PDA

View Full Version : B1G backing down from anti-FCS stance?

Lehigh Football Nation
August 13th, 2013, 10:15 AM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/408938/group/homepage/

The Indiana State-Minnesota game was scrapped, although not officially, with the Terre Haute Tribune-Star newspaper reporting that Minnesota actually helped ISU find another opponent for that season.

But it appears Minnesota had second thoughts and decided to honor the original deal with the Sycamores. The school will get a $475,000 guarantee for playing at TCF Bank Stadium.

“I’m not privy to it, but Minnesota and the Big Ten might have changed philosophy on some things,” ISU assistant athletic director John Sherman told the Tribune-Star.

Said Taylor: “I would say that signals that the Big Ten is maybe not taking as hard of a stance as they were originally.”

Taylor said he wonders if the Big Ten is re-thinking its policy, given the fact no other FBS conference came out with a similar policy. NDSU is still open to an FBS opponent for 2015, but Taylor said there have been no discussions with a Big Ten school.

Finally, sanity is returning. xlolx xlolx xlolx

Laker
August 13th, 2013, 10:27 AM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/408938/group/homepage/

Finally, sanity is returning. xlolx xlolx xlolx

I'm guessing that the Gophers might want to play some FCS teams, but will probably dodge NDSU even though the Bank would be full- it might be embarrassing to have more Bison than Gopher fans there!

Bogus Megapardus
August 13th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Does this mean that a Middle Three Conference round robin once again is a possibility?

Lehigh Football Nation
August 13th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Does this mean that a Middle Three Conference round robin once again is a possibility?

Let's hope, Bogie. Let's hope.

IBleedYellow
August 13th, 2013, 10:56 AM
But but but, EVERYONE was supposed to follow suit?!

Maybe they got knocked down by the other FBS conferences and were told STFU about FCS.

TheDancinMonarch
August 13th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Maryland and Rutgers have to have someone to beat!

NoDak 4 Ever
August 13th, 2013, 11:05 AM
HAH! I knew it.

Sandlapper Spike
August 13th, 2013, 11:33 AM
But but but, EVERYONE was supposed to follow suit?!

Maybe they got knocked down by the other FBS conferences and were told STFU about FCS.

I think the Big 10 was expecting other leagues to do the same thing, and so far that isn't really happening.

dbackjon
August 13th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Good!

SUPharmacist
August 13th, 2013, 12:05 PM
While I would enjoy seeing some competitive FCS-FBS games. I really could care less about the Big Ten's stance. We will probably see a resumption of these games, but more of an effort by FBS to only schedule low quality FCS teams.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 13th, 2013, 12:10 PM
While I would enjoy seeing some competitive FCS-FBS games. I really could care less about the Big Ten's stance. We will probably see a resumption of these games, but more of an effort by FBS to only schedule low quality FCS teams.

It helps with the travel. B1G schools, by and large, are easy to get to.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 13th, 2013, 12:37 PM

Don't know how serious you are being but there is some truth to this and this is exactly what I have said before. Schools like Indiana, Northwestern, and Maryland don't want to pass up a chance to count an FCS win towards their bowl eligibility.

Bisonator
August 13th, 2013, 12:41 PM
I'm guessing the B1G schools have started to get requests for big $ from the little 5 schools for those OOC games and realized the FCS games do have at least one advantage!

Lehigh Football Nation
August 13th, 2013, 12:45 PM
I'm guessing the B1G schools have started to get requests for big $ from the little 5 schools for those OOC games and realized the FCS games do have at least one advantage!

... which is what I said the very day the B1G tried this tomfoolery.

The B1G will now replacing $350,000 guarantee games against Northern Iowa with a $500,000 guarantee games against Eastern Michigan. It is their prerogative to do so. They will spend more money for games no less compelling than FCS vs. FBS matchups that will not help their strength of schedule and will get them no more ready for the plus-one playoff.

The "ban" will be dead in five years. Illinois, Northwestern and Indiana will be leading the charge.

About the only things I got wrong was the scope of the money (~$500K for FCS, $1M+ for "little 5") and the school (Minnesota vs. Indiana or Illinois).

TheDancinMonarch
August 13th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Don't know how serious you are being but there is some truth to this and this is exactly what I have said before. Schools like Indiana, Northwestern, and Maryland don't want to pass up a chance to count an FCS win towards their bowl eligibility.

Deadly serious.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 13th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Deadly serious.

Not a real stretch anyway. This was clearly driven by the top of the conference - Wisconsin, Ohio State, and probably Michigan to get over the SEC bias of a tough conference.

The SEC at the bottom isn't much better than the B1G or any other BCS conference. The top teams will get into the playoff but the bottom teams will still be scrambling to get to the win threshold for a bowl game.

Jazzman1522
August 13th, 2013, 01:07 PM
You'd think Minnesota would want to avoid FCS games at all cost

NoDak 4 Ever
August 13th, 2013, 01:13 PM
You'd think Minnesota would want to avoid FCS games at all cost

Well they aren't going to get any better if they don't play teams that are superior to them.

Bisonoline
August 13th, 2013, 02:08 PM
Well they aren't going to get any better if they don't play teams that are superior to them.

Well played!!!!!

RichH2
August 13th, 2013, 02:18 PM

I would love that.

Go...gate
August 13th, 2013, 04:03 PM

It would be nice to see Colgate play Rutgers again. That was a great series.

Go...gate
August 13th, 2013, 04:06 PM

I think that would be great for Eastern College Football. xthumbsupx

tourguide
August 13th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Dont see how any could have taken this seriously when announced. How can you set a policy but have to consequences if you break the policy? How can you make a rule and have no penalty if you break the rule? I mean if it was that easy, why not cancel all penalties in football and just create a Big Ten mandate saying no more holding? Someone would ask, well if there is no penalty for holding how will it stop and some genius at the Big Ten would say, because we asked them to stop. But what happens if they do hold? Nothing will happen cause there are no penalties, but we told people not to do it so they will listen.

HAHA get a grip Big Ten, you are barely in the power 5 conferences, this idea was not going to help your cause

darell1976
August 13th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Hopefully Minnesota will schedule UND however they will have to wait til after UND plays the 2 PAC 12 teams recently signed.

dbackjon
August 13th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Dont see how any could have taken this seriously when announced. How can you set a policy but have to consequences if you break the policy? How can you make a rule and have no penalty if you break the rule? I mean if it was that easy, why not cancel all penalties in football and just create a Big Ten mandate saying no more holding? Someone would ask, well if there is no penalty for holding how will it stop and some genius at the Big Ten would say, because we asked them to stop. But what happens if they do hold? Nothing will happen cause there are no penalties, but we told people not to do it so they will listen.

HAHA get a grip Big Ten, you are barely in the power 5 conferences, this idea was not going to help your cause

Bahaha - B1G and the SEC are the power 5. Rest are along for the ride.

MplsBison
August 13th, 2013, 09:36 PM
All I'm saying is: before you declare victory, you might want to check what Barry Alvarez and Jim Delany think about this article.

Because to me, it seems like the Fargo, ND newspaper is quoting the NDSU athletic director as saying "as far as I know, we're still on Iowa's 2016 schedule...I'll let you know if they buy us out. Oh and by the way, I have absolutely no inside knowledge about what the Big Ten athletic directors are thinking, but here's an opinion on what I hope it means as it would be nice for my school."

And it also quotes the IN St assistant athletic director (because the actual athletic director is too busy to take a call from the newspaper in Fargo, ND) as saying "I thought they bought us out too, but apparently they decided not to buy us out. I have no idea why they did that, but it works for us."

Not exactly profound.

ecasadoSBU
August 14th, 2013, 12:31 AM

This caught my attention. Barely? how is that so. I have no connection to the Big Ten... But I don't know if there is a better conference in this country. The tradition, loyal fan base, quality of education is second to none.

Go Green
August 14th, 2013, 06:05 PM
... which is what I said the very day the B1G tried this tomfoolery.

About the only things I got wrong was the scope of the money (~$500K for FCS, $1M+ for "little 5") and the school (Minnesota vs. Indiana or Illinois).

And Maryland will need every to save every dime possible with its deficit.

ttp://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/despite-move-to-greener-pastures-marylands-lean-years-likely-to-continue/2013/08/13/1ea58258-0423-11e3-88d6-d5795fab4637_story.html

IBleedYellow
August 14th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Bahaha - B1G and the SEC are the power 5. Rest are along for the ride.

I am starting to be of the belief that the B1G is nothing compared to the other Big 5 conferences, especially in football. Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska and Wisconsin, any of the B1G's other programs are garbage.

MplsBison
August 14th, 2013, 06:59 PM
I am starting to be of the belief that the B1G is nothing compared to the other Big 5 conferences, especially in football. Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska and Wisconsin, any of the B1G's other programs are garbage.

Then you'd be just like everyone else who thinks that the scores on the scoreboards mean more than the dollar signs.

SUPharmacist
August 14th, 2013, 08:10 PM

Well, this is a football forum, and on the state of the big ten football programs I will agree with you. But, if we are looking across all sports, into academics, at fan bases, and the conference revenue the big ten maybe the top conference. The SEC may be there daddy in football, but I don't think there is another conference I would hold before them in football.

Bogus Megapardus
August 14th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Well, this is a football forum, and on the state of the big ten football programs I will agree with you. But, if we are looking across all sports, into academics, at fan bases, and the conference revenue the big ten maybe the top conference. The SEC may be there daddy in football, but I don't think there is another conference I would hold before them in football.

Big 10 schools play many, many FCS schools in sports other than football. It seems kind of shortsighted for the Big 10 ADs to alienate long term, loyal opponents in other sports.

Pard4Life
August 14th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Big 10 schools play many, many FCS schools in sports other than football. It seems kind of shortsighted for the Big 10 ADs to alienate long term, loyal opponents in other sports.

Good point; they need OOC basketball wins.

Catatonic
August 15th, 2013, 07:30 AM

The SEC placed 3 teams in the top 10 for the Director's Cup (all sports), more than any other conference. Florida placed second, behind Standford. The highest ranking for a BIG school was 4th. http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nacda/sports/directorscup/auto_pdf/2013-14/misc_non_event/June27release.pdf

The SEC and BIG each have 4 teams among the top 10 in terms of revenue. This before the SEC network is launched next year. http://espn.go.com/ncaa/revenue

Academics, the BIG is the unquestioned leader. Point granted.

Bogus Megapardus
August 15th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Academics, the BIG is the unquestioned leader. Point granted.

Which is why every Ivy and Patriot school plays multiple Big 10 opponents every season in everything except football. They come to us for these games because they want the academic association. In some of the more esoteric sports like fencing, rowing and squash, the Big 10 wouldn't even have opponents were it not for the FCS Ivy and Patriot.

So it takes some pretty B1G couilles for these guys to declare FCS schools off limits in football.

DFW HOYA
August 15th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Which is why every Ivy and Patriot school plays multiple Big 10 opponents every season in everything except football. They come to us for these games because they want the academic association. In some of the more esoteric sports like fencing, rowing and squash, the Big 10 wouldn't even have opponents were it not for the FCS Ivy and Patriot.

By looks of their schedules, American is not a Big 10 regular. Do they count?

Bogus Megapardus
August 15th, 2013, 11:36 AM
By looks of their schedules, American is not a Big 10 regular. Do they count?

No, but Georgetown does. xrolleyesx