PDA

View Full Version : Yale Bowl ready for opener

bulldog10jw
September 15th, 2006, 08:44 AM
http://www.nhregister.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17199561&BRD=1281&PAG=461&dept_id=517517&rfi=6

WEST HAVEN -- The refurbished Yale Bowl -- a $21 million project that includes 18 miles of new bench seating -- will be ready for the start of Yale’s 134th season Saturday at noon against San Diego University.

http://www.courant.com/sports/college/hc-yalebowl0913.artsep13,0,7728927.story?coll=hc-headlines-sports-college

"It's really a spectacular project. We probably are about 95 percent completed with the first phase of the restoration. There will be a second phase to follow [at the end of the season] that will include a new halftime room, a plaza outside the Bowl, and we're talking with some folks about a video scoreboard that will be added to the Bowl."

Ivytalk
September 15th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Great news! No more blue splinters!:p

Pard4Life
September 15th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Cool.. yet another stadium opening this weekend :hurray:

If Lafayette can afford a jumbo board, I think Yale can cough one up no problem. Should be great when the Pards visit in 2008 or 2009.

Husky Alum
September 15th, 2006, 07:52 PM
My dad (who was an usher at the Bowl in the mid to late 1950s as a kid) got a sneak peak at the Bowl the other day and said it looked "as beautiful as it did in the 1950s".

I haven't been to the Bowl in a bunch of years, but not seeing the Bowl full of fans just s-ucks, as I remember ushering there in the late 70s and early 80s when a small Yale crowd would be 20K.

aceinthehole
September 15th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Great for Yale and New Haven! Looks very nice. That is just a great and historic facility. Its too bad they let it get that bad before the renovation.

Bulldog - what's your insight on tomorrow's game vs. USD? I'm hoping for a big win by the Elis!

BTW - I see you guys have an open date for week 1 next year. Any chance you guys would invite CCSU down for a game? I think it would be a good game.

bulldog10jw
September 15th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Great for Yale and New Haven! Looks very nice. That is just a great and historic facility. Its too bad they let it get that bad before the renovation.

Bulldog - what's your insight on tomorrow's game vs. USD? I'm hoping for a big win by the Elis!

BTW - I see you guys have an open date for week 1 next year. Any chance you guys would invite CCSU down for a game? I think it would be a good game.

No open date next year. Georgetown is scheduled to be the opener. Yale is probably booked for 10 years, unless they have enough brains to add an 11th game. If they did I would like to see them schedule both CCSU and Sacred Heart once every 5 years or so. I think it's good to play the instate teams you can compete with.

Yale usually plays well in openers at home. A lot depends on the new QB on offense and an inexperienced secondary on defense. Look for them to try to pound the ball to keep USD's talented QB off the field. I expect McLeod to get the ball 20-25 times.

bulldog10jw
September 15th, 2006, 11:29 PM
My dad (who was an usher at the Bowl in the mid to late 1950s as a kid) got a sneak peak at the Bowl the other day and said it looked "as beautiful as it did in the 1950s".

I haven't been to the Bowl in a bunch of years, but not seeing the Bowl full of fans just s-ucks, as I remember ushering there in the late 70s and early 80s when a small Yale crowd would be 20K.

Ask your Dad if he remembers when the seats were gray instead of blue. I think they painted them blue in the '60's.