PDA

View Full Version : Week 2: I-AA over I-A?

ThreadStopper
September 5th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Which 1-AA team has the best chance to pull off what MSU, Richmond and Portland did last week?

Tod
September 5th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Which 1-AA team has the best chance to pull off what MSU, Richmond and Portland did last week?

Don't know at the moment, but it's Portland State.

rcny46
September 5th, 2006, 11:13 PM

UMass - over Navy.

bkrownd
September 5th, 2006, 11:21 PM
My first thought was...who's playing Temple this week? ;) No I-AAs have the pleasure, tho.

I'll go on a limb and predict the WildCatzzzz will shock the football world in CHeecago. :D

peaster68
September 5th, 2006, 11:35 PM
Texas State over Kentucky

CatFan22
September 5th, 2006, 11:43 PM
I don't think there will be any upsets. I would like to think that UMass has the best chance, but I don't know a whole lot about them. And I am still not sold on TX St. this year, so I don't think it will happen at all this weekend.

unknown-swac
September 5th, 2006, 11:43 PM
I dont see em beating Kentucky. Their RB's had better beware of their LB Wesley Woodyard...not talked about much but will lay the wood.:eek:

Keeper
September 6th, 2006, 04:22 AM
Actually, Chattanooga over Memphis may be the best shot.
Tigers have one less day to prepare after a tough game
against Ole Miss. UC looked superb against Tech and may
be overlooked by Memphis who squashed the Mocs last few
times played. It is the closest rated on my crossover schedule.

Also Marshall had better beware of an improved Hofstra squad.

GoAgs!
September 6th, 2006, 04:41 AM
A lot of talk in the GWC forum about the UC Davis at TCU game.

The Ags defense looked pretty darn good against UNC and TCU did not look all too impressive at all in their victory over Baylor. Most fans are predicting a loss, but us Aggie fans are looking forward to the game and maybe hoping for some Stanford magic.

My reasons why UC Davis has a shot (be it very slim)
1. The Aggies are returning a lot of starters from the team that beat Stanford......Big Game Jon Grant returns to helm what should be a rather potent Aggie attack. While the super stellar defense from last year seems to be back.
2. IF...and this is a big IF...the Aggies can slow down the run, the game should be closer than most expect. Both TCUs QBs did not look very impressive in their win over Baylor. The Aggies had on of the top run defenses in the country last year.
3. TCU has lost to I-AA teams before and has also lost to a very bad SMU team....on top of that fact the UC Davis is game is sandwiched between TCU's local rival Baylor and their Texas football equal Texas Tech. With thier last game on Sunday night, TCU has very little time to prepare for what is a rather complex Aggie offense.
4. Aggie Pride- That's the X factor...

All in all, we should get beat...but these are my reasons for looking forward to what should be a fun game to watch.

Keeper
September 6th, 2006, 04:54 AM
Good points all re the Aggies, but consider this:
(don't mean to rain on ya) TCU is 3-times better
than Stanford and the Ags only had a short travel
and good support on the Farm I'm sure. When was the last
time they won a game as far as Fort Worth I'm wondering
(including the Dakotas). You got some history on that? :rotateh:

lucchesicourt
September 6th, 2006, 07:45 AM
Well, the last two games UCD played at the dome in ND we won (last year included). It's suppose to be difficult to win there, right?

ChickenMan
September 6th, 2006, 08:42 AM
UMass - over Navy.

UMass may have a shot... but I saw the Navy/ECU game last week and the Middie's triple option looked very good... as they rushed for over 400 yrds in their win over East Carolina. Navy also played the run tough... holding ECU to 75 yrds rushing. UMass has a good 'D'... but to beat the Navy I think they will have pass the ball very well and hope to create a few key turnovers.

AppGuy04
September 6th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Most likely possibilities:

UMass over Navy
Northern Arizona over Utah

blackfordpu
September 6th, 2006, 09:27 AM
How many times do I have to say it?

The Bearkats over Texas!:nod:

dbackjon
September 6th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Most likely possibilities:

UMass over Navy
Northern Arizona over Utah

If NAU can play like they did last Thursday, then we have a shot.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 6th, 2006, 09:47 AM
I like Chatty over Memphis. I think Utah is too tough for NAU, especially after playing so well last week. No way they sneak up on Utah, who is actually pretty good.

I'd also keep an eye on UC-Davis/TCU and Hofstra/Marshall.

I think UMass will have problems with Navy. Actually this will be a great test for Baylark and Coen to see if they can score effectively against a I-A defense.

Normally I'd like UNH over Northwestern, but I just see N'Western so fired up after their offseason (plus, with their new firey coach) that they won't sleepwalk over UNH.

douglasdmb
September 6th, 2006, 02:14 PM
TCU has lost to I-AA teams before and has also lost to a very bad SMU team

1.) That was TCU's ONLY loss all last season, they did beat Oklahoma in Norman (always impressive, regardless of who's playing QB).

2.) You have to throw out the records when TCU and SMU play each other, as that is a big rivalry game.

blukeys
September 6th, 2006, 02:19 PM
UMass may have a shot... but I saw the Navy/ECU game last week and the Middie's triple option looked very good... as they rushed for over 400 yrds in their win over East Carolina. Navy also played the run tough... holding ECU to 75 yrds rushing. UMass has a good 'D'... but to beat the Navy I think they will have pass the ball very well and hope to create a few key turnovers.

Agree with the above. On paper Umass has a good shot and are physical enough to match up with the Middies. However, they only have a week to prepare for Navy's very good option attack. Johnson keeps his teams from looking past I-AA teams.

I like UNH's chances. Santos and Ball can have career games against anyone. Why not Northwestern??

ucdtim17
September 6th, 2006, 02:22 PM
UCD has been to Texas something like 4 out of the past 5 years - there's probably no team that has traveled further in recent years than this group, thanks to the dearth of teams out here, the lack of a league, the transition, and poor home facility

JALMOND
September 6th, 2006, 04:07 PM

Portland is the Pilots and they don't play football.

JohnStOnge
September 6th, 2006, 06:42 PM
If we could just get Sun Belt teams to play top I-AAs! Seeing less and less of that though.

JohnStOnge
September 6th, 2006, 06:48 PM
After reading y'all's candidates, I'm looking at UC Davis at TCU. I was thinking today that that one could be very interesting. I think that there's a good chance that TCU doesn't have a great offense and that UC Davis has a great defense by I-AA standards. I think Davis has a shot.

AggiePride
September 6th, 2006, 07:56 PM
There are a few reasons on paper to keep an eye on Davis.

But in truth, the real reasons are not. Watch and see.

lucchesicourt
September 6th, 2006, 08:20 PM
UCD will need to cause turnovers and make few mistakes themselves to win this weeks game. If the D does this the Ags have a chance.

GeauxColonels
September 6th, 2006, 11:51 PM
OK, I'm SHOCKED that no one is mentioning Nicholls State VS Nebraska!!!

GoAgs72
September 7th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Didn't know about Nicholls State/Nebraska. What are your chances? Any predicted score? Nebraska's not what it used to be but must still be pretty good. For UC Davis/ TCU, I'll probably go with Chris Kelly - about 41 to 17 in TCU's favor, but we can always hope. Our defense against the run will keep us in the game but our somewhat inconsistent offense seems to be continuing from last year, especially if WR Tony Kays is too injured to play.

slycat
September 7th, 2006, 12:20 AM
i'll be a homer and say texas state over kentucky. i think that if we can get our secondary to cover their recievers we can win this game.

im not too worried about their RB our LBs can handle him.

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

blur2005
September 7th, 2006, 12:33 AM
I'm betting no I-AA upsets this week. The best chance in my mind is the Wildcats-Wildcats game. But I think New Hampshire falls in a high-scoring affair, only because they cannot stop Tyrell Sutton.

OL FU
September 7th, 2006, 06:47 AM
Go Flying Dutchman and/or Pride. :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

IaaScribe
September 7th, 2006, 07:22 AM
I'm tending to agree with the no upsets posters.

Navy is much better than people are giving them credit for. They'll handle UMass fairly easily.

Utah will handle NAU and probably blow them out just because playing I-As on consecutive weeks with I-AA depth is very difficult.

I'll admit, the UC Davis-TCU game intrigues me because of Davis' history and TCU's breaking in a freshman QB. Don't be fooled by the Baylor score. Baylor is a lot better than in recent years, kind of like Rutgers.

New Hampshire is an excellent team, but Northwestern is going to ride that Randy Walker emotional wave for a while. No way they lose the home opener.

Kentucky will beat Texas State by at least three TDs.

bkrownd
September 9th, 2006, 10:53 PM
I'll go on a limb and predict the WildCatzzzz will shock the football world in CHeecago. :D

Acknowledge my kick-assedness. :smiley_wi :bow: