PDA

View Full Version : Friday Water Cooler: Lehigh/Villanova

Lehigh Football Nation
September 8th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Is up.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com

Pard94
September 8th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Hey LFN, you mention you smell a wee too much hubris from the Lafayette camp. You are aware that no one on this board currently plays for Lafayette, right? I mean just because we may be enjoying out current perch atop the standings a tad too much, that doesn't really have any effect on the players or coaches. Just so you are aware.

Pard4Life
September 8th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Hey LFN, you mention you smell a wee too much hubris from the Lafayette camp. You are aware that no one on this board currently plays for Lafayette, right? I mean just because we may be enjoying out current perch atop the standings a tad too much, that doesn't really have any effect on the players or coaches. Just so you are aware.

Hubris? I don't understand that... all I have seen are comments about people worrying about different parts of the team. And we are all pessimistic as heck of beating Ivies and Colgate.

Pard94
September 8th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Well, I must admit, I've been pretty optmisitic. My bad. I'll try to be more negative

Andy
September 8th, 2006, 01:30 PM
[QUOTE=Pard94]You are aware that no one on this board currently plays for Lafayette, right? [/QUOTE)

Hey, speak for yourself, 94. I'm totally looking forward to like playing on the new field. I'm 19, full head of hair, six-pack abs, 20-20 eyes, and a memory like you read about. Did I mention my full head of hair?:) :)

Ruler 79
September 8th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Central Conn over Georgia Southern??????? Are you insane?

Pard94
September 8th, 2006, 02:05 PM
[QUOTE=Pard94]You are aware that no one on this board currently plays for Lafayette, right? [/QUOTE)

Hey, speak for yourself, 94. I'm totally looking forward to like playing on the new field. I'm 19, full head of hair, six-pack abs, 20-20 eyes, and a memory like you read about. Did I mention my full head of hair?:) :)

Full head of hair...I remember it well.

carney2
September 8th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Hubris. I had to look it up:

hubris n. arrogance resulting from excessive pride or from passion

Just a reminder to all of you Pards out there that the program has not handled success very well. You need only go back to 2003 where there were big expectations after 2002's 7-5, 5-2 PL campaign. The season ended up 5-6, 2-5 and Tavani and some of the players admitted that they put more emphasis on reading their (preseason) press clippings than on playing the games. Is no one besides me a little anxious about these next five make or break games?

Still, Mr. Burton, "hubris" may be a little excessive here - and a little like the pot calling the kettle black. Supporters of all three of the PL favorites are guilty of - shall we pull a word from the hubris definition quoted above - excessive passion. The Lehigh folks can be accused of having a "birthright" mentality, while the Raider faithful have portrayed Dickie B. as an unstoppable force a bit more often than is warranted. Enough blame to go around and too little objectivity at times.

Speaking of a lack of objectivity, how many points do you think that Keith Groller in the Alientown Mourning Crawl is going to pick Lehigh to win by? I swear that if Lehigh were playing Ohio State tomorrow he'd Pick Lehigh by a score that will be "a little closer than most people think."

Pard94
September 8th, 2006, 02:26 PM

Just a reminder to all of you Pards out there that the program has not handled success very well. You need only go back to 2003 where there were big expectations after 2002's 7-5, 5-2 PL campaign. The season ended up 5-6, 2-5 and Tavani and some of the players admitted that they put more emphasis on reading their (preseason) press clippings than on playing the games. Is no one besides me a little anxious about these next five make or break games?

Still, Mr. Burton, "hubris" may be a little excessive here - and a little like the pot calling the kettle black. Supporters of all three of the PL favorites are guilty of - shall we pull a word from the hubris definition quoted above - excessive passion. The Lehigh folks can be accused of having a "birthright" mentality, while the Raider faithful have portrayed Dickie B. as an unstoppable force a bit more often than is warranted. Enough blame to go around and too little objectivity at times.

Speaking of a lack of objectivity, how many points do you think that Keith Groller in the Alientown Mourning Crawl is going to pick Lehigh to win by? I swear that if Lehigh were playing Ohio State tomorrow he'd Pick Lehigh by a score that will be "a little closer than most people think."

I said I would try to be more negative! Geez.

LUHawker
September 8th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Supporters of all three of the PL favorites are guilty of - shall we pull a word from the hubris definition quoted above - excessive passion. The Lehigh folks can be accused of having an unwarranted "birthright" mentality, while the Raider faithful have portrayed Dickie B. as an unstoppable force a bit more often than is warranted. Enough blame to go around and too little objectivity at times.

I think your characterizations here are actually quite on target. How would you describe the Lafayette folks? My personal characterization, is a sort of, hey look at us, don't forget about us mentality.

carney2
September 8th, 2006, 02:52 PM
I think your characterizations here are actually quite on target. How would you describe the Lafayette folks? My personal characterization, is a sort of, hey look at us, don't forget about us mentality.

I'm a little too close to the situation to be totally objective, but, all in all, I think that you're right on target. A lot of losing - and given the 60's, the Putnam years and the back half of the Russo regime where he phoned it in, that's what you have - affects the perspective.

Pard4Life
September 8th, 2006, 03:07 PM
LFN... are you insane?! I finally clicked the link and read the article...

..the only hubris around here is your picks after touting that 16-2 mark.. jeeeeez... :rolleyes:

Now your hubris assesment has me a bit disturbed. Leopard camp is anything but arrogant.. if anything, we are paranoid... many areas of the team still need work. But really, Bucknell over Lafayette is a bit overboard. They will give us a close game and I won't be that surprised if it is only by three points.. but we have too much experience and determination to flounder. Tavani won't let that happen.

Pard4Life
September 8th, 2006, 03:13 PM

We also had no defense in 2003. Offense put up the points, but defense was less than spectacular.

I am anxious about the next five games... BU is tough and we cannot beat the Ivies. However, I don't think the stretch is 'make or break'.. outside of the BU game. I think we have had this debate before. We have stunk it up vs. Harvard Penn Princeton (no real Yale history since 1991, 0-6 alltime) and I really have a hard time envisioning us not winning a game between September 16 and Holy Cross October 21. Either way, something is going to give here... a win over HYP Penn or an ugly record. The PL slate matters most and that is what gets us into the playoffs.

And on the hubris note again, the Rothie era, 2001, and 2003 are fair too painful and fresh to be feeling arrogant about anything in Leopard camp. I am thankful to have a winning football program.

Anovafan
September 8th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Wow, awesome website LFN, I can't believe it has taken me this long to stumble across it. Nice write up on the Nova team. A little additional information to your review of the Nova D since you probably haven't seen them yet. Nova lost one of their best down lineman in the pre-season, so they are going with what is called a 30 defense. 3 down lineman, 3 LBs, and 5 DBs. It's a new look, and very interesting. It proved much more effective against UCF than I thought it would. I'm looking forward to a good game tomorrow night, should be a good crowd.

Hansel
September 8th, 2006, 03:40 PM
I think Lehigh gets eliminated from at-large consideration after another loss on saturday.....

Pard4Life
September 8th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Wow, awesome website LFN, I can't believe it has taken me this long to stumble across it. Nice write up on the Nova team. A little additional information to your review of the Nova D since you probably haven't seen them yet. Nova lost one of their best down lineman in the pre-season, so they are going with what is called a 30 defense. 3 down lineman, 3 LBs, and 5 DBs. It's a new look, and very interesting. It proved much more effective against UCF than I thought it would. I'm looking forward to a good game tomorrow night, should be a good crowd.

Hmm.. intriguing.. 3-3-5? That might be beneficial for Lehigh since Sedale likes to take-off from time to time. Should make things entertaining and possibly high-scoring.

Pard4Life
September 8th, 2006, 03:45 PM
I think Lehigh gets eliminated from at-large consideration after another loss on saturday.....

...they may have already done that... it might be a close call even if they are 9-2. Beat Nova and they are in the hunt for sure.

Anovafan
September 8th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Hmm.. intriguing.. 3-3-5? That might be beneficial for Lehigh since Sedale likes to take-off from time to time. Should make things entertaining and possibly high-scoring.

The UCF Qb wasn't very mobile, so I'm not sure how it will stack up against a mobile Qb. Nova's LBs are a bit undersized, but fast, and the DBs are fast as well. I would imagine one of the LBs or DBs would spy Sedale. Nova knows he like to tuck and run. It will certainly be interesting, as the scheme is pretty uncommon.

ngineer
September 8th, 2006, 08:26 PM
I agree the 'hubris' comment is a tad strong--I think we of the 'Big 3' have all, to some degree, been a little full of ourselves at times. However, part of that swagger sort of goes along with the 'overachieving' mentality that I think our respective institutions' student body reflect. Eventually, what goes around, comes around. You just don't want to be there when it happens. I don't think Lafayette overlooks the Bison. Had they steamrolled Sacred Heart, they might have been position for the shocker. But there was enough for Tavani to get up their azzes about that they should be focused to win.