PDA

View Full Version : If Central Connecticut goes undefeated...

Tim James
September 10th, 2006, 04:56 PM
do you think they should and will get a playoff bid ? If you're a team from a non scholly 1-AA conference, and you can beat Georgia Southern on the road, then theres no reason why you shouldnt be able to run the table against your other much weaker opponents.

griz37
September 10th, 2006, 04:59 PM
It all depends on what GSU does. If they go out & win the So-Con the victory is really impressive. But if they wind up 4-7, its a lot impressive. As Coastal can atest, the Devils better go out & win all their games before they worry about the post season.

September 10th, 2006, 05:02 PM
... If you're a team from a non scholly 1-AA conference...but CCSU plays in the NEC, a I-AA scholly conference.

Go...gate
September 10th, 2006, 06:00 PM
At least as of now, though, they are a I-AA "limited" scholarship conferemce.

UAalum72
September 10th, 2006, 07:04 PM
But if CCSU loses to Albany, who beat Lehigh, another top team in an auto-bid conference....

the penalty of not having an auto-bid but two or more strong teams in your conference. No auto-bid conference is required to have an undefeated champion, only a champion.

chattanoogamocs
September 10th, 2006, 07:31 PM
theres no reason why you shouldnt be able to run the table against your other much weaker opponents.

I would also assume that most people at Montana State figured that if they can beat Colorado...that surely they could also beat Chadron State. Supposedly weaker opponents step up and bite teams on the ass all the time...that is why we say..."Any Given Saturday"

;)

swaghook
September 10th, 2006, 08:06 PM
The second week of the season is not the time to get your hopes up for a play off bid.

Golden Eagle
September 10th, 2006, 08:11 PM
The second week of the season is not the time to get your hopes up for a play off bid.

Ding ding ding.

September 11th, 2006, 02:55 AM
At least as of now, though, they are a I-AA "limited" scholarship conferemce.Yep, not a non-scholly conference. In I-AA there are only two non-money conferences for football student-athletes... the PFL and the MAAC. The rest are either grants-in-aid or scholarship conferences.

JALMOND
September 11th, 2006, 03:21 AM
do you think they should and will get a playoff bid ? If you're a team from a non scholly 1-AA conference, and you can beat Georgia Southern on the road, then theres no reason why you shouldnt be able to run the table against your other much weaker opponents.

Depends on what the at-large possibilities from the stronger conferences do. Teams that schedule I-A (and can beat them), should receive more consideration than those that are forced to play the Newberry's of the world. If GSU were to win the SoCon, you would have a case. But, if GSU is down this year, why should you receive a bid over a Richmond or New Hampshire from the A-10 or Montana State or Portland State from the Big Sky?

Keeper
September 11th, 2006, 03:43 AM
Seems to me that CC best hopes for undefeated AND
Top 16 ranking in the various polls. What is the highest
ranking Duquense or Monmouth achieved for all I-AA?

colgate13
September 11th, 2006, 06:24 AM
it's a long season, but IMHO an 11-0 CCSU gets an at-large. What more can you ask of a program??????

AppGuy04
September 11th, 2006, 07:58 AM
If they go undefeated, I say yes.

henfan
September 11th, 2006, 08:02 AM
it's a long season, but IMHO an 11-0 CCSU gets an at-large. What more can you ask of a program??????

I'd agree. Going undefeated may not even be necessary, depending on what else happens.

rokamortis
September 11th, 2006, 08:06 AM
But going undefeated or even sweeping the conference isn't easy when you are the top team. Every other team is gunning for you. Ask Coastal how it feels to be the team to beat in your conference.

Eaglegus2
September 11th, 2006, 08:07 AM
Central Conn came into Paulson and played like a winner that they were.

I would recommend that CCSU play one game at a time. Don't worry about games down the road or the seasons end.

The most important game of the year is your next game.

Where have I heard that from?:rolleyes: Erkism!!!!

Win your games and let the chips fall where they may.

aceinthehole
September 11th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Way too long of a season to even be thinking playoffs!!!!

We have a short week to prepare for a historical rival on the road Friday night. We travel to New Haven to face Southern Connecticut State . Southern owns the serise led over Central 35 to 15 (last played in 1999), and was a D-II playoff team last season. We have to play one game at a time.

We will also have to face a very good Albany and Monmouth (on FSN-NY) on the road, and close the season hosting Stony Brook. Its a long season, and that's the last thing on our minds right now.

-----
That being said, I will be very dissapointed if we don't place in the I-AA top 25 poll this week! We beat a #13 seed pretty good. GSU may have been overrated, but they were still a top-25 team. Also, this is the second win in 2 years vs. the I-AA establishment. Colagte finished last year in the top-25 (although they weren't ranked when they lost to CCSU). I'd hope the coaches poll would have CCSU around #23 or so.

rokamortis
September 11th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Ace - you just have to remember that breaking into the establishment isn't easy. One win over GSU may not be enough to get you in this week, but keep showing well and they'll have to include you soon.

Fordham
September 11th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Man, I would hope they would. I think everyone's line to "mid-major" schools/conferences (emphasis on the quotations around mid-major there) is that if they want to be in the playoffs they need to schedule tough teams and beat them. Well they've delivered on that already by week 2 of the season and imo the biggest challenge any of them have is that they've all seemed to have raised the level of play enough that getting through their own league schedule undefeated is as much of a challenge as proving they can beat auto-bid conference teams.

Keep in mind that Monmouth is also undefeated right now, having knocked off us and Morgan St. I don't think either win has the cache of anything approaching knocking off Georgia Southern but if they're able to run the table and knock off Albany and CCSU, shouldn't they be considered for a slot?

The Albany - Delaware result is going to be very interesting, particularly since there's no way you can argue that they're going to sneak up on anyone. Delaware will not be overlooking them at all, so you'll get to see a team playing at their best (or at least not overlooking them) against one of the better NEC schools. It'll be interesting to see the result.

Kudos to the NEC schools and thank God that you guys from other conferences are starting to see what the PL has learned the hard way these past two years. These guys can play football.

Pard4Life
September 11th, 2006, 09:37 AM
CCSU still has a long way to go... they were not even picked to be at the top of the conference in the I-AA preview magazine. Stony Brook, Monmouth, and Albany will be very difficult games. Those teams have already played in and won some big games, so they will not be intimidated by a gaudy CCSU record for sure.

If CCSU and the other NEC teams beat on each other, it will be hard for them to get in at-large. But if Monmouth, CCSU, or Albany run the table, it would be hard to exclude them... if there are no power conference teams with admirable 8-3, 9-2 marks.

danefan
September 11th, 2006, 09:40 AM
The playoff talk is a moot point regardless of how the NEC teams do!

The team who wins the NEC has a contractual obligation to play the winner of the PFL in the Gridiron Classic!!!!!!!!!!!!

No matter what happens, if the NEC winner gets an at-large they cannot accept it.
Thats why I was against the Gridiron Classic as its set up in its current form!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

see:
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9682

See the Asbury Park's sports writer's Blog explaining an email response from the NEC regarding this:
http://grahamman.blogspot.com/

GannonFan
September 11th, 2006, 09:42 AM
I'd have to consider Cent Connecticut's chances for the playoffs weak even if they go undefeated. The schedule is just not a tough one - OOC games, games you control who you play, consist of Georgia Southern (a very good opponent), but then a bunch of nothing. Southern Connecticut St is a DII that up until last year had never made the DII playoffs (and was still a first round loser last year), and then Marist and St. Peters are two non-scholly, non-money teams from the MAAC, and St. Peters is terrible even at that level. That's one quality OOC game for Central Connecticut St - you could make an argument very credibly that last year's schedule was better than this one when they had Colgate and URI on the schedule. If Georgia Southern just ends up being a middle of the pack team in the SoCon, then even that win will be lessened in terms of importance. I think Central Connecticut is good (I have them #24 in my poll), but they've done themselves no favors with regards to the playoffs by playing such a mediocre schedule.

aceinthehole
September 11th, 2006, 09:48 AM
The playoff talk is a moot point regardless of how the NEC teams do!

The team who wins the NEC has a contractual obligation to play the winner of the PFL in the Gridiron Classic!!!!!!!!!!!!

No matter what happens, if the NEC winner gets an at-large they cannot accept it.
Thats why I was against the Gridiron Classic as its set up in its current form!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dane - I've read the same thing. And that is something I think Ralph mentioned when this ws announced. The NEC champ hosts the Classic this year.

:twocents:
HOWEVER, (in the crazy case) if CCSU were to go undefeated, I would hope we would break any contractal obligations to the Gridiron Classic to take a spot in the I-AA playoffs. Yes, I'm sure there would be a penalty, but it would be well worth it IMO. As we both know SBU broke its contract with the NEC to go Independent next year. Contracts are broken all the time (and penalties are paid).

(Again, I'm not worried or considering the playoffs until the season is complete. There is too much work to be done. One game at a time)

danefan
September 11th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Dane - I've read the same thing. And that is something I think Ralph mentioned when this ws announced. The NEC champ hosts the Classic this year.

:twocents:
HOWEVER, (in the crazy case) if CCSU were to go undefeated, I would hope we would break any contractal obligations to the Gridiron Classic to take a spot in the I-AA playoffs. Yes, I'm sure there would be a penalty, but it would be well worth it IMO. As we both know SBU broke its contract with the NEC to go Independent next year. Contracts are broken all the time (and penalties are paid).

(Again, I'm not worried or considering the playoffs until the season is complete. There is too much work to be done. One game at a time)

I would hope they would break it to...but I have a funny feeling the good ole' boy network who picks the at-large bids will take this into consideration (non-publically of course) and use it against any NEC team.
Just not a good situation.

September 11th, 2006, 10:25 AM
I thought the PFL commish said there was no "out" in the Gridiron Classic contract?

Dane96
September 11th, 2006, 10:28 AM
I would hope they would break it to...but I have a funny feeling the good ole' boy network who picks the at-large bids will take this into consideration (non-publically of course) and use it against any NEC team.
Just not a good situation.

DING DING...we have a winner. My little brethern of lawyers know the breaking of contractual obligations all too well. ALL CONTRACTS CAN BE BROKEN.

Dane hits it on the head though...it is the perfect excuse to keep an NEC team out.

That being said, I just wish that CCSU had one more team on the schedule that had some teeth (an Ivy or a PL) so they could make a stronger argument.

Additionally, I wonder what would be the thoughts (and I am not convinced this can be done) if UA:

lost to Delaware (not a bad loss)

lost to Fordham (I am convinced there D is fantastic)

beat CCSU (significant win...and by no means am I saying we will)

beat SBU (giving tough games to A-Ten and PL teams)

beat Monmouth (racked up a win versus a scholly team, albeit not a great one)

beat Cornell (mid-pack Ivy)

and of course beat the other NEC teams.

Would this 9-2 team get in (forgetting the obligation for a moment)?

That being said, I dont think anyone is going through the NEC undefeated...in fact, I forsee co-champs of Albany and CCSU, with Monmouth coming in a close third. I see a 5-2 record winning the NEC.

Dane96
September 11th, 2006, 10:30 AM
I thought the PFL commish said there was no "out" in the Gridiron Classic contract?

I am guessing she didn't go to law school. THERE IS ALWAYS AN OUT...you may just have to pay, and to be frank, I dont think the PFL would stop a NEC team from sending a rep to the playoffs because it would be good for the PFL as well; while we all know that the NEC is not like the PFL anymore (true non-scholly), we are still perceived to be associated that way this year and that pub coming with and NEC team going to the playoffs would indirectly help the PFL (recruiting, advertising, etc.)

aceinthehole
September 11th, 2006, 10:42 AM
I am guessing she didn't go to law school. THERE IS ALWAYS AN OUT...you may just have to pay, and to be frank, I dont think the PFL would stop a NEC team from sending a rep to the playoffs because it would be good for the PFL as well; while we all know that the NEC is not like the PFL anymore (true non-scholly), we are still perceived to be associated that way this year and that pub coming with and NEC team going to the playoffs would indirectly help the PFL (recruiting, advertising, etc.)

Right, any contract can be broken. The question is what will it cost us in terms of $$$ and public relations.

(Please let's kill this thread ... its too long of a season, too much can happen to us and the "projected playoff field" in the next 9 weeks. One week does not make a season.)

faxjusfax
September 11th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Seems to me that CC best hopes for undefeated AND
Top 16 ranking in the various polls. What is the highest
ranking Duquense or Monmouth achieved for all I-AA?

From memory (not the best source), Duquesne came in at #25 in 2000.

I don't believe Monmouth was ever ranked.

PaladinFan
September 11th, 2006, 11:41 AM
IMO, a perfect record doesn't necessairly earn you respect for a playoff spot. Look at Hampton last year, they were perfect and made about as much noise in the playoffs as a quiet cough.

I don't think that an 11-0 NEC team gets a bid over a 8-3 or so team from one of the stronger conferences on the mere fact that those teams play much tougher competition week in and week out.

Dane96
September 11th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Good lord...this is EXACTLY WHY THE NEC IS FIGHTING TO GET AN AUTOBID (because as it stands WE WILL NEVER GET IN IF PEOPLE LIKE YOU ARE ON THE BOARD.)

If CCSU wins out, they would have played a decent, but not great schedule, deserving of a bid.

If Albany, for example, went bonkers and went 10-1, with the only hiccup being Fordham, are you telling me a team that would (in this hypothetcial) beat CORNELL, LEHIGH, DELAWARE, SBU, CCSU, and MONMOUTH (with their respective wins), would be less deserving than a team that goes 8-3 in an autobid conference.

COME ON NOW.....

Husky Alum
September 11th, 2006, 12:06 PM
One inane little point people are forgetting here - why did CCSU play GSU in the first place??

Because Northeastern (who was scheduled to go down there and play) opted out of the return of a home and home (for various reasons that have been posted on this board) and found GSU an "acceptable" replacement (GSU had to "approve" NU's replacement).

Not sure if that's been posted here before, but that's the history of the CCSU appearance down in Statesboro.

aceinthehole
September 11th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Husky fan - you're right I almost forgot that. CCSU usually schedules "up" a game or two each year, but it has only been to teams in the Northeast.

Also, URI declined to continue its games with CCSU (for their own reasons) and opted instead to visit Connecticut to play the Huskies and collect a $$$. With Coach Mac coming over from Rhody, I think that would have been a great game this year!

Any chance CCSU and NU will play each other next year on the gridiron? I know we want to get back on your schedule for hoops. :)

Husky Alum
September 11th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Any chance CCSU and NU will play each other next year on the gridiron? I know we want to get back on your schedule for hoops. :)

I'm told you're already pencilled in for hoops.

As for football, we've already got 2 OOC's nailed for next year

@ Northwestern (a.k.a. The Media Nightmare Bowl)
@ UC-Davis

Now I know that YSU, Holy Cross and NW State all owe us games, but I'm not sure when they'll be played - I think HC is 2009 (we play BC and HC in the same year). I thought YSU was 2008 - so maybe it's NW State next year, or we'll have an opening.

I'm sure if you guys want to come to Boston, we'll play - but I can't see us having 3 road OOC's again.

GannonFan
September 11th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Good lord...this is EXACTLY WHY THE NEC IS FIGHTING TO GET AN AUTOBID (because as it stands WE WILL NEVER GET IN IF PEOPLE LIKE YOU ARE ON THE BOARD.)

If CCSU wins out, they would have played a decent, but not great schedule, deserving of a bid.

If Albany, for example, went bonkers and went 10-1, with the only hiccup being Fordham, are you telling me a team that would (in this hypothetcial) beat CORNELL, LEHIGH, DELAWARE, SBU, CCSU, and MONMOUTH (with their respective wins), would be less deserving than a team that goes 8-3 in an autobid conference.

COME ON NOW.....

Nonsense, trying to compare Central Connecticut St with Albany is not a fair comparison. Albany's playing a schedule this year that if they went undefeated, or IMO won out from here on (10-1) then Albany would definitely be in. Heck, Albany could go 9-2 (but with a win against UD) and probably make the playoffs. CCSU does not have that luxury because they aren't playing that schedule. Where Albany schedules Cornell, Lehigh, UD, and Fordham, CCSU schedules Georgia Southern, Southern CT St, Marist, and St Peters. If you can't see the huge difference in that OOC scheduling then it's pointless to continue. Alabany scheduled well and would be rewarded if they won against it, CCSU scheduled very poorly and will be disappointed even if they run the table.

Dane96
September 11th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Oh, no question I agree with you Gannon Fan. One difference in opinion is that if a team goes 11-0 with wins over GSU (let's say they turn it around and finish 9-2), Albany (most likely a solid record and some big wins), Southern (DII playoff team), Monmouth (victory over MEAC), and SBU (playing most IAA powers tough, however no offense to speak of), then CCSU SHOULD GET SERIOUS consideration.

That's all.

I agree, and I think most do, that if Albany ran the table or went 9-2 with a win over UD, we would get in.

If not...then bloody murder would rain down.

That being said, I dont forsee UA being anything better than 8-3.

JALMOND
September 11th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Oh, no question I agree with you Gannon Fan. One difference in opinion is that if a team goes 11-0 with wins over GSU (let's say they turn it around and finish 9-2), Albany (most likely a solid record and some big wins), Southern (DII playoff team), Monmouth (victory over MEAC), and SBU (playing most IAA powers tough, however no offense to speak of), then CCSU SHOULD GET SERIOUS consideration.

That's all.

I agree, and I think most do, that if Albany ran the table or went 9-2 with a win over UD, we would get in.

If not...then bloody murder would rain down.

That being said, I dont forsee UA being anything better than 8-3.

I for one still don't see it, based on what has happened so far in I-AA. OOC opponents scheduled by both CCSU and Albany do not even compare with Colorado, New Mexico, Northwestern or even Duke. New Hampshire and Richmond both play in the A-10 so at least one should receive an at large bid. A strong arguement could be made that both Montana State and Portland State are still lagging behind Montana in the Big Sky so that would take two at-large spots away there. CCSU's best shot would be for GSU to take the auto-bid from the SoCon, thus strengthening CCSU's position on the at-large, even if CCSU were to go undefeated. Between the two (CCSU and Albany), I'd say Albany could lose one and still be considered, based on their schedule. But September is too early to be talking about December.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 11th, 2006, 01:02 PM
I hate to sound like a sore loser, but I think it's a bit premature to be saying that CCSU will have made a case for an at-large bid by the end of the season.

I was impressed with Central's offense, but our offense (the passing game mainly) was a complete train wreck. Georgia Southern is not only a completely different team this year than last year, it also has a history of early season struggling. Only time will tell if this is a quality win or not.

If Central beats most of its NEC foes pretty good (or at least puts up some impressive offensive numbers) and the NEC proves to be decent competition overall against their non-"midmajor" opponents this year, and there are not too many strong at-large candidates in the autobid conferences, then I think they deserve to get in and will get in.

Dane96
September 11th, 2006, 01:06 PM
I hate to sound like a sore loser, but I think it's a bit premature to be saying that CCSU will have made a case for an at-large bid by the end of the season.

I was impressed with Central's offense, but our offense (the passing game mainly) was a complete train wreck. Georgia Southern is not only a completely different team this year than last year, it also has a history of early season struggling. Only time will tell if this is a quality win or not.

If Central beats most of its NEC foes pretty good (or at least puts up some impressive offensive numbers) and the NEC proves to be decent competition overall against their non-"midmajor" opponents this year, and there are not too many strong at-large candidates in the autobid conferences, then I think they deserve to get in and will get in.

Agreed!!!!:hurray:

art vandelay
September 11th, 2006, 02:37 PM
ccsu is a mid major team they cant enter into the 1aa playoffs. it doesnt matter what they do.

Dane96
September 11th, 2006, 02:45 PM
wow...art vandelay is profound.

danefan
September 11th, 2006, 02:48 PM
ccsu is a mid major team they cant enter into the 1aa playoffs. it doesnt matter what they do.

Solid 11th Post!:confused: xidiotx

ToreroTime
September 11th, 2006, 03:19 PM
If any team is going to make a run at the playoffs from a smaller conference it is San Diego. They are easily the best team in both the NEC and the Pioneer League and with their schedule they can cruise to the Gridiron Classic, where they have beaten their last three NEC teams they faced a combined score of 124-49!

aceinthehole
September 11th, 2006, 03:27 PM
If any team is going to make a run at the playoffs from a smaller conference it is San Diego. They are easily the best team in both the NEC and the Pioneer League and with their schedule they can cruise to the Gridiron Classic, where they have beaten their last three NEC teams they faced a combined score of 124-49!

You have played 2 games and have yet to face even a I-AA "mid-major" opponent.

Scheduling 1 sub I-AA team a season is fine, but USD .... well we know you can't find games :bawling:

I don't think a win vs. NAIA team and a first year D-II squad carries much weight around here. You couldn't get 7 D-IAA wins last season.

This weekend your troops can watch Central Conn. in New Haven on Friday night. Then I fully expect you to drop in the polls when you lose to Yale. :D

Dane96
September 11th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Bah, bah, bah, bahahhahahahahaha.

Billy one post, ummm....USD most of us respect...but last I looked, your creampuff schedule doesnt cut it. Could USD make it if they played up...heck YES!

As for recent history...you have never played in a Gridiron classic before...it never existed. As for the three NEC teams you spanked, well that is rather interesting; LAST TIME YOU PLAYED AN NEC TEAM WAS TWO YEARS AGO, and you did beat up on a bottom of the pack NON-SCHOLLY team....Wagner.

Other than that...you havent played an NEC team in five years.

Gawd almighty.

89Hen
September 11th, 2006, 03:31 PM
:rolleyes: Exactly why they will never receive any serious consideration for the playoffs. Please come back on the board after the UC-Davis game.

BTW, I only see Wagner of the NEC on your schedule recently? :confused:

ToreroTime
September 11th, 2006, 03:46 PM
First off Im pretty sure San Diego is still the number 1 team in the Sports Network Mid Major poll....http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/TSN-MID-MAJOR.htm, so that shows how much respect Albany and Central Con get. As for the last post I made I mixed up the MAAC and the NEC, both of them are far inferrior in coaching and in talent than the San Diego squad of this year.

RabidRabbit
September 11th, 2006, 03:55 PM

Good to see a Torero!!!!! The Great West schools welcome you and hope you'll consider adding schollies.:D

Look forward to your tune-up vs Davis prior to going to GridIron (assuming Dayton or Drake don't upset you) :hurray:

DUPFLFan
September 11th, 2006, 03:58 PM

Not so fast tt....

There are a few PL teams that have something to say about this...

UAalum72
September 11th, 2006, 05:03 PM
If San Diego gets to the Gridiron Classic I fully expect to hear them complaining that it's snowing, or raining, or less than 45 degrees, or in the wrong time zone....

ToreroTime
September 11th, 2006, 07:52 PM
San Diego has been playing cold weather games in the midwest for years now, Albany better start coming up with excuses on how Josh Johnson threw for 300 and ran for 100 yards in a blow out!

drjman
September 11th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Somebody define "mid-major" in the context of I-AA please.

I suspect it's a useless connotation.

And that's coming from "mid-major" Charleston Southern (although I am a Furman grad--love them too, but FU's got it's props).

CSU is in the same boat--very possibly could go undefeated and still miss the playoffs. Weak sked with a bunch of DII opponents just doesn't cut it.

I would tend to think that if you ain't in the top 16....the mid-major poll doesn't count for much?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I've found plenty of people will quickly do here!

CSU BUCS
September 12th, 2006, 07:15 AM
I think Mid-major is refering to non-scholarship 1-AA schools.

DetroitFlyer
September 12th, 2006, 08:40 AM
The UC Davis game is actually scheduled AFTER the Gridiron Classic this year. I think that since both UC Davis and San Diego will not be in the playoffs this season they decided to play a game during the first week of the I-AA playoffs this year. Now, that said, Jim Harbaugh has put out a goal for his team to compete with win against ANY I-AA team regardless of scholarship status. He has also publically stated that San Diego's goal will be to make the I-AA playoffs as a "non-scholarship" team. It cannot happen this year, but next year, maybe.... As far as the PFL is concerned, Drake, Dayton and Morehead State will all test USD this season. Even an improving Davidson could be a suprise if taken lightly.... I guess that is why we play the games. As to the utter nonsense of "Mid-Major", it does not exist. It is a 100% made up moniker that is applied to teams in the NEC, PFL and MAAC. Try to find the official NCAA stats. for I-AA "Mid-Major". Guess what, they do not exist. There is only I-AA!

drjman
September 12th, 2006, 08:44 AM
That was my thinking.

I saw some "mid-major" basketball poll last year -- it included teams which I know do offer scholarships. It struck me as a way for these schools to get their names in the news or to gain some measure of notoriety when really the goal should be to make the "final" 64. Then again, I wasn't sure who came up with the poll.