PDA

View Full Version : GA Southerns Erk Russell dies

nothingbutjsu
September 8th, 2006, 11:00 AM
GA Southerns Erk Russell died in car accident Friday morning.

dbackjon
September 8th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Very sorry to hear that - condolences to the entire GSU program.

OL FU
September 8th, 2006, 11:04 AM
It is fair to say that today we are all Eagles.

September 8th, 2006, 11:07 AM
very sad news

nothingbutjsu
September 8th, 2006, 11:07 AM
This was a tremendous loss to the SoCon, GSU and 1AA football.:(
Our prayers go out to his family and the GSU family.

Cap'n Cat
September 8th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Terrible news. Erk is, perhaps, THE icon of I-AA. Helped put true championship football on the map.

: smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh :

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

LeopardFan04
September 8th, 2006, 11:15 AM
My condolences to the GSU family...

elkmcc
September 8th, 2006, 11:17 AM
A true legend in his own time. Very sad news. My condolences to the family and all that is GSU.

HIU 93
September 8th, 2006, 11:19 AM
My condolences and prayers go to the Russel family.

Proud Griz Man
September 8th, 2006, 11:22 AM
My condolences and prayers go to the Russel family.

Mine too, and to the whole GSU family.

blukeys
September 8th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Condolenced to the GSU faithful and Russell family. A Giant is gone.

Blueandwhitefightfight
September 8th, 2006, 11:26 AM
The University just released the official press release regarding this.

www.GeorgiaSouthern.edu

McNeese75
September 8th, 2006, 11:30 AM
I must add my condolences here.

The Cats
September 8th, 2006, 11:42 AM
My condolences to the Russell family and GSU.

psc2445
September 8th, 2006, 11:48 AM
condolensces to the gsu family

griz37
September 8th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Griz Nation sends out its condolences to the GSU family. A very sad loss.

blur2005
September 8th, 2006, 11:57 AM
I'm really sorry to hear this. Huge loss for the I-AA community.

chattanoogamocs
September 8th, 2006, 11:59 AM
All I gotta say is...

GATA!

(Erk would have liked that)

...as many have said on the GSU board, I am so glad to know that Erk and GSU had mended their fences before he passed. Life is too short.

mainejeff
September 8th, 2006, 12:07 PM
My condolences to the entire Georgia Southern family.

Will never forget Maine's 1st ever playoff appearance down in Statesboro in 1987......Maine went toe to toe, but Erk would not let his troops quit and they beat us in OT.

RIP Erk.

Go...gate
September 8th, 2006, 12:12 PM
I add my condolences to the Russell and GSU families. He was an true icon in Georgia football, both at Georgia and GSU.

MYTAPPY
September 8th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Here is more on his passing.

http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/15471057.htm

Cocky
September 8th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Let's hope GSU gets some good news soon. Two terrible accidents this year isn't fair to any one university

Erk Russell = Mr. I-AA

catdaddy2402
September 8th, 2006, 12:20 PM
My condolences to the Russell family and the Georgia Southern fans. College football has lost a legend.

mlbowl
September 8th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Very sad indeed....anybody know if there is a special tribute planned for the game saturday night?

Kill'em
September 8th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Very sad indeed....anybody know if there is a special tribute planned for the game saturday night?
It's hard to say. I imagine that because of the timing of his death, the school will not have time to put together a proper tribute. It will probably be little more than a "moment of silence." At least, I hope they don't rush to put anything together. Erk is deserving of a great tribute. I will let y'all know when I hear more.

Just in case they do, the game will be televised on Comcast Sports South.

Kill'em
September 8th, 2006, 01:34 PM
All I gotta say is...

GATA!

(Erk would have liked that)

...as many have said on the GSU board, I am so glad to know that Erk and GSU had mended their fences before he passed. Life is too short.
Amen!

tsutiger
September 8th, 2006, 01:40 PM
R.I.P.

TheValleyRaider
September 8th, 2006, 01:40 PM
What a sad day for the team, the University, and all of I-AA. A true legend of our time who will be missed. Condolences to GSU and the Russell family.

Cocky
September 8th, 2006, 01:58 PM
http://img.coxnewsweb.com/C/08/88/56/image_4756888.jpg

I know it is the wrong team but still an great picture.

atlGAmocs
September 8th, 2006, 02:09 PM
My condolences to the Russell's and GSU. Erk you will be missed.

henfan
September 8th, 2006, 02:20 PM
OMG, no!

Deepest sympathies to GSU fans for the man most responsible for GSU football. :bow:

mlbowl
September 8th, 2006, 02:22 PM
It's hard to say. I imagine that because of the timing of his death, the school will not have time to put together a proper tribute. It will probably be little more than a "moment of silence." At least, I hope they don't rush to put anything together. Erk is deserving of a great tribute. I will let y'all know when I hear more.

Just in case they do, the game will be televised on Comcast Sports South.

Just wondering....I'll be in the 'boro this saturday

Cocky
September 8th, 2006, 02:24 PM
"I'm old, my eyes don't work like they used to, I can't smell anything and I never had any hair," Russell said Thursday, "but I'm happy."

From an interview with the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, yesterday.

Tod
September 8th, 2006, 02:27 PM
This is sad news, indeed. My condolences to his family, friends, and all GSU fans.

:( :( :( :( :( :( :(

BULLDOG8180
September 8th, 2006, 02:40 PM
I will always remember Erk and the "Ham-Bone"

Grizo406
September 8th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Thoughts, prayers, and condolences to the Russell family, and all of Eagle Nation.

We lost a Great one!

RIP, Erk.

PaladinFan
http://www.georgiasouthern.edu/~jlaurens/erkrussell.jpg

RabidRabbit
A sad loss for GSU, Georgia, and the Russell family.

Reading the Macon article, appears that he enjoyed a great life in coaching, and that it was what he desired, pretty much till the end.

R.I.P.

SDSU & Fans :bow:

ButlerGSU
September 8th, 2006, 03:17 PM
A very special chapter of GSU history closed today but a new day and new chapter begins tomorrow. Erk would have wanted it this way,

GATA.

bobbythekidd
September 8th, 2006, 03:27 PM
I went to my usual place for lunch today and the owner asked me how I was doing. I responded, "Fine." Then I corrected my self by asking if he knew who Erk Russell is.
His answer was classic, "Me? How could I live in this STATE (GA) and not know who Erk is?"
When I told him the news, his expression said how I feel. I don't have the words.

You will be missed by all. GATA!

dbackjon
September 8th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Erk Russell Dies from Stroke

Retired football coach Erskine "Erk" Russell has died. He was Georgia Southern's first football coach after a 40-year hiatus for the program, and a former UGA assistant coach under Vince Dooley.

Bulloch County coroner Jake Futch has confirmed the death. Earlier this morning, Russell was pulling out from gas station on the west side of Statesboro when the coroner believes he had a stroke behind wheel. The vehicle continued on and hit a pole, but it's believed he was already dead at the time.

http://www.wtoctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5382208

JDC325
September 8th, 2006, 03:34 PM
"Im gonna say it one more time. We are Georgia Southern. Our colors are blue and white. We call ourselves the Bald Eagles. We call our offense the Georgia Power Company...and that's a terrific name for an offense. Our snap count is "rate, hike". We practice on the banks of Beautiful Eagle Creek and that's in Statesboro, Georgia--the gnat capital of America. Our weekends begin on Thursday. The co-eds outnumber the men 3 to 2. They're all good looking and they're all rich. And folks, you just can't beat that...and you just can't beat Georgia Southern. And you ain't seen nothin yet!"
-Erk Russell, 1989

More quotes

http://www.macon.com/mld/telegraph/need_to_map/15472504.htm

Thanks Erk for all you did for GSU and for being a great human being.
RIP Erk:bawling:

Hansel
September 8th, 2006, 03:41 PM
sad news for the Eagle faithful :(

dungeonjoe
September 8th, 2006, 03:53 PM
the Eagle faithful are in our prayers this weekend.

Kill'em
September 8th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Just wondering....I'll be in the 'boro this saturday
Any chance you're going to the game?

buckp
September 8th, 2006, 04:41 PM
The NCAA should dedicate the 2006 I-AA National Championship Game in memory of this great one.
Truly a giant in not only for GSU football, but for the entire I-AA nation. :bow:

We'll miss you Erk....

bobbythekidd
September 8th, 2006, 04:46 PM
The NCAA should dedicate the 2006 I-AA National Championship Game in memory of this great one.
Truly a giant in not only for GSU football, but for the entire I-AA nation. :bow:

We'll miss you Erk....

What a thoughtful idea.

I second it. Thanks, buckp

ASU Kep
September 8th, 2006, 04:50 PM
I went to my usual place for lunch today and the owner asked me how I was doing. I responded, "Fine." Then I corrected my self by asking if he knew who Erk Russell is.
His answer was classic, "Me? How could I live in this STATE (GA) and not know who Erk is?"
When I told him the news, his expression said how I feel. I don't have the words.

You will be missed by all. GATA!

I grew up in Georgia and long before I came here and became a fan of I-AA football, I knew who that man was. A terrible loss. Even though my Apps would probably be on their 3rd or fourth NC right now if it wern't for that guy;) , he was so great for I-AA football and the state of Georgia. Just a tough-an-nails but yet good human being. It was great that he mended fences with GSU and was apparently very happy in his final days.

Best of wishes to the GSU football team tomorrow. Hopefully those boys will play like Erk would want em to and lay some serious smack down. May he RIP and may GSU always cherish his memory. Just growing up in Georgia (and being a Bulldog fan back in my youth) I know I will.

blueballs
September 8th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Any chance you're going to the game?

He'll be with me at the Red Flag. Come by and see us.

igo4uni
September 8th, 2006, 05:09 PM
RIP

GaSouthern
September 8th, 2006, 05:21 PM
OK, My pick for the 2006 season was for Furman to win it all even though I always want GSU to win it, i'd never bet on them "every" year.

BUT these kids have been through plenty this year and I hope they win it all because I think they deserve it now more than ever.

89rabbit
September 8th, 2006, 05:25 PM
What a tragic year for the Eagles. I offer condolences on behalf of the Jackrabbit Nation.

DuckDuckGriz
September 8th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Sorry to hear GSU. I always here stories of Erk's boys kickin ass in the 89 title run, including Montana's.

GrizzlyEdd
September 8th, 2006, 07:00 PM
It is fair to say that today we are all Eagles.
Now that is the truest statement I have ever heard on here. A very sad moment for the Russell family, the real GSU, and all that is NCAA-IAA football.

Today I am proud to be a GSU Eagle...

God Bless this man and his family....

GrizzlyEdd and the Griz..

slostang
September 8th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Very sad day. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family, GSU, I-AA and all of football for such a huge loss. Dedicating the NC game sounds like a great tribute to a coach that made that game his own.

ngineer
September 8th, 2006, 08:03 PM
My hat off and head bowed to the GSU family. Coach Russell was a legend and set the bar that has resulted in the Eagles expecting nothing but championships. What a legacy.

GAD
September 8th, 2006, 09:03 PM

We'll miss you Erk....
My condolences to GSU.

Georgia Southern may want to have there own tribute at Paulson, but there should certainly be one at the Championship game from all of I-AA

RadMann
September 8th, 2006, 09:23 PM
I'm sorry to hear about his passing. He led a very accomplished life. I send my condolences to his family and the larger GSU familiy.

ButlerGSU
September 8th, 2006, 09:58 PM
There is a Memorial Service at Paulson Stadium - Sunday at 2 p.m.

MR. CHICKEN
September 8th, 2006, 10:20 PM
AH GOT NO WORDS........: smh :

MR. CHICKEN
September 8th, 2006, 10:21 PM
:bawling:

HensRock
September 8th, 2006, 11:58 PM
Wow! I am in total shock. What a staggering reminder of the frailty of human life. One minute here, and then gone. Erk is an example to live by.

May it never be said that Erk Russell "lived each day to it's fullest".
Erk Russell grabbed each day by the throat and beat it down and then built it back up to make it fuller than it's fullest!

Truly a legendary man. This is a loss for all of football. Especially I-AA, and especially GSU. Condolences to the Russell family and the GSU family.

Kill'em
September 9th, 2006, 12:17 AM
When Teddy passed, I think many of us would be able to rally around him and inspire the team. Now, I wonder just how focused any of us will be, players and fans.

By the way, it would do all of us proud if someone at the N.C. game holds up a banner for Erk. It doesn't matter what schools are playing. Erk was the epitome' of small-college football. He did so much with so little. Like the saying that used to be displayed in his office:
"If God gives you a lemon, make lemonade."

Kill'em
September 9th, 2006, 12:19 AM
He'll be with me at the Red Flag. Come by and see us.
Count on it.

bobbythekidd
September 9th, 2006, 12:55 AM
Wow! I am in total shock. What a staggering reminder of the frailty of human life. One minute here, and then gone. Erk is an example to live by.

May it never be said that Erk Russell "lived each day to it's fullest".
Erk Russell grabbed each day by the throat and beat it down and then built it back up to make it fuller than it's fullest!

Truly a legendary man. This is a loss for all of football. Especially I-AA, and especially GSU. Condolences to the Russell family and the GSU family.

It seems that his passing dispelles the childhood myth that the "good guys" and heros never die. I, for one, know Erk will be back at Paulson tonight. It has been too long. He will be here, holding the fence in the endzone, watching HIS Eagles.

I want to thank everyone who is praying for his family. You kindness is appriciated more than you know.

The good guys and heros never die.:bow:

JMU1992
September 9th, 2006, 01:29 AM
Terrible news. For the first time, I will be rooting for GSU this weekend.

September 9th, 2006, 02:39 AM
Terrible news. For the first time, I will be rooting for GSU this weekend.For the first time? Always root for them when they are playing a non-I-AA team (since you are a JMU fan). :nod:

gsu6trophies
September 9th, 2006, 03:26 AM
It's a great day to be an Eagle. I thank God that I was fortunate enough to attend a school where Erk Russell became a legend.

SwampEagle
September 9th, 2006, 06:02 AM
I had the very good fortune to meet Coach Russell a few times and to hear him speak a few times as well.

The man retired at the very top, finishing a 15-0 perfect season, a national championship, winning one of the most exciting college football games ever. He bult a program that went on to many more years of success.

If you read his book, you'll know that he had no regrets.

I hope that when it's my turn, I can leave this world with the same sense of satisfaction.

mikebigg
September 9th, 2006, 12:23 PM
A winner on and off the field. He really could coach! My prayers and condolences to Coach Russell's family and the entire GaSouthern family.

JohnStOnge
September 9th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Greatest I-AA coach ever.

JALMOND
September 9th, 2006, 03:26 PM
One of the early ambassadors of I-AA football. I've never been to Georgia, let alone Statesboro, but I had heard of Coach Russell. Truly a sad time for all of I-AA.

My condolences to his family, friends and the whole GSU community. His legacy will live on.