PDA

View Full Version : "Increased travel parties for the preliminary and title rounds"?

douglasdmb
September 5th, 2006, 03:59 PM
From Matt Dougherty's "Extra Point"

While the name change will be the most visible development, a few playoff- friendly moves will also help provide a better atmosphere for the Division I Football Championship. The Board of Directors approved an additional $450,000 in the Division I budget to go for playoff enhancements, which will allow for increased travel parties for the preliminary and title rounds.

Can someone elaborate on what exactly this legislation does/means? Do each of the 16 playoff teams get $450K, or is that amount divided amongst the 16?

I'm confused:nonono2:

R.A.
September 5th, 2006, 06:09 PM
-The way I understand it, the 450K will be added to the overall NCAA playoff budget, and the money will be used for playoff enhancements from the NCAA... possibly like more items for the NCAA to sale along with schools during the playoff games... resulting in more money made by the NCAA.
-Overall, although I support the NCAA Playoff, I feel that the NCAA is being cheap with it also. I really feel that schools should receive a cash reward for each playoff game competed in & each game won in the playoffs... this is in addition to the financial structure in place now/ the rules that we know about.

GSUISBACK
September 5th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Why doesnt the NCAA get sponsers for the playoffs?

douglasdmb
September 5th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Overall, although I support the NCAA Playoff, I feel that the NCAA is being cheap with it also. I really feel that schools should receive a cash reward for each playoff game competed in & each game won in the playoffs... this is in addition to the financial structure in place now/ the rules that we know about.

So, how much of the ticket money goes to the NCAA and how much goes to the schools competing, if any. Do teams from the conferences of the competing schools get any money, as is customary with bowl games/the NCAA basketball tourney?

slostang
September 6th, 2006, 12:20 AM
I think the extra money will go to increased size of travel parties which means more players, staff and booster can fly on the team charters.

September 6th, 2006, 01:51 AM
So, how much of the ticket money goes to the NCAA and how much goes to the schools competing, if any. Do teams from the conferences of the competing schools get any money, as is customary with bowl games/the NCAA basketball tourney?The NCAA posts this info on the Internet. Check here for abbreviated info:
http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=37174

You can't compare basekeetboool xlolx to football. Football is the #1 college sport. It has many many more players and coaches etc. than basekeetboool. Check out the average attendance for basekeetboool vs. football.

Similarly you can't compare I-A to I-AA. Apples to oranges. One is trying to play within a budget (I-AA) and one will bust the budget and expect students and fans to fund it (I-A).

Schools that compete in the playoffs get more travel members this year. Advertising is increased. Peripherals are increased. That's what the extra money goes for.

R.A.
September 6th, 2006, 04:21 AM
So, how much of the ticket money goes to the NCAA and how much goes to the schools competing, if any. Do teams from the conferences of the competing schools get any money, as is customary with bowl games/the NCAA basketball tourney?

-I haven't read the rule book in a while, but I believe what you are asking, is the part in the guidelines that is very non- specific.

henfan
September 6th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Why doesnt the NCAA get sponsers for the playoffs?

My best guess is that this may have something to do with the Bowl Subdivision and their arrangement with sponsors.;)

Since D-I bowl conferences have been granted the voting power to largely dictate what happens in the NCAA, they'd most definitely have some opinion of how aggressively the NCAA should pursue sponsorship of its own D-I football championship. For example, would sponsorship of the D-I NCAA football championship translate into less sponsorship available for the bowls? The bowl conferences probably wouldn't want to take that chance, especially if they don't stand to gain from our post-season.

There's a belief that the D-I post-season could be considerably better than it already is in terms of sponsorship, support and events surrounding the game, if not for the wishes and desires of the bowl gods.