PDA

View Full Version : Wofford-Winningest program in the SoCon?

SoCon48
September 12th, 2006, 03:38 PM
On another board, someone was saying Coastal had just beaten the winningest program in the SoCon (over the last 5 years)-Wofford. If they're talking about SoCon conference games. That's incorrect.
"We just got finished beating the SoCon's winningest team for the last five years. We all know that we could've beaten Elon last week. And now suddenly, some people from other boards are saying our chances against Georgia Southern are really good. "

In the SoCon:

Wofford is 24-11
Furman is 28-10
ASU is 28-10
GSU is 30-8 (1st)

Thus Wofford would be the 4th winningest program in the SoCon.
If not referring to conf games, then all bets are off, Wofford usually has the easiest OC sched of those 4.

rokamortis
September 12th, 2006, 04:06 PM
On another board, someone was saying Coastal had just beaten the winningest program in the SoCon (over the last 5 years)-Wofford. If they're talking about SoCon conference games. That's incorrect.
"We just got finished beating the SoCon's winningest team for the last five years. We all know that we could've beaten Elon last week. And now suddenly, some people from other boards are saying our chances against Georgia Southern are really good. "

In the SoCon:

Wofford is 24-11
Furman is 28-10
ASU is 28-10
GSU is 30-8 (1st)

Thus Wofford would be the 4th winningest program in the SoCon.
If not referring to conf games, then all bets are off, Wofford usually has the easiest OC sched of those 4.

I haven't done the research but I think he meant in the last 4 years. I've seen others, mainly Wofford folks, bring up those stats. Pretty sure they included non-conference games. But a Furman fan said that the Terriers and Paladins are tied for the last 4 years.

Saint3333
September 12th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Did they also mention they lost to the worst team in the SoCon for the last 5 years...:boring:

FUwolfpacker
September 12th, 2006, 07:33 PM
That would be me Rok. I think he was referring to just the last 4 years and he was including non-conference games. I used ESPN's schedules that went back to 2002. From 2002 to 2005, Furman and Wofford both had 35 wins. GSU and ASU were both within 4 wins. If you include this year, then Furman would have 37 wins and Wofford would have 36. GSU is stuck at 33, and I think ASU is somewhere around 33 wins too. Someone else can check that though. I could have made a mistake adding the wins up. Also, I was including playoff wins, so that likely had an effect. Don't know about the win totals if we're just including the regular season.

FUwolfpacker
September 12th, 2006, 07:51 PM
I went back and checked and I owe an apology to GSU. If my calculations are correct, coming into this year all FU, GSU, and WoCo were tied with 35 wins (including playoffs), and ASU had 33.

If you include this year, then FU has 37, WoCo has 36, GSU has 35, and ASU has 34. I didn't check just the conference wins, so I assume the ones mentioned above are correct. In this time though, Wofford has the least amount of losses of all 4 teams.

PaladinFan
September 12th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Well, Furman is the winngest program in the SoCon for the past two games!

Who cares? Why pick an arbitrary number like four years? I'm sure Furman has racked up quite a few more wins than most over the past 102 years.

Wofford has one really solid year in 2003. They are a good program, to be sure. However, if Coastal fans are under the impression that Wofford is the best the SoCon has to offer, then they are in for a rude awakening.

CoastalFan2005
September 12th, 2006, 08:49 PM
However, if Coastal fans are under the impression that Wofford is the best the SoCon has to offer, then they are in for a rude awakening.

I thought this thread was about a clarification of winning records, not rude awakenings? :confused:

rokamortis
September 12th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Well, Furman is the winngest program in the SoCon for the past two games!

Who cares? Why pick an arbitrary number like four years? I'm sure Furman has racked up quite a few more wins than most over the past 102 years.

Wofford has one really solid year in 2003. They are a good program, to be sure. However, if Coastal fans are under the impression that Wofford is the best the SoCon has to offer, then they are in for a rude awakening.

Welcome to sports. People love arbitrary stats. I don't think any CCU fan thinks that Wofford is the best the SoCon has to offer. Nothing against Wofford but App State, Furman, and Georgia Southern are all top programs as well.

FUwolfpacker
September 12th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Pfan, the guy who said Wofford was the winningest team was a Wofford fan, not a Coastal fan. I don't think any of the CCU fans really thought Wofford was heads and shoulders the best team in the SoCon.

I don't know why the guy picked the last four years, but he did. I don't think 4 years would be a bad number to use though. 5 or 6 might be better, but that's not the point. If you listen to most of the Coastal fans, I don't think they're all in for "rude awakenings." Granted they have a new found confidence after beating WoCo and GSU losing, but most still feel they have a way to go. I don't think that's the point of the thread though. I thought I-AA 2006 was just trying to clarify if Wofford really did have the winningest record in the SoCon over a certain period of time. Thus, all the wins and losses posted in this thread.

ASU Kep
September 12th, 2006, 10:32 PM
UNH beat more I-A teams in the past one week then the University of Texas.

OL FU
September 13th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Welcome to sports. People love arbitrary stats. I don't think any CCU fan thinks that Wofford is the best the SoCon has to offer. Nothing against Wofford but App State, Furman, and Georgia Southern are all top programs as well.

Ask 89hen,
He will tell you
There are only three teams in the SoCon:rolleyes: :D

AppGuy04
September 13th, 2006, 07:44 AM
Ask 89hen,
He will tell you

Yep, ASU, GSU and Elonxlolx

Eaglegus2
September 13th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Yep, ASU, GSU and Elonxlolx

You may rethink GSU.:( :( :confused: :confused: :bawling:

AppGuy04
September 13th, 2006, 08:53 AM
You may rethink GSU.:( :( :confused: :confused: :bawling:

only for one game, I imagine they will play much better this week

SoCon48
September 13th, 2006, 11:43 AM
I haven't done the research but I think he meant in the last 4 years. I've seen others, mainly Wofford folks, bring up those stats. Pretty sure they included non-conference games. But a Furman fan said that the Terriers and Paladins are tied for the last 4 years.

Here's the quote again. "We just got finished beating the SoCon's winningest team for the last five years. We all know that we could've beaten Elon last week. And now suddenly, some people from other boards are saying our chances against Georgia Southern are really good. "

Then FUWolfpacker changed it to the last four: (i.e. since 2002) Wofford was tied for the winningest program since 2002. Counting this year, Furman now holds that spot. You guys get your shot at us later this year though

SoCon48
September 13th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Pfan, the guy who said Wofford was the winningest team was a Wofford fan, not a Coastal fan. I don't think any of the CCU fans really thought Wofford was heads and shoulders the best team in the SoCon.

I don't know why the guy picked the last four years, but he did. I don't think 4 years would be a bad number to use though. 5 or 6 might be better, but that's not the point. If you listen to most of the Coastal fans, I don't think they're all in for "rude awakenings." Granted they have a new found confidence after beating WoCo and GSU losing, but most still feel they have a way to go. I don't think that's the point of the thread though. I thought I-AA 2006 was just trying to clarify if Wofford really did have the winningest record in the SoCon over a certain period of time. Thus, all the wins and losses posted in this thread.

"Pfan, the guy who said Wofford was the winningest team was a Wofford fan, not a Coastal fan. I don't think any of the CCU fans really thought Wofford was heads and shoulders the best team in the SoCon"

His screen name was Chantzilla. (We just got finished beating the SoCon's winningest team for the last five years.Guess that could be a Wofford fan.;)

BestOfBreed
September 13th, 2006, 11:56 AM
I think the arbitrary stat in question is winning percentage since 2002:

Wofford 35-13 .729
GSU 35-14 .714
Furman 35-15 .700
Appalachian State 33-16 .673

note: 2006 #'s not included.

Just another stat as far as I'm concerned and not one that interests me too much.

89Hen
September 13th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Ask 89hen,
He will tell you
Who is this Wolfard you speak of?

rokamortis
September 13th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Here's the quote again. "We just got finished beating the SoCon's winningest team for the last five years. We all know that we could've beaten Elon last week. And now suddenly, some people from other boards are saying our chances against Georgia Southern are really good. "

Then FUWolfpacker changed it to the last four: (i.e. since 2002) Wofford was tied for the winningest program since 2002. Counting this year, Furman now holds that spot. You guys get your shot at us later this year though

What I am trying to explain to you is that a) chantzilla screwed up the number of years and b) he originally heard the stat from Wofford people. I had read that stat before and knew he meant 4 years - but stats like that don't mean anything. Quotes from fan sites about stats like that mean even less.

OL FU
September 13th, 2006, 12:37 PM
The important thing to know about this Wofford stat is that even if it is true, nobody believes it.xlolx

FUwolfpacker
September 13th, 2006, 01:50 PM
His screen name was Chantzilla. (We just got finished beating the SoCon's winningest team for the last five years.Guess that could be a Wofford fan.;)

I don't remember who said it first, but I could swear it was that "BossTerrier" guy who mentioned it first on CCU's site.

So.....I checked CCU's site and this is the FIRST mention of the stat in question.

From "BossTerrier" under the thread "The Truth" page 2 (if you want to check).

"You should stop looking ahead to the Playoffs, GSU, Furman, etc. and prepare for this game. Wofford is the Winningest Team in the SoCon since 2002-not GSU, FU, or ASU-but Wofford. A team that had just as many mistakes Sat as you did but against a much better opponent, and still found a way to win. We'll welcome you to Sptbg on Saturday, and hopefully it will be a good game. Good luck, and go Terriers!"

So, you see I-AA 2006, I didn't change the years. This guy mentioned "2002" which would have been the last 4 years. I was just going off the guy who said it first. Rok was also right, the guy probably meant the last FOUR years since he was probably referring to BossTerrier's original statement. Chantzilla did say that though in the Coastal & the SoCon thread though:nod: .

AppGuy04
September 13th, 2006, 01:54 PM
The important thing to know about this Wofford stat is that even if it is true, nobody believes it.xlolx

sad, but truexlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

SoCon48
September 13th, 2006, 03:53 PM
I don't remember who said it first, but I could swear it was that "BossTerrier" guy who mentioned it first on CCU's site.

So.....I checked CCU's site and this is the FIRST mention of the stat in question.

From "BossTerrier" under the thread "The Truth" page 2 (if you want to check).

"You should stop looking ahead to the Playoffs, GSU, Furman, etc. and prepare for this game. Wofford is the Winningest Team in the SoCon since 2002-not GSU, FU, or ASU-but Wofford. A team that had just as many mistakes Sat as you did but against a much better opponent, and still found a way to win. We'll welcome you to Sptbg on Saturday, and hopefully it will be a good game. Good luck, and go Terriers!"

So, you see I-AA 2006, I didn't change the years. This guy mentioned "2002" which would have been the last 4 years. I was just going off the guy who said it first. Rok was also right, the guy probably meant the last FOUR years since he was probably referring to BossTerrier's original statement. Chantzilla did say that though in the Coastal & the SoCon thread though:nod: .
Yep, i didn't read the "The Truth" thread.

SoCon48
September 13th, 2006, 03:58 PM
What I am trying to explain to you is that a) chantzilla screwed up the number of years and b) he originally heard the stat from Wofford people. I had read that stat before and knew he meant 4 years - but stats like that don't mean anything. Quotes from fan sites about stats like that mean even less.

Just trying to set the record straight..that is...straight if he had meant conference games. But since he evidently was counting vs Johnson C Smiths, etc, it really doesn't matter.

dungeonjoe
September 15th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Just trying to set the record straight..that is...straight if he had meant conference games. But since he evidently was counting vs Johnson C Smiths, etc, it really doesn't matter.

Guess we exclude Mars Hill games as well?

SoCon48
September 15th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Guess we exclude Mars Hill games as well?
You don't want to compare schedules over the past few years.:rolleyes:

dungeonjoe
September 15th, 2006, 04:38 PM
You don't want to compare schedules over the past few years.:rolleyes:
in the seasons from 2002-2005, which is where the stat came from, certainly. Our schedules are improving all the time. Face it, we ALL play a cupcake or two. ASU did excellent in their scheduling Kansas and LSU in the same year. That took some courage and prepared them for the playoff run.