PDA

View Full Version : #11 James Madison Dukes at #3 Appalachian State Mountaineers

JMU Duke Dog
September 4th, 2006, 08:12 PM
http://www.logoserver.com/college/JamesMadisonDukes17.GIF at http://www.logoserver.com/college/AppalachianStateJustinJ.GIF

I figured since the 2006 regular season national game of the year was approaching in a few days that we needed to start a thread for it. Any comments?

JMU-MRD-DAD
September 4th, 2006, 08:36 PM
http://www.logoserver.com/college/JamesMadisonDukes17.GIF at http://www.logoserver.com/college/AppalachianStateJustinJ.GIF

I figured since the 2006 regular season national game of the year was approaching in a few days that we needed to start a thread for it. Any comments?
I would have to say App State would be the heavy favorite playing at home and after watching JMU squeak by Saturday night.

igo4uni
September 4th, 2006, 08:38 PM
What a great matchup!!

Gotta go with ASU (afterall, they beat my Panthers!)

AppGuy04
September 4th, 2006, 08:40 PM
The battle will be when ASU's offense is on the field. IMO, JMU's defense is the key to their success and ASU needs to show more fire power on offense than they showed against a very good NC State defense.

JMU Duke Dog
September 4th, 2006, 08:41 PM
JMU's offense will have to improve dramatically in this week of practice to have any chance at The Rock. The seniors on JMU need to wake up and realize that the end of their college playing days are over after this season. Hopefully they will be 1,000,000,000 times more pumped up and focused on playing a much better game this upcoming weekend than this past weekend.

AppGuy04
September 4th, 2006, 08:42 PM
JMU's offense will have to improve dramatically in this week of practice to have any chance at The Rock.

agreed, and App's defense held their own against arguably the best running back in the ACC

griz&beer
September 4th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Willl the game be on TV? When and where?

JMU Duke Dog
September 4th, 2006, 08:50 PM
agreed, and App's defense held their own against arguably the best running back in the ACC

I am worried about JMU's running game in 2006 after Banks and Fenner could not run well at all against Bloomsburg compared to the previous three seasons. This could be due to what Coach Matthews said as the offensive line still needing to work on the fundamentals of football following the Bloomsburg game.

JMU Duke Dog
September 4th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Willl the game be on TV? When and where?

The 2006 JMU-ASU game is not going to be televised. Maybe in 2008 when ASU comes to JMU?

JMU Duke Dog
September 4th, 2006, 08:56 PM
My prediction if JMU can play up to its true ability...
Appalachian State 28
James Madison 24

My prediction if JMU plays as poorly as it did this past weekend...
Appalachian State 52
James Madison 7

MR. CHICKEN
September 4th, 2006, 09:33 PM
DAWGS...SLEEP WALKED THRU UH HO-HUM...OPPONENT.....DUH MOUSEKETEERS..ON DUH OTHERAH HAND.......LEFT IT ALL ON DUH TURF...AT STATE............DEY ARE WRUNG DRY.....DAWGS ARE FRESH AS UH STRAWBERRY....TOILET MINT.........MADISON HAS BEEN IN BIG ONES B/4........CHEER UP DOOKIES........BELIEVE!............"WHO LET DUH DAWGS OUT....WHO WHO"!......(hey..whadda ah know....ah'm..jes' uh chicken...whiff issues)............:rotateh:.......A10/AWK.BRAWK!

igo4uni
September 4th, 2006, 09:39 PM
DAWGS...SLEEP WALKED THRU UH HO-HUM...OPPONENT.....DUH MOUSEKETEERS..ON DUH OTHERAH HAND.......LEFT IT ALL ON DUH TURF...AT STATE............DEY ARE WRUNG DRY.....DAWGS ARE FRESH AS UH STRAWBERRY....TOILET MINT.........MADISON HAS BEEN IN BIG ONES B/4........CHEER UP DOOKIES........BELIEVE!............"WHO LET DUH DAWGS OUT....WHO WHO"!......(hey..whadda ah know....ah'm..jes' uh chicken...whiff issues)............:rotateh:.......A10/AWK.BRAWK!

What he said!!:nod: :nod:

JMU Duke Dog
September 4th, 2006, 09:45 PM

Thanks for the support Mr. Chicken! Hopefully JMU can manage to represent the A10 well!

blukeys
September 4th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the support Mr. Chicken! Hopefully JMU can manage to represent the A10 well!

I'm always impressed by anyone who can figure out what Mr. Chicken is saying. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

All I could figure out is that he is a chicken with issues!!!!xidiotx xidiotx

SoCon48
September 4th, 2006, 10:17 PM
I would have to say App State would be the heavy favorite playing at home and after watching JMU squeak by Saturday night.

Even after seeing NC State's DL blow App's away all game?

ngineer
September 4th, 2006, 11:26 PM
This will be JMU's chance to catapult upward--even with a close loss. While the Dukes may not have wanted to show much on tape against Bloomsburg, that game was still shocking considering some of the past scores in that series. I think this will be close. Bloom gave JMU a 'wake up' and they'll want to show they are real. Appalachian will be stinging from last week and one's never sure how a team will react to a tough loss. So a lot of unknowns and early in the season. But my pick, right now, would be ASU-27 JMU-24

blukeys
September 5th, 2006, 12:00 AM
This will be JMU's chance to catapult upward--even with a close loss. While the Dukes may not have wanted to show much on tape against Bloomsburg, that game was still shocking considering some of the past scores in that series. I think this will be close. Bloom gave JMU a 'wake up' and they'll want to show they are real. Appalachian will be stinging from last week and one's never sure how a team will react to a tough loss. So a lot of unknowns and early in the season. But my pick, right now, would be ASU-27 JMU-24

Looks like no one knows more about wake up calls than Lehigh. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

ngineer
September 5th, 2006, 07:56 AM
Looks like no one knows more about wake up calls than Lehigh. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Not true! We won't know if we 'woke up' until this Saturday---THEN I'll let you know if the alarm went off...;)

Apps32
September 5th, 2006, 02:39 PM

If you are trying to say that the Apps will be worn out after playing NCS, ask Western how worn out App was after playing at LSU last year...

GaSouthern
September 5th, 2006, 02:49 PM
ASU wins

32-28

asu70
September 5th, 2006, 03:02 PM
IMO, both teams will be pumped and hopefully those of us in attendance will get to see a classic between the last 2 NC. I think this will be a very close game with App winning by a couple of points. I hope that all JMU fans have a great time at the game and a safe trip.

SunCoastBlueHen
September 5th, 2006, 03:36 PM
I see a hard hitting game dominated more by the defenses. In the end, ASU comes out on top 14-10.

Spider
September 5th, 2006, 04:08 PM
ASU as a 10 point favorite......

windwalker
September 5th, 2006, 04:16 PM
It should be a great game. it should be on ESPN, ESPN2, etc. like last nights game with Florda State and Miami.

GaSouthern
September 5th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Is this game on TV at all???? that makes me sick if its not and our game vs central conn. who is?????

I am glad GSU is on TV and all but APPY is getting screwed by not being on TV here, this should be an obvious TV game for the defending National Champs!

appisgreatest
September 5th, 2006, 07:36 PM
I pick ASU to win by about two touchdowns.

JMU99
September 6th, 2006, 10:36 AM

This statement is a joke right???:eek:

Andre Brown rushed 15 times for 125 yards and a touchdown. That is 8.3 YPC.
As a team NC State ran for 206, 4.7 YPC.

If that is "holding your own," then more power to you.xidiotx

Im not trying to talk smack about the impending game or our weak performance. I am just calling BS when I see it.

AppGuy04
September 6th, 2006, 11:37 AM

Im not trying to talk smack about the impending game or our weak performance. I am just calling BS when I see it.

Considering 43 of those 125 was one play in the 1st quarter, I'd say that was a pretty good job. Need I remind you that we are talking about a team that will probably finish in the top 3 or 4 in rushing in the ACC this year. We only gave up 242 yards total, thats pretty damn good.

Honestly though, I wouldn't be worrying about NC St if I was you. Your team was outgained and outplayed by a DII team. Other than return yardage, they dominated every inch of that field. You were lucky to come out with a win. So call it BS if you wish, but if we play the same and you play the same, were gonna have a "Coastal" on our hands.

UNHknowledge
September 6th, 2006, 11:50 AM
JMU will get beat by ASU. They run a very simple 2 back (iso & power) offense with a little play action. That offense was successful the last two seasons beacause they had the bodies up front. With the young line I just don't see it happening. I see them having a year like they had in 2003 (somewhere around 5-6). Also, I've never been overly impressed with their backfield. They've had success because they've had a great veteran line the last 2 seasons but if any of the backs were real players then one of them would step up and be the guy (rather than platooning 4 guys). I am impressed with JMU's defense though and I think they can keep this game close but I have to give ASU the edge: final score 17-6.

TigerFan17
September 6th, 2006, 11:56 AM
The Dukes are in trouble.

ASU by 2 or 3 TDs.

dctribefan512
September 6th, 2006, 01:04 PM
ASU 24-10. The JMU line just won't be able to open up the holes that their backs need. Rascati and his butterfinger receivers won't be able to pick up the slack.

JMU99
September 6th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Honestly though, I wouldn't be worrying about NC St if I was you. Your team was outgained and outplayed by a DII team. Other than return yardage, they dominated every inch of that field. You were lucky to come out with a win. So call it BS if you wish, but if we play the same and you play the same, were gonna have a "Coastal" on our hands.

There is another ASU rocket scientest there for you.
I clearly said, im not saying that JMU had a good game last saturday or that we will win, I simply challenged the assertion that you "held your own."
It is called STICKING TO THE ISSUE.

jmufootball2
September 6th, 2006, 03:55 PM
our offense is not very simple. we open it up when we have too, which isnt too often. i also dont believe we have a young line either. 3 starters back, 1 d-Ia transfer and a freshman. but you are right, we will get "dominated" again. we are no match for anyone anymore especially with our crappy running backs. i cant wait to pull off the "upset" this weekend.

AppGuy04
September 6th, 2006, 03:56 PM
There is another ASU rocket scientest there for you.
I clearly said, im not saying that JMU had a good game last saturday or that we will win, I simply challenged the assertion that you "held your own."
It is called STICKING TO THE ISSUE.

It is sticking to the issue. At the end of the season, look at Andre Brown's stats and I can almost guarantee that not many will hold him under 100 yards. IMO, we held our own other than the one TD run.

JMU Duke Dog
September 6th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Here was an article from today's Harrisonburg's Daily News-Record...
http://dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=6176&CHID=3

Dukes Step It Up
With Appalachian State next, James Madison hopes its opener against Bloomsburg was a fluke.

By Mike Barber

HARRISONBURG – One thing that’s impossible to simulate in football practice is adversity.

"They asked Coach Bryant one time, after they had played bad at Alabama, if there was some dissension on his team," JMU coach Mickey Matthews said Tuesday of the Crimson Tide’s legendary coach, Bear Bryant. "He said none that he knew of, but he was going to cause some."

After playing an absolute stinker in their opening game – and heading to a meeting with the top-ranked and reigning Division I-AA national champions from Appalachian State – the 12th-ranked Dukes don’t need to fake any adversity this week. They have it in excess.

(continued... (http://dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=6176&CHID=3))

SoCon48
September 6th, 2006, 06:11 PM
This is scary:
The Dukes had six sacks, including two by senior linebacker Isaiah Dottin-Carter (Somerville, Mass./Cambridge Rindge & Latin).
The fact that Bloomsburg was running a new quarterback helps explain it, though.

September 6th, 2006, 06:47 PM
App St by 19 TDs and a few FGs, plus some safeties... JMU must really be baaaaaaaaad.

GaSouthern
September 6th, 2006, 07:55 PM
all i know is there will be more people at the GSU -ASU game ;)

JMU Duke Dog
September 6th, 2006, 09:56 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/agn4039378.htm

GAME OF THE WEEK

No. 12 James Madison (1-0) at No. 1 Appalachian State (0-1), 3:30

It wasn't difficult to figure out what game to see this week. I'll be in Boone on Saturday for a matchup between the last two national champions, which is the most intriguing non-conference game of the year and has to rank near the top of the list for the most-hyped regular season game we’ve seen this decade. While James Madison and Delaware squared off in a meeting of the last two champions a year ago, that game was in October and the Blue Hens’ playoff chances were already hanging by a thread. This early-season game brings two teams with realistic goals of not only making the playoffs, but also winning another title. James Madison still has key players like Justin Rascati and Tony LeZotte from its championship season, and the Mountaineers return the nucleus from the team that won 12 of its 13 games against I-AA foes last year. Despite the high expectations, the loser of this game could have serious question marks, since neither squad looked particularly impressive last week. James Madison trailed Division II Bloomsburg, 3-0, going into the fourth quarter before pulling out a 14-3 victory. The Dukes’ usually strong running game managed just 99 yards on 30 carries, and the team only put up 219 yards of total offense. The Dukes have the weapons on offense to challenge the tough Mountaineer defense, with Maurice Fenner and Alvin Banks at running back, Justin Rascati at quarterback and a few quality wide receivers. But the offensive line is still trying to come together, and could have a tough time against an Appalachian State defensive line led by Marques Murrell. With an offense that usually relies on the running attack, the Dukes might also have trouble throwing against an Appalachian State secondary with two All-Americans at safety and solid cornerbacks. But the James Madison defense did look pretty good in the opener, and faces an Appalachian State offense that turned the ball over twice and managed only 133 yards in a 23-10 loss at North Carolina State on Saturday. Quarterback Trey Elder was only 4-of-14 for 58 yards in that game, and he still has to prove he can excel in the starting role. The Mountaineers will also look to get Kevin Richardson going after he totaled 34 yards last week, but it won’t be easy against the Dukes’ run defense. NC State has a better defense that James Madison, but the poor production from the Mountaineer offense could still indicate that the unit is not quite up to speed yet. While the offense has to improve, it should be able to notch at least a few scores. And the Mountaineer defense is good enough to make that hold up. They forced four turnovers by NC State last week, and will make things very difficult for a James Madison offense that looks like it still has to work out the kinks. It doesn’t hurt for the Mountaineers to play at home in Boone, where they have not lost since the 2002 postseason. Both teams will probably play more effectively after shaky openers, but the defense and home field will lift the Mountaineers to a 10-point win.

Prediction: Appalachian State 24, James Madison 14

AppGuy04
September 7th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Good analysis, sounds about right to me, wouldn't surprise me if its one score closer

SoCon48
September 7th, 2006, 09:08 AM
App St by 19 TDs and a few FGs, plus some safeties... JMU must really be baaaaaaaaad.

Haven't seen any App fan make any outlandish predictions, thus the sarcasm is a little uncalled for. I know, I know, it's your board and you can mock the Apps and App fans all you want.
We took our cracks from A-10 fans, Montanans, Youngstowners, GSU'ers, new programs, I-A's etc etc for years. So we take a little pride in finally redeeming ourselves just a smidgeon by winning one little wooden plaque in Chattanooga, with four or five top quality players returning this season, show a little confidence in having another good season, and we catch mocking and sarcasm from every angle.:rolleyes:

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 7th, 2006, 09:20 AM
I'm just glad people are expecting us to lose, so that the win will be so much sweeter. Our line is better than advertised. Corey Davis and Apted are top quality tackles (1 an All-American and 1 a transfer who started for Utah - he transfered for family reasons, not becuase of "playing time"). Our center is a solid player but we are a little green at the guard positions, the loss of Magerko hurts the most. Overall, I would consider our line among the best. Yes, it does need a few games to gel, but don't discount them too much or it might be a quick game on the ground with your All-American Secondary getting tired of defending the run. Like NCSt, we have three guys over 300# and average height is 6'2" compared to their 6'4" line.

Oh and our sacks can be attributed to athleticism, not a freshman QB. If he had played like a freshman QB, T. Lezotte would have had more than one pick. He was careful with the football and had good movement in the pocket, but we were able to hunt him down on the run with our speed. You've seen the same thing from Furman's linebackers, so you should be used to it by now... :smiley_wi

JMU2004
September 7th, 2006, 09:27 AM
quick question..... who is the ASU backup QB?

I have a feeling that both QBs will take some shots from the D

for JMU, R-Soph Rodney Landers. He is a true athlete, but not much of a passer(based on last year)

AppGuy04
September 7th, 2006, 09:51 AM
quick question..... who is the ASU backup QB?

I have a feeling that both QBs will take some shots from the D

for JMU, R-Soph Rodney Landers. He is a true athlete, but not much of a passer(based on last year)

Armanti Edwards, dual threat QB
http://www.goasu.com/4/roster/4798/?fSession=088171efd85983b9d25c2517871d72e1f9b2ffc7

September 7th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Haven't seen any App fan make any outlandish predictions, thus the sarcasm is a little uncalled for... we catch mocking and sarcasm from every angle.:rolleyes:Wow, a bit thin-skinned are we? :eyebrow:

SoCon48
September 7th, 2006, 10:01 AM

App didn't hold its own in every category, but

Some stats to partially justify the other poster's "holding its own" claim.

State: 3 of 12 on 3rd down conversions.
State: 2 yards per punt return
State & ASU 1 int each
ASU 13.2 yds/completion State 5.8
Held State to 13 FD's and 3 of those were from penalties

I'd rate the home team advantage Saturday (State's largest crowd ever) at 10 pts
Considering ASU held the margin to 13 points in front of a hostile crowd in a very loud stadium (due to its engineering and 57K fans), played the whole first quarter with its backs to the wall..literally (triggered mostly as the result of a bad snap for a safety) , I'd say yes ASU very much held its own. To boot, App started a new QB under such dire circumstances. The one bad snap into the end zone on 1st possession leading to 2 pts in the first minutes as wel, as having to kick off on the safety from the 20 seconds later, set the tone for a while.
We slobber knocked them at least as many times as they did our guys. That's holding our own in that regard.
They pretty much played the 1st units due to the closeness of the score until the last 4:08. That's holding our own.
App held them to 0 pts in the 4th qtr and no more than one score in any other qtr. We held our own in that regard.
One of their TD's came as an immediate result of an interception.
If our line blocks well and ASU wins by 13 over JMU, I wouldn't expect you to then come on here and post that JMU held its own.

SoCon48
September 7th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Wow, a bit thin-skinned are we? :eyebrow:

No more than you on your average day, for sure.

SoCon48
September 7th, 2006, 10:07 AM
I'm just glad people are expecting us to lose, so that the win will be so much sweeter. Our line is better than advertised. Corey Davis and Apted are top quality tackles (1 an All-American and 1 a transfer who started for Utah - he transfered for family reasons, not becuase of "playing time"). Our center is a solid player but we are a little green at the guard positions, the loss of Magerko hurts the most. Overall, I would consider our line among the best. Yes, it does need a few games to gel, but don't discount them too much or it might be a quick game on the ground with your All-American Secondary getting tired of defending the run. Like NCSt, we have three guys over 300# and average height is 6'2" compared to their 6'4" line.

Oh and our sacks can be attributed to athleticism, not a freshman QB. If he had played like a freshman QB, T. Lezotte would have had more than one pick. He was careful with the football and had good movement in the pocket, but we were able to hunt him down on the run with our speed. You've seen the same thing from Furman's linebackers, so you should be used to it by now... :smiley_wi

And Rascati, as good as he is, would have seen it last year, too when sandwiched by Hunter and Murrell had you played App twice last year like we did Furman.
Plus, I really don't recall Furman sacking us that much last year in the semi-finals, even though Elder was our 2nd string QB. I do recall him rushing for two TD's vs the Furman defense and leading the team to 436 yds total offense.
And I do vividly recall it being Furman's fifth consecutive loss at the Rock. If all goes well Saturday on the field that is, the last time the Dukes will feel welcome in K B S, is around 3 O'Clock or a bit earlier when the announcer says, "Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen and welcome to Kidd Brewer Stadium."
Otherwise, I hope the Dukes enjoy their stay.

JMU99
September 7th, 2006, 11:52 AM
It is sticking to the issue. At the end of the season, look at Andre Brown's stats and I can almost guarantee that not many will hold him under 100 yards. IMO, we held our own other than the one TD run.

You did not hold him to under 100 yards. You cant simply throw out his longest run. That play happened, it counts! I am always amused when people say "well, if you taxe this and that away, then it was real close." Well, sure. But, you cant take those things away. Brown had a strong performance on only 15 carries against your D. He probably would have run for a lot more against us. But the fact reamins, he ran well against your D.:twocents:

DB_Atlantic10
September 7th, 2006, 12:32 PM
These arguments are going nowhere.... on Sat there will a slug fest between the two past Champions...so as I see it, both teams have championship calibre programs and the best team that day win.... Neither team in invincible and probably won't win it all this year...so with that being said, I look forward to the outcome Sat....:thumbsup:

SoCon48
September 7th, 2006, 01:35 PM
I guess we can spin this thing all we want, but I'll bet 6 things for the remainder of the season:

1. NC State beats at least one I-A (ACC or other) by more than they beat little ol paycheck seeking ASU.
2. Brown has more than one bigger rushing game (vs I-A's) this season than he got vs ASU
3. Stone has more than one better day vs I-A's than vs ASU
4. More total offense than vs ASU
5. More rushing yards than vs App
6. Holds someone else (I-A) to less points

JMU2004
September 7th, 2006, 01:40 PM
I guess we can spin this thing all we want, but I'll bet 6 things for the remainder of the season:

1. NC State beats at least one I-A (ACC or other) by more than they beat little ol paycheck seeking ASU.
2. Brown has more than one bigger rushing game (vs I-A's) this season than he got vs ASU

wow, way to go out on a limb there. xidiotx

AppGuy04
September 7th, 2006, 01:40 PM
You did not hold him to under 100 yards. You cant simply throw out his longest run. That play happened, it counts! I am always amused when people say "well, if you taxe this and that away, then it was real close." Well, sure. But, you cant take those things away. Brown had a strong performance on only 15 carries against your D. He probably would have run for a lot more against us. But the fact reamins, he ran well against your D.:twocents:

He ran well b/c he is a beast. A 232 lb truck coming thru any D line, including those in the ACC. He is one of the best backs on the east coast. I believe we played well considering. If you don't agree, thats fine, keep your struggle to win against Bloomsburg, we will take our paycheck and out respectability. Thanks again

Saint3333
September 7th, 2006, 03:14 PM
I don't care what NC State does the rest of the year, all that matters now is what ASU does to JMU. See you boys of Saturday with hopefully 25K of my favorite people.

TheValleyRaider
September 7th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Should be a fun one. Too bad it's not on TV anywhere (although if that TV was something other than CN8 or ESPN, I still couldn't watch it :bang: ).

From the first week, it looks like JMU and ASU are still working out kinks from the offseason. We know at least that both teams are talented and have the capability of winning a lot of games. It's hard to take much else from their first games, even with Bloomsburg pushing the Dukes harder than they expected. I'm not one for picking scores, so I'm not even going to try. Defense will win the day here, although hopefully not quite like Monday's FSU-Miami game. No disrespect to JMU, but homefield, especially a homefield advantage like the Mountaineers bring to the table, will be the difference Saturday.

:twocents:

KiddBrewer
September 7th, 2006, 04:13 PM

very well put, indeed.

jmufootball2
September 7th, 2006, 04:27 PM
i would hope state improves, it was the first game of the season. and yes they will get better stats and score more points against acc teams as the offense gets more comfortable.