PDA

View Full Version : "I-A WKU" playing at I-AA EKU

chattanoogamocs
September 14th, 2006, 07:05 PM
(disclaimer: apologies if this has been mentioned previously and I missed it)

So I am reading an article today on WKUHerald.com (top story) about the public discussion on moving to IA...typical stuff...students would pay for it thru fees, chance to play bigger schools on their home turf, etc, etc.

But what I found interesting/encouraging/surprising is that if WKU did want to jump to IA, they would not only want to keep their rivalry game with EKU...but to also play it 1 for 1, home for home, for the next 10 years.

Personally, I think it is a great attitude for WKU to not immediately "look down their nose" at IAA teams...I wish more schools would adopt the attitude...and I wonder if this was all to come to pass, that maybe WKU's decision would loosen up some other mid-tier IA institutions to the idea (Troy and JSU...MTSU and TTU...or Chattanooga...I am sure there are plenty of other examples all around the country, I am just thinking in my own backyard).

It all goes back to the point that besides more scholarship bodies on the sidelines, there is not a lot of competitive difference between IAA and mid-tier IA (or hell, for that matter...mid-level BCS ;)).

I like IAA, I like the playoffs...I love determining a champion on the field...but I would also like to see the line blur more between IA and IAA (Bowl Division and Championship Division).

IMO...WKU's attitude shows not only respect for their rival, but respect for the Championship Subdivision in general.

What do you guys think?

Ransdell said fans have expressed concern about losing Eastern as a rival if Western moves to Division I-A. He said he'd like a 10-year contract with the Division I-AA Colonels to continue the home-and-home rivalry.

Playing at a I-AA school as a I-A program is rare, but it is important to keep the regional rivalries alive, Ransdell said. :thumbsup:

EKU05
September 14th, 2006, 07:15 PM
I hope that happens if Western does go I-A. Wood Selig and Gary Randsell deserve credit for taking that into account (I think I just threw up a little bit in my mouth as I typed that).

Mr. C
September 14th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Considering how badly WKU draws for most of its schedule, the chance to play a game every two years with a big crowd at home should keep WKU in line. WKU needs EKU, I-A or I-AA.

Mr. C
September 14th, 2006, 07:30 PM
(disclaimer: apologies if this has been mentioned previously and I missed it)

So I am reading an article today on WKUHerald.com (top story) about the public discussion on moving to IA...typical stuff...students would pay for it thru fees, chance to play bigger schools on their home turf, etc, etc.

But what I found interesting/encouraging/surprising is that if WKU did want to jump to IA, they would not only want to keep their rivalry game with EKU...but to also play it 1 for 1, home for home, for the next 10 years.

Personally, I think it is a great attitude for WKU to not immediately "look down their nose" at IAA teams...I wish more schools would adopt the attitude...and I wonder if this was all to come to pass, that maybe WKU's decision would loosen up some other mid-tier IA institutions to the idea (Troy and JSU...MTSU and TTU...or Chattanooga...I am sure there are plenty of other examples all around the country, I am just thinking in my own backyard).

It all goes back to the point that besides more scholarship bodies on the sidelines, there is not a lot of competitive difference between IAA and mid-tier IA (or hell, for that matter...mid-level BCS ;)).

I like IAA, I like the playoffs...I love determining a champion on the field...but I would also like to see the line blur more between IA and IAA (Bowl Division and Championship Division).

IMO...WKU's attitude shows not only respect for their rival, but respect for the Championship Subdivision in general.

What do you guys think?

:thumbsup:
I think you are about to see more contracts with lower-level I-As going to I-AA campuses for game. I know of several such games that are currently being negotiated.

galojay
September 14th, 2006, 07:36 PM
It may be talk to get this through, it may happen. I would be suprised if EKU would agree. Why would you play your rival with a 22-scholarship disadvantage?

Maroons
September 14th, 2006, 07:43 PM
It may be talk to get this through, it may happen. I would be suprised if EKU would agree. Why would you play your rival with a 22-scholarship disadvantage?

My point exactly. Even if EKU won 3 or 4 of the 10 games, it would not be worth it in my opinion.

I understand Middle Tennessee wanted to do this with EKU as well... Eastern asked where the $200K payday was and MTSU declined.

ekufbfan
September 14th, 2006, 08:06 PM
I can hardly stomach it...EKU NEVER capitalized on their success after the National Championships and then on the success we enjoyed for a number of years after that time, and now another one of our peers appears to moving on. I hate to admit it, but this is a bummer. First Marshall, then MTSU and now maybe wku. All these teams we were competitive with, have beaten them numerous times and have had (bitter) rivalries with.

I'll say this, no way does EKU agree to go to BG every year. If we play, they will come to Richmond. THAT is the ONLY way this rivalry will ever continue.

Another note. I find it it quite interesting that according to reports out of Bowling Green, wku is financing the initial move on the backs of students (fees). The reality is, they will need EKU, at least in the beginning to have the attendance needed to draw fans, which means $$$ for the athletic department. Athletics (football) will have to produce revenue, because the state of KY does not have the funds to support wku football at this level, when the state is having trouble supporting health insurance for state employees.

GeauxColonels
September 14th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Personally, I think there are many more I-A teams that could benefit from a home-and-home series with a I-AA. Louisiana-Monroe, Louisiana-Lafayette and Louisiana Tech all come to mind in Louisiana. Both ULM and LaTech could schedule home-and-home with Northwestern State generating a LOT of interest in northern Louisiana and decent sized crowds. Also, I think that ULL and McNeese would be an incredible series with near sell out crowds yearly.

EKU05
September 14th, 2006, 08:32 PM
None of this stuff scares me. Has anyone seen MTSU tonight? A lot of teams initially go downhill with the transition period before rebounding after they clear some initial stumblings...plus it would be great hype in Richmond. I think it would be quite worth it...I'm wondering if it would be worth it for WKU. If EKU did win even 3 out of 10 that's not going to look good to a recruit who wanted to really play for a solid I-A team.

I wouldn't be for this if it was not a home and home scenario, but with games at home we would have our chances to win some football games...and the wins we got would be even sweeter.

JMU Duke Dog
September 14th, 2006, 08:34 PM
I think you are about to see more contracts with lower-level I-As going to I-AA campuses for game. I know of several such games that are currently being negotiated.

This is mostly just wishful thinking on my part but any involving JMU other than Liberty if and when the Flames go I-A/BCS?

JaxSinfonian
September 14th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Perfect timing! I had just swapped comments with a regular Troy poster over at www.gojaxstate.com about this. From his comments in the thread (http://www.gojaxstate.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2404&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15): "But, how many IA-s actually go to IAA stadiums? Very, very few. Troy won't be one of them."

Thanks for the ammo, WKU! Smart move on their part, if it actually comes to pass.

chattanoogamocs
September 14th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Another note. I find it it quite interesting that according to reports out of Bowling Green, wku is financing the initial move on the backs of students (fees).

That same article said that the school would increase student athletic fees $75 a semester (from the current $111)...it would raise about 2.2 million a year.

Mr. C
September 14th, 2006, 09:09 PM
This is mostly just wishful thinking on my part but any involving JMU other than Liberty if and when the Flames go I-A/BCS?
I don't see JMU going I-A anytime soon. If they are smart, they will stay where they are and build the infrastructure of the program. The things I'm hearing involve SoCon, OVC, Sun Belt and ACC teams, not teams in Virginia.

Mr. C
September 14th, 2006, 09:16 PM
My point exactly. Even if EKU won 3 or 4 of the 10 games, it would not be worth it in my opinion.

I understand Middle Tennessee wanted to do this with EKU as well... Eastern asked where the $200K payday was and MTSU declined.
Why wouldn't it be worth it? It's not like EKU has been dominating the series in recent years anyway. This is a good rivalry and I don't see WKU, 85 schollies or not, being that much better than EKU. The pay days make it worth keeping the game alive, if nothing else.

On the subject of Middle Tennessee, they will do whatever they can to help their attendance woes. Playing EKU might eventually be a better option for the Blue Raiders.

Retro
September 14th, 2006, 09:24 PM
You are very likely to see a home and home between UL-L and Mcneese after they play in 2007.. Talks have been in the works for this since next years game was set.

Maroons
September 14th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Why wouldn't it be worth it? It's not like EKU has been dominating the series in recent years anyway. This is a good rivalry and I don't see WKU, 85 schollies or not, being that much better than EKU. The pay days make it worth keeping the game alive, if nothing else.

On the subject of Middle Tennessee, they will do whatever they can to help their attendance woes. Playing EKU might eventually be a better option for the Blue Raiders.

No, Eastern hasn't been dominating the series... but it has been too close to grant WKU the extra schollies. For me, this series is about winning more than losing... it's not about posting 3 "moral victories" in a 10 game series.

And you must have misunderstood me about the paydays... MTSU did NOT offer a payoff. They wanted us to play without a payout. The WKU rivalry is probably similar.

Perhaps you mean the attendance boost as the payday...?

Killtoppers90
September 14th, 2006, 09:36 PM
I just hate to see the end to one of the greatest rivalries in the game go away!

ekufbfan
September 14th, 2006, 09:48 PM
I just hate to see the end to one of the greatest rivalries in the game go away!

AMEN! I have been going to football games for over 30 years, and they don't come any better than Eastern-Western!:thumbsup:

Mr. C
September 14th, 2006, 09:53 PM
No, Eastern hasn't been dominating the series... but it has been too close to grant WKU the extra schollies. For me, this series is about winning more than losing... it's not about posting 3 "moral victories" in a 10 game series.

And you must have misunderstood me about the paydays... MTSU did NOT offer a payoff. They wanted us to play without a payout. The WKU rivalry is probably similar.

Perhaps you mean the attendance boost as the payday...?
Yes the attendance boost has many positives, but what I meant about MTSU was that they are getting to the point where maybe it would be worth their while to pay some money out to get a team like EKU to come and play it. A lot of those Sun Belt teams need to drastically improve their attendance before the NCAA steps in and thumps them with penalties (which WILL happen eventually).

Maroons
September 14th, 2006, 10:08 PM
A lot of those Sun Belt teams need to drastically improve their attendance before the NCAA steps in and thumps them with penalties (which WILL happen eventually).

Will this ever happen? I am increasingly skeptical. I think it's more likely that the BCS eventually steps up and finds a way to put a new border up between the BCS and non-BCS I-As.

I agree completely, Killtoppers... but I don't think it will be healty for the rivalry for WKU to sport an advantage with the extra schollies.

Maybe you guys will finish the season 3-8 and move up and I'll be convinced that we'll be able to have our way with you I-A or not and I'll change my mind... but for now, it's not an advantage I'd be willing to grant.