PDA

View Full Version : James Madison vs. Appalachian State

HiHiYikas
September 9th, 2006, 02:44 PM
JMU moving the ball well on the opening drive - 2nd & goal @ 8 for JMU - timeout Dukes

th0m
September 9th, 2006, 02:45 PM
JMU already has 2 penalties. Not very smart when you're at the 3 yard line.

th0m
September 9th, 2006, 02:47 PM
JMU Dukes draw first blood, 3-0.

HiHiYikas
September 9th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Not a bad stop for ASU. Apparently the first ASU posession was a 3 & out - didn't pick up the netcast in time.

3-0 JMU

th0m
September 9th, 2006, 02:54 PM
You are right, ASU's first pos. was 3 and out. You guys are doing a lot better now though. JMU has another &*^^%$ penalty.

HiHiYikas
September 9th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Apps on the move...who exactly is Dwayne Bettis?

HiHiYikas
September 9th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Wow - Edwards in @ QB after another JMU penalty. Not a bad way to start his season @ home

7-3 Mountaineers

th0m
September 9th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Apparant late hit on QB Elder, ASU score with backup QB. 7-3 ASU

HiHiYikas
September 9th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Jeremy Wiggins picks off Rascati - Apps to JMU's 26. Apps on the threshhold again at the end of the first quarter.

HiHiYikas
September 9th, 2006, 03:11 PM
TD K-Rich. Apps capitalize on the turnover - 14-3 ASU.

live stats on goasu.com...
http://stats.goasu.com/football/xlive.htm

th0m
September 9th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the link!

Step it up JMU! Doing a lot better than against Bloomy, but will need a whole lot more to win this one.

th0m
September 9th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Elder back in the game.

HiHiYikas
September 9th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Another JMU turnover - fumble recovered by ASU - 7:10 to go in the half
(I believe this is my first time listening to an ASU game with out-of-town commentators - do they always talk this much about the altitude?)

th0m
September 9th, 2006, 03:51 PM
21-3 at the half for ASU. JMU with a lot of stupid stupid plays, combined with ASU capitalizing on them. ASU only outgaining JMU by 9 yards at the moments, JMU gotta step it up!

JMU2004
September 9th, 2006, 03:56 PM
another day, another talented JMU squad killing themselves by turnovers, penalties, and of course missed FGs.

You can set your watch to it, so predictable.

Appstate29
September 9th, 2006, 03:56 PM
any word on the attendence?

HiHiYikas
September 9th, 2006, 04:35 PM
21-3 ASU after 3. Dukes can't seem to get into the end zone. Sounds like a great game. Wish I was there.

th0m
September 9th, 2006, 04:49 PM
The Touchdown-maker LC Baker! 21-10 ASU.

HiHiYikas
September 9th, 2006, 04:49 PM
There goes JMU with a TD - 21-10 ASU with about 8:40 to go in the 4th.

(Mebane, NC is not MEE-BANE, btw, it's Meh-ben.)

th0m
September 9th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Heheh, you listening to the JMU feed? They made some other weird mistakes. (about how we beat Montana STATE for the NC game?) Guess they're just impressed with KBS ;)

HiHiYikas
September 9th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Yeah, I like JMU's radio guys, though - they sound pretty good. A couple of mispronunciations are to be expected against non-conference competition...oh yeah, and that altitude is probably affecting them, too. :smiley_wi

Appstate29
September 9th, 2006, 05:05 PM
yeah did you hear them when rascati did that keeper, the one guy got so excited i thought he got a first down, he only got 2 yards when he needed 13

th0m
September 9th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Well, that about does it. Congrats Mountaineers, you deserved it! I hope we both have a good remainder of the season, and hopefully meet again in the playoffs.

th0m
September 9th, 2006, 05:06 PM
yeah did you hear them when rascati did that keeper, the one guy got so excited i thought he got a first down, he only got 2 yards when he needed 13

Yeah I was like WTF? And then he gets 2 yds...

Mike Schikman gets excited for very weird things, lol...

HiHiYikas
September 9th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Right - I had to double check that on the live stats to make sure it was still 4th and 11. Our own Steve Brown, a former ASU QB who does color commentary on the radio, gets very excited sometimes. Add that to his mountain accent, and it makes for an entertaining broadcast.

JMU really seemed to get it together in the 2nd half. I would guess they'll learn from a few miscues and have a good season from here on despite the 21-10 setback. Nice game.

19 in a row at the Rock. Not too shabby.

JMU2004
September 9th, 2006, 05:09 PM
shocker....JMU done in by early mistakes.

I would be happy if once, JUST ONCE, we didn't kill ourselves with penalties, turnovers, and missed chip shot field goals

Appstate29
September 9th, 2006, 05:11 PM
any numbers on the attendence obviously it wasn't the 30k predicted, but it sounded like 23 or 24k?

HiHiYikas
September 9th, 2006, 05:15 PM
That's our first ever win as a #1 team.

23814 is the attendance.

PaladinFan
September 9th, 2006, 05:26 PM
the game feed has ASU with only 236 yrds of offense. Is that right? :eek:

KiddBrewer
September 9th, 2006, 05:39 PM
yea not too pretty, but we'll take it.

19 and counting.

blur2005
September 9th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Yeah, I like JMU's radio guys, though - they sound pretty good. A couple of mispronunciations are to be expected against non-conference competition...oh yeah, and that altitude is probably affecting them, too. :smiley_wi
Mike Shickman is the man. He is such a good play-by-play announcer. He probably could've gone much farther in the profession but he and his wife enjoyed living in Harrisonburg so he stayed where he is. I love listening to him.

Mountaineer
September 9th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Just got back from the game probably 20 minutes ago.

Honestly, it was pretty damn ugly - for both teams. The ASU offense is positively anemic at this point. :bang: JMU didn't look much better. Both teams need to do some serious work this coming week. :o

Saint3333
September 9th, 2006, 09:27 PM
the game feed has ASU with only 236 yrds of offense. Is that right? :eek:

The coaches turned to conservative play once again in the second half when ASU was up only 21-3. They put in a true freshman QB (put Trey back in when JMU scored). I bet ASU didn't pass the ball 5 times in the second half, play calling was predictible and boringxcoffeex .

The Cats
September 9th, 2006, 10:06 PM
A good win for ASU. whats up with all the other Southern conference losses today?

JMUfan2008
September 9th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Okay, some comments about the game after I finally got back...

1) I couldn't imagine that being 23,000 people, maybe it looked like less because there are more seats at "the rock" but there was tons of empty space all around the stadium

2) bad penalites, either no calls or bad calls...mainly against jmu, i think i saw a possible late hit against jmu, but thats it. That interception....was because he WR that was going for the ball was held back by the ASU guy holding his jersey, but apparently the refs didn't see that. There were a couple others but that the game changer. And also on the topic of penalies...our false starts on the first drive...terrible...no offense to ASU fans, but I honestly didn't think you were that loud, its a big wide open stadium so its hard to make too much noise, so its not really completely your fault. I have no idea how we got to false starts....ridiculous

3) turnovers turnovers....and that was just the one fumble from ASU....that could have changed the game, the looong pass where we forced the fumble, a JMU guy had his hands on it but tried to run before he got it, got it knocked away, another JMU guy on the ground couldn't move 2 feet to get it and in the fray it got knocked out of bounds...awful...and this was apparently the play of the game for ASU?!?! how is a play where you fumble and get rescued by it going out of bounds the play of the game?

4) we NEED a new offensive coordinator NOW!!!! We ran it every first down, pretty much every second down, then third down there was a possiblity we might pass it, JMU was so predictable that we were calling the exact plays we were gonna run in the stands (we also did that for a lot of the ASU plays too though) We came out passing and moved right down the field, then we started running and couldn't move the ball. The only times we got momentum going was when we got big passes and we just didn't pass enough to get much going

5) Defense was great for both teams. JMU's defense stepped up the second half and kept ASU scoreless, I was pretty impressed even though I figured ASU was just running the clock and not passing as much as they could. We need more pressure on the QB though, that one blitz we did near the end of the game worked really well, we don't do that enough

6) Our kicking still isn't up to par. I really wanted to believe in Rabil this year, I really did, but then he misses a momentum changing 35ish yard field goal (I haven't checked the actual report yet and I didn't hear at the game exactly how long it was)

Honestly if I were an ASU fan I would be worried if my team played like that (I know, I'm one to talk being from JMU) but if you keep playing like that you won't stay undefeated too long. If you have home field advantage against a #12 team who's offense played as badly as ours did today I would expect at least a 3 or 4 TD victory. As for JMU, I just wish we would pass it more. We're pretty deep as far as WR's go and we never use them....really....really....really pissed me off today because we would have had a chance if we would have passed more. Use the talents we have. We can't run like 2 years ago because our Oline isn't half as good as 2 years ago. Alright, it's late so I'll stop ranting.

Saint3333
September 10th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Blaming the refs:rolleyes: . Your player should have been thrown out for the late helmet to helmet hit on our QB to knock him out of the game for a couple of series, low blow. Our defense hurried your QB on throws all day maybe that had something to do with the missed throws.

As for the 23,800 that were there, we scan every ticket as I assume you witnessed so there is no doctoring. Guess the ROCK had no effect, 19 straight.

Anyway.

I agree I am worried about our offense, but at this time last year I was worried about it then too. See the EKU and Kansas games. Since ASU has adopted the spread they have started slow every year. I blame the play calling in the second half (less than 5 pass plays) on the scoreless half. ASU has six players that can make bigs plays in the air (Mayfield, Courman, Hill, Hans, Jackson, Bettis, and KR). ASU has games against Mars Hill, G-Webb, and Elon coming up if Trey can get his confidence up and the coaches help him by calling plays to open up the field we'll be fine.

Hope the JMU fans enjoyed Boone and the atmosphere, good luck the rest of the season and hope to see you in Boone again in December.

tralfangar
September 10th, 2006, 10:39 AM
The attendance was correct. If anything I was disappointed with the amount of fans JMU brought...I was hoping you guys would show up on the level of Furman or Western.

As for the noise level, I was disappointed too. Our fans weren't loud at all, but as you mention, perhaps it was due to a boring game with no intensity.

We are worried about our offense, you should be certain of that, however, I wouldn't toot your defense's horn too much. The only reason we didn't score in the second half is because we were already up by almost 3 touchdowns (21-3) and Coach Moore isn't big on running the score up on anybody. Plus as you said the play-calling was predictable because we were running out the clock.

Your team looked ten times worse than ours and unfortunately the late score doesn't allow the final margin to reflect that. Thanks for coming to visit though, hope you had a good time.

AppStateSVX
September 10th, 2006, 10:47 AM
The attendance was correct. If anything I was disappointed with the amount of fans JMU brought...I was hoping you guys would show up on the level of Furman or Western.

As for the noise level, I was disappointed too. Our fans weren't loud at all, but as you mention, perhaps it was due to a boring game with no intensity.

It was really loud in the student section until the score got to 21-3 and App just bascially ran the clock out the rest of the game.

JMUfan2008
September 10th, 2006, 12:18 PM
That helmet to helmet was one of the no calls I talked about they let slip for us. And no I'm not blaming the refs for our loss, but I am blaming them for letting that INT happen (with the new rules plays like that make a HUGE difference). But we played bad and you won. Sorry, I didn't know exactly how they got the attendance figures....can't really argue with your system though..haha. And the atmosphere was good there, the ASU students sitting beside us were always competing with us at cheering, it was a good time. And as for our turnout being comparable to Furman? We're about 5.5 hours away and we almost lost to a D-II...a lot of people thought we were gonna get blown out so they didn't bother coming. And as for "THE ROCK", yes apparently it had an effect, and I'm sure the student section was screaming their hearts out and sounded VERY loud from that section - thats the way it is at JMU also - but at a big open-air stadium all of that sound doesn't translate to field noise...from the other side of the stadium I could still talk comfortably to people around me without any problem. And as for QB hurrying, I mentioned our Oline being bad, so yes that means the QB will be hurried, but that doesn't mean Rascati can't get the ball in there, but when we pass the ball on 1 WR sets throwing into triple coverage its kinda hard to wait for the guy to get open. Really hope to see y'all again in the playoffs (lets hope we've made some progress by then)

spoogemcgee18
September 10th, 2006, 02:58 PM
My God, that game was sooo boring. No atmosphere, no intensity, no big plays. Good thing Texas-tOSU was on later to save my night.

hapapp
September 10th, 2006, 03:03 PM
I think both sides can agree that neither team looked particularly sharp on the offensive side of the ball. I was really disappointed in many ways because the game seemed to lack the intensity I thought it would bring. I really didn't think KBS was nearly as loud as it was last year with similiar sized crowds. I think the style and pace of the game deflated some of the enthusiasm.

I do think this matchup is a natural for the two schools with very similar backgrounds. I look forward to renewing the series in 2008.

jmufootball2
September 10th, 2006, 03:30 PM
the reason jmu attendance was low was becuase they sold out of tickets in a hurry.

SoCon48
September 10th, 2006, 11:25 PM
the reason jmu attendance was low was becuase they sold out of tickets in a hurry.

There was room for at least around 2,000 more fans as this was 2K less than last year's crowd of 25k for WCU.
Seating capacity is 17K. We keep packing them in up to 25K so far.