PDA

View Full Version : WCU to breakout 1983 style helmets vs Furman Nov 16

catamount man
May 23rd, 2013, 07:41 PM
A former football player has stated the WCU football team, to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the 1983 CATS which finished national runners-up, will break out the 1983 logos vs Furman this year. Should be fun. WCU and Furman had 2 memorable games in 1983. A tie in Cullowhee and then the national semifinal in Greenville, won by WCU 14-7. After the game, the WCU contigent tore down one of the goalposts in Paladin stadium. OL FU has never forgiven them.xthumbsupx GO CATS!

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/wcar/galleries/Football_Helmet_Evolution/thecatsgoldweb-lg.jpg

skinny_uncle
May 23rd, 2013, 07:45 PM
1983 was a good year.
xnodx

catamount man
May 23rd, 2013, 07:51 PM
1983 was a good year.
xnodx

Except for Dec 17th.xbawlingx

Go...gate
May 23rd, 2013, 08:05 PM
Beat good teams from Colgate and Holy Cross to get to the Semifinals.

CID1990
May 23rd, 2013, 08:10 PM
Break out a 1983 style win and I'll be impressed.

Sent from the center of the universe.

skinny_uncle
May 23rd, 2013, 08:25 PM
Except for Dec 17th.xbawlingx

That would be a matter of perspective.

Sir William
May 23rd, 2013, 08:35 PM
WCU and Furman had 2 memorable games in 1983. A tie in Cullowhee and then the national semifinal in Greenville, won by WCU 14-7. After the game, the WCU contigent tore down one of the goalposts in Paladin stadium. OL FU has never forgiven them.

Nor have I ;)...that semifinal game was a heartbreaker! xoopsx

Looking forward to seeing those helmets!

catamount man
May 24th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Nor have I ;)...that semifinal game was a heartbreaker! xoopsx

Looking forward to seeing those helmets!

A Cat alum, and good friend of mine, who lives near Marion, NC still has that 1983 semifinal game on video. So awesome to see it for the 1st time in years. CBS calling a WCU-Furman game. That was good exposure for both schools. I miss the ole I-AA playoffs on CBS.

appsfan
May 24th, 2013, 09:29 PM
This makes me think of a local guy (Asheboro, NC), Jimmie Luther who was on that team. He died a few weeks ago, RIP.

Saint3333
May 24th, 2013, 10:19 PM
A Cat alum, and good friend of mine, who lives near Marion, NC still has that 1983 semifinal game on video. So awesome to see it for the 1st time in years. CBS calling a WCU-Furman game. That was good exposure for both schools. I miss the ole I-AA playoffs on CBS.

Funny to think the coverage I-AA had initially. App/WCU was the second ever televised game on ESPN.

AppMan
May 24th, 2013, 10:19 PM
A former football player has stated the WCU football team, to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the 1983 CATS which finished national runners-up, will break out the 1983 logos vs Furman this year. Should be fun. WCU and Furman had 2 memorable games in 1983. A tie in Cullowhee and then the national semifinal in Greenville, won by WCU 14-7. After the game, the WCU contigent tore down one of the goalposts in Paladin stadium. OL FU has never forgiven them.xthumbsupx GO CATS!

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/wcar/galleries/Football_Helmet_Evolution/thecatsgoldweb-lg.jpg

Understand there will be a reunion of the team that day as well.

catamount man
May 25th, 2013, 07:35 AM
Funny to think the coverage I-AA had initially. App/WCU was the second ever televised game on ESPN.

Yep, 1979. In 1978, ABC televised the game from Cullowhee as part of the regional packages on Saturday. ABC also called the WCU-SIU champ.game. It was awesome listening to Keith Jackson and Frank Broyles talk about the CATS. Keith even said, talking about both teams defenses, "Frank we got a couple of teams here on defense that'll paint your helmet!" lol!

catamount man
May 25th, 2013, 07:50 AM
Understand there will be a reunion of the team that day as well.

Possibly. I do know that at HC vs Elon, any and all former letterwinners from all sports are invited for a big "homecoming" of their own. Started this last year vs GSU at HC and attendance was sweet. Chancellor Belcher and our AD Randy Eaton are BIG, BIG, BIG into reaching out to former CATS and repairing old wounds from the previous 25 years. Previous leadership didn't give one care about former athletes. In fact, it's a "well known secret" that Wagner and his staff told a few former players that they were "not wanted".

In 2010 on Hall of Fame day, one of the former CATS football players who was being inducted and I were sharing a tailgate conversation. He point blank asked me, concerning Wagner, "What do you think of this guy?" Told him that I and others were very let down by him and his staff after all these promises and their attitudes towards former players. He was in total agreement.

Glad we have leaders who now know what a successful sports program will do for the university. GO CATS!

Sader87
May 25th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Here's a synopsis/box-score of that '83 game at Fitton.

http://goholycross.com/sports/m-footbl/archive_files/postseason.pdf

From the Holy Cross excuse dept: we were still reeling from the BC game, Fenerty wasn't close to 100% and Carter never should have punted inside WCU territory, which resulted in a blocked punt/TD for WCU changing the momentum of the game.

All still, congrats to the '83 Cats.