PDA

View Full Version : SHSU-SMU Game Thread

TexasTerror
September 10th, 2006, 07:49 PM
A thread for all the information, who, what, when, where and why of the Kats game this coming Saturday against the SMU Mustangs. As always, a lot of the information available in this post will be made available throughout the week from the releases to the teleconference audio...

Very curious game this week for the Kats. There are folks on the SMU fan board who are already throwing in the towel on this game and the rest of the season following SMU's dismal performance against North Texas, who a columnist felt was the most realistic team out of conference for SMU to beat in years.

Questions abound for the Kats. Wade Pate, the starting QB and Brandon Perry, a pivotal part of the recieving corp, both hurt their shoulders in the opening win over Arkansas-Monticello. Will they be able to play against SMU? If not, the Kats will look towards Philip Daughtery, now in his second year at Sam. Brett Hicks is the backup there. Perry being out is not as big a concern, but the Kats definitely have some WRs with speed. Always nice to keep some fresh legs available.

The Kats defense is not in question after the UAM game. Div II game or not, the Kats gave up 138 yards. The passing defense was great to the tune of the QBs from UAM throwing three of 16 passes for completions including two picks. Kats will have to pick up on the running attack. Okay, they gave up 85 yards, but we need something to improve on, right?

Andrew Audelin is looking to be the key. He's a Domanick Davis (when healthy)-like running back who can find the holes and can also catch out of the backfield. Six catches for just under 50 yards in addition to 14 carries for 58 yards. Seemed like he was getting quite a few pickups that would give the Kats second and short. To beat SMU, the Kats are going to need to get second and short and execute those first downs. Defense will more than likely hold it's own for most of the game, but the offense has to produce on first down.

I'm going with SHSU, but why wouldn't I? Thoughts from others?
---------
Sam Houston State Bearkats vs Southern Methodist University Mustangs
7 pm, Saturday, September 16th
Gerald J Ford Stadium, Dallas

Audio:
SHSU: http://www.tsrnsports.com/Broadcast/Broad-U-Sam-Houston.htm

GameTracker (scroll down to SHSU game)
SMU: http://smumustangs.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/sched/smu-m-footbl-sched.html

Game Release (when made available):
SHSU: http://bearkats.shsu.edu/pdf/fbrelease.pdf
SMU: http://www.fansonly.com/photos/schools/smu/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/weekly-release.pdf

Conference Notes (when made available):
C-USA: http://www.fansonly.com/photos/schools/c-usa/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/weekly-release.pdf
Southland: http://southland.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/soul-m-footbl-weekly-updates.html

Weekly Teleconference (when made available):
C-USA: http://conferenceusa.cstv.com/multimedia/footbl-teleconferences.html
Southland: http://southland.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/06-coaches-teleconference.html

Team Sites:
SHSU: http://bearkats.shsu.edu/football
SMU: http://smumustangs.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/smu-m-footbl-main.html

Fan Boards:
SHSU: http://www.katfans.com
SMU: http://www.ponyfans.com

Parking Information:
http://www.fansonly.com/photos/schools/smu/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/06-parking-info-packet.pdf

blackfordpu
September 10th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Little early for the thread isn't it TT?;) :)

I'm looking for the Kats to step up and get the upset over SMU.

Any word on it possibly being picked up for TV?

TexasTerror
September 10th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Little early for the thread isn't it TT?;) :)

Hey, we have a week's worth of articles that begin rolling out tommorrow. No reason for twenty different threads about one game! :)

Any word on it possibly being picked up for TV?

No chance...

kats89
September 11th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Wouldnt suggest going to ponyfans.com. bunch of azzes, unless you need some good laughs.xlolx :nod:

TexasTerror
September 13th, 2006, 08:12 PM
The SMU correspondent for the C-USA fan web site has the Kats winning. Interesting insight into the game on this one...

http://www.cusa-fans.com/football/cusa-football-preview/smu-shsu-preview.html

Final Prediction

So far in 2006, the talent level of SMU opponents has decreased each week - Texas Tech, UNT, and now, SHSU. The problem is - the Mustangs' performance level sinks each week, as well.

Saturday, SMU sinks lower than imaginable.

SHSU gets a win for the ages, 20-18.

(Take heart, Pony fans. I haven't been right yet.)

by Rick Atkinson -
CUSA-fans.com SMU Correspondent

blackfordpu
September 13th, 2006, 09:17 PM
The SMU correspondent for the C-USA fan web site has the Kats winning. Interesting insight into the game on this one...

http://www.cusa-fans.com/football/cusa-football-preview/smu-shsu-preview.html

Final Prediction

So far in 2006, the talent level of SMU opponents has decreased each week - Texas Tech, UNT, and now, SHSU. The problem is - the Mustangs' performance level sinks each week, as well.

Saturday, SMU sinks lower than imaginable.

SHSU gets a win for the ages, 20-18.

(Take heart, Pony fans. I haven't been right yet.)
by Rick Atkinson -
CUSA-fans.com SMU Correspondent

Lets hope the Kats prove him right this weekend!

TexasTerror
September 15th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Another game writeup, this time from CollegeFootballNews.com/Scout Network...

Sam Houston State (1-0) at SMU (0-2), 8:00 EST, Saturday, September 16th
Why to watch: All of the pre-season talk of SMU being one of this year’s mild surprises has been hogwash so far. Much like the past few years, the Mustangs are plagued by an inept offense and sporadic play at quarterback. As if nine points in two games isn’t bad enough, RB DeMyron Martin, easily the team’s offensive MVP, injured his foot in last week’s loss to North Texas, and is out 4 to 6 weeks. Unless SMU can cut down on unforced errors and breakdowns on special teams, they’re destined to be this week’s I-AA victim. Sam Houston State fattened up on the Boll Weevils of Arkansas-Monticello in its opener, and is considered a middle-of-the pack Southland Conference team. The most famous player on the Bearkat roster? That’d be former Oklahoma quarterback, who transferred after he was booted from the Sooners, and is waiting to be reinstated by the NCAA.
Sam Houston State might win: It isn’t going to take many points for Sam Houston to pull off this upset. SMU has scored one touchdown all year, and is averaging just 229 yards a game. Without Martin to rely on, inexperienced QB Justin Willis will be prone to the kind of bad reads and costly mistakes that change the tenor of a game.
Why Southern Methodist might win: Lost in the Mustangs’ 0-2 start has been the play of the defense, which has done all it can under difficult circumstances to keep games with Texas Tech and North Texas from really getting out of control. Linemen Adrian Haywood and Justin Rogers are NFL caliber, and S Joe Sturdivant is All-Conference USA material. Even if they have to shut Sam Houston out, the defense will do whatever’s necessary to pick up win No. 1.
Who to watch: Sam Houston WR Michael Malone, who’s considered a legit NFL prospect, opened his senior season with three touchdown catches from Wade Pate. If Malone takes over the game the way North Texas’ Johnny Quinn and Texas Tech’s Robert Johnson against the Mustangs the last two weeks, the Bearkats will leave Dallas 2-0.
What will happen: Desperate for a win, SMU will get a solid effort from its defense and just enough points on offense to avoid an embarrassing 0-3 start.
CFN Prediction: SMU 27 ... Sam Houston Stat 10 ... Line: No Line
Must See Rating: (5 skip the birth of your first born - 1 Dancing with the Stars) ... 1

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=47&p=2&c=568505

Cat79
September 15th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Wouldnt suggest going to ponyfans.com. bunch of azzes, unless you need some good laughs.xlolx :nod:

Kats89,

I totally agree with you about these primadona Ponyfans. I tried to talk to their arrogant fans when it was announced that we were in talks with SMU about a game in the Dallas Morning News.:mad:

I hope you guys take them downtown, Kats 31 MylittlePony 3:hurray:

kats89
September 15th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Kats89,

I totally agree with you about these primadona Ponyfans. I tried to talk to their arrogant fans when it was announced that we were in talks with SMU about a game in the Dallas Morning News.:mad:

I hope you guys take them downtown, Kats 31 MylittlePony 3:hurray:

I never thought I would say that there was someone worse than UH fans.

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 08:30 AM
Some reads on the game from Dallas...
-------------
SMU needs a win Saturday
08:03 PM CDT on Friday, September 15, 2006

SMU plays its most important football game Saturday since 1997.

In that season finale, SMU threw away a potential bowl trip with a loss to a bad TCU team. There is more at stake today, when the Mustangs face Sam Houston State at Gerald J. Ford Stadium.

Lose this one, and the program retreats so far back into the dark ages, it might never re-emerge.

Lose this one, and SMU is a crushed 0-3 team. Lose this one, and real-estate agents will start calling coach Phil Bennett.

SMU should handle Sam Houston because a Division I-A team must beat a Division I-AA team that went 3-7 last season. There are no givens for the Mustangs, though. They should have won against North Texas last weekend on the basis of better talent but were outplayed in a 24-6 loss.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/gfraley/stories/091606dnspofraley.26774be.html
---------
SMU needs 'A' game against I-AA foe

08:03 PM CDT on Friday, September 15, 2006

By CALVIN WATKINS / The Dallas Morning News

UNIVERSITY PARK – SMU coach Phil Bennett said Division I-AA teams are dangerous.

If you don't believe it, check out the first two weeks of the season. Northwestern, Colorado, Duke and New Mexico all lost to I-AA schools.

And there were one-point victories by Kansas State over Illinois State and Navy over Massachusetts.

New Hampshire's 34-17 win over Northwestern elevated it to No. 1 in the I-AA poll.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/smu/stories/091606dnsposmulede.221f321.html
----------------
What's on the line

SMU – It is trying to avoid a 0-3 start.

SHS – It is trying to beat a I-A team for the first time since 2001 when it beat Louisiana-Monroe, 20-9.

Who's hot

SMU – FS Randall Goode leads the team with 18 tackles.

SHS – WR Michael Malone caught six passes for 99 yards with three TDs in the opener.

Who's hot

SMU – The Mustangs average 4.5 points a game.

SHS – The record against I-A opponents its very good. The Bearkats are 2-18 lifetime against such teams with its last win coming in 2001.

Stat that tells the story

If SMU loses, it will have gone 14 seasons without having a winning record in September.

Key matchup

SMU's receivers vs. SHS cornerbacks: The Bearkats like to blitz, putting their cornerbacks in plenty of man-to-man coverage. This is a chance for SMU receivers to have big games with deep balls.

SMU wins if ...

It can score some points. Replacements for RB DeMyron Martin (foot) must press the defense down the field.

SHS wins if ...

QB Phillip Daugherty can have a big day passing.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/smu/stories/091606dnsposmusamhoustcap.24497fe.html

blackfordpu
September 16th, 2006, 11:26 AM
This is a link to ESPN.com comparison of the teams. Looking good for the Kats!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/preview?gameId=262592567&confId=30

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 11:30 AM
This is a link to ESPN.com comparison of the teams. Looking good for the Kats!

Check out the NCAA I-AA leaders. Kats look very good right now, but keep in mind we've played a Div II school. It's a grain of salt though it does look good...

As the Dallas Morning News said, it comes down to the SHSU secondary and the SMU WRs. The Kats secondary was sensational against UAM and we knew they'd be good. How good are they? We'll know for sure after this game against the I-AA SMU Mustangs... :hurray:

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 06:51 PM
We're on the pregame show...

Kooter is talking with Coach Whitten about playing up. Whitten got a Div I-AA win under his cap while a Div II coach. Whitten knows all about SHSU picking up some I-A wins. Time to see what happens this go around...

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 07:08 PM
SHSU kicks off to SMU...

Mustangs touchback, will start at the SMU20...

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 07:12 PM
SMU picks up 16 on 1st and 10 from SMU 20...

No huddle offense...

SMU picks up four yards, 2nd and 6...Patrick Robinson with the tackle...

No huddle again...

QB keeper...stuffed at the line. 3rd and 6...first opprotunity for Kats' defense to make a stand...

SMU decides to throw, complete...first down...SMU46

SMU to the 50 yd line on a run, 2nd and 6...

SMU throws, hits a wide open WR to the SH38...1st down...

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 07:15 PM
TD SMU...unofficial score update coming soon...

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Unofficial Scoring Summary

First quarter
SMU: Willis 37 yd pass to Givens (Morstead kick), 12:21 - SMU 7-0 SHSU

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Sam throws incomplete on first down from the SH25...

Sack pushes SHSU to the SH19...3rd and 16...

Pressure comes, Daughtery is picked off at the SH29...

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Five yard pick up on first down...

No huddle...2nd and 5...down to the SH21 on a run...3rd and 2...

Big hole to run, SMU to the SH15...

No huddle...SMU gets three yards on another run...2nd and 7...

TOUCHDOWN SMU...11 yard pass to Pellerin...

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Sam Houston St @ Southern Methodist University

First quarter
SMU: Willis 11 yd pass to Pellerin (Morstead kick), 8:41 - SMU 14-0 SHSU

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Kats start with 1st and 10 from the SH15...

Daughtery pass to Malone tipped...2nd and 10...

Play busted...Daughtery stopped at the line...3rd and 10...

Daughtery hits Martin for a BEARKAT FIRST DOWN...Kats at the SH28...

Daughtery hits Malone to the SH36...eight yards...2nd and 2...

Kats have yet to hand it off to Audelin...

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Kats listen to my advice to Audelin...Kats to SM48...the Kats are moving! About a 15, 16 yard run...6:11 first quarter...

Daughtery hits Martin again, this time to the SM41...seven yard pickup!

Daughtery hits Houston for another first down! Houston, the Texas Tech transfer finds the ball from another former Red Raider...Kats to the SM31...

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Daughtery loses yardage on first down, Audelin gets nowhere on second down...Daughtery can't find Martin on third down...

4th and 14...Daughtery gets away from the sack, the Kats offense falls apart, SMU takes over on downs...

SMU in their own territory...from the SM40...

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 07:39 PM
SMU gets into SHSU territory...

1st and 15 after a penalty from the SH48...

Kats supply a major hit...SMU loses a few yards...2nd and 17...

It's now 3rd and 12...after a short pickup...from SH45...

Willis is sacked by ED JACKSON!

SMU will punt when we return in the 2nd quarter...

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Kats' ball at the SH20...

Daughtery picks up nine yards on a pass to Christian...2nd and short...

Incomplete pass on 2nd...PD finds Audelin for a 10 yard pass...1st down Bearkats!

PD hits Malone to the SH40! Kats continue moving foward...

PD gets an acrobatic catch to Martin, I believe his third catch on the night, TIMEOUT BEARKATS...

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 07:48 PM
PD hits Perry who gets no gain on the pass...

Curtis Parks is going to have to punt this one away...punt is blocked and SMU gets the ball at the SH48...

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 07:50 PM
SMU with a 14 yd pickup on 1st and 10...SH34...

SMU gets four more yards on a run...SH30...2nd and 6...

SMU TOUCHDOWN...check that, they are reviewing it...would be 3rd and 6 if turned over...

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 07:56 PM

First Quarter

Second Quarter
SMU: Willis 31 yd pass to Sanders (Morstead kick), 10:55 SMU 21-0 SHSU

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 07:58 PM
One turnover and a punt blocked...story of the game...SMU is using no-huddle offense effectively as well...

1st and 10 from the SH20...pass for a gain of one, PD to Houston...

2nd and 9...SHSU intercepted...make that two turnovers...

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Make that 28-0...

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Two INTs, a blocked punt...

First Quarter

Second Quarter
SMU: Willis 14 yd pass to Kennedy (Morestead kick), 8:55 SMU 28-0 SHSU

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Kats are into SMU territory...

Blake Martin seems to be a bright spot for the Kats...SM43...1st down...

Malone to the SM38...2nd and 5...

PD to Christian...first down...SM28...

Audelin making some moves (ABOUT TIME THEY WENT BACK TO AUDELIN!)...SM13...

TE screen, still at the line...2nd and 10...

PD hits Audelin, still at the line...3rd and 10...

Fumble...Kats recover at the SM21...

36 yard field goal attempt...Pearcy kick...no good

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 08:16 PM
3rd and 12...Kats hoping to stand up on defense...

Willis throws long...to the SH02...62 yard pass...

Incomplete on 1st & Goal...

Willis, two yard run...TOUCHDOWN SMU

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 08:18 PM

First Quarter

Second Quarter
SMU: Willis 2 yd run (Morestead kick), 1:43 SMU 35-0

blackfordpu
September 16th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Not what I wanted to see when I got home from a long day at work.:bang:

blackfordpu
September 16th, 2006, 08:20 PM
WAKE UP KATS, THIS IS FREAKING STUPID!

What is wrong with PD? What is wrong with our team? 35- freaking 0 before halftime. TW really seems to have screwed the pooch on this one.

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 08:22 PM
WAKE UP KATS, THIS IS FREAKING STUPID!

What is wrong with PD? What is wrong with our team? 35- freaking 0 before halftime. TW really seems to have screwed the pooch on this one.

Two interceptions, a punt blocked and an awful fumble on a huge down...

Seems Whitten never gave the run a chance early and it's all pass, all the time...

Defense has not had a break because of the offensive mishaps...

blackfordpu
September 16th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Any insight as to why he hasn't established the run?

I wonder what he is saying in the locker room?
TW: "Its ok guys, we were supposed to lose this game. Just keep playing and we'll eventually get out of here, no harm no foul."

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Any insight as to why he hasn't established the run?

Not sure why he never went to the run...would've kept the defense on the sideline longer...

You listening to the SLC Commish talking as the halftime guest of Kooter and Leroy?

blackfordpu
September 16th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Yea but the audio tonight is pretty crappy. Not the easiest thing to listen to.

Just talking about how to improve the SLC.

lassic
September 16th, 2006, 08:35 PM
you think this ugly
100 points is looming in the future

blackfordpu
September 16th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Looking at AA's rushing stats they need to start handing the ball off to him!

attempts yards avg TD Long
Andrew Audelin 8 46 5.8 0 15

PD isn't having a bad percentage night but those two int's are killers!
Phillip Daugherty 16/22 111 5.0 0 2

Need to get Malone involved. He hasn't caught one pass.

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 08:36 PM
you think this ugly

I'm assuming your referring to the Texas game...:read:

You know anything about Mack Brown? :eyebrow:

Apparently not...:nonono2:

blackfordpu
September 16th, 2006, 08:37 PM
you think this ugly

Na, if they continue on the current path it will just be 70. Not that 100 could be more embarressing. 70 or 100 are equally bad when SMU is doing it to you.

blackfordpu
September 16th, 2006, 08:38 PM
I wonder if they are going to give Hicks a shot now and just mail it in or if TW will come out fighting in the second half.

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 08:40 PM
I wonder if they are going to give Hicks a shot now and just mail it in or if TW will come out fighting in the second half.

SHSU gets the ball to start off the half...

You'd hope they'd come out fighting and atleast make it respectable...:bang:

blackfordpu
September 16th, 2006, 08:44 PM
SHSU gets the ball to start off the half...

You'd hope they'd come out fighting and atleast make it respectable...:bang:

You reading katfans right not too? DH is definetly not happy. None of us should be, this is embarressing!

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 08:45 PM
KatFans has given me problems lately...sometimes have to reload several times to get things rolling...

Hicks is in as is DD Terry, Kats are mixing it up...

Hicks has never thrown an incomplete pass in his career. I think he's 16/16 now...

blackfordpu
September 16th, 2006, 08:46 PM
KatFans has given me problems lately...sometimes have to reload several times to get things rolling...
Hicks is in as is DD Terry, Kats are mixing it up...

Hicks has never thrown an incomplete pass in his career. I think he's 16/16 now...

You too? Glad it isn't just me.

Hicks is supposidly a good QB. I guess we'll finally see.

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 08:47 PM
13/14 and 196 yards by Willis in the first half...

Guess our secondary is not all we thought it was...then again, the offense is not really taking time off the clock...not much you can do about that if your on the defensive side of things...

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 08:48 PM
SHSU gets a break and recovers an SMU fumble...about freakin' time!

Check that, looks like they are going to review it...

blackfordpu
September 16th, 2006, 08:49 PM
13/14 and 196 yards by Willis in the first half...

Guess our secondary is not all we thought it was...then again, the offense is not really taking time off the clock...not much you can do about that if your on the defensive side of things...

Taking predictions on the excuses that TW will throw out there in the wake of this horrible performance.

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Wonderful...

We're treated to Kooter and Leroy discussing instant replay in football...

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 08:56 PM
SMU ball...

I hope the Mustangs beat all the turnovers out of us so we can take on Missouri St next week...and actually compete against the Bears...

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 08:59 PM
4th and 2...and the Mustangs are going for it...

First down for the Mustangs and they get within five yards of the red zone...

blackfordpu
September 16th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Are we even going to FU**ING SCORE?!?!

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 09:00 PM

First Quarter

Second Quarter
SMU: Willis 2 yd run (Morestead kick), 1:43 SMU 35-0 SHSU

Third Quarter
SMU: Willis 25 yard pass to Dorsey (Morestead kick), 8:25 SMU 42-0 SHSU

blackfordpu
September 16th, 2006, 09:03 PM

First Quarter

Second Quarter

Third Quarter

Please TT, just stop posting these. Let people work to see how bad we are getting/got our asses kicked. Don't just offer it up. :bawling:

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Derrick Harris is reportedly hurt...

My GF says I should stop listening to this game, that I've taken too much tonight...waiting for dinner to arrive (we ordered delivery) and I think I'll call it a night...

blackfordpu
September 16th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Derrick Harris is reportedly hurt...

My GF says I should stop listening to this game, that I've taken too much tonight...waiting for dinner to arrive (we ordered delivery) and I think I'll call it a night...

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. Have a good dinner.

bfp out!

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 09:09 PM
My audio just cut out anyway...not like it didn't sound awful as is...

We'll discuss this later...

Thanks to those who followed the Kats game against SMU...we'll try this again next week against Missouri St...

Ronbo
September 16th, 2006, 09:10 PM

First Quarter

Second Quarter

Third Quarter

Are you guys using DB's??? LOL

lassic
September 16th, 2006, 09:12 PM
thanks TT

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Are you guys using DB's??? LOL

It's all turnovers and a blocked punt to boot...defense never got a chance and I'm still confused why we relied so heavily on the pass. Where was the run?

Our DBs were sensational against Div II Arkansas-Monticello and should be very solid against I-AA competition...we'll see what the Missouri St game brings. A long bus ride...but what else?

Catmendue2
September 16th, 2006, 09:27 PM
xlolx TT Grambling didn't lose that bad in Houston.:smiley_wi

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 09:29 PM
xlolx TT Grambling didn't lose that bad in Houston.:smiley_wi

42-7 right now...SHSU scored! On a rushing touchdown...Kats are looking good on the run...

Hey, atleast we got a 'W' on the board...what's Grambling, 0-3? You guys thankful SU lost to PVA&M? Your still in the SWAC race now... xlolx

Catmendue2
September 16th, 2006, 09:38 PM
42-7 right now...SHSU scored! On a rushing touchdown...Kats are looking good on the run...

Hey, atleast we got a 'W' on the board...what's Grambling, 0-3? You guys thankful SU lost to PVA&M? Your still in the SWAC race now... xlolx

Yeah but we found Bruce's replacement and rest gonna be history.

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 09:41 PM

Who is that? Kerrigan, right? You guys have the best WRs in the country, atleast as far as tandems go. David Ball is still king in this book...

On that note, we found Long's replacement two years later. Rhett Bomar! :)

Question is, when does he find the field of play?

SMU 45-7 SHSU right now...

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 09:47 PM
How frustrating is it that the running game is looking sharp in the second half? DD Terry just broke free for 23 yards...argh!

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Goodness!

Kats' second-teamers looking good...

TOUCHDOWN SHSU!

45-14...doesn't seem as bad...

Retro
September 16th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Goodness!

Kats' second-teamers looking good...

TOUCHDOWN SHSU!

45-14...doesn't seem as bad...

It does when you consider it's SMU (Without Eric Dickerson and Craig James). What the hell happened.. I really thought you guys would give them a game.

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 10:01 PM
It does when you consider it's SMU (Without Eric Dickerson and Craig James). What the hell happened.. I really thought you guys would give them a game.

We'll just have to wait and see what the coach says after the game...

Lots of perplexed Bearkat fans right now...

SHSU just stopped SMU on 4th and short...they'll get the ball to end the game and possibly add another score to the scoreboard...though doubtful, looks as if the Kats are going to run it out...

Retro
September 16th, 2006, 10:04 PM

You were down 35 - 7 at halftime and then 42 - 7.. After that Houston emptied the bench... The history wil be rough 2006 for the ICON!:(

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 10:06 PM
You were down 35 - 7 at halftime and then 42 - 7.. After that Houston emptied the bench... The history wil be rough 2006 for the ICON!:(

It'll be a cold day in Grambling and in Baton Rouge when and if Prairie View A&M or Texas Southern somehow end up winning the SWAC West over the G-Men and Jags...

SMU 45-14 SHSU, FINAL

blackfordpu
September 16th, 2006, 10:56 PM
It'll be a cold day in Grambling and in Baton Rouge when and if Prairie View A&M or Texas Southern somehow end up winning the SWAC West over the G-Men and Jags...

SMU 45-14 SHSU, FINAL

Freaking rediculous!

I am speechless...:bang: :nonono2:

Catmendue2
September 17th, 2006, 01:19 AM

Houston play starters on defense the entire game. Houston annoucers made that plain for everybody to hear. Their HIESMAN QB was still in, in the fourth quarter as well.

You won't find stats for anybody except starters in Houston Box scores. Grambling ran players in and out from the first quarter on. We were beaten and Houston was decent, with out Kolb Grambling beats Houston. We will play them again maybe next year without Kolb the story will change.

Actually the contract just needs to be signed, the deal was worked out prior to playing this game in advance.

Catmendue2
September 17th, 2006, 01:26 AM

SMU 45-14 SHSU, FINAL

Grambling still gonna win the SWAC hands down. Count on it.:smiley_wi

Catmendue2
September 17th, 2006, 01:31 AM

You better worry about Mcneese the Southland ain't all that this year either.;)

TexasTerror
September 17th, 2006, 07:40 AM
Game Recap from the Huntsville Item...simply put, it was the turnovers that beat the Kats...Brett Hicks is set to start for the Kats next week, the third starter in three weeks...with Bomar around, he could potentially become the starter, the fourth starter for the Kats this year...yikes!

So much for that upset

SMU unleashes aerial assault in 45-14 beating of Bearkats
By Cody Stark
Assistant Sports Editor

DALLAS — What could have been the night the Bearkats turned the corner quickly became a flashback to the nightmare that was last season.

It wasn’t about upsetting a Division I-A opponent. It was really about proving the Bearkats had learned from last season’s miserable 0-6 record on the road.

Turnovers — 18, in fact — were the reason the losing streak started in the first place, and Saturday night, turnovers were the reason that string now has reached seven.

Starting in the place of injured quarterback Wade Pate, Phillip Daugherty threw two interceptions in the first half that led to a pair of scores, and SMU blocked a punt to set up another touchdown en route to an easy 45-14 victory at Gerald J. Ford Stadium.

http://www.itemonline.com/sports/local_story_260021020.html

blackfordpu
September 17th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Game Recap from the Huntsville Item...simply put, it was the turnovers that beat the Kats...Brett Hicks is set to start for the Kats next week, the third starter in three weeks...with Bomar around, he could potentially become the starter, the fourth starter for the Kats this year...yikes!

So much for that upset

SMU unleashes aerial assault in 45-14 beating of Bearkats
By Cody Stark
Assistant Sports Editor

DALLAS — What could have been the night the Bearkats turned the corner quickly became a flashback to the nightmare that was last season.

It wasn’t about upsetting a Division I-A opponent. It was really about proving the Bearkats had learned from last season’s miserable 0-6 record on the road.

Turnovers — 18, in fact — were the reason the losing streak started in the first place, and Saturday night, turnovers were the reason that string now has reached seven.

Starting in the place of injured quarterback Wade Pate, Phillip Daugherty threw two interceptions in the first half that led to a pair of scores, and SMU blocked a punt to set up another touchdown en route to an easy 45-14 victory at Gerald J. Ford Stadium.

http://www.itemonline.com/sports/local_story_260021020.html

What kind of coach says things like this?
“It was disappointing, we are a little better than that,” Bearkats coach Todd Whitten said. HELLO, if we want to contend for a title we better be a hell of a lot better than that!

“I thought we had the effort, we just need to make better decisions.” WHAT EFFORT? We got killed by a horrible I-A team and we try to say we are an upper class I-AA team. Get a clue TW!

McNeese75
September 17th, 2006, 11:12 AM
You better worry about Mcneese the Southland ain't all that this year either.;)

The SLC is looking a little weak this year but a whole lot better than the SWAC :nod: