PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Recruiting 2014

DFW HOYA
July 22nd, 2013, 09:54 AM
It's only July, but I found a link noting 44 offers being made by the Red Raiders to date for 2014:
http://www.colgatefootballcollection.com/temporary.html

Below are the results from the Rivals/Yahoo database, which isn't as comprehensive but a snapshot of where the teams are focusing right now. According to this list, there are no summer commits to date among PL schools, though I have read that Colgate, Lafayette, and Holy Cross each have a few already.

Holy Cross: 29 offers (16 committed elsewhere, 13 remain uncommited)
Bucknell: 21 offers (11 committed elsewhere, 10 remain uncommitted)
Colgate: 21 offers (13 committed elsewhere, 8 remain uncommitted)
Fordham: 14 offers (3 committed elsewhere, 11 remain uncommitted)
Lafayette: 10 offers (4 committed elsewhere, 6 remain uncommitted)
Lehigh: 6 offers (3 committed elsewhere, 3 remain uncommitted)
Georgetown: No offers

Are the regular PL posters hearing of other commits from their schools?

CFBfan
July 22nd, 2013, 10:11 AM
It's only July, but I found a link noting 44 offers being made by the Red Raiders to date for 2014:

Below are the results from the Rivals/Yahoo database, which isn't as comprehensive but a snapshot of where the teams are focusing right now. According to this list, there are no summer commits to date among PL schools, though I have read that Colgate, Lafayette, and Holy Cross each have a few already.

With no schollies to offer Kelly should get out in front and try to "wine and dine" as many kids as possible, it seems foolish to me not to be offering kids a spot at GU, early interest and a little love can go a long way for some kids in their decision making process. When you are at a competetive disadvantage like GU is you would think they would do EVERYTHING they possibly could to woo kids.

Fordham
July 22nd, 2013, 10:33 AM
Our board reports two DT signings so far but that's based upon the kid's FB or Twitter posts/tweets which I never personally confirm since it just seems creepy.

Our golf outing is on Monday so I should know more about a bunch of stuff after that.

CFBfan
July 22nd, 2013, 10:44 AM
Fordham, verbals not signings right?

Fordham
July 22nd, 2013, 10:53 AM
yes, sorry. I believe it has to be a verbal at this point. Thanks for the clarification

RichH2
July 22nd, 2013, 11:10 AM
For LU, no verbals , as of yet. Offers ,17 that I can find,altho there are undoubtedly more.

CFBfan
July 22nd, 2013, 11:28 AM

according to gates board they have 45 offers out there and 1 commit

Sader87
July 22nd, 2013, 12:16 PM
HC has 2 known verbals as of now:

Sean Smercyzinski LB 5'11" 230 St John's Prep MA
Jack Kutschke LB 6'5" 235 Lake Forest Il

Kutschke's father played at HC in the 80's.

colorless raider
July 22nd, 2013, 12:20 PM
according to gates board they have 45 offers out there and 1 commit

No commits for Gate.

CFBfan
July 22nd, 2013, 12:21 PM
HC has 2 known verbals as of now:

Sean Smercyzinski LB 5'11" 230 St John's Prep MA
Jack Kutschke LB 6'5" 235 Lake Forest Il

Kutschke's father played at HC in the 80's.

6'5" 235...that's a big boy!!

CFBfan
July 22nd, 2013, 12:22 PM
No commits for Gate.

gate board shows 1 (qb)?

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 22nd, 2013, 12:24 PM
I think there's something to the fact Lehigh, Colgate, Fordham and Lafayette are laying low right now while HC and Bucknell are throwing darts are everything that moves.

CFBfan
July 22nd, 2013, 12:31 PM
I think there's something to the fact Lehigh, Colgate, Fordham and Lafayette are laying low right now while HC and Bucknell are throwing darts are everything that moves.

?? Colgate has as many out there as Bucknell....

Sader87
July 22nd, 2013, 12:34 PM

Such as?

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 22nd, 2013, 12:34 PM
?? Colgate has as many out there as Bucknell....

Ooops, owell

Still, I think it's better to pick and choose kids that are truly interested in playing at your school. Colgate recruits a different kind of player than Lehigh, Fordham and Lafayette imo. Biddle does a lot with less imo...

CFBfan
July 22nd, 2013, 12:39 PM
Ooops, owell

Still, I think it's better to pick and choose kids that are truly interested in playing at your school. Colgate recruits a different kind of player than Lehigh, Fordham and Lafayette imo. Biddle does a lot with less imo...

how so?? over the past few years (this years schollie class incleded) i know several kids with offers from all the schools you mentioned here??

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 22nd, 2013, 12:43 PM
how so?? over the past few years (this years schollie class incleded) i know several kids with offers from all the schools you mentioned here??

Because you have to concentrate on kids that you're believe there's very realistic chance they'll attend. I'm not sure the recruiting budgets or number of official visits these schools are allowed but I'm assuming neither are very high.

I know Coen has specifically stated that he doesn't really like to waste his time on kids that really likely aren't coming.

Franks Tanks
July 22nd, 2013, 12:53 PM
Lafayette has two verbals so far.

1. Beau Bosch from D-6 in PA (sort of middle of nowhere west of State College). He plays QB in HS and is listed as 6'5" and 216 lbs. Looks like he is being recruited as a TE. He is from a small school and played many positions in HS, and is also an excellent basketball player. Offered by Penn, and perhaps some interest by lower level FBS schools. Looks like he was also considering to some degree a Penn State walk on spot.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Beau-Bosch-149333

2. Jarred Fragapane a 6'4" 230 lb FB/LB from North Catholic in Pittsburgh. It appears he will be used as DE or LB. Also offered by Bucknell and Penn.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Jarred-Fragapane-150881

Credit to Andy on the Lafayette board for sniffing these out.. I believe both were confirmed via twitter.

Both seem to be tall, athletic guys that are quite versatile.

CFBfan
July 22nd, 2013, 12:54 PM
Because you have to concentrate on kids that you're believe there's very realistic chance they'll attend. I'm not sure the recruiting budgets or number of official visits these schools are allowed but I'm assuming neither are very high.

I know Coen has specifically stated that he doesn't really like to waste his time on kids that really likely aren't coming.

how does that equate to "Colgate recruits a different kind of player then LU. LC and FU" ???

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 22nd, 2013, 12:56 PM
how does that equate to "Colgate recruits a different kind of player then LU. LC and FU" ???

I think Biddle looks for a different type of player because his teams run more on a system. Plus, not be mean but playing in front of 3,000 in a sleepy Hamilton isn't the easiest sell. It is a great school however, but they all are...

CFBfan
July 22nd, 2013, 12:59 PM
I think Biddle looks for a different type of player because his teams run more on a system. Plus, not be mean but playing in front of 3,000 in a sleepy Hamilton isn't the easiest sell. It is a great school however, but they all are...

I really don't see how Colgate recruits kids that are different than the kids the rest of the PL recruits......no offense intended

Sader87
July 22nd, 2013, 01:02 PM
I can't imagine any of the PL schools recruiting that differently. Each school sort of has their own "home-base" i.e Lehigh the Middle Atlantic states, HC more New England based etc but most recruit more at a national level.

HC may recruit (or be recruited by the players) at more of the Catholic schools across the country but I think that happened moreso in the last generation(s) than now.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 22nd, 2013, 01:11 PM
I can't imagine any of the PL schools recruiting that differently. Each school sort of has their own "home-base" i.e Lehigh the Middle Atlantic states, HC more New England based etc but most recruit more at a national level.

HC may recruit (or be recruited by the players) at more of the Catholic schools across the country but I think that happened moreso in the last generation(s) than now.

I think they compete against each other less than some believe. I know Lehigh and Lafayette go head-2-head for recruits because of geography but that's about it. You don't see Bucknell, Holy Cross and/or Colgate show up THAT often on a LU recruits final list.

CFBfan
July 22nd, 2013, 01:17 PM
I think they compete against each other less than some believe. I know Lehigh and Lafayette go head-2-head for recruits because of geography but that's about it. You don't see Bucknell, Holy Cross and/or Colgate show up THAT often on a LU recruits final list.

then it's LU that recruits a different type of kid, not Colgate

Sader87
July 22nd, 2013, 01:28 PM
HC probably has a higher % of Catholic HS players (outside of maybe FU and GU...not sure) than the other "Core 5" of the PL.

A cursory glance at the 2013 roster has about a third or so coming from parochial high schools:

http://goholycross.com/sports/m-footbl/2013-14/roster

RichH2
July 22nd, 2013, 01:33 PM
Gate also has a Ol Siegel from Fla. Owl correct ,Andy targets recruits that either visit or indicate an interest in LU. We contact nationwide as we all must. Biddle and Susan take a shotgun approach with offers thrown out quickly around the country. Gilmore seems to be adopting similar approach. Which better? No idea. Proof in the pudding I guess. One salient fact so far is that there are fewer H2H s on recruits. Larger pool.

CFBfan
July 22nd, 2013, 01:37 PM
Gate also has a Ol Siegel from Fla. Owl correct ,Andy targets recruits that either visit or indicate an interest in LU. We contact nationwide as we all must. Biddle and Susan take a shotgun approach with offers thrown out quickly around the country. Gilmore seems to be adopting similar approach. Which better? No idea. Proof in the pudding I guess. One salient fact so far is that there are fewer H2H s on recruits. Larger pool.

Owl is NOT correct, Colgate does NOT recruit a different kid than the rest of the league, that was his original statement.
I will repeat that if anyone recruits differently it it LU, BUT does the way you recruit really translate to a different type of kid?

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 22nd, 2013, 01:38 PM
Owl is NOT correct, Colgate does NOT recruit a different kid than the rest of the league, that was his original statement.
I will repeat that if anyone recruits differently it it LU, BUT does the way you recruit really translate to a different type of kid?

xbangx

Franks Tanks
July 22nd, 2013, 01:42 PM
Different kids--- Yes
A different "type" of kid--- Not really sure

Colgate seems to have really focused on South Florida they last few years and have found some gems. Lafayette has recruited Florida and Georgia quite a bit for a decade, but we don't get as many kids from down South at Gate seems to. Gate also gets a good deal of Jersey and Eastern PA kids, who Lafayette and Lehigh also focus on.

Maybe is is fair to say that Gate has more recruits not offered by other PL schools, but there are still plenty head to head battles with Gate within the league IMO.

I any school seems to be off by itself in the PL I think it is Fordham. Maybe it is the slightly lower AI, or the lure of NYC, but I seems that Lafayette has had very few recruits who were also being recruited by Fordham over the years.

Sader87
July 22nd, 2013, 01:47 PM
Lehigh's roster this year: http://www.lehighsports.com/sports/football/rosters/

Quick thoughts: many more NJ and PA players and fewer Catholic HS kids than HC. I like the way their majors are listed here as well. One question, what is a Supply Chain Management major?

Lehigh Football Nation
July 22nd, 2013, 01:50 PM

I very, very much disagree with this. Lehigh and Colgate are often up against each other, for starters, and frankly all the PLs and Ivies are all after the top 5% academic kids anyway. I've seen lots of cross-interest in many recruits, Lehigh vs. Laf, Lehigh vs. Colgate, Lehigh vs. HC, etc.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 22nd, 2013, 01:53 PM
I very, very much disagree with this. Lehigh and Colgate are often up against each other, for starters, and frankly all the PLs and Ivies are all after the top 5% academic kids anyway. I've seen lots of cross-interest in many recruits, Lehigh vs. Laf, Lehigh vs. Colgate, Lehigh vs. HC, etc.

In the beginning or when it comes down to the final 2 or 3 schools? I never see many PL schools listed in the newspaper for a particular recruit. A typical Lehigh signed recruit usually has Lehigh, Lafayette, Brown, Bryant, CCSU and Akron listed (for example). Maybe I'm just reading different articles on signing day.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 22nd, 2013, 01:56 PM
In the beginning or when it comes down to the final 2 or 3 schools? I never see many PL schools listed in the newspaper for a particular recruit. A typical Lehigh signed recruit usually has Lehigh, Lafayette, Brown, CCSU and Akron listed. Maybe I'm just reading different articles on signing day.

I'm thinking Rivals, etc, as well as local paper accounts from some PL hotbeds like Florida, Ohio, etc. carney I think could shed some good light on this as well.

carney2
July 22nd, 2013, 02:08 PM
Thanks to Andy on the Lafayette board and a few other contributors I am getting the sense that there is some shooting for the stars in this year's Patriot League recruiting that was not apparent last year. Some of it, I'm guessing, is just getting a handle on this recruiting with scholarships thing, but I am encouraged that the sights are apparently being set higher. The first recruiting classes were, in my opinion, loaded with guys we could have gotten without scholarships.

RichH2
July 22nd, 2013, 02:08 PM

Disagree, not saying recruiting different kids just using different recruiting stategy. Do agree that strategy does not alter the types of kids PL signs at the end of the day. I do wonder what you mean that LU recruits different kids?

RichH2
July 22nd, 2013, 02:14 PM
As to the plethora of posts on who is going H2H and frequency thereof, I will go by what I see now. Very few when compared to prior yrs. Will that coalesce as we get to Oct thru Feb, maybe. My sense tho is that this year much different than last with a much broader throw by all. Local kids for LU and LC do tend to list both of us but there are fewer of them so far this yr. It will be interesting.

colorless raider
July 22nd, 2013, 03:24 PM
Thanks to Andy on the Lafayette board and a few other contributors I am getting the sense that there is some shooting for the stars in this year's Patriot League recruiting that was not apparent last year. Some of it, I'm guessing, is just getting a handle on this recruiting with scholarships thing, but I am encouraged that the sights are apparently being set higher. The first recruiting classes were, in my opinion, loaded with guys we could have gotten without scholarships.rade than last year.
ey, the recruits seem to be a better g

I agree with carney.

Go...gate
July 22nd, 2013, 03:46 PM
Ooops, owell

Agreed, just as every other coach at Colgate. Bob Cornell, the old SID, often said we are an athletic program with champagne tastes but a beer budget. But we make the most of what we have, that is for damned sure.

LUHawker
July 22nd, 2013, 05:19 PM
Agreed, just as every other coach at Colgate. Bob Cornell, the old SID, often said we are an athletic program with champagne tastes but a beer budget. But we make the most of what we have, that is for damned sure.

I think you guys are all sand-bagging us. More with less? Really? Biggest non-scholly FB spending in the PL. Great academic rep, beautiful campus and nice history (FB and otherwise) - and you're doing more with less. You guys are doing just fine - stop drinking your own Kool-Aid :D

RichH2
July 22nd, 2013, 05:51 PM
lol, I do agree Hawker, Gate does seem to poor mouth a bit as they spend more than everyone cept Fordham.

Engineer86
July 22nd, 2013, 08:06 PM
Lehigh's roster this year: http://www.lehighsports.com/sports/football/rosters/

Quick thoughts: many more NJ and PA players and fewer Catholic HS kids than HC. I like the way their majors are listed here as well. One question, what is a Supply Chain Management major?

It is part of the Industrial Engineering department

RichH2
July 22nd, 2013, 09:12 PM
Early returns seems LU concentrating early recruiting South and West. Perhaps more time to travel now. Andy did say a few yrs back that success had opened more doors locally for better players. Noted that Bball success has opened more doors nationally. Lehigh name more recognized. Bottomline , I guess will be how well each staff manages schollies and talent selection.
I wonder once HS season starts how many verbals will come in for any of us. Or will it be the same Dec thru Feb mad dash?

Go...gate
July 22nd, 2013, 09:45 PM
No question you fellows have a point when it comes to present spending level. But you can't say our FB facilities are anywhere near as nice as LC, LU and HC.

RichH2
July 22nd, 2013, 09:50 PM
Well they're pretty in Spring. Course snows rest of the yr up there lol. Agree tho doesn't seem to hinder recruiting. So you outspend us and get players, no sympathy for stadium.

Andy
July 30th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Lafayette 2014 verbal commitment list:

Beau Bosch QB/TE 6-5 210 Chestnut Ridge HS PA

Self tweeted 7/3

http://www.d6sportsnetwork.com/2013/07/19/summer-sit-downs-beau-bosch/

Jarred Fragapane FB/TE/LB/DE 6-4 225 North Catholic

Self tweeted 7/7

http://triblive.com/sports/hssports/football/4335786-74/cratsenberg-senior-state#axzz2aYmBpnxL

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2013/07/09/mr-high-school-sports-former-city-league-athlete-draws-local-attention/

Cam Smith OL/DL 6-5 292 Medway HS MA

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/hi...dl-cam-smith-commits-to-lafayette

Sader87
July 30th, 2013, 10:11 PM
Mike McCaffrey verbaled at HC recently....son of Jim McCaffrey a hoop HoFamer HC '86
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/high-school/post/_/id/25335/bbns-mike-mccaffrey-commits-to-holy-cross?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

ETA: Per a tweet, Jake Stewart LB 6'1" 200 St Thomas Aquinas HS (Ft Lauderdale, Fla) verbaled yesterday.

Sader87
August 13th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Per the twitter machine again, Jayke Simsheuser TE 6'4" 245 Rockhurst HS Kansas City, MO, has verbaled to HC....beat out some FBS schools for his services.