PDA

View Full Version : SHSU vs Arkansas-Monticello

TexasTerror
September 5th, 2006, 10:40 AM
While the Bearkats are playing a Div II foe, there's a lot of curiousity about the Bearkats throughout the I-AA world and the world of college football in general. The Bearkats have been making news with the addition of Rhett Bomar, which brings back memories of transfers of years' past whether it Dustin Long and Josh McCown or Vance Smith and Noah Allen.

The questions to ask about the Bearkats circulate around three positions, QB, RB and the DBs

1) QBs. With Rhett Bomar coming, the question is when? When will he be able to take the reins or will he even be able to unseat Wade Pate or Philip Daughtery? WP and PD led the Kats to some success last year, but none have really differentied themself from the others during the course of the regular season. PD came right before the season and now has had a good year to learn the system, but WP enters with the starting job after impressing the coaching staff during the offseason.

2) RBs. The Kats lost two vital cogs to the running game when Jason Godfrey and Stevie Smith (who was also a helluva returner) completed their eligibility with the Kats. This year, the Kats look to Andrew Audelin and DD Terry. Terry is a speedster on the back-to-back SLC outdoor champion Bearkat track team and was a DB before being moved to RB. Audein showed some flashes in the Bacone rout last year, but has never been looked as the #1 ball carrier. Chris Poullard, a true freshman would be the 3rd RB. With a very big OL, can the RBs get the running game going to open up the passing lanes?

3) DBs. Running a 4-2-5 defense, the secondary is very critical. The Kats faithful believe they have a very talented group of players in the secondary with lots of speed and ability. Shocking the Kat faithful this week is the fact Tony Jones displaced Byran Richmond on the Kats two-deep. All five DBs that will start for the Kats are all seniors with Derrick Harris, Braylon Linnear, Scorpio Babers, Chadd Oliphant and Jones being that five. Are these guys as good as advertised? If they are, the defense is definitely going to be a strong suit for the Kats.
-------------------------
Sam Houston State Bearkats vs Arkansas-Monticello
6 pm, Saturday, September 9th
Bowers Stadium, Huntsville

Audio
SHSU: http://www.ksam1017.com
UAM: mms://192.112.26.41/field%20house

Game Release:
SHSU: http://bearkats.shsu.edu/pdf/fbrelease.pdf
UAM (Media Guide): http://www.uamsports.com/football/2006%20FB%20Guide%20Master%20(Last).pdf

Conference Notes (when made available):
Gulf South Conference: http://www.gulfsouthconference.org/sports/menssports/football/06fbrelease3.pdf
Southland: http://southland.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/soul-m-footbl-weekly-updates.html

SLC Weekly Audio (when made available):
http://southland.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/06-coaches-teleconference.html

Team Sites:
SHSU: http://bearkats.shsu.edu/football
UAM:http://www.uamsports.com/football/football.htm

Fan Boards:
SHSU: http://www.katfans.com
UAM (D2football.com): http://www.d2football.com/board/index.php?showforum=15

AppGuy04
September 5th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Bomar will strictly be a clip board holder in this game and shouldn't be needed anyways

exbearkat
September 5th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Nice info TT.

One thing I noticed too is that the WR transfer from TT, Catron Houston, is listed as one of the kickoff returners. I have heard that this kid is lightning fast, so it makes logical sense. Could he end up being better than Stevie? That's certainly asking a lot, but it appears that he possesses all the tools. We shall see. :nod:

exbearkat
September 5th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Bomar will strictly be a clip board holder in this game and shouldn't be needed anyways
Bomar won't see the field until AT LEAST mid-season.

AppGuy04
September 5th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Bomar won't see the field until AT LEAST mid-season.

Can he not be on the sidelines during the game?

TexasTerror
September 5th, 2006, 11:59 AM
One thing I noticed too is that the WR transfer from TT, Catron Houston, is listed as one of the kickoff returners. I have heard that this kid is lightning fast, so it makes logical sense. Could he end up being better than Stevie? That's certainly asking a lot, but it appears that he possesses all the tools. We shall see. :nod:

Nothing better than a lightning fast kick returner to fill the void left by Stevie Smith. The Kats special teams need to come to life this year in all aspects. We've seen in week one how special teams can be very vital to the wins and losses (see Grambling St's loss to Hampton or Western Kentucky falling in an early hole against Georgia).

If the Kats can get a strong return game from Houston and Derrick Harris, that's going to make a world of difference especially as it relates to setting up the offense, but more importantly for their fellow special teamers. We've got two kickers, Pearcy and Wilkins who have not seen any duty as it relates to PATs and FGs at the I-AA level. The Kats are going to need to get these guys into good field position so they can work out the kinks and build the confidence.

TexasTerror
September 6th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Just an FYI, Whitten's teleconference is up on the SLC web site...along with the rest of the SLC's.

Whitten begins talking about Arkansas-Monticello's team and previewing the game ahead. He talks about 'coming to play every week' with all the upsets around the country....

Whitten then talks about playing a lot of guys, particularly on defense and at wide reciever. Whitten talks about getting the running backs some reps due to lack of experience in the backfield.

Kevin Gore asks Whitten about playing on the road the next four weeks.

Whitten closes by talking about Bomar, saying the Kats were still in camp and getting him familiar. The Kats have completed the filing associated with applying for reinstatement. Said Rhett can not get as many reps because it is game week.

http://southland.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/06-coaches-teleconference.html

TexasTerror
September 6th, 2006, 08:50 PM
From UAM Athletics...

Boll Weevils Return To Field Saturday Against Sam Houston State
September 6, 2006

MONTICELLO, AR --- By the time that the University of Arkansas at Monticello Boll Weevils kick off against Sam Houston State this coming Saturday in Huntsville, Texas, the Boll Weevils will have had two full weeks to not only prepare for the Bearkats, but address what coach Gwaine Mathews saw as the biggest problem for the Boll Weevils in their season-opening loss to Southern Arkansas.

“I’ve never made excuses and I’m not going to start now,” said Mathews, “but in the fourth quarter they wanted to win the game a little bit more than we wanted not to lose it. We didn’t quit, but in the fourth quarter, our defense didn’t play well enough to win. The offense gave us the lead, and the defense couldn’t hold them when we needed to, but we are much improved.”

While last season’s 1-10 campaign was disheartening for even the most optimistic Boll Weevil fan, the Weevils gave their supporters reason to cheer against Southern Arkansas in the season opener; proving to be much-improved both on the offensive and defensive side of the ball.

“We’re bigger, faster, and stronger than we were last year,” said Mathews, “but we’re still inexperienced. There is no quick fix for that. We return only three true starters from last season’s defense, and the rest of them are brand new.”

http://www.uamsports.com/news%20releases/football/sept06.htm

Panther88
September 6th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Oh no!! Not the great and mighty SHSU playing a div ii opponent. Where's that 2-faced smiley @? :thumbsup:

Weren't you ranting and raving about I-AAers playing Div II or below opponents TexasTerror???????

I'll wait over here for your response------> :D

slycat
September 6th, 2006, 09:55 PM
i hadnt seen any news on it yet but when will the decision on bomars suspension be made?

TexasTerror
September 7th, 2006, 07:32 AM
Oh no!! Not the great and mighty SHSU playing a div ii opponent. Where's that 2-faced smiley @? :thumbsup:

Weren't you ranting and raving about I-AAers playing Div II or below opponents TexasTerror???????

It's called balancing out the schedule when you play two I-A schools. Thanks to PVA&M not having the equivalencies a year ago, we were able to get that game against Houston.

We're just like every other I-AA that schedules a sub-division foe. It balances out the schedule. It's like the I-As that play a I-AA. Another home game that you pay out for someone to come in.

Unfortunately, the PVA&M's of the world wouldn't know that, because they strictly play sub Div I foes in their OOC this year (Paul Quinn and Edward Waters) just as they did the year before (AT Lincoln and vs Paul Quinn).

Now explain me this, how was it that a team turns over the ball SIX times and still beats the Panthers? xcoffeex

TexasTerror
September 7th, 2006, 07:33 AM
i hadnt seen any news on it yet but when will the decision on bomars suspension be made?

The application for reinstatement has been filed. It comes down to the NCAA. Word from Whitten is that they think it'll be about a month. No clue what the NCAA is going to do. Question is, do they count the games he's sitting around now as part of his suspension? They should, if he can't play...

3rd Coast Tiger
September 7th, 2006, 09:23 AM
It's called balancing out the schedule when you play two I-A schools. Thanks to PVA&M not having the equivalencies a year ago, we were able to get that game against Houston.

We're just like every other I-AA that schedules a sub-division foe. It balances out the schedule. It's like the I-As that play a I-AA. Another home game that you pay out for someone to come in.

Unfortunately, the PVA&M's of the world wouldn't know that, because they strictly play sub Div I foes in their OOC this year (Paul Quinn and Edward Waters) just as they did the year before (AT Lincoln and vs Paul Quinn).

Now explain me this, how was it that a team turns over the ball SIX times and still beats the Panthers? xcoffeex

The Boll Weevils?

http://www.ivyhall.district96.k12.il.us/4TH/KKHP/1insects/bugpix/bollweevCU.JPEG

I don't think I'll be eating rice for a while.

McNeese75
September 7th, 2006, 11:43 AM
The Boll Weevils?

http://www.ivyhall.district96.k12.il.us/4TH/KKHP/1insects/bugpix/bollweevCU.JPEG

I don't think I'll be eating rice for a while.

Rice huh, Not sure about that but I would sure stay away from the cotton bolls (where you find these critters) :D

Panther88
September 7th, 2006, 01:54 PM

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Balancing out the schedule.... Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iight. :thumbsup: tee-hee-hee-heeeeeee :smiley_wi

At any rate, we have history w/ those NAIA squads so it's only right that we continue in some sort to play them. :) We're not @ a level of competitivity where we can schdule ou, txa&m, ut-austin, etc.

They beat us because they have a better squad, talent, coaching, fans, band lol, campus, et al. We're attempting to undo 35+ yrs of athletic futility and non-caring. It's not going to happen overnight. Maybe if we offered a txfer QB the option to work @ a car dealership he'd come running to us too! xlolx Ol' Buckalew! xlolx

slycat
September 7th, 2006, 02:58 PM
The application for reinstatement has been filed. It comes down to the NCAA. Word from Whitten is that they think it'll be about a month. No clue what the NCAA is going to do. Question is, do they count the games he's sitting around now as part of his suspension? They should, if he can't play...

thanks. i was wondering if he was going to be able to play this weekend before the decision was made by the NCAA.

PMB4Life
September 7th, 2006, 05:53 PM
We're attempting to undo 35+ yrs of athletic futility and non-caring. It's not going to happen overnight.

I was under the impression that back in the day when PVAMU was losing 80 in a row people cared about PVA&M during the fall until after halftime. If that's not the case, I feel disenchanted. Why wouldn't at least watch one of the best bands in the country?

TexasTerror
September 7th, 2006, 07:01 PM
At any rate, we have history w/ those NAIA squads so it's only right that we continue in some sort to play them. :) We're not @ a level of competitivity where we can schdule ou, txa&m, ut-austin, etc.

Or any I-AA schools outside of the SWAC...:read:

patssle
September 7th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Did a little shoot with Derrick Harris today for the videoboard Intro. Threw this together 8)

http://www.shsu.edu/~stdpss12/stuff/harris1.jpg

http://www.shsu.edu/~stdpss12/stuff/harris2.jpg

http://www.shsu.edu/~stdpss12/stuff/harris3.jpg

GeauxLions94
September 7th, 2006, 10:46 PM

I wouldn't go there PVAMU fan! :nono: :nono: :nono: I specifically remember you guys backing out of a game against us in 2004, at your place no less, after our first-year team that was not carrying the full 63 schollies at that time, put 64 on the board.

Panther88
September 7th, 2006, 10:55 PM
I wouldn't go there PVAMU fan! :nono: :nono: :nono: I specifically remember you guys backing out of a game against us in 2004, at your place no less, after our first-year team that was not carrying the full 63 schollies at that time, put 64 on the board.

Stop the diversions. BTW GL94, we were carrying a grand old 15 schollies during that time. So, why would we want to bring you to our place and allow you to thrash us? Eh? Huh? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? :cool:

I asked a legit question that backed TT into a corner. He stated one thing earlier this year and now his own squad is doing what he said he was dreadfully against. xidiotx TT knows that we have zero history or desire for SHSU. Nothing that pleases the alums there.

TexasTerror
September 8th, 2006, 07:54 AM
Never fear guys, Panther88 is acting like the old President at his rival school, Priscilla Slade...going in circles about facts and figures...

My remarks were about PVA&M playing strictly sub-Div I foes OOC and typically, some of these games are on the road. Who'd ever think of a I-AA that is scholarshiped and traveling to a Div II or NAIA?!?! It's unheard of, but a typical tradition for that of Panther88 and the Panthers!

When limited with two OOC games, you should atleast play some quality I-AA competition. I don't think there's any other institution in I-AA, not even the SWAC that plays strictly sub Div I-AA games at such a high percentage (ussually 100%) for their OOC...

TexasTerror
September 8th, 2006, 09:04 AM
UAM Game Notes:

http://www.uamont.edu/athletics/Football/gmnotes/week2notes.pdf

exbearkat
September 8th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Question is, do they count the games he's sitting around now as part of his suspension?
They will.

Panther88
September 8th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Never fear guys, Panther88 is acting like the old President at his rival school, Priscilla Slade...going in circles about facts and figures...

My remarks were about PVA&M playing strictly sub-Div I foes OOC and typically, some of these games are on the road. Who'd ever think of a I-AA that is scholarshiped and traveling to a Div II or NAIA?!?! It's unheard of, but a typical tradition for that of Panther88 and the Panthers!

When limited with two OOC games, you should atleast play some quality I-AA competition. I don't think there's any other institution in I-AA, not even the SWAC that plays strictly sub Div I-AA games at such a high percentage (ussually 100%) for their OOC...

Stop trying to spin this and straighten up before I smack you while you're acting like your current airheaded prezy of these un-united states! *SMACK* *SMACK* :thumbsup: Don't back off your words. I know precisely what you said.

Unfortunately, the word "kinship" means nothing to you or others. We were playing PQ and their place, our place, your place lol, or anywhere else WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY before SHSU ever THOUGHT of inviting lil' ol' PVAMU to their sandbox for a little gridiron play. :nonono2: "Kinship" is stronger than I-AA. Hell, we didn't even maintain enough schollies @ one point to classify us as Div II. xlolx

Since you have the "master" plan to build and maintain a competitive I-AA program that's been doormat status and dormant for the last 35 years AND your plan is 101% full-proof, please let me be your agent so we can make cajillions off of it! :bow: Maybe we can modify it and sell it to the USA so it can finally end the threatrical floor-show of pretending to attempt to find osama. :)

TexasTerror
September 8th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Since you have the "master" plan to build and maintain a competitive I-AA program that's been doormat status and dormant for the last 35 years AND your plan is 101% full-proof, please let me be your agent so we can make cajillions off of it! :bow: Maybe we can modify it and sell it to the USA so it can finally end the threatrical floor-show of pretending to attempt to find osama. :)

In football, four playoff trips since the Kats went I-AA...including recent trips since 2001 to the quarterfinals and finals...PVA&M hasn't finished higher than fourth in the SWAC since when? One of the lowest rated conferences in what, I-AA??? You have got to remember, the Kats have not even been I-AA for 35 years. In fact, it's more like twenty years which is probably equal to the amount of wins the Panthers have had in the last twenty years...

As it relates to the SLC, the Kats have won the last two Commish Cups for overall athletic performance and have topped the SLC in GPA recently at the same time...can PVA&M claim such status in their own, less competitive (SLC RPI tops SWAC's in every sport) conference?

Though our teams don't play much, recent results include this past week's SHSU 11-0 win over Prairie View A&M in soccer...SWAC soccer is pretty ugly though as new Div I program UCA even rattled UAPB 12-0 setting all sorts of records last weekend and I saw Alcorn St fall to an NAIA Loyola squad...

Go back to smack-talking your fellow SWAC-ites. They'll pummel your program on the field, just like that awful Texas Southern team did last week...

3rd Coast Tiger
September 8th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Never fear guys, Panther88 is acting like the old President at his rival school, Priscilla Slade...going in circles about facts and figures......

I'm telling you.... leave that situation out of this. What does it have to do with I-AA football?

3rd Coast Tiger
September 8th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Go back to smack-talking your fellow SWAC-ites. They'll pummel your program on the field, just like that awful Texas Southern team did last week...

There you go with that Texas Southern hard on again. Do you love us that much?

Panther88
September 8th, 2006, 11:37 AM
In football, four playoff trips since the Kats went I-AA...including recent trips since 2001 to the quarterfinals and finals...PVA&M hasn't finished higher than fourth in the SWAC since when? One of the lowest rated conferences in what, I-AA??? You have got to remember, the Kats have not even been I-AA for 35 years. In fact, it's more like twenty years which is probably equal to the amount of wins the Panthers have had in the last twenty years...

As it relates to the SLC, the Kats have won the last two Commish Cups for overall athletic performance and have topped the SLC in GPA recently at the same time...can PVA&M claim such status in their own, less competitive (SLC RPI tops SWAC's in every sport) conference?

Though our teams don't play much, recent results include this past week's SHSU 11-0 win over Prairie View A&M in soccer...SWAC soccer is pretty ugly though as new Div I program UCA even rattled UAPB 12-0 setting all sorts of records last weekend and I saw Alcorn St fall to an NAIA Loyola squad...

I think there's a dissertation up there ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ somewhere! :hurray: xlolx

Stop diverting dooooooooooooooooooood! U know what you said and I know what U said and now you want to play strom thurmond on us. :nono: Get back in here and cover your back!

TexasTerror
September 8th, 2006, 11:44 AM
I think there's a dissertation up there ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ somewhere! :hurray: xlolx

Stop diverting dooooooooooooooooooood! U know what you said and I know what U said and now you want to play strom thurmond on us. :nono: Get back in here and cover your back!

I knew we were going to play a sub-Div I foe. We always do. I can't remember a season in recent memory where we didn't. In fact, every season we've been I-AA, we've atleast played one, typically Angelo St in the early days of our I-AA existence. I knew this then, I knew it now...

Fact of the matter is, we've played I-AA schools and not run like PVA&M who typically plays non-Div I schools with each non-conference game they play. SHSU, unlike PVA&M plays I-AAs (heck, we played more OOC I-AAs in 2004 than PVA&M probably has in ten years!). PVA&M can keep away from I-As because that'd bring back memories of UH's thrashing of Eastern Washington in the early 90s, but come on now. Why won't PVA&M play I-AAs? The SELA experiment failed as noted...but now you guys are up to par scholarship-level, let's have at it!

TexasTerror
September 9th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Game day articles from the Huntsville side of things...

Bearkat Gameday: Who can catch the Muffin Man?

Andrew Audelin has been waiting for his chance to be the Bearkats’ primary running back
Cody Stark
Assistant Sports Editor

His entire life, Andrew Audelin has had to deal with being a small guy playing a sport most people associate with giants — football.

At 5-foot-7, 190-pounds, Audelin is usually going to be the smallest guy on the field. But that hasn’t stopped the Sam Houston State running back from chasing after his dreams.

He has faced taunting from opposing teams every since he took up the sport, and he has a message for those who might take his abilities for granted on account of his stature.

“It’s the size of the fight in the dog,” Audelin said. “It’s been like that my whole life. Being not the biggest guy on the field, I have had to go out and prove that I can play this game. I take it to heart and use my size as an advantage.”

http://www.itemonline.com/sports/local_story_252015639.html
--------------
Coaches Corner: Boll Weevils strong on both offense and defense
Cody Stark
Assistant Sports Editor

HI: What is the reason for scheduling a game with Division II Arkansas-Monticello?

TW: You always try to get a home opener, that’s important. Oftentimes, bringing in a Division II school is the best way to get that done. It seems to get harder and harder to fill out a schedule every year. We are glad Arkansas-Monticello is coming here, and I think they will have a good football team.

HI: Wade Pate is the starting quarterback heading into the season, will anybody else get a chance to take some snaps today?

TW: I don’t know. We are just going to see how it goes. We are expecting a hard-fought game. Wade is our starting quarterback, and if things are tight, he will be the only guy that plays. We just have to wait and see.

http://www.itemonline.com/sports/local_story_252015433.html

TexasTerror
September 9th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Pre-game show in progress!

Join the action:

http://www.tsrnsports.com/Broadcast/Broad-U-Sam-Houston.htm

TexasTerror
September 9th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Bearkats take the opening kickoff into UAM territory...

Audelin's first run gets the Kats a first down...

Pate hits Audelin on the first pass play and get the ball to the AM19...

Audelin already making an impact!

Pate hits MICHAEL MALONE! TOUCHDOWN BEARKATS!!!!!!!!

First Quarter
SHSU: Wade Pate 19 yard pass to Michael Malone (Pearcy kick - Wide Left), 14:02, SHSU 6-0 UAM

TexasTerror
September 9th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Kats hit Audelin again (from Pate) for a first down on 3rd and 3...

Pate picks up seven yards on first down and then hits Perry for another Bearkats first down...Kats into the red zone...

Pate hits Malone in the end zone, but he couldn't hold on...

9:09 left in the first quarter and UAM takes a time out...

TexasTerror
September 9th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Pate gets a 3rd and 10 pass to Blake Martin to the UAM2...UAM pass interference on the play, but it doesn't matter...

1st and goal...Kats...Audelin runs two yards for the score!

Unofficial Scoring Summary

First Quarter
SHSU: Wade Pate 19 yard pass to Michael Malone (Pearcy kick - Wide Left), SHSU 6-0 UAM, 14:02,
SHSU: Andrew Audelin two yard run (Pearcy kick), SHSU 13-0 UAM, 8:51

TexasTerror
September 9th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Kats continue to get good field position in large part due to their defense...

For the first time, the Kats will have to punt it from their own 42...

Curtis Parks punts to the UAM19 and the Kats stop UAM at the UAM38...

TexasTerror
September 9th, 2006, 06:34 PM
UAM has a third and long from their own 36...can't convert and the radio signal goes out via the 'Net...

Comes back and the Kats take the ball on the punt at the SH28 after rolling and rolling...33 ticks left in the first quarter...

Audelin gets the first down on another nice run by the Kats RB...end of quarter...

TexasTerror
September 9th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Bearkats 119 yards to UAM's 24 yards in the first quarter...

First play of the quarter, hits local product Justin Wells then Pate keeps it and crosses into UAM territory for a first down on the next play...

Audelin picks up another nine yards...Pate hits Audelin on a screen and he picks up another first down...it's all Audelin, all the time!

Kats continue moving up with a Christian pass. First penalty against the Kats all season comes in the second quarter...

Kats on fourth and 5 from the UAM20...Pate hits MALONE! TOUCHDOWN BEARKATS! His second TD pass to Malone today!

First Quarter
SHSU: Wade Pate 19 yard pass to Michael Malone (Pearcy kick - Wide Left), SHSU 6-0 UAM, 14:02,

Second Quarter
SHSU: Pate 20 yard pass to Malone (Pearcy kick), SHSU 20-0 UAM, 11:02

TexasTerror
September 9th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Delay of game on UAM...

Kats continuing to put pressure on the Boll Weevils. 3rd and 13 for UAM and Ed Jackson is there for the Kats, getting the stop. Ed Jackson's family always makes a lot of noise when the name is announced. I'll miss that about Bearkat games, seeing the Jackson family reaction...

Kats have Catron Houston back and the punt finds it's way to the 50 yard line...Kats get it at the UAM49...

20-0 Kats on top...

TexasTerror
September 9th, 2006, 06:56 PM
UAM takes back over...

Ed Jackson and Luke McCall sack the Boll Weevils QB...

Boll Weevils hit a deep one and have the ball into Kats territory...3rd and 11 now for the Boll Weevils. Another McCall stop...incomplete pass and UAM is going to have to go for the FG...

A UAM field goal attempt hits the crossbar...that was Ryan Guardia...no good...

4:42 left in first half...

TexasTerror
September 9th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Malone continues to be involved for the Kats...Pate hits him for a first-down pass...

A few plays later on 3rd and 5, Pate hits Blake Martin into UAM territory...to the UAM28...

Audelin gets another seven, eight yards...Malone catches another pass to the UAM5...

Pate hits Powledge and he fumbles the ball into the end zone...UAM recovers...officials are talking..radio folks say he hit the pylon...touchback...UAM ball at the 20...

TexasTerror
September 9th, 2006, 07:10 PM
UAM in business now...

On the brink of coming into the red zone...3rd and 4 with 12 seconds left, UAM throws an incomplete pass...another stop by the secondary...three seconds left...

33 yard FG attempt by Ryan Guardia, good...

First Quarter

Second Quarter
SHSU: Pate 20 yard pass to Malone (Pearcy kick), SHSU 20-0 UAM, 11:02
UAM: Ryan Guardia 33 YD FG, SHSU 20-3 UAM, 0:00

TexasTerror
September 9th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Second half begins...

Kats kickoff to UAM...UAM goes three and out...

SHSU takes back over...13:42 3rd quarter...

TexasTerror
September 9th, 2006, 07:45 PM
I'm heading out folks...

Got to be a youth group advisor...Kats hit Malone again for a TD...27-3 Bearkats!

TexasTerror
September 10th, 2006, 01:23 AM
Kats win 41-3...

Wade Pate passed for 259 yards and three touchdowns all to wide receiver Michael Malone as Sam Houston State opened the 2006 football season with a non-conference victory over Arkansas-Monticello Saturday at Bowers Stadium.

Pate found Malone in the left hand corner of the end zone for a 19-yard scoring strike on the third play of the game. The Bearkats never looked back as they rolled up 439 yards total offense while limiting the Boll Weevils to 138 total yards.

Pate completed 22 of 30 passes and did not give up an interception. Malone led Bearkat receivers with six catches for 99 yards. Andrew Audelin rushed for 58 yards and a touchdown and caught six passes for 49 yards.

The Bearkat defense, led by Byran Richmond and Shane Richburg, each with six stops, recovered three fumbles and intercepted two passes.

Audelin scored on a one-yard touchdown with 8:51 left in the first quarter. Pate hit Malone again for a 20-yard score with 11:02 in the second period. Malone caught a 23-yard scoring pass from Pate with 9:49 in the third period.

Backup quarterback Phillip Daugherty threw to Catron Houston for a 21-yard touchdown and freshman running back Chris Poullard tallied on a 38-yard run to complete scoring for the Bearkats.

http://bearkats.shsu.edu/football/uam.html

siugrad99
September 10th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Bomar should have to sit the season. You can't knowling take $ and then be rewarded by being able to play right away. If he doesn't lose a year of eligibility for this then it shows the NCAA is a mess. No consequence for his actions is pathetic.

TexasTerror
September 10th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Bomar should have to sit the season. You can't knowling take $ and then be rewarded by being able to play right away. If he doesn't lose a year of eligibility for this then it shows the NCAA is a mess. No consequence for his actions is pathetic.

Fine with me if Bomar sits the year. Would love to see him in action this year, but we still would get Rhett for two seasons. He'll be super sharp next fall for the Kats who will have an even more season WR corps. With the folks we'd get, them knowing Bomar will have two years with the Kats, I think we'll fill the holes created when we graduate quite a few in the secondary...

I think we just need to let it play out and we'll see what happens. I don't even think the NCAA knows what's going to happen with this one...

blackfordpu
September 10th, 2006, 05:27 PM

Why does every self-richous person have to bring this up on every Kats thread? This was about the game, not Bomar, who didn't even play. There is a thread for that topic if you want to continue :deadhorse:.

Back on topic. Very good game for the Kats who I thought could have played better. Hopefully it was just first game jitters.