PDA

View Full Version : NoCos's back up punter stabs starting punter!

ncbears
September 13th, 2006, 07:55 AM
UNC's back up punter Mitch Cozad, a transfer from Wyoming stabbed starting punter Rafael Mendoza in his punting leg yesterday and was arrested in Evans, Co. Mendoza will be out sometime. This is just crazy. As if things couldn't get worst for us.:( :(

http://www.greeleytrib.com/article/20060913/NEWS/109130078

mlbowl
September 13th, 2006, 08:13 AM
UNC's back up punter Mitch Cozad, a transfer from Wyoming stabbed starting punter Rafael Mendoza in his punting leg yesterday and was arrested in Evans, Co. Mendoza will be out sometime. This is just crazy. As if things couldn't get worst for us.:( :(

: smh : What the f*(k....that's som crazy shat!

RabidRabbit
September 13th, 2006, 08:16 AM

Man - I thought SDSU was self-destructing!!!

This isn't the way to win the starting job! :nono: :nono:

Bears, there is NO GOOD NEWS in this! : smh : : smh : : smh :

elkmcc
September 13th, 2006, 08:20 AM
OMG. What has Joe Glenn been teaching those boys over there in Wyoming?

LacesOut
September 13th, 2006, 08:22 AM
There's other ways to take him out!

I would have just planted drugs somewhere in his dorm/apartment, then make an anonymous call to the police to rat him out. Maybe he gets suspended for a few games, or thrown off the team.

Or pushed/tripped him down a flight of stairs. Accidently, of course. He maybe breaks a foot/ankle/leg, and he misses 6-8 games.

Stab him? Stoopid!

atlGAmocs
September 13th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Let the Tonya Harding jokes begin....

Seriously, a punter, i could understand a backup QB or RB, they actually play, but the punterxidiotx

AppGuy04
September 13th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Didn't he understand that this would only help the 3rd string punter

Eaglegus2
September 13th, 2006, 08:37 AM

Seriously, a punter, i could understand a backup QB or RB, they actually play, but the punterxidiotx

A good whack across the kicking shin would have served the same purpose.: smh :
xidiotx

NoCoDanny
September 13th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Violence like this is hopefully indication that our program is getting back on the right track to winning again.

AppGuy04
September 13th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Violence like this is hopefully indication that our program is getting back on the right track to winning again.

If you're Miami or FSUxlolx

MrTitleist
September 13th, 2006, 09:20 AM

haha... that's pretty amusing. But seriously, what the hell was this guy thinking?? He could have at least come up with a better plan to win the starting job other than stabbing.. there's way better ways to get rid of the competition...

psc2445
September 13th, 2006, 09:42 AM
What an Idiot!

GeauxColonels
September 13th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Yeah.....did he really think this would HELP him at all?!

89Hen
xidiotx : retard : :nonono2:

Hansel
CAT FIGHT!

LeopardFan04
September 13th, 2006, 11:44 AM
wow! :eek:

NoCoDanny
September 13th, 2006, 11:54 AM
There was a Jeff Gillooly sighting in Greeley last week so the plot is thickening, stay tuned.

UNC has a strange penchant for getting in the news for bizarre things. A police sniper shooting a kidnapper through a dormitory window, the chick Kobe Bryant raped being a student, this Tonya Harding type attack… did Mendoza cry "Why, why why?" after the incident?

Also, I have to question the coaches for not putting this Cozad dude in on offense, at least he might of played hard the last couple weeks.

Blue Hen Nation
September 13th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Wow, memories of Tanya Harding just came flashing through my head.

dbackjon
September 13th, 2006, 12:58 PM

Jim Rome has been having a field day with this - keeps playing the clip with Nancy Kerrigan crying "Why.......why....."

dbackjon
September 13th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Punter makes worst shank of his life

Northern Colorado punter Mitch Cozad brought a whole new meaning to the word "shank" Monday night.

In a move only Tanya Harding can appreciate, Evans police allege Cozad, a Northern Colorado backup punter, stabbed Bears starting punter Rafael Mendoza in the back of his right thigh Monday evening in the parking lot of Mendoza's Evans apartment.

Mendoza was treated and released for stab wounds that evening while Cozad was arrested at 6 p.m. Tuesday, shortly after being kicked off the football team and expelled from the university earlier in the day.
http://www.greeleytrib.com/article/20060913/UNC_SPORTS09/109130074

Mr. C
September 13th, 2006, 01:42 PM
I heard about this driving home this afternoon. Dan Patrick and Rick Reilly of SI were discussing it on ESPN Radio. Reilly's crack was Mitch Cozad ought to MARRY Tonya Harding.

Don't be smacking Joe Glenn around here (a lot of us love Joe Glenn and loved working with him). Glenn might have gotten rid of Cozad BECAUSE of character issues. Then again, considering the fact that your new coach is a Nebraska guy and the type of problems Nebraska has had with that type of stuff in recent years ...

So who is going to do the punting now? Mendoza had won a three-way race for the job over Cozad and one other guy (Cozad apparantly was the No. 2 punter).

One other strange tie between the Harding-Kerrigan story and this one. Nancy Kerrigan's husband was the guy behind the The Football Network that was showing I-AA games a couple of years back (including some Northern Colorado contests) before going belly up. As Ralph's old girl friend Gillian Anderson would say (any X-Files fans out there?) "The truth is out there somewhere."

NoCoDanny
September 13th, 2006, 02:12 PM
I'm finding this whole story hilarious. Is it embarrassing for the university, sure, but it's not one tenth as embarrassing as our play on the field so far this season.

JALMOND
September 13th, 2006, 02:24 PM
If this guy wants to continue his education (and walk-on to a football team), I'm sure the Ducks or Beavers will be calling.

RobsPics
September 13th, 2006, 02:33 PM
If this guy wants to continue his education (and walk-on to a football team), I'm sure the Ducks or Beavers will be calling.

:confused:

ncbears
September 13th, 2006, 03:10 PM
It will be interesting what Downing has to say about this during his radio show tonight. It's a call in show and maybe Cozad will use his "one call" and call in. I can't believe this is happening.

: smh : : smh :

Apps32
September 13th, 2006, 03:18 PM

I almost posted this earlier but wan't sure if it should go under 'Discussion' or 'Smack' haha

So is Cozad getting the start?

bkrownd
September 13th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Who said punting wasn't intense? Do not mess with a leg man!

NoCoDanny
September 13th, 2006, 05:02 PM
I don't really think this will have much impact if any on the rest of the team. It was the punter for crying out loud and the injury was nothing more than a deep cut.

Bizarre yes, but beyond that not much more.

ASU Kep
September 13th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Is the starter going to have to sit because of the injury? Do you guys HAVE a 3rd string PUNTER?

Something tells me there is more to this story. I guarantee alcohol at least was involved. Not to knock UNC, but the opportunity to be the starting punter truly isn't worth stabbing for there (or anywhere for that manner). Sounds like you guys are having one helluva bad start to the season. At least there is one other program in the state who can feel your pain. :)

PantherRob82
September 13th, 2006, 06:16 PM
I read this in national news earlier. Also read an article about a guy stealing panties around UNH. Crazy news from the I-AA schools today.

Umass74
September 13th, 2006, 06:25 PM
I like this quote from the article:
Sources say that after Cozad committed the second-degree assault on Mendoza, Cozad fled the scene in his own car with personalized plates. :rotateh:

ncbears
September 13th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Is the starter going to have to sit because of the injury? Do you guys HAVE a 3rd string PUNTER?

Something tells me there is more to this story. I guarantee alcohol at least was involved. Not to knock UNC, but the opportunity to be the starting punter truly isn't worth stabbing for there (or anywhere for that manner). Sounds like you guys are having one helluva bad start to the season. At least there is one other program in the state who can feel your pain. :)

You're right. This is a horrible start to the season. It started when our All Conference wide out injured his knee in training camp. It reminds me of a title of a book I recently read. "Things Fall Apart" by Chinua Achebe.

TigerFan17
September 13th, 2006, 07:40 PM
You're right. This is a horrible start to the season. It started when our All Conference wide out injured his knee in training camp. It reminds me of a title of a book I recently read. "Things Fall Apart" by Chinua Achebe.

OT- thats a pretty good book.

On-topic.... wtf?! :eek: :rotateh: :confused: : smh : :bang: xidiotx

ncbears
September 13th, 2006, 07:43 PM
OT- thats a pretty good book.

On-topic.... wtf?! :eek: :rotateh: :confused: : smh : :bang: xidiotx

You're right about the book, very good.

The coaches show starts in about 20 minutes. Downing will be joined to A.D. Jay Hinrichs. Crazy to think that instead of talking about the upcoming game against Texas St, the coaches will now have to focus their show on why one of their players stabbed another.

bobcatfan06
September 13th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Ok, be prepared for the signs this week from our students. I have already been hearing rumblings of ideas for the signs. This is going to be good.

elkmcc
September 13th, 2006, 11:59 PM
Tonight Keith Oberman called Mitch Cozad "The Worst Person in the World"!:thumbsup: