PDA

View Full Version : Best DB's in I-AA

TheGateway
June 8th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Who do you think are some of the best DB's??? Just curious

colgate13
June 8th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Geoff Bean, SS from Colgate made a name for himself as a sophomore last year. We expect even better things from him in the fall. He should be a name to remember.

He had 6 interceptions, second on the team in tackles including 3 for a loss and had 4 fumble recoveries. He's around the ball at all the right times! Great head on his shoulders.

umassfan
June 8th, 2005, 02:57 PM
UMass FS Shannon James... A10 D player of the year last year as a JR

UMass has one of the best secondarys as a whole in I-AA as well with these starters:

Shannon James FS
Tracy Belton CB
Steve Costello CB
James Ihedigbo SS

Not many teams will pass well on this group... just ask Santos from UNH

Kosty
June 8th, 2005, 03:01 PM
I'd have to say that Shannon is one of the top 5 if not the best D back in 1-AA right?? Didn't he lead the nation in INTs last year or something like that?

Ronbo
June 8th, 2005, 03:19 PM
2004 Rankings, returning DB's

Shannon James, Massachusetts, 8 ints
Allante Harrison, Towson, 7 ints
Darren Barnett, Southwest Mo. St., 7 ints
Ken Chicoine, Cal Poly, 7 ints
Antonio Thomas, Western Ky., 7 ints
Kevin Edwards, Montana, 6 ints
Tony Smith, Wagner, 6 ints
Geoff Bean, Colgate, 6 ints
Quinton Teal, Coastal Caro., 6 ints
A.J. Bryant, Ga. Southern, 6 ints

kats89
June 8th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Greg Brown, 5-11 190, Sr.

had a solid year last year. Got hurt in the Montana game with a neck injury and weren't sure if he would return this year, but HE IS BACK!!!!

thadude45
June 8th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Are you kidding me David Pittman(Northwestern State) is by far the best Corner in I-AA that I have seen.

ncbears
June 8th, 2005, 04:41 PM
UNC's Reed Doughty must be added to this list.

justballn21
June 8th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Holy Cross has got two promising soph safeties in Kenny Flanders (SS) and Obie Green (FS). Both started most games last year, while Flanders won PL rookie of the week twice. May not be the most experienced, but definitely an athletic duo.

JMU Duke Dog
June 8th, 2005, 04:52 PM
How can you all forget about JMU's freesafety Tony LeZotte who was the A10's Co-Rookie of the Year in 2004?

Tony LeZotte - James Madison
Sophomore, FS, 6-0, 175 lbs., Augusta, GA/Westside HS
LeZotte led the Atlantic 10 Conference in 2004 with 144 tackles, the most by a freshman in James Madison history...the three-time Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week selection reached double-digits in tackles six times this season and also intercepted a pair of passes...is the first James Madison standout to garner Rookie of the Year honors...in addition to his Rookie of the Year honors, LeZotte is the first A-10 freshman to earn first-team All-Conference acclaim since former Boston University offensive lineman Bob Speight in 1978.

http://www.jmusports.com/images/PlayerCards/2_116_Left.jpg

TxState_GO_CATS!
June 8th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Are you kidding me David Pittman(Northwestern State) is by far the best Corner in I-AA that I have seen.

I agree. He's crazy.

eagleskins
June 8th, 2005, 06:21 PM
I think GSU has two of them. AJ Bryant and Terrence McBride.

SoCon48
June 8th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Have to toss in ASU's Corey Lynch. 6'0" 200 # as a possible.
Missed almost the entire '04 season due to injury.
But as a freshman he led the SoCon in interceptions with 6, 4 fumble recoveries.
12 tackles, fumble recovery, and a 28 yd interception return vs Georgia Southern his freshman year. :D

Pantherpower
June 8th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Dre Dokes will only be a JR and is coming off a fine SO 1st team all-conference performance for the Panthers. He will be a shut-down corner for UNI. :)

Gil Dobie
June 8th, 2005, 09:29 PM
SS Craig Dahl North Dakota State

3 Interceptions
5 Pass Breakups
3 Fumble Recoveries
1 Sack
4 Tackles for Losses
44 Solo Tackles
82 Total Tackles

All-Great West Defensive First Team
Academic All-Great West 3.40 (Mechanical Engineering)

Tribe4SF
June 8th, 2005, 10:11 PM
CB Steven Cason, 6' 202, Sr.

Tribe4SF
June 8th, 2005, 10:27 PM
FS James Miller, 6'1" 195, Sr.

ngineer
June 8th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Lehigh's Kaloma Cardwell should be a Buchannan nominee. I terrific hitter at free safety, he has been a captain for two years on the team. He broke his ankle in the seventh game last season and still made second team All-Patriot and was second on the team in tackles. Had 3 INTs in his abbreviated season. Most teams try to avoid his area.

kats89
June 9th, 2005, 12:49 AM

xlolx

saint0917
June 9th, 2005, 06:32 AM
I'd have to say that Shannon is one of the top 5 if not the best D back in 1-AA right?? Didn't he lead the nation in INTs last year or something like that?

He was second in the Country

A. Trueado-Southern- 9
S. James- Umass- 8
T. Kornegay-Fordham-8
K. Chicoine-Cal Poly- 7
A. Harrison-Towson-7

blueballs
June 9th, 2005, 09:44 AM
I think GSU has two of them. AJ Bryant and Terrence McBride.

GSU's secondary will be among the very best in the country again this year with Bryant at FS, 3 year starters McBride and Lewis Barr at the corners, and another returning starter Tariq Muhammed at SS. All four are all conference quality and Bryant and McBride should compete for AA honors.

CosmoVixen24
June 11th, 2005, 12:51 PM

Yeah, he's pretty good. I was impressed with him when UNC played us.

Cocky
June 11th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Craig Agee of JSU could be a good CB. He will be moving over from WR this year. He was would of the leading punt returners last year. He is a great talent but will the move work?

VictorG
June 11th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Someone please bring up this topic after next year! The Griz had a terrible secondary for most of last year because everyone of them was a Freshman or Sophomore. (except Edwards). For many, it was a new position for them!

The whole unit was young and suffered growing pains. Towards the end of the year they started to gel and made great strides in their skills. It will be interesting to see if the gains continue! (I think they will!)

Hansel
June 11th, 2005, 08:47 PM
He was probably the MVP of the NDSU-UNC game last year

Kill'em
June 11th, 2005, 09:45 PM
A. J. Bryant is a terriffic talent. He led the conference in INT's and is a serious NFL prospect. The beauty is he has never started a game in college. McBride is a very solid back. Barr could be a star but his mental lapses returning kicks have ruined his stock.