PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Platinum

PaladinFan
June 4th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Neat little feature Furman has started to put together, harkening back to great moments in program history. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=i92D2YHIjm4#!

Well done interview with former QB Justin Hill and looking back to Furman's romp over UNC in 1999. While there have been plenty of upset wins by FCS programs over FBS programs over the years, few, I think, match the dominating Paladin performance that Tar Heels that afternoon.

Probably good video for all of those App fans that didn't know anything about SoCon football before 2005 :)

pike51
June 4th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Don't forget to include the time the Paladin fell off his horse. That was classic!

PaladinFan
June 4th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Don't forget to include the time the Paladin fell off his horse. That was classic!

As funny as a person falling off a horse can be, I guess.

PAllen
June 4th, 2013, 12:29 PM
Whatever happened to Louis Ivory? That guy was a beast.

parr90
June 4th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Neat little feature Furman has started to put together, harkening back to great moments in program history. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=i92D2YHIjm4#!

Well done interview with former QB Justin Hill and looking back to Furman's romp over UNC in 1999. While there have been plenty of upset wins by FCS programs over FBS programs over the years, few, I think, match the dominating Paladin performance that Tar Heels that afternoon.

Probably good video for all of those App fans that didn't know anything about SoCon football before 2005 :)

I have a friend whos son played on that Furman team the year yall beat NC. He said that Carolina came out during warmups and got in all the Furman football players faces before the game taunting them. The rest is history.

PaladinFan
June 4th, 2013, 12:51 PM
I have a friend whos son played on that Furman team the year yall beat NC. He said that Carolina came out during warmups and got in all the Furman football players faces before the game taunting them. The rest is history.

Hill has some great stories in the interview about how much trash the UNC players talked during the game. He noted it wasn't until the 4th quarter that it really set in that they weren't just getting beaten, but they were getting trounced.

pike51
June 4th, 2013, 01:34 PM
As funny as a person falling off a horse can be, I guess.

I didn't say funny (you did). I said classic.

PaladinFan
June 4th, 2013, 02:13 PM
I didn't say funny (you did). I said classic.

Don't worry. I well remember all of the GSU fans snickering at that one. Accidents happen, but a man getting thrown off a horse at full gallop is neither funny nor classic in my opinion. Folks get seriously injured. The GSU Eagle flying out of the stadium and landing in the parking lot - that is both classic and funny. :)

Apps03
June 4th, 2013, 08:26 PM
Paladin, was visiting with my grandparents this afternoon in Belton, SC. Both are FU grads (late '30s/early '40s I believe) and, until recently very active in alumni fundraising and events. My grandmother read me a story out of an FU publication that just came out within the last couple days. It was the story about "Daddy" Dorn. It told about the domination of Clemson and Carolina during those years and the reason he was suspended for the '34 season. Really fascinating story and was just curious if you had seen it. Seemed like a good thread to bring this up.

PaladinFan
June 5th, 2013, 05:06 AM
Paladin, was visiting with my grandparents this afternoon in Belton, SC. Both are FU grads (late '30s/early '40s I believe) and, until recently very active in alumni fundraising and events. My grandmother read me a story out of an FU publication that just came out within the last couple days. It was the story about "Daddy" Dorn. It told about the domination of Clemson and Carolina during those years and the reason he was suspended for the '34 season. Really fascinating story and was just curious if you had seen it. Seemed like a good thread to bring this up.

I had not. I have always been impressed with Furman's publications and the stories they write about. Always a lot of really great interest pieces. I'm sure I'll get the copy soon enough.

whoanellie
June 5th, 2013, 06:58 AM
Ah yes the 1999 season was the same year upstart Elon took the measure of Furman but more importantly the win gave us a measure of credibiity and confidence during our D-1 transition. And then for Furman to beat UNC-CH just gave us all kinds of smack cred.

PaladinFan
June 5th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Ah yes the 1999 season was the same year upstart Elon took the measure of Furman but more importantly the win gave us a measure of credibiity and confidence during our D-1 transition. And then for Furman to beat UNC-CH just gave us all kinds of smack cred.

I had forgotten that. First game of the season. Furman went on to pummel just about everyone else on that schedule.

I don't know much about that Elon team, but the '99 Paladins had a two point loss to Elon, a three point loss to GSU (eventual national champs) in Statesboro, and an OT loss to Umass in the playoffs (who was then ousted by GSU the next weekend). Of their 9 wins that year, only Western Carolina stayed within 10 points of Furman. A number of the games were 30-40 point margins. I anticipate that Elon had to have been pretty good, because that Paladin team was no slouch.

whoanellie
June 5th, 2013, 08:14 AM
We won 9 games but were not picked as a play-off team.

ASUMountaineer
June 5th, 2013, 08:20 AM

I was at that game. I had gone to Chapel Hill to visit a HS friend for her birthday. She got ID cards from her friends in her dorm for us to get into the game for free. After they scanned us in, the ticket guy said, "enjoy the game ladies." Yes, her friends were girls. xlolx

My friend was not happy that I was rooting for FUrman. xbeerchugx

Apphole
June 5th, 2013, 08:59 AM
I was at that game. I had gone to Chapel Hill to visit a HS friend for her birthday. She got ID cards from her friends in her dorm for us to get into the game for free. After they scanned us in, the ticket guy said, "enjoy the game ladies." Yes, her friends were girls. xlolx

My friend was not happy that I was rooting for FUrman. xbeerchugx

I would root for Al Queda over the Tar Holes.

SpeedkingATL
June 5th, 2013, 08:59 AM
My brother is a UNC-CH grad and I gave him more grief than you can imagine after the beat down Furman gave his Heels. Thank you very much for that one Furple. (I still mention it ever so often when he starts talking about the Heels football program).

ASUMountaineer
June 5th, 2013, 09:38 AM
I would root for Al Queda over the Tar Holes.

Well, I hate Duke the most of any ACC team...so, I guess there's that.

PaladinFan
June 6th, 2013, 07:54 PM
My brother is a UNC-CH grad and I gave him more grief than you can imagine after the beat down Furman gave his Heels. Thank you very much for that one Furple. (I still mention it ever so often when he starts talking about the Heels football program).

We darn near beat them again in 2006.

Whenever we get called to play unc they are usually looking for a reason to fire the coach it seems

citdog
June 6th, 2013, 09:03 PM
furman SUCKS!

ASUMountaineer
June 7th, 2013, 10:04 AM
furman SUCKS!

citadel SWALLOWS!

CID1990
June 7th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Well, I hate Duke the most of any ACC team...so, I guess there's that.

That has to be basketball related, because hating Duke football is, well, like hating on the NC School for the Deaf and Dumb's football team.

ASUMountaineer
June 7th, 2013, 11:58 AM
That has to be basketball related, because hating Duke football is, well, like hating on the NC School for the Deaf and Dumb's football team.

Basketball and fan-related. Plus, I'm from the town where Trinity College (Dook) was started, and then they skipped town...douches. Though, the city now has a sign up saying, "Welcome to Trinity: The Birthplace of Duke University." It's sickening.

CID1990
June 7th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Basketball and fan-related. Plus, I'm from the town where Trinity College (Dook) was started, and then they skipped town...douches. Though, the city now has a sign up saying, "Welcome to Trinity: The Birthplace of Duke University." It's sickening.

Yeah my grandmother went to Trinity and then became a dook fan.

GAD
June 7th, 2013, 04:10 PM
I just realized who you guys play on Oct. 26 I hope you shock the world.

ASUMountaineer
June 10th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Yeah my grandmother went to Trinity and then became a dook fan.

I'm sorry. ;)

Apphole
June 10th, 2013, 08:18 AM
hating Duke football is, well, like hating on the NC School for the Deaf and Dumb's football team.

Hey now. No reason to drag UNC Charlotte into this.

PaladinFan
June 10th, 2013, 12:34 PM
I just realized who you guys play on Oct. 26 I hope you shock the world.

Not exactly the best game to sandwich between App State and Georgia Southern.