PDA

View Full Version : USA Today total sports revenue 2012

BEAR
May 8th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Breakdown of ticket sales, license fees, student fees, university funds, etc by school.
click on the school name and a new window will show you a breakdown

Interesting the closeness of many FBS schools to FCS schools. Check it out yourself.

For the SLC, two teams sold over $1 million in ticket sales for the year. That's it. xconfusedx

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/schools/finances/

Montana ticket sales: $5.5 million
North Dakota State ticket sales: $2.9 million
ASU ticket sales $2.3 million
North Dakota: $3.9 million

ursus arctos horribilis
May 8th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Thanks for throwing the link up Bear.

rokamortis
May 8th, 2013, 04:22 PM
How apples to apples is this? Do all schools report the same? I know SC has high tuition, but I'm surprised at how much we spent on athletics vs other schools. Coastal really spent $5 million more than App State?

Twentysix
May 8th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Breakdown of ticket sales, license fees, student fees, university funds, etc by school.
click on the school name and a new window will show you a breakdown

Interesting the closeness of many FBS schools to FCS schools. Check it out yourself.

For the SLC, two teams sold over $1 million in ticket sales for the year. That's it. xconfusedx

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/schools/finances/

Montana ticket sales: $5.5 million
North Dakota State ticket sales: $2.9 million
ASU ticket sales $2.3 million
North Dakota: $3.9 million

UND's really flexing their hockey money in that lineup.

IBleedYellow
May 8th, 2013, 05:25 PM
UND's really flexing their hockey money in that lineup.

Isn't that the truth, too bad it's also the most expensive sport to field considering their men's hockey team has to cover its own expenses and then the women's expenses aswell.

What is nuts is how much Montana has for ticket sales.

Smitty
May 8th, 2013, 05:33 PM
Surprised to see Western on there at 174. If we can get wins.... story of our lives, we could be higher.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 8th, 2013, 05:37 PM
Amazed Temple did not make the list. Pretty sad xbawlingx

chattownmocs
May 9th, 2013, 07:52 AM
We made more money than Georgia Southern. Damn Sun Belt made just a courtesy call right?

bostonspider
May 9th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Actually most of this years A10 schools are not on the list, Butler, Richmond, Xavier, Dayton, Temple, Lasalle, St. Joseph's, St Bonaventure, St. Louis, Duquesne, Fordham and George Washignton (all privates but Temple). Charlotte, UMass, URI, VCU (all publics) are on the list.

MplsBison
May 9th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Isn't that the truth, too bad it's also the most expensive sport to field considering their men's hockey team has to cover its own expenses and then the women's expenses aswell.

There are a lucky few schools that only have men's hockey, I believe.

MplsBison
May 9th, 2013, 09:31 AM
So I always wonder with things like this -- what incentive do universities or athletic departments have to share this info? Seems it could only be used negatively against the school or AD. So why share it?

Did USA Today "obtain" all this info via legal means? Wouldn't that only work for public schools?

Just seems like it should be taken with a grain of salt unless you can physically go to the school and open the real books.

rokamortis
May 9th, 2013, 09:33 AM
So I always wonder with things like this -- what incentive do universities or athletic departments have to share this info? Seems it could only be used negatively against the school or AD. So why share it?

Did USA Today "obtain" all this info via legal means? Wouldn't that only work for public schools?

Just seems like it should be taken with a grain of salt unless you can physically go to the school and open the real books.

I see mostly (all?) public schools - who are probably required to provide this data as part of their audited financial statement. Low hanging fruit for the reporters. The private schools don't have to comply but I'm sure some release this information publicly as to be transparent.

SU_IT_able
May 9th, 2013, 11:17 AM
All public schools. You would absolutely see schools like Southern Cal, Notre Dame, Stanford, Vanderbilt, Miami, Duke, Baylor, Northwestern, TCU, etc... in the top 100 (some in the top 20) if privates participated. In many cases, private schools refuse to disclose salaries. Even for the publics, though, these numbers are anything but apples to apples. Remember, figures lie and liars figure.

Sandlapper Spike
May 9th, 2013, 12:28 PM
I was just looking at the scholarship numbers, and the USA Today site numbers are a little different from those at the DOE site (not by much). Trying to figure out the discrepancy.

Silenoz
May 9th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Eastern Michigan Ticket Sales:

2012 $173,973

lol?

IBleedYellow
May 9th, 2013, 12:58 PM
There are a lucky few schools that only have men's hockey, I believe.

Well, UND isn't one of them.

The reason those schools that you are talking about don't have women's hockey is they are able to satisfy Title 9 in a different sport.

They are still having to pay for those extra scholarships somewhere.

MplsBison
May 9th, 2013, 01:04 PM
I was just looking at the scholarship numbers, and the USA Today site numbers are a little different from those at the DOE site (not by much). Trying to figure out the discrepancy.

Different source info I'd guess. Or perhaps the DOE (you're referring to the "equity in athletics" website, correct?) info is from FY2011?

I'm certain if you asked 20 different schools for the same information 5 times each, you'd have 100 sets of different info.

MplsBison
May 9th, 2013, 01:06 PM
Well, UND isn't one of them.

The reason those schools that you are talking about don't have women's hockey is they are able to satisfy Title 9 in a different sport.

They are still having to pay for those extra scholarships somewhere.

Title IX is about women's equal participation in educational programs that are funded by federal money.

The ideal that title IX equates to requiring equal numbers of athletic scholarships for men's and women's varsity teams is ridiculously simplistic and technically incorrect.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 9th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Eastern Michigan Ticket Sales:

2012 $173,973

lol?

That's for all sports, too, not just football.

MplsBison
May 9th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Irrelevant to their Division I FBS status.

If the students vote to have it and pay for it --- it's done. That's how it is.

The Cats
May 9th, 2013, 03:53 PM
I listed some of the schools being considered for the SoCon as well as those public's that are remaining.

(Breakdown of ticket sales, license fees, student fees, university funds, etc by school.
On the site, click on the school name and a new window will show you a breakdown)

Rank - School - Total Revenue - Total Expenses - Total Subsidy - % Subsidy

103 - CCU --- $22,292,597 ---- $22,174,271 --------$18,299,695 -- 82.09

134 - UTC ----$15,110,268 ----- $15,110,268 ------- $11,180,421 -- 73.99

143 - UNCG -- $13,820,004 ----- $13,223,347 ------- $11,439,728 -- 82.78

157 - Citadel - $12,843,289 ----- $12,841,412 ------- $8,922,444 --- 69.47

159 - ETSU --- $12,544,534 ---- $12,449,876 ------- $10,130,539 -- 80.76

174 - WCU --- $11,087,825 ---- $11,605,915 -------- $8,296,978 -- 74.83

182 - VMI----- $10,856,177 ---- $11,092,350 ------- $4,219,009 --- 38.86

225 - UNCA --- $5,444,325 ------$5,535,771 ---------$4,011,857 ---73.69

ursus arctos horribilis
May 9th, 2013, 04:07 PM
I listed some of the schools being considered for the SoCon as well as those public's that are remaining.

(Breakdown of ticket sales, license fees, student fees, university funds, etc by school.
On the site, click on the school name and a new window will show you a breakdown)

Rank - School - Total Revenue - Total Expenses - Total Subsidy - % Subsidy

103 - CCU --- $22,292,597 ---- $22,174,271 --------$18,299,695 -- 82.09

134 - UTC ----$15,110,268 ----- $15,110,268 ------- $11,180,421 -- 73.99

143 - UNCG -- $13,820,004 ----- $13,223,347 ------- $11,439,728 -- 82.78

157 - Citadel - $12,843,289 ----- $12,841,412 ------- $8,922,444 --- 69.47

159 - ETSU --- $12,544,534 ---- $12,449,876 ------- $10,130,539 -- 80.76

174 - WCU --- $11,087,825 ---- $11,605,915 -------- $8,296,978 -- 74.83

182 - VMI----- $10,856,177 ---- $11,092,350 ------- $4,219,009 --- 38.86

225 - UNCA --- $5,444,325 ------$5,535,771 ---------$4,011,857 ---73.69

Holy crap VMI is in a fairly competitive position with WCU with less than 2K in students.

Saint3333
May 9th, 2013, 08:55 PM
VMI has great donors no doubt about it.

clenz
May 9th, 2013, 08:57 PM
I thought UNI got a **** ton of aid from the state, and we are one of the LOWEST by far in the way of state subsidy.

If UNI got that much it's be ****ing nuts

SDFS
May 9th, 2013, 10:45 PM

I thought that football would be the most expense? Plus, needing to cover the IX side of sixty scholarship.

Ivytalk
May 10th, 2013, 06:32 AM
Is Longwood a public school? Winthrop? Radford?

ccd494
May 10th, 2013, 07:01 AM

This makes zero sense to me. Hockey is fairly expensive, yes, but there is significant overlap in the men's/women's game that reduces costs for the non-revenue (in most places) women's side. It only takes one rink, for example. You can deal with the same companies for equipment. Usually there can be some overlap in the training/off-ice staff (if you are sharpening skates, it doesn't matter if it is a men's skate or a women's skate).

Football, with 3x as many scholarships at the FCS level (4x at the FBS level), requires its own field, unique equipment, more support staff, etc. It has to be offset by expenditures/opportunities for 3x/4x as many women's sports as ice hockey does.

So, you look at it like "we add men's hockey, we have to add women's" when it should be "we can just add a women's team to the same ice sheet as the men's, and it will even out." Whereas when ETSU (as an example) adds football, they have to say "well, field hockey gets us 1/4 of the way there, maybe let's look at women's rowing? We'll need a body of water and some boats, boats cost money, so now we are halfway there, can we add track scholarships? Should we fully fund softball?"

Interestingly, two D-I schools fully fund a women's program without a men's team- Lindenwood (who can't sponsor men's due to NCAA playup rules and having a D-I men's volleyball team) and Syracuse (no suitable rink).

rokamortis
May 10th, 2013, 08:14 AM
Is Longwood a public school? Winthrop? Radford?

Yes, all those schools are public.

MplsBison
May 10th, 2013, 08:40 AM
This makes zero sense to me. Hockey is fairly expensive, yes, but there is significant overlap in the men's/women's game that reduces costs for the non-revenue (in most places) women's side. It only takes one rink, for example. You can deal with the same companies for equipment. Usually there can be some overlap in the training/off-ice staff (if you are sharpening skates, it doesn't matter if it is a men's skate or a women's skate).

Football, with 3x as many scholarships at the FCS level (4x at the FBS level), requires its own field, unique equipment, more support staff, etc. It has to be offset by expenditures/opportunities for 3x/4x as many women's sports as ice hockey does.

So, you look at it like "we add men's hockey, we have to add women's" when it should be "we can just add a women's team to the same ice sheet as the men's, and it will even out." Whereas when ETSU (as an example) adds football, they have to say "well, field hockey gets us 1/4 of the way there, maybe let's look at women's rowing? We'll need a body of water and some boats, boats cost money, so now we are halfway there, can we add track scholarships? Should we fully fund softball?"

Interestingly, two D-I schools fully fund a women's program without a men's team- Lindenwood (who can't sponsor men's due to NCAA playup rules and having a D-I men's volleyball team) and Syracuse (no suitable rink).

But it's suitable for women? I don't understand.

MplsBison
May 10th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Yes, all those schools are public.

As are Clemson, Purdue and Auburn. State flagship public universities in those cases.

ccd494
May 10th, 2013, 09:09 AM
But it's suitable for women? I don't understand.

Only seats 350, so no it really isn't. But it's what they've got. I guess I mean "fully fund" scholarship wise but not facilities wise.

MplsBison
May 10th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Ok.

I thought you meant something along the lines of rink size...like a women's rink is smaller, or something like that.

rokamortis
May 10th, 2013, 11:20 AM
As are Clemson, Purdue and Auburn. State flagship public universities in those cases.

Not sure I get your point, but yes those are public schools as well. Is it because they have unique, non-state names? I believe the University of South Carolina, University of Alabama, and Indiana University are the flagship schools for their respective states. Those schools you mentioned are major schools but are not the flagship schools for their state.

MplsBison
May 10th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Not sure I get your point, but yes those are public schools as well. Is it because they have unique, non-state names? I believe the University of South Carolina, University of Alabama, and Indiana University are the flagship schools for their respective states. Those schools you mentioned are major schools but are not the flagship schools for their state.

Yes, the point was that there are several (sometimes major) public schools that do not have names like "University of [state]" or "[state] State University".

Clemson, Purdue and Auburn are unquestionably public flagships in their respective states and each state's respective boards of higher education would surely confirm those facts.

Some state public higher education systems have two or even multiple flagship campuses in the system. North Dakota being an example as well.

BEAR
May 10th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Thanks for throwing the link up Bear.

I apologize. I didn't realize it was already in another thread. Oops. xasswhipx

ursus arctos horribilis
May 10th, 2013, 03:19 PM
I apologize. I didn't realize it was already in another thread. Oops. xasswhipx

This one was? I threw an old link up in another thread but hadn't seen anything more current unless mine was auto directed to the new info.?

I wasn't being a smart ass there. I meant it seriously.xthumbsupx

Drblankstare
May 11th, 2013, 10:11 PM
The folks in Montana know how to spend their money wisely. 5 mil is a nice number

clenz
May 11th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Odd that Indiana isn't the flagship...yet puts that they on on their facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/IndianaUniversity

I view Purdue and Indiana much like Iowa and Iowa State.....both will claim to be flagships, but neither are more so than the other. Both states university systems have split the academic structure of the two universities so that neither can lay claim to a true flagship.

SDFS
May 12th, 2013, 12:49 AM

Don't let them get to you.. it's NDSU and they have a problem with anything hockey so they just make **** up and if they same it enough they start to believe it.

344Johnson
May 12th, 2013, 03:56 AM
Don't let them get to you.. it's NDSU and they have a problem with anything hockey so they just make **** up and if they same it enough they start to believe it.

A.) Hockey is a sport for rich white kids who cant make the football team. ;)

B.) It is extremely expensive.

C.) UND has managed to do an exceptional job using it as a moneymaker.

BEAR
May 12th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Hoc----key???? What is this hoc---key you speak of? Not much need for it in the south... xlolx

MplsBison
May 12th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Hoc----key???? What is this hoc---key you speak of? Not much need for it in the south... xlolx

Just like books.

;)

Twentysix
May 12th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Odd that Indiana isn't the flagship...yet puts that they on on their facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/IndianaUniversity

I view Purdue and Indiana much like Iowa and Iowa State.....both will claim to be flagships, but neither are more so than the other. Both states university systems have split the academic structure of the two universities so that neither can lay claim to a true flagship.

His posts reads that they are co-flagships. "Some state public higher education systems have two or even multiple flagship campuses in the system. North Dakota being an example as well."

I believe he is saying Purdue and IU are both Flagships in Indiana, like NDSU and UND in North Dakota. Aswell as, Clemson and South Carolina, Auburn and Alabama. Earlier in the thread there was minor confusion as to whether schools without the name University of _____ or _____ State University were public. (I think) he was saying something to the effect of, not only are some of these schools, (Clemson, auburn, purdue) public, they are flagships.

The existence of I(ndiana)U(niversity)P(urdue)U(niversity)I(ndianap olis) suggests both IU and PU are flagships in Indiana.

They are flagship in the regard that all the other public schools in Indiana only get the leftover scraps. Purdue and Indiana are fed first, and in many regards probably decided how the money is split up within their respective campus systems; or in the instance of IUPUI, their combined symbiotic campus.

MplsBison
May 12th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Yes.

Also keep in mind that there may not only be two or multiple flagship campuses within a single system, but several states have multiple systems as well. And sometimes the systems are not of equivalent status in the general realm of "public schools".

For example, Minnesota has the University of Minnesota system (with an obvious single flagship of the Twin Cities campus) but it also has the MNSCU system, in which you could make a case for St. Cloud and Mankato being the two flagship campuses. But in the overall realm of public schools in Minnesota, the U of MN, Twin Cities is the unquestionable, namesake flagship of the state.

Indiana may have the University of Indiana system and the Purdue system. I'm not sure. There are also campuses that offer degrees from both Indiana and Purdue (I assume depending on the field of study) in Indy and Fort Wayne. So I don't know if that suggests two separate systems or a single system for the entire state.

And lastly, there are examples in some states of public universities that are independent of all the state's university systems. Indiana State might be an example of this, but again I have not researched Indiana well enough to know for sure.

BEAR
May 12th, 2013, 09:07 PM
Just like books.

;)

I'll just say "Thank God for Mississippi and leave it at that...