PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Bails out of South Dakota State game in 2014

Gil Dobie
May 8th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Not sure if this has been posted, but was there not a buyout in the contract for SDSU. $400,000 is a lot of money to lose out on.

Pioneer Press link (http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci_23189880/gophers-football-tcu-south-dakota-state-out-unc)

In a controversial move last year, the University of Minnesota agreed to pay $800,000 to get out of two football games against North Carolina that were scheduled for next season on the road and in 2014 at TCF Bank Stadium.

On Tuesday, May 7, the Gophers announced they will play Texas Christian University twice, at TCU in 2014 and at home in 2015, and cancel a home game against South Dakota State -- a combination that will more than recoup that money.

"The financials are terrific for us," Gophers athletics director Norwood Teague said.

Minnesota will receive $500,000 for playing at TCU, Teague said, and TCU will receive nothing from Minnesota for playing at TCF Bank Stadium. The Horned Frogs will replace South Dakota State on the Gophers' 2015 home schedule, meaning Minnesota will save the $400,000 it would have had to pay SDSU.

"Which is another great part of the agreement," Teague said.

MplsBison
May 8th, 2013, 12:40 PM
I assume TCU is picking up the $400k buyout, for a total of $900k in compensation to Minnesota for the two game series. Not bad for the Gophers! Considering they paid $800k to get out of a 2 game series with North Carolina and replaced it with New Mexico St....

DFW HOYA
May 8th, 2013, 12:46 PM
I assume TCU is picking up the $400k buyout, for a total of $900k in compensation to Minnesota for the two game series. Not bad for the Gophers! Considering they paid $800k to get out of a 2 game series with North Carolina and replaced it with New Mexico St....

Another article said that TCU will host SDSU in 2015 in lieu of a buyout.

Laker
May 8th, 2013, 03:58 PM
I'm still disgusted with the Gophers. Duck UNC who is not that great but sign up TCU who has been a much better program.

I'm afraid that UMTC suffers from a permanent case of rectal-cranial inversion. When NDSU, USD and SDSU played the Goofers I was pulling for the Dakota schools. A dead man was a better coach than Brewster.

darell1976
May 8th, 2013, 04:15 PM
I'm still disgusted with the Gophers. Duck UNC who is not that great but sign up TCU who has been a much better program.

I'm afraid that UMTC suffers from a permanent case of rectal-cranial inversion. When NDSU, USD and SDSU played the Goofers I was pulling for the Dakota schools. A dead man was a better coach than Brewster.

And since the Big Ten is pulling this stunt by banning playing FCS teams UND won't get a shot at the Goofs as they were in talks about a game in 2017 or 18.

MplsBison
May 8th, 2013, 05:44 PM
And since the Big Ten is pulling this stunt by banning playing FCS teams UND won't get a shot at the Goofs as they were in talks about a game in 2017 or 18.

Unless the Big Sky, with the rest of the Dakotas added, is able to move to FBS in say 12 years?

darell1976
May 8th, 2013, 07:05 PM
Unless the Big Sky, with the rest of the Dakotas added, is able to move to FBS in say 12 years?

By then there will be a 3-tier League. Until Memorial Stadium gets remodeled UND is no where close to moving to the FBS.

justintyem
May 8th, 2013, 11:22 PM
And the goofs have the bunnies on the schedual for Thurs., Aug. 29 2019 ............ http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/future-schedules.html