PDA

View Full Version : 2013 North Dakota football updates

darell1976
June 25th, 2013, 05:57 PM
Here is the latest at UND!

http://siouxfb.areavoices.com/

1. Athletic Director Brian Faison hit a couple grand slams in the past few weeks with his future FBS scheduling. UND announced that they will be playing the University of Utah in 2017 out in Salt Lake City. In return for traveling out to take on the Utes, who get to keep their native american nickname, UND receives $450,000. Utah, who recently joined the Pac-12 conference, was 5-7 last season – their first in the conference. This will be a very tough game for UND as Utah is usually a solid club and will have 4 years of Pac-12 revenue sharing flowing into the coffers before UND heads out there.

2. Just when UND fans thought that the payday/opponent couldn’t get a whole lot better, Faison announces that UND will take on Steve Sarkisian and the Washington Huskies in 2018 out in Seattle. The payday for this Pac-12 game: $500,000. Now that is a heck of chunk of change. The Huskies were 7-6 in 2012, losing to Boise State in the Maaco Bowl, 28-26. Since Sarkisian took over the helm in 2010, Washington has been a very good offensive team and at the same time a very bad defensive team. Last year they tried to slow it down a bit to keep things under control but historically they have had no problem getting in a track meet with their fellow Pac-12 teams.

3. Multiple 2013 FCS Preseason Polls have been released. UND is not ranked in any of them but many of their 2013 opponents are. Lindy’s and Athlon have both put their’s out so far. UND has four Top-10 teams AT HOME this year, according to those two polls. South Dakota State, Montana, Montana State, and Eastern Washington all visit the Alerus Center this fall, making this by far the most attractive home schedule in UND history and possibly the best home schedule in all of FCS. UND has seven home games in 2013.

Plus UND will start a redshirt freshman at QB (Joe Mollberg or Ryan Bartels). If this year doesn't grow them up (his backup will be another redshirt freshman) I don't know what will.

Players to watch:

WR Greg Hardin Preseason First Team All-American by BSN beyondsportsnetwork.com
K Zeb Miller CFPA Placekicker Watch List

New Coaches

Defensive Coordinator
OL Coach
OLB Coach
Offensive Coordinator
DL Coach
RB Coach

So a huge coaching change at UND to see if UND can turn things around and get us our first DI conference title since 2011 (GWFC), and a playoff birth for the first time since 2007 (our last year in DII).

BisonHype!
June 25th, 2013, 09:32 PM
UND still has a team?xcrazyx

darell1976
June 25th, 2013, 09:47 PM
UND still has a team?xcrazyx

"Yeah we have uniforms and everything" Jake Taylor- Major League

ursus arctos horribilis
June 25th, 2013, 10:37 PM

xlolx

Vitojr130
June 25th, 2013, 10:46 PM

xsmileyclapx

In other news, you are the only person I have ever seen start a thread on or regarding UND xthumbsupx

Southern Bison
June 25th, 2013, 11:00 PM
xsmileyclapx

In other news, you are the only person I have ever seen start a thread on or regarding UND xthumbsupx

He started the one about Travis Beck...he's just trying to be "objective". xeyebrowx

344Johnson
June 26th, 2013, 12:24 AM
In an attempt to be polite....

Lots of coaching turnover. Could be cool to see.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 26th, 2013, 12:27 AM
In an attempt to be polite....

Lots of coaching turnover. Could be cool to see.

Good work. Everything doesn't have to be pot shots.

BisonFan02
June 26th, 2013, 12:36 AM
Good work. Everything doesn't have to be pot shots.

Agreed, the interesting part to watch will be the new DC...defense in the BSC is a novel concept*

*gratuitous Big Sky pot shot. :D

ursus arctos horribilis
June 26th, 2013, 01:40 AM
Agreed, the interesting part to watch will be the new DC...defense in the BSC is a novel concept*

*gratuitous Big Sky pot shot. :D

Nice work.

Richard.

:D

Bisonator
June 26th, 2013, 12:40 PM
So with the new coaches, the 8 home games and the favorable schedule, if UND doesn't make the playoffs is Muss gonna be gone? What would it take to keep his job?

darell1976
June 26th, 2013, 01:08 PM
So with the new coaches, the 8 home games and the favorable schedule, if UND doesn't make the playoffs is Muss gonna be gone? What would it take to keep his job?

7 home games and UND may not get an opportunity to have so many home games (unless they do 12 games since this is the only year through 2018 without an FBS game). Muss signed a 3 year extension in July 2012 so they may be patient and let his contract run out before firing him or giving him another extension, if UND goes 3-8 or 4-7 he will be gone IMO. Muss had a 3-8 season already in his resume (2010) I don't think Faison would like to see that again. He would have to make the playoffs or at minimum go 6-5 to not get his contract bought out.

http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/65793/group/homepage/

GRAND FORKS, N.D. (AP) — University of North Dakota football coach Chris Mussman has signed a contract extension that will keep him at the helm at least through the 2015 season.

School officials announced the new deal Monday. UND athletic director Brian Faison says Mussman's base salary for the first year of the contract is $114,612, with bonus incentives for items such as conference championships, playoff appearances, player honors and academic awards.

The agreement includes two options that could extend the contract through 2017.

darell1976
June 27th, 2013, 10:16 AM
http://billingsgazette.com/sports/college/blogs/catgrizinsider/big-sky-position-rankings-special-teams/article_88082d30-b82f-11e2-858a-001a4bcf887a.html

2013 Big Sky position rankings: Special teams

5. GREG HARDIN, KR, NORTH DAKOTA 2012: 16 KR, 31.6 avg, 98 long, 1 TD. THE BUZZ FOR 2013: Hardin is more well-known as the top wideout in the Big Sky (spoiler alert), but he also gives North Dakota a huge advantage in the kickoff return game. The speedy Hardin not only led the league in kickoff return average last year, but also was ranked No. 1 in all-purpose yardage (151.6 per game). Hardin's 98-yard kickoff return for a TD against Southern Utah last November helped ignite a UND rally that erased a 15-point deficit and led to a 33-29 victory. Hardin should again be one of the most resourceful players in the Big Sky, both on offense and special teams.

7. SHEA WALKER, ST, JR., NORTH DAKOTA 2012: 3 blocked kicks. THE BUZZ FOR 2013: North Dakota has been one of the best kick-blocking teams in the FCS over the course of the last two seasons, and Walker is the main reason. He blocked three last season -- at Sacramento State, at Eastern Washington and at Montana State. In all, Walker has swatted away five field goals in his career, making him one of the nation's active leaders. And he's only a junior. The 6-foot-1, 299-pound Walker is projected to be UND's starting center in 2013, but he's also an unheralded game-changer on special teams, one of the best in the country.

10. ZEB MILLER, K, SR., NORTH DAKOTA 2012: 12-14 FG, 50 long, 42-43 PAT, 78 pts. THE BUZZ FOR 2013: I know what you're thinking: Three North Dakota special teamers in the Top 10? But Miller might have the strongest leg of any kicker in the Big Sky, evidenced by the 54-yarder he hit two years ago to beat Northern Colorado in 2011 and the 50-yarder he nailed in a win over Portland State last season. Miller's reliability is also unquestioned. He's made 22 of 24 field goals inside 40 yards in his career (92 percent). He comes into the new year on a roll, having made his last seven field goal attempts last season.

UNDColorado
June 27th, 2013, 11:21 AM

That is a really good question. If we get dominated in games like we did last year at EWU and MSU and do not make the playoffs then I gotta believe he is on the hot seat. Losing close games is one thing, but getting destroyed is unacceptable unless you want to be the next Idaho State...all indications tell me that the bar is set much higher than that. This is all just theory and executing on gameday is a different animal.

If we play every game close and miss the playoffs he stays for sure. One thing to remember is that we will be starting a redshirt QB so even though we have a great home schedule this could be a crap shoot. This season will be very telling as to how the program is progressing or digressing in D1.

UNDBIZ
June 27th, 2013, 12:08 PM
That is a really good question. If we get dominated in games like we did last year at EWU and MSU and do not make the playoffs then I gotta believe he is on the hot seat. Losing close games is one thing, but getting destroyed is unacceptable unless you want to be the next Idaho State...all indications tell me that the bar is set much higher than that. This is all just theory and executing on gameday is a different animal.

If we play every game close and miss the playoffs he stays for sure. One thing to remember is that we will be starting a redshirt QB so even though we have a great home schedule this could be a crap shoot. This season will be very telling as to how the program is progressing or digressing in D1.

6 wins and he'll get one more year to see what he can do with a non-freshman qb (make the playoffs with the soph qb or get fired). Under 5 wins and I say he should be fired immediately. 5 wins is a toss-up. Personally I've never been a fan of Mussman, but I think only asking for 5+ wins is more than forgiving enough for him with his history at the helm of UND.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 27th, 2013, 02:11 PM
If Mussman is smart he will go back to what made UND a D2 power in the late 90s and 2000s....run the ball and play good, fundamentally sound defense. An efficient passing game is also needed but going back to their 'old school' brand of football would be a good formula for success IMO. If he is going to keep the 3-4 defensive scheme, keep recruiting fast, athletic LBers and very good DTs.

In the Big Sky, UND could give all the teams trouble if they play that kind of football.

Bisonator
June 27th, 2013, 03:06 PM
If Mussman is smart he will go back to what made UND a D2 power in the late 90s and 2000s....run the ball and play good, fundamentally sound defense. An efficient passing game is also needed but going back to their 'old school' brand of football would be a good formula for success IMO. If he is going to keep the 3-4 defensive scheme, keep recruiting fast, athletic LBers and very good DTs.

In the Big Sky, UND could give all the teams trouble if they play that kind of football.

Exactly. Look no further then Cal Poly!

geaux_sioux
June 27th, 2013, 03:15 PM

I agree for the moth part with this. If we get that old nasty defense and power run game and match that with out ability to pass now we will be a nightmare for everyone. The OLine and defense need to get up to form for that to happen.

word
June 27th, 2013, 03:47 PM
I agree for the moth part with this. If we get that old nasty defense and power run game and match that with out ability to pass now we will be a nightmare for everyone. The OLine and defense need to get up to form for that to happen.

Kickass Offense + Kickass Defense = NIGHTMARE

xeekx who would have thought

UNDBIZ
June 28th, 2013, 07:47 AM

Crazy how that works huh

Bisonator
June 28th, 2013, 07:50 AM

Unless your special teams suck and your giving up a TD on every kickoff! xlolx

darell1976
June 28th, 2013, 03:30 PM
http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=208538362

The countdown to UND football is on. With 62 days and counting to the start of the University of North Dakota football season, UNDSports.com is here every Friday with updates, news and other fun items to get ready for the year.

The Alerus Center will be a busy building this fall as the UND football team has seven home games to play, including four straight to open the 2013 campaign. And, the Green and White will be playing those games on a new artificial surface.

UNDSports.com was able to get the first pictures of the new field for today's Football Friday feature.

The project is now complete and fans will notice a few tweaks to this version of the AstroTurf. The first will be the end zones, which are now black with the words North Dakota stretching across them in white.

The logos throughout the field will also have a little more pop to them as those have been permanently sewn into the surface. The 25-yard lines on both ends have an Altru and Big Sky logo on alternating sides, while the middle of the field has the usual Alerus Center markings.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/darell1976/XCGVCGSONAEKEJN_20130628172256.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/darell1976/media/XCGVCGSONAEKEJN_20130628172256.jpg.html)

Hambone
June 29th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Love the black end zones - and while I wish the Alerus logos were smaller and there was some sort of UND logo at midfield the turf overall is great.

IBleedYellow
June 29th, 2013, 10:31 AM
I saw Doms tweet about that last night and I thought the black looked sharp.

Galaxy S4

darell1976
July 5th, 2013, 04:39 PM
http://www.undsports.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=13500&SPID=6399&SPSID=58644

Game times are set!!

Thu, Aug 29 Valparaiso (Military Appreciation Day) Grand Forks, N.D. 7:00 p.m.
Sat, Sep 07 South Dakota State (Potato Bowl USA) Grand Forks, N.D. 6:00 p.m.
Sat, Sep 14 Montana (Hall of Fame Game) Grand Forks, N.D. 6:00 p.m.
Sat, Sep 21 Open
Sat, Sep 28 Montana State (Family Weekend) * Grand Forks, N.D. 2:30 p.m.
Sat, Oct 05 Idaho State * at Pocatello, Idaho 3:00 p.m.
Sat, Oct 12 Eastern Washington (Homecoming) * Grand Forks, N.D. 2:30 p.m.
Sat, Oct 19 Sacramento State (North Dakota Strong/Band Day) * Grand Forks, N.D. 2:30 p.m.
Sat, Oct 26 Portland State * at Portland, Ore. 3:05 p.m.
Sat, Nov 02 Northern Arizona * at Flagstaff, Ariz. 2:00 p.m.
Sat, Nov 09 Northern Colorado (Senior Day) * Grand Forks, N.D. 1:00 p.m.
Sat, Nov 16 UC Davis * at Davis, Calif. 6:00 p.m.
Sat, Nov 23 Open

darell1976
July 13th, 2013, 08:47 AM
http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=208668561

THIBODAUX, La. - North Dakota assistant coach Danny Freund is spending this weekend at the Manning Passing Academy where he will be surrounded by what many consider to be the "first family" of the position he played at UND and is now coaching at his alma mater.

Freund is among 120 past and present players and coaches from the NFL and college ranks assisting at the annual MPA on the campus of Nicholls State University in Thibodaux, La.

Freund ended up being invited to participate at the camp thanks to a chance meeting with Archie Manning at the Minneapolis Airport just over a year ago. The two struck up a conversation about the quarterback position, a connection was made and the elder Manning got back in touch with Freund to invite the former UND signal caller to help out at this year's camp.

The staff emeritus at MPA includes former head coach Jon Gruden of the Super Bowl XXXVII Champion Tampa Bay Buccaneers, current NFL starting quarterbacks Matt Stafford (Detroit Lions) and Sam Bradford (St. Louis Rams) and 2012 Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel of Texas A&M.

The camp runs from July 11-14 and features a 10:1 camper to coach ratio. All positions are taught at the camp and both Peyton Manning and Eli Manning serve as senior associate directors along with their other brother Cooper. Archie Manning is the executive director of the camp that is celebrating its 18th year of existence.

Freund the rest of the UND coaching staff will open fall camp on Aug. 1 and continue preparations for a 2013 season that features seven home games at the Alerus Center. The opener is set for Thurs., Aug. 29 against Valparaiso.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 14th, 2013, 08:16 AM
http://www.undsports.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=13500&SPID=6399&SPSID=58644

Game times are set!!

Thu, Aug 29 Valparaiso (Military Appreciation Day) Grand Forks, N.D. 7:00 p.m.
Sat, Sep 07 South Dakota State (Potato Bowl USA) Grand Forks, N.D. 6:00 p.m.
Sat, Sep 14 Montana (Hall of Fame Game) Grand Forks, N.D. 6:00 p.m.
Sat, Sep 21 Open
Sat, Sep 28 Montana State (Family Weekend) * Grand Forks, N.D. 2:30 p.m.
Sat, Oct 05 Idaho State * at Pocatello, Idaho 3:00 p.m.
Sat, Oct 12 Eastern Washington (Homecoming) * Grand Forks, N.D. 2:30 p.m.
Sat, Oct 19 Sacramento State (North Dakota Strong/Band Day) * Grand Forks, N.D. 2:30 p.m.
Sat, Oct 26 Portland State * at Portland, Ore. 3:05 p.m.
Sat, Nov 02 Northern Arizona * at Flagstaff, Ariz. 2:00 p.m.
Sat, Nov 09 Northern Colorado (Senior Day) * Grand Forks, N.D. 1:00 p.m.
Sat, Nov 16 UC Davis * at Davis, Calif. 6:00 p.m.
Sat, Nov 23 Open

I'll take a crack at this schedule:

Valpo: W
SDSU: L
UM: L
MSU: W
ISU: W
EWU: L
Sac: W
PSU: W
NAU: L
UNC: W
Davis: W

If UND can go at least 5-2 at home they will have a shot at the playoffs. Now I don't have much faith in Mussman but you never know. If UND/NDSU somehow are matched up in the playoffs.....that would be an epic game.

MSUBobcat
July 14th, 2013, 09:13 AM
I'll take a crack at this schedule:

Valpo: W
SDSU: L
UM: L
MSU: W
ISU: W
EWU: L
Sac: W
PSU: W
NAU: L
UNC: W
Davis: W

If UND can go at least 5-2 at home they will have a shot at the playoffs. Now I don't have much faith in Mussman but you never know. If UND/NDSU somehow are matched up in the playoffs.....that would be an epic game.

xconfusedx I'm confused by the bolded section. You must believe MSU lost a ton on defense or UM's QB coming back is huge difference. The Griz lost to UND last year in GF, and as much as Bison fans talk smack about the atmosphere of the Alerus Center, home field must not have played THAT much into the outcome. Meanwhile, MSU blew them out of the stadium, including only attempting 1 pass in the entire 4th qtr. Bobcat Stadium gives MSU a homefield advantage, but not 45 points. Our offense looks to be as good, or maybe better than last year, so UND better plan on putting up a TON of points.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 14th, 2013, 11:18 AM
xconfusedx I'm confused by the bolded section. You must believe MSU lost a ton on defense or UM's QB coming back is huge difference. The Griz lost to UND last year in GF, and as much as Bison fans talk smack about the atmosphere of the Alerus Center, home field must not have played THAT much into the outcome. Meanwhile, MSU blew them out of the stadium, including only attempting 1 pass in the entire 4th qtr. Bobcat Stadium gives MSU a homefield advantage, but not 45 points. Our offense looks to be as good, or maybe better than last year, so UND better plan on putting up a TON of points.

UM's QB coming back makes the offense better but it also make our defense much better. I wouldn't put money on UND in either the MSU or the Sac game either.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 14th, 2013, 11:40 AM

With JJ coming back in '13 they are a legit contender for the BSC. Plus UND has 7 home games this year with Montana - Montana State and EWU all coming to GF, they will win at least one game, maybe 2 or 3. Now, traditionally UND has been a really good home team so they will probably win at least 4 home games looking at the schedule maybe 5 or 6. If you think the Cats are just going to waltz into GF and win just because of last years outcome...well good luck with that. I'm no fan of UND but it is a really tough place to win at. If they get their defense in order this year they could be a real contender.

I'm hoping the Bison/Cats meet up this year cus the score will be worse than the 42-17 beatdown in Bozeman in '10.

MSUBobcat
July 14th, 2013, 12:20 PM
UM's QB coming back makes the offense better but it also make our defense much better. I wouldn't put money on UND in either the MSU or the Sac game either.

Agreed that with JJ the Griz will be much improved and think they will be the favorites against UND this year. I just can't see such a dramatic turnaround in UND's defense or a big enough drop in MSU's defense that UND wins in what would have to be a shootout for them to win.

With JJ coming back in '13 they are a legit contender for the BSC. Plus UND has 7 home games this year with Montana - Montana State and EWU all coming to GF, they will win at least one game, maybe 2 or 3. Now, traditionally UND has been a really good home team so they will probably win at least 4 home games looking at the schedule maybe 5 or 6. If you think the Cats are just going to waltz into GF and win just because of last years outcome...well good luck with that. I'm no fan of UND but it is a really tough place to win at. If they get their defense in order this year they could be a real contender.

I'm hoping the Bison/Cats meet up this year cus the score will be worse than the 42-17 beatdown in Bozeman in '10.

Never said they would waltz in because of last year's results. I'm looking at this year's teams. Our offense will be as good or better. Their defense will need a dramatic turnaround or the Cats put up a lot of points. Our defense lost some talented players and it's at their place, so UND definitely puts up more than 10 pts, but I expect they will need at least 30 pts to be in the game. That's a big change from the prior year. Then again AGS, so who knows. I wouldn't expect it, but maybe it ends up being a defensive battle. xtwocentsx

As was said in post #19, Kickass Offense + Kickass Defense = Real Contender xeekx Its gonna take quite a turnaround....

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 14th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Agreed that with JJ the Griz will be much improved and think they will be the favorites against UND this year. I just can't see such a dramatic turnaround in UND's defense or a big enough drop in MSU's defense that UND wins in what would have to be a shootout for them to win.

Never said they would waltz in because of last year's results. I'm looking at this year's teams. Our offense will be as good or better. Their defense will need a dramatic turnaround or the Cats put up a lot of points. Our defense lost some talented players and it's at their place, so UND definitely puts up more than 10 pts, but I expect they will need at least 30 pts to be in the game. That's a big change from the prior year. Then again AGS, so who knows. I wouldn't expect it, but maybe it ends up being a defensive battle. xtwocentsx

Fair enough.

I'm basing my opinion on UND has been a traditionally very good defensive team over the years. In the late 80s they started to recruit defense to shut down the Bison veer and they did just that.

I'm sure last year's defense was a total embarrassment for the UND coaches considering UND was known for their very good defensive teams. I believe they will get their defensive 'house' in order this year. Maybe not a top-10 FCS defense but one that holds opponents out of the endzone better than last year. But like it or not, UND will be a BSC contender annually when the coaching staff gets their crap together. Is Mussman the guy? Who knows.

Now having Montana - Montana State - EWU and even SDSU at home will be a huge undertaking this year for UND. Those are 4 really tough games but they will have a shot in all of them. The Big Sky will really be interesting this year.

Now this is coming from a Bison fan...no green and white glasses on here.

MSUBobcat
July 14th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Fair enough.

I'm basing my opinion on UND has been a traditionally very good defensive team over the years. In the late 80s they started to recruit defense to shut down the Bison veer and they did just that.

I'm sure last year's defense was a total embarrassment for the UND coaches considering UND was known for their very good defensive teams. I believe they will get their defensive 'house' in order this year. Maybe not a top-10 FCS defense but one that holds opponents out of the endzone better than last year. But like it or not, UND will be a BSC contender annually when the coaching staff gets their crap together. Is Mussman the guy? Who knows.

Now having Montana - Montana State - EWU and even SDSU at home will be a huge undertaking this year for UND. Those are 4 really tough games but they will have a shot in all of them. The Big Sky will really be interesting this year.

xlolx I'd eat my shirt if a Bison fan was biased toward UND and I don't disagree with anything you said, especially about last year being a total embarrassment (gave up 34.5 pts/gm, 11th in BSC and 480 yd/gm, 12th in BSC). I just think it may take more than a year to right that ship. xnodxxpeacex

UNDColorado
July 14th, 2013, 01:49 PM
xlolx I'd eat my shirt if a Bison fan was biased toward UND and I don't disagree with anything you said, especially about last year being a total embarrassment (gave up 34.5 pts/gm, 11th in BSC and 480 yd/gm, 12th in BSC). I just think it may take more than a year to right that ship. xnodxxpeacex

Last year was definitely an embarrassment defensively; very tough to watch at times. However we do have a new D Coordinator that I am excited about in Josh Kotelnecki. He was previously the special teams coordinator for us and had done an exceptional job. I believe 2 years ago UND led the FCS in blocked kicks, last year was pretty tight all around. He was also a member of the 2001 DII national championship team. He knows how to win and is a natural leader. IMO last year our defense lacked strong leadership and he will help reinstate the strong defensive tradition at UND.

I am not saying you are wrong because it will be a tall task to fully right the ship from last year but we do have some things going for us. Now if we made no changes after last year I would be very pessimistic about the upcoming season.

darell1976
July 14th, 2013, 02:57 PM

Your defense better be much better then the last game( giving up 600 passing yards) because I think this game will not be a shootout. UND played Montana tight in Missoula in 2010 so I expect a dog fight but of a 27-24 type contest. As for losing to UM but beating MSU...UND will beat both. ;)

darell1976
July 14th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Fair enough.

Thanks for the kind words NW. I wonder if Bison fans would go for UND over MSU for what they did to the Bison by backing out, or hope for a MSU win because any win helps the Bobcats into the playoffs and a chance to meetup with NDSU at the dome. Tough call.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 14th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Your defense better be much better then the last game( giving up 600 passing yards) because I think this game will not be a shootout. UND played Montana tight in Missoula in 2010 so I expect a dog fight but of a 27-24 type contest. As for losing to UM but beating MSU...UND will beat both. ;)

Why would I need to convince you of that when you already say a tight low scoring game? You will not have nearly the opportunities to possess the ball this time was the point. The game in 2010 was not tight but was a good game. Never felt in danger in that game but last year was certainly one that we were ripe for the picking as we were not consistently good on either side of the ball.

You could beat us again but I feel UM will be much better than in the game last year, I don't feel UND will be better to the same degree and that is my reasoning on the game. It's everybodies reasoning at this point in time so it is not unusual for you to feel the same way.

BisonFan02
July 14th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the kind words NW. I wonder if Bison fans would go for UND over MSU for what they did to the Bison by backing out, or hope for a MSU win because any win helps the Bobcats into the playoffs and a chance to meetup with NDSU at the dome. Tough call.

Dream scenario....UND limps in as "last team in" with 7 wins, beats an AQ creampuff and gets destroyed in Fargo. MSU gets hammered next...beat token SoCon team in semis and pound EWU in the natty. :D

darell1976
July 14th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Why would I need to convince you of that when you already say a tight low scoring game? You will not have nearly the opportunities to possess the ball this time was the point. The game in 2010 was not tight but was a good game. Never felt in danger in that game but last year was certainly one that we were ripe for the picking as we were not consistently good on either side of the ball.

You could beat us again but I feel UM will be much better than in the game last year, I don't feel UND will be better to the same degree and that is my reasoning on the game. It's everybodies reasoning at this point in time so it is not unusual for you to feel the same way.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=303170149

UM (7-4) 27 UND (3-8) 17 at Missoula 11/13/2010

UM outgained UND
Total Yds 421-209, passing 231-56, rushing 190-153. UND led 17-13 11:05 3rd Qtr

http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=322940155

10/20/2012

UND 40 UM 34

Total Yds UND 704 UM 521; Passing UND 660 UM 358; Rushing UM 163 UND 44; Turnovers UM 2 UND 3. UND led 31-17 at the half.

If UND can get back to the run like in the 2010 game, plus add in the deep threat (all our WR are back from last season), and get a defense like in 2010...Montana will lose. Plus the crowd will be larger and louder.

darell1976
July 14th, 2013, 03:31 PM
Dream scenario....UND limps in as "last team in" with 7 wins, beats an AQ creampuff and gets destroyed in Fargo. MSU gets hammered next...beat token SoCon team in semis and pound EWU in the natty. :D

How likely will the NCAA put UND against NDSU?

BisonFan02
July 14th, 2013, 03:37 PM

Regionalization...about the same chance as sending SDSU up here last year right? :D

MSUBobcat
July 14th, 2013, 03:39 PM

If they can at all swing it w/o completely destroying bracket integrity within the seedings, the NC$$ will without a doubt set it up that way, IMO.

344Johnson
July 14th, 2013, 03:39 PM

guarantee.

MSUBobcat
July 14th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Regionalization...about the same chance as sending SDSU up here last year right? :D

Exactly, and NDSU and SDSU are conference-mates whereas UND and NDSU are not.

darell1976
July 14th, 2013, 03:41 PM

As Bisonfan in NW MN said that game (UND at NDSU) would be epic. First meeting in 10 years and the winner gets closer to Frisco. It could almost wipe out all the other UND-NDSU games of the past...too bad with the regionalization in the semi's that both teams couldn't meet in Frisco for the title.

MSUBobcat
July 14th, 2013, 03:47 PM
As Bisonfan in NW MN said that game (UND at NDSU) would be epic. First meeting in 10 years and the winner gets closer to Frisco. It could almost wipe out all the other UND-NDSU games of the past...too bad with the regionalization in the semi's that both teams couldn't meet in Frisco for the title.

I don't think that's exactly true. Would take the two being seeded #1 and #2, or #1 and #3, for example, but there would be ways for them to meet in Frisco, I think.

darell1976
July 14th, 2013, 03:51 PM
I don't think that's exactly true. Would take the two being seeded #1 and #2, or #1 and #3, for example, but there would be ways for them to meet in Frisco, I think.

Only time two Dakota teams played for a football title:

DII Title Game

1986 NDSU 27 South Dakota 7

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_II_National_Football_Championship

ursus arctos horribilis
July 14th, 2013, 05:36 PM
http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=303170149

UM (7-4) 27 UND (3-8) 17 at Missoula 11/13/2010

UM outgained UND
Total Yds 421-209, passing 231-56, rushing 190-153. UND led 17-13 11:05 3rd Qtr

http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=322940155

10/20/2012

UND 40 UM 34

Total Yds UND 704 UM 521; Passing UND 660 UM 358; Rushing UM 163 UND 44; Turnovers UM 2 UND 3. UND led 31-17 at the half.

If UND can get back to the run like in the 2010 game, plus add in the deep threat (all our WR are back from last season), and get a defense like in 2010...Montana will lose. Plus the crowd will be larger and louder.

You always like to do that sort of thing and I am not sure why? I'm not in disagreement with what you said, I'm clarifying something for you. I was never concerned that we were gonna lose that game is what I'm telling you, it wasn't a barn burner because you held the lead for a possession in the third qtr.

We were ripe to be plucked last year, we weren't consistent and could not get out of our own way. Hell the two years you've played us have been the worst two season in 25 plus years. I'd hope you'd do OK in those years.

We're gonna get ya and last year won't have anything to do with it. We'll pm and put something on it prior to the game for fun. Cash is fun btw, let me know how heavy we go.

darell1976
July 14th, 2013, 06:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNuWQ8dI5BQ

Two things about this game, one that Alerus hasn't been that loud (when Hardin scored the winning TD) in a long time, and second sitting with the Montana fans, I never met such a bunch of nicer people. Those fans were great to talk to when we had the lead and when we were trailing. I hope to see them again.

darell1976
July 14th, 2013, 06:05 PM
Speaking of Greg Hardin:
http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/268396/group/Sports/

PARK CITY, Utah — As far as UND receiver Greg Hardin is concerned, he’s ready to play football. He says his 50-or-so UND teammates that remained in Grand Forks this summer are ready to go as well.

“I’m ready for it,” said Hardin. “I’m ready for fall camp. I’m pumped.”

Hardin — UND’s top playmaker last season — will be in the media spotlight this week at the Big Sky Summer Football Kickoff — an event that basically launches the 2013 season for the 13 teams in the league.

Each of the Big Sky teams will have one player and its head coach at the media event, which begins today and wraps up Tuesday morning.

He finished with 65 catches for 1,145 yards and 14 touchdowns. His 1,145 receiving yards were the second most in UND single-season history. Only Weston Dressler — now one of the top players in the Canadian Football League — ranks ahead of Hardin.

Hardin had a monster game against Montana. He broke Big Sky and UND single-game records with 333 receiving yards against the Grizzlies, and his game-winning touchdown catch with 12 seconds to go gave UND the win.

Playoff hungry

Hardin’s goal for 2013 is simple.

He wants to help UND reach the FCS playoffs, which will expand this season from 20 to 24 teams.

UND plays seven of its 11 games at home, but one stretch at the Alerus Center includes consecutive games against South Dakota State, Montana and Montana State. SDSU and Montana State reached the playoffs last season, while Montana — a perennial FCS power — had a surprising down year.

“As a senior, you want to be the first class to make the playoffs,” said Hardin. “You want something to brag about. We really want to make the playoffs. And once you make the playoffs, anything goes.”

BisonFan02
July 14th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Two things about this game, one that Alerus hasn't been that loud (when Hardin scored the winning TD) in a long time, and second sitting with the Montana fans, I never met such a bunch of nicer people. Those fans were great to talk to when we had the lead and when we were trailing. I hope to see them again.

All kidding aside, I might be part of a small group that attends this game because NDSU is on a bye week...us sitting on out hands might pull the crowd noise down. :D

darell1976
July 14th, 2013, 06:28 PM
All kidding aside, I might be part of a small group that attends this game because NDSU is on a bye week...us sitting on out hands might pull the crowd noise down. :D

When I was at the Montana game there were Bison fans there...the yellow shirts standout in a sea of Maroon Montana fans, and black UND fans.

geaux_sioux
July 14th, 2013, 10:24 PM
Fair enough.

I'm busy scraping my brain off the ceiling after reading this post. I've yet to read an NDSU fan who can actually look at UND in a glass half full type of way. There is a lot to prove next year for a bunch of aspects of the program but there is also an opportunity to turn some heads in a big way.

geaux_sioux
July 14th, 2013, 10:34 PM

UND will actually be better in every way next year. The WRs are a year better. The OLine will be better. The RBs will be better. The QB wont throw for 7000 yards but will most likely be a 230LB QB who can throw and run. The defense will be more athletic and better all around. I know you guys will be improved also but probably not as much as UND.

darell1976
July 15th, 2013, 01:18 AM
UND will actually be better in every way next year. The WRs are a year better. The OLine will be better. The RBs will be better. The QB wont throw for 7000 yards but will most likely be a 230LB QB who can throw and run. The defense will be more athletic and better all around. I know you guys will be improved also but probably not as much as UND.

We really need to get the running game back on track this year.

Bisonator
July 15th, 2013, 07:54 AM

You can say that all you want. You don't think 80% of other teams aren't thinking the same thing? Sounds good in theory, now they just have to prove it on the field!

darell1976
July 15th, 2013, 08:11 AM
You can say that all you want. You don't think 80% of other teams aren't thinking the same thing? Sounds good in theory, now they just have to prove it on the field!

You said it.

geaux_sioux
July 15th, 2013, 09:20 AM
You can say that all you want. You don't think 80% of other teams aren't thinking the same thing?

No. EWU won't have nearly the weapons on offense. MSU lost some very good players on defense so they won't think they'll be improved on d. Cal Poly lost their stud qb and rb so they won't be better on offense. NDSU on the other hand didn't lose much and will be improved across the board.

I agree that it needs to happen on the field but disagree that most team can say they'll be improved.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 15th, 2013, 11:55 AM

We're definitely gonna find out gs but I am completely the other way on this one. We went to the semi's the year previous and then to 5-6 the next season with coaching changes and loss of QB. That coaching staff had only a couple of months to try and put it together so they were having trouble right away. That QB is back and hopefully leading the way he did previously. After last year I can't see UND having the improvement level that we will.

But as I pointed out early on, that's the beauty of the offseason and the individual hope we all have at this point.xthumbsupx

geaux_sioux
July 15th, 2013, 02:57 PM
We're definitely gonna find out gs but I am completely the other way on this one. We went to the semi's the year previous and then to 5-6 the next season with coaching changes and loss of QB. That coaching staff had only a couple of months to try and put it together so they were having trouble right away. That QB is back and hopefully leading the way he did previously. After last year I can't see UND having the improvement level that we will.

But as I pointed out early on, that's the beauty of the offseason and the individual hope we all have at this point.xthumbsupx

QB will be the key for both teams. Will your guy be rusty? Can't down play the rust factor but on the other hand he'll certainly be better than the two QBs we saw in GF last year.

How do you feel about your coaches? Were they victims of last years circumstances or are they actually hapless?

FCSfan
July 15th, 2013, 03:49 PM
I think the talent is there for Montana to be solid if the coaches figure it out. NDSU will be the team to beat in the FCS.
both places are amazing college football venues and the fans are a blast to tailgate with.

Hammerhead
July 16th, 2013, 08:11 AM
I would love to see NDSU and UND face each other in the playoffs since a regular season matchup isn't in the works.

Didn't they put new turf in the Alerus Center last year?

darell1976
July 16th, 2013, 08:59 AM
I would love to see NDSU and UND face each other in the playoffs since a regular season matchup isn't in the works.

Didn't they put new turf in the Alerus Center last year?

They did but they had to replace it this spring due to an installation error.

UNDBIZ
July 16th, 2013, 09:26 AM
They did but they had to replace it this spring due to an installation error.

I believe it was the same company that did the Fargodome's new turf and they had to replace it there also.

Bisonator
July 16th, 2013, 09:45 AM
I believe it was the same company that did the Fargodome's new turf and they had to replace it there also.

Did UND buy the turf that got replaced for the IPF? Or wasn't that an option? NDSU bought the replaced turf and it is now being installed on one of the outdoor practice fields.

UNDBIZ
July 16th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Did UND buy the turf that got replaced for the IPF? Or wasn't that an option? NDSU bought the replaced turf and it is now being installed on one of the outdoor practice fields.

I've heard that the replaced turf will be used for the IPF, but I haven't seen official confirmation of that anywhere.

UNDColorado
July 16th, 2013, 11:18 AM
I've heard that the replaced turf will be used for the IPF, but I haven't seen official confirmation of that anywhere.

I have heard that too but nothing official. It would definitely make sense to do that.

darell1976
July 17th, 2013, 11:14 AM
New UND video promoting season tickets:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtOcb8ymSUM

I see this and wish it was fall!!

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 19th, 2013, 08:07 PM
New UND video promoting season tickets:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtOcb8ymSUM

I see this and wish it was fall!!

What are UND's season tickets #s?

IBleedYellow
July 20th, 2013, 06:29 AM
Playing ranked teams # 10 , 9, 2 and 7. If you guys don't have a defense this year, you can say hello to 4 losses at least, not even trying to smite you because you're UND, either (this time! :D).

Hopefully you're able to be Montana State, since that cowardly AD wouldn't play us. As long as they go 0-2 in ND this year (second loss to us in the playoffs!)

UNDColorado
July 20th, 2013, 10:23 AM
What are UND's season tickets #s?

Good question. I do know that attendance was up last year by 1300 per game and as of last week ticket sales are tracking better than last year. We won't sell out this year though.

UNDColorado
July 20th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Playing ranked teams # 10 , 9, 2 and 7. If you guys don't have a defense this year, you can say hello to 4 losses at least, not even trying to smite you because you're UND, either (this time! :D).

Hopefully you're able to be Montana State, since that cowardly AD wouldn't play us. As long as they go 0-2 in ND this year (second loss to us in the playoffs!)

You are spot on man. We have a tough first half and could easily find ourselves with four losses. I think the goal has gotta be 2-2 through that stretch. Yes beating MSU would be sweet; I also thought it was a cowardly move to back out that late. You'll get your shot at them.

darell1976
July 20th, 2013, 02:48 PM

Dead on!! UND's D better be a lot better with new coaches and a year older for the players. If not its going to be a long season because it doesn't get easier until late in the season.

UNDColorado
July 22nd, 2013, 09:44 AM
New away unis displayed this morning:

http://instagram.com/p/cEgVyqNcLx/

The image isn't working so here is link: http://instagram.com/p/cEgVyqNcLx/

darell1976
July 22nd, 2013, 11:55 AM

Looks really good!!

darell1976
July 22nd, 2013, 01:28 PM
New roster additions:

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=208730485

GRAND FORKS, N.D. – With players set to report for fall camp in two weeks, University of North Dakota head coach Chris Mussman announced the addition of Delwaun Beard and Humberto Espinoza to the 2013 roster. Both Beard and Espinoza signed scholarship papers earlier this summer to play for the program.

Beard is a 6-foot-3, 230-pound defensive end from Culver City (Calif.) High School where he earned All-Ocean League second team honors as a senior. He finished the season with 78 total tackles and six sacks.

Espinoza is a transfer from Feather River Community College where he was named to the Region II All-California First Team Defense in 2012. He also earned All-Mid Empire Conference honors as a sophomore after collecting 50 tackles. Espinoza added 4.5 sacks and 13 tackles for a loss during his final JUCO season. As a freshman in 2011, he totaled 51 tackles, including 12 for a loss.

As a senior at Spanish Springs (Calif.) High School, Espinoza racked up 60 tackles and 10 sacks in 2010.

Players report for fall camp on Thursday, Aug. 1 and will practice for the first time on Saturday, Aug. 3.

New pics of the away uniforms:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/darell1976/jersey-1.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/darell1976/media/jersey-1.jpg.html)
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/darell1976/jersey1.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/darell1976/media/jersey1.jpg.html)

slostang
July 22nd, 2013, 01:29 PM

Same style as UND's all black. They look good.

darell1976
July 22nd, 2013, 01:40 PM
http://www.undsports.com/club/std/ViewCategory.dbml?SPSID=58640&SPID=6399&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=13500&OEM_ID=&KEY=&CAT_SPORT_ID=6399&submitted=YES

New video to show the entire Alerus Center's new turf and logos.

WeAreNorthDakota
July 22nd, 2013, 01:45 PM

I like them also. Hopefully next season we get a matching green set so we can go back to wearing green at home with the blacks as an alternate.

UNDColorado
July 22nd, 2013, 01:46 PM

Yeah I think so too. Nice to have matching patterns on home and away jerseys.

UNDColorado
July 22nd, 2013, 01:47 PM
I like them also. Hopefully next season we get a matching green set so we can go back to wearing green at home with the blacks as an alternate.

Absolutely, a new home green would be great. Our current greens are horrid IMO so wearing the blacks all last season didn't bother me. Blacks should be for big games once or twice per year.

WeAreNorthDakota
July 22nd, 2013, 01:50 PM
Absolutely, a new home green would be great. Our current greens are horrid IMO so wearing the blacks all last season didn't bother me. Blacks should be for big games once or twice per year.

Yup. A green set with the same design as the new ones and a color that matches the helmets would make for a solid uniform set. I'd be more than happy with that until we get a new nickname.

darell1976
July 22nd, 2013, 02:36 PM

I wonder what the unis will look like in 2015 with the new nickname and logo. Traditionally football uniforms hasn't really displayed the logo on the jersey except during the Indian head logo era (2001-2011). I am sure the helmets will stick with the UND logo like now and in the past but will the field show the new logo and nickname?

darell1976
July 30th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Newest UND season ticket promotion: Order season tickets and have it delivered by UND staff and athletes in 30 minutes or less, or its free!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZRtdX4keTQ

IMO I think its a nice gesture. Gives a chance for the fans to interact with coaches, etc. Also its a way to attract new season ticket customers.

UNDBIZ
July 30th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Newest UND season ticket promotion: Order season tickets and have it delivered by UND staff and athletes in 30 minutes or less, or its free!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZRtdX4keTQ

IMO I think its a nice gesture. Gives a chance for the fans to interact with coaches, etc. Also its a way to attract new season ticket customers.

Not a fan of the possibility of UND giving out free tickets, but I think the idea of fans getting to interact with the coaches/players is decent. Commercial is funny and a good way of getting people to talk about the team. I wonder if that cart is street-legal.... don't want to overtake ndsu as the team of lawbreakers in this state xshhhx xsmiley_wix

frozennorth
July 30th, 2013, 03:49 PM
think of giving away season tickets this year as a way to get new season ticket holders in the future.

UNDBIZ
July 30th, 2013, 03:54 PM
think of giving away season tickets this year as a way to get new season ticket holders in the future.

I'd prefer not to devalue the product any more than what's already been done by poor performance over the past 5 years.

darell1976
July 30th, 2013, 03:56 PM

I am sure they looked at who ordered tickets, where they live and you do know its not just those two in the video delivering tickets. Its the GF/EGF metro. They aren't driving to Fargo or Minneapolis.

darell1976
July 30th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Not a fan of the possibility of UND giving out free tickets, but I think the idea of fans getting to interact with the coaches/players is decent. Commercial is funny and a good way of getting people to talk about the team. I wonder if that cart is street-legal.... don't want to overtake ndsu as the team of lawbreakers in this state xshhhx xsmiley_wix

I don't think its street legal, I am sure they had the GFPD permission for the video that's why the only street they really drove on was University Ave on campus with a speed limit of 20mph they were fine. BTW I would love to go for a ride in that car..just hope the players don't during a game.

UNDColorado
July 30th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Fortunately Grand Forks / EGF isn't really that large geographically. There is also not really a rush hour so you should be able to get from one end of town to the other in under 20 minutes any time of day.

If they are smart about it they will be purposefully be a few minutes late on a couple deliveries (maybe a high profile community member) because happy word of mouth buzz goes a long way. (this theory is only relevant if the promotion is selling well of course) Once again, just a theory.

darell1976
July 30th, 2013, 04:01 PM
Fortunately Grand Forks / EGF isn't really that large geographically. There is also not really a rush hour so you should be able to get from one end of town to the other in under 20 minutes any time of day.

If they are smart about it they will be purposefully be a few minutes late on a couple deliveries (maybe a high profile community member) because happy word of mouth buzz goes a long way. (this theory is only relevant if the promotion is selling well of course) Once again, just a theory.

The end of the video says July 31st from 10-4. If they avoid 32nd (construction), Washington/DeMers at lunch time there won't be a problem.

frozennorth
July 30th, 2013, 04:01 PM
i thought NDSU was still trying to overtake bobby stroup?

frozennorth
July 30th, 2013, 04:03 PM
I'd prefer not to devalue the product any more than what's already been done by poor performance over the past 5 years.

would you say this cheapens it? I think its a pretty cleaver gimmick to get around cheapening it.

darell1976
July 30th, 2013, 04:04 PM
would you say this cheapens it? I think its a pretty cleaver gimmick to get around cheapening it.

Most schools have discounts on tickets at one time or another including NDSU. I know pretty shocking huh.

darell1976
July 31st, 2013, 07:47 PM
http://www.wdaz.com/event/article/id/18785/group/Sports/

Dexter Albrecht, UND's Director of Ticket Sales and Promotions, "I thought it would be a fun way to get the word out about our football tickets and we're already over last year's sales so I thought it would be a fun add on, get our players and coaches out in the community and do something fun for our fans."

Here’s how it worked: Fans called the box office to order the tickets. Those tickets were than rushed to the fan and if they weren’t delivered in less than a half hour, you guessed it, they were free.

Josh Kotelnicki, UND defensive coordinator, "A lot of our fans, especially our long time fans will enjoy getting the chance to meet one of the coaches or one of our players and put a face with the name."

Greg Hardin, UND senior wide receiver, "The experience to meet some of the fans that come out and support us is a great opportunity for us to show that we care about our fans as well."

57 tickets were sold (goal of 50) all within 30 minutes, doesn't sound like much but its a nice way to get people into the seats. Its a nice promotion by UND and maybe they can do it for other sports that need more fans like Volleyball or basketball. Hockey has no problems as I am sure the waiting line for season tickets is long.

BisonFan02
July 31st, 2013, 09:18 PM
http://www.wdaz.com/event/article/id/18785/group/Sports/

57 tickets were sold (goal of 50) all within 30 minutes, doesn't sound like much but its a nice way to get people into the seats. Its a nice promotion by UND and maybe they can do it for other sports that need more fans like Volleyball or basketball. Hockey has no problems as I am sure the waiting line for season tickets is long.

Got my 9

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1097204_10151623258653889_1388654067_o.jpg

UNDBIZ
August 1st, 2013, 07:58 AM
Got my 9

Catholic farm family huh? xsmiley_wix

darell1976
August 1st, 2013, 08:03 AM
Season ticket sales have surpassed totals dating back to at least 2005. Things are looking good!!

BisonFan02
August 1st, 2013, 08:59 AM
Catholic farm family huh? xsmiley_wix

Haha, no. I've got some extended fam and buds covered. :)

darell1976
August 1st, 2013, 09:54 AM
Got my 9

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1097204_10151623258653889_1388654067_o.jpg

Delivered by Coach Bohl or Travis Beck since he has some free time on his hands. ;)

UNDColorado
August 1st, 2013, 10:06 AM
Unnecessary Darryl. You do make me laugh though.

darell1976
August 1st, 2013, 10:12 AM
Unnecessary Darryl. You do make me laugh though.

Just a little smack. xlolx

BisonFan02
August 1st, 2013, 10:43 AM
Delivered by Coach Bohl or Travis Beck since he has some free time on his hands. ;)

Nope, but considering those 9 tix cost me $1,600 (or equivalent to 21.33 UND season tix at 75 each....which equates to 38% of the revenue you earned on this 30 minutes or less promotion)...maybe I should have had them send me a limo?

UNDBIZ
August 1st, 2013, 11:53 AM
Nope, but considering those 9 tix cost me $1,600 (or equivalent to 21.33 UND season tix at 75 each....which equates to 38% of the revenue you earned on this 30 minutes or less promotion)...maybe I should have had them send me a limo?

Yes UND's tickets are cheaper than ndsu's right now, can't dispute that and ndsu has earned it with recent play. But to be fair, UND's start at $75. I'd assume you didn't get the cheapest seats in the fargodome.....

BisonFan02
August 1st, 2013, 12:21 PM
Yes UND's tickets are cheaper than ndsu's right now, can't dispute that and ndsu has earned it with recent play. But to be fair, UND's start at $75. I'd assume you didn't get the cheapest seats in the fargodome.....

Fair enough, I pay 175 per ticket for sideline tickets and you can get endzone season tix for 125. How much are your endzone season tickets? :D

darell1976
August 1st, 2013, 12:26 PM
Fair enough, I pay 175 per ticket for sideline tickets and you can get endzone season tix for 125. How much are your endzone season tickets? :D

I wish the Alerus had end one seating, that could've pushed the capacity to maybe 15k.

AmsterBison
August 1st, 2013, 12:47 PM

Good luck getting season tickets if you haven't had them before. The bar for getting a single ticket in a Team Makers section if you didn't have a ticket before was set at over $20,000 in lifetime donations. Bet it is up to $25,000 next year.

344Johnson
August 1st, 2013, 12:48 PM
I wish the Alerus had end one seating, that could've pushed the capacity to maybe 15k.

It'd look even less full....

UNDBIZ
August 1st, 2013, 01:23 PM

$75 and first come, first served. Unfortunately it's often standing room only on the endzones. :p

darell1976
August 1st, 2013, 01:42 PM
It'd look even less full....

Funny how you say that when NDSU had that problem just 3 years ago. 12k against SIU in 2010? Amazing what happens when you win.xpeacex

344Johnson
August 1st, 2013, 02:15 PM
Funny how you say that when NDSU had that problem just 3 years ago. 12k against SIU in 2010? Amazing what happens when you win.xpeacex

What unspeakable things would Faison do to get 12,000 people at a UND game.....we'll never know...

geaux_sioux
August 1st, 2013, 02:30 PM
What unspeakable things would Faison do to get 12,000 people at a UND game.....we'll never know...
Unfortunately for you that is the equivalent of 6000 at a UND game.

344Johnson
August 1st, 2013, 02:33 PM
Unfortunately for you that is the equivalent of 6000 at a UND game.

What is your basis for thinking like that? Does NDSU have twice as many alumni? Does NDSU have a 2-1 majority of fans?

BisonBohl
August 1st, 2013, 02:57 PM
We all see the direction this thread is heading...Shocker.

geaux_sioux
August 1st, 2013, 03:08 PM
What is your basis for thinking like that? Does NDSU have twice as many alumni? Does NDSU have a 2-1 majority of fans?
Population of FM metro = 212,171. GF metro = 98,888. You have more than twice as many people available within your metro area. Or we could say that 12000 was about 65% capacity which would translate to 8450 in the Alerus.

Bisonoline
August 1st, 2013, 03:16 PM
Population of FM metro = 212,171. GF metro = 98,888. You have more than twice as many people available within your metro area. Or we could say that 12000 was about 65% capacity which would translate to 8450 in the Alerus.

Wow got anymore excuses? Either you fill it up or you don't.

aces1180
August 1st, 2013, 03:18 PM

Yeah...Because all Bison fans that go to games live in the F-M Metro. xlolx

344Johnson
August 1st, 2013, 03:26 PM

By your logic, Minnesota should have an enormous stadium dominate attendance in the B1G.

darell1976
August 1st, 2013, 03:54 PM
UND ticket sales is around 700-1000 more than last year with still this month to go. Looks like UND will get that Alerus packed like it was during our DII days.

UNDBIZ
August 1st, 2013, 04:00 PM
UND ticket sales is around 700-1000 more than last year with still this month to go. Looks like UND will get that Alerus packed like it was during our DII days.

With a good season this year, next year could be the one to get the Al rockin. One bad thing about our competitive schedule this year is if we don't play well it could alienate a lot of potential fans for a long time.

UNDColorado
August 1st, 2013, 04:44 PM
With a good season this year, next year could be the one to get the Al rockin. One bad thing about our competitive schedule this year is if we don't play well it could alienate a lot of potential fans for a long time.

True story.

Look at this from a different angle: four of our seven home games are against top notch opponents: SDSU, UM, MSU, EWU...nobody other than maybe the team and coaches expects to win all four of those games. If we can come out of those games 2-2, with no blowouts losses then we should be okay. Fans who expect to go 4-0 through that stretch are unrealistic.

I can't wait until kickoff so we can stop speculating and let this thing play out!

darell1976
August 1st, 2013, 04:56 PM
True story.

Look at this from a different angle: four of our seven home games are against top notch opponents: SDSU, UM, MSU, EWU...nobody other than maybe the team and coaches expects to win all four of those games. If we can come out of those games 2-2, with no blowouts losses then we should be okay. Fans who expect to go 4-0 through that stretch are unrealistic.

I can't wait until kickoff so we can stop speculating and let this thing play out!

In the first 4 games at minimal 2 wins Valpo and UM (IMO) I think UND gets 1 win between MSU and EWU.

geaux_sioux
August 1st, 2013, 05:53 PM
Apparently some of you Bison fans are more dense than Osmiun. To compare 12000 people in a 20000 seat stadium to 12000 people in a 13000 seat stadium is pure tomfoolery. If you don't get it then I've got nothing for you.

darell1976
August 2nd, 2013, 04:48 PM
Camp updates:

http://siouxfb.areavoices.com/2013/08/02/camp-schedule-stuff/

◾TE/LS Taylor Grant is no longer on the roster. We heard he has transferred somewhere closer to his hometown of Minneapolis but have not confirmed where. Grant was the team’s starting long snapper.
◾RS Freshman NG Mike Edwards is beginning fall camp on the injured list. He apparently hurt his leg/foot in spring ball and is still being held out.
◾RS Freshman OG Dustin Adams is also beginning fall camp on the injured list. He too should be back sometime in August. Sr. WR RJ McGill is also in the same boat.
◾RS Freshman QB’s Joe Mollberg and Ryan Bartels are starting camp 1A and 1B on the depth chart.
◾All members of the 2013 signing class are on campus and ready to go. No ‘Joe Schobert situations’ this year.
◾Incoming freshman AJ Stockwell is being listed as a Tight End on the roster. We assumed he would be an offensive tackle. Show’s the athleticism that he possesses.

Fall Camp Schedule
Date Times (Practice #)
Sat., Aug. 3 9:15 a.m. (1)
Sun, Aug. 4 9:15 a.m. (2)
Mon., Aug. 5 9:15 a.m. (3)
Tues., Aug. 6 9:15 a.m. (4)
Wed., Aug. 7 9:15 a.m. (5)
Thur., Aug. 8 9:15 a.m. (6)
- 3:15 p.m. (7)
Fri., Aug. 9 9:15 a.m. (8)
Sat., Aug. 10 9:15 a.m. (9)
- 3:15 p.m. (10)
Mon., Aug. 12 9:15 a.m. (11)
Tues., Aug. 13 9:15 a.m. (12)
- 3:15 p.m. (13)
Wed., Aug. 14 9:15 a.m. (14)
Thurs. Aug. 15 9:15 a.m. (15)
- 3:15 p.m. (16)
Fri., Aug. 16 9:15 a.m. (17)
Sat., Aug. 17 9:15 a.m. (18)
- 3:15 p.m. (19)
Mon., Aug. 19 9:15 a.m. (20)
Tues., Aug. 20 9:15 a.m. (21)
- 3:15 p.m. (22)
Wed., Aug. 21 9:15 a.m. (23)
Thur., Aug. 22 9:15 a.m. (24)
Fri., Aug. 23 9:15 a.m. (25)
Sat., Aug. 24 3:15 p.m. (26)
Mon., Aug. 26 2:30 p.m. (27)
Tues., Aug. 27 3:25 p.m. (28)
Wed., Aug. 28 4 p.m. (29)

darell1976
August 3rd, 2013, 04:50 PM
UND's series Brick By Brick (a daily report on camp, and a player profile)
http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=58640&SPID=6399&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=208902763&DB_OEM_ID=13500
Day 1

COUNTDOWN TO KICKOFF: 28 Days

Daily Report
Report day is a busy one for all the newcomers to the North Dakota football team. There are 25 total this year and today is when they all move into the dormitories, get acclimated a little bit to Grand Forks and meet the coaching and support staff at a newcomer's dinner.

Following the dinner, it is down to business for all 95 football players permitted to attend fall camp. The squad will converge on Gamble Hall for the initial team meeting of fall camp.

Head coach Chris Mussman will set the tone for the next four weeks, go over rules and policies and also provide players the chance to introduce themselves in front of the entire team.

From there, the team will break up into position groups where playbooks and expectations will be dealt out by the assistant coaches.

What's on tap for Friday
The players are not quite ready to hit the field just yet as day two of fall camp is set aside for physicals that last all morning and a compliance meeting that will cover most of the afternoon.

Day 2
http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=58640&SPID=6399&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=208921360&DB_OEM_ID=13500

COUNTDOWN TO KICKOFF: 27 Days

Daily Report
With introductions and the first team meeting behind them, the 95 players on the roster spent Friday going through the mundane, but necessary tasks of medical physicals and compliance meetings.

Following a team dinner, the team split into position meetings and a special teams meetings before going through a conditioning test at 8 p.m. That will be the last thing on the agenda for the day.

Notes
- Redshirt freshman J.J. Robertson has left the program and will not return.
- Senior safety Will Lewis will wear No. 7 this season. He wore No. 27 last season.
- Redshirt freshman quarterback Ryan Bartels will wear No. 6 after starting the fall in No. 7.
- All 25 newcomers reported on time and will be here for fall camp. Defensive lineman Berto Espinoza is the lone junior-college transfer among the bunch. He comes to UND from Feather River Community College in California.

What's on tap for Saturday
The players will take to the field for practice No. 1 of fall camp at 9:15 a.m. This will be the first of 29 practices leading up to the season opener vs. Valparaiso. The squad will also put in a couple of hours getting educated on the NCAA in the afternoon.

Day 3
http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=58640&SPID=6399&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=208929063&DB_OEM_ID=13500

Daily Report
Head coach Chris Mussman and his squad took to the Memorial Stadium field for the first time this fall on a perfect morning for football. With temperatures hovering in the high 60s and low 70s throughout on a sun-drenched day in Grand Forks, the team got in 18 periods of work.

"I really liked what I saw today. Both sides of the ball had good energy and played at a nice tempo," Mussman said afterwards. "It was a great start to our practices. I liked what our coaches were doing. Everything was crisp."

Notes
- Senior Chavon Mackey, who is switching to safety this season, provided a spark for the defense in the opening skelly drills by intercepting a corner route thrown by Joe Mollberg.
- Senior co-captains Garrison Goodman and Blair Townsend provided the hardest collision of the day in what was supposed to be a no-contact drill. Goodman made a nice break on a pass and jarred the ball loose from Townsend, who took the brunt of the hit. However, the savvy senior responded on the next play with a nice diving catch over the middle.
- With Seth Wisthoff, who graduated, and Taylor Grant, who was a two-year starter on long snaps, no longer on the squad, there were several players working on snapping both for punts and place kicks. Among those getting in some snapping work were redshirt freshman Brandon Larson, who is also a reserve linebacker; Casey Young, who is a sophomore wide receiver; and defensive tackle Mike Edwards.
- There was also a long line of players auditioning for punt return duties. That group included junior running back Jer Garman, wide receivers R.J. McGill and Kenny Golladay and cornerback Chris Brown.

What's on tap for Sunday
Sunday is nearly a mirror image of Saturday's schedule except the players get the night off following the team dinner. The team will be back on the practice field at 9:15 a.m. and have another afternoon of NCAA Education.

darell1976
August 4th, 2013, 07:56 PM
http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=208934060

COUNTDOWN TO KICKOFF: 25 Days

Daily Report
It was another unseasonably cool day at Memorial Stadium as the UND football team went through its second 18-period practice of fall camp. Head coach Chris Mussman was pleased again with what he saw from his squad, commending the defense for flying to the football and bringing consistent energy to the session. Mussman also encouraged the newcomers, who might be feeling a bit overwhelmed, that mistakes at this point in fall camp are natural and the more repititions they get, the more they will learn in order to erase those miscues.

Notes
- The amount of up-downs the defense had to do shrunk drastically and, in turn, the players did a better a job of finishing plays and running to the football. The message the defensive coaches are trying to get through to the players is working as the "loafs" were far less frequent from that side of the ball.
- Defensive back Rumeal Harris had the lone interception of the practice during skelly work off a pass by Jake Hanson. Harris did a nice job of cutting in front of the intended wide receiver and securing the catch.
- Hanson would make amends for that miscue by connecting with sophomore Romon Bridges on the best passing play of the practice in the final team drills. Bridges got behind the defense and hauled in the tightly-thrown spiral from Hanson.
- Dr. Kelley (UND's president) and Brian Faison (UND's director of athletics) both watched most of the practice from the Memorial Stadium grandstands.

What's on tap for Monday
The third-straight morning practice will be followed by the team's annual Media Day event at the Alerus Center. A dozen players will join the coaching staff, support staff and media members for a luncheon at the home of UND football. Afterwards, the players will return to Memorial Stadium and have their head shots taken for the media guide, gameday program and other various uses. Team time and meetings will wrap up the day following dinner.

darell1976
August 5th, 2013, 06:34 PM
http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=208948460

Daily Report
Head coach Chris Mussman always looks forward to Media Day, which is usually held on the first Monday of fall camp. The added exposure is great for the program and gives the chance for several players to project their feelings on the upcoming season on various platforms.

But, for Mussman's sake, he likes this day mostly because it is the last distraction for his squad in terms of outside elements interferring with getting better on the football field. The team can now turn its entire attention to what happens on the gridiron.

The team did get a spirited 20-session practice in before the two-hour "Media Day" event at the Alerus Center. It was the longest practice among the first three as the squad donned shoulder pads for the first time.

Quarterbacks coach Danny Freund let his unit know that despite the energy being high on the defensive side of the ball in the opening two practices, putting on pads always adds a little intrigue as well as intensity from that side of the ball.

"I told our guys to go out there and try to win the day and leave the field feeling like you got better," Freund said. "I felt like we did that."

Freund also said his young stable of quarterbacks are progressing well, especiallly Joe Mollberg and Ryan Bartels, who were run through the gauntlet of media personel at the luncheon following the practice.

"Both Ryan and Joe are playing well right now. They're making the right reads, getting the ball out quick and the most important thing is they are portraying confidence," Fruend added. "They are not acting like freshmen on the field and our offensive line and wide receivers are starting to see that."

Notes
- Twelve different players represented the football team at the annual "Media Day" event at the home of UND football. Those dozen players (Ryan Bartels, Daryl Brown, Baylee Carr, Cordero Finley, Kenny Golladay, Garrison Goodman, Greg Hardin, Jake Miller, Joe Mollberg, Joe Kleason, Ben Peters, Blair Townsend were joined by head coach Chris Mussman and his coaching staff.
- Radio play-by-play announcer Jack Michaels was on hand to administer the emcee duties and did so flawlessly once again.
- Mussman provided a brief run down of both sides of the ball and the special teams unit, while also touching on the challenging schedule that awaits his team in 2013.
- Captains Garrison Goodman and Blair Townsend were also brought up to the podium to answer a couple of questions from Michaels.
- Media members from WDAZ, Valley News Live, Fox Fargo, Clear Channel Radio, Midco Sports Network and the Grand Forks Herald were all in attendance to cover the event.
- Following media day, the football players and coaching staff had their head shots taken for the upcoming season. Check out www.instagram.com/undfootball to see who had the "Best Grin of the Day"
- Mussman's entire speech from the program is available here on UNDSports.com.

What's on tap for Tuesday
With all the administration and media responsibilities out of the way, Tuesday is the first strictly all football day the team will have. It starts with practice No. 4, includes lifting and film study and will conclude with special teams and position meetings.

darell1976
August 8th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Defense seems improved!!!

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=208977661

Daily Report
Full pads always bring a little more intensity to a practice session and that was evident on Wednesday at Memorial Stadium as those were donned for the first time by the North Dakota football team.

Head coach Chris Mussman and his staff implemented a new system that drew mixed reviews, but the sixth-year head coach feels like that it will be better received as the team practices "thud tempo" more often.

"It's the first time we have done 'thud tempo', where we allow the defense to wrap up the ball carrier," Mussman said. "We have certain rules to it and it was difficult at times, so that was a little sloppy.

"And, that leads to tempers flaring sometimes, so we had a few fracases break out. But, those are lessons we have to learn because we can't do that and succeed as a football team."

One area Mussman was pleased with after watching his squad in full pads for the first time was the defensive side of the ball.

"I have been very pleased with us defensively and I'm not saying I have been displeased with us offensively, but the defense has made great strides," he added. "They are playing with a lot of energy. I am starting to see players like (safety) Javen Butler start to figure it out. These are things that are important for us. That's the key right now. If we can get our guys playing fast, playing in the right spot and playing with high energy, we have a chance to get back to how we are used to playing defense."

Notes
- Quarterbacks coach Danny Freund took his five signal callers to the opposite end of the field to work on their deep ball throwing, while the rest of the team went through placekicking drills during a special teams period. The goal was for the quarterbacks to fire the football into a trash can about 40 yards away on both drop backs and roll outs. Redshirt freshman Ryan Bartels hit the can the most with classmate Joe Mollberg not far behind. Senior wide receiver Greg Hardin wanted to try out his arm, so he took a couple of throws. The Nebraska native was the only one to land a throw in the trash can after he misfired badly on his first three attempts. His make did draw a lot of whoops and hollers by those watching. No need to fret, he will remain at wide receiver.
- The defense came up with two interceptions during team drills at the end of practice with safety Chavon Mackey picking off a deflected pass and cornerback Chris Brown hauling in a deep attempt from Joe Mollberg to Kenny Golladay.

What's on tap for Thursday
After conducting one practice each of the last five days, the North Dakota football team will have its first two-a-day of fall camp.

Maybe they could use Hardin on a trick play.

geaux_sioux
August 8th, 2013, 10:07 PM
http://youtu.be/S_yB76lQ7CM

darell1976
August 8th, 2013, 11:17 PM

Great beginning to the series!! I can't wait until football season starts.

UNDBIZ
August 14th, 2013, 04:00 PM

Could do without the advertisement for football's greatest competition for attendance this fall, other than that I'm glad they brought it back again this year.

UNDColorado
August 14th, 2013, 08:34 PM
New episode should be up tomorrow night!

UNDColorado
August 16th, 2013, 09:00 AM
Opening Drive volume 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_4cu96pRIc

darell1976
August 20th, 2013, 06:13 PM
http://siouxfb.areavoices.com/2013/08/20/week-two-update-defense/

Week Two Update – Defense

Posted on August 20, 2013 by oskie

Overall, it appears the defense is playing pretty well. We are tempering our enthusiasm based on last year’s results but they seem to be playing at a quicker tempo, etc. It is also apparent they are starting to build the depth needed to compete at the FCS level but it will be an ongoing process. This year’s freshman class is by far the best defense group they have brought in since the transition to FCS and should solidify a host of positions in the next couple years.

Tackling in fall camp appears to be much better thus far. Making a few one-on-one tackle’s at key times can change the outlook of an entire game. Last year they missed way too many of those type’s of tackles and it resulted in a historically bad year for the defense. The players need to execute better this season.

The defensive line is one of those positions that is starting to build some quality depth. Starters Seth Stanchik and Spencer Cummings are the anchors and are going to relied on to play the majority of the snaps. NG is where there is a mass of humanity in starter Ben Henson, freshman Mike Edwards, and freshman Marcus Cheatom, who could get his redshirt pulled but needs to show more. We like what they have at NG. The defensive end positions are where quality depth needs to be developed through game reps. Senior EJ Welch will be in the rotation and we are expecting a big jump from him as he has been playing well thus far. After that we are watching to see who emerges out of the group of Kyle Woodsmall, Alec Carrothers, and Humberto Espinoza, who didn’t play much early but now is out there consistently.

Still watching the corner battle opposite Daryl Brown. Chris Hall looks to be the starter but Chris Brown has also had a nice camp and will play. Unfortunately, freshman Dan Konowalski had some sort of academic issue and does not appear to be eligible to play this fall. We will see if anything changes when school starts.

Will Ratelle has solidified his spot in the ILB rotation behind Garrison Goodman. Early on he was listed behind senior Brian Otto but Ratelle has had a nice camp so far and we see him moving up the chart.

The battle at OLB is with the backups. Seniors Dom Bennett and Cordero Finley have a stranglehold on the starting spots. Sophomore Dayo Idowu seems a lock for the one backup spot but the other is up in the air. Junior Garrett Reineke and junior Alex Hickel – both local boys – are right there midway through camp. Hickel is currently Bennett’s backup on the strongside while Reineke is behind Idowu on the weakside. Freshman Taj Rich is another we are watching to see if he is able to play his way onto the field this season other than special teams. To get on special teams the player must be in the Top 3 of his position.

Highly regarded freshman safety Cole Reyes is having thumb surgery in the near future. We don’t know exactly what happened but Reyes had an outside chance of getting his shirt pulled based on what we saw from his high school film and his natural fluidity in the back row. This injury should render him to a redshirt year this fall.

Even though there is 11 safeties on the roster, don’t be totally surprised if true freshman Cam Kuksa gets a look at playing right away – like vs. Valpo. He has had a nice camp and could easily pass up a few of the veterans to nab one of the backup safety spots. Kuksa is very athletic and loves to hit. He is a physical threat to WRs over the middle.

We are starting to think Chavon Mackey may have been a safety playing corner this whole time. He has looked alright so far this fall camp at his new position but needs to bring consistency if he is going to play safety. Baylee Carr should be the other starter vs Valpo.

Keep an eye on safety William James this fall. He may not log a ton of defensive reps but he will undoubtedly be on most special teams. The Swedish transfer loves to lay the lumber and should provide some entertainment on UND kickoffs.

As far as first-year eligible players go (redshirt freshman) here are following guys we feel will see the field consistently this fall (either on defense or on special teams):

- Brian Labat (ILB) Mostly special teams if gets in Top 3

- Taj Rich (OLB) Mostly special teams if gets in Top 3 at OLB

- Mike Edwards (NG) Nose guard reps

- Devin Coyle (S) Mostly special teams (currently 3rd on depth chart at S)

- Alec Carrothers (DL) Defensive end reps

Looks like some exciting times in the next couple years. I hope this year gets UND in the playoffs, and next year and after that we start hunting for a National Title run.

UNDColorado
August 21st, 2013, 09:35 AM
At this point I am just looking forward to getting the season started...in only 8 days! Can't wait!

darell1976
August 21st, 2013, 10:08 AM
At this point I am just looking forward to getting the season started...in only 8 days! Can't wait!

I know, I keep looking at my tickets for the SDSU game and want September to be here.