PDA

View Full Version : How Many Teams .......

flexbone
September 14th, 2006, 12:13 PM
It seems everyone is now running some form of the SPREAD offense, whether it is Option-Run oriented or Pass Oriented. Just curious to get info from the AGS members as to who all runs the SPREAD in 1-AA. If your team or a team that you play runs the SPREAD give me a post.
( For simplicity lets say a team that runs from a SPREAD more that 60% of the time - Because I know practically everyone runs a couple plays out of it during the course of a game)

813Jag
September 14th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Southern does, they usually don't ever use a two back set anymore.

Umass74
September 14th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Rhode Island plays the spread exclusively.

TxState_GO_CATS!
September 14th, 2006, 02:34 PM
we do a version of the spread option that is about 60/40 run.

NoCoDanny
September 14th, 2006, 02:50 PM
We do now with the new coaching staff.

:( :confused: : smh : :bawling: :nonono2: :eek: :nono: :mad: :bang: xidiotx

By the way, I hate it.

GaSouthern
September 14th, 2006, 03:36 PM
We do now with the new coaching staff.

:( :confused: : smh : :bawling: :nonono2: :eek: :nono: :mad: :bang: xidiotx

By the way, I hate it.

I didnt know your a GSU fan :rotateh: xlolx

LacesOut
September 14th, 2006, 03:39 PM

LOL LOL LOL LOL
LOL LOL LOL LOL

McNeese72
September 14th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Even McNeese has added some of the spread offense plays. Especially, the Qb run option plays. We still do a lot of two back sets though.

Doc

GeauxColonels
September 14th, 2006, 04:54 PM
We line it up with about 8 people in the back field.

Nah just kidding....we still have a lot of people on the backfield though. Very rarely do we throw the ball much less spread out the formation

flexbone
September 15th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Let me be more specific - I mean teams who run the Shotgun SPREAD type offense.

flexbone
September 15th, 2006, 08:36 AM
the reason I started this thread is to state a point / Ask a question.
This Shotgun SPREAD type system may just be the new EQUALIZER.
Being a GSU fan and having studied our offense - The old FLEXBONE - HAMBONE - SPREAD etc. was often called the great neutralizer.
I think the new Shotgun SPREAD may have just taken over that honor.
Look at last years numbers
2005 STATS
N Hamp Run 194 Pass 300 Tot - 494
App St Run 194 Pass 229 Tot - 423
Utah Run 179 Pass 295 Tot - 474
BYU Run 152 Pass 310 Tot - 462
NWestrnRun 193 Pass 307 Tot - 500
Mich St Run 202 Pass 296 Tot - 498
Texas Run 275 Pass 237 Tot - 512
MissouriRun 205 Pass 224 Tot - 429
Oregon Run 219 Pass 238 Tot - 457
W Vir Run 349 Pass 138 Tot - 487
Southern R 29 Pass 279 Tot - 308
Tex ST Run 138 Pass 135 Tot - 273

These are impressive numbers!!!!!

GSU running the BONE had Run 386 Pass 83 Tot - 469
But unfortunately I believe the Fkexbone is DEAD.

MplsBison
September 15th, 2006, 08:43 AM
I think a lot of teams are using the 1 back shotgun (either 3 or 4 WR) with success in college because the defenses aren't fast enough. That's just the same reason the triple option worked so well back in the day.

That's also the same reason that neither the spread or the option (esp. not the option) are used in the NFL. Those defenses are fast enough to neutralize them.

flexbone
September 15th, 2006, 09:59 AM
[QUOTE=MplsBison]I think a lot of teams are using the 1 back shotgun (either 3 or 4 WR) with success in college because the defenses aren't fast enough. That's just the same reason the triple option worked so well back in the day.

I don't know if that is really the reason. Look at the Top Tier 1-AA programs that are using it effectively. they are competing verse fast defenses.

I believe it works so well just like the old Flex because it spreads the defense out and gives the offense options as to how the play will develop. IE. in a traditional offense u call the play, sure u can audible but stay with me here, and are stuck with that play. With the Shotgun Spread u can option a run to another direction or even sometimes go from a run play to a pass play on the fly.

It actually spreads the D better than the Flexbone, in that it gives a legitimate threat of either pass or run.

PaladinFan
September 15th, 2006, 10:45 AM
To be honest, Flexbone, I think that the spread is the soup d'jour. I believe Furman and Western are the only two teams in the SoCon that implement the old I-pro set (multiple offense), and Wofford is the lone wing-t holdover. I am pretty sure that every other team in the SoCon now runs almost exclusively out of shotgun.

I don't necessairly think it's the great equalizer. It is better for teams with faster widerecivers and mobile quarterbacks. Furman, for instance, doesn't have much use for it at all. Of course, the Paladins will run out of the shotgun occassionally, but it is rarer and rarer since Martin graduated.

fuEMO
September 15th, 2006, 12:08 PM
A Furman version of the spread IMO could be coming very soon. Gray is made for the spread option and Sorrells will be a good fit in the future. Also Bobby Lamb has really stepped up the recruiting for the skill positions on offense. RJ Webb, Adam Mims, LaFrance, Mike Brown and the 2 big mobile tightends all these guys can catch the ball, and they run the spectrum of size and speed.

The UNC game will give us the first real idea what Lamb has been planning for a Furman offense led by Gray.