PDA

View Full Version : JMU Might Use New RB And WR For Appalachian State Game

JMU Duke Dog
September 5th, 2006, 05:57 PM
James Madison's coach Mickey Matthews has said that JMU might be starting Eugene Holloman at running back and use All-American free safety Tony LeZotte at wide receiver in the upcoming game against Appalachian State this Saturday afternoon. Matthews is angry over the pathetic performances of JMU's offense against Bloomsburg especially the running backs and wide receivers. Things could get very interesting on Saturday to say the least.

Here was today's article from the Daily News-Record in Harrisonburg:
http://dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=6163&CHID=3

Tony To The Rescue
LeZotte May Play Receiver At Appalachian State
By Mike Barber

HARRISONBURG – James Madison’s football players began feeling the fallout from Saturday night’s lackluster victory over Division II Bloomsburg a day early.

The Dukes practiced Monday, normally their day off, and JMU coach Mickey Matthews announced a pair of key personnel moves as the team prepared for its Saturday matchup at reigning Division I-AA national champion Appalachian State.

"If you’re not making plays, you’re going to stand over by me," Matthews said Monday at his weekly press conference. "We’re going to give somebody else a chance."

(continued... (http://dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=6163&CHID=3))

GSUSpider
September 5th, 2006, 06:08 PM
what the heck is going on down there?:bang: xidiotx

JMU Duke Dog
September 5th, 2006, 06:11 PM
what the heck is going on down there?:bang: xidiotx

:dizzy:

After such a pathetic offensive performance, it is time to mix things up or get embarrassed big time at The Rock.

youwouldno
September 5th, 2006, 06:14 PM
I thought Banks and Fenner were the best RB combo in I-AA???

JMU Duke Dog
September 5th, 2006, 06:20 PM

Maybe in the past couple years, but 2006 is a new and different season.

youwouldno
September 5th, 2006, 07:47 PM
I was being a little sarcastic, sorry. JMU fans just talked so much about those guys-- and I've seen them, and they can play, no doubt.

So, I would have to think that the RBs aren't the problem. When you have proven guys like that, it seems much more likely to me that the O-line and others blockers aren't getting the job done.

So far as WRs, that may be a legit concern. I've never been all that impressed with JMU's receiving corps, to be honest. Probably the JMU coaching staff just needs to put more recruiting focus on that position. But playing LeZotte there??? I mean, might he get a little worn out playing on both sides of the ball?

AppGuy04
September 5th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Well, this could have one of 2 results:

1. It helps the offense shake out of it

or

2. The offense is worse

IMO, I don't think using a defensive player against App's DB's is such a good idea, and I think the later might be the result. I hope not, b/c I want this to be competitive.

JMU Duke Dog
September 5th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Tony LeZotte was recruited by JMU as a wide receiver. Maybe his experience from playing free safety can help him out on the offensive side. :eyebrow:

AppGuy04
September 5th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Tony LeZotte was recruited by JMU as a wide receiver. Maybe his experience from playing free safety can help him out on the offensive side. :eyebrow:

When was the last time he played WR? High School?

JMU Duke Dog
September 5th, 2006, 08:20 PM
When was the last time he played WR? High School?

You are correct but if LeZotte is better at wide receiver than our current guys then I support the decision to try him out there. I just wish everywhere here could have seen how pathetic the offense looked out there against Bloomsburg to see why the Dukes are so concerned, especially facing the defending national champions on the road.

AppGuy04
September 5th, 2006, 08:26 PM
You are correct but if LeZotte is better at wide receiver than our current guys then I support the decision to try him out there. I just wish everywhere here could have seen how pathetic the offense looked out there against Bloomsburg to see why the Dukes are so concerned.
I understand, but if this guy only has one week of practice before playing WR against the defending National Champion, that doesn't bold well for JMU. If it works, I'll be the first to call the JMU coach a genius, if it doesn't, then that desperation will look premature.

blur2005
September 5th, 2006, 09:23 PM
I figure Banks injury will prevent him from seeing any time this Saturday and with Fenner's poor play there had to be some changes. I'm not sure they're smart but might as well do it now and see what happens.

blukeys
September 5th, 2006, 09:36 PM

Yes that was the hype from the JMU crowd for the last 2 years. Give me one OMAR CUFF and you can keep your Banks and Fenner. Can You say WAAAAAAYYY OVERRRATTED!!!!:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

SoCon48
September 6th, 2006, 03:16 PM

Similarly, i believe Chad Nkang was a RB or FB in high school, now he's an all-american LB at Elon.

AppGuy04
September 6th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Similarly, i believe Chad Nkang was a RB or FB in high school, now he's an all-american LB at Elon.

Yes, but he has been there for a couple of years. I'm sure he wasn't thrown to the wolves after one game. He probably had an offseason to transition

rokamortis
September 6th, 2006, 04:01 PM
sounds like subterfuge to me.

Mr. C
September 6th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Chad Nkang was Elon's starter at FB as a freshman under Al Seagraves and moved to LB as a sophomore under Paul Hamilton.

Mickey Matthews migth be throwing a smoke screen at App State. You have to remember that Marshall used to do stuff like that when Mickey was up there. These are two staffs that have a very high level sense of competition with each other (and are also friends).

Mr. C
September 6th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Someone mentioned an injury to Banks? Didn't see anything in the notes about it. What is the deal?

Also, I'm not sure I'd want my All-American safety running pass routes in the vicinity of two hard-hitting safeties like Jeremy Wiggins and Corey Lynch (especially Wiggins). It would be devastating to the Duke defense to lose LeZotte and you are putting him at risk by using him as a WR against App State.

AppGuy04
September 6th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Would LeZotte play both ways? If not, isn't the JMU secondary in trouble?

DTSpider
September 6th, 2006, 04:59 PM
JMU..smoke screens....

No doubt about it. We all know that MM is prone to hyperbole & off-the-cuff comments. It's one thing we A10 fans have come to know & love. You just never know what he'll say & you know to take everything with a grain of salt.

SoCon48
September 6th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Chad Nkang was Elon's starter at FB as a freshman under Al Seagraves and moved to LB as a sophomore under Paul Hamilton.

Mickey Matthews migth be throwing a smoke screen at App State. You have to remember that Marshall used to do stuff like that when Mickey was up there. These are two staffs that have a very high level sense of competition with each other (and are also friends).

Chad Nkang was Elon's starter at FB as a freshman under Al Seagraves and moved to LB as a sophomore under Paul Hamilton

Hmm. Nkang is a strong strong candidate for the Buchanan Award at LB and Hamilton was said to be stupid. A few other programs need some stupid moves like that.

SoCon48
September 6th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Would LeZotte play both ways? If not, isn't the JMU secondary in trouble?

Well no, he may not play both ways if Wiggins or Lynch happen to draw a successful bead on him catching a pass.:eyebrow:

JMU Duke Dog
September 6th, 2006, 05:36 PM
To answer some questions...

Tony LeZotte would play both ways against Appalachian State as a FS and a WR. He would obviously not play on every down during the football game though.

Alvin Banks left the Bloomsburg game early due to hamstring spasms and came back to practice yesterday after sitting out on Monday.

September 6th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Uh, LeZotte will play where he is assigned and kick butt. He will be the highest heralded player on the field Saturday in Boone. Saying that App's DBs will hurt him is rather humorous. He may hurt them. :nod:

AppGuy04
September 6th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Uh, LeZotte will play where he is assigned and kick butt. He will be the highest heralded player on the field Saturday in Boone. Saying that App's DBs will hurt him is rather humorous. He may hurt them. :nod:

I think #44 might have something to say about that

Kiss My Apps
September 6th, 2006, 08:13 PM

: smh : : smh : : smh :

Wrong answer... if the "highest heralded player on the field" comes across the middle Saturday, #8 will decleat him.

Tribe4SF
September 6th, 2006, 08:25 PM
: smh : : smh : : smh :

Wrong answer... if the "highest heralded player on the field" comes across the middle Saturday, #8 will decleat him.

That's bush league punk talk. If there are any "decleaters" in the secondary (they are rare), odds are they'll be delivered by Tony Lezotte from his safety spot. Talking about one of the best players in I-AA like he's nothing just makes you look stupid.

Lezotte is unlikely to influence this game at WR. Mickey is frustrated after last weeks subpar performance. He can't shut up when he's happy, so no surprise he's popping a vein this week.

Umass74
September 6th, 2006, 08:45 PM
LeZotte is an All-American. I don't see why he could not play (some) at WR as well as FS.

As several people here have already said Matthews is always good for a colorful quote. He may not be serious.

If he is serious, then that does not speak well for the JMU receiving corps...

Kiss My Apps
September 6th, 2006, 09:01 PM
That's bush league punk talk. If there are any "decleaters" in the secondary (they are rare), odds are they'll be delivered by Tony Lezotte from his safety spot. Talking about one of the best players in I-AA like he's nothing just makes you look stupid.

Never said he was nothing... I've never seen him play but I have no doubt he is an excellent talent. Regardless, he isn't hurting anyone from the WR position, which was the post I was replying to.

Wow, being called a bush league punk and stupid all for some simple pre-game smack by some dork who doesn't have a dog in the fight...

MR. CHICKEN
September 6th, 2006, 09:05 PM
MICKEY...IS SETTIN' DUH TRAP...FO' DUH MOUSEKETEERS........HE'LL GO WHIFF DUH SENIORS..(HEALTH PERMITTIN')......AN' EVEN IFIN' ALVIN...IS DOIN' PINE...........FENNER & HOLLOMAN.....MIGHT JES' BE DUH TICKET.........USIN' TONY...AT WIDEOUT...ISN'T UNIQUE......JES' ASK DEON SANDERS..........DUH DOOKIES GROUND GAME...PUT AWAY DUH GRIZ.....AN' IT CAN STAND UP TA APPALACHIAN.......(ALL-DOUGH..APPY FACES TOUGH RUNNIN' GAMES..... FURMAN....GSU....YADDA YADDA)........RASCATI WON'T MAKE ANY MISCUES..........SMART AS OURAH ANDY HALL.....AH'M LEANIN' TOWARDS MADISON........AS DUH BIG A'S.........LEFT IT ALL AT STATE LAST WEEK...........MADISON'S POOR SHOWIN'......IS UH WAKE-UP CALL.......FORMER CHAMPS...JES' CAN'T SHOW UP......BUT GOTTA PREFORM.................A-10 HOMERS......RIDE DUH DAWGS.........(AGS)........:hyped:.......BRAWK!

JMU Duke Dog
September 6th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Thank you for the kind sentiments Mr. Chicken! :bow:

I still think Appalachian State will win this game, but now I really want to see Tony LeZotte score an offensive touchdown while being covered by both of the Mountaineers' coveted cornerbacks. :nod:

Whether what Coach Matthews has said in recent days is true or not, at least we can always count on him for providing us some entertainment! :rotateh:

Tribe4SF
September 6th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Never said he was nothing... I've never seen him play but I have no doubt he is an excellent talent. Regardless, he isn't hurting anyone from the WR position, which was the post I was replying to.

Wow, being called a bush league punk and stupid all for some simple pre-game smack by some dork who doesn't have a dog in the fight...

We have a smack board for that. Take it there.

Kiss My Apps
September 6th, 2006, 09:18 PM
I still think Appalachian State will win this game, but now I really want to see Tony LeZotte score an offensive touchdown while being covered by both of the Mountaineers' coveted cornerbacks. :nod:

Both of the Mountaineer safeties are all-americans, not the cornerbacks.

Kiss My Apps
September 6th, 2006, 09:20 PM
We have a smack board for that. Take it there.

Tell your moderator, he is contributing.

JMU Duke Dog
September 6th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Both of the Mountaineer safeties are all-americans, not the cornerbacks.

:o Just get a touchdown on whatever they are! After all, the Dukes will need all the points they can muster!

JMU Duke Dog
September 6th, 2006, 09:23 PM

Ralph is just voicing his opinion on the players.

Tribe4SF
September 6th, 2006, 09:24 PM

He's not a moderator, he's the boss!!!:D

JMU Duke Dog
September 6th, 2006, 09:27 PM
I am starting to like W&M people now. Maybe it is due to my younger brother now being part of the Tribe. :eyebrow:

Kiss My Apps
September 6th, 2006, 09:28 PM
At your request, the smack thread is open.

MR. CHICKEN
September 6th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Thank you for the kind sentiments Mr. Chicken! :bow:

Whether what Coach Matthews has said in recent days is true or not, at least we can always count on him for providing us some entertainment! :rotateh:

OTTO FAD......I-AA GURU......PER DUH WDEL-1150 AM...RADIO SHOW...MONDAY EVENIN'....IS CHOOSIN' DUH DAWGS....AN' IFIN' DAT AIN'T CRAZY 'NUFF... LAD.....HE'S GOIN' WHIFF HOFSTRA.......TA ROPE DUH HERD!........OTTO...GIVE DUH "BIG BIRD"...UH SIP O' DAT....PUNCH!xprost2x

sidebar:.....MICKEY KNOWS DUH SOGONE......DID TIME....AT DUH HUNTINGTON PRISON!

Linehawg
September 6th, 2006, 10:05 PM
...if you're giving Mickey any points for smokescreens here. He's legitimately hacked and is a volatile personality. His players know it, coaches know it, and those of us in Harrisonburg know it. This is NOT the team of two years ago. Chris Malone is NOT Curt Newsome (OL Coaches) and this line has yet to even begin playing together. I know I wasn't the only one who was NOT surprised when JMU wasn't in the top 25 of the coaches poll. Tony Lazotte, Akeem Jordan, Banks & Fenner notwithstanding, this team is too thin and too inexperienced across he roster to do much of anything this year. If they stay within 3 TDs of App State, I'll be impressed.

JMU Duke Dog
September 6th, 2006, 10:12 PM
...if you're giving Mickey any points for smokescreens here. He's legitimately hacked and is a volatile personality. His players know it, coaches know it, and those of us in Harrisonburg know it. This is NOT the team of two years ago. Chris Malone is NOT Curt Newsome (OL Coaches) and this line has yet to even begin playing together. I know I wasn't the only one who was NOT surprised when JMU wasn't in the top 25 of the coaches poll. Tony Lazotte, Akeem Jordan, Banks & Fenner notwithstanding, this team is too thin and too inexperienced across he roster to do much of anything this year. If they stay within 3 TDs of App State, I'll be impressed.

I knew Linehawg of all people would be elated with how poorly JMU performed against Bloomsburg. You must have given up on this season's installment of VMI football so you will once again now spend your time hating on JMU (based on your post history). I personally am still skeptical of this 2006 JMU football squad; however, VMI fans should worry about the Keydets' own program first. No matter how bad JMU is this season, you all will experience a loss to the pathetic Dukes on September 30. Also, what coaches poll are you talking about? Both the AGS and Sports Network polls have JMU ranked in the top 25.

jmufootball2
September 6th, 2006, 10:13 PM
who is this guy ^^^

MR. CHICKEN
September 6th, 2006, 10:14 PM
OINKEE........JMU......HAS HAD UH REVOLVIN' DOOR...DIS SUMMER...WHIFF I-A TRANSFERS....AN' IS CONSTANTLY COMPETEIN' WHIFF DELAWARE......FO' DUH CREAM O' DUH CROP.........THIN?

MR. CHICKEN
September 6th, 2006, 10:21 PM
DUH MADISON...vs....MOUSEKETEER GAME.........IS 'BOUT....DUH 3-4 TEAM SOGONE CONFERENCE.......AGIN' DUH 11 OUTTA 12....A-10 LEAGUE.....ER...UH...UMM....BRAWK!

JMU2004
September 6th, 2006, 10:27 PM

lol, this rings of jealousy SO BADLY.......so many errors, and so biased

Linehawg
September 6th, 2006, 10:42 PM
I knew Linehawg of all people would be elated with how poorly JMU performed against Bloomsburg. You must have given up on this season's installment of VMI football so you will once again now spend your time hating on JMU (based on your post history). I personally am still skeptical of this 2006 JMU football squad; however, VMI fans should worry about the Keydets' own program first. No matter how bad JMU is this season, you all will experience a loss to the pathetic Dukes on September 30. Also, what coaches poll are you talking about? Both the AGS and Sports Network polls have JMU ranked in the top 25.

1. It was the Sports Illustrated D-1AA Coaches poll - got to go back a few pages to find the discussion or link to http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/polls/diviaacoaches/
Maybe the coaches themselves know Mickey better than the talking heads do?

2. Not "elated" just not as shocked as everyone else.

3. You and I are "skeptical" for all the same reasons. I say that in observing you didn't actually disagree with the substance of what I wrote and chose instead to attack the messanger. The difference is you have more faith in Matthews than I've ever had. I had to live here through his miserbale coaching, arrogant press responses, and nearly getting fired just a few years ago and firmly believe he's simply fallen back into old habits after a temporary peak. We'll let the results speak for themselves.

4. I'm sure Mickey and all the players are counting on sleepy little VMI as an automatic gimme just like they did Coastal last year and were clearly doing with Bloomsberg. Please continue to dismiss, discount, and ignore Coach Reid and the new staff in Lexington. I'm sure they wouldn't want it any other way.xcoffeex

Linehawg
September 6th, 2006, 10:52 PM
lol, this rings of jealousy SO BADLY.......so many errors, and so biased

Jealousy? Hardly. 98% of the student wusses at JMU wouldn't last a week at VMI.

Errors? Surely, you can be more articulate than that?

Biased? Yep, guilty as charged.

September 7th, 2006, 03:37 AM
1. It was the Sports Illustrated D-1AA Coaches poll - got to go back a few pages to find the discussion or link to http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/polls/diviaacoaches/
Maybe the coaches themselves know Mickey better than the talking heads do?...Sir, that is last year's coaches poll they have on their page. The new one is due later this week.

September 7th, 2006, 03:44 AM
Tell your moderator, he is contributing.1. I am not a mod.
2. Tony LeZotte has been all-american since he first stepped on the field as a freshman.
3. The fact that you have not seen him play though JMU won the I-AA playoffs in 2004 speaks volumes about your expertise.
4. I am not predicting anything but that LeZotte will not be "punked" on the field.

th0m
September 7th, 2006, 04:08 AM
All I'm gonna say on the matter is, I can't wait for this game to start!!!!

Kiss My Apps
September 7th, 2006, 06:02 AM
3. The fact that you have not seen him play though JMU won the I-AA playoffs in 2004 speaks volumes about your expertise.

I've seen JMU play twice (2004 Champ game and 2005 Hofstra game). Never claimed to be an expert on their roster or anyone else's roster, I'll leave that to you "gurus".

Kiss My Apps
September 7th, 2006, 06:08 AM
4. I am not predicting anything but that LeZotte will not be "punked" on the field.

He may hurt them. :nod:

:eyebrow:

JMU Duke Dog
September 7th, 2006, 07:10 AM
After seeing today's edition of the Daily News-Record in Harrisonburg, it appears that Holloman will definitely play at RB and LeZotte will definitely play at WR against Appalachian State this weekend.

http://dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=6207&CHID=3

Senior tailback Alvin Banks, who left Saturday’s season-opening 14-3 win over Division II Bloomsburg in the second quarter with hamstring spasms, won’t play this Saturday against Appalachian State, James Madison football coach Mickey Matthews said Wednesday. That means Highland (Kan.) Community College transfer Eugene Holloman, who Matthews had already announced would forego his redshirt year and play Saturday, will split carries with senior Maurice Fenner. Matthews wouldn’t say which player would start.
http://dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=6210&CHID=3

Also Wednesday, Matthews reiterated that I-AA All-American safety Tony LeZotte will play some snaps on offense Saturday at wide receiver.

Kiss My Apps
September 7th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Whats the scoop on Holloman? How did he perform in your spring game or fall scrimmages?

SoCon48
September 7th, 2006, 08:13 AM
DUH MADISON...vs....MOUSEKETEER GAME.........IS 'BOUT....DUH 3-4 TEAM SOGONE CONFERENCE.......AGIN' DUH 11 OUTTA 12....A-10 LEAGUE.....ER...UH...UMM....BRAWK!

You guys really believe that stuff about the 11/12 vs the 3/4. I take it Towson is the 12 since they gave teams some point totals of 62, 56, 44, 48, and 55 last year. Very generous. Our cellar dwellers would have loved to had them in the conf last year.

Now Saturday should give us some clues since its one of the few times one of our better programs matches up with one of the A-10's better ones.

September 7th, 2006, 08:19 AM
... I've never seen him play...
I've seen JMU play twice (2004 Champ game and 2005 Hofstra game). Never claimed to be an expert on their roster or anyone else's roster, I'll leave that to you "gurus".xlolx How can you claim to have seen JMU play without seeing Tony LeZotte? :eek:

Tribe4SF
September 7th, 2006, 09:01 AM
You guys really believe that stuff about the 11/12 vs the 3/4. I take it Towson is the 12 since they gave teams some point totals of 62, 56, 44, 48, and 55 last year. Very generous. Our cellar dwellers would have loved to had them in the conf last year.
Now Saturday should give us some clues since its one of the few times one of our better programs matches up with one of the A-10's better ones.

Elon gets a look at Towson this week. They played in '04 and Towson won 34-13. Towson was 0-8 in the A-10 that year.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 7th, 2006, 09:04 AM
For those of you not at the Bloomsburg game, our offensive line was pushing guys 3-4 yards downfield on someplays, yet the RBs weren't getting it done. Then, on 3rd and short, we always ran and never tried passing for the 1st down. I honestly think MM thought we'd just mow over them, and didn't believe his eyes the entire game.

I have heard people on our boards saying that Holloman looked great in the Spring game / Scrimmage. Our depth at skill positions is superb for this level of football. I would be surprised to see much of Lezotte. Maybe on third downs for a decoy or something.

What worries me the most is the inexperience of our D-backs. I think this is where we can really get taken to town. Trey Elder has the ability to make us pay, but we also have the ability to create havoc on him from our D-line (The most impressive unit last week).

I think this game, as most games, will come down to who makes fewer mistakes. The TO margin will be the story in the end. :nod:

th0m
September 7th, 2006, 09:05 AM

Towson actually had a better season than many of us expected, you conviently leave out that THEY put up 40 against Villanova and 35 against Delaware, both wins.

Elon was just about as generous as Towson in that aspect, and they didn't even win a conference game.

We'll see who is a better 'cellar dweller' this weekend, as Towson and Elon square off 90 minutes before ASU and JMU do.

youwouldno
September 7th, 2006, 09:11 AM
I've seen JMU play, and of course App St (several times in person the last couple years, twice with JMU). I think Lynch is clearly better than LeZotte, not that I'm a pro scout. JMU runs an interesting defense and LeZotte definitely excels against the run, but for a FS he doesn't make many plays on the ball.

Playing him 'a few snaps' at WR just sounds like MM is trying to confuse App St, but I don't think it matters. What does matter for the Dukes is their running game, because without it they're going to get whooped.

SoCon48
September 7th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Towson actually had a better season than many of us expected, you conviently leave out that THEY put up 40 against Villanova and 35 against Delaware, both wins.

Elon was just about as generous as Towson in that aspect, and they didn't even win a conference game.

We'll see who is a better 'cellar dweller' this weekend, as Towson and Elon square off 90 minutes before ASU and JMU do.

Didn't mean to set you off. All I was saying was that the bottom of the SoCon in a given year is not much worse, if any, than the bottom of the A-10 in spite of the prevailing thoughts to the contrary eminating from the press and fans.Seldom does the top meet the top and the true bottom meet the bottom to provide evidence to prove or disprove.

SoCon48
September 7th, 2006, 09:24 AM
Elon gets a look at Towson this week. They played in '04 and Towson won 34-13. Towson was 0-8 in the A-10 that year.
Elon has seldom won more than a conf game or two themselves. They won NONE last year.

jmuroller
September 7th, 2006, 10:17 AM
I've seen JMU play, and of course App St (several times in person the last couple years, twice with JMU). I think Lynch is clearly better than LeZotte, not that I'm a pro scout. JMU runs an interesting defense and LeZotte definitely excels against the run, but for a FS he doesn't make many plays on the ball.

Playing him 'a few snaps' at WR just sounds like MM is trying to confuse App St, but I don't think it matters. What does matter for the Dukes is their running game, because without it they're going to get whooped.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

That is laughable. It's not even close...I watched the Nat'l Championship Game last year, along with the playoff games on TV and Lynch doesn't even compare to LeZotte. He is a good player, but not in LeZotte's league.

youwouldno
September 7th, 2006, 10:26 AM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

That is laughable. It's not even close...I watched the Nat'l Championship Game last year, along with the playoff games on TV and Lynch doesn't even compare to LeZotte. He is a good player, but not in LeZotte's league.

I'm sure you're not biased. I hate both teams. But in any case, I doubt you're going to enjoy this weekend's game so much. Even if LeZotte was the best football player in the history of the world, it wouldn't be enough for JMU to take App St.

SoCon48
September 7th, 2006, 10:41 AM

We'll have to wait and see. Considering much of Lynch's performance and stats came in 2 games vs I-A's last year as well as 4 play-off teams, he may just be contrary to your opinion, be in LeZotte's league. Maybe not as good as LZ, but in the same league.

DB_Atlantic10
September 7th, 2006, 12:16 PM
At this point does it really matter.. I doubt if the game will come down to both teams play at Safety...

th0m
September 7th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Yeah, but TleZ will also play at WR, remember ;)

jmuroller
September 7th, 2006, 06:58 PM
We'll have to wait and see. Considering much of Lynch's performance and stats came in 2 games vs I-A's last year as well as 4 play-off teams, he may just be contrary to your opinion, be in LeZotte's league. Maybe not as good as LZ, but in the same league.

I went a little overboard, but there is no way that Lynch is better than LeZotte. LeZotte is an absolute freak when it comes to making plays. One thing that Appy does have us beat is with the other safety. Ours is damn good, but not like Appy's. He is an absolute playmaker.

LeZotte had 144 tackles in our championship run and Lynch had 92. That alone tells you how many plays LeZotte is involved in during a game.

Linehawg
September 7th, 2006, 07:25 PM
LeZotte had 144 tackles in our championship run and Lynch had 92. That alone tells you how many plays LeZotte is involved in during a game.

With a safety making that many tackles, you gotta wonder what everyone else was doing...sorry, couldn't resist.

AppGuy04
September 7th, 2006, 07:50 PM
With a safety making that many tackles, you gotta wonder what everyone else was doing...sorry, couldn't resist.

I was thinking the exact same thing. That is a hell of alot of tackles for a safety. Thats more of a reflection of the other talent than a particular player

SoCon48
September 7th, 2006, 07:50 PM
I went a little overboard, but there is no way that Lynch is better than LeZotte. LeZotte is an absolute freak when it comes to making plays. One thing that Appy does have us beat is with the other safety. Ours is damn good, but not like Appy's. He is an absolute playmaker.

Also maybe tells you how many plays reached the defensive backfield of JMU. Too, Lynch had a lot of help on a well rounded defense. e.g. Wiggins had 134 tackles, Hunter 101, Kelly 101, Monte Smith 95, Murrell 82 etc. Lynch also had 6 interceptions and returned them for 111 yds.

We'll just to have to wait and see what happens. Wiggins and Lynch do make a good combo.
Should be an interesting contest.

rufus
September 7th, 2006, 08:16 PM
LeZotte racked up some pretty impressive stats during the 2004 season, when JMU's team set a I-AA record for most sacks in a season. That record must point to a real lack of overall talent on defense. xidiotx

SoCon48
September 7th, 2006, 08:54 PM
LeZotte racked up some pretty impressive stats during the 2004 season, when JMU's team set a I-AA record for most sacks in a season. That record must point to a real lack of overall talent on defense. xidiotx

Stop the xidiotx crap. This isn't the smack board. Besides, I'd imagine my opinion is about as valid as yours. Geez.
2004? Thought we were talking about last year's team defense.
Did I say JMU's defense wasn't balanced in the first place? Just pointing out the balance and achievers on ASU's defense.

Well, anyway, Saturday should give just a little clue on the strength of the defenses even though your QB may be a little more effective than ours at this point in the season.

JMU2004
September 7th, 2006, 09:05 PM
wow....

I never knew the definition of Homer until I saw App. State Posters!!!!

Try watching film before you make a comment on Lezotte...... He gets these tackles because he closes on the ball FASTER than anyone that I have ever seen. Ask other fans who have seen him play.....its unbelievable. I mean, how many other safeties have a Lineman assigned to them on every play?

JMU Duke Dog
September 7th, 2006, 09:07 PM

Yet another anti-JMU post from Mr. Anti-JMU himself. What did JMU ever do to you to make you so angry towards the Dukes?

JMU Duke Dog
September 7th, 2006, 09:09 PM
JMU's defense in 2005 was the 5th best in the nation based on scoring defense; however, the defensive line and cornerbacks are for the most part new in 2006. I am quite interested in seeing how LeZotte, Winston, and company handle Appalachian State's offense this Satuday afternoon.

AppGuy04
September 7th, 2006, 09:09 PM
wow....

I never knew the definition of Homer untiul I saw App. State Posters!!!!

Try watching film before you make a comment on Lezotte...... He gets these tackles because he closes on the ball FASTER than anyone that I have ever seen. Ask other fans who have seen him play.....its unbelievable. I mean, how many other safeties have a Lineman assigned to them on every play?

OK, but you can't tell me it wouldn't be logical to assume the other opinions expressed above. Most of the time if a safety has alot of tackles, its not a good thing.

JMU Duke Dog
September 7th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Woah people! Smack should be on the smack board. I think all of us here can at least agree upon that this game will showcase some of the best safeties in all of I-AA. :nod:

JMU2004
September 7th, 2006, 09:17 PM
OK, but you can't tell me it wouldn't be logical to assume the other opinions expressed above. Most of the time if a safety has alot of tackles, its not a good thing.

it MIGHT be logical, but if you actualy did some research, you might find that JMU has had excellent defenses the last 2 years.

in 2004, JMU had 60+ sacks!!!! Oh yeah, we stopped the VAUNTED Montana O that had been ripping people all year

in 2005, while we slipped, JMU was still a very strong Defense

ASU fans, I am happy that you support your team. I just ask that you include SOME objectivity and research in your posts. Supporting your team is one thing, but being blinded by your loyalties is another. ASU may very well whip JMU, but we won't know until the game is played! :hurray: :hurray:

AppGuy04
September 7th, 2006, 09:20 PM
it MIGHT be logical, but if you actualy did some research, you might find that JMU has had excellent defenses the last 2 years.

in 2004, JMU had 60+ sacks!!!! Oh yeah, we stopped the VAUNTED Montana O that had been ripping people all year

in 2005, while we slipped, JMU was still a very strong Defense

ASU fans, I am happy that you support your team. I just ask that you include SOME objectivity and research in your posts. Supporting your team is one thing, but being blinded by your loyalties is another. ASU may very well whip JMU, but we won't know until the game is played! :hurray: :hurray:

without seeing a player live, there is only so much research one can do

JMU2004
September 7th, 2006, 09:25 PM
without seeing a player live, there is only so much research one can do

then it would be prudent to reserve your opinion UNTIL it you have seen him play.

I have only seen Elder play once, and he was not effective.....but I will reserve judgement until I see him on Saturday

psc2445
September 7th, 2006, 09:27 PM
wow....

I have never seen Lezotte play and I am sure he is a great player to have received all the accolades he has since his freshman year. In general if a safety is in the box or close to the box then yes they are accounted for. But to make a statement saying he is the only safety to have a lineman assigned to him every play is assinine(he is a FS correct?). Lineman, good ones, are taught to climb to next the next level and find the safety. obviously being a great player has has to be accounted for but not to this extent. As for an arguement in your favor safeties often lead teams in tackles and it doesnt neccesarily mean you have a bad defense. If he is one of your better players and is active and instinctive then he should. App has always had safties at or near the top in tackles. Look at last year, Wiggins led the team in tackles, granted from the nickel(weak safety) position, so he is often in the box. Being a former safety i am anxious to watch all these good safeties on the field. i let you know next week what i thought. good luck saturday

AppGuy04
September 7th, 2006, 09:30 PM
then it would be prudent to reserve your opinion UNTIL it you have seen him play.

I have only seen Elder play once, and he was not effective.....but I will reserve judgement until I see him on Saturday

then maybe you should go back and read my posts, I haven't made a comment about Lezotte's talent

you are arguing with the wrong person

JMU2004
September 7th, 2006, 09:49 PM
then maybe you should go back and read my posts, I haven't made a comment about Lezotte's talent

you are arguing with the wrong person

eh, so far ALL of the ASU fans here, on caazone, and ASU boards have acted the same!!! Forgive me!

is this where an APP fan predicts a 48-0 shut out?

AppGuy04
September 7th, 2006, 09:54 PM
eh, so far ALL of the ASU fans here, on caazone, and ASU boards have acted the same!!! Forgive me!

is this where an APP fan predicts a 48-0 shut out?

Wow, you've shown great class. So what exactly seperates you from these supposed App fans that are all the same?:rolleyes:

Three different boards, and they all act the same, hmmm, let me draw a conclusion there. I think you see where I might be heading.

JMU2004
September 7th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Wow, you've shown great class. So what exactly seperates you from these supposed App fans that are all the same?:rolleyes:

Three different boards, and they all act the same, hmmm, let me draw a conclusion there. I think you see where I might be heading.

you're right...its just me....I mean, its not as if the rest of I-AA agrees with me on the ASU fan base. xlolx :nod: xidiotx

AppGuy04
September 8th, 2006, 08:03 AM
you're right...its just me....I mean, its not as if the rest of I-AA agrees with me on the ASU fan base. xlolx :nod: xidiotx

Or maybe you just take this a little too seriously. I'm not one to smack, and you will be hard pressed to find a member on here that would discount that. If a lone JMU fan is now speaking for all of I-AA outside of Boone then we are definitely in trouble. Every fan base has a lunatic fringe, and if you judge said fan base by that, then you are just as ignorant as they:twocents:

Tribe4SF
September 8th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Alrighty!!! The heat is on! Time to tee it up, boys. Wish this was on TV.

Go Dukes!!!

psc2445
September 8th, 2006, 09:07 AM
take this mess to the kids corner

JMUfan2008
September 8th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Okay, I got into this discussion a little late, so here we go:

1) Both are amazing teams and both have a weakness here or there
2) Both quarterbacks are great. I watched Elder on TV for the NC game last year and to step up like that is incredible. Rascati is amazing (had an insane efficiency rating last year) I just wish he would make some more deep passes instead of tucking and running every other play like last week
3) JMU seems to be injury prone especially with running backs, but that what happened in 2004 and the players stepped up every time
4) I'm just gonna go ahead and say I love Lezotte, he is a PLAYMAKER in every sense of the word. I know running routes and everything is gonna take time to learn, but with all the interceptions he's made...the guy knows how to catch haha. So this is my partially biased point of view: at WR if he catches the ball and you don't hit him right away, he's gonna hit you back when you come after him. Not to take away from the App St safties, from what you've said they're really good too, so I'm hoping he has a chance to get ready for those hits
5) We have some good options for WR, I just don't think we're utilizing them very well...LC Baker, DD Boxley are both small quick guys (as the 52yd screen showed last week) Bransford and Bosco Williams are also pretty good and Patrick Ward is good too (I don't think he has much experience though). And those are just the main guys. If they can get semi-open Rascati can hit 'em, let's just hope they catch this week.
6) The rest we'll see tomorrow....I can't freakin wait!

SoCon48
September 8th, 2006, 12:20 PM
wow....

Look boy, I haven't made one single comment saying that Lynch was head and shoulders above LZotte. Not one. Just taking up for Lynch and his abilities and performance last year vs play-off teams.
So quit quibbling and trying to start a flame war.
As to the linemaen covering LZ. We all wish Lynch had been coverd that way every game. Jason Hunter, M Murrell, Wiggins, Touchstone et al would have ahd a freakin field day. (which they actuallly did on occasions.)
Besides, if we at ASU exhibit the team play like we had last year...there won't be any consistent stars.

LZ is a preseason AA candidate for good reasons and no one is saying any diff. Just promoting him to god like status and putting Lynch down like he is a scrub doesn't set well with some of us..

Hopefully tomorow, you'll see 11 defensive players acting as a team. If one stands out..so be it.

SoCon48
September 8th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Just an anecdote here. ASU's NC run last year was predicated on expecting a diff player on offense and defense to have a break out game each week. Richie was the only one we had to expect that AA perormance out of every week.
Elon has maybe the best Linebacker in the I-AA ranks, at least stats wise. Check out haow many games they won. Elon was forced to be too dependent on him to carry the defense.

JMU2004
September 8th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Look boy, I haven't made one single comment saying that Lynch was head and shoulders above LZotte. Not one. Just taking up for Lynch and his abilities and performance last year vs play-off teams.
So quit quibbling and trying to start a flame war.
As to the linemaen covering LZ. We all wish Lynch had been coverd that way every game. Jason Hunter, M Murrell, Wiggins, Touchstone et al would have ahd a freakin field day. (which they actuallly did on occasions.)
Besides, if we at ASU exhibit the team play like we had last year...there won't be any consistent stars.

LZ is a preseason AA candidate for good reasons and no one is saying any diff. Just promoting him to god like status and putting Lynch down like he is a scrub doesn't set well with some of us..

allrighty, boy :p

SoCon48
September 8th, 2006, 01:08 PM
allrighty, boy :p

You uns jes bring em ar valley boys on down to Boone Nawth Caliners KBS t'mar. Be sure to put some paddin in thur purple overhauls' seats, 'cuz when they gits thur spankin' in front of 20-30,000 hillbillies it's gonna hurt! :hurray:

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 8th, 2006, 02:14 PM
The silence will be deafening.

See you in Boone tomorrow!

SoCon48
September 8th, 2006, 03:45 PM
The silence will be deafening.

See you in Boone tomorrow!

Dunno about that one, DD. If the Apps choke or screw up or even get soundly whipped in a fair game, the ASU fans will turn on the coach like you've never seen. :eek: :eek: :eek: And as loud as they cheer winning efforts.
Either way, it will be loud!:hurray:

ASU Kep
September 8th, 2006, 05:02 PM
ASU will not turn on Coach Moore regardless of how tomorrow ends up. I'm predicting a semi-large MOV, but if we lose, we lose.

Whether ASU fans will tire of Trey is a different question entirely, however. He needs a break-out game here, and I think (and hope) he's going to make it happen against a very good JMU defense.

SoCon48
September 8th, 2006, 05:16 PM
ASU will not turn on Coach Moore regardless of how tomorrow ends up. I'm predicting a semi-large MOV, but if we lose, we lose.

Whether ASU fans will tire of Trey is a different question entirely, however. He needs a break-out game here, and I think (and hope) he's going to make it happen against a very good JMU defense.
You must not have been reading the MMB very closely of late, Kep.
Last year I had the discomfort of sitting close to two slobs from ASU at a freakin' play-off game who were yelling stupid stuff about Moore's play calling while we were ahead of all things.
Almost took moff my ASU jacket in embarrassment.
But we agree, Kep, about the QB. First if things go badly they'll moan and b#### about the QB. Then if the staff doesn't yank him whenever they think he should , the fans will turn their wrath on the coaches.
I just participated in very lengthy thread about why Moore didn't yank Trey when he barfed while we were near the goal line. More fans thought he should have yanked him than not.
Some fans are moaning that Moore already has been given a 3 year contract.

ASU Kep
September 8th, 2006, 06:10 PM
I read the MMB daily. I've read a lot of threads critical of a few calls Coach Moore made in the State game, but I've yet to read one calling for his resignation (please enlighten me if I missed it). I myself questioned a few of his calls during the game but thats a long way from wanting him gone. He's done everything for this program, and come hell or highwater, he's got my support.

...the QB situation we ARE in agreement on, though. If Trey lays another egg like he did at State (granted, against the best defense he'll see all year) you'll hear quite a few people calling for the age of Armanti to begin immediately. I'm not quite there yet, and won't be even if he doesn't perform too well against JMU, but to me theres a difference between criticizing the Coach and the new QB. Coach Moore has shown us what he can do, Trey as of yet...hasn't (but he will) :D.

GaSouthern
September 8th, 2006, 06:34 PM
JMU is going down, mark it down.

ASU Kep
September 8th, 2006, 07:11 PM

by 2-3 TDs. ASU is pissed.

youwouldno
September 8th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Trey Elder is going to start for App St for the next 2 seasons. If the large segment of crazy App fans had their way, App St would hire a new coach every 2 weeks and start a different QB every game. Luckily for the program, Moore is calling the shots, and he is going to stick with Elder for the duration.

ASU Kep
September 8th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Don't be so sure. I can guarantee you there will be some controversy next summer over whether our starter is Mr. Elder or Mr. Edwards. And it's NOT because Trey will do bad this year. He's going to do great, but a lot of people up here have big hopes for Armanti Edwards.

SoCon48
September 8th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Trey Elder is going to start for App St for the next 2 seasons. If the large segment of crazy App fans had their way, App St would hire a new coach every 2 weeks and start a different QB every game. Luckily for the program, Moore is calling the shots, and he is going to stick with Elder for the duration.

If the large segment of crazy App fans had their way, App St would hire a new coach every 2 weeks and start a different QB every game

Nail on the head.:thumbsup:

SoCon48
September 8th, 2006, 07:41 PM

Spoken like a true SoCon man.

KiddBrewer
September 8th, 2006, 07:41 PM
as if i needed anymore motivation...this thread has given it to me....only about 18 more hours.........read below
VVVVVVVVVVVV

SoCon48
September 8th, 2006, 07:43 PM
BTW, sincere condolences to all GSU fans on the demise of your beloved former coach. He did a lot for college football in general, not just GSU and not just I-AA.

KiddBrewer
September 8th, 2006, 07:43 PM
and ps. i hope JMU throws the ball all day tomorrow, for all those doubting our secondary:nod:

Linehawg
September 8th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Yet another anti-JMU post from Mr. Anti-JMU himself. What did JMU ever do to you to make you so angry towards the Dukes?

I actually worked for JMU for five years (97-02) then resigned because the corruption of Roses' administration. All that aside, I just can't stand Matthews. Good friends on the team and on the faculty but Matthews is one of the most over-rated coaches on the planet. You might not like my opinion, but I'm entitled to it based on personal experience.

SoCon48
September 8th, 2006, 07:51 PM
and ps. i hope JMU throws the ball all day tomorrow, for all those doubting our secondary:nod:

It would be a nice touch for the Dukes to learn the hard way. Couple interceptions by a couple diff Apps, some slobberknockers when they catch passes, Murrell and Co. catching "Ravioli" in the backfield, fumbles scooped up and trotted in, etc etc :cool: :cool: :cool:

My fear is that the reverse could happen if our OL doesn't hold.:eek:

SoCon48
September 8th, 2006, 07:53 PM
I actually worked for JMU for five years (97-02) then resigned because the corruption of Roses' administration. All that aside, I just can't stand Matthews. Good friends on the team and on the faculty but Matthews is one of the most over-rated coaches on the planet. You might not like my opinion, but I'm entitled to it based on personal experience.

Good friends on the team and on the faculty but Matthews is one of the most over-rated coaches on the planet.

Nice to hear, hope that holds true tomorrow at 3:30.:eyebrow:

Tribe4SF
September 10th, 2006, 12:19 PM

Don't think your cellar dwellers want any part of Towson. In the last three wins for Towson over Elon, the cumulative score is 82-37. Maybe not 11/12 vs the 3/4....more like 8/9 vs 3/4.