PDA

View Full Version : I-A vs I-AA vs DII

89Hen
September 12th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Just found this interesting as to how big wins are over teams in other divisions/subs. Not picking on MSU, but obviously they're the best example of highs and lows this year. On MSU's website they had a poll about what was the biggest win in MSU's history, the results...

2006-Colorado 25.1% (732)
1984-La. Tech 21.3% (621)
1976-Akron 20.3% (594)
2002-Montana 19.9% (582)
1984-Fresno St. 8.3% (241)
1984-Rhode Island 5.1% (150)

http://www.msubobcats.com/index.php?pollOption=0&voted=Yes&seeresults=Yes

On Chadron's website this week they are advertising a DVD of the victory over MSU for $15 and calling it, "Chadron State’s historic 35-24 upset over Montana State" BTW, kinda funny that you send the check for the DVD to Missoula. Damn you Griz fans are pouring salt in the wound. :p

http://www2.csc.edu/athletics/news/list.pl?article=1669

Stating the obvious, but it is a big deal for teams to beat a team in the next level up.

AppGuy04
September 12th, 2006, 12:15 PM
It must be if they are selling a DVD

JALMOND
September 12th, 2006, 01:53 PM
It is a big deal to beat a team a level higher than you. My fourth year at NAIA Rocky Mountain College we were scheduled to play Chadron. At that point we hadn't won a football game in two years. Chadron was DII, where they still are and, going into that game were ranked #12 in DII. It was Don Beebe's last year at Chadron and he was having a monster season. We were terrible. Our season had included losses to Carroll (68-3), MT Tech (58-7) and even a loss to Spokane Falls Community, a Junior College team that did not officially count in the standings. Our coach stopped the buses in Buffalo, Wyoming to say that he had given his resignation to the athletic director before we left, effective at the end of the season. We were just hoping to survive. Well, we spotted Chadron 19 points, trailing at the end of the first quarter 19-0. Then something happened. Our offense began to make plays and our defense came on. Chadron did not score any more points and we came from behind to win 27-19. I don't really know much about the history of Chadron State football, but I think it would be tough to come up with a worst loss than this, given where our team was going into the game.

OL FU
September 12th, 2006, 01:58 PM
It is a big deal. We are very proud of out string of I-A wins during the '80's. With that said I have a very different view point. I would love nothing better than to beat the Heels but from the standpoint of a season, this game is the next to the least important game this year. Last weeks D-II game against W. Georgia gets that award. :nod:

Cap'n Cat
September 12th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Stating the obvious, but it is a big deal for teams to beat a team in the next level up.

No doubt about it.

GeauxColonels
September 12th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Definitely a big deal to beat an opponent from a higher division. Although we're both Division I schools, when Nicholls State beat Arkansas State a few years back for the schools first ever win over a I-A opponent...it was a big deal for us.

Vice-versa, it's considered by many as an embarrasment to lost to a lower division team. When we beat Arkansas State, the school released a statement saying that the coach was going to be fired at the end of the game. OUCH!!!:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

elkmcc
September 12th, 2006, 02:27 PM
On Chadron's website this week they are advertising a DVD of the victory over MSU for $15 and calling it, "Chadron State’s historic 35-24 upset over Montana State" BTW, kinda funny that you send the check for the DVD to Missoula. Damn you Griz fans are pouring salt in the wound. :p

What would ever make you think a Griz fan would ever do anything of the kind?:smiley_wi

McNeese72
September 12th, 2006, 02:34 PM
What would ever make you think a Griz fan would ever do anything of the kind?:smiley_wi

Hey Elk (Kevin, if my memory is correct),

Not to hijack this thread, but how did South Dakota St. look last Saturday?

Doc

GeauxColonels
September 12th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Hey Elk (Kevin, if my memory is correct),

Not to hijack this thread, but how did South Dakota St. look last Saturday?

Doc
Yeah, I would like to know too since we get them down in Thibodaux a few weeks from now.

Proud Griz Man
September 12th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Just found this interesting as to how big wins are over teams in other divisions/subs. Not picking on MSU, but obviously they're the best example of highs and lows this year. On MSU's website they had a poll about what was the biggest win in MSU's history, the results...

2006-Colorado 25.1% (732)
1984-La. Tech 21.3% (621)
1976-Akron 20.3% (594)
2002-Montana 19.9% (582)
1984-Fresno St. 8.3% (241)
1984-Rhode Island 5.1% (150)

http://www.msubobcats.com/index.php?pollOption=0&voted=Yes&seeresults=Yes

I am guessing that the Max Media "entity" selling the Chadron State DVDs is affiliated with the company that broadcast the game last weekend, because I heard something about a live broadcast of the MSU game and a tape-delayed broadcast of the Griz game. :cool:

GaSouthern
September 12th, 2006, 04:51 PM
GSU have NEVER beaten a real I-A team, thats the last huge hurdle we have yet to accomplish.

89Hen
September 12th, 2006, 07:56 PM
I am guessing that the Max Media "entity" selling the Chadron State DVDs is affiliated with the company that broadcast the game last weekend
That's what it sounded like to me. :nod:

igo4uni
September 12th, 2006, 08:21 PM
GSU have NEVER beaten a real I-A team, thats the last huge hurdle we have yet to accomplish.

In the late 80's, UNI beat Kansas State several times. Also UNI beat Iowa State in 92 and 94.

Nothing is better than beating a I-A program. :nod: :nod:

Tod
September 12th, 2006, 09:59 PM
In the late 80's, UNI beat Kansas State several times. Also UNI beat Iowa State in 92 and 94.

Nothing is better than beating a I-A program. :nod: :nod:

Winning your conference, winning any playoff game, and winning a NC are ALL better than beating a I-A program, IMO. :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

igo4uni
September 12th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Winning your conference, winning any playoff game, and winning a NC are ALL better than beating a I-A program, IMO. :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

You may have a point in Montana and North Dakota...........states that do not have I-A programs.

However, here in Iowa, UNI is always portrayed as the "little sister" when it comes to football coverage.
When UNI beats a I-A program it really helps our credibility in the state of Iowa. Especially if we can beat Iowa State like we did in 92 and 94.

:twocents:

Tod
September 12th, 2006, 10:13 PM
You may have a point in Montana and North Dakota...........states that do not have I-A programs.

However, here in Iowa, UNI is always portrayed as the "little sister" when it comes to football coverage.
When UNI beats a I-A program it really helps our credibility in the state of Iowa. Especially if we can beat Iowa State like we did in 92 and 94.

Would you rather have the guarantee of a win vs. ISU, or the guarantee of a win in the playoffs? For that matter, a win over ISU or a I-AA NC?

crunifan
September 12th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Would you rather have the guarantee of a win vs. ISU, or the guarantee of a win in the playoffs? For that matter, a win over ISU or a I-AA NC?

In Iowa, it would mean more to beat Iowa State. Unless we play in the National Championship game (like last year) the state of Iowa is too busy following the Hawkeyes and the Cyclones.

But as a I-AA follower, I would rather make the play-offs.

JALMOND
September 13th, 2006, 03:49 PM

I agree. Whenever we play a I-A, it brings recognition to our program from the Pac-10 rich Oregonian (even though the Oregonian building is right across the street from PGE Park). This year, our win at New Mexico got a front page blurb (right below Oregon's) and front page coverage on the sports section. In years past, we've been relegated to being next to DIII's Linfield. After that win, we received a few highlights in the Fanfare spot in the Oregonian that is usually reserved for I-A material. This week, there was mention that UC-Berkeley should not take the Vikings for granted in the Pac-10 roundup, a fact that would have been glossed over in years past.

PIRATETIZED1
September 14th, 2006, 05:05 AM
I also agree that it is a Big Deal for a Div.II to beat a I-AA & I-AA to beat a I-A Team.

Having said that, it is past time for Hampton and other MEAC schools to step it UP. Thank GOD, SCState is beginning to show the way. They will be playing Air Force at Colorado Springs & South Carolina at Columbia in the 2007 season.

Thank You "Football GOD"!!!!

PIRATETIZED :cool:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
HAMPTON UNIVERSITY - “…Of Service To God and Our Nation…”

Catbooster
September 14th, 2006, 07:09 PM
While I agree with you, those are all results of a season, not really an individual game. It takes multiple wins to reach that point. I think if I could pick one single game, it would be beating a I-A.

blukeys
September 14th, 2006, 08:20 PM
I also agree that it is a Big Deal for a Div.II to beat a I-AA & I-AA to beat a I-A Team.

Having said that, it is past time for Hampton and other MEAC schools to step it UP. Thank GOD, SCState is beginning to show the way. They will be playing Air Force at Colorado Springs & South Carolina at Columbia in the 2007 season.

Thank You "Football GOD"!!!!

PIRATETIZED :cool:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
HAMPTON UNIVERSITY - “…Of Service To God and Our Nation…”

SC State will have their hands full with Air Force but they should absolutely punish Columbia. SC STATE is one of my favorite MEAC teams. They are physical and basic. You have to beat them in the trenches. They are a mano on mano team. You can beat them on the score board with better skill players but you never beat them up. :nod: :nod:

poly51
September 14th, 2006, 10:18 PM
Some teams seem to win regularly when playing "up".
All I have is records for Cal Poly.
D-II Cal Poly over I-A Fresno State 24-12 1978
D-II Cal Poly over I-AA Boise State 7-3 1978
D-II Cal Poly over I-A Fresno State 26-0 1979
D-II Champion Cal Poly over I-AA Champion Boise State 23-20 1980
D-II Cal Poly over I-AA Idaho State 15-13 1982
D-II Cal Poly over I-AA Idaho State 44-37 1983
I-AA Cal Poly over I-A New Mexico State 38-35 OT 1997
I-AA Cal Poly over I-A UTEP 34-13 2003
Ralph, that is 8 wins. Not bad.

Ref: 2006 Cal Poly Football Media Guide.
I got it today. It is great.