minutes from campus. I also believe that some live in Asheville and make the 1 hour commute.

It has got to be one of the most isolated mid to large size universities in the country. I know that URI does not have much development around its campus, but it has some larger areas close by.

I don't think there's a school that comes closes. Morehead State is the only school that comes to mind. They at least have a legitimate town though...

Storrs, CT and Kingston, RI aren't really towns (basically a post office) but they're within a stones throw of a major metro area.

catamount man
August 16th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Cullowhee actually IS a town but it's pretty much WCU and all the amenities of a town mostly on campus. Post office, several churches, banks, etc right on campus. Old Cullowhee Rd, just right outside campus, has a lot of businesses and off campus student housing. Forest Hills, a "village" is also located nearby. Any growth is great and I think only more good things are gonna happen to the area. Certainly hope so. GO CATS!

ASUMountaineer
August 16th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Cullowhee actually IS a town but it's pretty much WCU and all the amenities of a town mostly on campus. Post office, several churches, banks, etc right on campus. Old Cullowhee Rd, just right outside campus, has a lot of businesses and off campus student housing. Forest Hills, a "village" is also located nearby. Any growth is great and I think only more good things are gonna happen to the area. Certainly hope so. GO CATS!

Interesting. I'm shocked that the UNC system would allow an on-campus bar, and to allow it to serve alcohol.

pike51
August 16th, 2013, 01:15 PM

Is the area up by the Jackson County courthouse considered Cullowhee? When my dad went to school there back in the 60's, he said they had a small movie theater but had to drive to Ashville for anything fun.

Edit: I looked it up... that area would be Sylva.

The Cats
August 16th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Is the area up by the Jackson County courthouse considered Cullowhee? When my dad went to school there back in the 60's, he said they had a small movie theater but had to drive to Ashville for anything fun.

Edit: I looked it up... that area would be Sylva.

The area around the Jackson County courthouse is Sylva, which is about 5 miles from campus.

catamount man
August 16th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Interesting. I'm shocked that the UNC system would allow an on-campus bar, and to allow it to serve alcohol.

It's slightly off campus, but to me, every bit of Cullowhee is essentially WCU. GO CATS!

SU DOG
August 16th, 2013, 03:22 PM
I SINCERELY hope that this works out well for WCU - one of my favorite places for road trips. I'm sure I will get some incoming blasts for even mentioning this, BUT we all know that alcohol and these kids can have another side. Here is hoping that under-age kids don't just have another easier way to buy(even admitting that it's probably not hard to do now). Regardless of what may be said at this time, this is possibly a concern. I am NOT predicting anything nor do I wish to throw water on the celebration here. Again, I'm just saying that I hope this development works out well for the Catamounts and the town. I've certainly always held this place in highest esteem, and I hope this post comes across in the spirit that I am writing it.

AppChicago
August 16th, 2013, 03:34 PM
I SINCERELY hope that this works out well for WCU - one of my favorite places for road trips. I'm sure I will get some incoming blasts for even mentioning this, BUT we all know that alcohol and these kids can have another side. Here is hoping that under-age kids don't just have another easier way to buy(even admitting that it's probably not hard to do now). Regardless of what may be said at this time, this is possibly a concern. I am NOT predicting anything nor do I wish to throw water on the celebration here. Again, I'm just saying that I hope this development works out well for the Catamounts and the town. I've certainly always held this place in highest esteem, and I hope this post comes across in the spirit that I am writing it.

If you're legitimately worried about underage drinking xrolleyesx, a bar is the best thing that could happen for you. Even a lax bar has tighter ID restrictions than a house party.

catamount man
August 16th, 2013, 03:45 PM
If you're legitimately worried about underage drinking xrolleyesx, a bar is the best thing that could happen for you. Even a lax bar has tighter ID restrictions than a house party. THIS PLUS 100!!! GO CATS!!!

catamount man
August 16th, 2013, 03:46 PM

We know what you meant and I sincerely hope WCU can beat you guys. LOL! Y'all have been a thorn in our side for too long. Last year's game was a barn burner though. Good luck except September 28. GO CATS!