PDA

View Full Version : App/G-W On TV!!, But......

MYTAPPY
September 14th, 2006, 03:58 PM
http://www.goasu.com/article/8792/?fSession=080fde401922bc71893fac800d678c4939cf3932

I'll probably stay away from a TV and Radio till 10, so not to spoil the game watching experience.

goasu984Life
September 14th, 2006, 04:03 PM
So, I'll be there, then I can come home and watch it. Nice!

MYTAPPY
September 14th, 2006, 04:07 PM
It is a short drive for me, but I have a stupid wedding to go to. Who plans a wedding on an App game day?? The nerve of them:nono:

goasu984Life
September 14th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Well, I can't say anything. I got married last year during the ASU/Georgia Southern game. Of course, I didn't get married until later in the day, and I was watching the game before I went off to the alter. Good thing my wife understood and we had televisions on football during the reception.

walliver
September 14th, 2006, 04:14 PM
I hope ESPNU positions their cameras so that the fact that the visiting team spends halftime on the field (it's a very cramped fieldhouse) doesn't show.

goasu984Life
September 14th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Hell, with it being tape delayed, they probably won't even do a halftime. They'll do a few commercials, go back to the studio for a minute, then back to the game.

JMU1992
September 14th, 2006, 05:05 PM
That just pisses me off even more that they could not find a way to get the ASU-JMU game on TV.

goasu984Life
September 14th, 2006, 05:10 PM
ESPNU offered to have the game, but they wanted to move it to Thursday night. The ASU officials refused, saying that that would not be logistically possible with a short week after playing against NC State in Raleigh.

SoCon48
September 14th, 2006, 05:18 PM
I hope ESPNU positions their cameras so that the fact that the visiting team spends halftime on the field (it's a very cramped fieldhouse) doesn't show.
You sure about that? It's 2006. Check this out:

http://www.gwusports.com/fls/10300/pdfs/FB2006-4.pdf?SPSID=46170&SPID=4160&DB_OEM_ID=10300

goasu984Life
September 14th, 2006, 05:23 PM
They've really done a lot of work there over the past few years. When I worked at G-Dub (which was 1999-200, just before the move up from D-II to I-AA), the facilities were not good. They really have upgraded since then, I went to the GW/Western game a few years back (my best friend made the incorrect decision to go to Western), and it was a totally different place than when I was there.

walliver
September 14th, 2006, 06:40 PM
You sure about that? It's 2006. Check this out:

http://www.gwusports.com/fls/10300/pdfs/FB2006-4.pdf?SPSID=46170&SPID=4160&DB_OEM_ID=10300

I was there in November 2005. Unless they have renovated the visitors section extensively since November, you will find the visitors side much inferior to the home stands. The restrooms were a joke. Their concession stand carries neither Coke or Pepsi products. The pictures to which you link are the home locker rooms. The brochure shows neither the visitor stands or the visitors locker room. Wofford's football team stayed outside at the half. Apparently the team could have fit in the fieldhouse, but logistacally it wouldn't work out. If they've fixed it up in the last 10 months then I stand corrected. Let me know after you see the facilities first hand. On the plus side, their tickets are dirt cheap.

SoCon48
September 14th, 2006, 06:50 PM
I knew it was showing the home locker room, but it would stand to reason that they would have at least something adequate for the visitors. Guess not.

ASU Kep
September 14th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Wish I could go, but unfortunately I'll be watching it on TV.

adrianb
September 15th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Coke and Pepsi blah.
You're in Cleveland County, you drink Sun Drop or you do without.

It's strange, I missed the Wofford game last year, but I have not seen a team spend a whole halftime outside the visitors field house. Now in pregames I have seen teams split up for meetings with position coaches. So I guess its a little tight for that.

My question is if it was so tight why did'nt Coach Ayers and his mad Martial Art skills knock down a wall or two? :)

kicker
September 15th, 2006, 12:27 PM
walliver, i was at g-dubb's game with tenn tech last saturday & no one from ttu was forced to stay on the field at half-time. how many players does wofford have; 300????

Thumper250
September 15th, 2006, 12:53 PM
The visitor's locker room at G-W isn't large, but it's a combination of about four locker rooms that are usually used by soccer and track, I think. There will be plenty of room at halftime.

In the olden days, when ETSU and UTC of the Southern Conference visited back in 2002 or so, they did set up tents. The home team met down in the weight room below the current visitors locker area.

It's a nice facility. I think Appalachian folks will be surprised. It's close to on par with many of the SoCon schools already, minus ASU, GSU, Chatty. Not quite as nice a stadium as Rhodes, but it's a renovation, not a new build. Misses some of the continuity as a result. It's not as large as most, but remember the 8,000 capacity doesn't include those monster banks and hills around the field either. They packed almost 12K in there for some high school scrimmage two summers ago.

For G-W to average 4-6K fans a game at home is impressive considering the town of B.S. is just a little over 3,000 and the on-campus student body is just a little over 2K.

And, as a reminder to our Appalachian tailgating brethren...it's a dry town, so keep "it" in a cup to be safe.

AppStWill
September 15th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Coke and Pepsi blah.
You're in Cleveland County, you drink Sun Drop or you do without.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Or if you go down 74 east a little ways, you stop at RO's and get a cherry-lemon Sundrop! :nod:

SoCon48
September 15th, 2006, 03:44 PM
The visitor's locker room at G-W isn't large, but it's a combination of about four locker rooms that are usually used by soccer and track, I think. There will be plenty of room at halftime.

In the olden days, when ETSU and UTC of the Southern Conference visited back in 2002 or so, they did set up tents. The home team met down in the weight room below the current visitors locker area.

It's a nice facility. I think Appalachian folks will be surprised. It's close to on par with many of the SoCon schools already, minus ASU, GSU, Chatty. Not quite as nice a stadium as Rhodes, but it's a renovation, not a new build. Misses some of the continuity as a result. It's not as large as most, but remember the 8,000 capacity doesn't include those monster banks and hills around the field either. They packed almost 12K in there for some high school scrimmage two summers ago.

For G-W to average 4-6K fans a game at home is impressive considering the town of B.S. is just a little over 3,000 and the on-campus student body is just a little over 2K.

And, as a reminder to our Appalachian tailgating brethren...it's a dry town, so keep "it" in a cup to be safe.

Can we extend halftime a bit so the coach will have time to go to each of the 4 and talk to the team?xlolx

Thumper250
September 15th, 2006, 04:00 PM
That would be a thought I-AA 2006. xlolx Seriously though, it's a workable area. You have to know where the stadium was just three or four years ago to appreciate the progress though.

For a small campus, they put on a good situation most game days. Everybody pitches in and it comes off well. They're not ASU or GSU, don't get me wrong, but they do okay.

And Sun Drop rules friends! A less sweet version of Mello Yello with more kick. I think they sell RC cola and moon pies at concession stands. Cheerwine too.

I think those companies helped pay for that 250K scoreboard videoboard they put in back in 2004.

Thumper250
September 15th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Nothing to do with football, so delete if you want, but G-W release one whale of a hoops schedule this afternoon. North Carolina, Texas Tech, N.C. State, Wake, Georgia AND Wisconsin in one year? Holy crap.

http://www.gwusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=608986&DB_OEM_ID=10300

WUTNDITWAA
September 15th, 2006, 04:14 PM
That would be a thought I-AA 2006. xlolx Seriously though, it's a workable area. You have to know where the stadium was just three or four years ago to appreciate the progress though.

For a small campus, they put on a good situation most game days. Everybody pitches in and it comes off well. They're not ASU or GSU, don't get me wrong, but they do okay.

And Sun Drop rules friends! A less sweet version of Mello Yello with more kick. I think they sell RC cola and moon pies at concession stands. Cheerwine too.

I think those companies helped pay for that 250K scoreboard videoboard they put in back in 2004.

Never watched college football with a Sun-Drop or Cheerwine in my hand. That's good stuff.

SoCon48
September 16th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Never watched college football with a Sun-Drop or Cheerwine in my hand. That's good stuff.

Sundrop with the right mini-bottle is as good as any. Better than most.
I know CC works.
And with those Sundrop slush things they sell in the convenience stores.... ummm umm.