PDA

View Full Version : I-AA Slips - Sept 5

TexasTerror
September 5th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Glad that Paul Johnson is keeping up with the ins and outs of the NCAA. Doesn't even know what division his team plays in and clearly doesn't know what division I-AA will become.

Q. Obviously there were several I-AA teams that beat I-A teams this past weekend, the most noticeable was Richmond beat Duke. Colorado lost to Montana State.

A. There is no more I-A and I-AA.

Q. What is it called now?

A. The Bowl Championship Series and something else, I don't know.

Q. The point you have made to us a lot in the past is that the upper level I-AA teams or whatever they are called now are pretty good.

A. Yeah, there's not that much difference. Maybe between the Top 10-15 teams in the country there's a big difference, but among most there's not a difference.

Q. I was just talking to Don Brown (UMass head coach) a few minutes ago and I made that point that you had said the Top 20 I-AA teams can beat the mid to lower level I-A teams and he said the only problem with that is that Navy is a Top 25 team.

A. Not in any polls that I've seen.

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=109&p=2&c=564699
-------------
Random thoughts from UTEP head coach, Mike Price...

"I'd rather be playing the University of San Diego than San Diego State, although the University of San Diego is a pretty darn good Division II school," Price joked, referring to the team coached by Jim Harbaugh, which is actually Division I-AA.

http://www.cumberlink.com/articles/2006/09/05/ap/sports/college/d8jr9d980.txt

cosmo here
September 5th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Glad that Paul Johnson is keeping up with the ins and outs of the NCAA. Doesn't even know what division his team plays in and clearly doesn't know what division I-AA will become.

I doubt a lot of coaches at either level know what I-A and I-AA will become, since the name isn't changing until December. They're coaching football right now. And honestly, the names don't make much sense anyways so it's hard to commit them to memory.