PDA

View Full Version : Can GA State Actually Go 3-0 Against FCS?

SU DOG
July 17th, 2013, 03:29 PM
According to this writer, they will. Personally, I think this guy must be drinking some strong Kool-Aid. To beat Samford, UTC, and JSU convincingly as he suggests will be a tall order IMO. I may be proven wrong, but I'm not buying it.

http://www.macon.com/2013/07/17/2556490/predicting-georgia-states-football.html

BisonFan02
July 17th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Sept. 7 Chattanooga: The Panthers schedule smartly before getting into a really tough part of their schedule. ... Georgia State 30, Chattanooga 14.

xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
July 17th, 2013, 03:41 PM
They'll be lucky to go 1-2 against these three.

Seabiscuit
July 17th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Probably not but don't underestimate Trent Miles. He is the real deal and I expect him to get the Georgia State program going quickly.

LeadBolt
July 17th, 2013, 04:28 PM
They can conceivably, but they won't.

parr90
July 17th, 2013, 04:33 PM
No!

ThompsonThe
July 17th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Would be surprised if they don't lose one or two of those. Miles is good, but they had a long way to go.

blueballs
July 17th, 2013, 05:19 PM
They'll lose by multiple scores to both Samford and UTC, and get beat up physically in the process.

bonarae
July 17th, 2013, 05:30 PM
1-2 makes more sense... but 0-3 may become reality.

The Cats
July 17th, 2013, 05:39 PM
They'll lose by multiple scores to both Samford and UTC, and get beat up physically in the process.

I agree.

FormerPokeCenter
July 17th, 2013, 06:45 PM
As long as Lambuth isn't squaring off against Georgia State in those contests, it's conceivable that the Panthers could escape without a loss...

melloware13
July 17th, 2013, 08:15 PM
I think the better question is how much money will they have to drop onto the field to get people to go to the Georgia Dome for the games.

Sandlapper Spike
July 17th, 2013, 09:34 PM
I wonder what is more likely...that they go 3-0 against the FCS teams, or that they lose all 12 games this season?

I think 0-12 is a better bet.

CID1990
July 17th, 2013, 11:09 PM
Those are all very strong FCS teams. They go 0-3 easily. Hell, they would go 0-3 against the top 3 Big South teams, for that matter.

Sent from the center of the universe.

IBleedYellow
July 17th, 2013, 11:39 PM
But But But...it's Chatty.

Then again, it's Georgia State.

I'm in a predicament where I can't choose who is actually "worse." D'oh.

seantaylor
July 18th, 2013, 01:14 AM
0-3 much more realistic than 3-0. I will go on record and say 0-3.

Tribe4SF
July 18th, 2013, 06:27 AM
Will be interesting to see how quickly Miles turns them around. They had some talent last year, but it was obvious when you saw them play that their coaching was woeful.

ASUMountaineer
July 18th, 2013, 07:16 AM
Sept. 7 Chattanooga: The Panthers schedule smartly before getting into a really tough part of their schedule. ... Georgia State 30, Chattanooga 14.

xlolx

This can't be true...chattown has already spoken. (though, for once, I agree with him re: this game)

SpeedkingATL
July 18th, 2013, 09:16 AM
I predict GaState goes 1-2 against those 3 FCS teams. Miles is good but this isn't an instant turnaround situation and Sammy, UTC and JaxSt are pretty good. they may not have any QB's left after UTC and Tull get after them.

MplsBison
July 18th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Seeing how this entire board is dead set against GA St - is there anyone who can provide an objective analysis of the FCS games?

bjtheflamesfan
July 18th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Seeing how this entire board is dead set against GA St - is there anyone who can provide an objective analysis of the FCS games? I certainly could give it a shot...give me a few hours to do some research and I'll post my analysis

bjtheflamesfan
July 18th, 2013, 01:53 PM
Game #1 Samford

The Bulldogs return leading rusher Fabian Truss from 2012. The senior finished as a second team all-conference honoree with 1092 yards on the ground, the fifth time in six seasons that the leading rusher went over 1000 yards. Memphis transfer Andy SUmmerlin will again lead the way through the air, though he will have some new targets to throw to this year to complement leading receiver Kelsey Pope. Im interested to see how much the Panther offense has matured. Leading passer (and likely opening day starter) Ben McLane is back along with Ronnie Bell. Travis Evans is the top returning rusher for Georgia State.

With the Bill Curry Experiment over down in Atlanta, I think we will get to truly see what the Panthers can do. I think the Bulldogs win this one, but it will be a competitive matchup showing some encouraging signs for first year head coach Trent Miles

Samford 31
GSU 24

Game #2 Chattanooga

Resident delusional Mocs homer chattownmocs has this game pegged as a rout, but Miles has shown his ability to turn ISU-Blue, once one of the FCS doormats, into a playoff contender. Georgia State has a chance to knock the Mocs off as they may see this and their matchup against Austin Peay as warmups for their first significant matchup against Georgia Southern. If they overlook the Panthers, this could be an early upset (and lead to an early season meltdown on this page from him). UTC squeaks this one out as the first year FBS program continues to improve

UT-Chattanooga 21
GSU 17

Game #4 Jacksonville State

After a matchup with the Mountaineers in Morgantown, the Panthers return home for their final FCS matchup of the year against the Gamecocks. Senior Marques Ivory returns this year after a broken leg ended his 2012 season in the opener, and he will want to show that he has no ill effects from that injury. JSU knocked off Ole Miss from the SEC but that was 2010 and this is a different team. GSU lost in Jacksonville last year but the boys in blue get a measure of payback and give coach Miles his first victory

GSU 31
JSU 28

chattanoogamocs
July 18th, 2013, 05:41 PM
Seeing how this entire board is dead set against GA St - is there anyone who can provide an objective analysis of the FCS games?

The problem is, GaSu was so bad last year, it is hard to be objective...they lost their 10 games by an average of 26.8 per game. That isn't just bad, it's horrible. They had 1 win and one loss by 7 points...the rest were all blowouts.

They only have 4 DI (scholarship) wins since they started the program... Rhode Island (0-11 in 2012), South Alabama (6-4, 2011), Savannah State (1-10, 2010) and Lamar (5-6, 2010)

Can they show improvement? For sure, because they have nowhere to go but up.

Chattanooga will not take them lightly, they are an FBS team playing at home. But I seriously doubt the Mocs "D" is going to give up 30 points to GaSu.

MplsBison
July 19th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Fair enough, thanks.

bjtheflamesfan
July 19th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Miles turned things around at ISU-b and Im sure he will be able to do the same at GA State. It may not be a 1-10 to 11-1 in year one kind of turnaround but he certainly is capable of making a transformation happen. Panther fans will have to exercise some patience over these first years in FBS though.

OL FU
July 19th, 2013, 01:51 PM
How often do "above average" to really good FCS teams get beaten badly by good lower level FBS teams? and while they may improve, I would be surprised if Ga St will be a good lower level FBS team (this year). I am pretty surprised by the guys predictions.

chattownmocs
July 19th, 2013, 02:02 PM
All you have to do is look at their results from last year. They will be luckily to keep these games close.

chattanoogamocs
July 19th, 2013, 02:28 PM
Miles turned things around at ISU-b and Im sure he will be able to do the same at GA State. It may not be a 1-10 to 11-1 in year one kind of turnaround but he certainly is capable of making a transformation happen. Panther fans will have to exercise some patience over these first years in FBS though.

There is no argument from me that Miles is a good coach...but like many others have said (including you above), this probably isn't going to happen right out of the box.

His record at ISU was 0-12, 1-10, 6-5, 6-5, 7-4

I don't think GaSu is as bad as ISU was when Miles showed up, but they are close...I don't think there is a quick fix. I will say this, I am happy that the Mocs are playing them early in the year instead of late.

Former SBC member Middle Tennessee State managed to go 6-2 in the Sun Belt and beat Memphis (granted, that's not saying much) and Georgia Tech last year...but still lost to McNeese State.

I think it is pretty obviously the writer of these predictions is an idiot...he is obviously just throwing out numbers without doing more than a cursory scan of the opponents.

I know that the Mocs are chomping at the bit this year...they know they have no excuses, the APR restrictions are far behind them and they have depth at all key positions...especially on defense. It's time to put up or shut up.

SU DOG
July 19th, 2013, 02:43 PM
The put up or shut up ultimatum also somewhat applies to Samford. While this should be our strongest SoCon team, each season has its own pitfalls and surprises. I do expect Ga State to be much better. They had some nice talent last year that was badly misused. They also have quite a few transfers who will be eligible to play this year. I have not chalked this up as a Samford 'W', but would be very disappointed if they beat our Dogs.

With that UTC lock-down defense, the Mocs, it seems to me, would be favored over the Panthers. Also, watch out for JSU this year. They have plenty of talent and now have a far better coaching staff in place. I really think they are possibly the most underrated team in the FCS right now.

In summation, I just think that these 3 FCS teams would be difficult for almost any lower tier FBS squad to sweep.

Vitojr130
July 19th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Guise, GSU (the real GSU) has been terrible the last few years simply because they have been only playing their nonschollies so as to keep their schollies healthy for when they make the jump. Now, they will be playing all 85 of their schollies and we lowly FCS'ers stand no chance. In fact, they will take 3 games against FCS and someone come out with 4 wins. Guise, it's the real GSU. I'm being super cereal right now.

In reality, any program that is so bad they have to dump their entire athletic budget on the field to attract fans is, more than likely, going to lose the vast majority of their games. 0-3

Lehigh Football Nation
July 19th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Like Vitojr said, a huge part of this is that they're not just playing run-of-the-mill FCS teams. They're playing three (conservatively) Top 40 FCS schools, maybe even Top 30 schools, and all of them are rising programs for a variety of reasons. All three have to be talked about as potential title candidates for the SoCon and OVC. It would be difficult for a lot of third- and fourth-quadrant schools to sweep these three, let alone one with a mammoth rebuilding job like Miles.

Nothing against Miles, if anyone can make Georgia State into something it's him. But I'd predict they go 1-2 in these games, with 0-3 a distinct possibility.

bjtheflamesfan
July 19th, 2013, 04:00 PM
There is no argument from me that Miles is a good coach...but like many others have said (including you above), this probably isn't going to happen right out of the box.

I don't think GaSu is as bad as ISU was when Miles showed up, but they are close...I don't think there is a quick fix. I will say this, I am happy that the Mocs are playing them early in the year instead of late.

Former SBC member Middle Tennessee State managed to go 6-2 in the Sun Belt and beat Memphis (granted, that's not saying much) and Georgia Tech last year...but still lost to McNeese State.

I think it is pretty obviously the writer of these predictions is an idiot...he is obviously just throwing out numbers without doing more than a cursory scan of the opponents.

I know that the Mocs are chomping at the bit this year...they know they have no excuses, the APR restrictions are far behind them and they have depth at all key positions...especially on defense. It's time to put up or shut up.

I agree with the bolded statement. UTC has had a few upset wins over the years, but they have not been able to string together the kind of season that fans have no doubt been expecting for some time. They get one last shot at both GaSou and App State on the road and those games I think will shape the direction of the season. The Eagles will be first game coming out of the bye week and App State will be the second of three road games as the Mocs alternate home and away after their home game vs. WCU for six straight weeks. You have to think that if Huesman can't get them to the playoffs this year, he may have a very hot seat down in Chattanooga.

chattanoogamocs
July 19th, 2013, 04:57 PM
You have to think that if Huesman can't get them to the playoffs this year, he may have a very hot seat down in Chattanooga.

The sad reality is, the Mocs had been so bad for so long, being "mediocre" the last 4 years (6-5, 6-5, 5-6, 6-5) has most fans relatively happy. Especially since they have been very competitive with the upper end of the conference (just haven't been able to get over the hump).

Fair minded UTC fans really thought this (year 5) would be the first year of legitimately raised expectations (though anything before then would have been great)...because this is the first year that they have had a senior class that had no APR restrictions or limitations. This is all Russ' team now, free and clear.

As long as they continue to head forward (meaning better than the 6-5 rut) I don't think his seat would be hot, but I do think there would definitely be some grumbling this year if they fail to make the playoffs.

Russ has to figure out how to not let the big one's wriggle off the hook.

MplsBison
July 19th, 2013, 05:23 PM

I don't think GA St's program is in any way, shape or form close to what IN St had...still has.

They play in the Georgia Dome, which I believe is getting a renovation. They play in Atlanta, arguably the capital of the Southeast US and unquestionably on of the best, most fun, urban areas in that part of this country. And most importantly, they have financial commitment from the school and facilities to back it up!

There should be no problem getting kids to come to Atlanta to play for GA St. If Miles can get players to go to Terre Haute, IN, to play in a program with nothing - he should be fine in Atlanta.

Redbirdz
July 19th, 2013, 09:27 PM
I would expect JSU to win by at least two touchdowns, maybe more. Loads of talent there.

catamount man
July 20th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Samford will make GS touch their toes Aug 30. Hope all three FCS teams POUND them!

dgtw
July 20th, 2013, 12:31 PM
I don't think GA St's program is in any way, shape or form close to what IN St had...still has.

They play in the Georgia Dome, which I believe is getting a renovation. They play in Atlanta, arguably the capital of the Southeast US and unquestionably on of the best, most fun, urban areas in that part of this country. And most importantly, they have financial commitment from the school and facilities to back it up!

There should be no problem getting kids to come to Atlanta to play for GA St. If Miles can get players to go to Terre Haute, IN, to play in a program with nothing - he should be fine in Atlanta.

The Falcons will be moving to a new stadium that will be built over the next couple years. I do not know what the future holds for the Georgia Dome or where GSU will be playing.