PDA

View Full Version : Harmon's Picks: Week Three

TexasTerror
September 12th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Here's Harmon from CBS Sportsline and his picks. Not as many I-A vs I-AA games this week. Idaho St over Idaho would be a nice one. That's his closest pick at 15 points difference...

*Arizona 34 Stephen F. Austin 6
*California 45 Portland State 3
*Houston 38 Grambling 14
*Idaho 23 Idaho State 8
*Indiana 33 Southern Illinois 14
*Louisiana Tech 30 Nicholls State 12
*North Carolina 26 Furman 3
*Penn State 41 Youngstown State 10
*South Carolina 23 Wofford 6
*Southern Methodist 24 Sam Houston State 6

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/8820391

OL FU
September 12th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Here's Harmon from CBS Sportsline and his picks. Not as many I-A vs I-AA games this week. Idaho St over Idaho would be a nice one. That's his closest pick at 15 points difference...

*Houston 38 Grambling 14
*Idaho 23 Idaho State 8

I hate predicting I-A games. But I will predict that USC beats Wofford by more than UNC beats Furman:nod:

dbackjon
September 12th, 2006, 01:23 PM
I think Portland State, Idaho State, Southern Illinois and Furman will all do better that he has predicted.

dbackjon
September 12th, 2006, 01:25 PM
I hate predicting I-A games. But I will predict that USC beats Wofford by more than UNC beats Furman:nod:

Agreed. UNC is AWFUL.

OL FU
September 12th, 2006, 01:26 PM
I think Portland State, Idaho State, Southern Illinois and Furman will all do better that he has predicted.

I realize the score is possible but why would someone predict either a safetly or two point converions

*Idaho 23 Idaho State 8

OL FU
September 12th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Agreed. UNC is AWFUL.

and not to mention Furman is better than Wofford:nod: :D

TexasTerror
September 12th, 2006, 01:28 PM

What about SHSU? SMU got smoked by UNT last week, 24-6. SHSU should hopefully do better than lose by a 24-6 count to the Ponies...:nod:

dbackjon
September 12th, 2006, 01:31 PM
What about SHSU? SMU got smoked by UNT last week, 24-6. SHSU should hopefully do better than lose by a 24-6 count to the Ponies...:nod:

You probably right - SMU lost by that much to UNT??? That is pathetic.

JALMOND
September 12th, 2006, 01:34 PM
I can't see where any team could score 40+ points against PSU, given how the D is playing right now. I'd give UC-Berkeley about half that. If they are, in any way, looking past us to Arizona State, we might surprise, even if they are #20 in I-A. Just get us to the 4th quarter with the score close and I like our chances.

I also would be surprised if Idaho beats Idaho State. The Vandals may have Erickson, but they are still the same Vandals and the Bengals catch them between games against WSU and Oregon State, two games that the Vandals do get "up" for. If Idaho looks past the Bengals, watch out.

UNHWildCats
September 12th, 2006, 01:54 PM
from my rankings this week

FURMAN 2-0 (0-0 Southern)
Last: Defeated West Georgia 24-7
Next: at North Carolina (0-2) 9/16 **UPSET SPECIAL**

http://travisjliles.com/iaa.aspx

nick9c
September 12th, 2006, 01:58 PM
It's doubtful that Furman will beat UNC if last week's offense shows up. We have a good defense but our offense is horrible. Remember, UNC played two pretty decent teams in Rutgers and Va Tech. They'll be ready.

UNC-24
FU - 3

Retro
September 12th, 2006, 02:24 PM
*Houston 38 Grambling 14
*Idaho 23 Idaho State 8

The games in bold i think are very possible upsets.. Nicholls could beat La Tech as well..

Ronbo
September 12th, 2006, 02:29 PM
I can't see where any team could score 40+ points against PSU, given how the D is playing right now. I'd give UC-Berkeley about half that. If they are, in any way, looking past us to Arizona State, we might surprise, even if they are #20 in I-A. Just get us to the 4th quarter with the score close and I like our chances.

I also would be surprised if Idaho beats Idaho State. The Vandals may have Erickson, but they are still the same Vandals and the Bengals catch them between games against WSU and Oregon State, two games that the Vandals do get "up" for. If Idaho looks past the Bengals, watch out.

Jalmond you're playing good but don't get too carried away yet. PSU always finds a way to blow the season no matter how good they start out. If you guys play Cal within 3 TD's and beat us I'll start believing.

Paladin13
September 12th, 2006, 03:17 PM
UNC-17
Furman-10

Lehigh Football Nation
September 12th, 2006, 04:20 PM
*Houston 38 Grambling 14
*Idaho 23 Idaho State 8
*Indiana 33 Southern Illinois 14]

On the money: Arizona/SFA, Houston/Grambling St., Penn St/Youngstown St., SC/Wofford

Closer but still right: Cal/PSU (more like 31-10), Indiana/SIU (could be a game), La Blech/Nicholls St. (could be a 1 or 2 score game)

Real shots at upsets: SHSU/SMU, Furman/NC, ISU/Idaho

dbackjon
September 12th, 2006, 04:21 PM
BTW - you forgot one:

*Middle Tennessee 26 Tennessee Tech 7 - this is Thursday night.

September 12th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Wow, did he actually predict that FOUR I-AA squads would score in double digits????? He must have took a bath with his bookie. xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
September 12th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Wow, did he actually predict that FOUR I-AA squads would score in double digits????? He must have took a bath with his bookie. xlolx

Northwestern and the over was NOT a good move.

OrneryAggie
September 13th, 2006, 01:42 PM

Agree. For evidence of PSU stepping up against the top western IA schools see Fresno St 2004 and Boise St 2005. Also check out Cal-Suc St from last season. I highly doubt Cal wins by more than 3 possessions.

LacesOut
September 13th, 2006, 01:46 PM
From Matt Dougherty

No. 4 Furman (2-0) at North Carolina (0-2), 7:00

Furman supporters would love a replay of the last time these programs met. The Paladins overwhelmed North Carolina, 28-3, in a 1999 matchup and have a good history in general against I-A programs. The Paladins are 5-15-1 against I-A opponents since 1982, with a pair of wins against N.C. State to go with the victory against the Tar Heels. Most recently, the Paladins gave eventual BCS participant Pittsburgh all it could handle in a 41-38 overtime loss in 2004. So Furman definitely has a chance to contend here, and can really give North Carolina problems if the offense comes together. The Paladin offense has endured a shaky start to the season, with just 41 total points in two games and a lackluster, 24-7, victory against West Georgia on Saturday. The running game is sound, as Jerome Felton has 163 yards and two scores and Cedrick Gipson has notched 187 yards on the ground. But first-year starter Renaldo Gray is just 12-of-28 for 124 yards, and no receivers outside of Justin Stepp have made more than one catch. That type of shaky offense usually doesn’t lead to an upset of a I-A opponent, but the Furman defense can dominate North Carolina. The Tar Heels have already dropped home contests to Rutgers and Virginia Tech, and the locals could get restless and the team might tighten up if Furman can stay in it for a while. Furman will need something from the passing game, but Gray has had a few games to get settled and should be able to make a play or two. The Paladins need to play very well on defense and run the ball, but they are definitely capable of pulling the upset. I’ll say they do it in a low-scoring affair.

Prediction: Furman 14, North Carolina 10

OL FU
September 13th, 2006, 02:00 PM
From Matt Dougherty

No. 4 Furman (2-0) at North Carolina (0-2), 7:00

Furman supporters would love a replay of the last time these programs met. The Paladins overwhelmed North Carolina, 28-3, in a 1999 matchup and have a good history in general against I-A programs. The Paladins are 5-15-1 against I-A opponents since 1982, with a pair of wins against N.C. State to go with the victory against the Tar Heels. Most recently, the Paladins gave eventual BCS participant Pittsburgh all it could handle in a 41-38 overtime loss in 2004. So Furman definitely has a chance to contend here, and can really give North Carolina problems if the offense comes together. The Paladin offense has endured a shaky start to the season, with just 41 total points in two games and a lackluster, 24-7, victory against West Georgia on Saturday. The running game is sound, as Jerome Felton has 163 yards and two scores and Cedrick Gipson has notched 187 yards on the ground. But first-year starter Renaldo Gray is just 12-of-28 for 124 yards, and no receivers outside of Justin Stepp have made more than one catch. That type of shaky offense usually doesn’t lead to an upset of a I-A opponent, but the Furman defense can dominate North Carolina. The Tar Heels have already dropped home contests to Rutgers and Virginia Tech, and the locals could get restless and the team might tighten up if Furman can stay in it for a while. Furman will need something from the passing game, but Gray has had a few games to get settled and should be able to make a play or two. The Paladins need to play very well on defense and run the ball, but they are definitely capable of pulling the upset. I’ll say they do it in a low-scoring affair.

Prediction: Furman 14, North Carolina 10

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

We Are Toast:(

GeauxLions94
September 13th, 2006, 08:30 PM

*Idaho 23 Idaho State 8

Idaho State 8? Nicholls State 12? Does this clown know Division I-AA schools have kickers too?

Of these four, three are going to be too close for comfort for the I-A's. Best chance at an upset ... Sam Houston State over SMU

GeauxColonels
September 13th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Idaho State 8? Nicholls State 12? Does this clown know Division I-AA schools have kickers too?

Of these four, three are going to be too close for comfort for the I-A's. Best chance at an upset ... Sam Houston State over SMU
Who scores 30 points even?! I think that the spread is what I expect (17 or 18 points) but the scores are VERY weird.

Mr. C
September 13th, 2006, 10:18 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

We Are Toast:(
What's worse, that Matt picked you to win, or that Mr. C has been predicting this as an upset win for the Paladins?

ASU Kep
September 14th, 2006, 12:00 AM

*Houston 38 Grambling 14
*Idaho 23 Idaho State 8

If Furman's offense was doing a little better so far, I'd take the Vermin straight up to win the game. At this point however, I'd literally put all the money to my name (unfortunately not all that much :bawling: ) that Furman stays closer then 23. I'd love to be at this one, I hope all you Furmie fans get down there. Best of luck. Show those arrogant ACC a-holes that us I-AA's can PLAY.

ASU Kep
September 14th, 2006, 12:04 AM
btw, my prediction:

Tarholes - 24
Vermin - 17

Prove me wrong. Please.

OL FU
September 14th, 2006, 07:12 AM
What's worse, that Matt picked you to win, or that Mr. C has been predicting this as an upset win for the Paladins?

Good Question, How did you pick the ASU - NCSU game?

kats89
September 14th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Kat Attack.........27
My little Ponies...10

I really think this team is gonna step up this week. I think we are gonna find out just how good our defense is on Saturday.