PDA

View Full Version : New York Times Article on Fordham's Tom Masella

JoltinJoe
September 14th, 2006, 05:50 AM
This story is featured in today's Times sports section. You may have to register to read the whole article.

From Firehouse to the Field at Fordham (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/14/sports/ncaafootball/14fordham.html?_r=1&ref=sports&oref=login)

Lehigh Football Nation
September 14th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Nice job, as always, by the NYT. I wish their coverage of Fordham were more consistent, but when they do take the time, they always have excellent articles.

As a side note, I'm going to this year's Liberty Cup game between Fordham and Columbia this year, so this weekend you're going to get a lot of coverage :)

aceinthehole
September 14th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Good article. He will be a great coach for you guys. He resurected a morbid program at Central and I am grateful. I did find the following part from the article very interesting:

Sincerity alone is not enough to get the job done at Fordham. It is, Masella said, a much more difficult recruiting challenge than what he had at Central Connecticut State.

Maybe he meant that its easier to recuit at CCSU becasue of lower tuition and academics, or because we now have 30 schollys. But I just though recruiting for a non-AQ conference team with only need-based aid (as he did at CCSU) was very, very hard.

JoltinJoe
September 14th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Nice job, as always, by the NYT. I wish their coverage of Fordham were more consistent, but when they do take the time, they always have excellent articles.

As a side note, I'm going to this year's Liberty Cup game between Fordham and Columbia this year, so this weekend you're going to get a lot of coverage :)

The Times gives Fordham plenty of coverage when the Rams earn it. If Fordham wants more consistent coverage from the Times, then it must put a more consistent product on the field. During the Clawson years, Fordham had great coverage in the Times but as the program slipped during the last two seasons, so did the interest of the media.

As for Saturday, I'm still on the fence. I've got some obligations with the kids in the morning (soccer) and I'm going to have to gather whether it's worth it to try to make the second half.