PDA

View Full Version : Note to JMU fans from an App

SoCon48
September 5th, 2006, 03:59 AM
Seriously for a moment: Sure some of your fans are slightly embarrassed that you guys didn't blow out D-2 Bloomsburg at home in Harrisonburg. The pluses:
1. In the end, you came away with the W. ASU did not.
2. Bloomsburg is a highly regarded/ranked D-2.
3. Your guys shouldn't be as banged up as badly as ours. Our backs spent most of the game either physically smashed by the Wolfpack defense or running for their lives. Our pass receivers were creamed whenever they were able to catch the ball almost without exception. Our linemen were out-weighed by as much as 344 against 255..

Appdad
September 5th, 2006, 03:27 PM
I think the close game helps the JMU coaching staff get the attention of their players.

I expect JMU to come into Boone as mean as if we kicked their dog.

It has the potential to be a great game and I am already nervous about it!

Appdad
September 5th, 2006, 03:36 PM
JMU fans, please come.

Boone is a great place to watch a football game and a great place to visit!

JMU99
September 5th, 2006, 03:50 PM
JMU fans, please come.

Boone is a great place to watch a football game and a great place to visit!

Ive been to Boone once, but it was a while ago. Aside from the game of course, any MUST SEE'S or MUST DO's while in town???

yoself09
September 5th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Grandfather Mt.
if you love BBQ eat at woodlands in blowing rock
(i think they sell at KBS though)
They won't have the ski mts up yet
if you have a family go to tweetsie railroad

AppGuy04
September 5th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Ive been to Boone once, but it was a while ago. Aside from the game of course, any MUST SEE'S or MUST DO's while in town???

Macados is a great restaurant for the younger crowd(20's) but is always crowded.

Woodlands is a great BBQ place right up the road in Blowing Rock.

Tweetsie Railroad is open, supposedly this is its last season, so catch it while you can.

aust42
September 5th, 2006, 06:23 PM
I'm gonna route for my fellow A-10 Dukes but if I had to be I'd take Ap State at home. I'm a Delaware Bluehen. We've had home/home series with the Citadel, Georgia Southern, and played Wofford in the playoffs. Sure would love a home/home series with Ap State.

blukeys
September 5th, 2006, 07:05 PM
I'm gonna route for my fellow A-10 Dukes but if I had to be I'd take Ap State at home. I'm a Delaware Bluehen. We've had home/home series with the Citadel, Georgia Southern, and played Wofford in the playoffs. Sure would love a home/home series with Ap State.

You'll have to get Mr. C's book due out later this year.

Kiss My Apps
September 5th, 2006, 09:23 PM

Rather than steer you to cheesy college hangouts or tourist traps, I recommend you take advantage of your time and check out:

Hebron Rock Colony, located about 15 minutes from campus.

http://k47.pbase.com/u43/ratsnest74/large/34344063.P9252744.jpg

If you have time, take a drive north on the Blue Ridge Parkway, stop at the parking lot immediately following the Linn Cove Viaduct (intersection of US 221 and the Parkway). Take a short hike up an easy trail to the Beacon Heights Overlook. Absolutely stunning views.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3170/1416/400/DSCF0024.jpg

ASU Kep
September 5th, 2006, 10:08 PM
lol...Hebron Rock Colony is THE cheesy hangout place for HS/College kids these days. Some gorgeous girls are always there, though.

I'd highly recommend the Blue Ridge Parkway and Grandfather if your into incredible views and such. If your into drinking, the Library/Flipside/Macados are the best for a young crowd. Murphy's is always interesting, too...

AppState
September 5th, 2006, 11:38 PM
[QUOTE=Kiss My Apps]Rather than steer you to cheesy college hangouts or tourist traps, I recommend you take advantage of your time and check out:
Hebron Rock Colony, located about 15 minutes from campus.
If you have time, take a drive north on the Blue Ridge Parkway, stop at the parking lot immediately following the Linn Cove Viaduct (intersection of US 221 and the Parkway). Take a short hike up an easy trail to the Beacon Heights Overlook. Absolutely stunning views.

Isn't that south of Linn-Cove? Or am I thinking of Tanawha Trail?

SoCon48
September 6th, 2006, 10:44 AM

Have your boys contact my boys. I think a Hen trip to Boone can be arranged. :>)

henfan
September 6th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Have your boys contact my boys. I think a Hen trip to Boone can be arranged. :>)

Won't happen until after 2011, as the Hens are booked solid until then.

SoCon48
September 6th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Won't happen until after 2011, as the Hens are booked solid until then.
Yep the West Chester series takes precident.:smiley_wi

MYTAPPY
September 6th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Supposedly this game is going to be packed out the wazoo.....(which is awesome, I can't wait) They are calling for a beautiful day with the high around 78. If you JMU folk are making a weekend out of it, you should definitely check out Blowing Rock (the town and attraction) and also scurry over to the Viaducts on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Game Day tip: JMU fans, you need to arrive as early as possible, and by early I mean 10 am. The two lots to soak in the best tailgating are Raley and Green lots. They fill up quick though.

All in all, you should find the game day experience in the High Country to be a pleasant one.

henfan
September 6th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Yep the West Chester series takes precident.:smiley_wi

I'm sure our AD would be glad to host the Apps every year at The Tub in lieu of WCUPA, assuming ASU would take the same guarantee UD's giving the Golden Rams. :nod:

The good news is that the UD's president, a WCUPA alum, is retiring next year. There's a chance the UD-WCUPA series could finally be put out of its misery after the contract expires in 2009, assuming they didn't renew for another 10 years!

89Hen
September 6th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Supposedly this game is going to be packed out the wazoo.....(which is awesome, I can't wait) They are calling for a beautiful day with the high around 78.
Do you guys to "black outs" in the stands in Boone or was I imagining that?

AppGuy04
September 6th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Do you guys to "black outs" in the stands in Boone or was I imagining that?

everyone is supposed to wear black on "Black Saturday"

goasu984Life
September 6th, 2006, 12:29 PM
f you have a family go to tweetsie railroad

NOOOOO!!!!!!! Don't tell anyone to go to Tweetsie with their family. Trust me, I worked there for a summer. I could tell some stories.

:D

FU97
September 6th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Seriously for a moment: Sure some of your fans are slightly embarrassed that you guys didn't blow out D-2 Bloomsburg at home in Harrisonburg. The pluses:
1. In the end, you came away with the W. ASU did not.
2. Bloomsburg is a highly regarded/ranked D-2.
3. Your guys shouldn't be as banged up as badly as ours. Our backs spent most of the game either physically smashed by the Wolfpack defense or running for their lives. Our pass receivers were creamed whenever they were able to catch the ball almost without exception. Our linemen were out-weighed by as much as 344 against 255..

Saw where Lynch took a heck of a shot from one of the RBs from NCST. What I saw looked pretty physical.

Mr. C
September 6th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Saw where Lynch took a heck of a shot from one of the RBs from NCST. What I saw looked pretty physical.
Lynch got even with a shot of his own on that guy later in the game.

yoself09
September 6th, 2006, 04:24 PM
NOOOOO!!!!!!! Don't tell anyone to go to Tweetsie with their family. Trust me, I worked there for a summer. I could tell some stories.

:D

do you know around what time they open the ghost train im prolly going to go there this year and i dont want it to sell out

psc2445
September 6th, 2006, 05:04 PM

its already made it to youtube.com and I watched it several times. Man he went flying. I remember that feeling of having a bad angle and not sure whether a large back was going to run out of bounds. You dont want to get a late hit, but you dont want to get punked either. catch 22. take it like a man, pop up and slap him on the helmet telling him good hit is the best way to go.

SoCon48
September 6th, 2006, 05:22 PM
its already made it to youtube.com and I watched it several times. Man he went flying. I remember that feeling of having a bad angle and not sure whether a large back was going to run out of bounds. You dont want to get a late hit, but you dont want to get punked either. catch 22. take it like a man, pop up and slap him on the helmet telling him good hit is the best way to go.

Believe me, there were a few noteworthy hits made on NC State players, too, as well as some un shown cheap shot late hits on Apps.

SoCon48
September 6th, 2006, 05:26 PM
I'm sure our AD would be glad to host the Apps every year at The Tub in lieu of WCUPA, assuming ASU would take the same guarantee UD's giving the Golden Rams. :nod:

The good news is that the UD's president, a WCUPA alum, is retiring next year. There's a chance the UD-WCUPA series could finally be put out of its misery after the contract expires in 2009, assuming they didn't renew for another 10 years!

On a serious note, the only way the two of us should play is a home and home with a heavy penalty if one backs out of their end. None of this crap of "we'll skip the agreement we made for next year's return visit but play you in two years instead" either.

HiHiYikas
September 6th, 2006, 05:32 PM
I just watched the youtube clip - from the descriptions I've read, I expected to see two guys running directly towards one another in entirely opposite directions. I expected to see Lynch squared up with his feet set and his body in a very stable position.

Looks a little like Lynch's own momentum and direction had as much to do with the flight path and length as anything else. Still, it was a good hit.

MYTAPPY
September 8th, 2006, 10:29 AM
You Dukes (Mayo) crowd might want to bring some sunscreen and sunglasses. The visitor side is blanketed with sunlight for half the game. They are calling for a high of 77 tomorrow. Just a heads up. Enjoy (while you can :p ) your stay in the High Country.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 8th, 2006, 10:43 AM
You Dukes (Mayo) crowd might want to bring some sunscreen and sunglasses. The visitor side is blanketed with sunlight for half the game. They are calling for a high of 77 tomorrow. Just a heads up. Enjoy (while you can :p ) your stay in the High Country.

I was afraid of that. Hopefully there will be some mountains or something blocking some of the suns rays by the afternoon. Oh well, here's to wishful thinking and hoping not to go blind :cool:

CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

SoCon48
September 8th, 2006, 10:48 AM

If you actually saw it, you'll notice that it was Lynch making the hit, and bounced off and up in one motion. Net effect: knocked Brown out of bounds, stopping the looong gain and preventing a TD down the sidelines, Lynch was unhurt.

Lynch didn't "take a shot"..he gave it. Sure he was bounced off to say the least by a larger man..but what they hey. Got credit for the tackle didn't he? Saved the run and TD didn't he? Ran off the field, didn't he.
Pardon my being defensive. But we took the wuffs best shots. Came out alive and so far ready for the Furmies to come to KBS in a few weeks.xcoffeex

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 8th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Pardon my being defensive. But we took the wuffs best shots. Came out alive and so far ready for the Furmies to come to KBS in a few weeks.xcoffeex

Thanks for looking ahead... We'll try to take advantage of that tomorrow. ;)

SoCon48
September 8th, 2006, 10:51 AM
I just watched the youtube clip - from the descriptions I've read, I expected to see two guys running directly towards one another in entirely opposite directions. I expected to see Lynch squared up with his feet set and his body in a very stable position.

Looks a little like Lynch's own momentum and direction had as much to do with the flight path and length as anything else. Still, it was a good hit.

You're right, Lynch could have timed it to hit Brown in the side instead of almost head on, but 1. Given up more precious yards 2. Risked entirely missing the tackle by increasing the angle.

SoCon48
September 8th, 2006, 11:08 AM

Not looking ahead.
1. I'm not the coach nor a player.
2. We fans look forward to certain conference games the most.
3. Tomorrow, the team and staff will be focused on one team..the team we are playing who just happens to be you Dukes of JMU.
4. You guys at this point look like our toughest I-AA opponnent. But if we should lose to you and still somehow win the SoCon, we'll still be in the front seat (maybe not the driver's seat but the frontseat no less..for the play-offs.
5. JMU--big game. It will tell us where we really are in '06 I-AA.

Get your Dukes just bring their best game. Leave the excuses, sandbagging, etc at home. Hopefully our fans will do the same.
Only valid excuse I can think of is the ROCK!!:hurray:

JMUfan2008
September 8th, 2006, 11:23 AM
I CAN NOT WAIT!!! I'm coming on the Student Duke Club bus so we'll be all fired up by the time we get there. I'm just hoping for a good game. If we play well and lose, I'm fine with that (dissapointed, but not mad). If we make a lot of mistakes and don't use the incredible talent we have, I'll be very angry. I think it's gonna be an exciting game either way and I'm glad the weather's gonna be good.

SoCon48
September 8th, 2006, 03:47 PM
I CAN NOT WAIT!!! I'm coming on the Student Duke Club bus so we'll be all fired up by the time we get there. I'm just hoping for a good game. If we play well and lose, I'm fine with that (dissapointed, but not mad). If we make a lot of mistakes and don't use the incredible talent we have, I'll be very angry. I think it's gonna be an exciting game either way and I'm glad the weather's gonna be good.

If we make a lot of mistakes and don't use the incredible talent we have, I'll be very angry

What if you just find out that talent isn't as great as you thought?:eek:

JMUfan2008
September 8th, 2006, 03:59 PM
If we make a lot of mistakes and don't use the incredible talent we have, I'll be very angry

What if you just find out that talent isn't as great as you thought?:eek:

All the coaches have been saying for the past 2 years is we have better talent than the year before. 2004<2005<2006 basically. Talent definitely isn't everything, seeing as how we won the NC in 2004 and didn't make it to the playoffs last year. We just need to let the right people have the right opportunities to make plays and I don't think we did that last week.

HiHiYikas
September 8th, 2006, 04:05 PM
That's simply a Furman-oriented post directed at a Furman fan. I don't anticipate that JMU's message board posters are going to be able to add many points to the Dukes' final score by taking advantage of a lack of focus on the part of ASU's message board posters, even if our online fans were already focusing 7 weeks out on Furman.;)

MYTAPPY
September 8th, 2006, 04:21 PM
I hope to see all you fellas bright and early tomorrow at tailgate.
Till then.............GO APPS!!:hurray:

SoCon48
September 8th, 2006, 05:31 PM

One of our key players can say it better than me.

M Murrell:
Now we are looking forward to playing JMU. This year they are coming to our house and we definitely do not want to lose that game. It’s a very big game because they were national champions in 2004 and we came after them in 2005, and because of that, this will be one of the most talked-about games of the season.
To me, this will be a Florida State versus Miami kind of game. We are just focusing now on being prepared and getting our plays together. Tomorrow, we’ll get suited up and get ready for a dogfight with the Dukes. As we practice and get stronger, I’ll feel really good about this game.

and

We’ve been hearing a lot about James Madison. They are really good, strong players. They were the National Champions in 2004 so we know that we need to take them very seriously.

SoCon48
September 8th, 2006, 05:34 PM

One of our key players can say it better than me.

M Murrell:
Now we are looking forward to playing JMU. This year they are coming to our house and we definitely do not want to lose that game. It’s a very big game because they were national champions in 2004 and we came after them in 2005, and because of that, this will be one of the most talked-about games of the season.
To me, this will be a Florida State versus Miami kind of game. We are just focusing now on being prepared and getting our plays together. Tomorrow, we’ll get suited up and get ready for a dogfight with the Dukes. As we practice and get stronger, I’ll feel really good about this game.

and

We’ve been hearing a lot about James Madison. They are really good, strong players. They were the National Champions in 2004 so we know that we need to take them very seriously.

Sound like he's taking it lightly?