PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Wrapup

cosmo here
September 10th, 2006, 09:35 AM
Georgetown 7, Stony Brook 0 - Hoyas don't allow the Seawolves inside the 20 all day, only 8 first downs but just enough offense, nice first win for Kelly

Northeastern 24, Holy Cross 14 - Huskies close with 17 unanswered, Brian McSharry sharp (19-23) but only 126 yards for Crusaders, give up 170 rushing yards to Maurice Murray

No. 25 Lafayette 31, Bucknell 0 - Leopards dominant, TDs on first four possessions, Maurer brilliant (325 yards of offense, 72 yd TD run), unveiled 3-4 defense to stop option, pitch shutout

Fordham 9, Albany 7 - Rams get retribution for 40-0 pasting in last year's finale, Prydatko carries 33 times for 148 yards, gives Masella first win

Lehigh 31, Villanova 28 - Mountain Hawks rally three times to give Coen first win, rebound nicely from Albany, Threatt outstanding (300 yards of offense), Trovato scores twice (57 yd PR, 18 yd catch)

carney2
September 10th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Nicely done, Cosmo. As I stated on another post, I really liked the Lehigh win - a "statement" game.

Andy
September 10th, 2006, 10:04 AM
The Marist vs Sacred Heart game has me shaking my head. Marist's 300 passing yards explains our game, the weather and our inability to throw in it kept us from exploiting their obvious weakness. But I thought SHU had way to much talent offensively to be held to 19 pts. Two points: 1)football is a funny game. 2) nobody's gonna be offering me that scouting job any time soon.

Pard4Life
September 10th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Congrats to Lehigh on a solid win.. compared to what I saw before switching to the Lafayette game at 7, it is very surprising to see them win that game.

Outside of that win, the G'town win is the most surprising considering SBU's performance vs. Hofstra last week. The seven points is not a surprise at all, but the shutout certainly is.

Fordham... nice rebound win vs. Albany, a very talented team. Perhaps the Rams might surprise this year still.

Too bad about Holy Cross, or this would have been an excellent week for the PL.

And Andy, that Marist win was also very surprising.. SHU does have too much talent to be limited to just 19 points, given Marist's traditional defense and how SHU's offense faired vs. the Pards last week.

TheValleyRaider
September 10th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Now this is a little more like it :nod:

Nice job by Fordham and Georgetown shutting down their NEC opponents (especially the revenge win for Fordham). Lehigh deserves props for getting by Nova. Tough day for HC though, too bad we couldn't pull off the A-10 sweep. I'm surprised how big the margin for Lafayette was, but there's that gulf between the PL "haves" and "have-nots", I suppose.

Next week is Ivy week, so go get 'em PL!:hurray: :hurray:

ngineer
September 10th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Now this is a little more like it :nod:

Nice job by Fordham and Georgetown shutting down their NEC opponents (especially the revenge win for Fordham). Lehigh deserves props for getting by Nova. Tough day for HC though, too bad we couldn't pull off the A-10 sweep. I'm surprised how big the margin for Lafayette was, but there's that gulf between the PL "haves" and "have-nots", I suppose.

Next week is Ivy week, so go get 'em PL!:hurray: :hurray:

Absolutely! Here's hoping the PL can get those clippers sharpened this week and trim the Ivy real good. I think all PL's are playing Ivy opponents. Good luck to all!:thumbsup:

TheValleyRaider
September 10th, 2006, 03:21 PM
[/B]

Absolutely! Here's hoping the PL can get those clippers sharpened this week and trim the Ivy real good. I think all PL's are playing Ivy opponents. Good luck to all!:thumbsup:

Yep, all 7 PL teams and 7 of the 8 Ivies (Yale being the only one without a partner for the weekend)
Holy Cross @ Harvard 12:30 PM
Fordham @ Columbia 12:30 PM
Penn @ Lafayette 1:00 PM
Georgetown @ Brown 1:00 PM
Princeton @ Lehigh 1:00 PM
Dartmouth @ Colgate 1:00 PM
Cornell @ Bucknell 7:00 PM

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Yep, all 7 PL teams and 7 of the 8 Ivies (Yale being the only one without a partner for the weekend)
Holy Cross @ Harvard 12:30 PM
Fordham @ Columbia 12:30 PM
Penn @ Lafayette 1:00 PM
Georgetown @ Brown 1:00 PM
Princeton @ Lehigh 1:00 PM
Dartmouth @ Colgate 1:00 PM
Cornell @ Bucknell 7:00 PM

Holy Cross @ Harvard and Penn @ Lafayette are the two headliners. The 'Pards have struggled mightly against the Quakers and the Crimson should be a good barometer for Holy Cross.

Andy
September 10th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Holy Cross @ Harvard and Penn @ Lafayette are the two headliners. The 'Pards have struggled mightly against the Quakers....

Historically, certainly true, however no one on the Pard's current roster has ever faced Penn and the talent level compared to the early Tavani years is like night and day....should be interesting.

The old debate as to where the advantage lies--with the team having played twice or with the team playing their first game but with two game films to review--is front and center in the league this week. Our two games played "advantage" has cost us two starters--both to hamstrings, super soph OLB Romans and All-PL FS T. Johnson.

Go...gate
September 10th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Holy Cross @ Harvard and Penn @ Lafayette are the two headliners. The 'Pards have struggled mightly against the Quakers and the Crimson should be a good barometer for Holy Cross.

Time for Lafayette to break out against the Quackers!!! :coach:

ngineer
September 10th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Yes, with a strong showing against Bucknell and the psych of the renovated stadium, I would think the 'pards should be favored in this one. Without any 'study' I'd expect LC to win by 9-10 pts.:read:

blukeys
September 10th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Historically, certainly true, however no one on the Pard's current roster has ever faced Penn and the talent level compared to the early Tavani years is like night and day....should be interesting.

The old debate as to where the advantage lies--with the team having played twice or with the team playing their first game but with two game films to review--is front and center in the league this week. Our two games played "advantage" has cost us two starters--both to hamstrings, super soph OLB Romans and All-PL FS T. Johnson.

I would still give the advantage to the team that has already played. Yes you have no game films but your coaches now know what THEIR OWN TEAM can do in live situations. This is much more valuable especially if the team is young. The Ivy coaches don't know how individual players will enter into an existing mix. Scrimmaging against your teamates who have had weeks to learn tendencies is not the same as an opponent.

carney2
September 10th, 2006, 10:22 PM
I would still give the advantage to the team that has already played. Yes you have no game films but your coaches now know what THEIR OWN TEAM can do in live situations. This is much more valuable especially if the team is young. The Ivy coaches don't know how individual players will enter into an existing mix. Scrimmaging against your teamates who have had weeks to learn tendencies is not the same as an opponent.

Joe Paterno always said that a team's greatest improvement during the season is between games 1 and 2. Obviously, the team that has played has made that step forward. Some years ago the Ivies recognized that fact because they were being consistently beaten in their openers by PL teams. They began a scheduling policy where they played a round of Ivy League games in week one before going to their OOC schedule. They have apparently abandoned that approach.

blukeys
September 10th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Joe Paterno always said that a team's greatest improvement during the season is between games 1 and 2.

Amazing, Tubby Raymond has also stated thaton numerous occasions including one time in one of his books. With those two having 600+ wins between them it must be true. And yes, I was thinking of Tubby's claim when I posted earlier. Glad to see Jo Pa agrees. :nod: :nod: :nod:

Pards Rule
September 11th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Am I wrong, but is the last time the Pards beat the Quakers in 1982, my junior year?

Pard4Life
September 11th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Am I wrong, but is the last time the Pards beat the Quakers in 1982, my junior year?

Nope, won in 1990 and 1991 in Philadelphia... lost in 94, 95, 00, 01, 02... thank you media guide...

Believe it or not, we are one of Penn's top five rivals. They have played us more than Harvard, Yale, Dartmouth, Brown. We should keep it up every year.

Pards Rule
September 11th, 2006, 09:54 AM
I remember sitting through one beating - late Sept. 2000? at Franklin Field. OUCH! And the other time was in 1986 - at Franklin too - I believe a loss (check that 4Life with that media guide which I don't get :( )

Pard4Life
September 11th, 2006, 09:54 AM

Not true.. Archie Fisher had his first TD vs. Penn in 2002. I hope the Pards are feeling animalistic for this one...

What's the deal with Johnson again?

And the injury to Romans was not made out to be a big deal, but anything with a hamstring is usually problematic.

Pard4Life
September 11th, 2006, 09:56 AM
I remember sitting through one beating - late Sept. 2000? at Franklin Field. OUCH! And the other time was in 1986 - at Franklin too - I believe a loss (check that 4Life with that media guide which I don't get :( )

I don't have a hard copy either, but I have the downloaded PDF, which you could have easily too! :)

Essentially.. you are right...

10/16/82 Easton 35-20 W
10/15/83 Philadelphia 20-28 L
11/8/86 Philadelphia 14-42 L
11/7/87 Easton 14-23 L
11/5/88 Easton 17-31 L
9/23/89 Philadelphia 12-25 L
9/29/90 Easton 20-13 W
10/5/91 Philadelphia 20-12 W
9/17/94 Philadelphia 7-27 L
9/23/95 Easton 8-28 L
9/23/00 Philadelphia 28-45 L
9/22/01 Easton 0-37 L
9/21/02 Easton 21-52 L

Pards Rule
September 11th, 2006, 10:02 AM
God, should I go now? I have never witnessed a LC win over UP and I don't want to jinx! The 1982 game I was in DC for the Washington Semester program.

Pard4Life
September 11th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Time for Lafayette to break out against the Quackers!!! :coach:

My jury is still out on the Leopards. Yeah we dominated Bucknell an looked real good doing it... but some things still need to be fixed big-time..

1) Penalties now seems to be an issue. Some were just downright idiotic. Two directly cost us two TDs. One sequence had us scoring a 70-yrd TD fumble return, then a block in the back on the return had us at the 20, then a false start pushed us back, then a holding. We were at mid-field and Maurer completed two long passes for first downs... don't think that would have been successful vs. Penn.

2) Passing defense still has holes. BU completed several long third down passes to open recievers. BU was really hitting their recievers early in the game before we wrought physical punishment.

3) Special teams... looked better on PATs, but we botched a hold/low snap on a missed FG attempt.

There were a few other things but I can't recall. I was really hoping Tavani gave them a talkin' to at the half due to the penalties even though they were up 28-0... don't think he did though...

We still have work to do and I am very nervous for Penn, our first major opponent.

Pard4Life
September 11th, 2006, 10:04 AM
God, should I go now? I have never witnessed a LC win over UP and I don't want to jinx! The 1982 game I was in DC for the Washington Semester program.

I have never seen a Penn win either, but I'm still going! With the new stadium, the team's energy should be explosive. We have a good chance of winning this one.

Pard94
September 11th, 2006, 10:06 AM

Nope, we beat them my Sophomore year (91). Loved playing on Franklin Field. They had future KC Chiefs OT, Valero on their squad. He was a man among boys.

Pard4Life
September 11th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Started a thead on the smack board.. do think of some things to add...

..It's Official I Hate Penn and the Ivy League Week..

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13505

LBPop
September 11th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Joe Paterno always said that a team's greatest improvement during the season is between games 1 and 2.

Yes, Coach Kelly of Georgetown said the same thing and emphasized that it is even more pronounced with a new coaching staff and philosophy. I guess Fordham and Georgtown are good examples.

The biggest difference with the Hoyas this week was that they made far fewer mistakes than in week #1. It's no shock to anyone that Georgetown will not blow anyone away this season, but if they play smart and play the full 60 minutes, they will have a chance in most games.

As for JoePa, I guess the Irish did more improving than did his Lions. :nod:

Pards Rule
September 11th, 2006, 10:51 AM
I can't not go...A new stadium and a 2-0 record...the boys will be ready to battle!

carney2
September 11th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Here are the last 10 vs. the Quackers:

2002 Penn 52, Lafayette 21
2001 Penn 37, Lafayette 0
2000 Penn 45, Lafayette 28
1995 Penn 28, Lafayette 8
1994 Penn 27, Lafayette 7
1991 Lafayette 20, Penn 12
1990 Lafayette 20, Penn 13
1989 Penn 25, Lafayette 12
1988 Penn 31, Lafayette 17
1987 Penn 23, Lafayette 14

We are their tackling dummies.

This is an ancient series, with the first game played in 1882 (what else, a loss). It has been almost a rivalry - albeit one-sided - based on the number of games played. Penn leads the series 60-18-4. On the plus side, Penn is the only Ivy League team not located in Manhattan where Lafayette has broken into double digits in the win column.

carney2
September 11th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Anyone else care to hazard a guess for this week's Patriot League/Ivy League Challenge?

Holy Cross @ Harvard HARVARD by 15
Fordham @ Columbia FORDHAM by 10
Penn @ Lafayette LAFAYETTE by 14
Georgetown @ Brown BROWN by 21
Princeton @ Lehigh LEHIGH by 7
Dartmouth @ Colgate COLGATE by 21
Cornell @ Bucknell CORNELL by 7

That's Patriot League 4, Ivy League 3

Pards Rule
September 11th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Carney are these your guesses or some kind of Sagarin point spread?

LBPop
September 11th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Must be Carney's own picks. If I read the current Sagarin ratings correctly, with the home team bump. Brown should be about a 27 point favorite over the Hoyas. I would love to have reason to argue either spread, but I cannot blame any objective observer for seeing this game as one-sided. I sure hope Carney and Sagarin are both wrong.

carney2
September 11th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Carney are these your guesses or some kind of Sagarin point spread?

All me. Sorry, should have stated that. Anyway, it is an invitation for feedback: "We'll beat 'em by more than..." "How could any dumbie think that we could lose to..." etc. After all, I'm the guy that picked Holy Cross over Northeastern by a gazillion points.

Pards Rule
September 11th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Hmm, 14 points over the Quakers. I won't be that aggressive as I say 8.

Pard4Life
September 11th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Hmm, 14 points over the Quakers. I won't be that aggressive as I say 8.

I'll say it's even... and Pards by one..

ngineer
September 11th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Anyone else care to hazard a guess for this week's Patriot League/Ivy League Challenge?

Holy Cross @ Harvard HARVARD by 15
Fordham @ Columbia FORDHAM by 10
Penn @ Lafayette LAFAYETTE by 14
Georgetown @ Brown BROWN by 21
Princeton @ Lehigh LEHIGH by 7
Dartmouth @ Colgate COLGATE by 21
Cornell @ Bucknell CORNELL by 7

That's Patriot League 4, Ivy League 3

I agree with your outcomes, though I think your game with Penn will be closer and Holy Cross may be still in it in the fourth quarter as well.

Harvard 24 Holy Cross 17
Fordham 17 Columbia 6
Lafayette 24 Penn 20
Brown 27 Georgetown 10
Lehigh 35 Princeton 21
Colgate 38 Dartmouth 14
Cornell 24 Bucknell 12

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Possible to change from now until Thrus when i make my real picks on the voy board.

Harvard 27 Holy Cross 24- if this game was at HC i'd go with the Crusaders. Gilmore has the troops ready to play each week and Harvard had a horrible off-season. With that said Dawson will be the difference.

Fordham 17 Columbia 14- I have no clue what to expect from the Rams this year and still might not know after this game. The Columbia fans on the Ivy board are quite optimistic for some reason and no one has said they're crazy.

Lafayette 20 Penn 10- When the Pards play good teams they beat them in low scoring drag 'em out contests. I think Hurt and crew will just pound the Quakers all day and it'll be a methodical, decisive win for Lafayette.

Brown 34 Georgetown 7- The Hoyas were scrappy last week after a tough game week one. Still the Hoyas offense remains inept and that's not good heading to Providence against possibly the best team in the Ivy League.

Colgate 24 Dartmouth 3- Colgate will get revenge after last years suprising loss in Hanover. However, jury is still out on the Raiders since they've only played one game but they should handle the Big Green at home with relative ease if they're as good as the preseason talk would indicate.

Lehigh 35 Princeton 17- Princeton suffered heavy graduation losses from last years team and was picked to finish 6th in the Ivy this year. Lehigh has had the Tigers number and that should continue especially with Coen's knowledge of them. This is a true statement game heading into a bye week.

Cornell 38 Bucknell 10- Cornell is a pretty good Ivy League team and Bucknell is dreadful. Cornell won 24-7 last year and i think the Big Red will be better this year.

Pards Rule
September 12th, 2006, 08:17 AM
The Bison - could they lure Bill Russo out of retirement? Today marks the 25th anniversary of his first game at Lafayette and in respect of my good friend Ace In the Hole, I won't repeat that score.

Raider76
September 12th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Holy Cross will be tougher than most think. Penn will beat Lafayette by 10 and I would agree with the rest.

Pards Rule
September 12th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Penn will beat Lafayette by 10 and I would agree with the rest.

NO! ITS OUR TIME NOW! 15 YEARS IS TOO LONG! WE GOT A PROGRAM HERE!

Pard4Life
September 12th, 2006, 11:50 AM
NO! ITS OUR TIME NOW! 15 YEARS IS TOO LONG! WE GOT A PROGRAM HERE!

Eaaaasy Pard... we have to beat the big Ivies first to prove for sure we have arrived this season. Penn is no cupcake and we should be happy to win this one.

Raider76
September 12th, 2006, 12:25 PM
wooo big fella. Lets not get ahead of youself. Talking trash against a team that you have shown no ability to beat is a bit presumptuous.

LCFan21
September 12th, 2006, 12:50 PM
This game will be close - Upenn returns 10 All Ivy players - 4 of which are the front seven on D - they have good size and experience on both lines - Joe Sanburg is an excellent Sr. RB who can hurt you with the run and the pass - They also have experience at WR and TE - The QB Walker will get his first start but did see some action last year and put up decent numbers when he played - the Penn secondary is young but Sr. All Ivy safety will return - This team will play nothing like the Leopards first two opponents so I expect a very...very competitive game and close outcome that could end up either way. Lafayette does have the advantage of two "tune ups" for this one so I will take them to come back late and win by 3.

Pards Rule
September 12th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Hey I'm charged up for this game! We have not beaten Penn in 15 years. I am not getting ahead of myself as I am only focused on this game. And where am I talking trash? We got a program now - nothing like in 2000 eras when we were hobbled by the foolish revaluation of the football program in the height of recruiting season. That's not trash - it's truth!

carney2
September 12th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Penn will beat Lafayette by 10

That will be me in the east end zone wearing a gasoline suit and striking a match.