PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Preseason Poll (Idaho State Journal)

darell1976
July 6th, 2013, 10:27 PM
http://pocatelloshops.com/new_blogs/chase/?p=591

1. Montana State
2. Eastern Washington
3. Montana
4. Northern Arizona
5. Cal Poly
6. Southern Utah
7. Northern Colorado
8. Sacramento State
9. North Dakota
10. Portland State
11. UC Davis
12. Weber State
13. Idaho State

UND has a lot to prove in 2013. Questions on defense and on their freshmen quarterbacks. UND will host the top 3 teams in this poll.

BisonFan02
July 6th, 2013, 11:04 PM
5. Cal Poly

I've said this in a few other threads regarding preseason polls, but what am I missing here? My understanding, I don't believe Poly loses much of anything from last year's squad...that's correct right? With how many preseason polls have them so low (and now this poll), I guess you have to say they are at least a "dark horse" going into next season.

JSUBison
July 7th, 2013, 12:14 AM
This guy covers Idaho State? Bless his heart, what an unenviable job he has. MSU, UNC, and UNA are too high. Poly and Davis too low. But having a 13 team league where everybody doesn't play each other is a nightmare in trying to make a poll. I couldn't tell you who plays a tough schedule and who has it easy, so maybe he's dead on.

slostang
July 7th, 2013, 01:41 AM
5. Cal Poly

I've said this in a few other threads regarding preseason polls, but what am I missing here? My understanding, I don't believe Poly loses much of anything from last year's squad...that's correct right? With how many preseason polls have them so low (and now this poll), I guess you have to say they are at least a "dark horse" going into next season.

Cal Poly returns 18 starters. Unfortunately they do have to replace departing QB Andre Broadous and 1,500+ yard rusher Deonte Williams.

We will miss the experience at QB, but have some very talented QB vying to replace Broadous. Tanner Trosin set the CA state HS record for passing yards in a single season (5,185 yards - 49 TDs. Rushed for 1,179 yards and 20 TDs). Air Force transfer Dano Graves was a Maxpreps National POY and set the CA state record for passing TDs in a season (62) and passed for 3,702 yards while rushing for 994 yards and 24 TDs leading Folsom HS to a state championship.

Replacing Williams at RB will be Kristaan Ivory who rushed for 728 yards and scored 10 TDs in 2012. Ivory averaged 6.7 yards a carry compared to Williams 6.5 so I think we are in capable ands at RB.

Wallace
July 7th, 2013, 05:36 AM
Cal Poly returns 18 starters. Unfortunately they do have to replace departing QB Andre Broadous and 1,500+ yard rusher Deonte Williams.

We will miss the experience at QB, but have some very talented QB vying to replace Broadous. Tanner Trosin set the CA state HS record for passing yards in a single season (5,185 yards - 49 TDs. Rushed for 1,179 yards and 20 TDs). Air Force transfer Dano Graves was a Maxpreps National POY and set the CA state record for passing TDs in a season (62) and passed for 3,702 yards while rushing for 994 yards and 24 TDs leading Folsom HS to a state championship.

Replacing Williams at RB will be Kristaan Ivory who rushed for 728 yards and scored 10 TDs in 2012. Ivory averaged 6.7 yards a carry compared to Williams 6.5 so I think we are in capable ands at RB.

read slostang, he knows

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 7th, 2013, 07:48 AM
http://pocatelloshops.com/new_blogs/chase/?p=591

UND has a lot to prove in 2013. Questions on defense and on their freshmen quarterbacks. UND will host the top 3 teams in this poll.

Both Cal Poly and UND are too low.

Cal Poly's defense will be tough as nails and if UND can win 5 or 6 home games they will be towards the top of the league also.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 7th, 2013, 09:29 AM
Both Cal Poly and UND are too low.

Cal Poly's defense will be tough as nails and if UND can win 5 or 6 homes they will be towards the top of the league also.

I completely agree.

Cal Poly is my pick to win the league. UND has a great chance to finish in the Top 5 imo.

My Top 5 would be...
1. Cal Poly
2. MSU
3. EWU
4. Montana
5. UND

UNDColorado
July 7th, 2013, 10:46 AM
I completely agree.

Cal Poly is my pick to win the league. UND has a great chance to finish in the Top 5 imo.

My Top 5 would be...
1. Cal Poly
2. MSU
3. EWU
4. Montana
5. UND

This is more like it. UND is not realistically anywhere above a 5 right now but nine is a bit low. Poly is underrated as well. I am just happy that we don't play Poly this year because even though they lost their QB, the defense has been stellar and I don't think that changes this year.

frozennorth
July 7th, 2013, 02:08 PM
UND is a middle of the pack team this year, and could be anywhere from 4th to 10th imo.

I like EWU, CP, UM, NAU, MSU, in that order, and I think there is a bit of a gap between those teams, and the next 5, UND, PSU, SAC, SUU and NOCO. People shouldn't be so negative on NOCO, they've been improving every year.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 7th, 2013, 02:16 PM
UND is a middle of the pack team this year, and could be anywhere from 4th to 10th imo.

I like EWU, CP, UM, NAU, MSU, in that order, and I think there is a bit of a gap between those teams, and the next 5, UND, PSU, SAC, SUU and NOCO. People shouldn't be so negative on NOCO, they've been improving every year.

MSU in 5th? Their offense is going to be a little more explosive this year imo. My two biggest concerns would be the DL and a pretty tough schedule. Still, not sure i see the Bobcats finishing lower than 3rd.

frozennorth
July 7th, 2013, 02:34 PM
MSU in 5th? Their offense is going to be a little more explosive this year imo. My two biggest concerns would be the DL and a pretty tough schedule. Still, not sure i see the Bobcats finishing lower than 3rd.

There is a valid argument to be made that EWU, CP, NAU and UM are each better than MSU, so whats wrong with the opinion that they all might be better? I see them losing to SMU and EWU, and either and possibly both NAU and UM.

darell1976
July 7th, 2013, 02:56 PM
I completely agree.

My Top 5 would be...
1. Cal Poly
2. MSU
3. EWU
4. Montana
5. UND

UND should be around 5-7 until we start knocking off the big boys of the league. Was Montana's bad season last year a fluke? (They did give up 600 passing yards to UND) Will UND surrender 40+ points on defense like against MSU, EWU and PSU? Defense will be who wins the BSC.

CrazyCat
July 7th, 2013, 06:31 PM
There is a valid argument to be made that EWU, CP, NAU and UM are each better than MSU, so whats wrong with the opinion that they all might be better? I see them losing to SMU and EWU, and either and possibly both NAU and UM.

It's also valid that MSU could only lose to SMU.

Willie
July 7th, 2013, 11:59 PM
It's also valid that MSU could only lose to SMU.

That must be why you live in Warm Springs.xawesomex

Just bustin' balls. It is possible that they only lose one game. But I think Montana will be back to running the table.

CrazyCat
July 8th, 2013, 09:44 AM
That must be why you live in Warm Springs.xawesomex

Just bustin' balls. It is possible that they only lose one game. But I think Montana will be back to running the table.

It's possible......or is it ? http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~ssanty/cgi-bin/eightball.cgi

geaux_sioux
July 8th, 2013, 12:01 PM
UND was very close, if you actually watched the games, to being the third best team in the big sky last year. If the defense isn't terrible again UND could be back in business and give EWU and MSU a very good game.

Herder
July 8th, 2013, 12:07 PM
MSU has been pointing to 2013 for a few years. They are my pick to win it. I think EWU has more to prove than MSU this year. I have UND at 6 or 7 this year with Defense and QB play as questions. If UND's QBs play like Fresmen, they will need a punting game as the RB stable is pretty light. If there QB's can really throw it, they will move up. I think Monte would be top 3, but their coaching staff seems to be underachieving which isn't a good sign.

My Top 6 would be...
1. MSU
2. EWU
3. CP
4. Montana
5. N AZ
6. UND

darell1976
July 8th, 2013, 01:27 PM
MSU has been pointing to 2013 for a few years. They are my pick to win it. I think EWU has more to prove than MSU this year. I have UND at 6 or 7 this year with Defense and QB play as questions. If UND's QBs play like Fresmen, they will need a punting game as the RB stable is pretty light. If there QB's can really throw it, they will move up. I think Monte would be top 3, but their coaching staff seems to be underachieving which isn't a good sign.

My Top 6 would be...
1. MSU
2. EWU
3. CP
4. Montana
5. N AZ
6. UND

Your top 6 looks about right to me. I wouldn't put UND any higher.

UNDColorado
July 8th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Your top 6 looks about right to me. I wouldn't put UND any higher.

That's right, we don't deserve to be any higher until we prove it.

geaux_sioux
July 8th, 2013, 01:54 PM

The RB situation is alot brighter than most would think. I would take our 3rd and 4th RBs over our 1st and 2nd. Sparks and Shaugabay have shown flashes of being able to run between the tackles and actually break tackles. Garmin and Miller can't break tackles but are very shifty. If the coaches give them all a good amount of touches they will all have success and the running game will be back which will be a huge help to the FR QBs. Although those QBs look like men (230 lbs with big arms) they are still FR so the running game will be paramount to their success.

darell1976
July 8th, 2013, 01:59 PM
That's right, we don't deserve to be any higher until we prove it.

How do we prove it...by imitating Paul Bunyan and chop down the big trees in the conference..Montana (chop), Montana State (chop), Eastern Washington (chop). The only tree we won't face this season (at least until the playoffs) will be Cal Poly. One redwood at a time!

Sandlapper Spike
July 15th, 2013, 12:47 PM
I just came across the league's media and coach's polls, which I think technically are supposed to be released tomorrow but are out now.

http://www.bigskyconf.com/news/2013/7/12/FB_0712134535.aspx

Is the Big Sky football media day being held tomorrow in Park City?

MSUBobcat
July 15th, 2013, 01:18 PM
UND was very close, if you actually watched the games, to being the third best team in the big sky last year. If the defense isn't terrible again UND could be back in business and give EWU and MSU a very good game.

xlolx Very close to being the 3rd best team last year in what way? You beat a decent Sac St team pretty easily and squeaked by a very bad PSU team, a down UM team and an average SUU team. UND lost 5 games in conference. Maybe if the ball had bounced differently, they beat UNC (only lost by one), possibly NAU (though they took a 14 pt lead in the 4th). But UND was dominated by 3 teams. IMO, they were very close to being the 5th best team last year, not tied for 8th.

No disagreement if the D turns around the games against EWU and MSU should be good ones.

MSUBobcat
July 15th, 2013, 01:21 PM
It's possible......or is it ? http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~ssanty/cgi-bin/eightball.cgi

Using this highly scientific resource I learned that MSU will only lose to SMU this season. Given the source, you can take it to the bank. xthumbsupxxnodx

MSUBobcat
July 15th, 2013, 01:41 PM
I just came across the league's media and coach's polls, which I think technically are supposed to be released tomorrow but are out now.

Thanks for sharing. Looks pretty good except maybe UM below CP, but don't have an issue with UM over CP either. The Griz reputation and name carries a lot of weight - one year removed from finishing under .500 for the 1st time since opening Wa-Griz Stadium and 2 of the 13 coaches picked them to win the conference. xeekx

geaux_sioux
July 15th, 2013, 02:34 PM
xlolx Very close to being the 3rd best team last year in what way? You beat a decent Sac St team pretty easily and squeaked by a very bad PSU team, a down UM team and an average SUU team. UND lost 5 games in conference. Maybe if the ball had bounced differently, they beat UNC (only lost by one), possibly NAU (though they took a 14 pt lead in the 4th). But UND was dominated by 3 teams. IMO, they were very close to being the 5th best team last year, not tied for 8th.

No disagreement if the D turns around the games against EWU and MSU should be good ones.

That's why I said if you watched all of the games. The EWU game was a coaching nightmare. We march down the field and score easily and then switch QBs the next possession... EWU got a ton of good bounces after that and our CBs could hang with two of their WRs so we got pounded. Had we just stayed with the one QB that was in for the first possession, who knows, maybe the game would have been more competitive. I think it certainly would have.

The PSU game was a nice illustration of the shortcomings of the defense last year. We had them down on the ground and were about to blow the doors completely off when the D started giving them huge play after huge play on 3rd and long. We still won but still should have looked very different.

The Montana game was exciting and we won but the game shouldn't have required a TD with 12 sec left to win. We let them back in as well.

SUU game started off wayyy too slow for UND but they showed a little heart in the final home game and squeaked out a win against a SUU team that proved they could beat anyone last season.

I think you are mistaking the Cal Poly game for one of the three games we got dominated. We had a 3 point lead with under 12min to play at home and gave them too many big plays on 3rd down (sound familiar?) and they scored 21 unanswered points. Look at the stats from the game and they show we were far from dominated. We out gained them 409 to 395. We have 7 more first downs, 23 to 16. We out possessed them 33:56 min to 26:04 min. What really killed UND that day was 3 fumbles 1 INT and on a fake punt reverse that was set up to perfection our CB Brown tried to cut up field instead of going outside with the ball for a sure fire first down. It was a good game and Poly did win but UND did not get dominated and wins that game 8 out of 10 times.

UNC game they stop us on 4th and inches with 12 men on defense. Realistically that game shouldn't have come down to that and UND missed alot of plays on offense that would have won that game. The defense fought back and forces some late TOs but it was too little too late.

MSU killed us and played nearly perfect that day. We ran into a buzzsaw. You guys should've saved that type of play for the playoffs.

Basically I'm saying UND was 'this close' to being a very good team last year. But they weren't. The coaches and players all learned from rookie mistakes last season and the team (especially the D) will be ready for this season. Also look out for whoever wins the QB job. They will be a stud for 4 years. They don't look like or play like FR.

MSUBobcat
July 15th, 2013, 03:53 PM
That's why I said if you watched all of the games. The EWU game was a coaching nightmare. We march down the field and score easily and then switch QBs the next possession... EWU got a ton of good bounces after that and our CBs could hang with two of their WRs so we got pounded. Had we just stayed with the one QB that was in for the first possession, who knows, maybe the game would have been more competitive. I think it certainly would have.

The PSU game was a nice illustration of the shortcomings of the defense last year. We had them down on the ground and were about to blow the doors completely off when the D started giving them huge play after huge play on 3rd and long. We still won but still should have looked very different.

The Montana game was exciting and we won but the game shouldn't have required a TD with 12 sec left to win. We let them back in as well.

SUU game started off wayyy too slow for UND but they showed a little heart in the final home game and squeaked out a win against a SUU team that proved they could beat anyone last season.

I think you are mistaking the Cal Poly game for one of the three games we got dominated. We had a 3 point lead with under 12min to play at home and gave them too many big plays on 3rd down (sound familiar?) and they scored 21 unanswered points. Look at the stats from the game and they show we were far from dominated. We out gained them 409 to 395. We have 7 more first downs, 23 to 16. We out possessed them 33:56 min to 26:04 min. What really killed UND that day was 3 fumbles 1 INT and on a fake punt reverse that was set up to perfection our CB Brown tried to cut up field instead of going outside with the ball for a sure fire first down. It was a good game and Poly did win but UND did not get dominated and wins that game 8 out of 10 times.

UNC game they stop us on 4th and inches with 12 men on defense. Realistically that game shouldn't have come down to that and UND missed alot of plays on offense that would have won that game. The defense fought back and forces some late TOs but it was too little too late.

MSU killed us and played nearly perfect that day. We ran into a buzzsaw. You guys should've saved that type of play for the playoffs.

Basically I'm saying UND was 'this close' to being a very good team last year. But they weren't. The coaches and players all learned from rookie mistakes last season and the team (especially the D) will be ready for this season. Also look out for whoever wins the QB job. They will be a stud for 4 years. They don't look like or play like FR.

Not arguing PSU, UM, SUU or UNC. If you think coaching and good bounces led to a 55-17 beatdown by EWU, I respectfully disagree. And maybe dominated was the wrong term for CP, but they led the entire game except for 1:41 in the 4th quarter when they took a 17-14 lead and woke up the Poly offense that had been sleeping for 2 quarters and they rattled off 21 pts and sealed it. The better team won. MSU, as you said, was a buzzsaw. UND couldn't stop the rushing attack (436 yds, 5 TD). The NAU game was another close game up to the 4th quarter, when Bauman broke the tie early in the 4th. NAU then forced a fumble and capitalized on it to take a 14 pt lead and held on for the win on the road. Again, the better team won. That's why I said 5th. xpeacex

344Johnson
July 15th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Not arguing PSU, UM, SUU or UNC. If you think coaching and good bounces led to a 55-17 beatdown by EWU, I respectfully disagree. And maybe dominated was the wrong term for CP, but they led the entire game except for 1:41 in the 4th quarter when they took a 17-14 lead and woke up the Poly offense that had been sleeping for 2 quarters and they rattled off 21 pts and sealed it. The better team won. MSU, as you said, was a buzzsaw. UND couldn't stop the rushing attack (436 yds, 5 TD). The NAU game was another close game up to the 4th quarter, when Bauman broke the tie early in the 4th. NAU then forced a fumble and capitalized on it to take a 14 pt lead and held on for the win on the road. Again, the better team won. That's why I said 5th. xpeacex

geaux_sioux is the definition of a glass half full Whioux fan.

darell1976
July 15th, 2013, 04:05 PM
U

UND is where they should be..in the middle. Until we prove it on the field I wouldn't put us in the top 5.