18. Eastern Illinois Panthers 1-1 799 20
19. Eastern Kentucky Colonels 1-1 688 23
20. Montana State Bobcats 1-1 670 11
21. UC Davis Aggies 1-1 653 19
22. Lafayette Leopards 2-0 476 25
23. Texas State Bobcats 1-1 390 22
24. Georgia Southern Eagles 0-1 328 13
25. Alabama A&M Bulldogs 2-0 207 NR
Others receiving votes: Nicholls State 176, Southern 91, Idaho State 86, Towson 66, Central Connecticut State 63, South Carolina State 61, Delaware State 58, Jacksonville State 55, Harvard 53, William & Mary 48, Hofstra 46, Brown 38, Chattanooga 37, Mississippi Valley State 19, Western Carolina 15, Grambling State 11, Coastal Carolina 10, Colgate 10, Eastern Washington 10, Jackson State 8, Sam Houston State 8, Northern Arizona 8, Western Illinois 7, Wofford 7, Liberty 5.

JALMOND
September 11th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Portland State 3 first place votes. Maybe my AGS vote would not have been disqualified, if I would have voted.

89Hen
September 11th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Sports Network's I-AA College Football Poll
13. Portland State Vikings (3)
Any Given Saturday Poll Top 25
14. Portland State (1)

Interesting. :eyebrow:

aceinthehole
September 11th, 2006, 12:46 PM
:smiley_wi Sports Network's I-AA College Football Poll
Team (First-place votes) Record Points Previous Rank
1. New Hampshire Wildcats (56) 1-0 2,513 2
2. Appalachian State Mountaineers (42) 1-1 2,469 1
3. Cal Poly Mustangs (1) 2-0 2,230 5
4. Furman Paladins 2-0 2,221 4
5. Montana Grizzlies 1-1 2,058 6
6. Youngstown State Penguins (1) 2-0 1,952 8
7. Illinois State Redbirds 1-1 1,901 7
8. Richmond Spiders 1-0 1,828 10
9. Massachusetts Minutemen 1-1 1,699 9
10. Hampton Pirates 2-0 1,469 14
11. Delaware Blue Hens 1-0 1,303 15
12. Northern Iowa Panthers 1-1 1,208 3
13. Portland State Vikings (3) 2-0 1,129 21
14. McNeese State Cowboys 1-1 1,101 16
15. James Madison Dukes 1-1 1,083 12
16. Southern Illinois Salukis 1-0 1,061 17
17. North Dakota State Bison 1-0 1,026 18
18. Eastern Illinois Panthers 1-1 799 20
19. Eastern Kentucky Colonels 1-1 688 23
20. Montana State Bobcats 1-1 670 11
21. UC Davis Aggies 1-1 653 19
22. Lafayette Leopards 2-0 476 25
23. Texas State Bobcats 1-1 390 22
24. Georgia Southern Eagles 0-1 328 13
25. Alabama A&M Bulldogs 2-0 207 NR
Others receiving votes: Nicholls State 176, Southern 91, Idaho State 86, Towson 66, Central Connecticut State 63, South Carolina State 61, Delaware State 58, Jacksonville State 55, Harvard 53, William & Mary 48, Hofstra 46, Brown 38, Chattanooga 37, Mississippi Valley State 19, Western Carolina 15, Grambling State 11, Coastal Carolina 10, Colgate 10, Eastern Washington 10, Jackson State 8, Sam Houston State 8, Northern Arizona 8, Western Illinois 7, Wofford 7, Liberty 5.

Sorry, that where I have a problem, and yes I'm OK that CCSU isn't ranked (the high votes received is respect enough for me).

But please tell me how GSU at 0-1 should be ranked higher than ANY of the teams recieveing votes? Just doesn't compute to me.

Retro
September 11th, 2006, 12:48 PM
As i said in another thread, UNI should be either out at the bottom of this poll.. They lost to a lower division team and portand state beat a I-A and is 2-0 and should be higher...

OL FU
September 11th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Sorry, that where I have a problem, and yes I'm OK that CCSU isn't ranked (the high votes received is respect enough for me).

But please tell me how GSU at 0-1 should be ranked higher than ANY of the teams recieveing votes? Just doesn't compute to me.

I agree, old habits die hard:nod:

Cap'n Cat
September 11th, 2006, 12:51 PM
As i said in another thread, UNI should be either out at the bottom of this poll.. They lost to a lower division team and portand state beat a I-A and is 2-0 and should be higher...

Can understand the sentiment, Rettie, but not the logic. The game, a great one for UND, was, we're hoping, an aberration for UNI. Way too early in the season to make the judgment you want to. As many have said in other threads, as well, many a team has lost to a D-II, then made the playoffs and then some.

:nod: :nod:

OL FU
September 11th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Can understand the sentiment, Rettie, but not the logic. The game, a great one for UND, was, we're hoping, an aberration for UNI. Way too early in the season to make the judgment you want to. As many have said in other threads, as well, many a team has lost to a D-II, then made the playoffs and then some.

Furman 1985 lost to Newberry second game of the season.
Lost to GSU in the NC the last game of the season:nod:

Cap'n Cat
September 11th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Furman 1985 lost to Newberry second game of the season.
Lost to GSU in the NC the last game of the season:nod:

Northern Iowa lost to lowly Drake first game of the sesaon in '85 and made it to the semifinals.

Please let Retro know all this, so he can calm down and pick out another receiver for his hangover wrath.

Thanks.

:) :) :D :D

birdsflyhigh
September 11th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Kind of suprised to see YSU leapfrog ISU's Birds, but the teams are ranked close which is right on the mark. Also UNI's drop was significant, but a loss to a lower division team is a definite bad sign. Very suprised to see that WKU received NO votes after their close road loss to their ranked in-state big rival EKU. Hmmm? :confused:

Pard4Life
September 11th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Again.. GSU... :confused: I don't get it...

I am also surprised and disappointed to see MSU and UNI where they are. C'mon... D2 losses!

And I agree, PSU is looking pretty good... I have them 12 in my AGS poll.

HensRock
September 11th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Cap'n,
UNI should not be ranked. If was an abberation as you say, let them earn their way back in. Until then, they are out in my vote. (And I had them ranked #2 last week)

This is not the AVERAGE 25 we're talking about here folks! This is the TOP 25 of Div I-AA. A Top 25 team should never, ever lose to a Div-II team. And before anyone jumps on me - YES I know there are examples of teams making the playoffs after losing to a Div-II. For every one of those examples I can give 10 examples where other teams did not.

If UNI turns out to be really good later this year, then I'll gladly vote them back in. BUT THEY NEED TO EARN IT, FIRST!

DaveK
September 11th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Cap'n,
UNI should not be ranked. If was an abberation as you say, let them earn their way back in. Until then, they are out in my vote. (And I had them ranked #2 last week)

This is not the AVERAGE 25 we're talking about here folks! This is the TOP 25 of Div I-AA. A Top 25 team should never, ever lose to a Div-II team. And before anyone jumps on me - YES I know there are examples of teams making the playoffs after losing to a Div-II. For every one of those examples I can give 10 examples where other teams did not.

If UNI turns out to be really good later this year, then I'll gladly vote them back in. BUT THEY NEED TO EARN IT, FIRST!

This kind of talk is incredibly insulting to UND. They're a great team who proved that they will have no problem adjusting to D-1AA when they make the move in two years. The better team won that game, and yes UNI is still good enough to be ranked.

Retro
September 11th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Northern Iowa lost to lowly Drake first game of the sesaon in '85 and made it to the semifinals.

Please let Retro know all this, so he can calm down and pick out another receiver for his hangover wrath.

Thanks.

:) :) :D :D

Obviously you don't realize your supposed to vote for teams based on how good they are RIGHT NOW, not how you think they will be at seasons end... PSU should be well ahead of UNI PERIOD! If UNI rebounds and does well, then they will move up in time.... Your just a homer.:doh:

Not sure what you mean by the hangover wrath.:confused:

HensRock
September 11th, 2006, 03:12 PM
This kind of talk is incredibly insulting to UND. They're a great team who proved that they will have no problem adjusting to D-1AA when they make the move in two years. The better team won that game, and yes UNI is still good enough to be ranked.

I meant no disrespect to UND. Congrats on a fine win in a hostile environment against what is probably and usually[/B] a very good I-AA team. My point is that for voting this week's poll, I need proof. Beating Drake and losing to UND is not proof enough for me. It really doesn't matter how good of a team UND is - UNI lost.

Wouldn't you agree that UNI was favored to win that game and UND was the underdog? To me, Top 25 teams win games that they are supposed to win. I am well aware that there are Div-II teams capable of beating I-AA's on any given Saturday. But it is my position that a TOP 25 I-AA should be favored to win when playing at home hosting a Div-II team. UNI probably will go on to win many more games this year and as I said, I will vote them back in if and when that happens. But they have to EARN it first. That's my only point. For this week, I'm voting them off the island!

psc2445
September 11th, 2006, 03:22 PM
I meant no disrespect to UND. Congrats on a fine win in a hostile environment against what is probably and usually[/B] a very good I-AA team. My point is that for voting this week's poll, I need proof. Beating Drake and losing to UND is not proof enough for me. It really doesn't matter how good of a team UND is - UNI lost.

Wouldn't you agree that UNI was favored to win that game and UND was the underdog? To me, Top 25 teams win games that they are supposed to win. I am well aware that there are Div-II teams capable of beating I-AA's on any given Saturday. But it is my position that a TOP 25 I-AA should be favored to win when playing at home hosting a Div-II team. UNI probably will go on to win many more games this year and as I said, I will vote them back in if and when that happens. But they have to EARN it first. That's my only point. For this week, I'm voting them off the island!

well said, RIGHT NOW is why we have polls, if not we would just rank on history

Cap'n Cat
September 11th, 2006, 03:23 PM

Well, apprently a huge majority of people smarter than you and I know better and saw fit that UNI is not deserving of this meteoric fall you're calling for and did see it as a possible aberration. Also, as the UND guy said above, you are being very insulting to the UND people, something that, if it were I-A people talking about Delaware, you'd be highly offended. Think about that shat first, guys.

In the end, it's two different ways to look at it; two different philosophies on polling. Neither is completely right or wrong.

And, I'm no homer. I'm the azzhole who's been high-fiving North Dakota on three or four different boards all day! That is something one would virtually NEVER see from a Delaware fan, in my experience.

You may not like me, but I'm one of the only five or six fairest, most complimentary people here. So leave the biased **** at home, boys.

ASU Kep
September 11th, 2006, 03:23 PM
If a I-AA went into a top-5 I-A's house and beat them there, the I-A wouldn't be ranked. Same rules should apply here. I think UNI will do all right this season, but all we've seen so far is not impressive.

...and kudos for moving UNH up to number 1. Our defense has so far proven that we belong in the top 2-5, but our offense is right now not playing like the team to beat in I-AA should. I thought it would happen after the NC State game. No worries, we'll get it back. ASU for the last three years has always started off slow offensively (even w/ that guy Richie Williams at the helm). Our playcalling has been almost insanely conservative thus far, too, which has not really helped matters. I think Coach Moore is just trying to slowly break Trey in. I expect to see more and more deep passes and such as the weeks go by. It'll be (hopefully) a few weeks now until ASU gets tested again.

DaveK
September 11th, 2006, 03:30 PM
If a I-AA went into a top-5 I-A's house and beat them there, the I-A wouldn't be ranked.

That's because, in all fairness, there's a huge difference in the talent level between a top 5 D-1A and a top 5 D-1AA while at the same time there is very little difference in the talent level between a top 5 D2 and a top 5 D-1AA... as we all found out a couple of days ago.

malachi
September 11th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Nicholls now feels how ASU felt against LSU last season.

How do you poll a team (I-AA) that plays a top ranked I-A team?

I project we will be back in the top 25 after the LA Tech game. with a win, i would hope we can be in the top 20.

CSU BUCS
September 11th, 2006, 03:35 PM
How does Liberty get votes???? While we have won our last seven games and receive 0 votes

89Hen
September 11th, 2006, 03:40 PM
That's because, in all fairness, there's a huge difference in the talent level between a top 5 D-1A and a top 5 D-1AA while at the same time there is very little difference in the talent level between a top 5 D2 and a top 5 D-1AA... as we all found out a couple of days ago.
I'd have to agree with DK. NDSU beat a playoff bound Montana in Missoula in 2003 when NDSU was still in DII. I don't think any I-AA can make a similar claim. I think the last I-AA to beat a bowl bound I-A was Delaware over Navy in 2003 and Navy is not to I-A what Montana is to I-AA. :twocents:

HensRock
September 11th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Well, apprently a huge majority of people smarter than you and I know better and saw fit that UNI is not deserving of this meteoric fall you're calling for and did see it as a possible aberration. Also, as the UND guy said above, you are being very insulting to the UND people, something that, if it were I-A people talking about Delaware, you'd be highly offended. Think about that shat first, guys.

In the end, it's two different ways to look at it; two different philosophies on polling. Neither is completely right or wrong.

And, I'm no homer. I'm the azzhole who's been high-fiving North Dakota on three or four different boards all day! That is something one would virtually NEVER see from a Delaware fan, in my experience.

You may not like me, but I'm one of the only five or six fairest, most complimentary people here. So leave the biased **** at home, boys.

As I said above, I meant no disrespect to UND. I also meant none to you. I simply disagree with you. No need to get personal. And as far as Delaware fans being gracious in defeat, you don't know me very well, do you?

I've seen your posts and I think it's great that you are complimentary towards UND. They deserve it. I would do the same.

How many of the other Top 25 I-AA teams do you think UND would be favored (by the general population) to beat AT the I-AA's home field?

And if anyone was disrespectful to UND, it would be UNI and their coaching staff before the game. They took the Sioux lightly and paid for it.

RabidRabbit
September 11th, 2006, 03:42 PM

:nono: :nono: :nono: I disagree. There is a LOT of difference between a top 5 I-AA team and a top II team. But that difference is MAINLY in DEPTH and the ability to recover or sustain when a KEY player gets sidelined for the rest of the season. D-II, can't handle that loss, to thin. I-AA, fill in and keep going, but with a somewhat different direction. Montana will be a good example of that this year. So, early in the season, the depth issue isn't there, because injuries haven't yet taken toll. We'll see how UND does if the big 2 or 3 UND guys go down.

I don't like that the Jacks now get to go to that Panther Lair, it'll seem more like a hornet's nest after Sioux abuse. :eek:

89Hen
September 11th, 2006, 03:43 PM
How does Liberty get votes???? While we have won our last seven games and receive 0 votes
No offense, but with your schedule it would take 8-0 for me to give you consideration for the Top 25 (I don't have Liberty either)

Presbyterian
Citadel (decent)
Wingate
North Greenville
Savannah State
Edward Waters :confused:
VMI
Georgetown...

none of these teams are even close to Top 25 material. : smh :

Cap'n Cat
September 11th, 2006, 03:47 PM
As I said above, I meant no disrespect to UND. I also meant none to you. I simply disagree with you. No need to get personal. And as far as Delaware fans being gracious in defeat, you don't know me very well, do you?

I've seen your posts and I think it's great that you are complimentary towards UND. They deserve it. I would do the same.

How many of the other Top 25 I-AA teams do you think UND would be favored (by the general population) to beat AT the I-AA's home field?

And if anyone was disrespectful to UND, it would be UNI and their coaching staff before the game. They took the Sioux lightly and paid for it.

You're right, HensRock. I *****ed up. I thought you were 89Hen. I never miss a chance to get after him.

xlolx xlolx xlolx

;) ;)

Regarding UND being favored at other I-AA's, who knows? As with UNI, there is unfamiliarity with the opponent. Could have happened anywhere, even at Delaware. That why I say it's too quick to judge.

HensRock
September 11th, 2006, 03:52 PM

So you're saying that the #1 DII team (Grand Valley State) would be about on par with the #5 I-AA team (Montana). Or that #4 UND would be about equal to #9 UMass? And therefore, UND would be favored to beat at least half of the I-AA Top 25? Is that what you are saying?

birdsflyhigh
September 11th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Wholeheartly agree with HensRock on this one. No knock on UND's program (in fact, congrats for the great win), but what has UNI showed us so far that would qualify them as being one of the top 25 I-AA teams?

A win over non-scholly Drake and an embarassing home loss to a lower divison team? WOW! I would think there a plenty of schools that would be able to beat Drake and take care of business at home against (an admittedly good) lower division team. Would hope that more voters would be of the mind to vote teams that are deserving of being in the top 25 THAT particular week.

I'm not down on UNI at all, but just don't think they've not shown alot so far. Have alot of respect for the Panthers and hope they get their defensive problems straightened out because a strong UNI team strengthens the entire GFC. :thumbsup:

HensRock
September 11th, 2006, 03:56 PM
You're right, HensRock. I *****ed up. I thought you were 89Hen. I never miss a chance to get after him.

xlolx xlolx xlolx

Oh *****! That explains everything!
xlolx xlolx xlolx

GrizFamily
September 11th, 2006, 03:59 PM
What's up with McTeam? Kinda nice to see them showing up in the polls again.

rokamortis
September 11th, 2006, 04:00 PM
No offense, but with your schedule it would take 8-0 for me to give you consideration for the Top 25 (I don't have Liberty either)

Presbyterian
Citadel (decent)
Wingate
North Greenville
Savannah State
Edward Waters :confused:
VMI
Georgetown...

none of these teams are even close to Top 25 material. : smh :

I think his point is that CSU has the better wins so far and would be better desrving, which I agree with at this point. But Liberty faces a much better OOC. For CSU, their best game will either be El Cid or one of the Big South schools, which isn't really saying much. Liberty has an opportunity to earn those votes by playing Towson, Wake Forest, Wlliam and Mary, and Western Carolina.

89Hen
September 11th, 2006, 04:09 PM
So you're saying that the #1 DII team (Grand Valley State) would be about on par with the #5 I-AA team (Montana). Or that #4 UND would be about equal to #9 UMass? And therefore, UND would be favored to beat at least half of the I-AA Top 25? Is that what you are saying?
That's not how I read it. I read it to mean Grand Valley is closer to Montana than Montana would be to Auburn (or whoever the #5 I-A is now). :twocents:

Cap'n Cat
September 11th, 2006, 04:13 PM
That's not how I read it. I read it to mean Grand Valley is closer to Montana than Montana would be to Auburn (or whoever the #5 I-A is now). :twocents:

Agreed.

89Hen
September 11th, 2006, 04:14 PM
WTF did I do? :confused: :p

BTW, I dropped UNI 17 spots too. It may be an aberration, but it's only week 2. UNI will have plenty of opportunity to PROVE it's an aberration. I didn't drop MSU as much because one, they weren't as high as UNI in my ballot and two, the win over CU is far more impressive than a win over Drake (no offense Drake fans).

Cap'n Cat
September 11th, 2006, 04:21 PM
WTF did I do? :confused: :p

BTW, I dropped UNI 17 spots too. It may be an aberration, but it's only week 2. UNI will have plenty of opportunity to PROVE it's an aberration. I didn't drop MSU as much because one, they weren't as high as UNI in my ballot and two, the win over CU is far more impressive than a win over Drake (no offense Drake fans).

You did nothing.

:p

Don't disagree with you. As I said in one of these poll threads, there're two ways to look at voting in these polls.

:D :) :D :)

elkmcc
September 11th, 2006, 04:39 PM
:nono: :nono: :nono: I disagree. There is a LOT of difference between a top 5 I-AA team and a top II team. But that difference is MAINLY in DEPTH and the ability to recover or sustain when a KEY player gets sidelined for the rest of the season. D-II, can't handle that loss, to thin. I-AA, fill in and keep going, but with a somewhat different direction. Montana will be a good example of that this year. So, early in the season, the depth issue isn't there, because injuries haven't yet taken toll. We'll see how UND does if the big 2 or 3 UND guys go down.

I don't like that the Jacks now get to go to that Panther Lair, it'll seem more like a hornet's nest after Sioux abuse. :eek:

It will be real interesting to see how the Jacks do at UNI. Personally I don't think SDSU is as bad as their record might indicate. The biggest question for the Jacks would be whether nor not they have any fight left in them. Pride alone might motivate the Jacks. I would imagine they dread hearing it from UND all season. Still UNI better be ready for SDSU. On the other hand UNI is usually (normally would say always) very tough at home in the dome and Sanders has proven over and over that he is a winner and a stud.

If DII UND lets this win go to their head they will be doing the bobcat blitz themselves. DII's might pull off the upset but if you were to throw an entire I-AA schedule at them the results would surely be bleak.

When the griz lost to NDSU in '03 I think they only fell 7 or 8 spots in the Sports Network Poll. UNI can look at it that way, a bump in the road.

HensRock
September 11th, 2006, 05:51 PM

I agree with your statement - although it would be Grand Valley State is closer to UNH than UNH is to Ohio State. Taking the current #1 in each (sub)division.

But what DaveK said is the top 5 Div-II and top 5 Div-IAA are "very close". So I compared the #1 Div-II with the #5 I-AA and the #4 Div-II with the #9 I-AA. This is where I disagree. I do not think UND would be favored to beat any Top 25 I-AA team. DaveK is trying to say that UND's victory over the "#2 Team in I-AA" allegedly PROVES this statement. But whether UNI is a Top 5 I-AA or even Top 25 is what the whole cruxt of the argument is about in the first place!

Chi Panther
September 11th, 2006, 06:53 PM
It will be real interesting to see how the Jacks do at UNI. Personally I don't think SDSU is as bad as their record might indicate. The biggest question for the Jacks would be whether nor not they have any fight left in them. Pride alone might motivate the Jacks. I would imagine they dread hearing it from UND all season. Still UNI better be ready for SDSU. On the other hand UNI is usually (normally would say always) very tough at home in the dome and Sanders has proven over and over that he is a winner and a stud.

If DII UND lets this win go to their head they will be doing the bobcat blitz themselves. DII's might pull off the upset but if you were to throw an entire I-AA schedule at them the results would surely be bleak.

When the griz lost to NDSU in '03 I think they only fell 7 or 8 spots in the Sports Network Poll. UNI can look at it that way, a bump in the road.

Good Post....agree with it all...

ASU Kep
September 11th, 2006, 08:14 PM

Are you guys ranked in the top 5 of D-II? If you are, I wasn't aware. But still, I know the difference between the top-5 I-A/top 5 I-AA is greater then top 5 I-AA/top 5 D-II but there still is a significant difference, as there should be. UNI deserves to be absolutely nowhere even close to the top 5 of I-AA this week. Top 25? maybe.

HensRock
September 13th, 2006, 12:24 AM
Are you guys ranked in the top 5 of D-II? If you are, I wasn't aware. But still, I know the difference between the top-5 I-A/top 5 I-AA is greater then top 5 I-AA/top 5 D-II but there still is a significant difference, as there should be. UNI deserves to be absolutely nowhere even close to the top 5 of I-AA this week. Top 25? maybe.

Kep,
The UND Fighting Sioux were ranked #4 in Div-II before the UNI win. They are still ranked #4 this week I beleive.

Tod
September 13th, 2006, 01:16 AM
Kep,
The UND Fighting Sioux were ranked #4 in Div-II before the UNI win. They are still ranked #4 this week I beleive.

Those D-II bastards are tough!

IaaScribe
September 13th, 2006, 09:06 AM

Agreed wholeheartedly. Liberty should not be getting any votes until it proves it can beat a I-AA team.