PDA

View Full Version : APP State's new facilities

tarmac
September 9th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Latest renderings of football stadium and baseball field released today.

http://goasu.com/page/31

The Cats
September 9th, 2006, 11:01 PM
Looks great. Will the stadium be ready for us next year?

tarmac
September 10th, 2006, 07:00 AM
Construction of the baseball field started a few weeks ago. When it is ready the new indoor practice facility and conversion of the old baseball field to a softball field will begin. When that is done the new grandstand building will be started. Its going to be a year or two. This is the third major revision on the plans, would not be surprised to see another.

Saint3333
September 10th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Construction is to begin at the end of this season, can it be ready by next season, maybe, but I'd bet it will not open until 2008. By that time if attendance continues to be above 20K+ we'll have to build up the East stands as well.

SoCon48
September 10th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Construction is to begin at the end of this season, can it be ready by next season, maybe, but I'd bet it will not open until 2008. By that time if attendance continues to be above 20K+ we'll have to build up the East stands as well.

So they changed the start from mid season to end of season? or was that simply a mistaken post on the MMB?

JMU2004
September 10th, 2006, 11:34 PM
looks nice.....

JMU is expanding to 25,000 with a new press box/luxury box...ultimate aim is 50,000 by 2020

JMU an ASU should stay linked

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2006, 11:42 PM
looks nice.....

JMU is expanding to 25,000 with a new press box/luxury box...ultimate aim is 50,000 by 2020

JMU an ASU should stay linked

What does Virginia and Virginia Tech think about JMU's expansion? If there are plans to have a 50,000 seat stadium in 14 years, not that long, the ball must really be rolling towards something. I drove past JMU's stadium a couple years ago on my way to Martinsville for a race and i have a tough time seeing a 50,000 seat stadium there. If i remember right isn't stadium right up against interstate 81?

JMU2004
September 11th, 2006, 12:02 AM
What does Virginia and Virginia Tech think about JMU's expansion? If there are plans to have a 50,000 seat stadium in 14 years, not that long, the ball must really be rolling towards something. I drove past JMU's stadium a couple years ago on my way to Martinsville for a race and i have a tough time seeing a 50,000 seat stadium there. If i remember right isn't stadium right up against interstate 81?

to be honest, the only sure thing is an expansion to 20,00-25,000.... Beyond that, to use ASU lingo,..... is to expand only if demand exists. JMU will continue to invest to have the best I-AA facilities available!

The ball is certainly rolling! JMU has spent at least 14 million on football facilities since 2003, and another 10 million was just allocated for a new expansion!

I honestly do not know how we would expand to 50,000....we would have to bowl in the endzone and then double deck the entire stadium as far as I can tell.

And, finally, VT and UVa would probably hate JMU moving up. UVa is falling fast already

KiddBrewer
September 11th, 2006, 12:08 AM
i do not forsee attendance dropping much below 20,000 anytime soon...with that being said, and with all this money being spent, what kind of odds, if any do you all believe app has of moving up to I-A.....or whatever they call it now, and if you believe they will, what kind of time table do you find realistic? Just wondering.

KiddBrewer
September 11th, 2006, 12:08 AM
I have my own opinions, but dont want to sound stupid before getting others opinions first.

youwouldno
September 11th, 2006, 12:16 AM
So App and JMU will have top of the line I-AA facilities. I got news for ya, that's a LOT different than solid I-A facilities. Everyone either is, or should be sick of stupid I-A talk, JMU being the next Va Tech, etc. It's all fantasy. If UVA can't compete in football, do you seriously think the VA legislature, which is overflowing with UVA alumni, is going to let JMU go I-A? Is that some kind of joke? Not to mention there still is no conference for all the I-A wannabees to go. And App St... look at their state. NC State and UNC suck, ECU, Wake, Duke all suck, and App St can field a good I-A team in that state? Please.

ASU Kep
September 11th, 2006, 02:00 AM
North Carolina puts out a lot of talent on the football field. Most of the best go elsewhere (Clemson, USC, etc.) and I think a lot of it has to do with not wanting to play football at a "basketball school." Say what you want about App, but there is little doubt we are a "football school." We're also located in a beautiful area, have lots of diehard fans, and a history of success on the field. Our facilities will be the best in I-AA in a few years and could hold their own with most of the smaller I-A schools. We've got decent exposure now and that would only obviously improve with a jump to I-A. IMHO, App would be a competitive I-A team almost right off the bat. We have the potential.
With all that said, I'd actually prefer it if we stayed I-AA at least the next five years or so and truly had a plan in place for the move. Making the jump just to do it can be disastorous. The Sun Belt is not somewhere I ever want to see ASU.

KiddBrewer
September 11th, 2006, 02:06 AM
right now the dote kep, i say atleast 5-10......theres bad history of teams that make big moves without big plans. but there is definately a potential to be competative, theres a feeling about football around here that i havent seen at many places, and ive lived in clemson, sc and been to 20+ tennessee games........if the facilities and money are here, I-A football can be competitive here, because the fans and atmosphere will be here.

KiddBrewer
September 11th, 2006, 02:12 AM
i bet there arent a majority of I-A football schools with a $4,000,000+ indoor football practice facility.....

KiddBrewer
September 11th, 2006, 02:17 AM
i bet theres not a majority of I-A football schools that are planning on throwin down $500,000+ for an indoor practice facility anytime soon....

youwouldno
September 11th, 2006, 02:28 AM
The big I-As schools don't even notice $500,000. That's like $1 for App St.

App St is never going to beat out NC State and UNC. That's just the way it is. Since even those schools are mediocre at best (though NC State has some past success), a move up for App is a commitment to mediocrity. Of course, they can do that if they want, but don't pretend its about being competitive.

It's just a matter of jealousy among App fans, where they would rather be a mid-major I-A than a top I-AA. No real football fan would want that.

SoCon48
September 11th, 2006, 07:25 AM
North Carolina puts out a lot of talent on the football field. Most of the best go elsewhere (Clemson, USC, etc.) and I think a lot of it has to do with not wanting to play football at a "basketball school." Say what you want about App, but there is little doubt we are a "football school." We're also located in a beautiful area, have lots of diehard fans, and a history of success on the field. Our facilities will be the best in I-AA in a few years and could hold their own with most of the smaller I-A schools. We've got decent exposure now and that would only obviously improve with a jump to I-A. IMHO, App would be a competitive I-A team almost right off the bat. We have the potential.
With all that said, I'd actually prefer it if we stayed I-AA at least the next five years or so and truly had a plan in place for the move. Making the jump just to do it can be disastorous. The Sun Belt is not somewhere I ever want to see ASU.

Say what you want about App, but there is little doubt we are a "football school."

And according to most SoCon fans, it seems, stuck in a freakin' baseball conference.:eek: :eek:

KiddBrewer
September 11th, 2006, 09:40 AM
App St is never going to beat out NC State and UNC. That's just the way it is. Since even those schools are mediocre at best (though NC State has some past success), a move up for App is a commitment to mediocrity.

just because other schools are okay with mediocre, doesnt mean the state has to be. if a college is okay with being mediocre in athletics, then they will be just that. but its not fair to say that one is all and all are one.

KiddBrewer
September 11th, 2006, 09:42 AM
and if you say that nc states facilities are mediocre, id like to know what is considered top of the line.