PDA

View Full Version : I-AA.COM, A Waste of a domain name!

Retro
June 7th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Even though ralph deleted his original topic.. I think it should be discussed and i don't consider it a personel issue...

I agree with you ralph. I-AA.com is a joke for a website and a site that is supposed to be about I-AA.. :spank: There are a million sites that already discuss I-A in varying degrees...

I hate it when any website starts up with what promises to be a great addition to whatever your looking for, only to let it slide and / or turn it into something totally unrelated due to intellectual laziness, greed or lack of basic effort... The site doesn't even have up to date articles or news about I-AA.

Maybe you can get the I-AA.com name eventually and use both domains and show people real I-AA news..

henfan
June 8th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Retro, I usually respect your opinions, so I'm disappointed to see how far you missed the boat on I-AA.com, its origins, purpose and the genuine sentiments of concern that Otto Fad's always expressed for our sub-division.

I don't believe I-AA.com has ever claimed to focus only on I-AA. It's a website which has always attempted to examine I-AA in the larger context of the NCAA, particularly Division I. Still, the domain's main point of concern and it's reason for existing is squarely I-AA (hence, the I-AA.com name.)

Yes, it would be great if I-AA as a sub-division were able to exist in splendid isolation, but that's just not the way things work. Because I-AA is 1/5 of the larger NCAA body, it's often necessary to keep a watchful eye on the opinions surrounding I-AA in the media and elsewhere. This is what I-AA.com does best. I-AA.com, I-AA.org and dozens of other websites serve to promote the cause of I-AA, though obviously each have their own methods of doing that.

Hey, you're entitled to your opinion about I-AA.com, but please at least be accurate. It's a unfair to accuse I-AA.com of not providing reference to current news articles. The last media articles linked on the site were dated 6/6/05. By contrast, the last AD/Conference press release linked on I-AA.org was dated 6/3/05. It's unreasonable to expect any I-AA website to be bustling with news at the start of June. For us I-AA junkies, things will pick up again soon enough. Hang in there. :smiley_wi

Lehigh Football Nation
June 8th, 2005, 09:58 AM
While I never said "a joke" I did question why a site named that would have so much non I-AA coverage. I also questioned his latest article. As for the most recent links at his site, myself and others post links here. I-AA.org won't vouch for newspaper article accuracy or intent so it doesn't run links.

Let's get something straight - I-AA.com isn't a waste of a domain name and/or "a joke". Otto is a guy who is passionate about I-AA and has done more than a lot of people here to promote I-AA and make sure that I-AA gets a fair shake. His website's news feed is invaluable to I-AA fans. I don't go there as often as AGS or I-AA.org, but I do have the site bookmarked.

I don't think it's helpful to get in a pissing contest to say which website is worthwhile and not worthwhile. Both sites are what they are, and (perhaps unconciously) complement each other perfectly.

As for the op-ed on I-AA.com on the "death of I-AA", I like many others feel like it's a bit over-the-top. However, Otto has a strong feeling about the issue and has posted a news item on his blog saying so. It's no different when I go on my blog and complain about I-AA playoff seeding, the latest Sports Network poll or that Lafayette stinks. It's opinion.

Otto feels the diminishing of standards will cause a I-AA exodus. It's his opinion that it will cause schools to make the jump. A lot of us disagree. That's what this is really about. Just because he has a strong opinion about it (and I disagree with him) doesn't mean it's a waste of a domain name.

henfan
June 8th, 2005, 10:55 AM
I did question why a site named that would have so much non I-AA coverage.

The site is probably named I-AA.com because it was the first website with a comprehensive focus on I-AA and remains true to that idea. Most readers of I-AA.com are aware that the intent of the site is to examine the sub-division in the larger context of the NCAA, rather than a more narrow focus of just I-AA. That often requires paying close attention to happenings in I-A, D-II and D-III.

I'd agree with Lehigh Football Nation. Disagree or criticize Fad's opinions if you like, just don't diminish his passion and the great work that he continues to do for I-AA under the guise of I-AA.com.

yomama
June 8th, 2005, 11:37 AM
I'm sure he's grateful for all the traffic this thread has sent to his website.

That address again: www.i-aa.com

CollegeObserver
June 8th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Both sites, be it .org or .com, offer worthwhile information, and a healthy dose of opinion.

Henfan has made it abundantly clear why the .com site covers I-A topics in addition to I-AA topics. It would probably have been best to not start these threads, but we all make an occassional silly comment or post on a website, even administrators and website owners.

Let's put this "to bed".

henfan
June 8th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Again, since you were replying to me, I didn't do what you said.

I didn't imply otherwise and wasn't responding only to you with my entire last post, Ralph.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 8th, 2005, 12:36 PM
For the record, since you were replying to me, I didn't say joke, waste or engage in a pissing contest. If there is a blog then please post a link. Check your PM LFN.

Ralph, I got your PM. I wanted to say that my comments really weren't directed at your posting or anything you said. It more was directed towards the initial post by Retro calling Otto's website a waste of domain space. I didn't mean for it to sound like you were insulting Otto's site. "Pissing contest" is MY term, (c) Lehigh Football Nation's, for the record :) Ralph didn't really say anything in regards to Otto's site.

My only point is Otto can say what he wants. I don't happen to agree with him on his last op-ed piece on his website, but he can say what he wants on his website.

Now I'm officially

:deadhorse

so now maybe I will go over to the topic where it's being speculated that Lehigh could maybe someday go to I-A... ummm... NOT.

Retro
June 8th, 2005, 03:27 PM
First off, i don't question Otto's passion.. I'm speaking of the website itself.. If your going to use the doman he uses, then that should be the majority of the content, not I-A, not NFL, not other sports... You also have to look at what exactly his ultimate goal for the site is? Is it promoting I-AA, predicted the demise of I-AA or making a quick buck?..

He can change the name to something more appropriate if he wanted, but the simple fact is, when someone goes to that site they expect a site devoted to I-AA football and it just isn't that.... I don't expect many Delware fans to agree with me for obvious reasons.. Again, i don't question the man's passion, but the sites purpose... Maybe i was a little harsh, but the site needs an overhaul and some fresh input.

henfan
June 8th, 2005, 04:25 PM
If your going to use the doman he uses, then that should be the majority of the content, not I-A, not NFL, not other sports...

Retro, a majority of the content on I-AA.com has always been I-AA related. I'm not sure what you're referring to. An overwhelming majority of news links and nearly all of the pages on the site are directly related to I-AA.

Again, in it's 8 years or so of existance, I-AA.com has never completely ignored news and opinion about I-A, I-AAA, D-II, D-III or the NFL, especially when it has relevance to I-AA. If you came to that page a virgin, expecting something more along the lines of I-AA.org, you'd have known after one visit that's not what you were going to get. And, of course, you can certainly choose which stories you want to filter and which you want to read... or whether to visit the site at all.

Is it promoting I-AA, predicted the demise of I-AA or making a quick buck?

The title of the first page linked in I-AA.com's left navagation bar titled "Defending I-AA" should tell you where I-AA.com and Fad's allegiance lies, if the ensuing pages ("I-AA Nation" and "I-AA Pride") don't.

I'm sure Fad has become famously wealthy in the last 3 days for expressing an apparently unpopular opinion about the future of I-AA. Probably pulling in the big duckies like Retro-Sports does from the sale of those I-AA mini helmets. :rolleyes: To my eyes, the quick buck comment makes it appear that you have some personal issue with Fad.

Retro
June 8th, 2005, 05:00 PM
ok, you've convinced me.. I was wrong about the site.. :bang: It's a decent site... Maybe i'm spoiled with the information from I-AA.org overall.. Again i don't have an personal issue with him at all.. Never spoken with him that i can recall.

ccujacket
June 8th, 2005, 05:15 PM
I'd say I read I-AA.net the most.

Tod
June 8th, 2005, 10:05 PM
I-AA.mil :nod: