PDA

View Full Version : Russell set standard for CCU at GSU

Coastal89
September 15th, 2006, 07:27 AM
"His accomplishments in the football program were tremendous," GSU presi-dent Bruce Grobe told The Associated Press. "Just as importantly, however, were the morals and ethics Erk instilled in his players and the positive impact he made on people he met in everyday life. His motto of 'Just do right' was his rule book on how to live one's life."

And that may be a more important measuring stick for Coastal than wins and losses - the impact football has on the campus overall.

CCU coach David Bennett, a big fan of Russell's, routinely ends his practices with the chant of "Do!" followed by the players' shout of "Right!"

CCU's enrollment, which has grown drastically since the start of football, mirrors GSU's, which grew from 6,600 to 11,000 students during Russell's eight years.

Whether or not CCU can match standards set by Russell at GSU remains to be seen, but just getting close is not bad company to keep.

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/myrtlebeachonline/sports/15524266.htm

dungeonjoe
September 15th, 2006, 07:44 AM
I think many comparisons between the origins of CCU's program and GSU can be made. I think CCU is in a good location to succeed as Georgia Southern was.

There is no college football draw on that side of the state of SC. I was counting on Francis Marion University getting football 10 years ago, but they chose not to. I think there indecision/non-decision has helped CCU's program.