PDA

View Full Version : Talented College Football Families: Does FCS have any?

bonarae
May 23rd, 2013, 05:43 PM
Although the slideshow below only lists at FBS families (i.e. generations or groups of brothers or a combination of both), that left me thinking... do we have such families also at the FCS level?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1648980-power-ranking-the-most-talented-college-football-families

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 23rd, 2013, 05:49 PM
John and Brett Veach came to mind. One went to Delaware and the other to Princeton. John is the one that's about the same age as me iirc. Brett was a scout for the Philadelphia Eagles for a number of years. Both were HS stars at Mt. Carmel HS in PA.

Silenoz
May 23rd, 2013, 05:52 PM
Bobby and Timmy Hauck. Timmy ended Michael Irvin's career and Bobby... played track or something. And lost championships.

Uncle Rico's Clan
May 23rd, 2013, 05:57 PM
Montana also has the Lebsock's. I think we are currently on the third generation of Lebsock playing for the Grizzlies and have had a total of five or six of them.

Sader87
May 23rd, 2013, 06:07 PM
Holy Cross had the McGovern brothers. Jack was a very good O-lineman in the late 70's, Bill was an All-East safety in the early 80's (was BC's D-Coordinator the last few years), Rob was a very good LB in the mid/late 80's (briefly with the Pats)....another brother Jim (not a HC alum) has played on the PGA Tour.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 23rd, 2013, 06:10 PM
Dan & Dave Decoite and actually several other brother combo's through the glory years like Manzanarez etc. Currently have Tripp who is the son of another great LB back in the Late 80's by the name of Bryan...dude was also an animal like his boy is.

Lebsock is the most prolific family that I know of though because there is a ****load of them and they are all very talented FB players.

Now that I think about it Montana is very, very strong on the family aspect as far as coming here and continuing what brothers or fathers have started. There are many that I haven't mentioned.

Legacy.

Professor Chaos
May 23rd, 2013, 06:15 PM
Bob and Bobby Babich..... wait, nevermind.

DFW HOYA
May 23rd, 2013, 06:41 PM
I think every school has some story of legacy and/or brothers that have played football.

At Georgetown, there was the Paulus family of Syracuse: six brothers. The family drove down for nearly every home game and four went to Georgetown over a ten year period: David '02, Matt '04, Dan, '05, and Chris '07.

The next in line was arguably the most talented, Greg, a two sport All-America (QB, PG) at CBA in Syracuse. He passed on an offer to play two sports at Georgetown and signed with Duke instead for basketball. The youngest, Mike, also steered clear of Georgetown for North Carolina and finished as a QB at W&M.

Greg was among a number of major prospects in that period that could have helped elevate the Georgetown program to national standing, and the Hoyas didn't get any of them. Lots of reasons, of course, but for the four brothers that did attend, they were each good players that gave it their all.

Eaglesrus
May 23rd, 2013, 06:56 PM
GA Southern had brothers Monty and Everett Sharpe back in the 80s. Monty started for 4 years and was on the first two championship teams. Everett was a linebacker on the '86 and '89 (undefeated) championship teams. They are also cousins of Sterling and Shannon Sharpe.

skinny_uncle
May 23rd, 2013, 07:57 PM
The Salukis wil have the Agnew brothers next year. Malcolm Agnew from Oregon State has transferred to SIU to join his brother Ray who is a fullback.

Oldschool Colonel
May 23rd, 2013, 07:59 PM
Nicholls has some famous Dads. I hope the Sons can live up to their standards!
Beaux and Bobby Hebert
Dalton Jr. and Dalton Hilliard
Tuscani and Cedrick Figaro

813Jag
May 23rd, 2013, 08:35 PM
There was Fred and Steve McNair both QBs at Alcorn.

swaghook
May 23rd, 2013, 08:46 PM
Bob and Bobby Babich..... wait, nevermind.

NDSU did have several Kittelson's from the Velva, ND area on the team.

Franks Tanks
May 23rd, 2013, 09:17 PM
John and Brett Veach came to mind. One went to Delaware and the other to Princeton. John is the one that's about the same age as me iirc. Brett was a scout for the Philadelphia Eagles for a number of years. Both were HS stars at Mt. Carmel HS in PA.

The oldest Veach brother played at Lafayette. I can't remember his first name at the moment.

bonarae
May 23rd, 2013, 10:04 PM
There was Fred and Steve McNair both QBs at Alcorn.

Don't forget Jason, Steve's nephew, who played RB at Tennessee-Martin (correct me if I'm wrong).

Go Green
May 24th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Dartmouth has had a number of brothers throughout the years. Currently, we're enjoying the services of the McManus brothers.

Tim graduated two years ago. Made first team All-Ivy as a junior, but missed most of his senior year to concussions. Also was a captain

Ryan will be a junior next year. Made second-team All-Ivy also as a receiver and is expected to be the primary target for Dayln Williams this fall and next.

Danny will be an incoming freshman and is supposed to be the best of the three. He is expected to play defensive back and could see time immediately given that one of our starting corners tore his ACL in spring practice.

Probably not as accomplished as the Garrett brothers at Columbia/Princeton. But not too shabby either.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 24th, 2013, 08:52 AM
At Lehigh, Colin Newtown was an all-PL linebacker, and his brother, DL Tim Newton, is poised to break out this year, his junior year.

wapiti
May 24th, 2013, 09:03 AM
I believe both Montana D1 schools have a huge family legacy with them.
It adds to the rivalry, especially when the families know each other.

Dan & Dave Decoite and actually several other brother combo's through the glory years like Manzanarez etc. Currently have Tripp who is the son of another great LB back in the Late 80's by the name of Bryan...dude was also an animal like his boy is.

Lebsock is the most prolific family that I know of though because there is a ****load of them and they are all very talented FB players.

Now that I think about it Montana is very, very strong on the family aspect as far as coming here and continuing what brothers or fathers have started. There are many that I haven't mentioned.

Legacy.

chattownmocs
May 24th, 2013, 09:13 AM
The Huesmans at Chattanooga.

Franks Tanks
May 24th, 2013, 09:16 AM
At Lehigh, Colin Newtown was an all-PL linebacker, and his brother, DL Tim Newton, is poised to break out this year, his junior year.

The Snyder Bros were pretty good at Lehigh as well. We also have the Gregorek brothers Brian and Mike. Brian at Lafayette at Mike at Lehigh at the same time.

Lafayette has had many brother combos, including 2 sets of twins a few years back. The Murphy's and the Bloom's.

ElonFirefighter
May 24th, 2013, 09:16 AM
The hamilton's at Elon... Oh wait you said talented

CrazyCat
May 24th, 2013, 09:20 AM

I know there are a bunch more but Timmer, Bignell, Dennehy, and Verlanic, are a few.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 24th, 2013, 09:22 AM

The Snyder's are still the best sibling duo at Lehigh in the last 30+ years.

MR. CHICKEN
May 24th, 2013, 10:27 AM
17737......THE MULHERNS...................AWK!

blueballs
May 24th, 2013, 11:47 AM
GA Southern had brothers Monty and Everett Sharpe back in the 80s. Monty started for 4 years and was on the first two championship teams. Everett was a linebacker on the '86 and '89 (undefeated) championship teams. They are also cousins of Sterling and Shannon Sharpe.

Don't forget Pat Douglas, who was Erk's first scholarship player, and his son John Douglas, who was a starter on defense the past two years for GSU.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 24th, 2013, 12:10 PM

Absolutely true.xthumbsupx

Nova09
May 24th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Well Howie Long is pretty good and played at Nova, and his sons were all quite successful at least at the college level, but Nova wasn't FCS at the time Howie played and his sons played FBS so I don't think we get any credit for that one.

In recent memory, brothers Ray and Ross Ventrone have come through the main line as DBs. Ray has been a Patriots special teamer for a while, Ross has had many chances on the Patriots practice squad and stars in a hilarious Kenny Mayne piece about the fickle life of a practice squad guy, getting cut and then a new contract all the time, often from the same team even on the same day. Ross also started his collegiate career at Pitt behind Darrell Revis, transferred to Nova cuz Ray had a good experience.

Nova09
May 24th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Another talented family, the Coopers. Charles played at Nova and son Bradley went on to star in a few feature films.

(ok, so Charles played basketball, not FCS football, and Bradley graduated from Georgetown, but only because he had a crush on a girl who went there so he transferred. he still cheers for nova)

Canyoncat
May 24th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Don't forget about the MSU Daly's. J Daly All American guard during the 1976 DII National Championship team captain, Bobby All American Linebacker team captain and Brad All Conference DE team captain.

clenz
May 24th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Mark Farley was a great linebacker at UNI in the 80s and is now the best coach in school history.

Son Jake signed with Kansas out of hs but transferred in last year and led the team in tackles from his backer spot

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

AmsterBison
May 24th, 2013, 01:58 PM
NDSU did have several Kittelson's from the Velva, ND area on the team.

That's the first family that came to mind for me too (Matt, Wade, Jayd, and Cody) - Tyler Gefroh, current NDSU linebacker, is cousins to them.

Cichy is another huge name for NDSU football. I think a father (Sid) and three sons (Nick, Mike, and Joe) played for NDSU. The dad and two of the sons are in the NDSU Hall of Fame. Joe is in the national College Football of Fame.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 24th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Mark Farley was a great linebacker at UNI in the 80s and is now the best coach in school history.

Son Jake signed with Kansas out of hs but transferred in last year and led the team in tackles from his backer spot

There are also a couple of brothers named Bill & Jeff that might fit the description as well.

They are both total dicks but still fit the mold.

eaglewraith
May 25th, 2013, 01:33 AM
The Huesmans at Chattanooga.

/thread

Ivytalk
May 25th, 2013, 07:22 AM
Harvard has had two sets of three brothers who played FB together for at least one year: the Biegas and the Moores.

katstrapper
May 25th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Current Sam Houston QB Brian Bell comes from a football family. His brother Shawn Bell was a record setting QB at Baylor and is now head coach at Magnolia West High in NW Houston. Their father is long time head coach at China Springs,Tx high school. Both played for their dad.

The Taylor twins, Darius and Darnell who just graduated this year. Both played all 4 yrs at SHSU.

clenz
May 25th, 2013, 09:26 AM
There are also a couple of brothers named Bill & Jeff that might fit the description as well.

They are both total dicks but still fit the mold.

True

Brad82
May 25th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Bob and Tom Ehrhardt URI QB's.

AmsterBison
May 25th, 2013, 08:39 PM
The Cichy family has been pretty good for NDSU. The father and three sons played at NDSU. Three of them are in the NDSU Hall of Fame, one of them is in the College Football Hall of Fame, and the Dad is in the High School Football Hall of Fame.

WeAreNorthDakota
May 26th, 2013, 09:32 AM
From last year's team for UND. Ian McGurran and his father, John, became the first father/son pair to be captains at UND. Ian started every game at center for four years.

HailSzczur
May 27th, 2013, 02:28 PM
Well Howie Long is pretty good and played at Nova, and his sons were all quite successful at least at the college level, but Nova wasn't FCS at the time Howie played and his sons played FBS so I don't think we get any credit for that one.

In recent memory, brothers Ray and Ross Ventrone have come through the main line as DBs. Ray has been a Patriots special teamer for a while, Ross has had many chances on the Patriots practice squad and stars in a hilarious Kenny Mayne piece about the fickle life of a practice squad guy, getting cut and then a new contract all the time, often from the same team even on the same day. Ross also started his collegiate career at Pitt behind Darrell Revis, transferred to Nova cuz Ray had a good experience.

Here's the video of Ross:
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7488713
Ray's now doing special teams with Cleveland, while Ross is back home in Pittsburgh

HailSzczur
May 27th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Best Villanova football family is easily the Gordons. They had 3 generations of QB's:

Andrew Gordon was QB for the '47 Great Lakes bowl team and the '49 Harbor Bowl Champions
Drew Gordon is 9th all time in passing yards at Villanova ('69-71')
Brett Gordon led the team to the 2002 FCS semi's against McNeese St, finishing either 1st or 2nd in most passing categories.

LU73
May 29th, 2013, 11:54 AM
The Snyder's are still the best sibling duo at Lehigh in the last 30+ years.

I recall a game where each scored a touchdown in the same game.

StorminASU
May 29th, 2013, 01:11 PM
http://qbforce.com/NEW2009/home.html

Greatest football family ever!

NSF
June 5th, 2013, 01:07 PM
A couple of brother pairs from the MVFC:
Colton Underwood (1st Team All American last season) Illinois State and Connor Underwood (All Newcomer and CSJ Freshman All America) Indiana State
Alex Sewall (3 time All MVFC and 2nd Team TSN All America in 2011) and Mark Sewall (All Newcomer and CSJ Freshman All America) Indiana State