PDA

View Full Version : Chris Forcier playing in Italian Football league

furbaloffear
May 12th, 2013, 04:18 PM
My dad and I are vacationing in Italy and for his birthday he wanted to attend a Parma Panthers American Football game. When we looked over the rosters we were surprised to find Christopher Forcier as the QB for the Milano Rhino's. Unfortunately he hurt his lower leg/ankle about half way through the first quarter, but not before he had what would have been a 95 yard TD run(the field is a rugby pitch and to make a football field fit with the goal posts it had to only be 90 yards long).

Overall the game was quite entertaining and the quality of play was fairly high. Each team is only allowed 3 american players and they have to wear an A that covers up one whole side of their helmet which was kinda weird. I would definitely recommend going to an IFL (Italian Football League) game if anyone ever has the opportunity.

Zim262
May 13th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Playing For Pizza.....

(Also a very good book by John Grisham)

PaladinFan
May 13th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Furman has a couple of guys (Mitch McGrath being one) playing in Italy. I was not even aware they had a football league.

I saw some video of McGrath playing. McGrath was a good SoCon linebacker, and one of the better defensive players Furman has had in a few years. He looks like an absolute giant out there. I'm not sure what the level of football is, but the DI players stand out like a sore thumb.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2444452/highlights/49963382

Just watch the first play. McGrath is a freaking linebacker, lines up a WR, and runs right past the defense.

pike51
May 14th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Ah... the Force still at it. Guess it's always a good time to remind everyone:

http://www.qbforce.com/NEW2009/home.html

CID1990
May 14th, 2013, 08:55 AM
My dad and I are vacationing in Italy and for his birthday he wanted to attend a Parma Panthers American Football game. When we looked over the rosters we were surprised to find Christopher Forcier as the QB for the Milano Rhino's. Unfortunately he hurt his lower leg/ankle about half way through the first quarter, but not before he had what would have been a 95 yard TD run(the field is a rugby pitch and to make a football field fit with the goal posts it had to only be 90 yards long).

Overall the game was quite entertaining and the quality of play was fairly high. Each team is only allowed 3 american players and they have to wear an A that covers up one whole side of their helmet which was kinda weird. I would definitely recommend going to an IFL (Italian Football League) game if anyone ever has the opportunity.

American football has kind of a cult following in some countries, including Mexico, Japan, Australia, Italy and Germany. Most of the European league teams have that rule limiting the number of Americans on the team. Germany has it also. These leagues also have a "Super Bowl", sort of a world cup of American Football. I think Japan has been in it a few times. I think you can Wiki it.

Uncle Rico's Clan
May 14th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Ah... the Force still at it. Guess it's always a good time to remind everyone:

http://www.qbforce.com/NEW2009/home.html

I didn't think that site was still up and running. Such a great thing.

furbaloffear
May 15th, 2013, 12:50 PM
I saw some video of McGrath playing. McGrath was a good SoCon linebacker, and one of the better defensive players Furman has had in a few years. He looks like an absolute giant out there. I'm not sure what the level of football is, but the DI players stand out like a sore thumb.

Yea the American players were very obviously head and shoulders above the rest of the players with most we saw playing both offense and D.

Playing For Pizza.....

(Also a very good book by John Grisham)

This was pretty much the entire reason my dad wanted to go see a game.