PDA

View Full Version : CAA Television Schedule

LoneStar
July 15th, 2013, 03:54 PM
According to the CAA Website the televised games will be announced Wednesday.

Seawolf97
July 15th, 2013, 07:50 PM
Excellent -Thanks

NHwildEcat
July 16th, 2013, 07:20 AM
Yeah I sent them a tweet last Friday asking this very question. They surprisingly responded with this very news. Looking forward to the release!

bluehenbillk
July 17th, 2013, 02:03 PM
well....... :(

ElonFirefighter
July 17th, 2013, 02:23 PM

there are still 8 and a half hours left in wednesday

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 17th, 2013, 04:59 PM

My thoughts exactly xbangx

LoneStar
July 17th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Good lord, they are pushing the release to tomorrow according to the website.

Seawolf97
July 17th, 2013, 06:25 PM
They are stretching it -LOL

NHwildEcat
July 18th, 2013, 07:21 AM
Maybe they are waiting to see if they get nominated for an Emmy first? lol

bluehenbillk
July 18th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Talking to people last night in the industry on a purely speculative basis they suggested if the smoke could be signs of discontent with one or both of the leagues TV partners.....

danefan
July 18th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Talking to people last night in the industry on a purely speculative basis they suggested if the smoke could be signs of discontent with one or both of the leagues TV partners.....

I was wondering if the league wasn't happy with the games selected and they were negotiating.

bluehenbillk
July 18th, 2013, 10:11 AM
I was wondering if the league wasn't happy with the games selected and they were negotiating.

That was one thing that came up, the other was the contract the CAA entered into last year & the tremendous competitive drop the league has experienced on the hoops side. Most likely it's not what games are on what networks though as NBCSN & Comcast are essentially one in the same.

If it's like last year look for a heavy dose of JMU, UD, TU & W&M on the NBC games as they are CAA all-sports teams. That's how it worked last year anyway, with ODU added in, that was still in the league at the time, even though they were on their way out.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 18th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Per the CAA football's TV contract, who's Yeager going to advocate for more in terms of football teams - all-sports members like JMU, whom he needs to keep placated/happy, or AE teams that are competitors for airtime come basketball season?

Nah, nobody could have predicted this issue... xrolleyesx

ccd494
July 18th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Per the CAA football's TV contract, who's Yeager going to advocate for more in terms of football teams - all-sports members like JMU, whom he needs to keep placated/happy, or AE teams that are competitors for airtime come basketball season?

Nah, nobody could have predicted this issue... xrolleyesx

Except those AE teams need to be kept happy so they don't take their ball and go home, leaving him with JMU (flight risk), Delaware, Villanova, Towson and William & Mary. Plus Elon I guess.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 18th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Except those AE teams need to be kept happy so they don't take their ball and go home, leaving him with JMU (flight risk), Delaware, Villanova, Towson and William & Mary. Plus Elon I guess.

+1. It's an interesting balancing act.

bluehenbillk
July 18th, 2013, 11:21 AM
http://www.caasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8500&ATCLID=208731760#.UegTcvyfoD0.twitter

A lot to do about nothing - they only announced the 5 NBC games again. All 5 games involve a all-sport member. DelState, UNH, UR & VU thrown in there once as well. The Virginia bias continues as well.

andy7171
July 18th, 2013, 11:36 AM
TV loves Unitas Stadium!

Lehigh Football Nation
July 18th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Delaware State > W&M in the TV deal?

danefan
July 18th, 2013, 11:42 AM
What a BS schedule. JMU with three games.

yorkcountyUNHfan
July 18th, 2013, 12:03 PM
What a BS schedule. JMU with three games.

What's even more surprising is that two of those JMU games are on the road.
I figured the CAA would want to show off the nicest venues...JMU @ UNH?!

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled they are doing a game in Durham but it does make one wonder

Lehigh Football Nation
July 18th, 2013, 12:22 PM
Saturday, Nov. 23 James Madison at Towson 3:30 p.m. NBCSN

This is the one that's the real head-scratcher. While both teams are probably contenders for the CAA championship and/or at-large playoff spots, you have Richmond/W&M right there on the same day, the rivalry game that would have at least given W&M a game. You also have Delaware/Nova, but they at least have other games on the schedule. And both of those games have lots more history than JMU/Towson.

This is also Towson's SECOND home game on the schedule...

Tellingly, too, W&M had this game as a game time TBD as of earlier this week (I believe).

danefan
July 18th, 2013, 12:23 PM
JMU on the road makes no sense.

They're picked to finish middle of the CAA pack and there's a 50/50 chance they will be posting a CUSA logo on their website before these games are even played.

Perhaps that was the hangup from the league office? Wanting JMU to confirm before they agreed to put them on TV under the CAA package 3 times?

UNHWildcat18
July 18th, 2013, 12:54 PM
I really dont see how JMU is in 3 games... what about the DU VU game????? what about the ALB/SBU game?????? MAINE UNH????? Richmond vs W&M why is this literally wherever JMU goes and DSTATE and DU ARE YOU KIDDING ME????? I'm very happy about a game being at UNH but seriously...

UNHWildcat18
July 18th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Towson vs JMU, Delaware vs Villanova, Albany vs SBU, Maine vs UNH, Richmond vs jmu or W&M how hard is that.

catbob
July 18th, 2013, 01:51 PM
You want the teams with the largest fanbases on the road. Because all those fans will tune in.

danefan
July 18th, 2013, 01:54 PM
You want the teams with the largest fanbases on the road. Because all those fans will tune in.

Good point from a TV programming perspective.

Top Dawg
July 18th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Towson vs JMU, Delaware vs Villanova, Albany vs SBU, Maine vs UNH, Richmond vs jmu or W&M how hard is that.
Towson vs JMU, Delaware vs Villanova, Albany vs SBU, and Richmond vs W&M are all the same day, correct? A doubleheader, yes, but I don't think they could do more than that. Don't get me wrong, even as a JMU fan, it is a head scratcher, but it isn't necessarily just that easy.

Regarding wanting larger fans bases on the road for increased viewership, I don't think any of the teams have large enough draws for that to make any significant difference. Also, from the other point of view, wouldn't you want to showcase your larger stadiums filled with fans (or at least mostly filled, hopefully!).

LeadBolt
July 18th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Disappointing.

ccd494
July 18th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Unsurprised to not have a Maine home game, but disappointed to not see the Bears on the road.

Maine-UNH can always get picked up by Comcast New England, correct? The NBCSN contract isn't exclusive, is it?

danefan
July 18th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Unsurprised to not have a Maine home game, but disappointed to not see the Bears on the road.

Maine-UNH can always get picked up by Comcast New England, correct? The NBCSN contract isn't exclusive, is it?

Comcast owns NBC....definitely not exclusive.

andy7171
July 18th, 2013, 03:36 PM
I'm perfectly fine with the schedule, whats up with all you guys? :D

TU @ JMT was one of the games last year and JMU won in the last seconds. So was UD vs DSU.

TV loves Unitas. Always has, even in the dark years.

URMite
July 18th, 2013, 04:08 PM

There are 13 Comcast regional games yet to be announced.

UNHWildcat18
July 18th, 2013, 05:36 PM
Towson vs JMU, Delaware vs Villanova, Albany vs SBU, and Richmond vs W&M are all the same day, correct? A doubleheader, yes, but I don't think they could do more than that. Don't get me wrong, even as a JMU fan, it is a head scratcher, but it isn't necessarily just that easy.

Regarding wanting larger fans bases on the road for increased viewership, I don't think any of the teams have large enough draws for that to make any significant difference. Also, from the other point of view, wouldn't you want to showcase your larger stadiums filled with fans (or at least mostly filled, hopefully!).

Okay that is one thing if they are all the same week but JMU getting 3 games and dsu and ud being one is a joke

HailSzczur
July 18th, 2013, 06:15 PM
At least the one Nova game that's on TV is an away game so it benefits me. Kinda surprised that Nova/UDel didn't get the nod, especially being at PPL. I'm sure we'll get afew games of local coverage on CSN or TCN.

It's not on there because it's not a NBC game, but Nova's opener against BC is on ESPN News.

melloware13
July 18th, 2013, 06:25 PM
At least the one Nova game that's on TV is an away game so it benefits me. Kinda surprised that Nova/UDel didn't get the nod, especially being at PPL. I'm sure we'll get afew games of local coverage on CSN or TCN.

It's not on there because it's not a NBC game, but Nova's opener against BC is on ESPN News.

Where have you seen that the game is at PPL this season? Everywhere I've seen has it in Radnor Twp.

bluehenbillk
July 18th, 2013, 07:21 PM
It's at PPL.

HailSzczur
July 18th, 2013, 08:00 PM
It's at PPL.

If bluehenbillk says it, it has to be true. But here's another link http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/SBNation_20130612_Villanova_football_returns_to_PP L_Park_against_Delaware_this_Fall.html

NHwildEcat
July 19th, 2013, 07:09 AM

I would expect no less from CSN-NE. That game will in all likelihood make thier schedule.

bluehenbillk
July 19th, 2013, 07:32 AM
If bluehenbillk says it, it has to be true. But here's another link http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/SBNation_20130612_Villanova_football_returns_to_PP L_Park_against_Delaware_this_Fall.html

VU's website officially has it at PPL as well.

LeadBolt
July 19th, 2013, 10:05 AM
There are 13 Comcast regional games yet to be announced.

Those really don't benefit those of us who live outside of the region, or have other TV services...

NHwildEcat
July 19th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Those really don't benefit those of us who live outside of the region, or have other TV services...

Then it comes down to providing each respective school with presure to at least produce in house coverage of their teams to broadcast to their fans across the nation. Being smaller and less covered schools, the institutions need to handle it themselves. If they don't take themselves seriously, why would the national media?

LeadBolt
July 19th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Then it comes down to providing each respective school with presure to at least produce in house coverage of their teams to broadcast to their fans across the nation. Being smaller and less covered schools, the institutions need to handle it themselves. If they don't take themselves seriously, why would the national media?

One of the disadvantages of going to a nationally recognized, smaller university like W&M rather than a small regional university like UNH then...

Lehigh Football Nation
July 19th, 2013, 11:54 AM
I know WBAI has carried Maine games in the past (not sure about this season). One thing that I've always wondered: how come UNH doesn't have a station carry their games? Is there a local affiliate in Nashua that does, or something?

Holy Cross has a local station TV 3 (I think) that is a cable station that carries their games. For that matter, Service Electric 2 (a cable station as well) carries Lehigh, and Time Warner has a local affiliate that carries Colgate games. Lafayette has their own impressive TV setup as well.

andy7171
July 19th, 2013, 12:01 PM
The TV Game Commentary for Maine games is hilarious. Its a very strange thing to want to laugh and get lulled to sleep at the same time.

ccd494
July 19th, 2013, 12:22 PM
The TV Game Commentary for Maine games is hilarious. Its a very strange thing to want to laugh and get lulled to sleep at the same time.

Luckily, Maine has a new contract with the local ABC/Fox station, instead of WABI (CBS), which means the geezers can return to the rest home. Plus all games will now be in HD. Only three games will be broadcast this season, which is fine.

danefan
July 19th, 2013, 12:24 PM

They had some awesome quotes last year during the game about how Albany can succeed in the CAA because we have extra scholarships for "inner city" kids????

Hale and Abbott - entertainment above and beyond a mere football game.

andy7171
July 19th, 2013, 12:58 PM
They had some awesome quotes last year during the game about how Albany can succeed in the CAA because we have extra scholarships for "inner city" kids????

Hale and Abbott - entertainment above and beyond a mere football game.

When Towson played them two years ago the kept calling Terrance West "Terry". He doesn't go by that, but they reffered to Terry, just Terry. Whole game long, like they were long time friends.

bluehenbillk
July 22nd, 2013, 08:36 AM
Here's the remainder of the CAA TV schedule:

http://www.caasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8500&ATCLID=208495862

DFW HOYA
July 22nd, 2013, 08:40 AM

That's only practical when there is a RTVF major or component within the school (Radio/TV/Film) that supports the infrastructure for media production. Most liberal arts schools don't offer this.

The best case scenario is what Lafayette does, but that's a unique case.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 22nd, 2013, 08:45 AM
The 2013 CAA Football television schedule was further enhanced on Monday when it was announced that an exciting slate of 13 games are set to air this season on NBC Sports Regional Networks, including Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic, Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia and Comcast SportsNet New England.

This is not a knock on the CAA, but why are the former Comcast Networks calling themselves NBC Sports Regional Networks? I think that's unnecessarily confusing to people. If they're going to call Vs. NBC Sports Network and the group NBC Sports Regional Networks, they should also rename the Comcast networks NBC Sports Regional Mid-Atlantic, NBC Sports Regional Philadelphia, etc.

bluehenbillk
July 22nd, 2013, 08:47 AM
This is not a knock on the CAA, but why are the former Comcast Networks calling themselves NBC Sports Regional Networks? I think that's unnecessarily confusing to people. If they're going to call Vs. NBC Sports Network and the group NBC Sports Regional Networks, they should also rename the Comcast networks NBC Sports Regional Mid-Atlantic, NBC Sports Regional Philadelphia, etc.

They've been using the NBC logo for more than a year now on CSN Philly, just branding I guess.

Sly Fox
July 22nd, 2013, 09:26 AM
That's only practical when there is a RTVF major or component within the school (Radio/TV/Film) that supports the infrastructure for media production. Most liberal arts schools don't offer this.

The best case scenario is what Lafayette does, but that's a unique case.

I take it you are not familiar with what Liberty does through its Liberty Flames Sports Network. It is impressive what Lafayette pulls off on such a shoestring budget, but it is nowhere near the production that Liberty produces itself and runs on multiple cable networks globally. And we're just a private school in the lowly Big South.

NHwildEcat
July 22nd, 2013, 09:30 AM
I know WBAI has carried Maine games in the past (not sure about this season). One thing that I've always wondered: how come UNH doesn't have a station carry their games? Is there a local affiliate in Nashua that does, or something?

Holy Cross has a local station TV 3 (I think) that is a cable station that carries their games. For that matter, Service Electric 2 (a cable station as well) carries Lehigh, and Time Warner has a local affiliate that carries Colgate games. Lafayette has their own impressive TV setup as well.

UNH has had agreements over the past couple years for basketball and hockey to air on WBIN-TV out of Derry, NH. For some reason nothing for football other then the deals the conference has set up. Long ago, if I can even recall they would have games air on NH Public TV. But funding for hat has been sliced more than in half so they do not really broadcast anything locally anymore. UNH has video of all their games, so it is possible to view them. You just have to lower any expectations to an extremely low level. I'd rather listen on the radio then watch a web stream personally.

NHwildEcat
July 22nd, 2013, 09:31 AM
I take it you are not familiar with what Liberty does through its Liberty Flames Sports Network. It is impressive what Lafayette pulls off on such a shoestring budget, but it is nowhere near the production that Liberty produces itself and runs on multiple cable networks globally. And we're just a private school in the lowly Big South.

This is because Libert wants to do it. The schools that don't make it work or do it half assed simply don't want to do it. Good for Liberty!

DFW HOYA
July 22nd, 2013, 09:59 AM

I am not as familiar with Liberty and have never seen a Liberty game broadcast via DirecTV here in the Southwest. By contrast, 2 or 3 Lafayette games a year get carriage on the DirecTV sports packages through Fox Sports Pittsburgh or MASN so I have seen them more frequently.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 22nd, 2013, 10:06 AM
I am not as familiar with Liberty and have never seen a Liberty game broadcast via DirecTV here in the Southwest. By contrast, 2 or 3 Lafayette games a year get carriage on the DirecTV sports packages through Fox Sports Pittsburgh or MASN so I have seen them more frequently.

If memory serves Liberty LSN games sometimes find their way on MASN. Also, FamilyNet (which was available as a part of my basic FiOS package) in the past had broadcast the games as well. I think that's still in place, but I'm not sure. It might be on tape-delay.

andy7171
July 22nd, 2013, 11:34 AM
If memory serves Liberty LSN games sometimes find their way on MASN. Also, FamilyNet (which was available as a part of my basic FiOS package) in the past had broadcast the games as well. I think that's still in place, but I'm not sure. It might be on tape-delay.

I've seen tape delayed Liberty games on MASN. They also have a morning show on the weekends, like 1/2 hour.

danefan
July 22nd, 2013, 11:51 AM
Does this mean these games are on all the regional networks? Or, for example, is the Rhode Island @ Albany game only on Comcast SportsNet New England.

Great Dane in VA
July 22nd, 2013, 12:28 PM
Does this mean these games are on all the regional networks? Or, for example, is the Rhode Island @ Albany game only on Comcast SportsNet New England.

Have you streamed the games on Neulion? I was wondering how the quality is, if its worth it to get the subscription for this school year. I normal just stream Fox 980's feed but if video is an option I might go that route.

danefan
July 22nd, 2013, 12:46 PM
Have you streamed the games on Neulion? I was wondering how the quality is, if its worth it to get the subscription for this school year. I normal just stream Fox 980's feed but if video is an option I might go that route.

Danezone has sucked in the past.

Great Dane in VA
July 22nd, 2013, 02:40 PM
Danezone has sucked in the past.

I was afraid you were going to say that. I had used it way back when it was free and it was horrible then. I was hoping that it had improved, too bad.

Sly Fox
July 22nd, 2013, 04:22 PM

Every Liberty game has been available live on DirecTV here in Texas for years and years. I usually watch them on Uverse or Xfinity but they are available everywhere. I am not sure which group of networks will be carrying the Liberty games this fall. But there are generally at least 3 or 4 nets for most games. We are currently transitioning from SD to HD. Ask the Montana guys about our feed. We produced and fed all their networks including Root last year from the game at Missoula. Yeah, we were at Missoula doing it ourselves with a full crew.

danefan
July 22nd, 2013, 04:23 PM
I was afraid you were going to say that. I had used it way back when it was free and it was horrible then. I was hoping that it had improved, too bad.

I'm hoping that the need to get multiple angles for the HD video board will force their hand with Danezone. We'll see though. Can only go up from the past.

ecasadoSBU
July 22nd, 2013, 05:24 PM

Must admit that LFSN was awesome. I watched multiple games in the LFSN. they do a hell of a job down there (despite having homers as commentators, which is expected. lol). The Stony Brook vs Liberty games were often streamed on LFSN/ESPN3 and I have no complaints about them. I wish my school (SBU) does something similar in the near future.

Over the past two years Stony Brook has streamed numerous in-house production M&W basketball games (using PACK Network) over Optimum Local CH 118 for Long Island residents but I'm still waiting for a regional in-house streaming service to be announced (if ever) for football games. I'm hopeful. Lets go Seawolves and best of luck to the Flames this upcoming season