PDA

View Full Version : FCS to FBS Interesting Article

paward
July 31st, 2013, 06:32 PM
Not sure if I agree with this article but interesting read for those leaving home for greener pastures.

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/log/index.php/2013/07/30/mvfc-commissioner-thinks-fbs-shakeup?blog=2#more8382

Saint3333
July 31st, 2013, 07:16 PM
Can't disagree with anything she said. She did so in a much more professional manner than the CAA did.

Give me the bottom five FBS conferences and the top 25 FCS programs, a 75 minimum scholarship level, and a 16 team playoff, sounds like my kind of football subdivision.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 31st, 2013, 07:18 PM
Can't disagree with anything she said. She did so in a much more professional manner than the CAA did.

Give me the bottom five FBS conferences and the top 25 FCS programs, a 75 minimum scholarship level, and a 16 team playoff, sounds like my kind of football subdivision.

No thanks! That would be brutal! The AAC/MWC has to avoid something like that at all costs. If not, I think dropping football would be the right answer for several schools. Granted, something like that would never happen.

Sitting Bull
July 31st, 2013, 07:24 PM

Welcome back to 1AA.

Saint3333
July 31st, 2013, 07:40 PM
Correction, welcome to the way 1AA should have always been.

Other than 6 or 7 teams that is where the AAC and MWC teams belong, of course they will never admit it.

clenz
July 31st, 2013, 07:42 PM
I would bet Lehigh would be left out of that scenario...don't worry about it.

Make it a 77 max and 72 min and I'm game for that in a heart beat

ursus arctos horribilis
July 31st, 2013, 07:44 PM

Agreed if they did have a playoff.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 31st, 2013, 07:45 PM
Correction, welcome to the way 1AA should have always been.

Other than 6 or 7 teams that is where the AAC and MWC teams belong, of course they will never admit it.

Several of those schools play in pro stadiums. Continuing to play at such a middling level makes zero sense for at least a few schools. Temple, USF, Tulane and UMass would be wise to drop football in that scenario imo.

clenz
July 31st, 2013, 07:49 PM
Yeah.

MWC
SBC
MAC
CUSA
AAC (post defections)
MVFC
Big Sky
SoCon (?)
CAA (?)

16-20 team playoff

8 AQ's 12 at-larges

Saint3333
July 31st, 2013, 07:51 PM
Several of those schools play in pro stadiums. Continuing to play at such a middling level makes zero sense for at least a few schools. Temple, USF, Tulane and UMass would be wise to drop football in that scenario imo.

Middling level? Those schools have no place among the P5 schools for football.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 31st, 2013, 07:52 PM
Yeah.

MWC
SBC
MAC
CUSA
AAC (post defections)
MVFC
Big Sky
SoCon (?)
CAA (?)

16-20 team playoff

8 AQ's 12 at-larges

It's funny the different perspective of FCS/FBS people. There's no way in hell schools in the MWC and AAC would go for that.

Lehigh'98
July 31st, 2013, 07:52 PM

Lehigh may not have the attendance for something like that. Not sure if they'd be willing to add the extra 15 scholarships either. Would like to see them try though. It'd be perfect for most MVFC teams

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 31st, 2013, 07:53 PM
Middling level? Those schools have no place among the P5 schools for football.

Temple, Cincinnati and UConn have been BCS conference teams before. While we weren't good, we were in the same conferenc as Miami, Virginia Tech, Syracuse etc in the past.

Like I said, I think Temple would make the right decision and drop football before settling for something like that. And I would support such a decision.

darell1976
July 31st, 2013, 07:54 PM
Yeah.

MWC
SBC
MAC
CUSA
AAC (post defections)
MVFC
Big Sky
SoCon (?)
CAA (?)

16-20 team playoff

8 AQ's 12 at-larges

Sounds good to me. I would love to see UND fight in a playoff game against Wyoming or Ohio. But at least its for a National Championship and not for a trophy from the Pizza Hut Stuffed Crust Bowl.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 31st, 2013, 07:56 PM
double post...

Bisonoline
July 31st, 2013, 07:58 PM
Not sure if I agree with this article but interesting read for those leaving home for greener pastures.

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/log/index.php/2013/07/30/mvfc-commissioner-thinks-fbs-shakeup?blog=2#more8382

Interesting!!! I would have no issues if this came about as long as there is a playoff.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 31st, 2013, 08:02 PM
It's funny the different perspective of FCS/FBS people. There's no way in hell schools in the MWC and AAC would go for that.

Yes, that's the obvious sticking point. Let them keep the 85 and keep the bowls if they don't want to go to something like this. I'm just saying, and I think clenz is as well what I would support if it came about.

I think the MWC will suffer the least (still suffer some) IF the big 5 get even close to what it is said they want so they are least likely to be agreeable to something like this but what's gonna be left if the bigs DO get their way? A playoff with those 8 or 9 leagues seems like it might be fairly marketable....not compared to the bigs but comparatively to what FCS has now.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 31st, 2013, 08:05 PM
Yes, that's the obvious sticking point. Let them keep the 85 and keep the bowls if they don't want to go to something like this. I'm just saying, and I think clenz is as well what I would support if it came about.

I think the MWC will suffer the least (still suffer some) IF the big 5 get even close to what it is said they want so they are least likely to be agreeable to something like this but what's gonna be left if the bigs DO get their way? A playoff with those 8 or 9 leagues seems like it might be fairly marketable....not compared to the bigs but comparatively to what FCS has now.

The MWC and AAC are extremely valuable in college hoops and the G5 has to know that. For that reason alone I'm reasonably confident they'll be at least some semblance of a bone thrown.

walliver
July 31st, 2013, 08:24 PM

Tulane is moving into a 30,000 seat on-campus stadium in 2014. Moving into the SuperDome and tearing down the old Tulane Stadium just about destroyed that program (of course, leaving the SEC didn't help either).

clenz
July 31st, 2013, 08:32 PM
The AAC is going to lose it's top programs in the next 4-5 years, and those that will still be there/added offer nothing to the basketball issue you're talking about

UCF - What value do they add to the "big 5" basketball? None
Cinci - Likely to end up somewhere else...B12? May have "value" in basketball but far from what they were
UCONN - I don't know what to think about them..they do offer good the basketball to the Big 5 to keep them around
Houston - no value to hang onto for the B5
Louisville - Gone to ACC after this year
Memphis - Were a highly respected program, trending down right now. Still as good "value" for Big 5 as Cinci
Rutgers - Going B10 after this year
USF - No value
SMU - No value
Temple - only value is Philly
ECU - joining 2014 and no value
Tulane - joining 2014 and no value
Tulsa - joining 2014 and no value

By 2015 there will be no basketball value to the AAC past what the CUSA/A10/MVC have had the past couple seasons. They won't try to hard to keep them happy.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 31st, 2013, 08:48 PM
The AAC is going to lose it's top programs in the next 4-5 years, and those that will still be there/added offer nothing to the basketball issue you're talking about

Cinci - Likely to end up somewhere else...B12? May have "value" in basketball but far from what they were
UCONN - I don't know what to think about them..they do offer good the basketball to the Big 5 to keep them around
Memphis - Were a highly respected program, trending down right now. Still as good "value" for Big 5 as Cinci
USF - No value
SMU - No value

By 2015 there will be no basketball value to the AAC past what the CUSA/A10/MVC have had the past couple seasons. They won't try to hard to keep them happy.

Uconn and Cincy are not going anywhere. The AAC will be a very good hoops league which will keep them happy. There is ZERO chatter that anything different will happen.

Temple is the 6th winningest hoops program all-time. We bring Philly and more....

Saint3333
July 31st, 2013, 09:12 PM
Cincy has a huge for sale sign out don't be fooled.

clenz
July 31st, 2013, 09:44 PM
Cincy has a huge for sale sign out don't be fooled.
It's not even a for sale sign...

It's a "Free to anyone who wants us" sign

ElCid
July 31st, 2013, 09:50 PM
Yeah.

MWC
SBC
MAC
CUSA
AAC (post defections)
MVFC
Big Sky
SoCon (?)
CAA (?)

16-20 team playoff

8 AQ's 12 at-larges

Interesting.

Here is another scenario. What if the big boys want to reorganize. The B10, B12, ACC, SEC, Pac12, and the rump AAC, might not have the power to pull it off alone. They include the Conf USA or Mount West to guarantee it. That leaves one of those, and the Mid American and Sun belt out in the cold. Obviously that would be too small a group. They would have to reorganize with the top FCS. Let's say the Big Sky, MVFC, SOCON, CAA, and Southland for a total of 8 conferences. The rest of FCS would unfortunately be relegated to a Div 1 AAA.

My real question is, if that happened, would App State and Georgia Southern come back to the SOCON with hat in hand to cut down on travel expenses?xlolx

Not going to happen, but it would definitely be hilarious to watch unfold if it did.

IBleedYellow
July 31st, 2013, 10:01 PM
I don't think they would move back to the SoCon just because of the way they think of the peer institutions in the SoCon conference.

On topic -

I think this is what will boil down eventually, and the have-not 5 conferences are going to get split and hurt from this, and the have 5 will be happy campers when it comes to football, and possibly grabbing some basketball only universities just for the money and prestige they would bring in, while keeping football at the FCS level. A la: Villanova and Georgetown.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 31st, 2013, 10:09 PM
It's not even a for sale sign...

It's a "Free to anyone who wants us" sign

What are you basing that off of? I've read everything I can about the AAC and have to come across anything that supports the claim. The Ohio State has tremendous political pull.

Vitojr130
August 1st, 2013, 12:35 AM

This would be crucial.

PAllen
August 1st, 2013, 02:09 AM

There's no way in hell the MAC would go for that! Delusions of grandeur from the football "elite".

frozennorth
August 1st, 2013, 02:13 AM
I can't imagine a scenario where the MWC goes down and not up. While it's a little bit behind the power5, it's way, way beyond any of the rest. In some realignment thread at either bville or siouxsports, someone broke down the MWC athletic budgets in comparisons to the dakotas, and the dakotas were utterly dwarfed by the mwc, and iirc ndsu, und and sdsu all have top-end fcs budgets and ar on par with the mac.

Boise state is a program that could win a big-kid title. Nevada had a team in 2010 that i think could have beaten Auburn or Oregon. Frenso State has a very high level of credibility, and has a solid history over the last decade and more. On top of this several of these schools are flagship state programs and these states have congressional delegations. No way does the MWC get left behind.

813Jag
August 1st, 2013, 06:52 AM
Tulane is moving on campus next year.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 1st, 2013, 08:14 AM
I can't imagine a scenario where the MWC goes down and not up. While it's a little bit behind the power5, it's way, way beyond any of the rest. In some realignment thread at either bville or siouxsports, someone broke down the MWC athletic budgets in comparisons to the dakotas, and the dakotas were utterly dwarfed by the mwc, and iirc ndsu, und and sdsu all have top-end fcs budgets and ar on par with the mac.

Boise state is a program that could win a big-kid title. Nevada had a team in 2010 that i think could have beaten Auburn or Oregon. Frenso State has a very high level of credibility, and has a solid history over the last decade and more. On top of this several of these schools are flagship state programs and these states have congressional delegations. No way does the MWC get left behind.

It's not way way ahead of the AAC. The two conferences have a TON in common....

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 1st, 2013, 08:16 AM
There's no way in hell the MAC would go for that! Delusions of grandeur from the football "elite".

I agree! But the problem with the MAC is it lies somewhere between the AAC/MWC and the SBC/CUSA. The biggest thing that helps the MAC is the political pull they have within the Midwest. Plus, the Big Ten loves 'em...

Dane96
August 1st, 2013, 08:27 AM

USF - No value
SMU - No value

UCF is becoming a big draw in hoops...and has a sparkling new arena. In a few years, they will be VERY good. Their football stadium is poised to grow again...and is a "cheaper" version of Notre Dame. They are in a HUGE media market.

They are going nowhere but up, eventually.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 1st, 2013, 02:39 PM
A little blurb from today's AAC presser...

Aresco said that if conferences banded together to form a new division, The American would be in it, though Aresco is the only commissioner to include his conference thus far. He rattled off a list of teams The American beat last season as well as other credentials, like comparable budgets and media markets, in an effort to turn the "Power 5" into the "Big 6," a phrase Aresco coined. If such a break were to happen, Aresco said he anticipates it will be sooner rather than later out of fear the current momentum would taper with a longer wait.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9525757/tommy-tuberville-pedigree-fuel-american-athletic-conference-future

Bisonator
August 1st, 2013, 02:50 PM
A little blurb from today's AAC presser...

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9525757/tommy-tuberville-pedigree-fuel-american-athletic-conference-future

Yeah I'm sure the other commissioner's would want it to be the Huge 10 too! :D

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 1st, 2013, 03:23 PM
Yeah I'm sure the other commissioner's would want it to be the Huge 10 too! :D

I'm telling ya, if something does happen it will be the Super Seven...

The MAC is the ultimate tweener. I'd like to see them remain viable.