PDA

View Full Version : NDSU star LB arrested

Pages : [1] 2 3

darell1976
June 10th, 2013, 03:38 PM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/402643/

FARGO – North Dakota State star linebacker Travis Beck was charged with felony aggravated assault in Cass County District Court on Monday, the result of an incident late Saturday night outside a Fargo bar.

It was the second time Beck has had a run-in with the law in his NDSU career. He was fined $325 and sentenced to 40 hours of community service after pleading guilty to underage drinking. A charge of resisting a police officer was dismissed as part of a plea agreement.

He is probably best known for being the most valuable player in the 2011 Division I Football Championship Subdivision title game, a victory that was the first of NDSU’s back-to-back national titles.

NDSU head coach Craig Bohl could not be immediately reached for comment.

So if he is dismissed who replaced him, and will it damage the defense enough to keep them from their third straight title.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 10th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Based on the previous incident I have to believe he will be gone. The underage isn't a problem but the resisting arrest and now felony aggravated assault is.

darell1976
June 10th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Based on the previous incident I have to believe he will be gone. The underage isn't a problem but the resisting arrest and now felony aggravated assault is.

The media will be hounding Bohl and or AD Gene Taylor especially since the paper ran a story about fomer Bison players who were charged with petition fraud and given community service failed to complete the community service and had warrants out for their arrest. Just not a good offseason in the media for Bison football.

aces1180
June 10th, 2013, 03:46 PM
No surprise UND's biggest Internet troll posted this story here first...Go figure.

Silenoz
June 10th, 2013, 03:49 PM
No surprise UND's biggest Internet troll posted this story here first...Go figure.

xlolx

Just like how I can always count on my MSU fan co-workers racing to tell me any negative news about UM that ever comes up

aces1180
June 10th, 2013, 03:50 PM
xlolx

Just like how I can always count on my MSU fan co-workers racing to tell me any negative news about UM that ever comes up

I bet he couldn't copy and paste the link fast enough...

darell1976
June 10th, 2013, 03:50 PM
xlolx

NDSU fans do that about UND too.

CrazyCat
June 10th, 2013, 03:52 PM
xlolx

They must be kinda tired. xsmiley_wix

Silenoz
June 10th, 2013, 03:53 PM
They must be kinda tired. xsmiley_wix

I keep telling them to get into better shape, but alas tech jobs = fatties*

* Excluding me, obviously xcoolx

darell1976
June 10th, 2013, 04:02 PM
https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY

Craig Bohl: “Due to the serious nature of the charge of violence, Travis Beck will go through the University judicial process as a student
Bohl Pt 2: and as an athlete will be suspended indefinitely from team activities Bison football has a zero tolerance for acts of violence.

Winindy
June 10th, 2013, 04:02 PM

I thought they just ignored them. As in "Oh, yeah. I guess UND does still have a football team."

I would think they wouldn't dismiss him unless he is convicted or pleads.

darell1976
June 10th, 2013, 04:04 PM
I thought they just ignored them. As in "Oh, yeah. I guess UND does still have a football team."

I would think they wouldn't dismiss him unless he is convicted or pleads.

He is suspended indefinately

SUPharmacist
June 10th, 2013, 04:41 PM
He is suspended indefinately
Makes sense with the prior. But, I always struggle with what to do before things work themselves out. You don't want to let a culture of this sort of thing to develop, but you also hate to punish people before all the facts come in.

UNDColorado
June 10th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Makes sense with the prior. But, I always struggle with what to do before things work themselves out. You don't want to let a culture of this sort of thing to develop, but you also hate to punish people before all the facts come in.

These days with the internet basically providing a 24 hour news cycle it has basically become "guilty UNTIL proven innocent."

It is definitely best to sort things out before jumping to conclusions.

IBleedYellow
June 10th, 2013, 04:50 PM
Mother ****ers in this world instantly call for someone's head.

In this country it is INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY!

It's so messed up that the internet instantly goes "guilty" when NONE OF US WERE THERE. Give him his day in court. Bohl did the correct thing by putting him on indefinite suspension. When I heard about this news, is it funny that I knew Darrell would be the first person to post about this on AGS? Any chance you can to make UND look better, I guess.

thark
June 10th, 2013, 04:51 PM
SIOUX Suck

Southern Bison
June 10th, 2013, 04:53 PM

Darell's new profile pic
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8WnrJIZ0aQ5ZbUVIV_J9CdmqRmWalt BmXvujeiwqYslorXlsJ

IBleedYellow
June 10th, 2013, 04:53 PM
SIOUX Suck

Sh8t.

You missed a word.

darell1976
June 10th, 2013, 04:54 PM

It's so messed up that the internet instantly goes "guilty" when NONE OF US WERE THERE. Give him his day in court. Bohl did the correct thing by putting him on indefinite suspension. When I heard about this news, is it funny that I knew Darrell would be the first person to post about this on AGS? Any chance you can to make UND look better, I guess.

So your star gets arrested and its my fault it makes news? Would it make you feel better if a Montana fan or a UNH fan posted this? I just added the question IF he got suspended who would replace him and would it damage the team enough to jeopardize their chances at a 3 peat. As they say..."don't blame the messenger"

IBleedYellow
June 10th, 2013, 04:57 PM
So your star gets arrested and its my fault it makes news? Would it make you feel better if a Montana fan or a UNH fan posted this? I just added the question IF he got suspended who would replace him and would it damage the team enough to jeopardize their chances at a 3 peat. As they say..."don't blame the messenger"

I'm not blaming the messenger. Clearly Travis Beck needs some help. If he did it, jail time is required. We weren't there, we have no clue what the story was. For all we know some UND fan and him got into a fight and the UND guy got owned.

For all we know it's a Gopher fan. It is ALL SPECULATION at this point. I just find it funny that ANY time NDSU players are in trouble, you are literally the first person to cover the story. Every time.

I hope the person that got beat up by Travis is okay and no damage occurs to his brain, brain injuries are serious business.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 10th, 2013, 04:59 PM

I agree with all you said here. Don't know the circumstances so no need to pass judgment at this time.

However it appears some NDSU fans knew of this and just didn't want to report it here so I can't find fault in someone else reporting it here even if it is darell. NDSU has a reputation of handling these situations in an appropriate manner and I may not be seeing what you are about people judging him so far.

darell1976
June 10th, 2013, 05:00 PM
I'm not blaming the messenger. Clearly Travis Beck needs some help. If he did it, jail time is required. We weren't there, we have no clue what the story was. For all we know some UND fan and him got into a fight and the UND guy got owned.

For all we know it's a Gopher fan. It is ALL SPECULATION at this point. I just find it funny that ANY time NDSU players are in trouble, you are literally the first person to cover the story. Every time.

I hope the person that got beat up by Travis is okay and no damage occurs to his brain, brain injuries are serious business.

Sorry that people in your conference, and (since you guys are #1 and defending champs) the rest of the FCS nation don't subscribe the to the Fargo Forum.

IBleedYellow
June 10th, 2013, 05:01 PM
I agree with all you said here. Don't know the circumstances so no need to pass judgment at this time.

However it appears some NDSU fans knew of this and just didn't want to report it here so I can't find fault in someone else reporting it here even if it is darell. NDSU has a reputation of handling these situations in an appropriate manner and I may not be seeing what you are about people judging him so far.

I was going to be posting this the second I got home from the gym, but I was beaten, not a huge deal, though.

IBleedYellow
June 10th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Sorry that people in your conference, and (since you guys are #1 and defending champs) the rest of the FCS nation don't subscribe the to the Fargo Forum.

You can say that I'm mad about our "star" getting arrested, but that's not EVEN CLOSE to why I'm not exactly happy. In this day and age I dislike how people instantly judge. I stated the same thing with Montana's Quarterback.

darell1976
June 10th, 2013, 05:09 PM
You can say that I'm mad about our "star" getting arrested, but that's not EVEN CLOSE to why I'm not exactly happy. In this day and age I dislike how people instantly judge. I stated the same thing with Montana's Quarterback.

Look at my original post then look at your post. I posted an article with a link and a question which I am sure is on the minds of FCS fans. Then you respond by blaming me for posting it with the comment of this must make UND look good. UND has nothing to do with this (unless the guy in the hospital was a UND fan then we can have another topic to post about). Don't you think SIU, UNI, USD, SDSU fans would think this would be a blessing because your team could be in trouble and it makes their chances of beating you a little better. This is not a UND-NDSU thing, or a smack thing. Its just the news. If UND has a player that did this and was reported by an NDSU fan I would understand. I would be pissed at the guy breaking the law not the person who posted the story on the internet.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 10th, 2013, 05:13 PM

You did. You are fair in your approach to be sure. I just haven't seen too many people judging him thus far...doesn't mean it's not gonna turn that way but so far seem pretty sane except for the new guy trying to take an impotent shot back when a legit story which is not trolling or smack was posted to stir it up.

MSUBobcat
June 10th, 2013, 06:00 PM

xoutofrepx

Was gonna say the same thing. The topic is FCS discussion-worthy and some NDSU fans stated they knew of the story but didn't start a thread. Don't blame Darrell for having access to this info before fans of some other team due to living in Fargo. He didn't pass judgement and asked a legitimate question and has been attacked for it. xconfusedx

asumike83
June 10th, 2013, 06:03 PM
You did. You are fair in your approach to be sure. I just haven't seen too many people judging him thus far...doesn't mean it's not gonna turn that way but so far seem pretty sane except for the new guy trying to take an impotent shot back when a legit story which is not trolling or smack was posted to stir it up.

Agreed. I haven't seen a post in this thread calling the kid a "thug", saying he should be kicked out of school or anything to that effect.

I think it is being handled correctly. Suspend him indefinitely until the process plays itself out. If he's found not guilty, reinstate him. If not, give him the boot.

MSUBobcat
June 10th, 2013, 06:04 PM
SIOUX Suck

Great 1st post on AGS xrolleyesx Can't wait for more of your insightful football knowledge in the upcoming season. We at AGS are lucky to have you. xcoffeex

No_Skill
June 10th, 2013, 06:06 PM

Surely you can see how you posting this could be seen as having a "neener neener neener" quality.

I certainly don't recall you posting any positive NDSU related stories for our FCS friends who don't subscribe to the Forum.

UNDColorado
June 10th, 2013, 06:19 PM
So Darell did ask a relevant question. I am going to preface this by saying Beck is a great LB, no question about it.

IF he is proven guilty who is next on the depth chart, and is he up to the task?

IBleedYellow
June 10th, 2013, 06:22 PM
Surely you can see how you posting this could be seen as having a "neener neener neener" quality.

I certainly don't recall you posting any positive NDSU related stories for our FCS friends who don't subscribe to the Forum.

This guy. He gets it.

IBleedYellow
June 10th, 2013, 06:22 PM
So Darell did ask a relevant question. I am going to preface this by saying Beck is a great LB, no question about it.

IF he is proven guilty who is next on the depth chart, and is he up to the task?

Esly Thorton, probably.

MplsBison
June 10th, 2013, 06:30 PM
Just for fun, a hypothetical: a non-football player student of average size provokes a big football player, who is drunk, into a fight using words. The football player attacks the student with intent to assault. Only, the average student lays the football player out. Knocks him out cold. No serious injury occurs to either party, nothing broken, no concussions, not even missing teeth. Just bruises (to the ego..).

Would the football player still be charged with a crime? Should he be?
Would the football player still be kicked off the team? Should he be?

344Johnson
June 10th, 2013, 06:36 PM

There would likely be a thread on Bisonville about it. AGS? Meh, doubtful.

When I heard about this news, is it funny that I knew Darrell would be the first person to post about this on AGS? Any chance you can to make UND look better, I guess.

Fact.

People are saying "Oh he is posing a legitimate question" blah blah blah. If it was some huge article about Beck saving a kitten from a burning tree and he'd miss the season with a ruptured achilles from falling out of the tree, Darell wouldn't have touched the story. He latched onto this one because it involves an NDSU player who is being charged with a felony.

I'm not going to make any judgements on this situation. I am just going to assume he has probably played his last down at North Dakota State....and if he did in fact pound on some guy outside of a bar, then I don't want him on the team I cheer for.

MSUBobcat
June 10th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Just for fun, a hypothetical: a non-football player student of average size provokes a big football player, who is drunk, into a fight using words. The football player attacks the student with intent to assault. Only, the average student lays the football player out. Knocks him out cold. No serious injury occurs to either party, nothing broken, no concussions, not even missing teeth. Just bruises (to the ego..).

Typically, getting your arse kicked isn't a crime. In this hypothetical, even if the FB player started it, the average student isn't going to the police to say, "This guy hit me, so I beat the $h!t out of him."

Don't know any of the details or laws in ND, but in MT you can defend your ground. You don't have to wait until the other guy hits you. If you feel legitimately threatened, you can protect yourself. Again, without knowing the details, I could easily see this being reduced to a misdemeanor assault, assuming the guy just picked a fight with the wrong dude.

Thundar
June 10th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Typically, getting your arse kicked isn't a crime. In this hypothetical, even if the FB player started it, the average student isn't going to the police to say, "This guy hit me, so I beat the $h!t out of him."

Don't know any of the details or laws in ND, but in MT you can defend your ground. You don't have to wait until the other guy hits you. If you feel legitimately threatened, you can protect yourself. Again, without knowing the details, I could easily see this being reduced to a misdemeanor assault, assuming the guy just picked a fight with the wrong dude.

I agree with this, but as a public figure (and yes being th MVP of the 2011 NC game makes him a public figure) he should show restraint

I wish the best for him and also thank him for his time at NDSU but I do feel he will/has effectively ended his FB career at NDSU over a stupid bar fight.

I should add I hope the recipient is ok and no major damage.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 10th, 2013, 07:10 PM
We are all sensitive about our own teams. darell doesn't post good news on NDSU because NDSU fans usually have that up far before anyone else could and it's not necessarily something he would do anyway. NDSU fans on the flip side didn't break down the door to post the negative like they normally do the positive either. Seems about right to me and the bitching about it just seems a little over sensitive since it's a legit deal, not opinion, not smack.

We probably all agree it would have found it's way here either way and considering how it was presented I can't imagine it being done any more fairly that it was done. If it was presented in a biased sort of way you'd have a case but it wasn't.

No_Skill
June 10th, 2013, 07:34 PM
We are all sensitive about our own teams. darell doesn't post good news on NDSU because NDSU fans usually have that up far before anyone else could and it's not necessarily something he would do anyway. NDSU fans on the flip side didn't break down the door to post the negative like they normally do the positive either. Seems about right to me and the bitching about it just seems a little over sensitive since it's a legit deal, not opinion, not smack.

We probably all agree it would have found it's way here either way and considering how it was presented I can't imagine it being done any more fairly that it was done. If it was presented in a biased sort of way you'd have a case but it wasn't.

Not sure that argument really holds water. I'd be right there with ya if it was a day or two later and the story wasn't posted, but we are talking an hour or two tops from when there was real evidence to the first post in this thread.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 10th, 2013, 07:36 PM
I agree with this, but as a public figure (and yes being th MVP of the 2011 NC game makes him a public figure) he should show restraint

I wish the best for him and also thank him for his time at NDSU but I do feel he will/has effectively ended his FB career at NDSU over a stupid bar fight.

I agree to a certain extent however, the University has a responsibility to the city which is its host not to bring in people who will cause harm to the citizens of that city. That is why NDSU treats these types of things seriously.

Thundar
June 10th, 2013, 07:42 PM
I agree to a certain extent however, the University has a responsibility to the city which is its host not to bring in people who will cause harm to the citizens of that city. That is why NDSU treats these types of things seriously.

I don't believe I said they wouldn't treat it serious? and also how is this NDSU's fault? they can't police the actions of the athletes 24/7, especially a local kid. I hold zero fault on NDSU it's all on Beck he made the choice to beat a guy to the point he needed medical help. That lies solely on him

ursus arctos horribilis
June 10th, 2013, 07:50 PM
Not sure that argument really holds water. I'd be right there with ya if it was a day or two later and the story wasn't posted, but we are talking an hour or two tops from when there was real evidence to the first post in this thread.

Ok, he did not treat it fairly in your eyes? Who cares that he was the one that posted it? That's the sticking point over this...ok. The point was that it is to be expected from either side but it was done correctly either way. The only bone of contention is who posted it...even if he did it as a Bison fan would have done it. Fairly silly.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 10th, 2013, 07:51 PM
I don't believe I said they wouldn't treat it serious? and also how is this NDSU's fault? they can't police the actions of the athletes 24/7, especially a local kid. I hold zero fault on NDSU it's all on Beck he made the choice to beat a guy to the point he needed medical help. That lies solely on him

I meant that I agreed with MSU to a certain extent. You and I are on the same page here.

BisonFan02
June 10th, 2013, 07:51 PM

I'm not going to get involved with the crap about who posted first or not (don't care), but I will answer Darell's and UNDColorado's question about who's "up next" assuming Beck is shown the door. I personally had Beck as the third linebacker of the starting three (behind Olson and Littlejohn), but losing depth at the LB position is definitely not a good deal.

Here is what I think potentially happens (try to go in order of likelihood):

1) Battle for third spot between Thorton, Rodgers, and Stumpf....one of the guys from the two deep is going to see a lot more time in comparison to last year...the NDSU D didn't rotate a ton outside of last year's starting 3, but that will have to change this year...definitely now.

2) One of the incoming true freshmen is not going to redshirt...I believe either Pierre Gee Tucker or Nick Deluca is/are going see a lot more time next year now with Beck gone. It worked out well for Grant Olson who saw a lot of time as a true freshman. I think at least one of the two was going to be in uniform this year regardless, but Beck being dismissed will force the issue for at least one of them, if not both.

3) I don't name drop on message boards typically, but this is something that has been floated more than once by a few credible sources I know. With the Bison secondary being relatively loaded, Colten Heagle is an option potentially to see time at LB. He would be undersized, but my understanding is that he has bulked up a bit more going into this season. I'm not a fan of the idea personally, but it is something to keep an eye open for at least.

Thundar
June 10th, 2013, 07:52 PM
I meant that I agreed with MSU to a certain extent. You and I are on the same page here.

got it sorry misread......

ElCid
June 10th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Ok, he did not treat it fairly in your eyes? Who cares that he was the one that posted it? That's the sticking point over this...ok. The point was that it is to be expected from either side but it was done correctly either way. The only bone of contention is who posted it...even if he did it as a Bison fan would have done it. Fairly silly.

I agree. Come on guys. Who posted it is irrelevant. The facts always speak for themselves. I know The Citadel has had a couple incidents in the past and the fact that one of our rivals or a Cid fan would post it first does not change the fact that a situation happened. I defy any fan to claim their team is squeaky clean 100% of the time. Young men will always put themselves in situations where bad things can happen. It is one of those facts of life. Always better to admit it upfront to the world and deal appropriately with the situation and it sounds like that is what NDSU is doing. His guilt or innocence will be determined later.

Nuf said.

Bisonoline
June 10th, 2013, 08:41 PM
I cant believe all the BS over a bar fight when nobody knows the circumstances.

heath
June 10th, 2013, 08:52 PM

If he(the football player) has had issues in the past...........YES. Whether he gets his a$$ kicked or not,is not the question. Represent your school accordinglyxnodx....Guess he did,my badxthumbsupx

MSUBobcat
June 10th, 2013, 09:11 PM

Agree 100% that he should have shown restraint as a representative of NDSU, Thundar. I was responding more to MPLS's hypothetical. However, without knowing any of the details, I don't want to convict the young man without trial. Could be that he went blow for blow with the guy and the last one was the one that really landed and KO'd him, which in my eyes is self defense and not a crime. Could also be that the other dude didn't even swing and he beat the hell out of him, which would be a felony. Until details come out though, it's hard to say. He'll get his day in court. Unfortunately, his actions likely will lead to not playing another down as a Bison and I commend your school and administration for handling it as they have.

MSUBobcat
June 10th, 2013, 09:14 PM

xrotatehx Really?!?! Can't understand why a star LB putting someone in the hospital stirs the hornet's nest? As Thundar said, he is a public representative of the university and should act accordingly. Unless he had no other choice but fight for self defense, he really should have chosen another option.

darell1976
June 10th, 2013, 09:29 PM

Hopefully with the installation of camaras in downtown Fargo by the FPD they caught this on tape and should shine a light into what happened.

Thundar
June 10th, 2013, 09:33 PM
xrotatehx Really?!?! Can't understand why a star LB putting someone in the hospital stirs the hornet's nest? As Thundar said, he is a public representative of the university and should act accordingly. Unless he had no other choice but fight for self defense, he really should have chosen another option.

exactly! I admit i jump on and give hell when players from other teams screw up....cause it's fun. but I'm also just as critical when it happens to a team I financially support.

Beck gave in to a guy that probably was pushing his buttons, should have left lots of other bars downtown he could have went to.

Bisonator
June 10th, 2013, 09:39 PM
Bottom line is Beck shouldn't have put himself in that position to begin with, especially considering his prior issues. He will get his day in court and until then he's off the team. He let himself, his parents and most importantly his teammates down. I just don't understand why these clowns can't keep their nose clean!

Thundar
June 10th, 2013, 09:45 PM
Bottom line is Beck shouldn't have put himself in that position to begin with, especially considering his prior issues. He will get his day in court and until then he's off the team. He let himself, his parents and most importantly his teammates down. I just don't understand why these clowns can't keep their nose clean!

remember for these few clowns there are scholars and good kids, but remember nobody ever publishes the good points cause it isn't interesting and that's sad.....because many players help the underprivileged of the Fargo area and volunteer but that wouldn't be worth reporting..........

Bisonoline
June 10th, 2013, 09:56 PM

Looks like BOTH kids went outside to settle it. That means TWO were fighting. There shouldnt be any charges.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 10th, 2013, 10:28 PM
Looks like BOTH kids went outside to settle it. That means TWO were fighting. There shouldnt be any charges.

Agree but since they broke a law both should be equally charged and then if other issues came about during the fight fine but both are equally culpable if that is the case.

The winner of a brawl always gets f'd in court know matter how it all went down.

Bisonator
June 10th, 2013, 10:35 PM

I don't care. Beck had issues last year. He should have known better then to even be there!

Bisonoline
June 10th, 2013, 11:29 PM
I don't care. Beck had issues last year. He should have known better then to even be there!

So he never should go to a bar????You dont live in reality.

Thundar
June 10th, 2013, 11:33 PM

I agree, but he should know to walk away.

Southern Bison
June 11th, 2013, 12:42 AM
Ursus, you know damn well that darell was so excited that he had already soiled his underoos twice in the short time between him reading about it and posting it...him feigning some sort of "honest question" about Beck's replacement and acknowledging it as genuine is quite the stretch. I saw the original post on Bisonville and within minutes flipped back to AGS and darell had posted it and was smoking a cigarette.

As far as Beck goes, if his most recent actions are part of a pattern with him, he needs to go. Coach Bohl has released a statement and Beck is indefinitely suspended until his day in court.

I don't recall darell going off like this about the GaSo player last fall or the MSU QB...

ursus arctos horribilis
June 11th, 2013, 01:45 AM
Ursus, you know damn well that darell was so excited that he had already soiled his underoos twice in the short time between him reading about it and posting it...him feigning some sort of "honest question" about Beck's replacement and acknowledging it as genuine is quite the stretch. I saw the original post on Bisonville and within minutes flipped back to AGS and darell had posted it and was smoking a cigarette.

As far as Beck goes, if his most recent actions are part of a pattern with him, he needs to go. Coach Bohl has released a statement and Beck is indefinitely suspended until his day in court.

I don't recall darell going off like this about the GaSo player last fall or the MSU QB...

How many ways do I have to say this...

So what? He very well may get some sense of schadenfreude out of it...so what? He posted real news that was not here already and did so pretty fairly. Am I clear on that now?

Just out of curiosity you say "darell going off like this..." how did he go off? Was this news of the GA Southern fella something he would have been likely to post first due to a subscription to whatever news source it was that reported it? Even more importantly have you or any other NDSU ever posted about UND embarrassments? Did you consistently show the restraint after creaming your jeans about a bad beat UND has taken? The whole point is making a mountain out of mole hill over who posted a story is pretty damn silly. I'm not gonna argue with y'all over hurt feelings though, at least not anymore because this is just as silly as the aforementioned.

Bisonator
June 11th, 2013, 05:12 AM

I didn't say that, but do you need to be there until closing? Do you need to put yourself in a position where someone can push your buttons do you need to put yourself in a position to lose control and end up in the spot you now find yourself? Use your brain!

TheRevSFA
June 11th, 2013, 08:10 AM

you know if this was a UND player, Bison fans would be ALL over it.

BisonBacker
June 11th, 2013, 08:58 AM
Just a few thoughts as I haven't posted on this anywhere and waited until today.
1. Beck F'd up there is no debating that regardless of who started what. He's gotta know the rules the coaches had laid out for the players about trouble with the law or putting themselves as players in a bad situations.
2. Beck has already got past issues and been warned about it. Again he should have known better regardless of who started what.
3. Given the way NDSU coaches and Administration have handled past incidents of problems with players I can't see how beck will ever see the field again as a player.
4. As I stated in a different thread on the topic of fights. Usually the guy who got the snot beat out of him in my experience as a LEO was the guy who started the crap in the first place. Not always but more times than not. I'm going to say the odds are the loser of the fight was the aggressor. Doesn't make anything different in that Beck shouldn't have been there in the first place but it is what it is.

Lastly Beck let his teammates, coaches and family down. Media and haters are having a field day with this and who can blame them? I don't like it but as others have pointed out here if this had happened to another team and player who NDSU fans didn't like we'd be discussing it as well. Just a fact that if you won't admit you are kidding yourself. I wish Mr. Beck the best in life after NDSU football and hope he gets his crap together but he cannot be allowed to represent NDSU football any longer. If he is this will be the story that will never go away and Coaches and administration will forever be called out on it as a double standard I guarantee you that is a fact. Unless video evidence shows something totally different and Beck had no way out (which I don't believe as you can always walk away) he's done playing football at NDSU.

AmsterBison
June 11th, 2013, 09:32 AM

Police said a third man, Mitchell Havig, struck Beck, but said Havig did so to stop Beck from attacking Aanenson.

Sounds like Beck was in a fight with two guys.

Something is wrong with that quote. I doubt that the police would really state something Havig said as fact. I think it should probably read: "Police said that a third man, Mitchel Havig, struck Beck, but said that Havig claimed the he did so to stop Beck from attacking Aanenson."

IBleedYellow
June 11th, 2013, 10:10 AM

Sounds like Beck was in a fight with two guys.

Something is wrong with that quote. I doubt that the police would really state something Havig said as fact. I think it should probably read: "Police said that a third man, Mitchel Havig, struck Beck, but said that Havig claimed the he did so to stop Beck from attacking Aanenson."

I've just got a feeling that something is going to come out showing Beck defending himself vs. two people. Either way he's probably done playing with NDSU football. The police have the evidence and video footage. I hope that Beck gets the help that he requires.

344Johnson
June 11th, 2013, 10:29 AM
you know if this was a UND player, Bison fans would be ALL over it.

On our board? Yes. On AGS? Doubtful.

TheRevSFA
June 11th, 2013, 10:47 AM
On our board? Yes. On AGS? Doubtful.

I call BS on that. How many threads alone have turned into NDSU bashing UND? You guys would be all over it, and that's fine, but don't get mad at someone for doing the same thing.

Bohl is smart..he'll handle this with dignity and class.

BisonBacker
June 11th, 2013, 10:52 AM
I've just got a feeling that something is going to come out showing Beck defending himself vs. two people. Either way he's probably done playing with NDSU football. The police have the evidence and video footage. I hope that Beck gets the help that he requires.

I agree with this. Problem is Beck didn't have a group of his friends there to refute what the alleged victim and his friends told the police and that is going to be a problem for Travis.

IBleedYellow
June 11th, 2013, 10:52 AM
I call BS on that. How many threads alone have turned into NDSU bashing UND? You guys would be all over it, and that's fine, but don't get mad at someone for doing the same thing.

First time in Bohls ten years at NDSU that a player has gotten a felony. Not saying that is good, but I'm not complaining about one every ten years, either.

Nexus 4

darell1976
June 11th, 2013, 10:56 AM

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?81752-UND-Suspends-Top-Running-Back-From-Team

Professor Chaos
June 11th, 2013, 10:58 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?81752-UND-Suspends-Top-Running-Back-From-Team
So you're saying that you're on level with JBB?

Congratulations!!! xhurrayx

darell1976
June 11th, 2013, 11:04 AM

Hey nobody is on that level. Its the only story I can find about a UND football player in trouble that was started by a Bison fan.

BisonBacker
June 11th, 2013, 11:04 AM

Laughing my ass off. Excellent Post!!!

TheRevSFA
June 11th, 2013, 11:24 AM
First time in Bohls ten years at NDSU that a player has gotten a felony. Not saying that is good, but I'm not complaining about one every ten years, either.

Nexus 4

Agree with you. I wouldn't complain either. Like I said, he'll handle this and move on.

344Johnson
June 11th, 2013, 12:29 PM

Would we turn a thread into bashing UND? Of course. It's in our nature. Would we start a thread about a UND player being charged? Doubtful.

TheRevSFA
June 11th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Would we turn a thread into bashing UND? Of course. It's in our nature. Would we start a thread about a UND player being charged? Doubtful.

I say this with the utmost respect, but get real.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 11th, 2013, 12:52 PM

Yes and yes. That's just how it is.

Scorpion and the Frog.

BisonFan02
June 11th, 2013, 12:54 PM
On a related note....a former UND player was arrested on the 10th.....am I missing the thread?

Silenoz

No one is on JBB's level. Not even the love child of chattown, The_Fan, Opie and lakes

IBleedYellow
I say this with the utmost respect, but get real.

Don't even have to be respectful when you say it, hah.

Reality isn't respectful always. Sorry Johnson.

darell1976
June 11th, 2013, 12:59 PM
On a related note....a former UND player was arrested on the 10th.....am I missing the thread?

Here you go but the player graduated back in 2011 so it won't affect the team.
http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/265747/group/Sports/

A former UND football player was arrested early Sunday and cited for failing to halt for a police officer. He bailed out of the Grand Forks County jail later Sunday on the misdemeanor charge.

Watkins served 10 days in jail in March 2011 after pleading guilty to misdemeanor charges of for possessing paraphernalia to ingest marijuana and possessing marijuana. He also served five days in the Grand Forks jail in April 2010 on a misdemeanor charge of possessing marijuana paraphernalia.

He was a defensive back on UND’s football team, playing his senior season in the fall of 2011.

Bisonator
June 11th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Here you go but the player graduated back in 2011 so it won't affect the team.
http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/265747/group/Sports/

So did any bison fan besides Lakes or JBB start a thread about his 2010 or 2011 incedences while he was still on the team???

IBleedYellow
June 11th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Good Lord, that didn't need to be brought up. xsmashx

BisonFan02
June 11th, 2013, 01:05 PM
So did any bison fan besides Lakes or JBB start a thread about his 2010 or 2011 incedences while he was still on the team???

Who cares?

darell1976
June 11th, 2013, 01:06 PM

Not sure you guys were making fun of the Danny Kristo frostbit incident, and the so called "hazing incidents". UND has had minimal problems on their football team (hockey is where the news comes from). Both schools are trying hard to keep the kids under control and its a shame when we hear about things like this but it happens from FBS to DIII.

IBleedYellow
June 11th, 2013, 01:10 PM
Not sure you guys were making fun of the Danny Kristo frostbit incident, and the so called "hazing incidents". UND has had minimal problems on their football team (hockey is where the news comes from). Both schools are trying hard to keep the kids under control and its a shame when we hear about things like this but it happens from FBS to DIII.

Don't want to sound cruel here, but news about UNDs hockey team is the equivelent of NDSU's football team. You guys are a hockey school first, football in a far 2nd. When you have a roster 1/4th the size of a football team, which one do you think will have the easier chance to have rotten apples show?

Bisonator
June 11th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Who cares?

I was just curious. :D

darell1976
June 11th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Don't want to sound cruel here, but news about UNDs hockey team is the equivelent of NDSU's football team. You guys are a hockey school first, football in a far 2nd. When you have a roster 1/4th the size of a football team, which one do you think will have the easier chance to have rotten apples show?

And it sucks when someone from the school no matter what sports messes up and end up hurting the team. It sucks when its in the pros all the way to high school (although the KKK incident in GF was at RR not at Central). Kids are kids but when college starts they have to know right from wrong. And in Beck's case it sounds like a 2 on 1, plus witnesses aren't always right so hopefully there was video to get the truth. Lets hope both schools stay clean at least through the school year.

UNDBIZ
June 11th, 2013, 01:17 PM

Nexus 4

This was the first felony assault. There were some felony theft charges a few years ago......

http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/32243/

xbadx

Edit: It's also important to remember this kid hasn't been convicted of a felony, just charged with one.

Screamin_Eagle174
June 11th, 2013, 02:33 PM

The mitigating factors and opinions therein don't matter; he beat a man unconscious. As a student athlete on scholarship, he's held to a higher standard of conduct, which beating a man unconscious most certainly violates. He should be kicked off the team immediately, considering this isn't the first time he's shown very poor judgment, and the seriousness of the charges.

I think it's asinine and hypocritical to think people shouldn't make quick judgments (in general), considering everyone does, in one way or another. That being said, running away from the cops doesn't scream "I'm innocent and was just defending myself." Nor does the fact that he beat him unconscious lend to the credibility of him simply defending himself.

Screamin_Eagle174
June 11th, 2013, 02:45 PM
exactly! I admit i jump on and give hell when players from other teams screw up....cause it's fun. but I'm also just as critical when it happens to a team I financially support.

Beck gave in to a guy that probably was pushing his buttons, should have left lots of other bars downtown he could have went to.

Exactly my thoughts. Same thing with the two incidents EWU's had with Chandler Gayton a few years ago and a recruit from last year before fall camp even started. They both showed extremely poor exercises of judgment and put themselves in serious situations that could have been avoided. I had no problem with Baldwin giving them the boot right away. It's pretty simple: when you're in the spotlight and being held to a higher standard, don't do really stupid *****.

Bisonator
June 11th, 2013, 02:52 PM
The mitigating factors and opinions therein don't matter; he beat a man unconscious. As a student athlete on scholarship, he's held to a higher standard of conduct, which beating a man unconscious most certainly violates. He should be kicked off the team immediately, considering this isn't the first time he's shown very poor judgment, and the seriousness of the charges.

I think it's asinine and hypocritical to think people shouldn't make quick judgments (in general), considering everyone does, in one way or another. That being said, running away from the cops doesn't scream "I'm innocent and was just defending myself." Nor does the fact that he beat him unconscious lend to the credibility of him simply defending himself.

First of all I will not defend what Travis did or didn't do, but let's not go around saying he beat a man unconcious until we know all of the facts. He could have very easily threw a couple punches and the guy may have fell and hit his head. We do not know, we were not there!

Screamin_Eagle174
June 11th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Just a few thoughts as I haven't posted on this anywhere and waited until today.
1. Beck F'd up there is no debating that regardless of who started what. He's gotta know the rules the coaches had laid out for the players about trouble with the law or putting themselves as players in a bad situations.
2. Beck has already got past issues and been warned about it. Again he should have known better regardless of who started what.
3. Given the way NDSU coaches and Administration have handled past incidents of problems with players I can't see how beck will ever see the field again as a player.
4. As I stated in a different thread on the topic of fights. Usually the guy who got the snot beat out of him in my experience as a LEO was the guy who started the crap in the first place. Not always but more times than not. I'm going to say the odds are the loser of the fight was the aggressor. Doesn't make anything different in that Beck shouldn't have been there in the first place but it is what it is.

Lastly Beck let his teammates, coaches and family down. Media and haters are having a field day with this and who can blame them? I don't like it but as others have pointed out here if this had happened to another team and player who NDSU fans didn't like we'd be discussing it as well. Just a fact that if you won't admit you are kidding yourself. I wish Mr. Beck the best in life after NDSU football and hope he gets his crap together but he cannot be allowed to represent NDSU football any longer. If he is this will be the story that will never go away and Coaches and administration will forever be called out on it as a double standard I guarantee you that is a fact. Unless video evidence shows something totally different and Beck had no way out (which I don't believe as you can always walk away) he's done playing football at NDSU.

Well said.

Screamin_Eagle174
June 11th, 2013, 03:04 PM
First of all I will not defend what Travis did or didn't do, but let's not go around saying he beat a man unconcious until we know all of the facts. He could have very easily threw a couple punches and the guy may have fell and hit his head. We do not know, we were not there!

The man was unconscious and needed medical attention because of the NDSU's players actions/choices. Unless you seriously want to allow for the remote possibility that the other guy swung at Beck, slipped, and knocked himself out, or something equally as ridiculous.

Bisonator
June 11th, 2013, 03:14 PM
The man was unconscious and needed medical attention because of the NDSU's players actions/choices. Unless you seriously want to allow for the remote possibility that the other guy swung at Beck, slipped, and knocked himself out, or something equally as ridiculous.

What if the other guy swung first and Beck was defending himself?

Like I said, let's just wait until all the facts are out.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 11th, 2013, 03:29 PM

I always try to do that because it serves for a more informed opinion. What either of you said could very well have happened so why argue one or the other until you have some info. on it.

"Beating a man unconscious" is just a way to make something look more dramatic but would appear to be the case. I've seen a lot of guys get knocked out, some I've felt bad for, most I have not because they put themselves in untenable siturations by running their mouthes and being an equal participant in what the future held for them.

BisonFan02
June 11th, 2013, 03:39 PM
I always try to do that because it serves for a more informed opinion. What either of you said could very well have happened so why argue one or the other until you have some info. on it.

"Beating a man unconscious" is just a way to make something look more dramatic but would appear to be the case. I've seen a lot of guys get knocked out, some I've felt bad for, most I have not because they put themselves in untenable siturations by running their mouthes and being an equal participant in what the future held for them.

Speaking of running mouth and waking back up...welcome back SE! :D

Professor Chaos
June 11th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Like Branch Rickey famously told Jackie Robinson "I want a player with the guts not to fight back". Beck didn't have that and I don't think there's any way he can clear his name for participation on the football team even if he's eventually cleared in a court of law. In my opinion, his indefinite suspension is merely a formality towards dismissal from the team. It's a big loss for him personally and for the team but high profile athletes, whether they like or not, are held to higher standards than the average Joe.

Screamin_Eagle174
June 11th, 2013, 03:50 PM

Doesn't matter. As a student athlete he can't get involved in ***** like that. If he had been making smart decisions, he would've walked away before anyone ever took a swing. Even then, if the other guy swung first, block it and walk away.

If this had been his first offense, I would say the action taken (indefinite suspension until legal recourse takes place) would be the appropriate response, but it wasn't his first. He has a history of poor decision making off the field that puts him (and his team and university) in a bad situation.

BisonBacker
June 11th, 2013, 03:54 PM
Not that I'd expect anything different from a defense attorney however it will be interesting to see where this goes.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/402754/group/homepage/

Screamin_Eagle174
June 11th, 2013, 04:05 PM

My point was that regardless of the specifics of what took place, the fact that it took place at all is evidence of very poor decision making by Beck, and combined with prior offenses, should be grounds for dismissal, not just suspension, IMO.

As for opinions, who gives a *****? Everyone has them, and they don't change much of anything in the long run, at least and especially in regards to sports fans.

IBleedYellow
June 11th, 2013, 04:31 PM

In one sentence you completely went 180 degrees the other way from your first sentence. "I think it's asinine...quick judgements." "Fact that he beat someone unconscious."

Damn it's nice to know you know the facts, SE. Being as you were probably all the way in Washington.

On topic of the Defense Attorney, I'm sure he is just speaking with a little bit of smugness. If Beck gets off I'd be it would be a 3-6 game suspension if all charges are acquitted. What I want to see are the video evidence from the streets that we AS CITIZENS PAY FOR.

Nexus 4

ursus arctos horribilis
June 11th, 2013, 04:38 PM
My point was that regardless of the specifics of what took place, the fact that it took place at all is evidence of very poor decision making by Beck, and combined with prior offenses, should be grounds for dismissal, not just suspension, IMO.

As for opinions, who gives a *****? Everyone has them, and they don't change much of anything in the long run, at least and especially in regards to sports fans.

Sure everybody has one. I'd rather not have an ill informed one. If you don't cotton to that I'm fine with it. Knee jerk is fine with me if that's how you roll, that's how you roll. Good for you.

As far as dismissal vs. suspension. Why? What does it matter to you that a guy that has a job to do wants to make the most informed decision possible? Kind of the whole point here is that his decision does matter so it matters to his job, and the university as well to make something more structurally sound than a knee jerk decision. I mean, it's fine for you to do cuz the only thing on the line is your credibility but there's more on the line for the people that do matter.

Also I thought his previous problem was an MIP? That's what you term "combined with prior offenses"...you've got to be ****tin' me. If it's something more than an MIP I could see the drama but if not GTFO with that crap. xlolx

Bisonoline
June 11th, 2013, 04:44 PM

JBB is a whack job and we dont claim him.

MplsBison
June 11th, 2013, 05:49 PM
Doesn't matter. As a student athlete he can't get involved in ***** like that. If he had been making smart decisions, he would've walked away before anyone ever took a swing. Even then, if the other guy swung first, block it and walk away.

If this had been his first offense, I would say the action taken (indefinite suspension until legal recourse takes place) would be the appropriate response, but it wasn't his first. He has a history of poor decision making off the field that puts him (and his team and university) in a bad situation.

Block it and walk away...

Better yet, lay down and let the guy and his friend kick you in the ribs and head! That will teach them a lesson they'll not soon forget!

MplsBison
June 11th, 2013, 05:52 PM
Seems to me that Travis Beck's only real mistake here, as far as the law is concerned, is that he punched the guy too hard. That caused him to lose consciousness, which therefore prompted the police to call an ambulance and thus raised the charge to a felony.

See kids, the lesson here is: if someone attacks you, make sure to only punch them hard enough to hurt them, but make sure you don't cause any significant injury that requires an ambulance to be called.

xthumbsupx

Screamin_Eagle174
June 11th, 2013, 06:22 PM
Seems to me that Travis Beck's only real mistake here, as far as the law is concerned, is that he punched the guy too hard. That caused him to lose consciousness, which therefore prompted the police to call an ambulance and thus raised the charge to a felony.

See kids, the lesson here is: if someone attacks you, make sure to only punch them hard enough to hurt them, but make sure you don't cause any significant injury that requires an ambulance to be called.

xthumbsupx

The lesson here is don't be a dip***** who allows himself to get into a fight while he's under a public microscope and on scholarship.

Screamin_Eagle174
June 11th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Block it and walk away...

Better yet, lay down and let the guy and his friend kick you in the ribs and head! That will teach them a lesson they'll not soon forget!

I highly doubt the friend gets involved if Beck isn't punching the dude and kicking his ass. And of course none of it would've happened in the first place had Beck just walked away instead of letting insults or whatever it was push him over the edge.

Screamin_Eagle174
June 11th, 2013, 06:34 PM
Sure everybody has one. I'd rather not have an ill informed one. If you don't cotton to that I'm fine with it. Knee jerk is fine with me if that's how you roll, that's how you roll. Good for you.

As far as dismissal vs. suspension. Why? What does it matter to you that a guy that has a job to do wants to make the most informed decision possible? Kind of the whole point here is that his decision does matter so it matters to his job, and the university as well to make something more structurally sound than a knee jerk decision. I mean, it's fine for you to do cuz the only thing on the line is your credibility but there's more on the line for the people that do matter.

Also I thought his previous problem was an MIP? That's what you term "combined with prior offenses"...you've got to be ****tin' me. If it's something more than an MIP I could see the drama but if not GTFO with that crap. xlolx

I don't either, which is why I base my opinions on the facts available.

The facts, as the article presents them:
-Beck was in a bar fight.
-Beck punched the guy.
-The guy ended up unconscious and in the hospital.
-Beck tried to leave the scene against the officer's orders.

I don't know about you, but that's enough for me to conclude that Beck, being in the public spotlight as a representative of NDSU and held to specific code of conduct in order to maintain his scholarship, made some really dumb decisions that will have serious consequences.

No, an MIP is not a serious offense in general, but it's a violation of the code of conduct that student athletes are held to in exchange for their scholarship and representation of the University. Break it once in minor fashion, no big deal. Break it again in much more serious fashion... big deal.

Screamin_Eagle174
June 11th, 2013, 06:36 PM
In one sentence you completely went 180 degrees the other way from your first sentence. "I think it's asinine...quick judgements." "Fact that he beat someone unconscious."

Damn it's nice to know you know the facts, SE. Being as you were probably all the way in Washington.

On topic of the Defense Attorney, I'm sure he is just speaking with a little bit of smugness. If Beck gets off I'd be it would be a 3-6 game suspension if all charges are acquitted. What I want to see are the video evidence from the streets that we AS CITIZENS PAY FOR.

Nexus 4

I didn't contradict my first sentence at all.

IBleedYellow
June 11th, 2013, 06:52 PM
I didn't contradict my first sentence at all.

Yes you did. You stated an ALLEGATION as FACT.

Screamin_Eagle174
June 11th, 2013, 07:03 PM
Yes you did. You stated an ALLEGATION as FACT.

I'm sorry I didn't acknowledge the .05% chance that the guy punched himself. Please accept my insincerest apology. Regardless, that doesn't contradict my first sentence in that post, which stated my opinion that I think it's asinine and hypocritical to be butthurt about others rushing to judgment, when everyone does in one way or another.

IBleedYellow
June 11th, 2013, 07:06 PM
I'm sorry I didn't acknowledge the .05% chance that the guy punched himself. Please accept my insincerest apology. Regardless, that doesn't contradict my first sentence in that post, which stated my opinion that I think it's asinine and hypocritical to be butthurt about others rushing to judgment, when everyone does in one way or another.

That's not even what I am implying. The dude is drunk. You don't have to be punched to pass out when you are intoxicated. There are SO many different ways that someone can end up in a hospital passed out. I'm not condoning or even standing up for Travis, but damn dude, your location says "USA! USA! USA!" and you seem to not believe in one of our grandest rights. That we are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

tourguide
June 11th, 2013, 07:10 PM
The lesson here is don't be a dip***** who allows himself to get into a fight while he's under a public microscope and on scholarship.

Is this your same stance for every allegation? Did you say the same thing during the Montana rape charges?

ursus arctos horribilis
June 11th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Is this your same stance for every allegation? Did you say the same thing during the Montana rape charges?
I assure you he knee jerked his way through all of that as well. xlolx

tourguide
June 11th, 2013, 07:18 PM

My bad I should have assumed the worst with him.

Screamin_Eagle174
June 11th, 2013, 07:31 PM
That's not even what I am implying. The dude is drunk. You don't have to be punched to pass out when you are intoxicated. There are SO many different ways that someone can end up in a hospital passed out. I'm not condoning or even standing up for Travis, but damn dude, your location says "USA! USA! USA!" and you seem to not believe in one of our grandest rights. That we are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

Frankly I couldn't give a ***** less about the legal aspect of it. I haven't been saying he's guilty of a felony and should be locked up. What I'm saying is that he's guilty of being a giant dumbass and breaking the code of conduct established for student athletes, and it's not his first offense. His behavior and decision making shows that he doesn't get it. Mess up once, okay. Serve a one game suspension if it's something minor like a MIP or whatever and learn from your mistake. Mess up again in a much more serious manner... don't let the door hit ya on the way out. Playing collegiate football on scholarship is a privilege, not a right.

Screamin_Eagle174
June 11th, 2013, 07:34 PM

That's not an allegation... he punched the dude. He admitted it. He exercised poor judgment and broke the student athlete code of conduct for a second time.

Screamin_Eagle174
June 11th, 2013, 07:37 PM
http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?p=778346#p778346

I didn't, but thanks for proving my earlier statement that it's hypocritical to say people shouldn't rush to judgment when everyone does it. ;)

Lehigh'98
June 11th, 2013, 07:43 PM

It sucks being under a public microscope cause any Joe with beer muscles who thinks he's tough can target you. You defend yourself and lay out Joe, you end up being the a$$hole who gets in trouble. Not saying that is what happened here, but I've seen it done many times.

heath
June 11th, 2013, 07:43 PM

You nailed it.xbowx Should be the last post on this thread

344Johnson
June 11th, 2013, 07:49 PM
I highly doubt the friend gets involved if Beck isn't punching the dude and kicking his ass. And of course none of it would've happened in the first place had Beck just walked away instead of letting insults or whatever it was push him over the edge.

Never underestimate what dumb drunks will do. You are really saying "block the punch and walk away"....that just isn't going to happen. If someone hits you, you are entitled to eliminate the threat. IF this guy hit Beck first, and beck really did do what he said he did, hit the guy til he went down, then I have zero problem with what he did and I expect to see him on the field again.

Screamin_Eagle174
June 11th, 2013, 07:54 PM
It sucks being under a public microscope cause any Joe with beer muscles who thinks he's tough can target you. You defend yourself and lay out Joe, you end up being the a$$hole who gets in trouble. Not saying that is what happened here, but I've seen it done many times.

I agree. Granted I highly doubt most guys would want to fight football player, especially a linebacker, unless he was a giant prick or there was a prior grievance.

Screamin_Eagle174
June 11th, 2013, 07:56 PM
Never underestimate what dumb drunks will do. You are really saying "block the punch and walk away"....that just isn't going to happen. If someone hits you, you are entitled to eliminate the threat. IF this guy hit Beck first, and beck really did do what he said he did, hit the guy til he went down, then I have zero problem with what he did and I expect to see him on the field again.

The thing is, the onus is on Beck to avoid the situation all together by walking away or leaving the bar if the other guy is trying to pick a fight with him. From the sound of it (based on the article), both wanted to end it with a fight.

Bisonoline
June 11th, 2013, 07:57 PM
I agree. Granted I highly doubt most guys would want to fight football player, especially a linebacker, unless he was a giant prick or there was a prior grievance.

The kid is a giant prick and bit off more than he could chew.

Screamin_Eagle174
June 11th, 2013, 08:00 PM
The kid is a giant prick and bit off more than he could chew.

I was referring to Beck. :lol: Assholes have no reason to want to fight someone they don't have a problem with. Of course, that is all speculative... we don't know who had a problem with who.

Bisonoline
June 11th, 2013, 08:02 PM
I was referring to Beck. :lol: Assholes have no reason to want to fight someone they don't have a problem with. Of course, that is all speculative... we don't know who had a problem with who.

Assholes dont need a reason to fight.

Screamin_Eagle174
June 11th, 2013, 09:26 PM

I thought I'd also point out your hypocrisy in jumping to conclusions... who said the guy was intoxicated? He could've been someone's DD. Even if he had been drinking, maybe he only had one? You're an NDSU fan so you rush to the judgment that Beck might not have done anything wrong. You're a hypocrite.

cmaxwellgsu
June 11th, 2013, 09:29 PM

The same line that "these are 18-22 year old kids" applies just the same to guys that don't play football. A little liquid courage has inspired a lot of bad ideas. I still think Beck should not be frequenting bars, especially with a strike against him and a scholarship to lose. The other problem football players face is that they're viewed as much more dangerous than your average bar fighting asshole (and rightfully so.) The average cop is going to an unconscious idiot and a beast in no pain when he walks up....

NoDak 4 Ever
June 11th, 2013, 10:22 PM
I thought I'd also point out your hypocrisy in jumping to conclusions... who said the guy was intoxicated? He could've been someone's DD. Even if he had been drinking, maybe he only had one? You're an NDSU fan so you rush to the judgment that Beck might not have done anything wrong. You're a hypocrite.

Yeah, I haven't said too much over on Bville because I've gotten barbecued over the couple things I have said. Since this kid is a Bison football player, he has about 1,000 lawyers who have surmised that he was basically getting a really early start on his walk to church holding a kitten while he got gang raped and barely escaped with his life. If he was just some dude, everybody would just be calling him a thug.

He's one player and he probably did a really stupid thing he shouldn't have. I love this football team but I also have a pretty level head.

BisonFan02
June 11th, 2013, 10:56 PM
Yeah, I haven't said too much over on Bville because I've gotten barbecued over the couple things I have said. Since this kid is a Bison football player, he has about 1,000 lawyers who have surmised that he was basically getting a really early start on his walk to church holding a kitten while he got gang raped and barely escaped with his life. If he was just some dude, everybody would just be calling him a thug.

He's one player and he probably did a really stupid thing he shouldn't have. I love this football team but I also have a pretty level head.

...and I talked to a bunch of buddies tonight that were there Sat night. I would pump the brakes and wait till this thing plays out.....trust me.

Bisonoline
June 11th, 2013, 10:58 PM

Hypocrite??? No where do I see him saying that TB wasnt at fault. Youve got a bad case of diarrhea of the mouth on a subject that you have no knowledge.

Vitojr130
June 11th, 2013, 10:59 PM
I thought I'd also point out your hypocrisy in jumping to conclusions... who said the guy was intoxicated? He could've been someone's DD. Even if he had been drinking, maybe he only had one? You're an NDSU fan so you rush to the judgment that Beck might not have done anything wrong.* You're a hypocrite.

*Assuming, of course, that being an NDSU fan and rushing to irrational conclusions have a correlation of some sort.

I'm an NDSU fan and if Beck was the one to throw the first punch, then he fully deserves what is coming. As Coach Bohl stated, NDSU won't tolerate violent acts and neither will most fans. However, if he wasn't the one who threw the first punch, then yes he should be back on the team. People have a right to defend themselves. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. This isn't like the petition fraud thing. That was just stupidity. This is stupidity and violence.

Screamin_Eagle174
June 12th, 2013, 12:37 AM
Hypocrite??? No where do I see him saying that TB wasnt at fault. Youve got a bad case of diarrhea of the mouth on a subject that you have no knowledge.

IBleedYellow said the guy Beck knocked out was drunk, therefore it was possible the guy was unconscious due to being inebriated. He's a hypocrite because he's assuming the guy was drunk. It amazes me how you cannot understand simple logic... despite it being the same logic that you groupies are using to defend the possibility that Beck didn't commit a felony, which still has nothing to do with my point that Beck violated the student athlete code of conduct for the second time. Until you can competently reply to one of my posts, please STFU. xthumbsupx

Screamin_Eagle174
June 12th, 2013, 12:43 AM
*Assuming, of course, that being an NDSU fan and rushing to irrational conclusions have a correlation of some sort.

I'm an NDSU fan and if Beck was the one to throw the first punch, then he fully deserves what is coming. As Coach Bohl stated, NDSU won't tolerate violent acts and neither will most fans. However, if he wasn't the one who threw the first punch, then yes he should be back on the team. People have a right to defend themselves. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. This isn't like the petition fraud thing. That was just stupidity. This is stupidity and violence.

No, I'm not assuming that. The correlation is between being an NDSU fan and vociferously defending the remote if not impossibility that Beck didn't do anything wrong. The point that most of you seem to be oblivious to is that it really doesn't matter all that much if Beck was defending himself or not; he never should've been in that situation in the first place. He could've walked away well before it came to blows, but instead, he exercised poor judgment and swung on the guy until he hit the ground (which isn't up for speculation, Beck admitted that). He ****ed up (again), and will more than likely pay the price literally and figuratively by losing his scholarship and spot on the team. Whether or not he's convicted of a crime in the eyes of the law is a separate manner. What's so hard to understand about this?

Bisonoline
June 12th, 2013, 12:48 AM
IBleedYellow said the guy Beck knocked out was drunk, therefore it was possible the guy was unconscious due to being inebriated. He's a hypocrite because he's assuming the guy was drunk. It amazes me how you cannot understand simple logic... despite it being the same logic that you groupies are using to defend the possibility that Beck didn't commit a felony, which still has nothing to do with my point that Beck violated the student athlete code of conduct for the second time. Until you can competently reply to one of my posts, please STFU. xthumbsupx

Do some research on the events at hand instead of pulling scenarios out of your ass. Until you do STFU about a subject you have zero knowledge. FYI I dont care what IBY supposedly said.
ps he has allegedly violated the code of conduct for the second time.

Bisonoline
June 12th, 2013, 12:50 AM
No, I'm not assuming that. The correlation is between being an NDSU fan and vociferously defending the remote if not impossibility that Beck didn't do anything wrong. The point that most of you seem to be oblivious to is that it really doesn't matter all that much if Beck was defending himself or not; he never should've been in that situation in the first place. He could've walked away well before it came to blows, but instead, he exercised poor judgment and swung on the guy until he hit the ground (which isn't up for speculation, Beck admitted that). He ****ed up (again), and will more than likely pay the price literally and figuratively by losing his scholarship and spot on the team. Whether or not he's convicted of a crime in the eyes of the law is a separate manner. What's so hard to understand about this?

Again you are posting without knowing exactly what happened.

BisonFan02
June 12th, 2013, 12:53 AM
Again you are posting without knowing exactly what happened.

Exactly....and I DID hear what happened from first hand accounts tonight. The cameras downtown are going to be critical in this case...time will tell. We need to take a step back from this for awhile and not make conclusions at this point.

Screamin_Eagle174
June 12th, 2013, 01:06 AM
Do some research on the events at hand instead of pulling scenarios out of your ass. Until you do STFU about a subject you have zero knowledge. FYI I dont care what IBY supposedly said.
ps he has allegedly violated the code of conduct for the second time.

Oh JFC. Everyone posting is this thread has the same amount of knowledge of what happened you godd@amned imbecile. Except unlike you, I'm not intellectually inhibited by a Travis Beck sponsored cumcussion.

I wasn't pulling scenarios out of my ass, I was using the exact same "what-if" logic that you and he keep using to defend Beck. Apparently even that is too complicated for you to understand, so please do everyone, specifically your fellow NDSU fans a favor and STFU. Thank you.

BisonFan02
June 12th, 2013, 01:11 AM
Oh JFC. Everyone posting is this thread has the same amount of knowledge of what happened you godd@amned imbecile. Except unlike you, I'm not intellectually inhibited by a Travis Beck sponsored cumcussion.

I wasn't pulling scenarios out of my ass, I was using the exact same "what-if" logic that you and he keep using to defend Beck. Apparently even that is too complicated for you to understand, so please do everyone, specifically your fellow NDSU fans a favor and STFU. Thank you.

Wrong and yes you are. I'll say it again, let it play out and wait for all of the evidence to be presented.

Bisonoline
June 12th, 2013, 01:18 AM

You are wrong. You have NO knowledge. Others do and its been in the news etc. Please show where I have used the what if scenario. You wont find it. Your reading comprehension is very lacking which isnt good for a troll that likes to argue for the sake of arguing which is your MO.
Next time you attempt to post please bring some facts to the table instead of juvenile hyperbole.

Screamin_Eagle174
June 12th, 2013, 01:32 AM
Wrong and yes you are. I'll say it again, let it play out and wait for all of the evidence to be presented.

Yeah, I'm sure hearsay from fellow NDSU fans who claim they were there is real reliable. xrolleyesx

This is the post I was responding to. I wasn't stating anything as fact, unlike IBY. I was using the same dip***** logic he was using to show what a hypocrite he is. Please think before you post a reply and subsequently lower the IQ of this thread any further than IBY and BO already have.

Screamin_Eagle174
June 12th, 2013, 01:37 AM
You are wrong. You have NO knowledge. Others do and its been in the news etc. Please show where I have used the what if scenario. You wont find it. Your reading comprehension is very lacking which isnt good for a troll that likes to argue for the sake of arguing which is your MO.
Next time you attempt to post please bring some facts to the table instead of juvenile hyperbole.

What in the flying ***** do you think everyone has been using as their basis of knowledge on the incident!?! All anyone in this thread knows for sure about it is written in the news articles. Your level of intellectual incompetency is astonishing.

Wait a minute. You're not just pretending to be a complete dip*****, are you? Goddamnit, I've been trolled. xshakefistx

BisonFan02
June 12th, 2013, 01:39 AM
Yeah, I'm sure hearsay from fellow NDSU fans who claim they were there is real reliable. xrolleyesx

This is the post I was responding to. I wasn't stating anything as fact, unlike IBY. I was using the same dip***** logic he was using to show what a hypocrite he is. Please think before you post a reply and subsequently lower the IQ of this thread any further than IBY and BO already have.

Haha, well, you keep telling yourself that. It wasn't "hearsay" nor was it just fellow fans...and yes, the "dude" was drunk, not that it really matters. I'm not going to keep beating a dead horse, but I would seriously wait until all of the evidence is produced. Otherwise, you could end up eating a big s*** Sammy like you have on more than one occasion in the past few years.

Bisonoline
June 12th, 2013, 01:39 AM
What in the flying ***** do you think everyone has been using as their basis of knowledge on the incident!?! All anyone in this thread knows for sure about it is written in the news articles. Your level of intellectual incompetency is astonishing.

Again you are wrong. Which obviously you just dont get.

Screamin_Eagle174
June 12th, 2013, 01:43 AM
Again you are wrong. Which obviously you just dont get.

I guess so. You're just too smart for me. You must be friends with OSBF?

Screamin_Eagle174
June 12th, 2013, 01:46 AM
Haha, well, you keep telling yourself that. It wasn't "hearsay" nor was it just fellow fans...and yes, the "dude" was drunk, not that it really matters. I'm not going to keep beating a dead horse, but I would seriously wait until all of the evidence is produced. Otherwise, you could end up eating a big s*** Sammy like you have on more than one occasion in the past few years.

Please look up the definition of hearsay.

BisonFan02
June 12th, 2013, 01:52 AM
Please look up the definition of hearsay.

Does first hand account information of what transpired pass your test of not being rumors/hearsay or are you that clueless? I'm going to run out of ways to explain this to you at some point.

Screamin_Eagle174
June 12th, 2013, 01:58 AM
Does first hand account information of what transpired pass your test of not being rumors/hearsay or are you that clueless? I'm going to run out of ways to explain this to you at some point.

Were you there? If no, then it's hearsay.

hear·say
Information received from other people that one cannot adequately substantiate; rumor.

Bisonoline
June 12th, 2013, 02:08 AM

He just doesnt get it. Youre wasting your time.

BisonFan02
June 12th, 2013, 02:08 AM

hear·say
Information received from other people that one cannot adequately substantiate; rumor.

Haha, alright SE...you win. I'm going to tell my unreliable buds, who were actually at the scene, that since I can't "adequately substantiate" what they physically saw, I have to differ to the expert (you) on what happened and how it should/will be handled. Clearly, I'm in the wrong here and at the same level as someone reading the Fargo Forum. It will never happen again. :D

BisonBacker
June 12th, 2013, 08:05 AM
Well as I stated earlier in this thread "unless video evidence proves differently" and it now is starting to sound like that is just exactly the case. More details appear to be coming to light and I am eager to see how this one plays out. If it's proved that Travis wasn't the aggressor as the media made him out to be but the victim of this incident I surely hope (know this is a waste of time) that they print an apology for what they put out as "News" without knowing the whole story. I along with many other Bison fans were dismayed at what appeared to be complete failure in using good judgement by Travis. It may now be proven differently. Either way I hope the truth prevails and if that means Travis is innocent I hope the others involved in this are brought to justice. If it's proved that Travis was guilty than I maintain he's done playing football for NDSU but as is the case so many times in situations like this a rush to judgment is for sure the wrong thing to do. Travis will get his day in court or the charges maybe dropped against him (which I hope happens as an NDSU fan) but either way the media in Fargo like so many times in the past hasn't exactly given NDSU or it's players any benefit of the doubt when reporting a story. The merits of that can be argued for different reasons but it is a fact.

Professor Chaos
June 12th, 2013, 09:01 AM

hear·say
Kind of like the columnists writing the news articles that you're touting as the bible in this situation?

BisonBacker
June 12th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Kind of like the columnists writing the news articles that you're touting as the bible in this situation?

^^THIS^^

darell1976
June 12th, 2013, 09:20 AM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/402754/

Police said they were called to a fight sometime after 2 a.m. Sunday and found 24-year-old Matthew Aanenson lying unconscious on the ground. Several witnesses said Beck was the aggressor.

When police called Beck to return to the scene as he was walking away, he didn’t do as ordered, and a police sergeant ran after him and struggled with him during the arrest, according to a police report filed with the charges.

According to charging documents, Beck told police he and Aanenson had started arguing while in the Sports Bar. They continued the argument outside, where Beck said Aanenson tried to punch or push him.

Beck admitted he then started to hit Aanenson with his fists in the face and head until he fell to the ground. Beck was bleeding from the mouth, and said a third person, Mitch Havig, had hit him.

Havig admitted to hitting Beck, but said he’d done so to stop him from attacking Aanenson.

This part makes Beck look bad. If its self defense why not cooperate with the police right away not resist.

Southern Bison
June 12th, 2013, 09:29 AM

This part makes Beck look bad. If its self defense why not cooperate with the police right away not resist.

**** darell, I was charged with resisting arrest last year while responding to a fire alarm as a volunteer FF and when the DA saw the dashcam video, he turned around and chewed out the officer for being overly aggressive (and wasting his time with the entire case). Police all over the country have a "big swingin' dick" mentality and they'll do whatever they want to whomever they want and get away with it. Hell, even the DA stated that I had an excellent civil case against the department.

darell1976
June 12th, 2013, 09:40 AM
**** darell, I was charged with resisting arrest last year while responding to a fire alarm as a volunteer FF and when the DA saw the dashcam video, he turned around and chewed out the officer for being overly aggressive (and wasting his time with the entire case). Police all over the country have a "big swingin' dick" mentality and they'll do whatever they want to whomever they want and get away with it. Hell, even the DA stated that I had an excellent civil case against the department.

I just knocked a guy out, the police says "hey come here" I walk away then the cop catches up to me, so I struggle to get away from him. Yeah that's not a good thing. Even if you are 100% in the right, you do what the cop says. If the cop is being a dick fine, but you still do what he says.

BisonCM
June 12th, 2013, 11:18 AM

I completely agree. Everything regarding the fight itself is speculation and may have been justifiable or not, nobody here knows. That he is being accused of walking away after he knocked the guy out and is accused of not listening to the cop and then also be accused of struggling during the arrest makes his look really bad.

Bisonator
June 12th, 2013, 12:26 PM
The PD report and Forum may very well have embellished the resisting arrest. Those charges are often thrown out altogether as it's pretty tough to prove intent. I'm sure he was amped up a little, scared and probably a bit intoxicated himself. Who know's but the video evidence will probably paint a better picture of what actually transpired. If I felt I didn't do anything but defend myself I would probably resist a little being arrested too.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 12th, 2013, 12:50 PM
The PD report and Forum may very well have embellished the resisting arrest. Those charges are often thrown out altogether as it's pretty tough to prove intent. I'm sure he was amped up a little, scared and probably a bit intoxicated himself. Who know's but the video evidence will probably paint a better picture of what actually transpired. If I felt I didn't do anything but defend myself I would probably resist a little being arrested too.

Another possibility is that he was walking away. That's pretty natural if you've ever been in that situation and I have done it myself. If he had injured his hand and was being grabbed, even by a cop, the natural instinct is to recoil if an injured bodypart is grabbed. Not saying that's how it went down but it's sure possible.

MplsBison
June 12th, 2013, 01:47 PM

Being attacked is what pushed him over the edge. That is typically something that pushes one over the proverbial edge.

Remember kids, if you get attacked by two people - just walk away!

MplsBison
June 12th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Guys, it should be pretty obvious that someone from Washington who spends hours of his life posting in a thread about something that happened in Fargo, ND is doing it for his own entertainment.

Just saying. Keep that in mind when you're responding to him. Of course, if it's also for your own entertainment - then by all means.

Bisonoline
June 12th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Another possibility is that he was walking away. That's pretty natural if you've ever been in that situation and I have done it myself. If he had injured his hand and was being grabbed, even by a cop, the natural instinct is to recoil if an injured bodypart is grabbed. Not saying that's how it went down but it's sure possible.

Did the cop identify himself that it was he who was calling him back? If he just hears--"hey come back here" he has no reason to if he doesnt know its a cop. Plus if he doesnt know its a cop and a guy chases him down and grabs him I would say that there is going to be a struggle considering he was just in a fight.. Of course this is all speculation.

darell1976
June 12th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Did the cop identify himself that it was he who was calling him back? If he just hears--"hey come back here" he has no reason to if he doesnt know its a cop. Plus if he doesnt know its a cop and a guy chases him down and grabs him I would say that there is going to be a struggle considering he was just in a fight.. Of course this is all speculation.

Bingo!! Isn't it law that they have to identify themselves by saying stop police. At 3am after a fight if someone grabs you I think it's nature to pull away.

clenz
June 12th, 2013, 02:30 PM
Oh dear God...watching the Bison faithful defend the story, as currently known, is hilarious. If it was aUND, Montana, UNI player they would be the first to jump in and pound the insults.

Also let it be known, before you say I'd be defending aUNI player,I was one if the few calling for Sinkfield to be kicked off the team last fall for multiple "small"incidents. I called for UNIs 4 year starting shooting guard to be kicked off of the team last winter when he got himself suspended for 3 games for doing stupid ****.

As an athlete of a university you are held to a standard well above the average student. You need to be able to control yourself in all situations.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Professor Chaos
June 12th, 2013, 02:30 PM
Guys, it should be pretty obvious that someone from Washington who spends hours of his life posting in a thread about something that happened in Fargo, ND is doing it for his own entertainment.

Just saying. Keep that in mind when you're responding to him. Of course, if it's also for your own entertainment - then by all means.
Mpls giving anti-trolling advice? Now I've seen it all.

MplsBison
June 12th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Oh dear God...watching the Bison faithful defend the story, as currently known, is hilarious. If it was aUND, Montana, UNI player they would be the first to jump in and pound the insults.

Also let it be known, before you say I'd be defending aUNI player,I was one if the few calling for Sinkfield to be kicked off the team last fall for multiple "small"incidents. I called for UNIs 4 year starting shooting guard to be kicked off of the team last winter when he got himself suspended for 3 games for doing stupid ****.

As an athlete of a university you are held to a standard well above the average student. You need to be able to control yourself in all situations.

"As an athlete of a university you are held to a standard well above the average student."

That applies to not getting caught for underage drinking, not stealing things, etc.

It does not mean that if you're attacked you should not fight to protect yourself.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 12th, 2013, 02:38 PM

Like I said, 1,000 lawyers. I think it's pretty funny when they say "don't rush to judgment" and then 5 words later say "because he's innocent".

xlolx

Silenoz
June 12th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Yeah... lots of shades of Player Rep in here...

Bisonator
June 12th, 2013, 03:06 PM
Yeah OK nevermind, string him up! We should probably suspend all our starters just to give UNI a chance this year! xlolx

Screamin_Eagle174
June 12th, 2013, 09:33 PM

Do some research on the events at hand instead of pulling scenarios out of your ass. xcoffeex

Screamin_Eagle174
June 12th, 2013, 09:36 PM
Being attacked is what pushed him over the edge. That is typically something that pushes one over the proverbial edge.

Remember kids, if you get attacked by two people - just walk away!

My bad, I didn't realize you were there. xcoffeex

Don't you have an FBS rally to get to, or is your sign holding hand chafed from pleasuring JBB?

bisonnation
June 12th, 2013, 09:43 PM
If he is acquitted or charges are dropped he will not see a suspension. Maybe a game but if he didn't commit a crime, why would he be suspended?

If its lowered to a misdemeanor he will see a suspension for sure. Anywhere from several games to a full year.

If the felony stick, hes gone.

From what I'm hearing - more to the story. I would be shocked if he's charged with a felony.

As far as replacements? The coaching staff will figure it out. They always do.

And why am I not suprised Darrel started this thread. Hes obsessed. :facepalm:

Bisonoline
June 12th, 2013, 10:08 PM
Do some research on the events at hand instead of pulling scenarios out of your ass. xcoffeex

. Its information. Nice try dick wad.

Bisonwinagn
June 12th, 2013, 10:09 PM

Nobody knows if the guy was beaten or knocked out with one punch. Also what are the laws in ND. Are all bar fights felonies? Seems absurd if that's the law..

Screamin_Eagle174
June 12th, 2013, 10:16 PM
That scenario wasnt pulled out of my ass. Its information that you dont have. Nice try dick wad.

Bull. It's a possible scenario based on information presented in the article, which is exactly what my earlier post was... the one you so ignorantly replied to. Moronic hypocrite.

Bisonoline
June 12th, 2013, 10:31 PM
Bull. It's a possible scenario based on information presented in the article, which is exactly what my earlier post was... the one you so ignorantly replied to. Moronic hypocrite.

Because there is information that you dont know its bull? xlolx Yeah you go with that.

darell1976
June 12th, 2013, 11:12 PM
If he is acquitted or charges are dropped he will not see a suspension. Maybe a game but if he didn't commit a crime, why would he be suspended?

If its lowered to a misdemeanor he will see a suspension for sure. Anywhere from several games to a full year.

From what I'm hearing - more to the story. I would be shocked if he's charged with a felony.

I am obsessed like every NDSU fan that comments on a UND thread.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 12th, 2013, 11:19 PM

If there is even a hint that LB is posting under this account as I've said in emails this account is gone. That last line gives me pause. Consider this a friendly shot across the bow just in case.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 12th, 2013, 11:23 PM
I am obsessed like every NDSU fan that comments on a UND thread.
darell, probably won't do any good to be carrying it further on your part either. We all already know the obvious statements your are making anyway so no need to really make em'.

darell1976
June 12th, 2013, 11:51 PM
darell, probably won't do any good to be carrying it further on your part either. We all already know the obvious statements your are making anyway so no need to really make em'.

Funny how my name still gets brought up 18 pages later.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 13th, 2013, 12:14 AM
Funny how my name still gets brought up 18 pages later.

Not really.

Vitojr130
June 13th, 2013, 12:15 AM

I don't think us Bison faithful are defending him. I think we are just smarter than a 15 year old and don't jump to conclusions without the necessary data to substantiate the claims being made. If Beck threw the first punch and truly resisted arrest, then yes, he should definitely be kicked off the team. I don't want that, nor the likes of that, to represent Bison football. However, people shouldn't be so childish to assume things without knowing the full extent of the situation. I've learned from personal experience that newspapers tend to imply things that aren't true in regards to legal issues.*

*It is well known that the media tends to skew things to get reactionary results out of its audience.

MplsBison
June 13th, 2013, 10:54 AM
If there is even a hint that LB is posting under this account as I've said in emails this account is gone. That last line gives me pause. Consider this a friendly shot across the bow just in case.

There's way to much punctuation, capitalization and paragraph structure there for it to be LB.

MplsBison
June 13th, 2013, 10:55 AM
My bad, I didn't realize you were there. xcoffeex

Don't you have an FBS rally to get to, or is your sign holding hand chafed from pleasuring JBB?

As I thought, you don't know anything and are just trying to stir the pot with Bison fans that are on edge and easily agitated.

Silenoz
June 13th, 2013, 11:50 AM

lakes = bisonation

I'm not sure if that's pronounced Biso Nation or Bison Ation xlolx

NoDak 4 Ever
June 13th, 2013, 11:55 AM
lakes = bisonation

There seems to be a few people at the helm of that user account, tied definitely to lakes and his crew.

AmsterBison
June 13th, 2013, 12:06 PM
If the news reports have been accurate and Beck's mugshot has not been 'shopped, here's what happened: Beck beat the guy unconscious with his own face while the guy's buddy tried to break up the fight by punching Beck in the head (because, as we all know, punching somebody is the way you normally break up fights.)

IBleedYellow
June 13th, 2013, 12:11 PM
If the news reports have been accurate and Beck's mugshot has not been 'shopped, here's what happened: Beck beat the guy unconscious with his own face while the guy's buddy tried to break up the fight by punching Beck in the head (because, as we all know, punching somebody is the way you normally break up fights.)

Hell yeah Amster! First thing of self defense, if you can't flee, remove the threat.

IE: Knock him out. :D

MR. CHICKEN
June 13th, 2013, 12:19 PM

LIKE DUH WIDE RECEIVER....WHOM RETALIATES....AGIN' DUH GUILTY D-BACK........WIDE RECEIVER.....-15.......AWK!

MplsBison
June 13th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Except in football the referee is the judge, jury and executioner.

In real life we have courts and lawyers. The police can saw whatever they want -- they have to prove it in court.

Bisonator
June 13th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Prosecutors will be holding a press conference at 2:30 today. Stay tuned....

MplsBison
June 13th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Prosecutors will be holding a press conference at 2:30 today. Stay tuned....

Pfft...who cares what the prosecutor has to say? It's just going to be like "We're going for blood, because it's someone who plays football for NDSU. That is all."

Bisonator
June 13th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Pfft...who cares what the prosecutor has to say? It's just going to be like "We're going for blood, because it's someone who plays football for NDSU. That is all."

xlolx

We'll find out I guess.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 13th, 2013, 02:04 PM
lakes = bisonation

Yeah I know he's part of it but emails have been exchanged with a person saying that in no way would LB ever be posting under that account. I take people at their word for the most part until something makes me think otherwise. The Bison Nation account have been a very positive account on here since it started and if it stays that way I'm happy to have it here. One strike and it's out due to the poisoned well that LB left so I was just trying to make it clear where we all stood. I don't want a good poster gone over something dumb.

gotts
June 13th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Press conference lines (subject to change):

Felony charges stick: 20/1
Charges dropped altogether: 7/1
Charges reduced to misdemeanor: 5/2

Place your bets!

ursus arctos horribilis
June 13th, 2013, 02:08 PM
Press conference lines (subject to change):

Felony charges stick: 20/1
Charges dropped altogether: 7/1
Charges reduced to misdemeanor: 5/2

Place your bets!

I'm just guessing but I'll take that one cuz the odds seem just low enough to put $15 or $20 on it.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 13th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Hey is there a live link by chance?

BisonBacker
June 13th, 2013, 02:11 PM
Hey is there a live link by chance?

http://www.wday.com/pages/AM970Radio

IBleedYellow
June 13th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Hopefully we can hear the full story!

BisonBacker
June 13th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Hopefully we can hear the full story!

I agree!! I'm not so sure we will though and won't be holding my breath. Especially if it puts the Fargo PD in a bad light.

IBleedYellow
June 13th, 2013, 02:27 PM
I agree!! I'm not so sure we will though and won't be holding my breath. Especially if it puts the Fargo PD in a bad light.

Ding Ding Ding!! If the Fargo PD will be shined upon poorly, the story won't come out. I feel we're getting our hopes up, though. They may just keep up the charges...only they know.

Rob Port needs to stop talking so we can hear the DA.

IBleedYellow
June 13th, 2013, 02:33 PM
DROPPED!

BisonBacker
June 13th, 2013, 02:33 PM
DROPPED!

WOOT WOOT!!!!

ursus arctos horribilis
June 13th, 2013, 02:34 PM
BOOM! IN YOUR FACE GRIZO!

GIVE ME MY MONEY!

NoDak 4 Ever
June 13th, 2013, 02:34 PM
DROPPED!

Whew! That was quite laywer-y. "We are not in a position to prove aggravated assault and are also not in a position to disprove self defense"

ursus arctos horribilis
June 13th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Whew! That was quite laywer-y. "We are not in a position to prove aggravated assault and are also not in a position to disprove self defense"

...after further review of additional evidence.

IBleedYellow
June 13th, 2013, 02:36 PM
I'm still not happy that we have surveillance cameras in ALL of downtown, although in this case it benefits a person in this case.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 13th, 2013, 02:37 PM
...after further review of additional evidence.

yes, quite gymnastical. Asses covered.

IBleedYellow
June 13th, 2013, 02:37 PM

I honestly had to think about what he was saying when he said it. Lmfao

NoDak 4 Ever
June 13th, 2013, 02:39 PM
I, for one, am glad for this expansion of instant replay.

I heard one of them called the other a Canadian! Is that some kind of pejorative?

MplsBison
So...Beck is back on the team and won't be suspended for the K-State game. Correct?

BisonBacker
Fargo PD won't release the video which is BS.

MplsBison
I, for one, am glad for this expansion of instant replay.

I heard one of them called the other a Canadian! Is that some kind of pejorative?

"You're not my buddy...guy!"

IBleedYellow
June 13th, 2013, 02:40 PM
So...Beck is back on the team and won't be suspended for the K-State game. Correct?

I still think he should be suspended. Partaking in alcohol and fighting does not bring good reputation towards NDSU.

BisonBacker
June 13th, 2013, 02:40 PM
I still think he should be suspended. Partaking in alcohol and fighting does not bring good reputation towards NDSU.

I don't disagree.

MplsBison
June 13th, 2013, 02:41 PM

Uhh... right, because college football players have never gotten drunk and fought before.

He didn't do anything. He plays - if it's me.

AmsterBison
June 13th, 2013, 02:41 PM

So if a guy gets jumped by two other guys outside a bar, he should be suspended for what? Being outside a bar? Defending himself?

ursus arctos horribilis
June 13th, 2013, 02:42 PM

he probably still get a one game or maybe even 1/2 game slap on the wrist just for being in that position from Bohl I would bet.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 13th, 2013, 02:43 PM
I'm kind of offended at the Canadian thing.

IBleedYellow
he probably still get a one game or maybe even 1/2 game slap on the wrist just for being in that position from Bohl I would bet.

Ursus took the words right out of my mouth.

MplsBison
So if a guy gets jumped by two other guys outside a bar, he should be suspended for what? Being outside a bar? Defending himself?

Exactly. Thank you

BisonBacker
June 13th, 2013, 02:44 PM
No but if you don't cooperate at the time with the officers dispatched to the disturbance regardless of the fight issue how do you not have him answer for that?

MplsBison
June 13th, 2013, 02:44 PM

"Being in that position". Those are words very, very easily bandied about.

Care to defend them?

BisonBacker
June 13th, 2013, 02:45 PM
Especially when he's done the same damn thing a year ago.

darell1976
June 13th, 2013, 02:46 PM
KFGO reports Beck will still be charged with resisting arrest his second offense.

ursus arctos horribilis

No, not for any of that. I think it would be done to say the fella..."hey you were not guilty of the charge but you are guilty of putting yourself and by proxy the team in a bad spot due to choices while out having some brews so we want you to know that the rope has tightened a bit and you should never be in this position again."

MplsBison
No but if you don't cooperate at the time with the officers dispatched to the disturbance regardless of the fight issue how do you not have him answer for that?

So what??? That's not suspension worthy.

That's worthy of having to wake up early on a Saturday morning and do some volunteer work.

MplsBison
June 13th, 2013, 02:47 PM
KFGO reports Beck will still be charged with resisting arrest his second offense.

Garbage.

Fargo PD desperate to save face after this public foul up.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 13th, 2013, 02:48 PM
"Being in that position". Those are words very, very easily bandied about.

Care to defend them?

I don't need to. You asked for an opinion and I'm giving my best guess as to what they will do.

MplsBison
June 13th, 2013, 02:48 PM
No, not for any of that. I think it would be done to say the fella..."hey you were not guilty of the charge but you are guilty of putting yourself and by proxy the team in a bad spot due to choices while out having some brews so we want you to know that the rope has tightened a bit and you should never be in this position again."

Indeed, what a fool for choosing to be attacked by two men. I guess you're right, he should make better choices in the future.

MplsBison
June 13th, 2013, 02:49 PM
I don't need to. You asked for an opinion and I'm giving my best guess as to what they will do.

You don't need to... --> you can't.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 13th, 2013, 02:50 PM
You don't need to... --> you can't.

Oh stop. Why do you have to turn every thread into a "LOOK AT ME".

ursus arctos horribilis
June 13th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Look it's obvious MPLS is now trying to move this into some philosophical minutia area that doesn't matter at all.

It's what he does.

I implore you all to resist the urge to engage in it and just let him die on the vine this time.

NDSUstudent
June 13th, 2013, 02:52 PM

Glad he didn't throw a lawn mower in the street while he was resisting arrest. Could have been written up for littering too.

MplsBison
June 13th, 2013, 02:53 PM
"Nodak...yeah it's ursus....shoot, he's kicking our butts and we don't have any counter-arguments, what do we do?!"

"Uhh...well...we could just pretend that he's trolling and that we're going to take the moral high ground? Yeah I know...it's an internet message board..."

"Yeah...yeah, that sounds good. Ok let's go!"

Professor Chaos
June 13th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Indeed, what a fool for choosing to be attacked by two men. I guess you're right, he should make better choices in the future.
I'm a Bison fan myself but I thinks it kind of sad how so many Bison fans are acting like Beck had nothing to do with the situation getting to where it got. Since it sounds like he was just defending himself he's justified to do what he did in the eyes of the law but Bohl has to worry about the impression this gives the other 100 very physically active and powerful young men on his roster. What kind of example does it set to say that you can get in a bar fight as long as the other guy swings at you first? Beck should receive a light suspension as Ursus suggested earlier as a warning to him and everyone else on the team because if things like this go unchecked it's only a matter of time before it gets really ugly for some player.

AmsterBison
June 13th, 2013, 02:54 PM

You know, he was lynched in the media for the whole week and now you won't even grant him due process on the resisting arrest deal? Resisting arrest in underage drinking usually means leaving a party that got busted - and those charges were dropped, weren't they?

You get jumped by two guys, punched in the head a couple of times, and see how you react.

I'd say that people closer to the situation will be better equipped to judge what the consequences should be. I mean, if drinking is the problem then maybe Coach Bohl will say "You can either play for NDSU or go to bars - your choice," but if there is one thing this should have taught you is that you shouldn't rush to judgement.

MplsBison
June 13th, 2013, 02:56 PM
I'm a Bison fan myself but I thinks it kind of sad how so many Bison fans are acting like Beck had nothing to do with the situation getting to where it got. Since it sounds like he was just defending himself he's justified to do what he did in the eyes of the law but Bohl has to worry about the impression this gives the other 100 very physically active and powerful young men on his roster. What kind of example does it set to say that you can get in a bar fight as long as the other guy swings at you first? Beck should receive a light suspension as Ursus suggested earlier as a warning to him and everyone else on the team because if things like this go unchecked it's only a matter of time before it gets really ugly for some player.

So as long as it's not at bar, THEN it's ok?

Brock Jensen is attacked at the grocery store, but beats the pulp out of one would-be attacker. Charged with felony assault, then the charges are dropped for lack of evidence substantiating the charge.

NOPE, suspend him! That'll set an example to the rest of the team for what happens when you choose to be attacked!

ursus arctos horribilis
June 13th, 2013, 02:58 PM
If anybody is still listening...Scott the caller is my favorite character in quite some time. xlolx

IBleedYellow
June 13th, 2013, 02:59 PM
I wonder what will happen to the resisting arrest charge. Time will tell.

Nexus 4

darell1976
June 13th, 2013, 02:59 PM
I wonder if he becomes a target in any bar he enters. I am sure the other guy has friends and could try to egg him on, so will Beck restrain himself be either walking away or let his buddies take care of the situation. If he stays in the team ( which I am sure he will) he will have to walk on eggshells.

MSUBobcat
June 13th, 2013, 03:00 PM

Didn't the argument start INSIDE the bar? He went outside to fight, not verbally convince the other man of the error in his thought process. Charges dropped or not, as a representative of NDSU that was a poor choice. By taking it outside, he basically DID choose to be attacked by at least one man (don't know if the other guy's story about hitting Beck to stop his attack is true or not). Everyone knows what it means when you take an argument outside and Beck did too, therein being his bad decision and I'd guess Bohl will hold him accountable with a game suspension.

Professor Chaos
June 13th, 2013, 03:01 PM
So as long as it's not at bar, THEN it's ok?

Brock Jensen is attacked at the grocery store, but beats the pulp out of one would-be attacker. Charged with felony assault, then the charges are dropped for lack of evidence substantiating the charge.

NOPE, suspend him! That'll set an example to the rest of the team for what happens when you choose to be attacked!
Wow, could you have thought of a more asinine comparison? This happened after 2AM on a Saturday night/Sunday morning in an area frequented by intoxicated and/or aggressive individuals. It doesn't take a whole lot of common sense to figure out which scenario between yours and mine would be a more dangerous situation for a high profile athlete in the public eye.

MplsBison
June 13th, 2013, 03:02 PM
I wonder if he becomes a target in any bar he enters. I am sure the other guy has friends and could try to egg him on, so will Beck restrain himself be either walking away or let his buddies take care of the situation. If he stays in the team ( which I am sure he will) he will have to walk on eggshells.

Why stop at bars? See my previous post...what's to stop any NDSU player from being attacked at a grocery store, in the mall, at the fair? Heck, at a house party or even on campus??

The idea that a player who is attacked should've chosen not to "put himself in that position" is ridiculous on its face.

MSUBobcat
June 13th, 2013, 03:03 PM

Excellent post. Would rep you if I could.

MplsBison
June 13th, 2013, 03:05 PM
Wow, could you have thought of a more asinine comparison? This happened after 2AM on a Saturday night/Sunday morning in an area frequented by intoxicated and/or aggressive individuals. It doesn't take a whole lot of common sense to figure out which scenario between yours and mine would be a more dangerous situation for a high profile athlete in the public eye.

That's your answer...because you couldn't think of a legitimate counter-argument to my excellently posed contention.

I agree that it's probably more likely to happen at 2am downtown, but that doesn't mean you should be suspended for defending yourself, especially when your actions can't be charged with a crime.

darell1976
June 13th, 2013, 03:05 PM
Why stop at bars? See my previous post...what's to stop any NDSU player from being attacked at a grocery store, in the mall, at the fair? Heck, at a house party or even on campus??

The idea that a player who is attacked should've chosen not to "put himself in that position" is ridiculous on its face.

Not too many people load up on alcohol at Horbachers, or West Acres.

BisonBacker
June 13th, 2013, 03:07 PM
You know, he was lynched in the media for the whole week and now you won't even grant him due process on the resisting arrest deal? Resisting arrest in underage drinking usually means leaving a party that got busted - and those charges were dropped, weren't they?

You get jumped by two guys, punched in the head a couple of times, and see how you react.

I'd say that people closer to the situation will be better equipped to judge what the consequences should be. I mean, if drinking is the problem then maybe Coach Bohl will say "You can either play for NDSU or go to bars - your choice," but if there is one thing this should have taught you is that you shouldn't rush to judgement.

Where did I say I wouldn't grant him due process? In the end he may or may not face any charges and I won't be the one to decide that. You can defend being young and stupid that's fine but the fact of the matter is he has shown some poor judgement. He's not what I would call a role model for the football program. Does he have to be a saint? No, but being asked to show better judgment on his personal behavior is not out of line. Fine lets say the other guys started the brewhaha does that exonerate his behavior when the PD tried to stop him from leaving the scene to ask him questions? Scared or not, drunk or not that doesn't wash. You want to make excuses for boys being boys fine you are entitled. As a financial supporter of this school and team I'd like to see better judgement exercised by someone who's already been shown some leniency in a prior incident where questionable behavior was exhibited. Most young men on this team don't make the news and have no issues with the law throughout their entire time at NDSU yet in two short years Mr. Beck has now been involved in two incidents over two years that have involved the police and his name being out in the news media. I'm not saying he should be kicked off the team if the resisting charges are pursued but if they are or are not I think there has to be some disciplinary action by the staff for Travis. If for no other reason to show poor judgement and behavior will have consequences plain and simple. Even if its for a half a game. Doing nothing sends the wrong message by the coaching staff iMHO.