PDA

View Full Version : Running up the score

DaGriz
September 4th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Hauck had no criticism for Iowa's tack-on TD with six seconds remaining. “Kirk Ferentz is a great guy, a great coach,” he said. “It's our job to stop him, not his.”

I like this quote. I brought this topic up a few months back. Especially in the playoffs, but really at any time, running up the score shouldn't even be a word in football. If you don't want to get it handed to you, play better or don't play the game. Hauck was accused of running up the score a while back in the playoffs. Iowa could have sat on the ball at the end of the game and not scored that last touchdown. They had their back ups in, their third stringers got it to the goal line, they should have every opportunity to put it in if they want. It was Montanas job to keep them from running it up, not Iowa's.

RadMann
September 4th, 2006, 05:53 PM
I agree. UD used to run into this accusation occasionally but I had heard the coaches say that when you put in second or third stringers who want to prove themselves it is really hard to stop them from executing unless you take a knee on every play.

JohnStOnge
September 4th, 2006, 05:53 PM
McNeese had a similar thing happen. Both teams had cleared the benches and South Florida got a 50+ yard TD run on the last play of the game. Some McNeese fans have said a knee should've been taken. But, hey, if somebody scores running a back up the middle on the last play of the game from more than 50 yards out they're not running up the score. Somebody should have tackled him.

Mountain Panther
September 4th, 2006, 05:57 PM
I like this quote. I brought this topic up a few months back. Especially in the playoffs, but really at any time, running up the score shouldn't even be a word in football. If you don't want to get it handed to you, play better or don't play the game. Hauck was accused of running up the score a while back in the playoffs. Iowa could have sat on the ball at the end of the game and not scored that last touchdown. They had their back ups in, their third stringers got it to the goal line, they should have every opportunity to put it in if they want. It was Montanas job to keep them from running it up, not Iowa's.

More points on the board = more BCS points. It's a sad, sad system.

Golden Eagle
September 4th, 2006, 06:06 PM
More points on the board = more BCS points. It's a sad, sad system.

Wrong, margin of victory was taken out of the BCS a couple of years ago.

eaglesrthe1
September 4th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Wrong, margin of victory was taken out of the BCS a couple of years ago.

MOV hasn't been taken out of the polls, however. They are part of the BCS system too.

Ronbo
September 4th, 2006, 06:46 PM

If Hauck feels that way then why does he take a knee in every frickin' game we play? Is he a hypocrite? Why does he run the ball every play in the 4th quarter? Doesn't he want the scrubs to get experience? It's Brady Green, Brady Green, Brady Green. Then take a knee every game. Kripes, we took a knee on the one yard line last year with a minute to go against somebody, I can't remember who right now. If he doesn't mind running up the score then let's do it. Let's let those 3rd string receivers and QB's get some passing TD's.

And don't even tell me it's OK for other teams to do it to us but we shouldn't do it. That's just stupid.

September 4th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Iowa should have taken a knee. It's called sportsmanship.

igo4uni
September 4th, 2006, 07:57 PM

In that situation, I agree.

igo4uni
September 4th, 2006, 08:00 PM
In that situation, I agree.

I should clarify. In the McNeese scenario described above, I believe that running the play was fine because they were 50+ yards away from scoring.

In the Iowa vs. Montana game, Iowa was a few yards from scoring and should have taken a knee. :twocents:

griz37
September 4th, 2006, 08:10 PM

This is just my :twocents: But if you ask me this is what is wrong w/sports & our society in general today. We spend too much time worrying that we are going to hurt someone's feelings. What about the Iowa guy who has been practicing his tail off for the last 4 years, acting as a tackling dummy, running the oppositions offense in practice & never actually getting to play. Should he be denied the rare opportunity for some small bit of glory because a small minority of Montana fans like 34-7 better then 41-7? Sorry but this is not pony league softball. The Griz players are all big boys & can handle that last second touchdown. Why did they even play the 4th quarter? We all knew the game was out of hand. Anything Iowa did was unnecesary for them to win.

SoCon48
September 4th, 2006, 08:14 PM
I agree. UD used to run into this accusation occasionally but I had heard the coaches say that when you put in second or third stringers who want to prove themselves it is really hard to stop them from executing unless you take a knee on every play.

Just an aside. In my early days of coaching basketball, the opposing coach "threw in the towel, " put in his 2nd string after we had built up a sizeable lead on his boys toward the middle of the fourth qtr. I responded quickly by sending in my whole second string. I'll be damned if he didn't then call time out, seemed to be talking to those subs he had inserted only a minute or two before and put his whole 1st team back in the game!!:eek:

September 4th, 2006, 08:15 PM
... this is what is wrong w/sports & our society in general today...sportsmanship is an ancient concept. what is wrong today is the GRIND THEM TIL THEY DIE / TAKE WHATEVER YOU CAN GET AWAY WITH attitude.

I Bleed Purple
September 4th, 2006, 08:19 PM
First game of the season, no, don't take a knee. I want those second or third stringers getting a couple of reps.

Conference game. Go ahead, take a knee. Most of your backups have played in game situations and such.

81 points...

McNeese75
September 4th, 2006, 08:32 PM
I should clarify. In the McNeese scenario described above, I believe that running the play was fine because they were 50+ yards away from scoring.

In the Iowa vs. Montana game, Iowa was a few yards from scoring and should have taken a knee. :twocents:

I agree :nod: :thumbsup:

griz37
September 4th, 2006, 08:33 PM
sportsmanship is an ancient concept. what is wrong today is the GRIND THEM TIL THEY DIE / TAKE WHATEVER YOU CAN GET AWAY WITH attitude.

I agree wholeheartedly w/you Ralph. Sportsmanship is a dying concept. Thats why I love playoff hockey. Play 7 hard & physical games then line up & shake the opponents hand at the end. I just don't think scoring a TD w/a 3rd string running back, on a run play, is poor sportsmanship.

GeauxColonels
September 4th, 2006, 08:43 PM
I think it's one thing if you have your first stringers still in a game which is obviously out of hand and the other team has absolutely no chance to come back...and you are still throwing 30yd post patterns. However, if a coach has his 2nd and even third string team in, then they deserve every opportunity to execute the team's offense in a game situation.

Ronbo
September 4th, 2006, 08:51 PM
My question to DaGriz and Griz37 is why don't we do it? Why do we let up and take a knee every game? Are we so above the teams we play that we can't treat them like men and make them stop us?

PapaBear
September 4th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Click the "Sacred Cows" page on this site for an interesting take on running up the score.

http://www.oldschoolsportsparenting.com/

griz37
September 4th, 2006, 09:05 PM
My question to DaGriz and Griz37 is why don't we do it? Why do we let up and take a knee every game? Are we so above the teams we play that we can't treat them like men and make them stop us?

Ronbo, just because the Griz do something doesn't mean it is the right answer. I seem to recall backup QB Jason Washington getting injured on a QB draw in the final seconds of the game at NAU last year. If the Griz weren't trying to score why didn't Hauck just call a kneel down? Plus I don't recall any situations in recent years where the Griz had the ball at the opponents 2 yard line w/less than 10 seconds to go. Its a lot easier to take a knee at your own 40.

Ronbo
September 4th, 2006, 09:10 PM
They took a knee on the one last year. Hey I'm all for letting the boys play till the last second. Turn em' loose. Let's throw the hail mary on the last play when ahead by 40, let's go for it.

griz37
September 4th, 2006, 09:13 PM
They took a knee on the one last year. Hey I'm all for letting the boys play till the last second. Turn em' loose. Let's throw the hail mary on the last play when ahead by 40, let's go for it.

Way to be vague Ronbo. What game did they take a knee when they had a chance to score. You didn't anser my ? as to why Jason Washington wasn't taking a knee vs NAU.

blukeys
September 4th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Click the "Sacred Cows" page on this site for an interesting take on running up the score.

http://www.oldschoolsportsparenting.com/

Great site. As someone who coached for many years I could not agree more!!!

D1B
September 4th, 2006, 09:27 PM

I would agree if this was one of the last games of the season. They have a brutal Big Ten schedule ahead of em and they should take every opportunity to work out the kinks, now.

igo4uni
September 4th, 2006, 09:36 PM
I would agree if this was one of the last games of the season. They have a brutal Big Ten schedule ahead of em and they should take every opportunity to work out the kinks, now.

Work out the kinks when they are inside the 5 yard line with less than 10 seconds to play?? How much good is that going to do the backups??

blukeys
September 4th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Ronbo, just because the Griz do something doesn't mean it is the right answer. I seem to recall backup QB Jason Washington getting injured on a QB draw in the final seconds of the game at NAU last year. If the Griz weren't trying to score why didn't Hauck just call a kneel down? Plus I don't recall any situations in recent years where the Griz had the ball at the opponents 2 yard line w/less than 10 seconds to go. Its a lot easier to take a knee at your own 40.

Agree with your position Griz. And I disagree with those who somehow see "taking a knee" as some sort OF a display of sportsmanship (I guess you can take it that way but that is not the main purpose). Taking a knee is the safest means for running out the clock at the end of the game. The Pros do it all the time. Running a high risk play at the end of the game exposes your team to a turnover which can be converted into a score for the other team (and a subsequent on side kick). In addition, it can also expose a player to injury when the game is no longer in doubt.

The Miracle of the Meadowlands cost the NY Giants a game and a playoff spot because they ran a play instead of "taking a knee" . Current KC head coach Herman Edwards recovered a fumble that came from a poor handoff and ran it into the end zone, giving the Philly Eagles a win in a game where they were deader than dead.

While this is the most famous example of why teams should take a knee, One can come up with many others.

Ronbo appears to be of the view that Montana is the only team that takes a knee. Nothing could be further from the truth. Montana may appear to do this more than other teams but taking a knee is something you do if you are winning!!!!!!:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

If you win more you take the knee more. I hope to see Delaware taking a knee every week for the next 15 weeks!!!!!!xlolx xlolx :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Kill'em
September 4th, 2006, 10:08 PM
What do y'all think georgia did to us in '04? They were up comfortably late in the game and Coach Richt put his entire starting offense back in for the final drive.

I say :nono:

September 4th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Work out the kinks when they are inside the 5 yard line with less than 10 seconds to play?? How much good is that going to do the backups??X__________________ co-sign :nod:

http://www.oldschoolsportsparenting.com/ <---- the article was repugnant. Maybe that guy that beat his kid in Friday Night Lights wrote it??? :nonono2: :nonono2: xidiotx :nonono2: :nonono2: :nono:

SoCon48
September 4th, 2006, 10:58 PM
What do y'all think georgia did to us in '04? They were up comfortably late in the game and Coach Richt put his entire starting offense back in for the final drive.

Did Georgia score on the last drive? If so, I see the final score was 48-28, making the score approximately 41 or 40 to 28 prior to the drive. 12 or 13 is hardly a run away. A fumble recovery and quick score coupled with an onside kick and GSU could have taken the win away. Georgia coach was no dummy.

DaGriz
September 4th, 2006, 11:35 PM
Way to be vague Ronbo. What game did they take a knee when they had a chance to score. You didn't anser my ? as to why Jason Washington wasn't taking a knee vs NAU.

That's what I was going to say. I can't remember when we took a knee in a situation like that, although that doesn't mean it hasn't happened I just don't remember it. It seems like we have taken a knee a few times outside the 20, that's fine, protect from injuries. Remember Cal Poly's QB going down last year on the last play of the first game on a pointless play when the game was over? I don't mind if Hauck protects from that.

Back to the subject, if I was a 3rd string Griz player getting a chance to play in Kinnick stadium and I ran on the field and Iowa took a kneed I'd be pissed. If I was an Iowa senior who never got to see the field and I finally got a chance I wouldn't want to take a knee either. I would imagine the coach said "You scrubs have one chance to get it in the endzone, this is your reward for all your hard work". I have no problem with that and I would have no problem with our back up players doing the same thing to a Fort Lewis or somebody like that.

seantaylor
September 4th, 2006, 11:36 PM
Yep. It was a 13 point game with less than a minute to go win UGAy scored.

blukeys
September 4th, 2006, 11:40 PM
X__________________ co-sign :nod:

http://www.oldschoolsportsparenting.com/ <---- the article was repugnant. Maybe that guy that beat his kid in Friday Night Lights wrote it??? :nonono2: :nonono2: xidiotx :nonono2: :nonono2: :nono:

You are off base on this website. Tell be where did this guy advocating beating kids???????????????

September 4th, 2006, 11:42 PM
You are off base on this website. Tell be where did this guy advocating beating kids???????????????I NEVER SAID HE DID!!!!

blukeys
September 4th, 2006, 11:57 PM
I NEVER SAID HE DID!!!!

No you just compared him to the guy In Friday Night Lights who did beat his son. To Quote You:

"Originally Posted by ralph
X__________________ co-sign

http://www.oldschoolsportsparenting.com/ <---- the article was repugnant. Maybe that guy that beat his kid in Friday Night Lights wrote it???

Don't play cute. You are stating the guy who beat his kid on Friday Night Lights is the author of this WEBSITE.

Get real Ralph. You are nailed. You accused this guy of being the equivalent of the guy who is a child beater.

September 5th, 2006, 12:15 AM
No you just compared him to the guy In Friday Night Lights who did beat his son. Don't play cute. You are stating the guy who beat his kid on Friday Night Lights is the author of this WEBSITE. Get real Ralph. You are nailed. You accused this guy of being the equivalent of the guy who is a child beater.Wow! Getting rather overexcited? Check out Hattie fer a sec... xlolx
I said the article was repugnant IMHO. I suggested that it could have been written by the (fictional) guy in Friday Night Lights. Don't mistake what I said. There was no child beating accusation about the author, I have no idea who the person is. The fictional guy is not "the author of this WEBSITE." The article was heartless IMHO. Maybe that fictional guy IS writing articles? xlolx (or Woody Hayes, Bobby Knight, etc.)

I hope you are not the person that wrote the article...

SoCon48
September 5th, 2006, 04:05 AM
Yep. It was a 13 point game with less than a minute to go win UGAy scored.

Then in my opinion that sheds a diff light on the coaching decision. Any smart coach, including whomever was coaching GSU (PJ I assume) would have done the same thing. he not only kept the game just out of GSU's reach, but he assured the fanbase of a significant margin of victory without actually being accused of blowing the Eagles out in thier home state.
Respect for the opponent is a quality all coaches should have.

D1B
September 5th, 2006, 05:27 AM
Work out the kinks when they are inside the 5 yard line with less than 10 seconds to play?? How much good is that going to do the backups??

To answer...

Goal line offense practice where specific schemes, plays and players are used. Again, first game of the season against live competition. You only get a few shots at scenarios before the conference season begins.

Confidence boost to young players that they took part in a scoring drive.

D1B
September 5th, 2006, 05:44 AM
X__________________ co-sign :nod:

There nothing more crappy for a second or third teamer, then getting a rare chance to play, in front of your home fans, and the coach calling dives up the middle or worse, taking a knee. Those kids bust their asses every day getting their asses kicked on the scout team and they deserve to play, really play, when their rare chances arise. Real execution against live competition makes them better and ultimately makes the starters better. This game is so competitive that a coach must take every opportunity to improve. These early game are critical in establishing consistency, timing and execution. And for coaches, to see what plays may work.

It's also a thrill for the starters to see their backups play and be successful.

Again, if this was the last game or so of the season, take a knee, but it's not.

Not everything is black and white. Your thoughts on sportsmanship are really nice and valid in other circumstances (like calling a drop kick or flea flicker), but this is football. A coaches first obligation is ultimately to his players and their development and well being. It's nice that Hauck recognizes this, and that's why he's a great coach.

Kill'em
September 5th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Then in my opinion that sheds a diff light on the coaching decision. Any smart coach, including whomever was coaching GSU (PJ I assume) would have done the same thing. he not only kept the game just out of GSU's reach, but he assured the fanbase of a significant margin of victory without actually being accused of blowing the Eagles out in thier home state.
Respect for the opponent is a quality all coaches should have.
I find it more funny than upsetting. Richt was going to look bad in the polls so he sends his first team back out. Many of us were laughing.

PantherMan
September 5th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Just to play a little "Devil's Advocate"... I think that it would have been "Un-Sportsmanlike" to TAKE a knee at the end of this game! That is like saying "You guys aren't worth us wasting a play or two, we're so much better than you, WE don't even have to play the last few minutes!" I guess when 2nd and 3rd stringers are in there, I would rather see them actually play the game then to sit on their thumbs. UNI threw a deep pass with our 3rd String QB against Drake to a JUCO playing his first game with just under 4:00 left in the game; is that Unsportsmanlike too, to see what your backups can do?? Should coaches in basketball games tell their substitutes to just go out and dribble and pass the ball until the clock runs out? Should a baseball team just send their backup players out to intentionally strike out at the end of a game? Or better yet, to tell their relief pitcher to just lob the ball in so that the other team at least has a chance to hit it? Taking a knee with backups to "make the other team feel better" is just another example of what I like to call "The Pussification of America"...:twocents: xcoffeex

PapaBear
September 5th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Taking a knee with backups to "make the other team feel better" is just another example of what I like to call "The Pussification of America"...:twocents: xcoffeex

Pussification....xlolx xlolx xlolx :nod: :nod: :nod:
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: xlolx xlolx xlolx

We're talking about the margin of victory in a sports contest, fer cripessakes, not world hunger. Go lick your wounds and come back to fight another day.

Ronbo
September 5th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Man it seems to me that every NFL game I watch they take a knee. You guys calling them pussies? Several Iowa fans have posted that the last TD was unnecessary and they were puzzled they did it. Let's face it Iowa was embarrassed that we hung around till the third quarter and they tried to embarrass us at the end. That is what it was all about.

griz37
September 5th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Man it seems to me that every NFL game I watch they take a knee. You guys calling them pussies? Several Iowa fans have posted that the last TD was unnecessary and they were puzzled they did it. Let's face it Iowa was embarrassed that we hung around till the third quarter and they tried to embarrass us at the end. That is what it was all about.

xcoffeex Ronbo I am still waiting to hear what game it was that we took a knee in scoring position last year. If you have no basis for your statement that we always take a knee then at least admit it. I for one am no more embarassed by the 41-7 score then I would be 34-7. Anybody who watched or listened to the game knows it was close until midway in the 3rd, nothing to be ashamed of.

eaglesrthe1
September 5th, 2006, 09:01 AM

Poor analogy. GSU had closed to within two scores. Sealing the win... is not the same as piling it on.

PapaBear
September 5th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Let's face it Iowa was embarrassed that we hung around till the third quarter and they tried to embarrass us at the end. That is what it was all about.

I understand the sentiment. But here's the point: Just how badly WERE you embarrassed, really? And how quickly did you get over it?

My guess is, the Griz players walked off the field with their heads pretty high, given the way they played. I watched the whole game. If Iowa needed that last TD to reassure itself that they "blew you out," so be it. Everyone who watched the game knows otherwise. And the few Griz fans who insist on beating the "poor sportsmanship" dead horse aren't exactly models of dignity, either.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

grizbeer
September 5th, 2006, 09:20 AM
In the post-game interview Mick asked Bobby about the last touchdown, and Hauck took responsibility for it with a weird twist - he said it was his fault because he called for the block on the punt instead of a return, which of course resulted in 15 yard penalty and Iowa retaining possession and ultimately scoring. Sounded like Hauck thought Iowa scoring instead of taking a knee was a "payback" for the attempted block, instead of the Griz playing out the end of the game conservatively.

I don't know if it was unsportsmanlike to score that last touchdown, but I don't think it was a smart decision - what if that 3rd string QB had been injured, or a lineman had twisted an ankle on that play for a TD you didn't need - if there had been an injury we wouldn't be debating the sportsmanship of it, but the stupidity of it, and why would you ever take needless chances that can make you look stupid.

mlbowl
September 5th, 2006, 09:29 AM
......up by 27 with 2 min to go and you're still throwing the ball:mad: lots of class Iowa:thumbsup:

McTailGator
September 5th, 2006, 09:41 AM

Agreed.

It was a simple Dive play by a 3rd string full back. We didn't stop him and we had 11 chances and 60+ yards to do it in. Coaches didn't expect a TD for USF, and you can't blame the kid for wanting to take it to the hose.

GtFllsGriz
September 5th, 2006, 11:49 AM
PapaBear said: My guess is, the Griz players walked off the field with their heads pretty high, given the way they played. I watched the whole game. If Iowa needed that last TD to reassure itself that they "blew you out," so be it. Everyone who watched the game knows otherwise.

You are right on the mark. Games are very emotional for most of us die-hard fans and we should wait at least three days before we post. I hated it when Iowa scored that last TD because it was not indicative of how the score was much closer. I think we (all fans) want the world to see a score which more accurately reflects what the total game looked like instead of just the end result. But, as you said, those that were there know the reality and that is what matters.

Having a late TD tacked on always leaves a bad taste in my mouth but it is merely a reaction to the TD being scored and not blame placed on the victor any more than blame placed on the defense that gave it up.

D1B
September 5th, 2006, 12:11 PM
In the post-game interview Mick asked Bobby about the last touchdown, and Hauck took responsibility for it with a weird twist - he said it was his fault because he called for the block on the punt instead of a return, which of course resulted in 15 yard penalty and Iowa retaining possession and ultimately scoring. Sounded like Hauck thought Iowa scoring instead of taking a knee was a "payback" for the attempted block, instead of the Griz playing out the end of the game conservatively.

I don't know if it was unsportsmanlike to score that last touchdown, but I don't think it was a smart decision - what if that 3rd string QB had been injured, or a lineman had twisted an ankle on that play for a TD you didn't need - if there had been an injury we wouldn't be debating the sportsmanship of it, but the stupidity of it, and why would you ever take needless chances that can make you look stupid.

With all due respect Beer, I don't know, but I doubt that's the way it went down.

D1B
September 5th, 2006, 12:14 PM
PapaBear said: My guess is, the Griz players walked off the field with their heads pretty high, given the way they played. I watched the whole game. If Iowa needed that last TD to reassure itself that they "blew you out," so be it. Everyone who watched the game knows otherwise.

You are right on the mark. Games are very emotional for most of us die-hard fans and we should wait at least three days before we post. I hated it when Iowa scored that last TD because it was not indicative of how the score was much closer. I think we (all fans) want the world to see a score which more accurately reflects what the total game looked like instead of just the end result. But, as you said, those that were there know the reality and that is what matters.

Having a late TD tacked on always leaves a bad taste in my mouth but it is merely a reaction to the TD being scored and not blame placed on the victor any more than blame placed on the defense that gave it up.

Good and honest post. Key words in bold above. Ask most, if not all players and they'll tell you that they would have went for the score had the tables been turned.

Gentlemen, this is college, not professional, football.:twocents:

grizbeer
September 5th, 2006, 01:59 PM
With all due respect Beer, I don't know, but I doubt that's the way it went down.
you could be right D1B, and maybe Hauck didn't mean it that way, he wasn't happy about the TD, but didn't blame Iowa, he blamed himself. maybe he just meant that if he had set-up a return on the punt Iowa would not have had the chance to score.

Cap'n Cat
September 5th, 2006, 02:59 PM
There nothing more crappy for a second or third teamer, then getting a rare chance to play, in front of your home fans, and the coach calling dives up the middle or worse, taking a knee. Those kids bust their asses every day getting their asses kicked on the scout team and they deserve to play, really play, when their rare chances arise. Real execution against live competition makes them better and ultimately makes the starters better. This game is so competitive that a coach must take every opportunity to improve. These early game are critical in establishing consistency, timing and execution. And for coaches, to see what plays may work.

It's also a thrill for the starters to see their backups play and be successful.

Again, if this was the last game or so of the season, take a knee, but it's not.

Not everything is black and white. Your thoughts on sportsmanship are really nice and valid in other circumstances (like calling a drop kick or flea flicker), but this is football. A coaches first obligation is ultimately to his players and their development and well being. It's nice that Hauck recognizes this, and that's why he's a great coach.

Agree 1000% with D1B and Hauck.

D1B is correct about benchers getting into a game, for perhaps only once in a career, then having to take a knee in front of Mom, Dad, Li'l Bro, Li'l Sis, and Jennie, your highschool sweetheart/soon to be fiancee'. Embarrassing. Having never played the game, most of you cannot understand.

Hauck is right about defense's business being to stop the offense.

This should not be an issue. I watched the entire game, rooted for the Griz vociferously, and was not at all uncomfortable when Iowa scored that last TD (and, egalitarian that Cap'n Cat is, he gets pretty sensitive about that shat). In no way shape or form were they goring the Griz. The Griz coulda stopped 'em.

Appeals to oldtime notions of "decency" and "sportsmanship" are lost here, guys. Leave that crap at home.

: smh : : smh : : smh : : smh :

D1B
September 5th, 2006, 09:36 PM
......up by 27 with 2 min to go and you're still throwing the ball:mad: lots of class Iowa:thumbsup:

Hold your head high. That your program was able to hold its own in Kinnick, without a doubt one of the toughest places to play in the country, says alot about UM. This dialogue smacks of whining. While the score may not reflect the reality of the game, you made 1AA proud, again.:nod:

bkrownd
September 5th, 2006, 11:03 PM
Taking a knee is for politicians and losers. If your feelings are hurt (boo-hoo) you don't belong on the field.

bkrownd
September 5th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Man it seems to me that every NFL game I watch they take a knee. You guys calling them pussies?

They're prima donnas. That bunch is a circus act, not football.

bkrownd
September 5th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Just to play a little "Devil's Advocate"... I think that it would have been "Un-Sportsmanlike" to TAKE a knee at the end of this game! That is like saying "You guys aren't worth us wasting a play or two, we're so much better than you, WE don't even have to play the last few minutes!"

That's a fact, Jack!

Tod
September 5th, 2006, 11:24 PM
It's situational.

jwfgeol
September 6th, 2006, 09:08 AM
First game of the season, no, don't take a knee. I want those second or third stringers getting a couple of reps.
I agree with this, especially in the first game of the season. You need your second-stringers getting reps against someone other than your own practice squad. And not just taking a knee. I don't think it's running up the score if you have subs in and they are still able to score.

griz37
September 9th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Hey Ronbo, did you see that fake punt w/the Griz up by 29 & about 30 seconds left in the game?

AggiePride
September 9th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Agree 1000% with D1B and Hauck.

D1B is correct about benchers getting into a game, for perhaps only once in a career, then having to take a knee in front of Mom, Dad, Li'l Bro, Li'l Sis, and Jennie, your highschool sweetheart/soon to be fiancee'. Embarrassing. Having never played the game, most of you cannot understand.

Hauck is right about defense's business being to stop the offense.

This should not be an issue. I watched the entire game, rooted for the Griz vociferously, and was not at all uncomfortable when Iowa scored that last TD (and, egalitarian that Cap'n Cat is, he gets pretty sensitive about that shat). In no way shape or form were they goring the Griz. The Griz coulda stopped 'em.

Appeals to oldtime notions of "decency" and "sportsmanship" are lost here, guys. Leave that crap at home.

: smh : : smh : : smh : : smh :
:thumbsup:

Tod
September 9th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Hey Ronbo, did you see that fake punt w/the Griz up by 29 & about 30 seconds left in the game?

Turns out that SDSU called a timeout and was gearing up for a block. Since they had already roughed our kicker at least twice, BH was not willing to risk an injury, so called for the fake punt. Once that was over, the Griz took a knee.

I'm totally cool with that, you should be too. :nod:

griz37
September 9th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Turns out that SDSU called a timeout and was gearing up for a block. Since they had already roughed our kicker at least twice, BH was not willing to risk an injury, so called for the fake punt. Once that was over, the Griz took a knee.

I'm totally cool with that, you should be too. :nod:

I had no problem w/what Hauck did. I just wanted Ronbo to admit that what the Griz did today was pretty much the exact same thing Iowa did. :thumbsup:

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Lehigh 31 'Nova 28 Final!!!! YES!!!!!

Ronbo
September 9th, 2006, 08:51 PM
I had no problem w/what Hauck did. I just wanted Ronbo to admit that what the Griz did today was pretty much the exact same thing Iowa did. :thumbsup:

Note we pulled our starters in the third quarter, then pulled our #2's in the mid 4th quarter. We faked the last punt because the block was on and then took a knee as we always do when we have the last possession. Iowa kept in their #1's till 8 minutes to go and on that last drive ran a hurry up offense that featured 3 sideline out passes out of bounds to stop the clock. We DID NOT do what Iowa did.

skinny_uncle
September 9th, 2006, 09:41 PM
:deadhorse: