PDA

View Full Version : U.S.A. Today Article on David Ball, and Santos

saint0917
September 5th, 2006, 09:17 AM
By Andy Gardiner, USA TODAY
David Ball routinely misplaces his wallet, car keys and cellphone — at the same time. He repeatedly out of gas because he never remembers to check the fuel gauge in his car.
But put Ball on a football field and he becomes as locked in. This focus has helped the University of New Hampshire senior evolve from an unwanted high school senior from small town Vermont into a legitimate NFL draft prospect who is within reach of breaking a handful of Division I-AA receiving records set 20 years ago by the player Ball emulated as a young athlete — the legendary Jerry Rice.

"I don't know much about him," admits Rice, who was inducted into the college football hall of fame this summer. "I'll have to pull this guy up on the internet now. You know, records were meant to be broken. If he breaks a lot of my records, I'll be the first to congratulate him."

New Hampshire opens the season Saturday at Northwestern and Ball's record chase will play out this fall against the backdrop of a run for the school's first national championship. The Wildcats, 11-2 a year ago, were ranked No. 1 in Street & Smith's and Lindy's preseason polls. The Wildcats return seven starters from an offense that averaged 42 points a game.

At the heart of that attack is Ball, a 6-2, 200 pound wide receiver who has caught 173 passes for 3,055 yards and 41 touchdowns the last two seasons. He is the active I-AA career leader in receiving yards and touchdowns, and could break three of Rice's career marks this fall.

New Hampshire's Ball looms large on small stage
(http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/atlantic10/2006-09-04-new-hampshire-ball_x.htm)

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 5th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Thanks Saint for posting the article!!

saint0917
September 5th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Thanks Saint for posting the article!!

No problem. Santos has been a nice surprise for UNH, And what can you say about Ball, the guy is just amazing.:nod: :thumbsup:

Wildcatcoaster
September 5th, 2006, 12:53 PM
As a Northwestern fan I'm getting progressively more worried about this game... what's the best way to shut these guys down?

Umass74
September 5th, 2006, 01:18 PM
As a Northwestern fan I'm getting progressively more worried about this game... what's the best way to shut these guys down?

Don't want to worry you more, but no one's done it yet!

saint0917
September 5th, 2006, 01:24 PM
... what's the best way to shut these guys down?

Kidnap them? I don't think you can shut them down. Ball and Santos killed Umass last year.

putter
September 5th, 2006, 01:32 PM

Have Ball hurt his ankle again. That is the only thing I can think of.

Wildcatcoaster
September 5th, 2006, 03:47 PM
This could be a very high scoring game......

Russ B
September 5th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Don't want to worry you more, but no one's done it yet!

UCDavis came close last year: Box score. (http://ucdavisaggies.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2005-2006/sep03.html)

Keep them off the field (note the time of possession) and don't lose the game late in the 4th quarter (two TDs? Bah. *grumble* :().

tribe_pride
September 5th, 2006, 04:33 PM

Play them when it is raining really hard all day. :D

W&M-UNH 2005 game (http://tribeathletics.com/story.php/3872/)

Umass74
September 5th, 2006, 04:33 PM
It shows how good they are when 336 yards passing for Santos and 9-137 yards for Ball is an off day...

Russ B
September 5th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Yep. I think the trick is not to worry about their numbers, per se, worry about keeping them from scoring. It's a trite observation, but the game is won/lost on scores, not yardage. :)

GaSouthern
September 5th, 2006, 04:35 PM
UCDavis came close last year: Box score. (http://ucdavisaggies.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2005-2006/sep03.html)

Keep them off the field (note the time of possession) and don't lose the game late in the 4th quarter (two TDs? Bah. *grumble* :().

wow that was a game

Umass74
September 5th, 2006, 04:40 PM
That last drive by UNH must have been something. 85 yards in 56 seconds to win the game. People (on both sides) must have been peeing in their pants. :rotateh:

Sam Adams
September 5th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Santos & Ball were simply amazing last year in Amherst. UMass played a helluva a good game that day, but those two were literally something else. Even though we were dissappointed with losing, it was a great football game and we all applauded UNH for the show they put on. They had an excellent offensive line last season as well. They should give NW a good competative game.

aust42
September 5th, 2006, 06:12 PM
I was at Delaware two years ago when Santo's stepped into his 1st game after the starting QB was injured. He lit us up that day and the following week threw for 300+ against Rutgers. Santo's and Ball are the real deal and both will have opportunities at the next level. I'm very upset that I have a wedding to attend when they visit Newark again this year.

PantherRob82
September 5th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Santos and Ball are rediculous, but fortunately for you it's a team game. While I would like to see them beat NW, they probably won't due to lacking a good enough defense to stop them.

UNH 40
September 5th, 2006, 07:27 PM

I played with him for 2 years and watched him all last year. There is a simple answer to your question? there isn't a way really to shut him down, I have never seen it happen, he has the best hands of any player in college football regardless of division. The other thing to be worried about this young man and Santos is that they always rises to the occasion... alla last years 9 catch for 199yds and 4 TD's against the best defense in I-AA.

aust42
September 5th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Well New Hampshire should give us 1AA fans legitimate hope for another big upset. I think New Hampshire will score 20+ points but it's always 1AA's lack of size on the defensive side of the ball that might give away too much. Go New Hampshire!

UNH 1999
September 5th, 2006, 08:49 PM

kidnap Ball and Santos prior to game time? i think that's the only way you'll shut them down. :D

Wildcatcoaster
September 5th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Hope that will slow them down....

Maybe we need to water down the field whether it rains or not. I like NU's chances in a slugfest in the trenches better.

Two other questions:

1. How is the UNH Defense?

2. How did they get destroyed by William & Mary?

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 5th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Hope that will slow them down....

Maybe we need to water down the field whether it rains or not. I like NU's chances in a slugfest in the trenches better.

Two other questions:

1. How is the UNH Defense?

2. How did they get destroyed by William & Mary?

I too would like Northwestern's chances with a slugfest in the tenches! UNH has to stay out of that type of game IMHO.

Ironically, "NU" is also Northeastern from our conference!! And IIRC you guys play them next season. And speaking of Northeastern, didn't UNH play them in the rain in 2005? And URI in the rain too? Of course, both games were in Durham, but they were big wins in the rain.

As for #1, UNH has lost seven starters on D. From what I've read, this year's unit has better size, speed and athleticism. Time will tell if they will be as cohesive a unit as last year's. In general, the past two years has seen a bend but don't break defense that also wins the turnover battle. Within I-AA they've excelled at fumbles and interceptions going their way more times than not.

2. Of all the A-10 teams, UNH has the worst record vs. W&M. Historically, we just don't seem to play well against them. In 2004 in a mud bowl in Durham, W&M had a better kicker and got three FGs. UNH got a TD, but missed three FGs -- W&M 9 UNH 7. In 2005, it rained hard in Williamsburg but the field held up extremely well. W&M ran back the opening kick, built an early lead and was off to the races. I didn't see that game so I can't provide much more than these generalities. Maybe 90 or 4SF will add some details. It was a thumping for sure!

I'm really looking forward to seeing the game Saturday. And I'm sure as heck hoping that UNH doesn't bring that W&M funk game!! Are you going to the game Coaster?

rcny46
September 6th, 2006, 12:02 AM
Santos & Ball were simply amazing last year in Amherst. UMass played a helluva a good game that day, but those two were literally something else. Even though we were dissappointed with losing, it was a great football game and we all applauded UNH for the show they put on. They had an excellent offensive line last season as well. They should give NW a good competative game.

I agree with you on the quality of last year's offensive line.This season's version will have four new starters,so time will tell as to how well they come together as a unit.I think the potential is there for another top notch group.

rcny46
September 6th, 2006, 12:15 AM

Northwestern may have its problems with Santos and Ball,but after watching your game against Miami of Ohio,I think UNH will have their hands full with Sutton and Jordan.They were both impressive.Your QB,Kafka,also runs well,and overall,passed well too;he will only get better in that department IMHO.Good luck!

Wildcatcoaster
September 6th, 2006, 01:06 PM
that neither team will stop the other...

I'll buy that -- although NUs D was better than expected at Miami and our O was worse.

Yes, I'll be at the game, though I won't show my face if UNH puts up 35+ points, which is possible.