PDA

View Full Version : AppState/McNeese Cancel Series

superman7515
May 3rd, 2013, 03:38 PM
http://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/football/article_ce0fe452-b3ad-11e2-a635-001a4bcf6878.html

Appalachian State will not play McNeese State in football in 2014 and 2015 as originally planned.

The home-and-home series was canceled on Wednesday. Mike Flynn, ASU’s sports-information director, said that no buyout was required because of a clause that specified that the contract would not be binding if either program moved from the Football Championship Subdivision to the Football Bowl Subdivision.

The Mountaineers are in the process of moving to the FBS, and will be member of the Sun Belt Conference in 2014.

Campbell will be added as a home opponent in 2014 for the Mountaineers, who will seek to add two nonconference games against FBS opponents, including one at home, in addition to its 2014 Sun Belt lineup of games....

Sammy94
May 3rd, 2013, 04:48 PM
This is typical of a FBS move. Teams don't want to play a FCS team that can beat them. Texas State did the same thing with Sam.

CID1990
May 3rd, 2013, 05:25 PM
Campbell? Seriously?

Sent from the center of the universe.

AppAlum2003
May 3rd, 2013, 05:28 PM
The Campbell game was already scheduled for 2014 - non-issue. I have no problem with this move. It gives us one more home game during our inaugural FBS season that will already include Michigan and a full Sunbelt slate.

CID1990
May 3rd, 2013, 05:57 PM
The Campbell game was already scheduled for 2014 - non-issue. I have no problem with this move. It gives us one more home game during our inaugural FBS season that will already include Michigan and a full Sunbelt slate.

Oh I thought it was replacing McNeese

Sent from the center of the universe.

superman7515
May 3rd, 2013, 09:09 PM
Oh I thought it was replacing McNeese

That is what it looks like in the article because they said Campbell will be added, as if it hadn't been a done deal until recently. Maybe some poor choice in wording by the author.

GAD
May 3rd, 2013, 09:21 PM
Could they have given McNeese the option to change the location of the game? Superdome, Independence Bowl, Reliant Stadium

T-Dog
May 3rd, 2013, 10:39 PM
On the surface it does look bad, but since we'll be a full Sun Belt member in 2014, we're not going to travel to an FCS school, especially since we're going to play two teams of serious local intrest in home and homes beggining that year.

I really wanted to go to McNeese, but it just wasn't feasible with what we want to do scheduling-wise. It's a growing pain.

And yes, the McNeese/Montana/App State contracts had a clause that if any team went to FBS, there would be no buy-out penalty for cancelling. Saves us 500k.

BisonFan02
May 3rd, 2013, 10:42 PM
I'd be down for a McNeese roadtrip/home n' home.

asumike83
May 3rd, 2013, 10:59 PM
http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=207522962

Here is the App news release. Campbell game was already scheduled for the week after Michigan which quite honestly, we are probably going to need.

McNeese contract had a clause that it could be canceled without fee if either school went FBS. Will be replaced with an FBS game.

walliver
May 4th, 2013, 07:33 AM
I wonder if Campbell will stay on the schedule.

In 2004, ASU (and GSU) will be full members of the SBC, but not full members of FBS and ineligible for a bowl game. The fact that Campbell is a non-counter really doesn't enter into the equation.

On the other hand, many fans of both schools hope for a waiver in 2014 to allow participation if either school wins the SBC (not likely, but not impossible). The presence of Campbell on the schedule would probably be a good excuse for the NCAA to deny ASU.

ThompsonThe
May 5th, 2013, 01:11 PM
I wonder if Campbell will stay on the schedule.

In 2004, ASU (and GSU) will be full members of the SBC, but not full members of FBS and ineligible for a bowl game. The fact that Campbell is a non-counter really doesn't enter into the equation.

On the other hand, many fans of both schools hope for a waiver in 2014 to allow participation if either school wins the SBC (not likely, but not impossible). The presence of Campbell on the schedule would probably be a good excuse for the NCAA to deny ASU.

Yeah, the NCAA probably would think App State nuts and deny us for playing Michigan one week and then Campbell. Smart. Really smart.
Concerning McNeese State ..... why play a home and home for free when App State could make $1,000,000 for adding a game like Michigan instead?
$2,000,000 if you consider the two games.

slycat
May 5th, 2013, 01:25 PM
This is typical of a FBS move. Teams don't want to play a FCS team that can beat them. Texas State did the same thing with Sam.

Huh? We played you in 2011 as an independent and lost. We never cancelled a game against you. All conference games were removed once we left the Southland.

Saint3333
May 5th, 2013, 01:36 PM
2014 we are not bowl eligible but would be eligible for a conference title game. While unlikely it would be nice to have that to shoot for.

Accelerati Incredibilus
May 5th, 2013, 05:34 PM
App will be playing a FBS schedule with only 1 recruiting class geared to that level. I have no problem with Campbell considering we go to Michigan and play a full SB slate. Why some are trying to make a big deal out of this is beyond me. It is much ado about nothing.

whoanellie
May 5th, 2013, 09:09 PM
but Campbell? really?

AppMan
May 5th, 2013, 09:38 PM
but Campbell? really?

West Virginia Wesleyan? Really?

McNeese75
May 5th, 2013, 10:23 PM
On the surface it does look bad, but since we'll be a full Sun Belt member in 2014, we're not going to travel to an FCS school, especially since we're going to play two teams of serious local intrest in home and homes beggining that year.

I really wanted to go to McNeese, but it just wasn't feasible with what we want to do scheduling-wise. It's a growing pain.

And yes, the McNeese/Montana/App State contracts had a clause that if any team went to FBS, there would be no buy-out penalty for cancelling. Saves us 500k.

Complete idiotic move on the McNeese leadership's part to agree to this clause in the first place xsmhx

Sammy94
May 6th, 2013, 07:58 AM
Huh? We played you in 2011 as an independent and lost. We never cancelled a game against you. All conference games were removed once we left the Southland.

I know for a fact that Texas State dropped us (a home game) for an away Navy game last year.

TheRevSFA
May 6th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Eh it is what happens. App State would look better hosting McNeese than Campbell..but obviously they don't want to be beat by a FCS team, so they had to put a cupcake on the schedule.

Saint3333
May 6th, 2013, 09:36 AM
I doubt McNeese would come to Boone after we were canceling the game down there. App would gladly host McNeese, I'm sure they didn't feel the same though. Both parties backed out of the trips when it comes down to it.

Apphole
May 6th, 2013, 09:49 AM
obviously they don't want to be beat by a FCS team, so they had to put a cupcake on the schedule.

xlolx Yeah...Right

ASUMountaineer
May 6th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Eh it is what happens. App State would look better hosting McNeese than Campbell..but obviously they don't want to be beat by a FCS team, so they had to put a cupcake on the schedule.

Again, the Campbell game was already on the schedule. The press release said we would add another FBS game, not play two FCS games.

TheRevSFA
May 6th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Again, the Campbell game was already on the schedule. The press release said we would add another FBS game, not play two FCS games.

Great, so you kept the weaker of the two teams..

Again, App didn't want to get beat by McNeese.

asumike83
May 6th, 2013, 10:31 AM

We kept the home gate, plain and simple. With no buyout involved due to the clause added to the contract back in 2009, it would have been silly to play at McNeese for a second FCS game instead of scheduling an FBS opponent.

It would have been an every dumber decision to pay Campbell to cancel their contract, give up the home revenue and have a road game with McNeese as the one FCS game.

ASUMountaineer
May 6th, 2013, 10:39 AM

Why do you assume that McNeese would rather play the game in Boone rather than play a home game? Why would App cancel the Campbell game to replace it with McNeese (or another team)? Is it possible that the Campbell game has a buyout when the McNeese game didn't?

It seems that canceling the Campbell game is creating a solution for a nonexistent problem. As Mike said, why make a dumb a decision, when the solution is so easy and much more cost-effective?

ASUMountaineer
May 6th, 2013, 10:40 AM
We kept the home gate, plain and simple. With no buyout involved due to the clause added to the contract back in 2009, it would have been silly to play at McNeese for a second FCS game instead of scheduling an FBS opponent.

It would have been an every dumber decision to pay Campbell to cancel their contract, give up the home revenue and have a road game with McNeese as the one FCS game.

Irrelevant.

I think I got that right...

TheRevSFA
May 6th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Why do you assume that McNeese would rather play the game in Boone rather than play a home game? Why would App cancel the Campbell game to replace it with McNeese (or another team)? Is it possible that the Campbell game has a buyout when the McNeese game didn't?

It seems that canceling the Campbell game is creating a solution for a nonexistent problem.

You can keep saying it, but it doesn't make it true (or even reasonable). xthumbsupx

Damn it man. Quit ruining my attempt to stir **** up. I'm going on vacation next week, so this week is going to be a long one, so I'm trying to amuse myself in any way possible to help pass the time.

chattownmocs
May 6th, 2013, 11:25 AM
How much is App State paying Campbell? Is Campbell renegotiating for a bigger pay day now that App is FBS?

ASUMountaineer
May 6th, 2013, 11:30 AM
Damn it man. Quit ruining my attempt to stir **** up. I'm going on vacation next week, so this week is going to be a long one, so I'm trying to amuse myself in any way possible to help pass the time.

xlolx

My bad.

asumike83
May 6th, 2013, 11:33 AM
How much is App State paying Campbell? Is Campbell renegotiating for a bigger pay day now that App is FBS?

Not sure what the payout is. I know Coastal got $100K last year, I'd imagine it is in that range.

slycat
May 6th, 2013, 04:16 PM
I know for a fact that Texas State dropped us (a home game) for an away Navy game last year.

I wouldn't doubt it but can't say I'm upset that it got us a home and home with Navy.

Sammy94
May 7th, 2013, 07:56 AM
I wouldn't doubt it but can't say I'm upset that it got us a home and home with Navy

I agree, plus a loss to Navy won't look as bad as one to Sam. My point was this happens all the time when teams move up. Sam got a big pay day (A&M) out of the deal so it wasn't that bad for Sam (except on the scoreboard) either.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 7th, 2013, 09:32 AM
I agree, plus a loss to Navy won't look as bad as one to Sam.

The funny thing is Sam is better than Navy. I'd take them straight up over the Middies.

FormerPokeCenter
May 7th, 2013, 10:49 PM
I'm okay with App cancelling the games...I wish them well in the FBS and I won't be a bit surprised if they run the table in the Slumbelch...

Rekdiver
May 8th, 2013, 02:09 PM
We would like to replace Campbell with UNCC but they won't play us.

walliver
May 8th, 2013, 02:45 PM
We would like to replace Campbell with UNCC but they won't play us.

Why would a team from mighty C-USA want to play a SunBelt team :)

I don't think UNCC will win a lot of games in 2014

Apphole
May 8th, 2013, 02:49 PM
Why would a team from mighty C-USA want to play a SunBelt team :)
Sure they do! 8 of them did last year. Only two of them won....

I don't think UNCC will win a lot of games in 2014
Sure they will. Have you seen that schedule? If they don't.... Oh man that would be something. xlolx