PDA

View Full Version : Erk Rusell's 1982 Calendar

Sam I Am
July 23rd, 2013, 01:03 AM
Saw this on Georgia Southern Eagles Football's facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=698107243537954&set=a.287827981232551.96441.212994058715944&type=1&theater

One of Coach Erk Russell's famous calendars, this one from 1982. His birthday is today, July 23rd!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1009644_698107243537954_1383988490_o.jpg

dewey
July 23rd, 2013, 06:31 AM
That is awesome! I love the motto for the 8th.

Dewey

Laker
July 23rd, 2013, 06:40 AM
"Do not hate Valdosta State while in church. 23 hours will be sufficient today"

Now that is funny!:D

CID1990
July 23rd, 2013, 07:50 AM
Fight Proverty and Unemployment

Sent from the center of the universe.

cmaxwellgsu
July 23rd, 2013, 10:38 AM
This whole calendar is just full of gold. That weather report on the 5th is probably accurate for today.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 23rd, 2013, 11:00 AM
"Visit your friendly barber shop for a shave and a haircut between work-outs today." I really enjoyed this - thanks for sharing.

ASUMountaineer
July 23rd, 2013, 11:12 AM
Saw this on Georgia Southern Eagles Football's facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=698107243537954&set=a.287827981232551.96441.212994058715944&type=1&theater

One of Coach Erk Russell's famous calendars, this one from 1982. His birthday is today, July 23rd!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1009644_698107243537954_1383988490_o.jpg

As much as I hate the Stink, this is phenomenal. xnodx

ursus arctos horribilis
July 23rd, 2013, 01:35 PM
Erk is what made me a fan of GSU in the first place. Phenomenal dude all around.

Ivytalk
July 23rd, 2013, 01:42 PM
Now, that was one inspirational coach! What dedicated FB player wouldn't want to play for that guy?xbowxxthumbsupxxsmileyclapx

Eagle22
July 23rd, 2013, 01:57 PM
Now, that was one inspirational coach! What dedicated FB player wouldn't want to play for that guy?xbowxxthumbsupxxsmileyclapx

... and that was just a 3 week peek into his influence with players, family, fans and friends ....

There aren't many folks in this world like Erk, unfortunately.

Laker
July 23rd, 2013, 02:28 PM

I could have played for Erk. I read that and I get fired up. I couldn't have played for Charlie Weis- I'd have to go buy some toilet paper.

M Ruler
July 23rd, 2013, 05:29 PM
Great Stuff!

I think Erk and Bob Ford from Albany would have been great friends. Ford has very similar motivational tactics and is very similar to Erk except with a New England flare. "The Bipper" is from the Baaston area.

Ford would put up motivational quotes all over the weight room, locker room etc. One of the great quotes was "Albany Football....not everyone gets to play it. Make it count!"

Oh, and the other difference is Bob Ford didn't win 6 National Championships...yet!

Bisonoline
July 23rd, 2013, 05:36 PM
I could have played for Erk. I read that and I get fired up. I couldn't have played for Charlie Weis- I'd have to go buy some toilet paper.

If you don't like Charlie you would have hated Frank Lauterber who coached at IOWA.

Laker
July 23rd, 2013, 05:58 PM
If you don't like Charlie you would have hated Frank Lauterber who coached at IOWA.

With a 3–22–1 record in three seasons with the Hawks, I don't think Iowa fans did either! xbawlingx

Bisonoline
July 23rd, 2013, 07:07 PM
With a 3–22–1 record in three seasons with the Hawks, I don't think Iowa fans did either! xbawlingx

Oh I know. I played for him 1 year. Worst coach I ever played for.

Laker
July 23rd, 2013, 07:10 PM
Oh I know. I played for him 1 year. Worst coach I ever played for.

Interesting. I heard that he would go on profane rants both in private and public. I'm old school- used to private ones- but public ones are different. I would love to hear some stories!

Bisonoline
July 23rd, 2013, 07:35 PM
Interesting. I heard that he would go on profane rants both in private and public. I'm old school- used to private ones- but public ones are different. I would love to hear some stories!

Very little coaching. Mostly screaming---FULL BOAR. No technigue was taught to the O-line. Only teaching that was done as by Jersey Jeremiah(sp) Elroy Moran and Jack Harbaugh D-backs.
Ducky Lewis every other word was f---k.

Frank wanted to play Mac football in the B10 and thought we should be lean. My soph year 1971 I showed up for fall camp at 220lbs as an o-center. He thought I was too heavy and put me on the fat mans table. When we went to Columbus for the first game I was down to 199. The had d-backs that weighed more than I did. It was ridiculous. Half way through the season I made a decision that I couldn't play for this guy another two years the verbalabuse was horrendous. Not to mention we would go full contact ALL WEEK. Friday we got to go out is sweats. If you didn't practice you didn't play so you had guys who should have been in the tank for a few days during the week but they couldnt get any better and actually got worse. I was back last year for the lettermans day and I was talking to a former teammate and he told me that out of the 28 guys who were recruited by Nagel only 8 were left when Frank got fired.
I actually kew some teammates who quit. When they fired Frank they came back and played for Cummings because the B10 FINALLY inacted the redshirt rule. Up to that point you couldn't redshirt in the B10 less it was medical.

Bisonoline
July 23rd, 2013, 07:50 PM
The first spring practice was an eye opener. So after the Nagle -Evashefski (sp) fiasco Nagle is finally let go and the bring in Frank and crew. First spring practice we go out and line up for cal. He starts ranting because the lines aren't straight and how we don't have pride because of that fact. All through cal hes going nuts. Then at the very last exercise-burpies he didn't think we were doing them correctly and not with the effort he demanded. I don't know how long we did burpies but I do know a few guys fell out. Now everyone is exhausted and Frank is yelling at everyone because they are tired.
The worst day I ever had was during two a days. The other two centers had issues that day. We had 3-4 lines on the depth chart. With the other two centers not practicing I had to take there places in ALL the drills and scrimmages that day. So when the second team came in I was there center. The 3rd team also etc.

Bisonoline
July 23rd, 2013, 08:25 PM
To show you what azzholes they really were---During the game against Purdue I got sick. It was HOT and humid. Now this is the 4th game of the season and they think I must be out of shape. Really? They rant on my ass after the game in front of the whole team. So we get back to IC and I go right to bed. Next day I wake up and start puking and cant stop. I finally throw some clothes on and make it to the hospital. They determine I have a bad intestinal virus and admit me to the hospital. I was in the hospital for 3 days and they never called me to see how I was doing. And I was a starter.

Bisonoline
July 23rd, 2013, 08:43 PM
Its at this point I know Im done at Iowa. The team goes to Michigan and gets their ass kicked. The next week the go to Michigan state and I am still not travelling so I go home for the weekend. Talk to my parents and tell them whats going on and they say why not call NDSU because they were my second pick. I didn't want to do that at that point so my MOM says NDSU is playing Mankato State lets go over and watch the game. So we go over and Iam waiting outside the locker room when the game is over. Erhardt sees me and ask what the hell I am doing there because I was supposed to be starting for Iowa. I just told him I was leaving Iowa and wanted to know if he still wanted me to come to NDSU. His eyes get big and says--this the middle of the season. I cant talk to you. Give me a call when the season was over. I told him I was coming to NDSU. He said--finish out the season and see how you feel then call me. I told him I am coming.
So I go back to Iowa and bust my ass off and get my starting job back for the last two game. We are flying back from the last game against Illinois and Frank is walking down the aisle telling everyone how we are going to be better next year Blah blah blah. He gets to me and look at him and he starts his speal and I cut him off and tell him to hold the BS as Im not coming back. The look on his face was priceless. So I get back to IC, and party my ass off for about 2-3 weeks. Packed my stuff and drove to Fargo and said here I am. Erhardt was shocked as he never thought I would transfer after regaining my starting position. I told him---I told you I was coming--here Iam.

Bisonoline
July 23rd, 2013, 09:10 PM
There was one other guy on the fat mans table by the name of Wendal Bell DT from LA and drove a VW. He was 6-3 300lbs and could run a 4.95 40. A nice guy and a real talent.
So we are going through 2 a days and Wendal just isn't losing as much weight as they would like. They are watching what he drinks. Diet soda and only diet salad dressing on the table. No sugar for you tea. Etc etc. We are almost done with 2 a days and Wendal is Always smiling at dinner and has a great attitude. Which at the end of two a days is just hard to believe. I think we had 3 days left and I went to bed as soon as I could after meetings because I was beat. At about 12 oclock I hear all of this yelling and screaming. I get out of bed and run to the hall and there is Wendal trying defend himself against a coach who was swatting him with a pizza and the pizza box. Wendal had been paying a guy to come up the back stairs and bring him pizzas. The coaches knew something was up so they did a late night bed check and caught him snarfing down this pizza. Now if you have never seen a coach who stands about 5-9 swatting a guy 6-3 upside the head with a pizza then you haven't lived. Still to this day one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 23rd, 2013, 10:27 PM
Well, I certainly didn't see all that coming. xlolx

CW seems like an alright dude now that I look at it from a different perspective.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 23rd, 2013, 10:33 PM
What a great thread hijack Bisonoline!

eaglewraith
July 23rd, 2013, 11:12 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/31825642.jpg

Hammerhead
July 24th, 2013, 11:41 AM
I always say that isn't a bald spot on the top of my head -- it's a solar panel for my brain.

"Visit your friendly barber shop for a shave and a haircut between work-outs today." I really enjoyed this - thanks for sharing.