PDA

View Full Version : TnState to the SWAC from OVC?

TexasTerror
September 4th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Quite a bit of talk surrounding OVC if the AD at Tennessee State is now talking about a look into the SWAC. I'm not familiar with how well TnSt competes across the board with the OVC, but is this move really worthwhile for them? Are they that successful or unsuccessful across the board in the OVC?

What's going to happen with Chatty and the OVC? How would the SWAC alter if they took in another school? Would we have a ten-game mandate?!???!? :bang:
----------
TSU athletics director Teresa Phillips said school president Dr. Melvin Johnson has asked that school officials study intercollegiate athletics at the school.

"They're going to study our conference affiliation and our stadium issue," Phillips said. "Should we try to build a stadium on our campus and make it 25,000-30,000 with sky boxes and move from LP Field and should we consider moving out of the OVC into the SWAC? We'll do that study over the next 6-to-9 months and that will tell us what direction we'll go in. We need to look at it and make a statement on which way we're going to go."

TSU alumni, Phillips says, have been vocal about the Tigers leaving the OVC.

"There's a lot of talk from a big contingent of our alums about the OVC because we still lose out on some things," Phillips said recently. "For instance, we're playing an OVC opponent for homecoming and we would like to have a traditional opponent for homecoming, but because the way the schedule is, in late October you can't get that because you're kind of forced into your conference schedule so things like that hurt us.

"From many other perspectives, we get to play four traditional opponents, we get to be in a conference whose RPI and some other things overall might be considered a greater opportunity. ... For football, it would be great if we could move to the SWAC. For other sports, it might be good to stay in the OVC because of geography and other ways it might be better."

http://www.al.com/aam/huntsvilletimes/index.ssf?/base/sports/115727524453020.xml&coll=1&thispage=2

AppGuy04
September 4th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Its their own grave IMO

Mr. Tiger
September 4th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Its their own grave IMO

Yeah, you're right AppGuy they shouldn't join a conference that outdraws every I-AA conference in attendance every year. :rolleyes: They shouldn't even consider it. It's not like they have a long history with rivals such as Grambling and Jackson State and a new rival in Alabama A&M who they played this past weekend. If they join the SWAC it would be over for them. xidiotx
Anyway, Tennessee State is simply exploring its options. The OVC is a fine conference but might not be the best fit for them. They have a long history with SWAC schools, especially Jackson State and Grambling. But of course, AppGuy, already knows that. Carry on.....xcoffeex

AppGuy04
September 4th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Yeah, you're right AppGuy they shouldn't join a conference that outdraws every I-AA conference in attendance every year. :rolleyes: They shouldn't even consider it. It's not like they have a long history with rivals such as Grambling and Jackson State and a new rival in Alabama A&M who they played this past weekend. If they join the SWAC it would be over for them. xidiotx
Anyway, Tennessee State is simply exploring its options. The OVC is a fine conference but might not be the best fit for them. They have a long history with SWAC schools, especially Jackson State and Grambling. But of course, AppGuy, already knows that. Carry on.....xcoffeex

You should know by now that I value the playoffs alot more than money

dbackjon
September 4th, 2006, 10:54 PM
For football, SWAC may work, but other sports, it would kill them financially.

HIU 93
September 4th, 2006, 10:56 PM

Riddle me this...Why do you think so? What other sports MAKE money, outside of football and bball?

Golden Eagle
September 4th, 2006, 11:34 PM
What? After we bend over backwards to accomodate their "Classics"?

Bah.

September 4th, 2006, 11:47 PM
Alum $$$$ at work again.

Mr. C
September 4th, 2006, 11:49 PM
It would mean a financial drain on the overall athletic budget in terms of increased travel for the other sports. It would be extremely negative for Tennessee State's basketball program, which has been a source of Tiger pride in the past. It might make TSU more competitive in football and I'm sure that the Tigers would feel more at home playing with other HBCUs.

TexasTerror
September 5th, 2006, 07:36 AM
Riddle me this...Why do you think so? What other sports MAKE money, outside of football and bball?

Outside of money, for which the SWAC whores itself for in basketball and uses the 'Classic system' for football, let's look at this from a sports aspect...

What sports, if any, does the SWAC top the OVC in RPI or whichever index is used? Would this be a move that would give TnState a better chance at success overall? Would it really be worth it to switch for football only and not the other sports?

dbackjon
September 5th, 2006, 09:46 AM

1) Travel
2) Travel
3) Travel

In the OVC, TSU has trips of:

45 minutes - Austin Peay
1:15 hours - Tn Tech
2:00 hours - Murray State
2:30 hours - Tn-Martin
3:00 hours - Samford
3:00 hours - SEMO
3:30 hours - Jacksonville State
3:30 hours - Eastern Kentucky
4:30 hours - Morehead State
5:00 hours - Eastern Illinois

In the SWAC, TSU would have trips of:
2:00 hours - Alabama A&M
4:30 hours - Alabama State
5:00 hours - Mississippi Valley State
5:30 hours - Arkansas-Pine Bluff
6:30 hours - Jackson State
7:30 hours - Southern University
8:00 hours - Alcorn State
8:00 hours - Grambling
12:00 hours - Texas Southern
12:00 hours - Prairie View A & M

jstate83
September 5th, 2006, 10:01 AM

All or nothing.: smh :
No half participation in the SWAC.: smh :

Cocky
September 5th, 2006, 10:11 AM
All or nothing.: smh :
No half participation in the SWAC.: smh :

The SWAC needs to stick to this. That is the biggest problem in most league, partial participation.

nothingbutjsu
September 5th, 2006, 10:18 AM
If the SWAC takes TSU on, they better make sure TSU is devoted to the SWAC. They are sure not devoted to the OVC. I blame that on the OVC. Sometimes you just have to say NO!

GO GAMECOCKS!!!!!!!!!

gophoenix
September 5th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Baseball makes money at some schools; soccer at others; and lacrosse at others; and softball at others. It depends on the school.

To the JSU fan: who cares how many fans the SWAC draws. Butts in seats don't win games.

jstate83
September 5th, 2006, 10:50 AM
If the SWAC takes TSU on, they better make sure TSU is devoted to the SWAC. They are sure not devoted to the OVC. I blame that on the OVC. Sometimes you just have to say NO!

GO GAMECOCKS!!!!!!!!!

Which is exactly why it should be all or nothing.

Just like UAPB and Alabama A@M had to do, TnST would have to build or fix up facilities that are on par with everyone elses.
The 2 school's I mentioned took an extra year to get thing's ready so they basically had 2 transition years when they moved up to 1-AA.

TnST having 1 foot in each conference will do neither any good.
There are other teams out there that would love to join the SWAC with full participation.:nod:

Jax
September 5th, 2006, 10:56 AM
May need another team to balance the SWAC...

TexasTerror
September 5th, 2006, 12:03 PM
There are other teams out there that would love to join the SWAC with full participation.:nod:

Which institutions are those?

Some Div IIs looking to make the move up? Or this is more along the lines of MEAC schools moving over to the SWAC?

TexasTerror
September 5th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Thoughts and perspetive from the Tennessee St fan board:

http://p079.ezboard.com/ftsutigerfansfrm1.showMessage?topicID=1593.topic

A few of the main points against is:

1) The I-AA national title would not be out there for a SWAC school and as one fan said, "They keep talking about how much money they make at their championship game and keeping the money in-house,and how playing for a 1-AA championship is a loser, well that maybe so, but the recoginition and prestiage comes from winning the 1-AA championship,and today that's what athletes play for ,not some mythial Black College football Championship, that is not recognised outside the CIAA,MEAC,SIAC and SWAC." (not the most gramatically correct, but I see what they're saying)

2. Basketball seen as a step back. As one fan notes, "The SWAC and MEAC get no respect when it comes to basketball. They have had to participate in the "play-in" game just to get into the NCAA tournament. They get very little TV coverage."

jstate83
September 5th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Which institutions are those?

Some Div IIs looking to make the move up? Or this is more along the lines of MEAC schools moving over to the SWAC?

SKEEGE would be 1..................Just across the state line.:nod:
Most MEAC school's are not viable "travel Distance" wise.

Point being....................Don't care who you are, either join full fledged or go Independent.:twocents:

jstate83
September 5th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Thoughts and perspetive from the Tennessee St fan board:

http://p079.ezboard.com/ftsutigerfansfrm1.showMessage?topicID=1593.topic

A few of the main points against is:

1) The I-AA national title would not be out there for a SWAC school and as one fan said, "They keep talking about how much money they make at their championship game and keeping the money in-house,and how playing for a 1-AA championship is a loser, well that maybe so, but the recoginition and prestiage comes from winning the 1-AA championship,and today that's what athletes play for ,not some mythial Black College football Championship, that is not recognised outside the CIAA,MEAC,SIAC and SWAC." (not the most gramatically correct, but I see what they're saying)

2. Basketball seen as a step back. As one fan notes, "The SWAC and MEAC get no respect when it comes to basketball. They have had to participate in the "play-in" game just to get into the NCAA tournament. They get very little TV coverage."

#1.........................How many times have TnSt been to the PLAYOFF's since joining the OVC?..............:nod:

#2.........................How many times have TnSt been invited to the NCAA or got a chance to participate in a play-in game.:nod:
For that matter................Tell me about the OVC as a whole on this.:nod:

AppGuy04
September 5th, 2006, 01:23 PM
#1.........................How many times have TnSt been to the PLAYOFF's since joining the OVC?..............:nod:

This isn't given to you, you gotta play your way in. Are they resolving that they can never make the playoffs? Is that the message you want to send to fans?:confused: Not saying thats the case, but some fans might take it that way.

TexasTerror
September 5th, 2006, 01:27 PM

Regardless of how many times they have been to the playoffs, atleast they have a chance to compete for a national title. They'd have to recognize what their goals were. A recognized national championship or a conference title. SWAC schools don't compete for any more than that...

#2.........................How many times have TnSt been invited to the NCAA or got a chance to participate in a play-in game.:nod:
For that matter................Tell me about the OVC as a whole on this.:nod:

The OVC has not had to participate in a play-in game since it was started. In fact, the OVC has had a fair amount of success in mens' basketball for a mid-major. Not as much as the MVC, but they have had more success than the SWAC surely...

The SWAC on the other hand is at risk of going to the play-in game yearly, which puts their chance at getting more $$$ for the conference through mens' basketball tournament limited. Tough to get more $$$ when you get sent out to Dayton each year and may not even have your teams experience a NCAA tournament atmosphere as the play-in game is far from it...

jstate83
September 5th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Regardless of how many times they have been to the playoffs, atleast they have a chance to compete for a national title. They'd have to recognize what their goals were. A recognized national championship or a conference title. SWAC schools don't compete for any more than that...

The OVC has not had to participate in a play-in game since it was started. In fact, the OVC has had a fair amount of success in mens' basketball for a mid-major. Not as much as the MVC, but they have had more success than the SWAC surely...
The SWAC on the other hand is at risk of going to the play-in game yearly, which puts their chance at getting more $$$ for the conference through mens' basketball tournament limited. Tough to get more $$$ when you get sent out to Dayton each year and may not even have your teams experience a NCAA tournament atmosphere as the play-in game is far from it...

Said a lot but didn't say nothing.

Just answer the question without all that sugar for the OVC.
Tell me how much better it is in the OVC than the SWAC for TnSt point by POINT since you know so much.

Tell us our history and then tell us the history of the OVC.
Just answers man.xlolx

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 5th, 2006, 01:31 PM
1) Travel
2) Travel
3) Travel

45 minutes - Austin Peay

2:00 hours - Alabama A&M
4:30 hours - Alabama State
5:00 hours - Mississippi Valley State
5:30 hours - Arkansas-Pine Bluff
6:30 hours - Jackson State
20:00 hours - Texas Southern
20:00 hours - Prairie View A & M
Your numbers are way off. Houston and Baton Rouge are only 4 hours apart.

jstate83
September 5th, 2006, 01:35 PM
This isn't given to you, you gotta play your way in. Are they resolving that they can never make the playoffs? Is that the message you want to send to fans?:confused: Not saying thats the case, but some fans might take it that way.

That's not my problem what message they trying to send.
Heck..................We, JSU, made the playoff's even with some of our conference teams playing after the playoff bids go out.
So all this crap about a SWAC team can't go is just that ............CRAP.

If TnSt is so high on the playoff's, why in heck havn't they done something to get there just 1 dang time? What was holding them back.
All this talk about playoff's and TnSt is talk. They have had a decade to get there with no SWAC to mess them up.

AppGuy04
September 5th, 2006, 01:56 PM
That's not my problem what message they trying to send.
Heck..................We, JSU, made the playoff's even with some of our conference teams playing after the playoff bids go out.

If TnSt is so high on the playoff's, why in heck havn't they done something to get there just 1 dang time? What was holding them back.
All this talk about playoff's and TnSt is talk. They have had a decade to get there with no SWAC to mess them up.

Can a SWAC team go to the playoffs? Ofcourse. Will they? Highly unlikely. Symantics if you ask me.

jstate83
September 5th, 2006, 02:02 PM
Can a SWAC team go to the playoffs? Ofcourse. Will they? Highly unlikely. Symantics if you ask me.

My point is..........................Who cares.
This was not the point of the thread.

If TnSt is so set on the playoff's, then why are they not trying to STAY in the OVC where nothing is messing that up.

Nobody is twisting the OVC's arm to let them go.
Somehow ya'll act like the SWAC gotta change for a newcommer that want's to join.

That's funny....................xlolx

Mr. Tiger
September 5th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Like it or not, MONEY is very important in football and in life. The expenses to operate in Division I go up each year and it is obvious that Tennessee State would draw more football fans in the SWAC and revenue would increase. In football, Tenn State would not have to face the Texas schools because they would be in the SWAC East. And in basketball, they may have two Texas road trips a season at the most. Tenn State's alumni, fans, and students might feel the SWAC offers them more exciting matchups. As a JSU alum, I have watched Jackson State many times in the playoffs. I love the playoff system and would like to see JSU return one day. But I can understand the financial issues involved here and I can't slam any school for seeking a bigger payday and matchups their alumni and fans want to see. And I can't see how anyone honestly can fault Grambling and Southern for playing the Bayou Classic, a game with history, tradition, national tv exposure, great attendance, and excitement for the fans and alumni?

dbackjon
September 5th, 2006, 02:35 PM

Yes - I should have put 12 hours for Houston (on a good day).

Still does not change the fact that TSU in the SWAC would have to spend tens of thousands, at least, more on travel than in the OVC for ALL sports.

JaxSinfonian
September 5th, 2006, 02:39 PM
We, JSU, made the playoff's even with some of our conference teams playing after the playoff bids go out.

The question you're asking, "if the playoffs are important to Tennessee State, why aren't they working harder to get in?" is one only TSU can answer. It seems that's the central question they've got to answer: do thy want to compete for national championships, or give up on that and go to the SWAC for something else? It's clear from the discussion at The Roar that there's a diversity of opinions on the matter among TSU alumni & fans.

And by the way, TSU has been to the playoffs since joining the OVC, not once but twice. In 1998 they lost to Appalachian State in the first round 45-31. In 1999 they lost 24-10 to ... NC A&T. Looks like there's more than one way to get good games against other HBCUs. Both of those games were losses, but they're more than talk, and it's a little more recent than that Jackson State foray into the postseason you mentioned.

dbackjon
September 5th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Like it or not, MONEY is very important in football and in life. The expenses to operate in Division I go up each year and it is obvious that Tennessee State would draw more football fans in the SWAC and revenue would increase. In football, Tenn State would not have to face the Texas schools because they would be in the SWAC East. And in basketball, they may have two Texas road trips a season at the most. Tenn State's alumni, fans, and students might feel the SWAC offers them more exciting matchups. As a JSU alum, I have watched Jackson State many times in the playoffs. I love the playoff system and would like to see JSU return one day. But I can understand the financial issues involved here and I can't slam any school for seeking a bigger payday and matchups their alumni and fans want to see. And I can't see how anyone honestly can fault Grambling and Southern for playing the Bayou Classic, a game with history, tradition, national tv exposure, great attendance, and excitement for the fans and alumni?

I don't think it is obvious that TSU would draw more fans in the SWAC. TSU fans that are pushing SWAC care really about four schools - Grambling, Southern, Jackson State, and FAMU from the MEAC. They could care less, mostly, about the other schools in the SWAC.

The John Merritt Classic this past weekend had a HUGE drop in attendance, and the opponent was the relatively local Alabama A&M.

And not all TSU alums are pushing for this - it seems to be mainly centered on the older alums who think that going to the SWAC would bring back the John Merritt Glory days. Well, SWAC or not, that is not happening. HBCU's are not the only outlet for black athletes anymore. Gone are the days when a black athlete in Tennessee could go to TSU, or some northern desegregated school. The best athletes in Tennessee don't give TSU (or MTSU) for that matter a sniff.

Mr. Tiger
September 5th, 2006, 03:36 PM
I don't think it is obvious that TSU would draw more fans in the SWAC. TSU fans that are pushing SWAC care really about four schools - Grambling, Southern, Jackson State, and FAMU from the MEAC. They could care less, mostly, about the other schools in the SWAC.

The John Merritt Classic this past weekend had a HUGE drop in attendance, and the opponent was the relatively local Alabama A&M.

Please look at the actual attendance figures, you can find them on TSU website. Tennessee State averaged less than 8,000 fans for its OVC home games last year. While this year's Alabama A&M game drew over 19,000. Games against Jackson State draw over 50,000 on a yearly basis. Grambling and Southern would draw about the same because they have in the past. Other SWAC teams like Valley, Alcorn, and Alabama State would all draw more fans than a matchup against almost every OVC school.

jstate83
September 5th, 2006, 03:37 PM
The question you're asking, "if the playoffs are important to Tennessee State, why aren't they working harder to get in?" is one only TSU can answer. It seems that's the central question they've got to answer: do thy want to compete for national championships, or give up on that and go to the SWAC for something else? It's clear from the discussion at The Roar that there's a diversity of opinions on the matter among TSU alumni & fans.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
True..............Only they can answer that. :nod:

And by the way, TSU has been to the playoffs since joining the OVC, not once but twice. In 1998 they lost to Appalachian State in the first round 45-31. In 1999 they lost 24-10 to ... NC A&T. Looks like there's more than one way to get good games against other HBCUs. Both of those games were losses, but they're more than talk, and it's a little more recent than that Jackson State foray into the postseason you mentioned.

JSU's last 3 playoff nods:
1995...................Marshall
1996...................William & Mary
1997...................Western Ill

So you see at basically same time when Tenn St only qualified 2 times for the playoff's in the OVC, JSU over the same period........1995-1999...... qualified 3 times................could have been a fourth in 1999.:nod:

1999 was the first year of the SWAC Championship game.
There was no way JSU was gonna back out of that against SU.

Point being.................I still don't understand all this SWAC holding teams out the playoff crap. It's really not hard to understand at all. Guess it's easy for JSU to understand because we have dealt with this issue personally ............THE PLAYOFF'S.

dbackjon
September 5th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Please look at the actual attendance figures, you can find them on TSU website. Tennessee State averaged less than 8,000 fans for its OVC home games last year. While this year's Alabama A&M game drew over 19,000. Games against Jackson State draw over 50,000 on a yearly basis. Grambling and Southern would draw about the same because they have in the past. Other SWAC teams like Valley, Alcorn, and Alabama State would all draw more fans than a matchup against almost every OVC school.

No one is questioning that Grambling, Southern and Jackson would be big draws - but outside of a "Classic", you won't see more than 10,000 for games against Valley, Alcorn, ASU or PVSU. Their fans won't make the trek en-masse, and again, only the big 3 of the SWAC interests most of the TSU fan base.

And that still doesn't address how TSU is going to pay for the increased travel costs for the other 15 sports.

jstate83
September 5th, 2006, 03:52 PM
No one is questioning that Grambling, Southern and Jackson would be big draws - but outside of a "Classic", you won't see more than 10,000 for games against Valley, Alcorn, ASU or PVSU. Their fans won't make the trek en-masse, and again, only the big 3 of the SWAC interests most of the TSU fan base.

And that still doesn't address how TSU is going to pay for the increased travel costs for the other 15 sports.

Fan's hitting the road is something Tenn St. will have to address among themselves.

But.................From personal knowledge, if they make 1 trip to Alcorn, Valley or ASU's campus, their fans will begin to go.

Alcorn's campus is a mutha on game day and Valley is the same.:nod:
There is talk about moving the Alcorn/JSU game back to Alcorn for a year or 2.
That place will explode from all the people trying to be 1 of 27,000 in that place...................xlolx

GeauxLions94
September 5th, 2006, 04:17 PM

You noticed that too. DBJ apparently thinks then that Nashville and Baton Rouge are 16 hours from each other then. Probably and 8-hour ride (at the max)

Mr. Tiger
September 5th, 2006, 04:58 PM

Again, please look at the ACTUAL attendance figures because Tennessee State played Prairie View in 2002 in Nashville and drew 18,000 fans. They drew only 4,217 against Tenn. Tech in their final home game that year. : smh : Further proof their fans seem to attend games against ANY SWAC team over most of their conference opponents. Don't believe me? Please look at TSUTigers.com and go to the 2002 stats.

Mr. Tiger
September 5th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Again, please look at the ACTUAL attendance figures because Tennessee State played Prairie View in 2002 in Nashville and drew 18,000 fans. They drew only 4,217 against Tenn. Tech in their final home game that year. : smh : Further proof their fans seem to attend games against ANY SWAC team over most of their conference opponents. Don't believe me? Please look at TSUTigers.com and go to the 2002 stats.

18,000 fans X $20 tickets = $360,000
4,217 fans X $20 tickets = $84,340

Some how I think Tennessee State would be able to handle the extra travel expenses. :nod:

dbackjon
September 5th, 2006, 06:26 PM

Prairie View was the John Merritt Classic, and that was a poorly attended game for that Classic.

dbackjon
September 5th, 2006, 06:26 PM

Some how I think Tennessee State would be able to handle the extra travel expenses. :nod:

As stated above, for a non-classic game, PVSU would draw 5-6 thousand, if that much.

tsutiger
September 5th, 2006, 06:44 PM

Mr. Tiger,

Just win!!!! It's not about the SWAC or OVC it's about winning. When we played PV in 2002 it was in the JMC. PV had about 200 fans. No different from the OVC schools. Only 4,217 came to watch Tenn Tech, because we sucked and it was cold. We started playing at LP field in 98. Our attendance record is 42K playing against Tenn Tech. We have played PV, South Carolina State, Alabama State, Miss Vally State, and Alabama A&M at LP field. None of those games came close to the 42K against Tenn Tech. We we start winning, crowds will start coming.

As far as TSU leaving the OVC. You can end the discussion now. It's not going to happen. TSU fans are only interested in playing JSU, SU and GSU. No one else. Alumni have been complaining about playing AAMU for years.

Mr. Tiger
September 5th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Mr. Tiger,

Just win!!!! It's not about the SWAC or OVC it's about winning. When we played PV in 2002 it was in the JMC. PV had about 200 fans. No different from the OVC schools. Only 4,217 came to watch Tenn Tech, because we sucked and it was cold. We started playing at LP field in 98. Our attendance record is 42K playing against Tenn Tech. We have played PV, South Carolina State, Alabama State, Miss Vally State, and Alabama A&M at LP field. None of those games came close to the 42K against Tenn Tech. We we start winning, crowds will start coming.

As far as TSU leaving the OVC. You can end the discussion now. It's not going to happen. TSU fans are only interested in playing JSU, SU and GSU. No one else. Alumni have been complaining about playing AAMU for years.

Alabama A&M and Tenn State drew 18,000 fans last week. Will the Murray State game draw more? Two years ago the game drew 4,864 and it was the season opener just like last week's game. :eek: How about the Samford game? 5,041 was the attendance two years ago. So it would take four OVC home games to match the gate that Alabama A&M-TSU brought in last week.

Golden Eagle
September 5th, 2006, 08:49 PM
I'd imagine that increased attendance at games against certain opponents (Prairie View A&M was mentioned) is because of the novelty factor. Would they come every other year to see Prairie View A&M? Maybe. But I do doubt they would come in such numbers as they did in 2002.

AppGuy04
September 5th, 2006, 08:52 PM
SWAC or no SWAC, teams like Grambling, Southern, etc have large fan bases b/c they have a history of winning games. Thats all it takes to put butts in the seats, winning consistently.

Jafus (Thinker)
September 5th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Ralph,

Alum $$$$ at work again.

True!!

Jafus (Thinker)
September 5th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Dbacjon,

Be careful and dig a little deeper.

In a 12 member SWAC, TnSU would not play Texas Southern, Prairie View, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Grambling State, Southern, and Alcorn State in the Olympic (non-revenue) sports. In a 12 member SWAC for men's and women's basketball Tennessee State would likely only travel to three of the six schools mention above every other year. It would not be difficult for revenue associated with football off-set any additional cost associated with men's and women's basketball.

One must also consider that Tennessee State’s yearly athletic operating budget to maintain a level that over the last ten years has not provided them a measure of competitiveness in the OVC in most sports are much higher than the largest budget in the SWAC. So, as an administrator, one could actually reduce the budget 10%~15% and still have the highest budget in SWAC.

It also important to understand that charter bus rental services do not charge solely by the mileage and charge by day and night travel.

45 minutes - Austin Peay

Eastern Division
1)2:00 hours - Alabama A&M
2)4:30 hours - Alabama State
3)5:00 hours - Mississippi Valley State
4)5:30 hours - Arkansas-Pine Bluff
5)6:30 hours - Jackson State
6)**Tennessee State

#Would not travel for Olympic Sports
## Would likely only travel to ‘three” of the six schools mention above every other year
Western Division
*12th member

**Potential Expansion Membership Alignment

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 5th, 2006, 11:32 PM
SWAC or no SWAC, teams like Grambling, Southern, etc have large fan bases b/c they have a history of winning games. Thats all it takes to put butts in the seats, winning consistently.
There was a twenty year period 70's-early 90's where Southern wasn't winning much but we still managed to be in among the tops attendence, thanks to Dr. Issac Greggs and The Human Jukebox, and our football crazy fans.

bkrownd
September 5th, 2006, 11:53 PM

$20 tickets!?!?!?!??!? Holy smokes, no wonder they don't have much attendance!

mikebigg
September 6th, 2006, 06:09 AM
Outside of money, for which the SWAC whores itself for in basketball and uses the 'Classic system' for football, let's look at this from a sports aspect...

What sports, if any, does the SWAC top the OVC in RPI or whichever index is used? Would this be a move that would give TnState a better chance at success overall? Would it really be worth it to switch for football only and not the other sports?

Explain the "whores itself for in basketball" comment? Tell me how this is different from what the SLC just did this past weekend in football (see Big 12 matchups) and also check your schedule to see how many SLC bball teams play LSU in basketball.

BLUE TIGER
September 6th, 2006, 07:20 AM

Jackson State Tickets:

General Admission: $22.00
Reserved Seating: $30.00
Box Seats: $40.00
Gameday: $25
Kids: $10 (3-17)

TexasTerror
September 6th, 2006, 07:35 AM
Explain the "whores itself for in basketball" comment? Tell me how this is different from what the SLC just did this past weekend in football (see Big 12 matchups) and also check your schedule to see how many SLC bball teams play LSU in basketball.

You had a team, Alcorn St that was strictly on the road for OOC to the tune of nine games before coming home Jan 7th for conference! Seven money games for Alcorn St (which just excludes SFA and SHSU stops). Must've been important to the Alcorn St program to stay on the road til conference with a schedule like that.

You had a team named Texas Southern that played a game in Storrs (UConn) one night and then was playing UTEP in El Paso, all the way across the country the next. What a schlep! Anything to make money, even if it required back to back games across country on back to back nights. That's a pretty 'whore'-like move. In total, TxSo played six money games as did Southern. Grambling had five last year.

How many SLC bball teams play LSU in basketball? Two. Nicholls St and McNeese State. Okay? Mississippi Valley State does as well. What's your point? Same two SLC teams played them last year. What's unusual about LSU playing two teams that are close?

See the SHSU basketball schedule? We're in the midst of a home-and-home with Texas Tech. Have a money game at UCLA, which we coupled with a three-way home-and-home that brings us to UC-Irvine. Next year, the Kats go to Loyola Marymount as part of that three-way while UC Irvine comes to Sam. We also complete home-and-homes with Alcorn St and Southern Miss in addition to taking part in ESPN Bracketbusters. How about that? Just one money game! Perhaps it's called having a more successful program which doesn't need to put itself in a situation to 'whore' around the country. We picked up UCLA for the fact we'd be at Irvine to play the Anteaters.

Northwestern St has money games against Louisville and DePaul. Two money games is low for a mid-major. They also have Utah St coming in to complete a home-and-home.

Want to talk about football playing the Big XII this past weekend? Okay, let's go for it. There was one matchup. Northwestern St at Kansas. Um, okay? I don't get your point. Also, look at the changing state of I-AA football. You have two teams in the nation (Portland St and NW St) that are playing three I-AAs. You of all people should know the situation of the Louisiana I-AA schools.

Most of the SWAC, if they are eligible (meet the equivalency requirement) play I-A games now whether it Grambling (vs Houston), Alcorn St (ULM) or Texas Southern (New Mexico St). If you guys had more than just two opprotunities thanks to the mandate, the SWAC would be all over the I-A division just like the I-A brethren.

tsutiger
September 6th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Alabama A&M and Tenn State drew 18,000 fans last week. Will the Murray State game draw more? Two years ago the game drew 4,864 and it was the season opener just like last week's game. :eek: How about the Samford game? 5,041 was the attendance two years ago. So it would take four OVC home games to match the gate that Alabama A&M-TSU brought in last week.

Dude it's obvious your posting BS trying to get others to buy in.

This will be the first time we have played Murray State this early in the year. Two years ago our home opener was against AAMU. If we played Murray State in the John Merritt Classic instead of AAMU, you would see around the same number in attendance.

Once again our stadium record is 42K playing TENNESSEE TECH. Not AAMU, not Bama State, not PV, or any other HBCU that has come to Nashville. Please explain why it's not AAMU, ASU, or Vally?

The problem is lack of wins, not the OVC.

Being a Jackson State fan, you should know that. Your last home game last season didn't draw 3K fans, and you were playing an HBCU.

89Hen
September 6th, 2006, 09:22 AM
UD ticket prices...
Box Seats
Boxes 1N-15N; 17-33; 66-82 $28 (SOLD OUT)
Boxes 1-16; 34-49; 50-65; 83-98 $25 (SOLD OUT)
Reserved Seats
Sections D and K $22 (SOLD OUT)
East and West Stands $19
North End Zone $14

$20 isn't bad IMO

dbackjon
September 6th, 2006, 09:32 AM

You are confusing the attendence at the John Merritt Classic with a regular season game - you can not compare the two. What would PVSU draw at a regular game? 4,000???

dbackjon
September 6th, 2006, 09:33 AM
Dbacjon,

Be careful and dig a little deeper.

In a 12 member SWAC, TnSU would not play Texas Southern, Prairie View, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Grambling State, Southern, and Alcorn State in the Olympic (non-revenue) sports. In a 12 member SWAC for men's and women's basketball Tennessee State would likely only travel to three of the six schools mention above every other year. It would not be difficult for revenue associated with football off-set any additional cost associated with men's and women's basketball.

One must also consider that Tennessee State’s yearly athletic operating budget to maintain a level that over the last ten years has not provided them a measure of competitiveness in the OVC in most sports are much higher than the largest budget in the SWAC. So, as an administrator, one could actually reduce the budget 10%~15% and still have the highest budget in SWAC.

It also important to understand that charter bus rental services do not charge solely by the mileage and charge by day and night travel.

45 minutes - Austin Peay

Eastern Division
1)2:00 hours - Alabama A&M
2)4:30 hours - Alabama State
3)5:00 hours - Mississippi Valley State
4)5:30 hours - Arkansas-Pine Bluff
5)6:30 hours - Jackson State
6)**Tennessee State

#Would not travel for Olympic Sports
## Would likely only travel to ‘three” of the six schools mention above every other year
Western Division
*12th member

**Potential Expansion Membership Alignment

Even with Divisions, they would have three away games a year to the other division in basketball, volleyball, etc.

jsualum97
September 6th, 2006, 09:40 AM
My only response to this thread would be to Tenn. St. administration.
If you are going to be in the OVC, be in the OVC!! I don't like this ideal that Tenn. St. has the rotating schedule, and doesn't have to play everyone in Football. I know that it is a money-maker playing 4 classics, but I am quite sure that if Jacksonville St. played 5 guaranteed games a year that it would be a moneymaker. Fact is you are in the OVC. Play all of the OVC teams, and then whatever your OOC that you want.
If you are going to be in the SWAC, be in the SWAC!!!
I really enjoy having Tenn. St. in the OVC, but I hate it that you don't play a complete schedule.

Golden Eagle
September 6th, 2006, 10:01 AM
I really enjoy having Tenn. St. in the OVC, but I hate it that you don't play a complete schedule.

Amen to that.

jstate83
September 6th, 2006, 10:08 AM

Shat dude.........................JSU's is $22 in advance Monday thru Friday and $25 and up on Gameday.:eyebrow:

Jafus (Thinker)
September 6th, 2006, 12:18 PM
dbackjon,

Even with Divisions, they would have three away games a year to the other division in basketball, volleyball, etc.

In a 12 member SWAC, TnSU would not play Texas Southern, Prairie View, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Grambling State, Southern, and Alcorn State in the Olympic (non-revenue) sports.

i.e. Olympic (non-revenue) sports = volleyball, women's soccer, softball, women's and men's tennis, women's and men's golf, women's bowling.

In a 12 member SWAC for men's and women's basketball Tennessee State would likely only travel to three of the six schools mention above every other year.

jstate83
September 6th, 2006, 01:22 PM

This will be the first time we have played Murray State this early in the year. Two years ago our home opener was against AAMU. If we played Murray State in the John Merritt Classic instead of AAMU, you would see around the same number in attendance.

Once again our stadium record is 42K playing TENNESSEE TECH. Not AAMU, not Bama State, not PV, or any other HBCU that has come to Nashville. Please explain why it's not AAMU, ASU, or Vally?

Being a Jackson State fan, you should know that. Your last home game last season didn't draw 3K fans, and you were playing an HBCU.

Do you even know why there was only 3,000 there........................And win's was the last thing that caused that last year.
Perhaps our worst year in school history and still came in the top 10 in fan attendance for the year. xlolx

And as for joining the SWAC, why don't ya'll just join the MEAC.:nod:
Your heart's seem to be running up and down the East coast.:nod:

mikebigg
September 6th, 2006, 08:16 PM
TexasTerror: You had a team, Alcorn St that was strictly on the road for OOC to the tune of nine games before coming home Jan 7th for conference! Seven money games for Alcorn St (which just excludes SFA and SHSU stops). Must've been important to the Alcorn St program to stay on the road til conference with a schedule like that.

What's unusual about that? Alcorn is located in rural Lorman, Mississippi. Mind you that you are talking about a time period between semester break. Wouldn't have made much sense to have a home game when there were no students...a key to successful basketball home court advantage. So Alcorn coach took the opportunity to play 9 games in a month's time frame...What's that two games a week. Isn't that about what it is during the course of conference play. What makes this whorish?

Texas Terror: You had a team named Texas Southern that played a game in Storrs (UConn) one night and then was playing UTEP in El Paso, all the way across the country the next. What a schlep! Anything to make money, even if it required back to back games across country on back to back nights. That's a pretty 'whore'-like move. In total, TxSo played six money games as did Southern. Grambling had five last year.

I assume they flew round trip to Storrs, huh? I doubt if they drove back and played the next night in El Paso. I also would imagine that this game was an early season game... do you really think these young men were tired at this stage of the season. I would expect that they enjoyed the experience. I don't think this is being whores...I think it's scheduling games against two name programs to help develop your program. Budgets have to be met...Revenue is a part of the Financial Budget of any athletic department. Would you prefer them playing at home during the early season and collecting no money. Hell, I bet they would have loved to play U of H in Houston and collect a huge payday. Yall right up the road from each other, so why don't yall play them home and home.

Texas Terror: How many SLC bball teams play LSU in basketball? Two. Nicholls St and McNeese State. Okay? Mississippi Valley State does as well. What's your point? Same two SLC teams played them last year. What's unusual about LSU playing two teams that are close?
Nothing at all..but if SLC teams could work out something with LSU then that's fine. I'm sure TxSU would have driven up to Austin to play UT if offered the chance. Same thing...except they decided to take an offer from UConn.

Texas Terror: See the SHSU basketball schedule? We're in the midst of a home-and-home with Texas Tech. Have a money game at UCLA, which we coupled with a three-way home-and-home that brings us to UC-Irvine. Next year, the Kats go to Loyola Marymount as part of that three-way while UC Irvine comes to Sam. We also complete home-and-homes with Alcorn St and Southern Miss in addition to taking part in ESPN Bracketbusters. How about that? Just one money game! Perhaps it's called having a more successful program which doesn't need to put itself in a situation to 'whore' around the country. We picked up UCLA for the fact we'd be at Irvine to play the Anteaters.

Glad for you...but save the "we picked up UCLA bulls hit for some other discussion... you didn't pick up UCLA, your AD made a call to someone to let them know he was available for a payday game. Smart move...but if you gonna call someone else a hoe at least admit that you're one

Northwestern St has money games against Louisville and DePaul. Two money games is low for a mid-major. They also have Utah St coming in to complete a home-and-home. You can't have it both ways...if you sell it twice or seven times, you still a hoe

Want to talk about football playing the Big XII this past weekend? Okay, let's go for it. There was one matchup. Northwestern St at Kansas. Um, okay? I don't get your point. Also, look at the changing state of I-AA football. You have two teams in the nation (Portland St and NW St) that are playing three I-AAs. You of all people should know the situation of the Louisiana I-AA schools.

Most of the SWAC, if they are eligible (meet the equivalency requirement) play I-A games now whether it Grambling (vs Houston), Alcorn St (ULM) or Texas Southern (New Mexico St). If you guys had more than just two opprotunities thanks to the mandate, the SWAC would be all over the I-A division just like the I-A brethren. You're right too. We would love to play at least two I-A opponents each year. Why not? I thought you were one of the folks who claimed we ducked competition? We see these games as an opportunity and we don't begrudge others... You're the one who made the asinine comment that the SWAC 'whored" itself. Somebody better look in the mirror

mikebigg
September 6th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Mr. Tiger,

A lot of Grambling fans would love to play TnSU as well. Too bad scheduling limits have ended what used to be a doozy of a matchup. Talk about a good homecoming game for either school in alternate years.

aztecjim
September 7th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Very soon there will be 23 football playing HBCUs in I-AA. Maybe more in the future? Why not just completely re-align them into three separate conferences? I am not sure exactly how to divvy the schools up but it would also help in the basketball tourney. Instead of having the MEAC and SWAC getting just two spots and dividing up the money 25 ways(Coppin State and UM-ES from he MEAC don't play football) they would split three tourney shares.

3rd Coast Tiger
September 7th, 2006, 03:39 PM
I posted these comments on another message board (MEACFans) about this issue:

For travel expenses, it would be more beneficial and cost effective for Texas Southern to be aligned with the Southland Conference and I know for a fact thru our chairman of our BOR. The (SLC) has tried to convince us to do align with them. The SLC has also expressed interest in moving the conference office to Houston and making us their flagship school (only relaying what the Chairman of our BOR told me).

HOWEVER, in the long run, it was deemed best and understood to keep our relationship with the SWAC as it has been since 1956. Our BOR proposed this to TSUNAA behind closed doors and we recommended that they contact Teresa Phillips and Tennessee State and ask her her opinion of Tennessee State's relationship with the OVC and afterwards our BOR came to the conclusion it's best to stay a SWAC member.

Take it how you want to take it.

Mr. Tiger
September 7th, 2006, 08:29 PM

I did get the date wrong on the Murray State game two years ago. But the attendance figure was absolutely correct. And if winning is what makes TSU fans come to OVC home games, please explain why in 2003 with a 4-2 record and starting the OVC sked 2-0, TSU still only drew 8,023fans against Jacksonville State. I also found the box score for the last time TSU played Valley (one of the teams you mentioned) and TSU drew more fans to that game against a winless and pitiful Valley team than its next home game against an OVC team. Here are the websites...

Tenn-Martin game...http://www.usatoday.com/sports/scores101/101293/101293368.htm

Valley game... http://www.usatoday.com/sports/scores101/101286/101286411.htm

Mississippi Valley vs. Tennessee State
Extended Box
Oct 13, 2001
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NCAAF FINAL 1ST 2ND 3RD 4TH TOTAL
--- --- --- --- -----
MISS VALLEY ST 0 3 0 0 3
TENNESSEE ST 7 14 14 6 41 FINAL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Extended Box

NCAAF 1 2 3 4 F
- - - - --
Miss Valley St 0 3 0 0 3
Tennessee St 7 14 14 6 41 FINAL

Tennessee St-M Jones 1 run (Hudak kick)
Tennessee St-Key 1 run (Hudak kick)
Tennessee St-Johnson 29 pass from S Harris (Hudak kick)
Miss Valley St-FG Kipperer 51
Tennessee St-Anthony 3 run (Hudak kick)
Tennessee St-S Harris 1 run (Hudak kick)
Tennessee St-Jenkins 13 pass from Irby (kick failed)

Miss Valley St Tennessee St
First downs 5 32
Rushed-yards 24-68 61-313
Passing yards 72 246
Sacked-yards lost 5-35 1-4
Return yards 189 83
Passes 9-34-1 21-40-1
Punts 13-35.5 5-30.4
Fumbles-lost 2-1 2-1
Penalties-yards 13-89 13-90
Time of possession 23:00 37:00

Individual Statistics
RUSHING: Miss Valley St-C Smith 8-32, April 3-16, Taylor 2-14,
Dawson 2-9, Mcpherson 1-2, Harding 8-minus 5. Tennessee
St-Anthony 21-154, Key 8-80, M Jones 19-62, Price 1-14, S
Harris 8-13, Irby 2-10, Jenkins 1-4, Team 1-minus 24.

PASSING: Miss Valley St-Harding 9-34-1-72. Tennessee St-S
Harris 18-34-1-208, Irby 3-5-0-38, R Walker 0-1-0-0.

RECEIVING: Miss Valley St-T Adams 4-22, J Davenport 3-38,
Miller 1-7, Weaver 1-5. Tennessee St-Jenkins 7-73, Johnson
4-59, Farmer 4-42, K Hollis 2-22, Durojaive 1-18, R Jackson
1-16, Weldon 1-13, M Jones 1-3.

Att: 12,139

Tennessee-Martin vs. Tennessee State
Extended Box
Oct 20, 2001 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NCAAF FINAL 1ST 2ND 3RD 4TH TOTAL
--- --- --- --- -----
TENN MARTIN 0 0 7 0 7
TENNESSEE ST 21 6 14 14 55 FINAL

Extended Box

NCAAF 1 2 3 4 F
- - - - --
Tenn Martin 0 0 7 0 7
Tennessee St 21 6 14 14 55 FINAL

Tennessee St-Anthony 19 run (Hudak kick)
Tennessee St-S Harris 5 run (Hudak kick)
Tennessee St-Key 1 run (PAT blocked)
Tenn Martin-Edwards 62 run (B Harris kick)
Tennessee St-R Jackson 7 pass from S Harris (Hudak kick)
Tennessee St-Johnson 44 pass from S Harris (Hudak kick)
Tennessee St-Reese 6 fumble return (Richardson kick)

Tenn Martin Tennessee St
First downs 15 29
Rushed-yards 54-186 39-130
Passing yards 58 325
Sacked-yards lost 2-9 1-10
Return yards 1 75
Passes 4-21-2 20-31-0
Punts 6-32.5 3-38.3
Fumbles-lost 4-2 2-2
Penalties-yards 8-166 14-113
Time of possession 33:43 26:17

Individual Statistics
RUSHING: Tenn Martin-Edwards 13-116, D Harris 6-24, A Bryant
4-11, Williams 12-10, Wall 4-10, A Staten 2-10, Ro Hines 7-8,
Marshall 2-5, Anderson 2-4, Toatley 1-3, Team 1-minus 15.
Tennessee St-S Harris 7-50, Anthony 14-44, M Jones 8-27, Key
5-24, Price 2-2, Team 1-minus 1, Pinson 1-minus 3, Johnson
1-minus 13.

PASSING: Tenn Martin-Ro Hines 2-16-2-17, Williams 2-5-0-41.
Tennessee St-S Harris 20-30-0-325, Irby 0-1-0-0.

RECEIVING: Tenn Martin-W Stevenson 4-58. Tennessee St-R Jackson
5-100, Johnson 4-86, M Jones 2-37, Farmer 2-26, Jenkins 2-23,
Durojaive 1-16, K Hollis 1-11, Key 1-10, Wright 1-10, A Brown
1-6.

Att: 5,521

Cocky
September 8th, 2006, 06:37 AM
I did get the date wrong on the Murray State game two years ago. But the attendance figure was absolutely correct. And if winning is what makes TSU fans come to OVC home games, please explain why in 2003 with a 4-2 record and starting the OVC sked 2-0, TSU still only drew 8,023fans against Jacksonville State. I also found the box score for the last time TSU played Valley (one of the teams you mentioned) and TSU drew more fans to that game against a winless and pitiful Valley team than its next home game against an OVC team. Here are the websites...

JSU had a full stadium for TSU.

I-AA Fan
September 8th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Let's face it ...there is too much money in the "Classics" to pass up. Yes their is the race card involved as well ...but it pays the bills. Historically TSU has had long stretches of very strong OVC football competativeness, especially in the late 90's. If they are looking at generating revenue, and this will only come from football or basketball. They have a couple of OVC pigskin crowns and 3 or 4 play-off appearances since joing the conference. However, I do not see them having the resources to promote both football and basketball ...let's face it, the OVC is a strong MM basketball conference. When is the last time TSU made the "sweet-16" in MBB? I think they have one regular-season OVC championship in men's basketball, no OVC tournament championships, and no NCAA appearances since they joined the OVC.

Besides attendance numbers, joining the SWAC gives a school the ability to recruit problem players that are exceptional talents (I am not being sarcastic either). These guys go to the NFL & give your school a name as being a school that puts plyers into the pros. It is really a win/win for TSU to join the SWAC.

mikebigg
September 8th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Geographically (football) it makes sense for TnSU to remain in the OVC and attempt to schedule games against some of it's traditional rivals.
They currently have a neutral site game with JSU. If I was the AD, I would try to schedule a non-conference with SU/GSU for two years and arrange it so that SU or GSU would be the home team one year and the visiting team the next year. Then when those two years are up...do the same with Hampton/Howard to keep an East Coast presence.

jstate83
September 8th, 2006, 09:21 AM
JSU had a full stadium for TSU.

There was 55,000 at the TSU/JSU SHC last year.

My guess is about 50,000 plus will be in the Liberty Bowl next weekend at the SHC when TSU playes the REAL JSU...................just kidding Cocky.xlolx :smiley_wi xlolx
Ain't gonna get another GSU/GSU started with JSU/JSU.xlolx

One thing's for sure...........................TSU joins the SWAC, the SHC better get 2 different teams.:eek:

No way JSU play's a SWAC MEMBER in their home state every year.: smh :
You gonna have to come to Memorial.:smiley_wi

Southern Heritage Classic Weekend Info...............:thumbsup: (http://www.southernheritageclassic.com/)

JSUCroft
September 8th, 2006, 10:18 AM

I totally agree.

JSUCroft
September 8th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Do you even know why there was only 3,000 there........................And win's was the last thing that caused that last year.
Perhaps our worst year in school history and still came in the top 10 in fan attendance for the year. xlolx

And as for joining the SWAC, why don't ya'll just join the MEAC.:nod:
Your heart's seem to be running up and down the East coast.:nod:

xlolx

HIU 93
September 8th, 2006, 02:19 PM

1. The discussion that dbackjohn and I were having was about money. RIF, dude.

2. Now you're accusing people of "whoring" themselves. Isn't this a capatalist society? Don't we all have to make money in order to operate? So, when an HBCU attempts to make money, they are whores, but when ANY other school takes a money game or three, it's cool. Boy, you have issues.

mikebigg
September 8th, 2006, 02:44 PM

2. Now you're accusing people of "whoring" themselves. Isn't this a capatalist society? Don't we all have to make money in order to operate? So, when an HBCU attempts to make money, they are whores, but when ANY other school takes a money game or three, it's cool. Boy, you have issues.

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

BTW==> Congrats on the win. We need to make this happen again soon...

dbackjon
September 8th, 2006, 02:48 PM

The decision, like most of college athletics, does indeed come down to money - could the Tigers make more money off of football to offset the added travel expenses.