PDA

View Full Version : TSN Top FCS Venues by League

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 31st, 2013, 02:06 PM
Pretty cool....

Been to Goodman, Fargo Dome, Washington-Griz, Bobcat Stadium and The Yale Bowl....

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2%2Fwriters%2Finfcshuddle%2Farchive%2Fha ley_05_31_2013.htm

BisonFan02
May 31st, 2013, 02:08 PM
xpopcornx

Lehigh Football Nation
May 31st, 2013, 02:10 PM
I should really get a Kickstarter going to fund me and my family going to all of these stadiums (well, except Goodman, the Yale Bowl, and Williams stadium, which I've been to :D )

NoDak 4 Ever
May 31st, 2013, 02:23 PM
I said this on Bisonville but the UNI dance thing was something I must have missed but it could have been a couples only slow dance by the end of the game with this few people.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/193734_971652698379_1507538898_o.jpg

BullDog85
May 31st, 2013, 02:27 PM
Dumbass who wrote this didn't get the memo that Appy and GSU not FCS anymore...duh!

Pard4Life
May 31st, 2013, 02:38 PM
TSN... ok, let's break this down...

2012 FCS Attendance Average: 7,206 (No. 63 in FCS; No. 3 in Patriot League)

Number three... 3! In this case, three<1... 1, 2, 3 Who is number one? Lafayette...

What's Great: Located in a rural valley with the scenic South Mountain and its fall foliage serving as a backdrop, it's hard to beat the outdoor setting surrounding a Lehigh home game.

Uh, Fisher Field provides the same view, minus an interstate and coke furnaces.

The students come out to tailgate in a big way and fans take advantage of the grassy hill overlooking the south end zone, bringing an intimate feeling to a game.

Wha... WHAT?? Ok, the drunk Fountain Fowl like to drink, but take a look at their 'student section' and it's about 25 frat bros wearing turd stains and chanting cliche "safety school" and "you can't do that" chants.

And INTIMATE?? When seats at the 50-yard line put you further away from the action that sitting at the 5-yard line? Maybe intimate with a sunburn and some wasps... Not to mention the PA announcer who drools over the microphone and sounds worse than a New York City subway conductor over the PA.

Plus the academically strong league takes its football seriously, with football scholarships being introduced this season to raise the level of play even higher.

The league takes its academics seriously, not Lehigh. Dead last in APR by a wide margin behind the other schools? I did not know physical education and communications were such difficult majors.

Mountain Hawks fans support the home team well.

... which is why they are ranked third in attendance...

Their rivalry with Lafayette is the most-played in college football (it hits 149 on Nov. 23 at Goodman Stadium).

... and accounts for a majority of their attendance.

So TSN, how did Rahm Emanuel put it once? F----g retards...

ElCid
May 31st, 2013, 02:38 PM
Dumbass who wrote this didn't get the memo that Appy and GSU not FCS anymore...duh!

Seriously, this must be a joke. I have been to Georgia Southern a few times, although not in that last couple years,and I did not think it came close to Johnson Hagood Stadium even if they were not leaving. If we are simply talking about attendance, that is one thing, but for the overall game day experience, convenience, and quality of facilities, JHS is right up there with any venue in FCS.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 31st, 2013, 02:40 PM
Another pointless rant by Pardlife xlolx

Hey genius, why do you think Lafayette led the league in attendance? LC-LU? Over the last 30 years who's had the better attendance on average?

As of 2009, Lehigh led the league in attendance 18/19 years. My guess is they led the league in 2011 as well. So what is that? Like 19/22 years?

NoDak 4 Ever
May 31st, 2013, 02:44 PM
Seriously, this must be a joke. I have been to Georgia Southern a few times, although not in that last couple years,and I did not think it came close to Johnson Hagood Stadium even if they were not leaving. If we are simply talking about attendance, that is one thing, but for the overall game day experience, convenience, and quality of facilities, JHS is right up there with any venue in FCS.

Well, for one...there are probably women at Paulson. That's something.

ElCid
May 31st, 2013, 02:53 PM

Maybe, but if you have never been to a Citadel game, there are lots of CoC and medical school students hanging around trolling for men. And Charleston girls are just a bit better than Statesboro gals. :D

LBPop
May 31st, 2013, 03:06 PM
About five years ago when I was "touring" the PL fields following my son around I rated Goodman and Fisher neck and neck. Goodman's setting is certainly appealing and the concessions are (or at least, were) the best. But Fisher is right on campus and that's the tie breaker. While Georgetown's field is pitiful, its one saving grace is its location...right in the heart of a beautiful, historic campus. In my perfect world, college football should be played on campus if at all possible. That's why the Yale Bowl is, in my opinion, not a "hands down" winner in the Ivy League.

seantaylor
May 31st, 2013, 03:41 PM

Lol. Please. Game day experience is a no doubter for GSU.

DFW HOYA
May 31st, 2013, 03:43 PM

Hey genius, why do think Lafayette led the league in attendance? LC-LU? Over the last 30 years who's had the better attendance on average?

As of 2009, Lehigh led the league in attendance 18/19 years. My guess is they led the league in 2011 as well. So what is that? Like 19/22 years?

In 2012:

1. Lafayette Leopards: 8,826**
2. Holy Cross Crusaders: 7,671
**Lafayette (net of Lehigh game): 7,633
3. Lehigh Engineers: 7,206
4. Fordham Rams: 4,463
5. Colgate Red Raiders: 3,704
6. Bucknell Bison: 3,135
7. Georgetown Hoyas: 2,410

Some thoughts on each:

1. Lehigh (Goodman) gets a slight nod over Lafayette (Fisher) because it is symmetrical. Had Fisher not sacrificed much of the visitors side for the Kirby Sports Center, one could make a much stronger case for it. Right now, it's Lehigh 1 and Lafayette 1A, which is how the league likes it.

2. As stadiums go, I think Bucknell (CM-Memorial) is underrated and Holy Cross (Fitton) is overrated. Bucknell's is a moderate sized facility, though never full (capacity 13,100) but is fully enclosed. For all the tradition and great games on its turf, there's virually nothing at Fitton that honors this, with even the names on the visitor press box a hasty addition. It's just a big set of bleachers, and there really should be more.

3. Colgate (Andy Kerr) isn't much from the visitor's side. This place, too, suffers from a visible lack of tradition when you walk in. The attendance is not what it could -- or should-- be for a program like this.

4. In any other league Fordham (Jack Coffey) would be a major let down. Of course, Georgetown bails them out on that, as it has the worst facility in I-AA with the possible exception of Jacksonville. (This is where readers from North Dakota State or SFA say to themsleves, "Hmmm.., it can't be that bad, with a wealthy school and all...). No, it really is.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 31st, 2013, 03:57 PM
DFW,

My point was, Lehigh has dominated the league in attendance since its formation. Pardlife tried to say that Layette's fan support is vastly superior to that of Lehigh which is laughable when you look at the numbers over years. Only at Lafayette is beating Lehigh 3 times in 20+ years a success xblehx

Lehigh'98
May 31st, 2013, 04:08 PM
What's the point of this article? Sounds like a d..k measuring contest. Cant speak for other conferences, but obviously any team with a decent stadium is going to prefer there own. Lafayette has a beautiful stadium on campus and I love watching us beat them there. Its a gigantic upgrade from the 90's whereas Lehigh's has remained virtually the same.

Eaglesrus
May 31st, 2013, 04:39 PM
Lol. Please. Game day experience is a no doubter for GSU.

xthumbsupx Being a fellow Eagle, I'm glad to find something I can agree with seantaylor about. Also, if you're talking overall facility we win there, too. The Citadel's home side looks good, but the vsitors' side is a dump.

Pard4Life
May 31st, 2013, 04:48 PM

Hey genius, why do think Lafayette led the league in attendance? LC-LU? Over the last 30 years who's had the better attendance on average?

Point taken, but this is like arguing the that a car has the wrong air freshener when it's a lemon. It's merely window dressing compared to the meat of the issue.

Pard4Life
May 31st, 2013, 04:49 PM
What's the point of this article? Sounds like a d..k measuring contest. Cant speak for other conferences, but obviously any team with a decent stadium is going to prefer there own. Lafayette has a beautiful stadium on campus and I love watching us beat them there. Its a gigantic upgrade from the 90's whereas Lehigh's has remained virtually the same.

It's offseason and they need to drive traffic to their website. It's a very subjective thing.

Pard4Life
May 31st, 2013, 04:50 PM
DFW,

My point was, Lehigh has dominated the league in attendance since its formation. Pardlife tried to say that Layette's fan support is vastly superior to that of Lehigh which is laughable when you look at the numbers over years. Only at Lafayette is beating Lehigh 3 times in 20+ years a success xblehx

Wrong again. The benchmark for success is one, and that is what the athletic administration and the President's Office use.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 31st, 2013, 04:52 PM
Point taken, but this is like arguing the that a car has the wrong air freshener when it's a lemon. It's merely window dressing compared to the meat of the issue.

Serious question, will the 150th count towards LC's home attendance? If so, you guys can gloat about the highest average in PL history xrotatehx

Apphole
May 31st, 2013, 05:16 PM
Paulson Stadium is the most over ratted venue I've ever been to. Much more comparable to Johnson Hagood than Kidd Brewer. Atmosphere included. It's not loud at all and it has the flattest gradient I've ever seen.

asumike83
May 31st, 2013, 05:23 PM
Paulson Stadium is the most over ratted venue I've ever been to. Much more comparable to Johnson Hagood than Kidd Brewer. Atmosphere included. It's not loud at all and it has the flattest gradient I've ever seen.

If you're talking purely about the quality of the stadium itself, I actually prefer Johnson Hagood over Paulson. Tailgating and atmosphere is much better at Paulson though, IMO.

Apphole
May 31st, 2013, 05:28 PM
If you're talking purely about the quality of the stadium itself, I actually prefer Johnson Hagood over Paulson. Tailgating and atmosphere is much better at Paulson though, IMO.

Yeah the tailgate was great at GSU. But there just isn't much noise come game time. I don't even know if its possible when every seat is a quarter inch higher than the one in front of it.

Pard4Life
May 31st, 2013, 05:47 PM
Serious question, will the 150th count towards LC's home attendance? If so, you guys can gloat about the highest average in PL history xrotatehx

Only 20,000 fans won't raise the averages that much... if we are lucky.

Sader87
May 31st, 2013, 05:52 PM
Admittedly partial, but to actually watch a game, there are few better stadia with the sightlines of Fitton Field. You are literally right on top of the action on the field. I agree with with DFW though...much more should and hopefully will be done with the stadium.

Same thing goes to the inverse with the Yale Bowl...terrible stadium to actually watch a game...most seats are set back very far from the field. Harvard Stadium is the gold-standard of Ivy League stadia.

carney2
May 31st, 2013, 08:31 PM

I'm with P4L. This could quite easily be an embarrassment and a financial disaster for these two schools. I know a lot of people, including me, who do not intend to be there.

carney2
May 31st, 2013, 08:38 PM
I don't get around much, but a few observations:

Lafayette's Fisher Stadium beats Lehigh's Goodman all to hell and back. But wait, I would be accused of not being objective. On the other hand, Lehigh's LFN (Lehigh Football Nation) is a writer for TSN who created this rating. But no, the fifth estate is always objective and plays no favorites.

The Ivys have a batch of legitimate first rate football shrines. The Yale Bowl is a qualified number one, but Franklin Field, despite its tarnish and faults is also one of my favorites. The Crescent at Cornell is very nice, but lacks a real other sideline. I am looking forward to my first experience at Harvard Stadium this October. Everyone says I should love Princeton Stadium, but I like it less with each game I see there. The word that strikes me is "sterile."

bjtheflamesfan
May 31st, 2013, 09:46 PM
In an effort to break the seeming mortar war between butthurt Lehigh and Lafayette posters...

Williams Stadium is the biggest in the Big South and having been to 53 straight home games there, seeing the transformation not only in the stadium but also in the atmosphere in the last 7 years has been amazing. LFN could give some insight after his trip last year

ngineer
May 31st, 2013, 11:34 PM
Princeton has the top venue in my book. Great sight lines, close to the field, convenient concessions and rest rooms. Don't know about 'sterile', but I'd call it nice and clean. Plus they don't even charge for the programs! Lafayette's Fisher certainly has been improved and to me the differences with Goodman lie with your taste. While I agree our PA announcer needs to be put out to pasture, Fisher's 'sound system' is obnoxious. Of course, I think it is due to not having a band, so they have the artificial, canned muzak blare between plays. Artificial excitement. Fisher's location on campus is a nice plus, but no decent tailgating available. Only real knock on Goodman is the distance from the stands to the sideline. Should be 20 feet closer, but either the natural bowl inhibited that from occurring or they wanted to also use it for soccer, which has a wider field. (Olympic trial soccer games were held there back in the late '80's or early '90's). The variety of concessions and large, heated rest rooms far exceed what any other PL venue has. In early October, there isn't a more scenic venue with South Mountain to the north (and I-78 can hardly be seen through the trees) ablaze in gold and reds. The one item not mentioned is the great REAL GRASS turf that was installed a few years ago. Like Richie, "Call me Dick", Allen said many years ago, "If a horse can't eat it, I don't want to play on it."

ngineer
May 31st, 2013, 11:44 PM
In an effort to break the seeming mortar war between butthurt Lehigh and Lafayette posters...

Williams Stadium is the biggest in the Big South and having been to 53 straight home games there, seeing the transformation not only in the stadium but also in the atmosphere in the last 7 years has been amazing. LFN could give some insight after his trip last year

You guys have a great stadium and atmosphere. I was there last year myself and saw the choreography. A lot that goes on is due to a different culture. From what I understand in speaking with a number of students, they MUST attend the football games, sit behind the visiting team and raise "holy" hell for 3 hours, and that they have to obtain written permission to miss a game. The syncronized cheers in response to the PA announcer were cute. The fireworks and pregame entertainment were super. I must say we were treated very nice, though I got the feeling a lot of the fans pre-game had that smile that said "Welcome, lambs to your slaughter". A lot of stunned faces in the fourth quarter. I would hope we make another trip back in the near future.

bjtheflamesfan
June 1st, 2013, 12:44 AM
You guys have a great stadium and atmosphere. I was there last year myself and saw the choreography. A lot that goes on is due to a different culture. From what I understand in speaking with a number of students, they MUST attend the football games, sit behind the visiting team and raise "holy" hell for 3 hours, and that they have to obtain written permission to miss a game. The syncronized cheers in response to the PA announcer were cute. The fireworks and pregame entertainment were super. I must say we were treated very nice, though I got the feeling a lot of the fans pre-game had that smile that said "Welcome, lambs to your slaughter". A lot of stunned faces in the fourth quarter. I would hope we make another trip back in the near future.

The first two are incorrect (although 90 % of the students sit behind the visiting team) and the third isnt required but is very much expected...and the students gladly oblige that one.

Glad you guys enjoyed yourselves last year. here is hoping that LU and LU can meet on the gridiron at least once more before the Flames make the jump to FBS

AppAlum2003
June 1st, 2013, 09:17 AM
Football should not be played in a dome... Say what you want about our track but at least it's outdoors.

BisonFan02
June 1st, 2013, 09:18 AM
Football should not be played in a dome... Say what you want about our track but at least it's outdoors.

That's what I was waiting for.....just sour grapes if you haven't been there to take in a game.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 1st, 2013, 09:19 AM

Here we go again. Your fans would have even smaller testes if you sat outside in Fargo in December.

carney2
June 1st, 2013, 09:25 AM

Don't know about the stadium, but the Liberty band is worth the price of admission.

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 1st, 2013, 10:17 AM
Obvious homer pick...I give Paulson Stadium the edge over Kidd Brewer because there's no track, real grass, better weather, and better overall tailgating atmosphere.

bjtheflamesfan
June 1st, 2013, 11:10 AM
Don't know about the stadium, but the Liberty band is worth the price of admission.

The marching band has really stepped it up in the last five years or so in both marching and music. I'll have to get the song lineup for 2013 at some point and put it in the FCS bands thread

IBleedYellow
June 1st, 2013, 11:36 AM
Obvious homer pick...I give Paulson Stadium the edge over Kidd Brewer because there's no track, real grass, better weather, and better overall tailgating atmosphere.

But where The Rock is located tilts it's scales just from pictures, imo. Being in the mountains like that is beautiful!

Nexus 4

Accelerati Incredibilus
June 1st, 2013, 11:56 AM

Obviously a homer pick.... xlolx Better weather? Thankfully the App games are played in November. Even then the heat & high humidity is only surpassed by those blasted gnats. Better tailgating atmosphere? You guys are jammed into big flat parking lots. Other than the Stadium Lot (which I chose not to be a part of) ASU's tailgating areas have grass, trees and as someone else mentioned.... incredible scenery to enjoy.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 1st, 2013, 12:15 PM
Obviously a homer pick.... xlolx Better weather? Thankfully the App games are played in November. Even then the heat & high humidity is only surpassed by those blasted gnats. Better tailgating atmosphere? You guys are jammed into big flat parking lots. Other than the Stadium Lot (which I chose not to be a part of) ASU's tailgating areas have grass, trees and as someone else mentioned.... incredible scenery to enjoy.

App State's tailgating is very disjointed so I guess if someone thought that was a problem then they'd say it wasn't a good atmosphere but I thought it was very cool to walk around to all different small spots and have some fun. There were a couple of tailgates that we wanted to go to last year that we didn't even really get a chance to because things were kind of spread out but the tailgating at App was great fun.

Apphole
June 1st, 2013, 01:52 PM

Utterly ridiculous.

Saint3333
June 1st, 2013, 03:01 PM
App State has football weather. Warm the first six games and cool the next two, and one cold game.

AppAlum2003
June 1st, 2013, 03:43 PM
That's what I was waiting for.....just sour grapes if you haven't been there to take in a game.

Did I say anything in particular about your little school or state? Domes in general. Even in the pros. Football atmospheres inside domes are plastic and are more like rock concerts than sporting events. And it's not a cold weather/warm weather thing to me either. It can still be great football atmosphere in the cold or in 80 degree weather.

AppAlum2003
June 1st, 2013, 03:44 PM
Here we go again. Your fans would have even smaller testes if you sat outside in Fargo in December.

People in "cold" states crack me up. Every comeback is automatically "yeah, well it's really really really cold here!"..... wat? why is that awesome? There's a reason civilized society has moved indoors... cold really really sucks.

seantaylor
June 1st, 2013, 04:39 PM
Utterly ridiculous.

Not even close. GSU's tailgating destroys Appys. Hell, Furman's is better than Appys.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 1st, 2013, 05:27 PM
Did I say anything in particular about your little school or state? Domes in general. Even in the pros. Football atmospheres inside domes are plastic and are more like rock concerts than sporting events. And it's not a cold weather/warm weather thing to me either. It can still be great football atmosphere in the cold or in 80 degree weather.

As long as you're playing on a plastic field, you cannot claim any less artifice.

Eagle22
June 1st, 2013, 05:29 PM
Yeah the tailgate was great at GSU. But there just isn't much noise come game time. I don't even know if its possible when every seat is a quarter inch higher than the one in front of it.

The noise @ ASU is probably louder due to rattling all around that aluminum ;) Your perspective is how loud it is in the stands, I would assume.

Seriously though, Kidd-Brewer is the loudest venue in the SoCon, and Paulson is next. I've been on the field during games in every SoCon venue since 1993 and the difference is marginal at field level.

Really though, both pale in comparison to the Fargo Dome. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the loudest ... Fargo Dome is the 10, Kidd-Brewer would be about a 7 and Paulson would be a 6. Finley Stadium got up around 6 or 7 on that same scale the years ASU and GSU fans packed their respective National Championship games ...

Fargo Dome is in a league of its own when you are talking about noise.

BisonFan02
June 1st, 2013, 05:36 PM

You're right, my fault for assuming your post had anything to do with the topic of FCS venues...my bad. You clearly meant the UNIdome or the Dakota Dome. :D

AppAlum2003
June 1st, 2013, 05:36 PM
As long as you're playing on a plastic field, you cannot claim any less artifice.

Big difference between field turf and having a roof over your head. If you can't see that I can't help you. Maybe if I lived in a place where the sun was only up for 6 hours a day I'd understand your point of view.

Sader87
June 1st, 2013, 05:46 PM
God said that football was meant to be played only outside, on grass, in clear, crisp weather between 40-60 degrees, in a stadium on campus, with tailgating fields abutting the stadium....he was a big Holy Cross fan before we joined the Patriot League.

clenz
June 1st, 2013, 06:16 PM
When it comes to noise nothing in the FCS will come close to UNI or NDSU.

Yes, we have a built in advantage with the roof, but nothing comes close.

http://articles.mcall.com/2010-11-23/sports/mc-lehigh-football-1123-20101123_1_lehigh-preps-coen-s-mountain-hawks-noise
Coen has talked to several coaches who have taken teams into the UNI Dome, including Delaware's K.C. Keeler, whose team won a second-round game there in 2007 en route to a berth in the national title game.
Delaware won the game, 39-27, but Blue Hens quarterback Joe Flacco lost his voice for the following week because he was yelling so loud.
I walked out of that game with my ears ringing like they did after walking out of a rock concert in a tiny ass venue a couple months earlier.

I've been to a NDSU game and it gets every bit as loud.

I've been to games at Jack Trice, Papa John's Cardinal Stadium, Kinnick, the Metrodome, and a couple other large venues....the UNIDome and FargoArena were louder than every single one of them.

From an NDSU fan on AGS in 2010-2011ish "Really, when I went to UNI, it was pretty deafening even with a pretty sparse crowd "

asumike83
June 1st, 2013, 06:18 PM
Not even close. GSU's tailgating destroys Appys. Hell, Furman's is better than Appys.

Yeah, and the Wofford tailgate scene puts GSU to shame.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 1st, 2013, 06:29 PM
Big difference between field turf and having a roof over your head. If you can't see that I can't help you. Maybe if I lived in a place where the sun was only up for 6 hours a day I'd understand your point of view.

I don't think I will ever understand your point of view. That being said, if you have the engineering know how to build a building large enough to play football, that is something of which to be proud.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 1st, 2013, 06:49 PM

I walked out of that game with my ears ringing like they did after walking out of a rock concert in a tiny ass venue a couple months earlier.

I've been to games at Jack Trice, Papa John's Cardinal Stadium, Kinnick, the Metrodome, and a couple other large venues....the UNIDome and FargoArena were louder than every single one of them.

From an NDSU fan on AGS in 2010-2011ish "Really, when I went to UNI, it was pretty deafening even with a pretty sparse crowd "

Doesn't top Montana.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 1st, 2013, 07:04 PM
Doesn't top Montana.

The Fargo Dome is insanely loud. I think NDSU has the ability to be louder than Griz Stadium if each venue was at their best. UD back in the day could give Montana a run for the money imo. Stadiums simply aren't built (stands go straight up) like the hen house anymore.

http://camptemplate.activecm.net/Assets/UDelawareFootball+Digital+Assets/Delaware+Stadium.jpg

IBleedYellow
June 1st, 2013, 07:34 PM
The Fargo Dome is insanely loud. I think NDSU has the ability to be louder than Griz Stadium if each venue was at their best. UD back in the day could give Montana a run for the money imo. Stadiums simply aren't built (stands go straight up) like the hen house anymore.

http://camptemplate.activecm.net/Assets/UDelawareFootball+Digital+Assets/Delaware+Stadium.jpg

Pretty sure the last playoff games I've been to since 2010 in the Dome my ears have been ringing just like I was just coming from a rock concert. I will say after the last GSU game I was physically and emotionally drained. It was crazy, after we won our first playoff game in 2010 the crowds of NDSU fans figured out we can effect the game by not just making noise, but making LOTS of noise. I think GSU, JMU, Lehigh or SDSU fans/players can attest to this.

Nexus 4

Apphole
June 1st, 2013, 07:38 PM
The noise @ ASU is probably louder due to rattling all around that aluminum ;) Your perspective is how loud it is in the stands, I would assume.

Seriously though, Kidd-Brewer is the loudest venue in the SoCon, and Paulson is next. I've been on the field during games in every SoCon venue since 1993 and the difference is marginal at field level.

Really though, both pale in comparison to the Fargo Dome. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the loudest ... Fargo Dome is the 10, Kidd-Brewer would be about a 7 and Paulson would be a 6. Finley Stadium got up around 6 or 7 on that same scale the years ASU and GSU fans packed their respective National Championship games ...

Fargo Dome is in a league of its own when you are talking about noise.

I've been on the field at Kidd Brewer many games, but only in the stands for Paulson. In all seriousness though. Paulson is barely half as loud as The Rock.

clenz
June 1st, 2013, 07:48 PM
Pretty sure the last playoff games I've been to since 2010 in the Dome my ears have been ringing just like I was just coming from a rock concert. I will say after the last GSU game I was physically and emotionally drained. It was crazy, after we won our first playoff game in 2010 the crowds of NDSU fans figured out we can effect the game by not just making noise, but making LOTS of noise. I think GSU, JMU, Lehigh or SDSU fans/players can attest to this.

Nexus 4Both the UNIDome and Fargo"Dome" are insanely loud. I know Montana fans won't believe that they are louder than Wa Griz...but I'll put money that they are.

There's a reason UD said the noise would have no affect on them in 2007 but in the first quarter used 2 TO's, went to strictly hand signals and no voice commands, and had 4 or 5 false starts and Flacco had no voice left

McNeese72
June 1st, 2013, 07:53 PM
Wow!! UCA in the Southland???? I've been to Conway three times and I would not have expected that choice. xconfusedx

I assume the author has never been to Cowboy Stadium.

Doc

ursus arctos horribilis
June 1st, 2013, 08:00 PM
Both the UNIDome and Fargo"Dome" are insanely loud. I know Montana fans won't believe that they are louder than Wa Griz...but I'll put money that they are.

There's a reason UD said the noise would have no affect on them in 2007 but in the first quarter used 2 TO's, went to strictly hand signals and no voice commands, and had 4 or 5 false starts and Flacco had no voice left

I won't believe because they are not. They may be as loud but we don't have the roof.

heath
June 1st, 2013, 08:41 PM
I'm with P4L. This could quite easily be an embarrassment and a financial disaster for these two schools. I know a lot of people, including me, who do not intend to be there.

You sound just like Chucky at LFN. You can't wait to give your expert opinion,bash coaches/players,make excuses,or even gloat.........but you can't seem to get your old ass in a vehicle and go support the boys you claim/seem to love.xnonox Stay at home,watch on TV and shut the hell upxthumbsupx PATHETIC

GAD
June 1st, 2013, 08:41 PM
There has been a total of one game played at hornet stadium..... and they made it #1 in the SWAC

BisonFan02
June 1st, 2013, 10:59 PM
I won't believe because they are not. They may be as loud but we don't have the roof.

...and if the Fargodome could add 6,000 more seats, we would be that much louder than Wa Griz....there, we're even. :D

That being said, Wa Griz is pretty freaking awesome...

McNeese75
June 1st, 2013, 11:31 PM
Wow!! UCA in the Southland???? I've been to Conway three times and I would not have expected that choice. xconfusedx

Doc

Is must be the idiot on the PA system in front of the student section that is the attraction. Beats me why UCA is the pick.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 1st, 2013, 11:48 PM
...and if the Fargodome could add 6,000 more seats, we would be that much louder than Wa Griz....there, we're even. :D

That being said, Wa Griz is pretty freaking awesome...

Well the ESPN decibel meter back in 2004 prior to the additions and during a playoff game read somewhere in the mid 120's and at that time I think the patron count would be similar to FD. I'll call it a draw since I don't know of anything recorded more recently with the additional 5-6k fans.xthumbsupx

Lehigh Football Nation
June 2nd, 2013, 12:00 AM
You sound just like Chucky at LFN. You can't wait to give your expert opinion,bash coaches/players,make excuses,or even gloat.........but you can't seem to get your old ass in a vehicle and go support the boys you claim/seem to love.xnonox Stay at home,watch on TV and shut the hell upxthumbsupx PATHETIC

I'll happily own gloating. I'll even happily own giving my opinion on matters. But where I'm pretty mystified is how I get lumped into "bashing coaches and players". I think even P4L chuckled about that one.

As for hammering carney on this, while I will say I'm definitely going to the 150th, I can certainly understand his (and others) philosophical reasons for not going.

bjtheflamesfan
June 2nd, 2013, 07:03 AM
Man...so much butthurt over the last few pages...App State fans, NDSU fans. Lehigh fans, Lafayette fans...oy!

Houndawg
June 2nd, 2013, 07:26 AM

Its been pretty quiet when SIU played there.:D

It used to be that when MVC team talked about the dome they meant the one at UNI. Now there's a new kid on the block and they have a bigger better bowl.....and don't run around dressed in purple...

McNeese72
June 2nd, 2013, 07:32 AM
Is must be the idiot on the PA system in front of the student section that is the attraction. Beats me why UCA is the pick.

I emailed the guy and said, "Evidently you haven't been to Cowboy Stadium.". He replied, "Nice Stadium, just like UCA". That makes me believe he has never been to Cowboy Stadium.

Doc

dgtw
June 2nd, 2013, 08:02 AM
There has been a total of one game played at hornet stadium..... and they made it #1 in the SWAC

I'm sure the writer spent his Thanksgiving away from his family to travel to Montgomery to see that game in order to judge it against all the other SWAC stadiums I am sure he has been to.

I'll be at the second game there, I'll let you know what I think.

The Eagle's Cliff
June 2nd, 2013, 08:23 AM
I've been on the field at Kidd Brewer many games, but only in the stands for Paulson. In all seriousness though. Paulson is barely half as loud as The Rock.

KBS has the added advantage of being in an echo chamber whereas Paulson is more of a "bowl". KBS is louder, but it's not because the fans are making more noise, but acoustical setting that makes the difference. There's a lot of great tailgating at KBS, but it's spread out in campus parking lots as opposed to the big parking lot at Paulson - again an effect of geography.

I've got no problem admitting KBS is a better venue than Paulson, but I think that only lasts for one more season until our first phase of renovations are complete. App State has enjoyed a 10 year period of being "better" than the Ga Southern they envied and emulated (mostly due to Ga Southern's own stupid decisions which resulted in Armanti Edwards going to App and beating Michigan) but GSU has finally gotten it's ish together and will pass the hillbillies by again.

BEAR
June 2nd, 2013, 08:52 AM

Doc

Amen! I'm a bear fan but we have a long way to go in tailgating no matter the success on the field. Cowboys have us easily beat. But I will admit all those Katrina transplants sure showed this sleepy little town how to improve it.

BEAR
June 2nd, 2013, 08:59 AM
I emailed the guy and said, "Evidently you haven't been to Cowboy Stadium.". He replied, "Nice Stadium, just like UCA". That makes me believe he has never been to Cowboy Stadium.

Doc

Xlolx the guy on the microphone is a student. That's all student led. For the students. It's one way the students are trying to get those no participatory students involved. We don't have a rich tradition of student involvement so it's necessary and since the students are leading it I'm behind it. If they bother you, I'd hate to see you at an ole miss game. FAR worse on the ears than a little music.

asumike83
June 2nd, 2013, 10:54 AM
KBS has the added advantage of being in an echo chamber whereas Paulson is more of a "bowl". KBS is louder, but it's not because the fans are making more noise, but acoustical setting that makes the difference. There's a lot of great tailgating at KBS, but it's spread out in campus parking lots as opposed to the big parking lot at Paulson - again an effect of geography.

I've got no problem admitting KBS is a better venue than Paulson, but I think that only lasts for one more season until our first phase of renovations are complete. App State has enjoyed a 10 year period of being "better" than the Ga Southern they envied and emulated (mostly due to Ga Southern's own stupid decisions which resulted in Armanti Edwards going to App and beating Michigan) but GSU has finally gotten it's ish together and will pass the hillbillies by again.

I like the Paulson expansion plans, it will be a nice upgrade for sure. However, App will be relocating the track and expanding capacity in the next few years as well.

van
June 2nd, 2013, 12:17 PM

Number three... 3! In this case, three<1... 1, 2, 3 Who is number one? Lafayette...

Wha... WHAT?? Ok, the drunk Fountain Fowl like to drink, but take a look at their 'student section' and it's about 25 frat bros wearing turd stains and chanting cliche "safety school" and "you can't do that" chants.

And INTIMATE?? When seats at the 50-yard line put you further away from the action that sitting at the 5-yard line? Maybe intimate with a sunburn and some wasps... Not to mention the PA announcer who drools over the microphone and sounds worse than a New York City subway conductor over the PA.

The league takes its academics seriously, not Lehigh. Dead last in APR by a wide margin behind the other schools? I did not know physical education and communications were such difficult majors.

See you in November with your tired and weak football team.

Apphole
June 2nd, 2013, 01:12 PM
I like the Paulson expansion plans, it will be a nice upgrade for sure. However, App will be relocating the track and expanding capacity in the next few years as well.
And there is no way that Paulson will surpass KBS after adding one upper deck ect. KBS, as is (track included and temp EZ seating) is a larger, louder, more impressive venue than the end product of Paulson's coming renovations. Any tour through our athletics facility (described to me by an NFL scout as the most impressive facility in North Carolina including BOA stadium and the BCS schools) and one minute on the field during a third down will turn even the biggest Stink homer into a believer.

Eaglesrus
June 2nd, 2013, 02:25 PM

The groundbreaking ceremony for our new football operations center and seating expansion is this Wednesday morning. It's supposed to be completed for the 2014 season. Curious to see what it will look like this season.

813Jag
June 2nd, 2013, 05:30 PM
probably because it's new. I can't wait to see it hopefully filled with Jags.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 2nd, 2013, 06:04 PM
I'm really looking forward to seeing a couple more stadiums after I move. So far, in the MVFC, I've only been to the FD, Coughlin, the UNI, and ISUb. I'm hoping to get to MoST and SIU in the next few years.

Pard4Life
June 2nd, 2013, 06:21 PM
See you in November with your tired and weak football team.

Why wait until November? Let's play September 7 and get it over with.

Pard4Life
June 2nd, 2013, 06:24 PM
I'll happily own gloating. I'll even happily own giving my opinion on matters. But where I'm pretty mystified is how I get lumped into "bashing coaches and players". I think even P4L chuckled about that one.

As for hammering carney on this, while I will say I'm definitely going to the 150th, I can certainly understand his (and others) philosophical reasons for not going.

If you did not start bashing coaches and players 2005-2007, you won't start now. It's not LFN's style... clearly he's not from Philadelphia.

Carney goes to all of the home games (unless it snows or it's a hurricane) and has been for awhile, so he can do as he pleases. I am not crazy about Yankee Stadium, but I'll be there.

Lehigh'98
June 2nd, 2013, 06:30 PM
If you did not start bashing coaches and players 2005-2007, you won't start now. It's not LFN's style... clearly he's not from Philadelphia.

Carney goes to all of the home games (unless it snows or it's a hurricane) and has been for awhile, so he can do as he pleases. I am not crazy about Yankee Stadium, but I'll be there.

That's it, hug it out..

Vitojr130
June 2nd, 2013, 06:42 PM

Did someone say noise? :D

Oh, and tailgating? xnodx

GAD
June 2nd, 2013, 06:52 PM
I'm sure the writer spent his Thanksgiving away from his family to travel to Montgomery to see that game in order to judge it against all the other SWAC stadiums I am sure he has been to.

I'll be at the second game there, I'll let you know what I think.
Most people would tell you Southern or Jackson State is #1 in the SWAC. Alcorn possibly but as 813 said its probably cause its new
I'll be looking forward to your report Have fun

seantaylor
June 3rd, 2013, 02:31 AM
And there is no way that Paulson will surpass KBS after adding one upper deck ect. KBS, as is (track included and temp EZ seating) is a larger, louder, more impressive venue than the end product of Paulson's coming renovations. Any tour through our athletics facility (described to me by an NFL scout as the most impressive facility in North Carolina including BOA stadium and the BCS schools) and one minute on the field during a third down will turn even the biggest Stink homer into a believer.

Only a Georgia State fan has been as delusional as you in the history of fandom.

ValleyChamp
June 3rd, 2013, 06:20 AM
Its been pretty quiet when SIU played there.:D

It used to be that when MVC team talked about the dome they meant the one at UNI. Now there's a new kid on the block and they have a bigger better bowl.....and don't run around dressed in purple...

???

SIU has like 1 single win at UNI in the last 25 years.

Nice piggy-back smack talking on the backs if others due to the irrelevance if your own program. SIU fans used to have pride, smh...

clenz
June 3rd, 2013, 06:26 AM
???

SIU has like 1 single win at UNI in the last 25 years.

Nice piggy-back smack talking on the backs if others due to the irrelevance if your own program. SIU fans used to have pride, smh...

His troll attemptd get weaker every year...it's sad to watch really.That's why I pretty much ignore every thing he posts

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 4 Beta

asumike83
June 3rd, 2013, 06:42 AM
Only a Georgia State fan has been as delusional as you in the history of fandom.

Most ironic post ever.

Apphole
June 3rd, 2013, 07:03 AM

xlolx Have you ever even been to an App game?

Accelerati Incredibilus
June 3rd, 2013, 07:25 AM
The groundbreaking ceremony for our new football operations center and seating expansion is this Wednesday morning. It's supposed to be completed for the 2014 season. Curious to see what it will look like this season.

Are you sure this time? Ya'll have been starting construction on that building for 2-3 years.

carney2
June 3rd, 2013, 07:38 AM
Why wait until November? Let's play September 7 and get it over with.

Better yet, home and home like in the olde days.

carney2
June 3rd, 2013, 07:55 AM

I am a lightning rod and revel in that status. I only object when it becomes personal and mean spirited, which it never has with Lehigh people.

Correction: I attend "all of the home games (unless it [REALLY] snows...)" (I attended the 1993 Colgate game played in a hurricane), the Lehigh game when it's at Badman, and at least one additional road trip every year. Last year it was RMU and Yale. This year it will be Harvard and...

We have a dwindling, but still significant, crew that attends the Squawk bashing each November. People come from as far away as Arizona and it is the second biggest day of the year (next to Christmas) at my house. Every room is "rented," the booze flows, the food is plentiful, and lies are swapped until the wee small hours. Every school has homecoming. At Lehigh and Lafayette, homecoming is just another day. If you want to see your olde schoolmates, you show up on the Saturday before Thanksgiving. This Bronx thing has created dissension in the ranks. We have 5 options on the table and 2 of them involve traveling into NYC for No. 150. Those 2 are running 3 and 4 in the current voting.

Ivytalk
June 3rd, 2013, 09:29 AM
Princeton's stadium is the most modern and user-friendly in the Ivies. Harvard Stadium is the most "classic" (read:old) with the best sight lines unless you're in the colonnade.

parr90
June 3rd, 2013, 10:46 AM
xthumbsupx Being a fellow Eagle, I'm glad to find something I can agree with seantaylor about. Also, if you're talking overall facility we win there, too. The Citadel's home side looks good, but the vsitors' side is a dump.

Well it wont matter before long anyway. After the renovations are complete it wont even be an argument. Of course then we will be arguing with other FBS schools in the sunbelt about it. I have been to a Cit game and if they think there gameday experience is as good as GSU's or Apps then they are drinking the cool-aid. All men and very few women. Got to have females at football games and they must have teeth.

MarkCCU
June 3rd, 2013, 12:01 PM
Charleston Southern has the best because they've gone for historical accuracy. They attempt to recreate that first football game atmosphere with their stadium.

Pard4Life
June 3rd, 2013, 01:26 PM
Princeton's stadium is the most modern and user-friendly in the Ivies. Harvard Stadium is the most "classic" (read:old) with the best sight lines unless you're in the colonnade.

It seems like "the best Ivy stadium" all depends upon personal taste... all have great attributes in one way or another. Even Columbia... especially if you like seagulls.

Pard4Life
June 3rd, 2013, 01:28 PM
I am a lightning rod and revel in that status. I only object when it becomes personal and mean spirited, which it never has with Lehigh people.

Correction: I attend "all of the home games (unless it [REALLY] snows...)" (I attended the 1993 Colgate game played in a hurricane), the Lehigh game when it's at Badman, and at least one additional road trip every year. Last year it was RMU and Yale. This year it will be Harvard and...

We have a dwindling, but still significant, crew that attends the Squawk bashing each November. People come from as far away as Arizona and it is the second biggest day of the year (next to Christmas) at my house. Every room is "rented," the booze flows, the food is plentiful, and lies are swapped until the wee small hours. Every school has homecoming. At Lehigh and Lafayette, homecoming is just another day. If you want to see your olde schoolmates, you show up on the Saturday before Thanksgiving. This Bronx thing has created dissension in the ranks. We have 5 options on the table and 2 of them involve traveling into NYC for No. 150. Those 2 are running 3 and 4 in the current voting.

Does one of them involve renting a suite at the Waldorf? Lafayette used to have events there before having games at the Polo Grounds.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 3rd, 2013, 01:37 PM
I'm going to interrupt this little slapfight for another amusing picture from my travels around the MVFC. Here is a pic of the West (Northwest) endzone at Memorial Stadium in Terre Haute, IN. It appears in the place of a net, when someone kicks a FG or PAT into that goal post, a worker has to go get the ball from the roof by climbing a ladder. It's rather amusing.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/339259_779266636589_466785541_o.jpg

Pard4Life
June 3rd, 2013, 01:46 PM
Charleston Southern has the best because they've gone for historical accuracy. They attempt to recreate that first football game atmosphere with their stadium.

http://www.philsteele.com/images/FCS%20stadiums/CharlestonSO.jpg

carney2
June 3rd, 2013, 02:16 PM
Does one of them involve renting a suite at the Waldorf? Lafayette used to have events there before having games at the Polo Grounds.

Close. One involves a weekend in NYC with the entire crew taking time from other events to subway to The Bronx on Saturday afternoon.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 3rd, 2013, 02:24 PM
Close. One involves a weekend in NYC with the entire crew taking time from other events to subway to The Bronx on Saturday afternoon.

What if it's on a Thursday or a Friday?

DFW HOYA
June 3rd, 2013, 02:35 PM
I'm going to interrupt this little slapfight for another amusing picture from my travels around the MVFC. Here is a pic of the West (Northwest) endzone at Memorial Stadium in Terre Haute, IN. It appears in the place of a net, when someone kicks a FG or PAT into that goal post, a worker has to go get the ball from the roof by climbing a ladder. It's rather amusing.

Memorial Stadium...What it was:
http://brisray.com/th/pcms03.jpg

What it became:
http://www.stadiumsusa.com/images/thumbs/94770ea690a0f30fcec2422d8d298284b127881e.jpg-590x1000.png

NoDak 4 Ever
June 3rd, 2013, 02:41 PM

What it became:
http://www.stadiumsusa.com/images/thumbs/94770ea690a0f30fcec2422d8d298284b127881e.jpg-590x1000.png

Wow, that's amazing. It's quite rinky-dink compared to the above picture.

PAllen
June 3rd, 2013, 02:50 PM
Bad day at the office P4L?

Yeah, they taught you to count to 3. What's your point? Let's see how Lafayette does without Lehigh/Lafayette at Fischer.

No it doesn't, you can't see I-70 from the stands or the tailgating/parking areas, and the coke furnaces have been gone for a while.

Agreed, not exactly intimate with the game, but it's not like there is a bad seat in the house either and honestly feels a lot closer to the action than the upper corner seats a Fischer.

You're right, we've been admitting HS drop outs all along, that's the only reason you can't beat us (or anybody else of note for that matter).

See number 1. Lehigh/Lafayette was in Easton in 2012.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 3rd, 2013, 02:51 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_md3wamlsgC1rd8sq6o1_500.gif

813Jag
June 3rd, 2013, 03:01 PM

What it became:
I have to catch a game here, I'm intrigued by the single sided stadium

NoDak 4 Ever
June 3rd, 2013, 03:03 PM

It's a weird experience. I'm sure there were people yelling like crazy but you couldn't really hear it. There were plenty of people there but I could literally still hear the players on the field.

Those in Fargo would liken it to Alex Nemzek Stadium, home of the Minnesota State Moorhead Dragons.

813Jag
June 3rd, 2013, 03:25 PM
It's a weird experience. I'm sure there were people yelling like crazy but you couldn't really hear it. There were plenty of people there but I could literally still hear the players on the field.

Those in Fargo would liken it to Alex Nemzek Stadium, home of the Minnesota State Moorhead Dragons.
the closest thing I've ever seen to that is the old Henderson Stadium at Alcorn St. Although it did have bleachers on the other side, but they couldn't have sat more than a couple hundred.

Pard4Life
June 3rd, 2013, 03:28 PM

Why not try Fordham?
http://image1.stadiumjourney.com/images/stadiums/1295_Fordham_Rams_Game_Action_at_Coffey_Field

carney2
June 3rd, 2013, 03:54 PM
What if it's on a Thursday or a Friday?

All are betting that it will be on the the Saturday before Thanksgiving. There are traditions to be upheld, you know. You do, however, bring up an interesting point, what with TV somehow involved.

If it's on a Thursday or Friday get out the soap because these two schools are going to take one of the biggest baths in FCS history. The number of people who are willing to drop everything and disrupt their lives to go to New York (in peak traffic) for this falls dramatically.

carney2
June 3rd, 2013, 03:56 PM
Why not try Fordham?

Or RMU. We should start a thread asking how many FCS stadiums are one sided.

hawkineer
June 3rd, 2013, 07:54 PM

Monmouth is one sided.

DFW HOYA
June 3rd, 2013, 09:22 PM

Butler, Davidson, Marist, Wagner...anyone else?

(Unfortunately, that reads like Georgetown's non-conference schedule...)

IBleedYellow
June 4th, 2013, 05:34 AM
South Dakota State has a pretty one sided place. It's wooden bleachers that they have on the NDSU side. I say this because the only time those bleachers are full is when NDSU is in town...

It also feels like we are going to break those bleachers every year we have to sit in them.

Their other side is a nice large slab of concrete that does a good job, though it is a little old.

Then they also have the Dykehouse which isn't exactly box seating, but seems to always have people in it's windows.

Nexus 4

813Jag
June 4th, 2013, 06:59 AM
Why not try Fordham?
http://image1.stadiumjourney.com/images/stadiums/1295_Fordham_Rams_Game_Action_at_Coffey_Field
I'll put it on my to do list

813Jag
June 4th, 2013, 07:00 AM
813jag one sided stadium visit list:
ISU blue
Fordham
Monmouth
RMU
Butler
Davidson
Marist
Wagner

AmsterBison
June 4th, 2013, 07:53 AM

Well, to be fair, at NDSU's old Dacotah Field, they used to have to retrieve some footballs from the top of the Bison Sports Arena - the only difference is that it was quite a bit harder to get a PAT up there.

Solution to one-sided fields: Big mirror on the other side. Heard they were doing that at the Alerus Center (University of North Dakota) so they could double their attendance figures but had to stop because too many fights broke out.

CID1990
June 4th, 2013, 09:03 AM

With collectively less teeth. We replaced Marshall with GSU. Coincidence? I think not.

kdinva
June 4th, 2013, 09:05 AM
With collectively less teeth.

OUCH.. xslapfightx

CID1990
June 4th, 2013, 09:10 AM
I have to say that the Kidd Brewer pick is accurate. I love going to games there.

JMUNJ08
June 4th, 2013, 11:51 AM
So after reading through all 12 pages of butt hurt agruments, I can say for certain that everyone agrees JMU's Bridgeforth Stadium is the best in the CAA?

WUTNDITWAA
June 4th, 2013, 12:55 PM
So after reading through all 12 pages of butt hurt agruments, I can say for certain that everyone agrees JMU's Bridgeforth Stadium is the best in the CAA?

With one half of a stadium tied behind its back to make it fair.

Neighbor2
June 4th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Goodman Stadium has nice geography, that's for sure. However, the stadium was poorly designed. So. . . .hate me. The stands are way too far back from the sidelines. Most times, the backfield grandstand doesn't even appear in action photos. After Taylor Stadium, that's really sad. Old Taylor was probably the best fan-inclusive stadium in ALL of football. They took the natural bowl and filled it in with seats WITHOUT regard to preserving what made Taylor so special. Today's crowds reflect the lack of wisdom in that design. So, what to do?

As to the announcer. . . loyalty should only go so far. The current guy is NOT, and never was, of announcer quality. He might well be a nice guy, but this is business. No? Truth be told, we gave up our basketball season tickets partly because we find this guy's "pretend" intonation offensive. Seriously! As a 'true "neighbor, I am forced to listen to this guy through my patio doors. I can hardly stand it! Give it up, Bill. And for you, Lehigh brass, get a clue.

Let it rip!

Andy
June 5th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Goodman Stadium has nice geography, that's for sure. However, the stadium was poorly designed. So. . . .hate me. The stands are way too far back from the sidelines. Most times, the backfield grandstand doesn't even appear in action photos. After Taylor Stadium, that's really sad. Old Taylor was probably the best fan-inclusive stadium in ALL of football. They took the natural bowl and filled it in with seats WITHOUT regard to preserving what made Taylor so special. Today's crowds reflect the lack of wisdom in that design. So, what to do?

Couldn't agree more with your very fair assessment of Goodman. The good stuff is all outside the bowl. For purely watching a football game, bottom of the list. Bring your binos.

Accelerati Incredibilus
June 5th, 2013, 10:11 AM
Although the exterior facade is a little excessive, Princeton's Stadium gets my vote as the best under 30,000 seat football facility in the country. The way they integrated the track into it is brilliant.

http://www.princeton.edu/football/photo1.htm

Pard4Life
June 5th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Couldn't agree more with your very fair assessment of Goodman. The good stuff is all outside the bowl. For purely watching a football game, bottom of the list. Bring your binos.

Good point... we have neglected to say the most direct thing to the Fountain Fowl Folks: sure, it's a nice location and has good tailgating, but for actually watching the game (the reason why you're even there), it is the worst in the PL."

carney2
June 5th, 2013, 09:04 PM
I like Badman, but let's break it down:

THE GOOD
A balanced two sided stadium. I like that.
Restrooms are plentiful and well situated.
Ample parking.

THE BAD
Not on campus and not near much of anything.
A long walk from the parking area. If it rains, or has been raining, you slog thru an endless mud flat.
For big games (once every two years) there is limited paved parking and limited gravel parking. If the weather is bad, you could be forced into a virtual swamp.
Scoreboard is straight out of the 80s.
Stands are too far from the field.
The field house is a WWII bunker that detracts from the overall appeal of the stadium.
Every once in a while the mental midgets that run Squawkville get a bee up their behind and create policies that detract from the experience. I refer specifically to those insane "sobriety checks" that went on for years at the entrance to the parking lots. One year it took me over an hour to get past checkpoint jackass. Thank heavens they've been done away with them - but who knows...

THE SO-SO
The beautiful rural setting. Not so much. If you get lucky you have one game per year when there's color on the hill. If the team's on the road that day, it's wait til next year. Most days it's just a nondescript hillside with an interstate running across it.
The grassy knoll that fills up with students once every two years creates an atmosphere that doesn't exist elsewhere in the Patriot League, BUT all those students coming down from the stands creates the illusion that there are a lot of no-shows for the sold out game.

Badman is, at best, number two in the Patriot League, and if Fitton got a spruce up and/or Christy Mathewson attracted more than the players' families as spectators, who knows how far they'd fall.

Go...gate
June 5th, 2013, 10:26 PM
Why not try Fordham?

One does the best they can with what they have. Colgate's ballpark, as much as I love it, has a few limitations, too. I actually like Goodman. Reminds me of old Rutgers Stadium - in a natural ravine. Nice place to watch a football game.

LUHawker
June 6th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Everyone, namely my Leopard compatriots, like to make a big deal out the fact that Goodman Stadium isn't, "on-campus". Two things. 1) that is factually incorrect, and I am being semantical here, but Goodman is on University property - it just isn't next to the academic area. No apologies should be made to the Leotards because we have a large "campus" and can have an entire complex dedicated to athletics. 2) Who really gives a crap? Are you really strolling the quad around game time? Does that really improve the game experience? Don't think so. I've been to lots of games where the stadium is on campus and usually that just means it sucks for tailgating, parking, and concessions.

Lafayette, G'Town, Villanova, Penn, as just a couple of examples, all have "on-campus" stadia - and you know what, they suck from a holistic experience perspective.

The LC folks grab onto the only little "advantage" they think they have with their facilities and run with it. Goodman is a great place to see a game: nice facility, ample space for parking and tailgating, separate student tailgating section, great location, easy access and most importantly, easy to watch the Pards get their asses kicked regularly. :D

NoDak 4 Ever
June 6th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Everyone, namely my Leopard compatriots, like to make a big deal out the fact that Goodman Stadium isn't, "on-campus". Two things. 1) that is factually incorrect, and I am being semantical here, but Goodman is on University property - it just isn't next to the academic area. No apologies should be made to the Leotards because we have a large "campus" and can have an entire complex dedicated to athletics. 2) Who really gives a crap? Are you really strolling the quad around game time? Does that really improve the game experience? Don't think so. I've been to lots of games where the stadium is on campus and usually that just means it sucks for tailgating, parking, and concessions.

Lafayette, G'Town, Villanova, Penn, as just a couple of examples, all have "on-campus" stadia - and you know what, they suck from a holistic experience perspective.

The LC folks grab onto the only little "advantage" they think they have with their facilities and run with it. Goodman is a great place to see a game: nice facility, ample space for parking and tailgating, separate student tailgating section, great location, easy access and most importantly, easy to watch the Pards get their asses kicked regularly. :D

This was one of the major problems with the University of Minnesota using the Metrodome. Any college football stadium should be an easy walk for freshmen and sophomores from their dorms. That's how you build an exciting college atmosphere, student participation.

bostonspider
June 6th, 2013, 09:49 AM
I know it only seats 9K and it has a track, but I love Robins Stadium at Richmond. Located within Richmond's spectactular campus, with plenty of parking through out for tailgating. Always full, with beautiful brick collegiate gothic architecture, every modern convenience, and not a bad seat in the house, I think it is close to the perfect small school stadium..

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5305/5866092887_c8af87abc1_b.jpg

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics32/640/ZX/ZXBXPEYDLUPWQIT.20121113192907.jpg

http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/wp-content/gallery/richmond-spiders-richmond-stadium/richmond2.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8493/8434197590_2b76443990_b.jpg

parr90
June 6th, 2013, 09:59 AM

Dont agree! I think it will be close but after the addition of GSU's new deck and facility in the endzone plus adding to the ends of each side will bring Paulson at least up to standard with App if not better. The facility is going to be top shelf. Paulson is already loud on a full day against a team like App and the extra will make it much more. As to the future expansion of the Kid B stadium, GSU is also planning more additions in the next 5 years post the first additon which will add another deck with upgraded box suites. Both are going to be very nice and maybe the nicest in the sunbelt Maybe. I think both of us are looking at some very nice facilities. Obviously both are going to choose their stadiums over the others.

DFW HOYA
June 6th, 2013, 10:12 AM

Which of these schools does not belong in this conversation?

Lafayette's facility is as good as any in the Northeast. Franklin Field is one of the great stadiums in America and suffers by comparison only because of its age.

Apphole
June 6th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Dont agree! I think it will be close but after the addition of GSU's new deck and facility in the endzone plus adding to the ends of each side will bring Paulson at least up to standard with App if not better. The facility is going to be top shelf. Paulson is already loud on a full day against a team like App and the extra will make it much more. As to the future expansion of the Kid B stadium, GSU is also planning more additions in the next 5 years post the first additon which will add another deck with upgraded box suites. Both are going to be very nice and maybe the nicest in the sunbelt Maybe. I think both of us are looking at some very nice facilities. Obviously both are going to choose their stadiums over the others.

If you think Paulson is anywhere close to as loud as KBS, you've clearly never been to both.

Agreed that Paulson's additions are great and should do wonders for the program and atmosphere at GaSo but, if you think Paulson is anywhere close to as loud as KBS, you've clearly never been to both..

bisonnation
June 6th, 2013, 10:45 AM
The Missouri Valley Football Conference is going to have a collection of great stadiums after tbe rennovations are complete. The teams keep pushing each other to get better.

In addition to the Fargodome and UNI Dome, Youngstown States stadium is awesome! Pictures dont do justice to the atmosphere and their side bleachers are friggin huge. Although it is kind of weird shaped. great fan base too.

The Ice Castle
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/93/StambaughStadium2.jpg/800px-StambaughStadium2.jpg
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/4811/stam2.png

The new Southern Illinois Stadium is nice too. Great sightlines
http://photocom.zenfolio.com/p498237335/h1F9BF6F1

And when the new Illinois State stadium is done its going to be kick ass
http://www.goredbirds.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/092711aab.html

And now Missouri State is getting a 40 million dollar upgrade

bulldog10jw
June 6th, 2013, 02:10 PM

The bleachers on the field at the closed end weren't so great, either. Do they still have those? I haven't been to the Stadium since '88 (although I only sat in those bleachers once, in '84)

ncbears
June 6th, 2013, 03:50 PM
I know it only seats 9K and it has a track, but I love Robins Stadium at Richmond. Located within Richmond's spectactular campus, with plenty of parking through out for tailgating. Always full, with beautiful brick collegiate gothic architecture, every modern convenience, and not a bad seat in the house, I think it is close to the perfect small school stadium..

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5305/5866092887_c8af87abc1_b.jpg

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics32/640/ZX/ZXBXPEYDLUPWQIT.20121113192907.jpg

http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/wp-content/gallery/richmond-spiders-richmond-stadium/richmond2.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8493/8434197590_2b76443990_b.jpg

Only 9k and you guys wanna go FBS?

Andy
June 6th, 2013, 05:17 PM
Lafayette's facility is as good as any in the Northeast. Franklin Field is one of the great stadiums in America and suffers by comparison only because of its age.

Hoya, I know you want and deserve something bigger and grander, however, I cant tell you how much more I enjoy watching a game in MSF over a bowl where I'm nine miles from the action. Intimacy was supposed to be one of the factors in the cited article. We'll again enjoy a mini vacation around the game in DC. Marriott, walk across the bridge to the stadium, M St restaurants. Man, I cant wait! Ending the streak wouldnt hurt either.

Eaglesrus
June 6th, 2013, 05:25 PM
If you think Paulson is anywhere close to as loud as KBS, you've clearly never been to both.

Agreed that Paulson's additions are great and should do wonders for the program and atmosphere at GaSo but, if you think Paulson is anywhere close to as loud as KBS, you've clearly never been to both..

I'm pretty sure that I've been to KBS more than you've been to Paulson and I haven't heard a notable difference.

bostonspider
June 6th, 2013, 09:45 PM
Only 9k and you guys wanna go FBS?

Richmond has already been in FBS or I-A as it was called then. There is no desire or plan to return.

Pard4Life
June 6th, 2013, 09:58 PM

Well in that case, Notre Dame and Boston College have you beat there, for example. On campus? That's like saying... I'm on campus when I'm at Metzger to see a baseball game.

Yes to the Quad... it's a great (was) place to park and tailgate. Friends of mine set-up tailgate right across the street from the entrance to the stadium i.e. cross the street and get in line... Can't beat that.

Penn sucks? xeyebrowx Well yes, but Franklin Field doesn't... great place for a game experience. And who cares about concessions?! In all of my years of college football... the only thing I ever bought was a $4 pulled pork sandwich at Bucknell, and only because I ate breakfast at 7am and did not want to road rage on the way home. All of the fare is not worth it... and frankly, the same wherever you go.

citdog
June 6th, 2013, 10:17 PM
Yes to the Quad...

Commandants at The Citadel have been saying yes to the quad for more than 150 years.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/p480x480/9981_10152177260729057_205123774_n.jpg

http://i3.ytimg.com/vi/nLvCXxwOB0Y/hqdefault.jpg

Fordham
June 7th, 2013, 01:47 PM
Why not try Fordham?

A post like that brings a tear to my eyes, Pard.

Mr. C
June 7th, 2013, 01:50 PM

And what other FCS venue lay claim to having had Confederate solders buried in their stadium's end zone?

P.S. I love going to Johnson-Hagood, as long as it isn't on one of those 100-degree Charleston Saturdays.

Mr. C
June 7th, 2013, 01:54 PM
One question. How many of these venues being ranked has the writer actually been to?

ElCid
June 7th, 2013, 02:15 PM
And what other FCS venue lay claim to having had Confederate solders buried in their stadium's end zone?

P.S. I love going to Johnson-Hagood, as long as it isn't on one of those 100-degree Charleston Saturdays.

I am seriously glad that all our September games have been moved to 6PM. It does get hot, especially in those east stands.