PDA

View Full Version : ODU Adds Advisors in Move Towards I-AA

TexasTerror
September 7th, 2006, 08:21 PM
ODU is serious about football and have hired two guys who have made an impact in collegiate coaching as their advisors. Looking forward to what MonarchNation and the ODU folks have to say about this. Is this a good move?

Sheridan does have I-AA experience. He helped CCU and look at those Chants! He was at Furman. Guess it's good to have two voices, but Sheridan seems the real deal!
------------
George Welsh & Dick Sheridan To Serve As Advisors For ODU Football
Press Function on Tuesday, Sept. 12 at 11:30 am

Sept. 7, 2006

NORFOLK, VA--College football coaching greats George Welsh and Dick Sheridan, who together took their respective teams to 19 bowls and earned national coach of the year honors, will serve as advisors for Old Dominion University in its development of a football program, which will kickoff in 2009.

Welsh and Sheridan, along with ODU president Roseann Runte and athletic director Jim Jarrett, will be on hand for a press function on Tuesday, Sept. 12 at 11:30 a.m. in the hospitality rooms at the Ted Constant Constant Convocation Center.

Former University of Virginia and Navy coach George Welsh was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 2004. Welsh was responsible for returning Navy and Virginia to national prominence during his 28 years as a head coach.

While at Navy from 1973-81, the Midshipmen compiled a 55-46-1 record and three bowl appearances before leaving as the school's all-time winningest coach (a distinction he still holds).

Prior to his arrival at Virginia, the Cavaliers had managed just two winning seasons in 29 years. His Virginia teams posted a 134-86-3 record (.608) in 19 seasons and his 85 ACC wins and 36 conference road victories were also league records at the time of his retirement. Welsh completed his career 24th in Division I-A history in wins with 189-131-4. In addition he earned National Coach of the Year recognition in 1989 by the Washington Touchdown Club, in 1991 by College and Pro Football Newsweekly, Bobby Dodd Coach of the Year and in 1998 by the Pigskin Club of Washington DC., and was named the Joseph Sheehan Division I-A Coach of the Year by the Metropolitan New York Football Writers Association. Welsh was named ACC Coach of the Year five times and he was the first coach in ACC history to win 100 games. His 1998 team was ranked in the AP top 25 for 17 consecutive weeks.

http://odusports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/090706aaa.html

Monarch Nation
September 8th, 2006, 08:41 AM
You beat me to it, TT. xlolx

I am very excited about the hires! It tells me that we are going to listen to people who know what they are doing, and hopefully hire a head coach next year that will get our program off to a good start. While Dick Sheridan isn't as well known as George Welsh, the former has the I-AA experience while the latter has the name recognition to get the alumni to write checks. It's a very good two part move.

Mr. C
September 8th, 2006, 08:43 AM
ODU couldn't find two better guys to advise them than Dick Sheridan and George Welsh. Sheridan was a brilliant coach, whose coaching career was cut short by some heart problems. He is a major reason why Furman established itself as one of the top programs in I-AA.

89Hen
September 8th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Fantastic!! I am very excited to have ODU in I-AA and those are two guys who know how to build a program. :nod: :hurray:

OL FU
September 8th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Baker probably should get a little more credit than he does, but yes, generally Sheridan gets the credit for setting FU on the right path and such credit is much deserved. In fact, Furman's first football SoCon championship was won during Sheridan's first year as head coach.

A couple lesser known facts about Sheridan:

As an assistant, he designed the diamond F logo in use today at Furman.
Following Furman he went to coach NC STate, after Furman beat them two years in a row. ( The old if you can't beat him, hire him)
He recruited and coached our current coach:nod:

He was offered ( I think ) the USC (that would be South Carolina for you westerners) head coaching job in '82 after Furman beat his alma mater Gamecocks. He turned it down because the head coach they fired was a friend and associate of his that had only coached there one year.

A Class Guy.

89Hen
September 8th, 2006, 10:43 AM
A couple lesser known facts about Sheridan:

As an assistant, he designed the diamond F logo in use today at Furman.
How about perhaps a lesser know connection then between Sheridan and Welsh. Welsh's son designed the V with crossed swords logo in use today at UVA. :D

http://store.fansonly.com/marketplace/store/Vendor181/images/uva-s.jpg

Hansel
September 8th, 2006, 03:54 PM
good news for ODU football :)

henfan
September 8th, 2006, 03:57 PM
ODU is committed to a first class football operation, as they are in every other respect with athletics. I predict they'll be a force in the CAA and at the championship level in fairly short order.

Keep the momentum, ODU!:thumbsup:

Tod
September 8th, 2006, 04:47 PM
ODU is committed to a first class football operation, as they are in every other respect with athletics. I predict they'll be a force in the CAA and at the championship level in fairly short order.

Keep the momentum, ODU!:thumbsup:

Nah! ODU to the Great West! :nod: :nod: :nod:

just a joke...:D

But seriously, this is great news! :thumbsup: